News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Mapping Help
This is the place to ask about mapping problems, techniques, and bug fixing, and pretty much anything else you want to do in the level editor.

For questions about coding, check out the Coding Help thread: http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=60097
First | Previous | Next | Last
Funny How This... 
stuff comes up when i am working on the exact tutorial that covers this info! 

Yeah I asked this on your latest video @dumptruck_ds, it's because of your videos I came to this site to begin with. Looking forward to more of your tutorials. And to everybody else, thanks for the info. 
@Maxxwell07 
Great news. Well this is the place to come for any Quake questions. I guess I need to do a more in-depth compiling tutorial soon. That would have helped. Welcome! 
Question 
hello everyone

In terms of performance, is it better to have several sky brushes or a single big bush? Let's say I have a wall with 3 windows; should I make three individual brushes with the sky texture or a single big brush with the sky texture behind the wall?

Thanks 
Vaf 
It makes absolutely no difference, type r_showtris 2 in the console in game to see how your brushes are turned into triangles. 
@Bal 
Alright, that's good to know. Thanks! 

Just started mapping for Quake 2 and I wanted to know if you guys recommend any command line tools for:

1) bsp, vis, rad. Right now I'm using qbism/q2tools-220
2) creating wad's from PCX?
3) creating font textures?
4) creating skies?

Also, is there any documentation for special Q2 textures like there is for Q1?

https://quakewiki.org/wiki/Textures 
@q2fan 
Welcome. There aren't as many q2 mappers around these parts. A few. But don't take the silence personally.

Have you visited tastyspleen? http://forum.tastyspleen.net/quake/index.php?board=40.0 
Not Really Mapping Help... 
http://quake.wikia.com/wiki/Cut_content_(Q1)

Those images that look like they are from Deluxe Paint, the ones with the grid, where are they from?

I tried google image search and did not find anything. I reckon at some point Romero released some stuff like this, similar how he did with Doom.

Does anyone have a link to this?

Would be much appreciated. :) 
Ericw's Tools And _mirrorinside 
Here's a conundrum for anyone familiar with ericw's tools' extra options:

_mirrorinside (part of the extra options added by qbsp) causes any default brush entity to act as a sort of clip brush, which allows players and enemies to both see and shoot each other through it regardless of what faces are visible or textured with what, but can't be walked through. This applies to both stationary func_walls as well as func_doors (and I assume any other brush entity that acts similarly) and obviously illusionaries as well, which act normally (can be passed through). Any entity that requires being shot (i.e. buttons with health set) become inoperable due to all gunfire passing right through.

It's not listed in the readme anywhere that _mirrorinside should only be used on illusionaries and similar entities, and it does properly mirror the exterior to the interior of any brush entity, so I assumed all was good, but now I realize something's kind of fucky. Interestingly func_details are not affected by this- i.e. a func_detail_wall remains a solid wall that can be neither shot through nor walked through- which makes sense as so far as I can tell one of the main purposes of _mirrorinside is making truly flat fences and similar using a detail brush and making every side but the one you want skip, thus mirroring the one that's left. Just not sure if this is a bug or undocumented behavior, given _mirrorinside seems pretty experimental to begin with- can provide an example .bsp and .map if needed. 
Editing Md2 Model Headers 
Hi everyone, I'm trying my hand at Quake 2 modding and I was hoping someone here could help me out.

So far I'm trying to use Blender, I installed scripts for importing .md2 files but I'm struggling because the .pcx skins aren't supported by Blender... I converted them to .tga but I can't change the .md2 file's header to use the converted skin instead... :\

Any recommendations would be welcome. 

if you can't rename the pcx, rename the tga instead and hope the reader goes by contents instead of some random part of the filename. 

It didn't work, but meanwhile I did a lot more tests and I think I understand what's going on a bit better.

I still can't get the skins to show up in Blender, but I guess that's just because they have poor support for old model formats. I could get it to work in Misfit Model 3D, but I'd still like to have a way to explicitly edit the md2's headers, which I couldn't do with anything so far.

BTW I love your work! You did a great job with FTE, it's already my favourite port for Quake 2. The only reason I don't use it more is because it's still a bit unstable on my system. 
VIS Question 
Should I run VIS each time I compile? I noticed that it still looks "vised" without running it and even new geometry doesn't stick.

P.S. there was a place on a map, that got a hole after VIS. But after I compiled it without VIS the hole was gone. 

firstly, never embed fence textures into the worldmodel. tools can't cope with that yet.

in theory, vis is purely an optimisation. in practise there's a few sideeffects like avoiding excessive network bloat or insignificant stuff like checkclient returning world instead of the qc then using a traceline that's doomed to failure.
In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter all that much, but be sure to vis before release. 
Map Music 
In regards to Quake's music, I hate it. Hence I do not have it installed and do not ever bother with setting a track number. But I want to know how to best make my maps for a broad audience.

1. What happens if worldspawn doesn't have a track number set?

2. Which track is the most, er, generic and best suited as a default track? (Ya ya conflicted opinions incoming)

3. Is it possible to set a track number to null so that no cd music plays such that I can play my own scripted music sequences from ambient_generics (think Half-Life style)? I have a certain project that I would like to make more immersive through ambient sounds, triggered music events, and eerie silence in places. 
@19743 
In regards to Quake's music, I hate it.
Absolute heresy. Get the cross and torches.

1. What happens if worldspawn doesn't have a track number set?
The track number will default to 0, which doesn't exist and so won't play anything. Some ports will print an error message in the console when this happens, i.e. Quakespasm with external music enabled prints couldn't find a cdrip for track 0

Vanilla will continue playing whatever track it was already playing. QS will stop completely. Or in other words, its engine-specific behaviour so good luck with that one...
You can be anal about it and get some mod to send a 'cd stop\n' stuffcmd, but that takes away the user's choices and doesn't really matter that much anyway. 
@Qmaster 
See void() ExitIntermission = in client.qc ... for a example.

WriteByte (MSG_ALL, SVC_CDTRACK);
WriteByte (MSG_ALL, 2); // <-- Set this --- Track number
WriteByte (MSG_ALL, 3); // (unused in Quake engine)

I would set SVC_CDTRACK to 0 replacing WriteByte (MSG_ALL, 2) to WriteByte (MSG_ALL, 0) to stop music.

It's the best you can do and would work
Quakespasm.

I think track 0 should mean no music. All of the original Quake maps have cdtrack set.

Trying to stuff cmd music commands is evil. Engines shouldn't permit it.

