....for all you bitches who like playing in a fucking chess-board grid:
Did I mention how fucking good the graphics and details and world is in Grim Dawn?? Been playing the expansion and it's more of the same but more proper ARPG fun in a beautifully presented setting.
So. 1 hour into Wolfenstein The New Colossus and it has managed to pack in: racism, fat-shaming, animal cruelty, anti-semitism, abusive parenting, implied necrophilia, disability mocking, cultural stereo-typing, decapitation and dismemberment. Good effort!
Is it missing something?
In Other Words
Yeah so finished AC Unity. First next gen title I've played, looks like Ubisofts next gen engine is one real beauty. People like to rubbish big publishers like Ubisoft with their uplay, microtransactions, repetitive game releases, dumbed down gameplay. But they probably don't get as much credit as they deserve with the way they've pushed some areas of the industry, particularly the amazing amount of detail they put into the design of their Ass Creed games.
Look at these:
Meanwhile Dark Souls 2 has 4 brush hallways and is hailed as game of the year 2014. God, imagine if DS2 looked like this. What other games have this level of detail in 2014, or graphic capabilities that isn't Cryengine which no one uses anyway so there must be something wrong with it.
Anyway Unity, finally a game that feels like a real lived in city, which 1000s of people in it and always stuff happening on every street corner. The attention to detail in this game is amazing. I assume the next 2 AC games are just as detailed.
Gameplay is just the same old shit though, so 7/10 it gets from me. They're not even attempting to continue the main story arc anymore.
Predictions For Wolfenstein 3: The Ancient Colossal Blood.
(Based on the masterpiece of subtlety and coherence that is Woflmao2: The Nu Colossus.)
1. The Nazis have successfully managed to clone Hitler and most of the larger enemies in the game are equipped with chain-cannons firing a stream of actual Hitlers at you. It's possible to use one of these cannons yourself in you can put up with the incessant German-tourettes ranting from the ammo compartment.
2. Half of the cutscenes are song-and-dance numbers set to increasingly bewildering EDM micro-genres, with the NPCs personalities mostly based on 4chan posters. The order of the cutscenes and missions is entirely randomised and can only be reverted to chronological order by editing a hidden encrypted .ini file that's revealed if you collect 100% of secrets on your first run through.
3. You get anally impregnated as part of an abhorrent Nazi medical experiment (hinted at with a hallucinatory anus-cam cutscene) and then have to successfully give birth in a critical Quicktime event, to a biomechanical combat drone who then accompanies you with a mixture of wise-cracking quips and morose Descartian philosophy.
4. Every weapon you pick up gets added to your current wielding but reduces the amount of health and armour you carry, so that by the late game you have 10% maximum health but 12 different weapons circling the screen with a damage output of 480,000 HP - if you can see any enemies in the tiny oval of view available.
5. For the final boss you descend into Nazi-Vahalla to fight the Aryan version of Satan himself, but in a surprise twist it turns out Satan is your father, you emotionally reconcile, he realises the error of his ways, and wipes out the Nazi master race via a gene-tailored plague that causes violently deadly diarrhoea and all Nazi troopers to drown in their own armour suits - shown in glorious HD slo-mo close-up as one of the 17 finishing cutscenes.
You heard it here first. Bethesda NDAs have nothing on me, nothing!
This is the perfect spiritual successor to Quake.
Shambler gave me an excuse to shamelessly self-promote. I wrote a review of Wolf 2 a while back.
So Wofl 2 Itself.
+ Graphics were great and ran super smooth.
+ Varied locations and styles.
+ Submarine base was super-stylish and detailed.
+ Weapons satisfying once upgraded.
+ Gameplay can be fun + exciting when it works.
+ Enemy reasonably interesting for Nazi style.
+ A FEW of the cutscenes were lol.
+ Many areas have minor multiple routes.
- No smooth progression through game world, each section completely separate.
- Small bits of gameplay constantly broken up by cutscenes.
- Items / secrets entirely useless fluff / concepts / starcards bullshit, apart from weapon upgrades.
- No control over perks.
- Far too many and far too long.
- Can't tell which ones are insta-skip and which ones are useful to advance plot.
- Emotional tone of the cutscenes and indeed game is all over the place and constantly jarring between American teen movie comedy, doom and gloom philosophy, Tarantino OTT farce.
- Generally hallucinatory MTV-generation ritalin-required OTT incoherence for teenagers raised on Youtube and social-media memes.
- Player is less of a glass cannon and more of a semi-frozen piss cannon with all enemies armed with one-shot hairdryers as well as normal weapons.
- Fragility means less hectic action, more cover-based shooter, or constant quickloading.
- Ammo absolutely EVERYWHERE so little use for managing ammo nor weapon usages.
