Interesting (speed-) Mapping Idea
Again originated in the Doom community:
The 32in24 projects. The idea is that one mapper creates a basic layout (for a DM map) with gameplay (item placement), then another takes over and details the map. Each one has 12 hours to complete his job, so in the end there are (theoretically) 32 new maps, given there are enough participants, after one day.
Now, of course it would have to be a little different with Quake. I'd say each mapper had 24 hours for his part, and no fixed amount of maps.
From the Doomworld thread:
Layout Rules: [...]
- Create a basic layout, with direct focus on gameplay. Disregard detail almost completely.
- Must place items, including Player 1 start, At least 8 DM starts, and weapons. Must also include exit. DO NOT FLAG ITEMS MULTIPLAYER.
Detailer Rules: [...]
- Call a map in the 32in24 thread (when calling, check to see if anyone else is working on the map before you start)
- Try to preserve gameplay as faithfully as possible; consult layout mapper if you want to make changes to layout/items
- Build outwards whenever possible, especially in small areas.
- Impassible lines are your friends! We don't like bumping into stuff :(
- Make the map look damn sexy