Case in point: If you want to be jerk, stuffcmd "cd eject" every frame. 
Thanks! 
I agree, stuffcmds can be pretty evil when used wrongly:

"showpause 0;save quick;cd eject;pause;pausable 0\n"

Stuff dat. No really please don't. Everyone should backup their cfg file. 
Music 
Well if you don't like the default music you can package your own. If you worry a lot about copyright you can just go on youtube and search "royalty free (insert genre here)", Teknoaxe makes some decent quake style tracks, I am thinking abouy using one of their songs for a map I am working on 
@Baker 
Numbered tracks need to die, at least for new content. If the server stuffcmded 'cd loop $world.sounds\n' instead then a) it would be functionally the same as svc_cdtrack. b) the field could be parsed specifically and replaced with an actual string.
This would avoid conflicts between maps picking the same track number, and allow mappers to be explicit about the music's filename extension.

This assumes that noone tried 'streamlining' an engine by stripping out compat, and that noone failed to support faketracks properly... 

99 sound tracks ought to be enough for anybody.

Is numbered tracks perfect? No.

But svc_cdtrack works and is Quake compatible.

There is not really a meaningful problem to be found here.

/One opinion 
Unless You Are Trying To Go Full Ambient No Music Or HL2 Style 
But I think just using track 0 is simplest. Turns out I've always done that so ha! Thanks guys. 
Connecting Maps 
I made two small seperate maps with availabe doors.
In Quark6.6 I make a copy of one map.
Then I load the second and paste the first one.
II made sure the maps are on grid and close tight to eachother.

When I try to enter from the first to the second,
there is no visible bar but, I can't get through. 

Rogue clip or skip brush? Some bounding box in the way? What if you delete the brushes around the map transition? 
@-negke 
I have no idea where to search. I remembered I have met the error earlier. Then it were misaligned brushes.
In this case all brushes are on grid.
xmirror 

Have you actually snapped all brushes to the grid? This is important especially when working with Crocodile Dundee-type of editors like Quark.
Also be sure to use up-to-date versions of the compilers, not the old ones that come with Quark. These for example. Using them, the map leaks, but it appears the corridor in question is accessible. Might be some odd floating point/degenerate brush issue.. 
Found It 
The Axe_Ogre would not walk over gaps of 32 units. I left in a microbrush on the floor.

Why won't the Ogres cross 32 units?
They are big enough I think so. 

Monster movement code uses hull 0 instead of hull 1 or 2 for checking the floor. This means any small gap deeper than step height will be a barrier to monster pathfinding. 
It's The Same AI Code For Little Guys And Big Bads 

Ai J Ai 
Will find myself in Gulliver once I reach Hull.
I have to tag that movement code better.:P 

Which tool do you guys use to create sprites for Q2? How can i create an sp2? 
Anony Mouse 
Quake1 uses FirmG to handel sprites. It has a lot of output extentions. Don't know if you can view q2 sprites with it. Quaketastic has a Firmg 0.2 under tools.

I'm not familiar with q2 sprites. It seems there's a program called:
Quake 2 Sprite Builder, but I couldn't find it. 

I could really use a cli tool for that. Can't find anything, though. :( 
Sp2 
if all else fails, just use a hex editor.
the format is basically trivial.
{magic="IDS2", version=2, numframes, {width, height, xoffset, yoffset, char pcxname[64] }[numframes] }
Yeah, sort enough to be able to commit to hunam memory, apparently.

Its the kind of format that should have just been a text file all along - hence .shaders being used for sprites in q3.

(q1 sprites are more complicated and also directly embed the pixel data. I don't recommend trying to hex-edit those...) 
Floating Powerups 
Anyone know how to make floating powerups in Quake 2? maybe there is some sort of brush I can set to collide with the powerup but not the player? Thanks 

Quoth2:

https://tomeofpreach.wordpress.com/quoth/tutorial/path_corner/

I have a problem with path_corner.
Can not use the "event" property. I set the "event" in the patch_corner, but when the func_trian leaves this point, there is no event. Is this the right name for the property? 

Make sure you have the full Quoth 2.2.patch from here

https://tomeofpreach.wordpress.com/quoth/

THIS IS DIFFERENT FROM QUOTH 2 OR QUOTH 2.1 OR QUOTH 2.2!! 
@Qmaster 
I have last version 2.2 

If you have latest 2.2 patch or full then it should work. Make sure the event has a unique targetname. Wait key will also work on newest version 
Yes, the event has a unique targetname. But still does not work 

If other quoth stuff is working try reinstall https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/quoth2pt2full.html 
Event Bug 
Do you have "wait" set on the path_corner? The page you linked says that event isn't compatible with that (it's really more an acknowledgement of a bug than a design decision, but still). 

Maybe a silly question, but how do people get it so that textures on faces that aren't parallel to the grid don't stretch? 

I use Valve mode to prevent that. You can convert to Valve format by using Eric's tools and you can also choose the format when creating a new map in Trenchbroom (drop down menu on bottom right when selecting the game for which you want to make maps). 

Ah, the map format thingie. Thanks. Guess Valve is useful for something these days. 
@Preach 
No, "wait" not set 
See The Map 
Hard to say what's going wrong without seeing the map itself then, email it over to me and I'll take a look... 
@Preach 
Pardon me! I use my own utility for select a portion of the map and this utility changes "target" to other name.

I try simple compile and it works correctly.

Sorry once again! 
Trigger Problems 
Hi!
Got a real bad trigger problem in my first map.
When I come to the middle of the game and have passed some triggers the others are all fired. Doors are opend things are working without activation?

Any idea to this? 
Trigger Problems 
Hi!
Got a real bad trigger problem in my first map.
When I come to the middle of the game and have passed some triggers the others are all fired. Doors are opend things are working without activation?

Any idea to this? 
Targetnames Vs. Targets 
It's easy to get these mixed up. Double check everything. And what editor are you using? 
@dumptruck_ds 
Trenchbroom 2.

The only idea I have is to give every trigger a targetname. Could this help? I checked some targets before and they all have different names so I can't imagine why they should be activated when one target begins with cave_ and another with sink_. 
GunSgtHighway 
No reason to give triggers a targetname unless you want another entity to trigger it. So that might make things a bit confusing.

Without seeing the map it's really tough to know what is up. If you'd like me to take a look I can this evening.

One suggestion is to create a new test map and re-create each target/targetname one by one there to ensure your map isn't somehow corrupted and to double check you are following the right logic in your setups. 

Doesn't "everything has fired" normally happen when you set a trigger with a blank target field (as opposed to no target field)? Check for that. 
@ Dumptruck_ds And PRITCHARD 
Thanks for your help guys!