- Settings so detailed and sometimes so gloomy / foggy that enemy are entirely invisible except crosshair.
- Heavy weapons frustrating as uberslow movement = more instant death.
Basically it's a mess. A classic example of ignoring "less is more", shoving absolutely everything in that the crack-smoking devs could possibly think of, without any thought to the overall result. OTOH if it is a fun shooter when it works, and if they'd taken out 2/3 of the cutscenes, added in 1/3 more gameplay, and linked the missions together more, it could have been great...
As A Contrast.
30 mins into Prey, which has another long-ish "intro", and is so far hampered by boring scenery, it's already more interesting and more gripping than entire WOFL2 game....
Call Of Cthuhlu
Errr M8 U B0rked That Link Right Up.
Played Some Older Shooters...
So these games aren't that new, but I recently played them and really liked them so I thought I'd post a little review.
F.E.A.R. (2005) - I really love the gameplay in this one. The AI is just vicious and the old school healthpacks and armor shard pick ups make this a very challenging shooter. The office buildings get very repetitive, and the textures suck mostly, but the environment changes later in the game. The combat, particle, effects and sounds are just mind blowing, even now in 2018 it looks amazing.
The story is really simple and cliche but its still a good ghost/revenge story, and combined with the great lighting effects the game is very spooky at times.
Return to Castle Wolfenstein (2001) - What a game, just a classic shooter in every respect. Brutal difficulty, great level designs, and a huge variety of enemies and weapons. Each level has a different theme to it, and some are even based on stealth (which only works to an extent). The art work in this game is just spot on, and it really gives a great supernatural/World War 2 feeling.
The environments and enemy models are really well detailed for a Q3 engine game. The gameplay is old-school all the way and perhaps even too difficult towards the end of the game. Highly recommended for lovers of 90s style FPSs.
A few flaws with it:
1. The future art deco style is a matter of taste.
2. Navigating the station can become tiresome - slow inside, confusing outside.
3. The initially thrilling Typhon lose a bit of impact in the late game.
4. The crew quarters are unrealistically small.
5. The lack of a reflection in the many mirrors is jarring.
I dock it a percent for each of those flaws - down to 95%
Everything else is excellent. Really spot on. Single player gaming at it's best, up there with the top plot-driven intelligent FPSes and continuing their traditions perfectly. I know I'm late to last year's party, but if anyone is sitting on the fence, just do it.
Yay? Nay? Consensus? Anyone playing? Might be willing to spend the money if we could set up more play sessions
See #discord Dicussions.
Waiting for negke to test it. But I'm up for it.
Played it a bit during lunch break, seems fun enough. Not sure I'll play it with you bastards though, because GO MAP! But who knows...
More XCom Cloneage
BUT also has real time exploration and, errr, mutant people with duck heads??
On The Other Hand This Is Somewhat Different:
Cute mouse RPG adventure but looks really nice style. I am actually trying it!!
Free Game: Spec Ops -- The Line
Thank you =D
Mutant Year Zero
looks bloody great. Looking forward to final release :)
Ghost Of A Tale
aka Mouse Souls: Prepare To Styx Edition.
Basically if what you really want in gaming is a direct combination of Styx (gameplay mechanics), Wind In The Willows (characters and theme) and a hint of Dark Souls (map unfolding and occasional traps), then this is the game you've been waiting for. And it's actually really well done, if you don't mind slow gameplay as your routes and quests slowwwly unfold. The setting and plot are good (although the game world is tiny), the control system is refreshingly direct and responsive, and the mouse Tilo is endearingly cute and well animated. There's a few issues: some graphical glitches, textures are a bit busy, night time is very gloomy, navigating the world is slow, and it really could have done with voice acting - not least because the characters and dialogue are pretty good. But I really liked it (and I am not a fan of cartoony cuteness) and reckon it's worth a look...
It's Also On Sale Right Now
Free Game: Satellite Reign
Still valid for 30 hours as of the time of this post.
Hey, I think I saw that game in one of Ross Scott's videos recently. One more for the pile of free games from the Bundle, then.
game worth trying?
I don't know if it is worth playing for you. I haven't played it myself either. The reviews at GOG or Steam or the like seem mostly positive, though.
Sorry I Fucked Up The Title In The Previous Post
Is there any way to correct that? Thanks.
Yes It Is Worth Playing.
It's not that deep / gripping, it's a quite repetitive, but it plays well, the gameworld and style are nice and the music is really good.
I have no regrets when I got it full price.
Overchoad More Like.
Spamming bullshit troll comments isn't suitable for unregistered users, sorry.
Awful For All The Reasons Discussed In #discord.
FARCALLOFDESTINY called and want their gameplay back.
number of elements Rage 2 shares with the amalgamated name Shambler created = 0
It's on. It's on like Fat Pat's thong.