After giving every trigger and button a targetname the problem doesn't come back. It seems that wathever triggerd the problem, giving a name to these objects avoids other triggers to activate them or there targets.
And yes there was a trigger with no target and only a killtarget so I fixed that.

Looking forward to upload a full playable beta in a month when fixed the last issues. 

wtf is trenchbrooms problem, the first time i run it i import the q2 texture wad, it works fine, now it wont work at all, the necros gui will not launch, nothing wants to work anymore wtf has gone wrong, ive even reinstalled it and it wont even regonize that q2 wad anymore. 

Theres a lack of information and an abundance of attitude in that post. Please try posting again and correcting these 2 things. 

I dont really know what else there is to explain, i goto materials add the wad, and no textures load, I've tried different wad files and nothing.

and the thing is it worked the first time i booted trenchbroom, just add the wad, not much else to it, and it worked but when i exited and started again it just will not load wad files anymore

is there some reg files i can delete? 

To clarify, youre attempting to load textures for Quake 2? Quake2 doesnt use wads so youre confusing the issue a bit.

https://imgur.com/TIdYr85

I set Q2 up and got it to work. Closed and restarted TB, still works. Did you perhaps make changes to the quake2.cfg in your trenchbroom/games folder? 

No just a quake 1 map using the q2tex00.wad, Ive used it before

only log message i get is

Could not load palette file 'gfx\palette.lmp': File not found: 'gfx\palette.lmp' 

all sorted, just had to reinstall it a few times, no idea what its problem is still. 

providing that error message wouldve been a massive help :D

you must have done some changes in your quake/id1/gfx directory that got rid of the palette. 
Min Light 
I'm making my first map in Trenchbroom. I set a light key in worldspawn just so I could see perfectly while testing some stuff. However, I now can't figure out how to return to default blackness. I tried both removing the light key from worldspawn and setting it to 0 but either way the world is still bright despite there being zero lights. Can I have some help with this? 
Whirltsar 
Are you running light.exe on your bsp? If not it will always be fullbright. 

Yep, I'm using light.exe. And have tried a few different exe's but nothing is changing. 
No Light Entities --> Fullbright Map 
If your map has no light entities in it, the map will be fullbright. As soon as you add even one light entity, all the non-illuminated areas will become dark. 

Thanks! I had a feeling it would be something stupidly simple / obvious... 
Speaking Of Fullbrights... 
Is there a way to make one specific room in a map look fullbright other than stuffing it with maxed out lights? I had this idea of making a funny "noob mapper" secret with blocky offgrid architecture and texture misalignments aplenty... 
Delay 4 
Is your friend.

Check out my SM185 entry for a good use case. 
Thanks OTP! 

Make sure you use the exit texture on a wall. The entire wall. And columns that have gaps under them not touching the floor. And a door that flickers through a wall when it's open. 
Oh Yeah, Z-fighting Door! 
Thanks for the ideas, Qmaster! 

If you want more inspiration, play SM49. The theme was "crappy
Maps"

https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/sm49_pack.html 
Haha, Wow! 
A whole slew of crappy maps? I'm just making one secret room, guys... ;) Thanks anyway metl, I'll check it out. 
Might Need Some Better Anti-spam Tactics Here Mtetl. 

Strictly Deleting Double Posts? 

To Anyone Who Knows How To Make Levels For Quake 1 Using The J.A.C.K. 
I have experience with making maps for Half-Life 1 and the classic DOOM games and I'm trying to learn how to make levels for Quake 1, I've gotten the editor from the original site and made a pretty decent looking level, it might not be making the .BSP file. Hers what the compilation looks like.

** Executing...
** Command: Change Directory
** Parameters: D:/Program Files EXT/Steam/steamapps/common/Quake/Id1/mods

** Executing...
** Command: D:/QuakeDev/tools/ericw-tools-v0.18.1-win64/ericw-tools-v0.18.1-win64/bin/bspinfo.exe
** Parameters: "D:\Program Files EXT\Steam\steamapps\common\Quake\Id1\mods\maps\maps"
---- bspinfo / ericw-tools v0.18.1 ----
---------------------
D:\Program Files EXT\Steam\steamapps\common\Quake\Id1\mods\maps\maps.bsp
LoadBSPFile: 'D:\Program Files EXT\Steam\steamapps\common\Quake\Id1\mods\maps\maps.bsp'
************ ERROR ************
Error opening D:\Program Files EXT\Steam\steamapps\common\Quake\Id1\mods\maps\maps.bsp: No such file or directory

** Executing...
** Command: D:/Program Files EXT/J.A.C.K./quake/vis.exe
** Parameters: "D:\Program Files EXT\Steam\steamapps\common\Quake\Id1\mods\maps\maps"
Quake VIS Compiler (build Dec 11 2013)
------------ vis ------------
Error opening D:\Program Files EXT\Steam\steamapps\common\Quake\Id1\mods\maps\maps.bsp: No such file or directory

** Executing...
** Command: D:/Program Files EXT/J.A.C.K./quake/light.exe
Quake LIGHT Compiler (build Oct 6 2015)
----------- light -----------

I use an external hard drive if that has any importance. 
To Anyone Who Knows About J.A.C.K. Update 
I tried going to the steam community for help, one person said to re- select the compiler tools in my configurations, I tried that but it still didn't work out. When I go into Quake and put in to load my map in the dev console, it still says that it can't spawn world server (whatever that is) and says the theres no .BSP file. Here's what the compilation looks like now.

** Executing...
** Command: Change Directory
** Parameters: D:/Program Files EXT/Steam/steamapps/common/Quake/Id1/mods

** Executing...
** Command: D:/QuakeDev/tools/ericw-tools-v0.18.1-win64/ericw-tools-v0.18.1-win64/bin/bsputil.exe
---- bsputil / ericw-tools v0.18.1 ----
---------------------
D:\Program Files EXT\Steam\steamapps\common\Quake\Id1\mods\maps\maps.bsp
LoadBSPFile: 'D:\Program Files EXT\Steam\steamapps\common\Quake\Id1\mods\maps\maps.bsp'
BSP is version 29
---------------------

** Executing...
** Command: D:/QuakeDev/tools/ericw-tools-v0.18.1-win64/ericw-tools-v0.18.1-win64/bin/vis.exe
---- vis / ericw-tools v0.18.1 ----
running with 2 threads
testlevel = 4
BSP is version 29
LoadPortals: couldn't read D:\Program Files EXT\Steam\steamapps\common\Quake\Id1\mods\maps\maps.prt
No vising performed.

** Executing...
** Command: D:/QuakeDev/tools/ericw-tools-v0.18.1-win64/ericw-tools-v0.18.1-win64/bin/light.exe
---- light / ericw-tools v0.18.1 ----
Raytracing backend: Embree
running with 2 threads
BSP is version 29
--- LoadEntities ---
7 entities read, 1 are lights.
--- OptionsSummary ---
Embree_TraceInit: Embree version: 2.15.0
Embree_TraceInit:
43 sky faces
696 solid faces
0 filtered faces
0 shadow-casting skip faces
SetupLights: 1 initial lights
SetupLights: 1 after surface lights
SetupLights: 1 after jittering
--- EstimateLightVisibility ---
Final count: 1 lights 0 suns in use.
--- LightWorld ---
Lighting Completed.

lightdatasize: 836
0 switchable light styles (32 max)
Writing D:\Program Files EXT\Steam\steamapps\common\Quake\Id1\mods\maps\maps.bsp as BSP version 29
0.744 seconds elapsed

stats:
0.032442 lights tested, 0.007996 hits per sample point
0.000000 bounce lights tested, 0.000000 hits per sample point
0 empty lightmaps

PLEASE! FOR THE LOVE OF QUAKE AND ALL THAT IS UNHOLY, HELP ME! 

The folder structure is wrong, and your map is called "maps.bsp" which sounds like a mistake. You have:

Id1\mods\maps\maps.bsp

what it should be:

Id1\maps\your_map_name.bsp

and once you have it set up like that, you'll be able to launch it in game by typing "map your_map_name" at the console.

I'm not familiar with JACK but if you can make it stop using the "mods" subdirectory of id1, the folder structure should be correct. 
To Anyone Who Knows About J.A.C.K. Update 2 
Just tried that, Thanks for the advice, I think I'm almost there. But now it's not make the .BSP file again. 
To Anyone Who Knows About J.A.C.K. Update 2 
I would paste the compilation, but this only supports 5000 letters. 
To Anyone Who Knows About J.A.C.K. Update 3 SOLVED!!! 
SO! *lip smacks* found out were the .BSP files are going!

m y e x t e r n a l h a r d d r i v e .

Every time I've compiled this, the .BSP file was being made in my external hard drive RATHER than my maps folder. It's been staring me right in front of me and I was to stupid to see it. It's like doing a child's puzzle... but with sever blindness.

*face palms, laughs, and cries, all at the same time

Thanks for your time and advice! 

Button Help [EDIT]
Posted by Yuccaz on 2018/09/02 19:49:35
Hi,
Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I couldnt see a way to post in 'Mapping Help'

Many thanks to Dumptruck for his great videos! After 20 years of loving Quake I am now enjoying making 'maps', something I thought I could never do. Whether anyone would want to play them is another matter :)

Anyway my problem...

I have created a button pointing to a train which works as intended however, when pushed it triggers all the monsters on he map? I can here all the fish and scrags all up for a fight, when I dont push it monsters act as normal eg triggered on sight etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks
yuc 

The buttons target field is probably empty. 
I Love You Muk 
:) 

I apologize for the probably idiotic question but I'm not entirely sure how to go about this, I'm not even sure if this is the right place to ask.
How do mappers record those sexy free roam demos they put up on youtube? do you do that with the mapping program and something like OBS or is there a way to do it in quakespasm? 

Not sure what type of free roam videos you're referring to but you can load up a map in your source port of choice, type "noclip" and "notarget" in console, and then fly around to your heart's content.

You can record a demo usually by typing "record name_of_demo" but then you have to go through the extra step of converting the demo to a format that can be uploaded to youtube. OBS as you already mentioned is the easiest method - you can use game capture and record straight to mp4 or flv among other formats. It's as easy as downloading the program, selecting game capture, maybe setting a few recording options, and then pressing the record button within OBS. 

Theyre recording a demo in the engine.

Bring down the console and do

record your_demo_name

you can name the demo whatever you wish. This is saved into the id1 folder if youre playing vanilla Quake. Otherwise itll be in the mod folder of whatever mod youre playing.

Then, to get the nice smooth look as seen in this video, run the demo file through this tool.

Just drag and drop the .dem file onto the tool.

Then to replay it in the engine, put the file into the id1 folder (or the folder for whatever mod you recorded it in), open your engine and do

playdemo your_demo_name

from there youll need to use OBS or some other screen capture software to create the video. 

Nice, the only other thing I needed to do was hide the gun model and now I can record some pretty footage.
Thanks man. 

r_drawviewmodel 0

to hide the weapon

crosshair 0

to hide the crosshair

change the 0 to a 1 to turn them back on. 

I already knew how to do that, but I didn't express myself clearly, sorry about that.
Thanks anyways to both of you, at first I replied before seeing the second message, but that smooth demo tool will surely come in handy. 
Button Help - Thanks Muk 
Hi muk, I renamed the target of the train and button and now all sorted, many thanks for your speedy reply. I have much to learn...I'm loving this map building :)
Don't think i'll release anything soon but may be one day once i've figured it all out. cheers Yuc 
Importing OBJ As Brushes? 
Is this possible to do? I feel the editor tools are too limited when it comes to creating complex shapes so is it possible to create a obj model and them import that as a brush? I know its possible to export brushes as obj so I was wondering if the reverse is also possible. 
Rotating Objects In Arcane Dimensions 
Hello, this is my first post on Func_Messageboard so I'm pretty new to the rules and the way things work here but I was wondering something.

In Arcane Dimensions 1.7 (the latest release), there was a map (I think it was ad_swampy) that had a contraption which definitely caught my eye. It was two cogs that rotated seamlessly in opposite directions. That may be just a minor detail to any other player, but it was quite amazing how smooth the rotating motion was.

Now, I know that this was done in Scourge of Armagon by hipnotic but the rotation there is not smooth at all...more clunky. And I read somewhere that the way in which the rotation was done there was very cumbersome and complex.

So I was wondering...how did the maker of that AD map make such rotating entities? I am new to quake mapping so I do not know if this is possible already but I'd certainly like to know how it was done. I'd love to have such a feature in one of my maps (if it is possible at all). If anyone can help me with this I'd be very grateful! 
Hakkarin 
If you're familiar with coding you could collekt that info in the dev_kit1.7, that Sock distributes at his site.