Welcome to idiotville, popular: you. It is a horrible mishmash of cliches served up with a naff style, appalling marketing and ott motion blur and explosions obfuscating everything.
being the most popular idiot in idiotville doesnt sound like a bad deal. like i could be the biggest idiot in idiotville? but im actually the most popular so this is an honor.
Thats A Gameplay Trailer?
didn't have much gameplay. Well put together trailer though admittedly it is quite cliched.
The shooty shooty gun bits looked punchy enough, but would have to see more footage to be sure.
I Think The Trailer Did A Great Job....
...it's saved me £40 for sure.
By now, id's business plan seems to use each franchise for a different public.
Doom is their core singleplayer franchise.
Quake is their multiplayer franchise.
Wolfenstein is their story-driven franchise.
So, what will Rage be? Their sandbox/open-world franchise?
And most importantly, when will we get a Commander Keen reboot?
They still need a battle royale franchise
Crysis = Success
Far Cry = Success
Borderlands = Success
Rage 1 = Failure
So why not make Rage 2 basically a Crysis/FarCry gameplay with Borderlands environment mishmash. They don't owe the fans a damn thing after the way Doom3 and Rage got unfairly shat all over just because of stupidly high expectations.
#10386 And #10388
Pretty good points aye.
"Doom is their core singleplayer franchise. "
Fuckoff, where is the SP DLC / expansion pack whatever ?? :D
Why waste time with DLC when you can just crack on with "Doom 5 (aka Doom 4 / 2016 (aka "DOOM") 2)"
I assume that's what id's core team are doing, and if not then
The original Doom 2 was exactly this as we all know.
Let's Be Honest
when you nail the original, giving them more of the same for the sequel is often the smart move.
Shame Quake didn't turn out like that :(
Unreal Gold Is Free
You can get a free digital copy of Unreal Gold from Steam and GOG. The offer will be up for 35+ hours as of now.
Mothergunship Gun Crafting Range Free Demo
This is a free demo for an FPS with gun crafting mechanics. If you find it interesting, you can follow the game's development progress on Twitter @mothergunship .
^Totally Not A Self Promotion
yeah seems spammy, but primal is a user on our site, unless this is just someone pretending to be primal. Or primal was a spammer all along! Opinions?
It was my post without logging in. I am not any of the multiple people involved in making this game. If I were connected to it somehow, I would have said so.
I put the Twitter handle in there in case someone wants to find out more about the game. You can also find it by reading the Steam page carefully.
I'll be happy to take advice on how to word posts like this to not look spammy or self-promotional. I've made a few of them before and nobody's complained as far as I can remember.
In other news, I played Q.U.B.E Director's Cut recently, and it was all right with decent puzzle progression. Kind of like Portal in some ways, but not quite as engaging. Reviews suggest the sequel has easier puzzles, so I am skipping it for now.
Is BlackRoom TRYING to be the ugliest game ever made?
Romero's career really did take a turn for the worse after leaving id.
It was the "follow them on twitter" part that seemed the most like it was written by a marketer. :) But, because I recognized your name I didn't flag it as spam. It's a difficult line because community members like should be able to post links to games they think are cool/interesting, but we don't want outside spammers posting links like that. But the content of the post in both cases is the same. So the only way to tell them apart is if I know the person posting it. (Off topic posts to things like jewelry and bootleg purses are easier to flag)
I'll put in a bit of effort to justify my future game recommendations with either "this is an interesting take on the FPS formula; do check it out" or as "I am playing this and having a good time; might be your thing too."
And I should start to assume people can find the devs on social media etc. on their own. I won't be spamming links and Twitter handles anymore :)
Speaking of recommendations, I am currently playing Snakebird. I believe it's also on some mobile platforms, but I have the Steam version. I sincerely recommend it for puzzle game fans. It's solidly designed and really ramps up the difficulty while introducing just a few simple rules now and then. (That'd make it a "casual hard" game for lack of a better term.)
very stronbgly disliking the cover art for rage 2, and also the soundtrack they picked for the trailer (30 seconds one)
of the first rage, I really liked the graphics and the animations (the dynamic animations that considered the environment and where the enemies were hit).
I think I disliked everything else basically. THe gameplay was basically total health and life regeneration. Story stupid as hell.
Decent Underground Is Better
Free Ziggurat From GOG
GOG is giving away Ziggurat during the next 48 hours. It should be worth at least a couple of hours of play, because of the variety in character classes, perks and weapons. (Unfortunately you have to unlock most of them. Editing XML files would be cheating, right? ;)
revealed on E3, more in august
Thanks for the head up. Grab a copy ot that.
Doom Eternal Trailer
Layers of Fear is free on Steam for 48 hours. Just add it to your account now and keep it forever. This game is a beautiful masterpiece of psychedelic horror.