Arcane_dimensions_devkit1.7 

It might be using .avelocity vector to rotate. If I recall that makes a brush entity rotate constantly. Just add key|value of avelocity and something like 0 100 0 for the value. You'll need to use the entity state system and a separate func_wall for the non rotating one. 
Rotating Brushes 
Source .map files are included with AD. Load it up in the editor and check it out. :) 
Quoth Problems With Some Entities 
I'm making a little map for Quoth but for some reason when I use the builtin trenchbroom quoth .fgd the bioboxes(they are just themed exploding barrels) don't appear in the map.
Other entities like plasma gun, forcefields, modified grunts and skyboxes appear fine

I tried to make a workaround by manually loading the .fgd from the downloaded quoth folder and although bioboxes appeared in the map the entity previews were messed up in TB(https://imgur.com/a/d772C8V) which makes placing entities harder

I assumed I would just use the builtin for placing entities and then manually load the new one for compiling, even though that is tedious.
But now even with the manually loaded .fgd bioboxes are gone!
Any help would be much appreciated, thanks! 

Make sure you have "developer 1" set in the console, so that you will see messages about entities falling out of the level.

It may be that something about the displayed bounding box for those entities is misleading (and therefore they might be placed too low or whatever). 
@barketmil 
Johnny is correct. Most likely this is the issue. IIRC quite a few of those entities in the FGD are a bit borked. I will ask around if there is a more up to date FDG that corrects this... TB has some FGD features that weren't available in WC and JACK. Maybe some one solved this. 

I updated the Quoth fgd included in Trenchbroom in v2.0.4, prior to that it had some minor things missing compared with Preach's master (a few extra flags etc.), but it should be up to date now. I'm not sure what the underlying cause of the bounding boxes seen in editor not matching what the game requires. Best bet is "developer 1" in the Quake console and giving problematic ents extra room. 

I made a very large map and the procedure vis is very long (in 7 hours only 30-35%). Whether there is a sense to use func_detail (as it correctly to use?) and whether it is possible for something to undertake still? 

Depending on the architecture on openness of the map, detail brushes can potentially save you a lot of VIS time. You'd have to restart the process, though. Normally, it seems VIS takes exponentially longer the closer it gets to 100%, so if you're already 7 hours in at only 30%, you can expect the whole thing to take a very long time.

Modern VIS saves the progress, so you can simply CTRL+C the process and do a func_detail test on a map with a different filename (and resume the current one if it proves unviable).
Turn structures into func_detail that do not block visibilty, for example columns, beams, and things sticking out from the walls. If you have terrain, like rocks, it can be helpful to make them func_detail as well while putting a flat brush behind it to seal the map. 

Thanks negke!

First start "vis" I had
14128 leafs
13820 clusters
48755 portals

After adding a few details, I got the following:
14184 leafs
13244 clusters
46904 portals

What affects the processing time? Leafs or clusters? 

Number of clusters and portals should be what determine the processing time.

The idea with func_detail is they're invisible to vis, so you have a simplified version of the map for vis to work with. A "cluster" is a leaf in the simplified map that vis sees. 

Thanks, ericw 
Testin Deathmatch Maps 
Hi Guys,
I am new here, so welcome everybody.
I am having a lot of fun from creating quake maps, but doing only deathmatch maps.
Would anyone be so kind and take a look on it from multiplayer point fo view and advice how to improve it ?
Map is already after few iteration of play -> adjust map. I think it is playable, we have had lot of fun at lat iteration :)

Anyone want help I will apreciate. 
Lighting Problem 
Hi guys, I've been coding/modding since the early 80's, but I'm new to Quake mapping and I've been working on my first map for over a month. After a long edit session I compiled the map and now the lighting is messed up (blotchy shadows everywhere) I thought I had accidentally placed a light outside the map boundaries but I can't find any so I'm at a loss. I tried searching the forum for lightmap/shadow issues but couldn't find an answer so I'm hoping you guys can save me from despair. Thanks 
Sir_Random 
Hi,
maybe you have added light with very high light value
Drop me MPA file if you want me to inspect. 

Thanks moko, I presume you mean MAP file? how can I send it to you?
I'll check the lights (200+) 
Or Maybe Just An Old .lit File In The Maps Dir? 
Moko: You could post the level in the Screenshots & Betas thread for people to download and check out if they are familiar with deathmatch. 
Negke 
Thank you SO much, it was a .lit file!! I tested the _color attribute on a light, then deleted the light but didn't think about deleting the .lit file. All part of the learning curve I guess.
Thanks again for the help negke, I've really enjoyed playing your maps too!

thanks moko for your kind offer of assistance.

Now back to finishing this map :) 
MOKO: 
I'm sure there are folks here (including me) who would be happy to look at your map and give opinions, but for the most part we're not expert Quake MP players. At least not these days. :-)

You might want to also look in on the quakeworld.nu maps forum: https://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/12/maps-textures

It's not super busy, but it does keep ticking along.

And there's the QuakeWorld Discord server, if you do the Discord thing: http://discord.quake.world/ 
@Moko 
You can add bot support to your maps which is fun but not perfect I know. Johnny has an excellent write-up on them here:

http://neogeographica.com/site/pages/guides/deathmatch_with_bots.html

If I tested your map I'd be using one of these bots! 
It's Easier To Summon The Devil Than To Load A Model 
Guys, since yesterday I'm trying to put a model in Quake but I don't achieve anything...

I downloaded Honey to see how the trees are there...

I did a simple torus model in 3ds Max, with a very low poly count and a single .bmp texture, I exported it to .obj and with Noesis to .mdl (is there an .mdl plugin for 3DS Max?)..

Then, in Trenchbroom I copypasted the Quake.fgd into QuakeParty.fgd and (I don't actually know what to put in there) I put this:

@PointClass size(0 0 0, 32 32 32) base(Appearflags) model({ "path": ":progs\torus.mdl" }) =
prop_torus : "Torus" []

Where "torus.mdl" is the model inside the "progs" folder inside a mod folder (my mod folder is called "party")

Someway it shows in the editor but I realized I cannot rotate it (and God knows what other things I cannot do with it)..

Then, inside the mod folder I created a "qc" folder with the QuakeC source, I created a "torus.qc" and there I put:

void() prop_torus =
{
precache_model("progs\torus.mdl");
setmodel(self, "progs\torus.mdl");
makestatic(self);
};

Then, I added torus.qc inside "progs.src"..

I put FTEQCC inside the "qc" folder, hit ·Rebuild· and my "progs.dat" appeared inside my mod folder..

Then, I put the model inside a test map (an open map btw), saved, compiled it, launched it with -game party and nothing happened..

There is this warning that shows in the console:

"Warning: Mod_LoadModel: progs orus.mdl not found"

Notice the missing first letter in the model name..

I came up until here, I no longer know what to do, this surpasses me..

Another question, should I do something else with my .bmp texture?, I undestand it's inside the .mdl...

Thanks in advance.. 
Party Boy 
You can check to see if it's an issue with your model by trying to load it using Arcane Dimensions (or some other mod that has a misc_model type entity). If it works there at least you know it's most likely a problem with your progs. 

Is the backslash being treated as an escape character somehow? 
Sdfghjkl 
It was the f* backslash!..

Anyway, it has no collision and I still can't rotate it, also texture coordinates went sideways..

https://i.imgur.com/X4knlrc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/udOmB72.jpg

(It's the default Unreal texture) 
Skin And Flags 
For rotating, import the model in Qmle30,
and set the right flag for rotating.
This prog can help you correkt the skinfile by importing the UV map.

Qmle30 

Well, I can't install it on 64 bits, I've found the 3.1 version but I can't find a .uvw import option (or I need to reapply mapping coordinates?)..

I'm sorry, this is really not intuitive.. 

You should try exporting your obj to mdl through Blender. It also has an option to add rotation on export.

Qme will destroy any smoothing groups you've applied to the model.

The model will not have collision by default, unless you write QuakeC for it. Just put clip brushes around it. Quake is several decades old, nothing is intuitive about it. 
R_aliassetupframe Error 
Hi guys, I've been testing my first map and came across a bug that produced this error:
r_aliassetupframe: no such frame 'x' for progs/h_demon.mdl
(where 'x' is the frame number, cycling from 0 to 32)

While playtesting with Quakespasm 0.93.0, a Demon was gibbed by an explobox but it's head continued chasing me around the map while that error was spammed in the console (one for each frame ('x') of the animation).

My guess is that the engine is trying to play the full demon.mdl animation on the head? Is this a known issue? I have created a progs.dat to fix the fish monster count and set state to SOLID_NOT (OCD) but it wasn't being used when the error occurred. The level is ready for beta release but I'd like to fix this issue first.
Thanks. 
That's A Weird One But Sounds Awesome Too 
There's a newer version of QS 0.93.1 -- also are you running at a higher refresh rate? 

Thanks for the quick reply dumptruck, I wouldn't even be here if not for your excellent tutorials, thanks for all your hard work!!

I'm not using v_sync, so I have variable framerate if that's what you mean? 
Thanks! 
I mean a higher refresh rate in your monitor. You' know it if you were as you need to set it in the engine in this case anyway. I ask about refresh rate because I searched here and that error was mentioned before in a thread elsewhere. I have no idea what could cause that so grasping at straws. :) 
Thanks 
No, just 60Hz
Thanks for the help, maybe it was a once off. I'll release as beta and see if anyone wants to test the map and see what happens. 
Re: Undead Fiend Head 
Hi Sir_Random, was the fiend mid-leap when the exploding box went off? Possibly it leapt into the box and set if off? I have a theory that you might have tumbled upon one of the many bugs that arise in the standard exploding box QuakeC code. 
Hi Preach 
It may well have been mid-leap, there was a lot going down at the time with ogre grenades and hell knight fire raining down :)

I haven't looked at the relevant code, but I'm surmising that when the Demon was gibbed it somehow wasn't flagged as dead, so the engine was still treating it's head as a walkmonster and trying to animate it. 
Now..where Was I 
One of the aspects of monsters dying in Quake which matters here is that the only real reason they don't continue attacking is that their think function gets reset by the death animation, so they never re-enter the ai loop. There's no other safeguard against a dead monster carrying actions out.

My guess of what happened is this:

Fiend leaps into the barrel and starts running Demon_JumpTouch
Demon_JumpTouch inflicts damage on the barrel
...The damage explodes the barrel
......The barrel explosion kills the fiend
..........The fiend turns into a head gib
Control returns to Demon_JumpTouch, which then sets a think function on the head gib, putting it back into the monster ai loop.

You might worry that this could happen in other situations, like if a grunt shot a barrel, blew it up, and died in the resulting explosion, would it also become a zombie? The answer is no, because army_atk5 sets a think function before it inflicts any damage. In fact, almost all monster animation functions set the think function before they take any action.

Demon_JumpTouch is an exception because it's a touch function that can triggers ai functions, and does so in an unusual order. The fact that the fiend was a head gib might have caused it to find one of the paths through the function that set an ai function (not all of them do).

Having gone on about Demon_JumpTouch so much, you might expect that the fix should be located there. But actually the traditional fix in QuakeC mods is just to add a short nextthink delay to the explosion of a barrel. This fixes whole other categories of bug - like multiple barrels exploding at the same time and resetting each other's radius damage loop. It also prevents the explosion interrupting other code, such as Demon_JumpTouch - which is especially confusing when the monster might change from alive to dead during the interruption! 
Thanks Preach 
I suppose a Fiend never encounters an explobox in original Quake, so there's not much chance of spotting that oversight in testing. I'm more familiar with idTech 4 & 5 (Doom 3, BFG) and there are plenty of anomalies in that code too :) 
@Preach 
This thing also happens with zombies?

I'm asking because there's a warning in the readme file of "The Pillars of the Damned" map that says "If you activate one of the crushers while a zombie is lying on the ground that zombie can only be killed by splash damage"

And this is what it looks like when i played (the bug shows at 09:30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udyyohmHvZc&t=570s

It's the same bug, or is something else? There's a way to fix this in progs.dat so it won't happen again? 
Zombie Vs &amp;quot;Zombie&amp;quot; 
Afraid not Tribal, where I said zombie in that post, I really meant "zombie". I was using it as shorthand for monsters affected by Sir_Random's bug - monsters that continue acting after the player has killed them. Any resemblance to actual zombies is entirely coincidental.

I don't think your bug is related, because the bug is triggered after the zombie is already "dead" on the floor, not at the moment of dying. It sounds like the engine tries and fails to restore the collision hull to the zombie when it stands up inside a BSP object, but I can't tell you more than that... 
@Preach 
Thanks anyway :) 
Trying To Get Started Mapping, Little Help With Compiling Probs? 
Hi All, long time quake player, thinking about my first quake map.

Hi Im looking into making my first quake map.

Im having problems understanding why qBSP runs on my map but vis and light doesn't run.

I dont understand why it finds my QCompileTools folder just fine for qbsp, yet it wont do the vis and light right next to it in the same folder?

I'm using necros compile gui

Im very new to all this and this in particular is really confusing me, so I hope you can help, and if the soltion isnt obvious I could post the compiler output.

I hope you can help and Best wishes! 
First Question 
Is qbsp.exe creating a bsp in your maps folder?

Next, if not we'll need to see the .log folder that is created in the working directory. 
Hi Dumptruck, Great Youtube Vids By The Way. 
Hi,

Yeah I get the bsp, it runs, Fullbright and with geometry disappearing.

Here is the compile

------------------------------------------
Copying Files...
The file cannot be copied onto itself.
0 file(s) copied.
Converting map...
--------------QBSP--------------
---- qbsp / ericw-tools v0.18.1 ----
Input file: FirstQuakeMap01.map
Output file: FirstQuakeMap01.bsp

---- LoadMapFile ----
*** WARNING 06: No info_player_deathmatch entities in level
2700 faces
450 brushes
2 entities
28 unique texnames
452 texinfo

Opened WAD: D:/Projects/Texture Archive/texturedownloads/base.wad
Opened WAD: D:/Projects/Mapping/MyTrenchBroomQuakeMaps/id.wad
Processing hull 0...
---- Brush_LoadEntity ----
450 brushes
425 planes
---- CSGFaces ----
2700 brushfaces
3205 csgfaces
3025 mergedfaces
---- SolidBSP ----
3886 split nodes
1749 solid leafs
1840 empty leafs
298 water leafs
0 detail leafs
0 detail illusionary leafs
0 detail fence leafs
0 illusionary visblocker leafs
20722 leaffaces
19774 nodefaces
---- Portalize ----
2138 vis leafs
2138 vis clusters
5477 vis portals
---- FillOutside ----
*** WARNING 10: Reached occupant at (1504 -144 312), no filling performed.
Leak file written to FirstQuakeMap01.pts
---- MakeFaceEdges ----
---- GrowRegions ----
Processing hull 1...
*** WARNING 10: Reached occupant at (1504 -144 312), no filling performed.
Processing hull 2...
*** WARNING 16: Texture __TB_empty not found
---- WriteBSPFile ----
Wrote FirstQuakeMap01.bsp
923 planes 18460
23094 vertexes 277128
3886 nodes 93264
368 texinfo 14720
19774 faces 395480
5626 clipnodes 45008
2139 leafs 59892
20722 marksurfaces 41444
79088 surfedges 316352
47598 edges 190392
32 textures 346812
lightdata 0
visdata 0
entdata 216

0.469 seconds elapsed
Peak memory usage: 69414148 (66.2M)
--------------VIS---------------
---- vis / ericw-tools v0.18.1 ----
running with 8 threads
testlevel = 4
LoadBSPFile: 'FirstQuakeMap01.bsp'
BSP is version 29
LoadPortals: couldn't read FirstQuakeMap01.prt
No vising performed.
-------------LIGHT--------------
0 file(s) copied.
0 file(s) copied.
The system cannot find the file specified.
Press any key to continue . . . 
2 Issues 
1. You have a leak in your level so VIS will not run.

2. Light will not run if you don't have any light entities in your map. If you do, then I am not sure why it isn't running. Double check the path in the GUI to light.exe Maybe it's incorrect?

Also it's a good idea not to have spaces in any of these tools paths or for your wads etc. But that's not the issue above. 
@AM 
Open the .pts file in your editor, you should see a dotted line leading you to the leak so you can fix it. 
Okay 
sorting the leak means vis will now run,
it makes a prt file, does this go in the same dir as the bsp when loading it into quake?

I put some light entities into the map, and now when I try to compile, it gets to light, and crashes.

light.exe system error
The code execution cannot proceed because embree.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.

I see the flame of the wall torches, but there is no light. still fullbright textures.
Strange. Light.exe is in the same place as the other 2 compilers. 

PRT files are just for use with the compile tools. The Quake executable doesn't need it.

The prebuilt builds of ericw-tools require (and come with) embree.dll. Try reinstalling it: https://github.com/ericwa/ericw-tools/releases/ 
AM 
re: light crash

You are missing the MS Visual C++ files. TB and ericw tools use 2 seperate libraries. Go to the site and look at the link right under the blue download button.

https://ericwa.github.io/ericw-tools/

Also plz watch my troubleshooting video which will help you with leaks.

https://youtu.be/kFd-D46OCrg 
Above Should Read 
"you might be missing" 
Sounds Good. 
which of the 3 should I download?

vcredist_arm.exe

vcredist_x64.exe

vcredist_x86.exe

Im using 64bit windows 10 

vcredist_x64.exe 
Still Getting The Embree Message After Vcredist_x64.exe 
I downloaded and ran vcredist_x64.exe only. It didnt ask me for a destination when I ran it so I dont know where it puts those libraries. My projects/mapping is on my D drive whereas windows system files are on c
could this be an issue? 
@AM 
When you extracted the ericw-tools-v0.18.. zip there should be a "bin" folder containing an embree.dll as well as the various .exe's. Maybe just confirm you still have the embree.dll because copying just the qbsp/vis/light.exe to a separate folder would cause the "embree.dll not found" error.

I downloaded and ran vcredist_x64.exe only. It didnt ask me for a destination when I ran it so I dont know where it puts those libraries.
Yeah this is fine, it's part of Windows so it gets installed globally somewhere.

One last thing there are 2 packages of the tools, -win32.zip and -win64.zip. The -win32.zip requires vcredist_x86.exe and the other one requires vcredist_x64.exe. I should probably spell this out more clearly :) 
It Works Perfectly Now =D 
beautiful moody quake lighting.

Yeah it all makes sense now, I think I moved the .exes thinking it would be ok. I put them where they should be and everything is fine.

THANKS SO MUCH 

Wait what....why would you need separate .dll's for the compile tools? Did something change? What's embree? 
Trenchbroom Custom Model Display (.fgd File) 
Hello! In my progs I have misc_model entity which places custom models into maps. It has a parameter "model", which contains the path to my model in folder (for instance progs/v_shot.mdl). It works fine, but how should I set my .fgd file to display this custom models in Trenchbroom? Is it possible to do somehow? 
Reyond 
It is possible. I have an improved version of the fdg for progs_dump that has this feature. Here's the bit you need to add to the fgd:

model({
"path" : model,
"skin" : skin,
"frame": frame
}) 

Sorry for being so stupid, but I have never worked with .fgd files before. I have this in my .fgd file:

@PointClass base(Appearflags) size (16 16 16) color(30 150 35) = misc_model : " Place your custom model"
[
model(string) : "Path to your model"
]

Trenchbroom sees the entity in the entity list, bit it can not display the model when i wright the path to it. Where exactly should I add your piece of code so the model could be seen?

P.S. I tried to add your piece of code but got an error. I have downloaded fgd from your drobpox but I still can not sort out how to use fgd files. Thanks for helping me! 
Thanks To Dumptruck_ds 
Thank you so much! I found out how the misc_model is made in your fgd file and this worked for me:

@PointClass base(Appearflags, Target, Targetname) size(32 32 16) color(255 128 0) studio({ "path" : mdl}) = misc_model : "A point entity for displaying models"
[
mdl(string) : "Model Selection (ex progs/model.mdl)"
frame(integer)
first_frame(integer)
last_frame(integer)
speed(integer) : "Speed" : 10
angles(integer) : "set 'angle' to 0 if this is used"

Studio is the key bit here 
Is It Ok To Just Add The RL On Skill 0 ? 
I'm trying to balance my map for skills, and I'm wondering is it ok to just add the RL near the start for easy skill? Or would that be viewed as lazy?
It just seems harder to remove enemies and still keep the map exciting. 
Uh.., 
Depends on the game-wise developpement you tend the player to behave like.
A RL at the start makes it easy to clear path for almost the hardest monster, so then it depends on the ammo, health and armour you supply.

At the other hand with the weakest weapons you can build up a steady monster count that balances on to a harder fight at end.
Don't forget that several knights can make a player already uneasy to fight.

So an easy skill won't say an easier fight IMHO.
Or start with no weapon, there's an easy hack for it. 
Thanks Madfox 
Thanks, I do have a build up of monsters, geared at Normal/Hard. I guess I'll just change/remove some monsters for easy. I wanted to keep the ambush/crossfire situations, but I guess not many play on 'Easy' anyway. 
Sir_Random 
Don't forget that you can do more than just take away monsters on easy -- you can also replace them with weaker monsters that only spawn in easy mode.

For example replacing a vore with an ogre, or a shambler with 3 knights. 
@metlslime 
Thanks, that's what I'm going to do. 

It would be an interesting challenge on its own - a map where the # of monsters decreases with skill, but the overall challenge still increases. 
Suggestion: Progression, Plan Your Encounters 
Start with your ideal hardest level.
For each "encounter" consider the next logical easier encounter to step down to for Normal, then Easy. Either placement change, cover addition (e.g. func_wall post, crate), lower health or lower damage per second enemy swap out, or fewer enemies.

Gets fuzzy if you have near constant encounters but if so maybe pacing is needed on lower difficulties, longer timespans between encounters rather than one long continuous encounter with no breathing room between enemies (e.g. Nightmare).

Weapon-changeout/early-add is good, but remember how it will affect pacing, better weapons earlier = shorter fights = more time between encounters which can make for lower percieved difficulty. 
Qmaster 
I did make it for Normal/Hard, with a few strategic Nightmare monsters and I got great feedback from jcr who made demos in Nightmare. His play style is more aggressive than me so it was good to see the map played at pace and it seemed fairly balanced for him.
I just need to rework some battle areas to suit fewer/weaker monsters without making it toooo easy. 
Difficulty 
I think resisting "easier is just fewer monsters" design is the right way to go. There should be fewer monsters, just not many fewer, because too few is just plain boring. We're all Quake Experts after 20 years of this, so I think anyone playing custom maps on Easy in 2018 is doing so because they're doing it on a lunch break or a stolen evening away from the kids, and not because they can't handle more than one fiend at a time. Maybe we should think of it more as 'higher investment.' Besides, Quake gives you tons of unappreciated variables that you can tweak by skill, both obvious and subtle.

- Armor makes Quake significantly easier. More reds and yellows, more often, effectively extends the player's survivability in a given fight by hundreds of HP. More Greens, or stretches without armor at all, shrink the until-death buffer to little more than the player's current health. If you do want to keep the same monster loadout on all three skills, give the Easy player several Red and Yellow armors and the Hard player only one or two Greens. They'll feel like completely different games.

- Adding a vote for weapon pickups coming earlier or later. On Easy, the next big weapon might come before the next big encounter so the player can kick ass with it, on Medium it might be placed within it so the player has to engage to grab it, and on Hard it might only come as a reward after beating the fight entirely without it.

- Greater monster variety leads to more ways the player can be attacked at any one time, requiring juggling more variables to avoid damage and find the safe place to be standing at any given millisecond. A shambler and a vore together are harder to handle than a pair of either. Variety also raises the chances of infighting, however.

- The angles that enemies are presented from makes a difference. In front of the player is easier, flanking is harder, behind is bordering on unfair depending on circumstances. Below the player is a turkey shoot, eye level is straightforward, and monsters up high have a distinct advantage.

- Quantity of resources matters, of course. Bigger medkit pools clearly make the game easier, plentiful rockets can be splashed around while rare ones are only for emergencies, etc. Nail weapon DPS is higher than SG/SSG DPS and so on.

- Frequency of resources matters too. A steady drip lets the player feel secure, but isolated bursts create situations where the player has to stretch himself to get to the next 'island'. Depending on where he makes his errors, he might have to stretch pretty hard (eg those 'quicksave with 5 health left' or 'shambler axe dance or bust' moments). Feast-or-famine item placement can induce mild stockholm syndrome, leading to more positive reviews :)

- Unless you're using a lot of Enforcers, maybe provide all players an early Lightning Gun and simply vary the cells provided, as a way of dealing more or fewer 'get out of jail free' cards.

- Don't forget that the difficulty spawnflags are present on every entity. If you're using monster closets, vary the locations of the ambush triggers. Have the Hard ambushes happen when the player is in the worst possible position, and give them a leg up or more warning on easier skills (or even leave the closet open on Easy so there's no surprise at all). You might even duplicate the doors so you can set different 'speed' keys per skill, so the harder ambushes are an instant pants shitting and the easier ones are more like a countdown until the monsters come out, complete with early warning aggro sounds. Doors can be temporarily barred behind the player on hard skills while he is free to retreat from a fight on easier ones. Falling into a pit can be a mild backtracking inconvenience on easy skills but death by spikes on harder ones. How much room is there between nail shooters in this hallway? With careful use of triggerable lights and skill-specific trigger_relays, you can even use light and darkness against the player differently.

Getting crafty with what you change between difficulty levels can give you ideas for entire encounters, although don't rely on that too much for interest, because any given player is probably only going to experience one such permutation and thus won't realize the need to appreciate how different it is from any others. 
@Lunaran 
Great suggestions above. I may steal this and create a "gameplay" video based on it and a few other posts. This is an area I struggle with and just two or three of these suggestions would have have a big impact on any map. I know some players hate "back spawning" monsters but I think if you use them sparingly as an easy task after a more challenging encounter they can be effective. 
Ammo Science 
Here's a method I've been using. It's really rough, and time consuming without a custom progs to do it for you, but it can be a helpful way to ground your estimates.

A box of:
25 or 50 nails = 225 or 450 damage
20 or 40 shells = 440/880 dmg
6 or 12 cells = 180/360 dmg

6/12 rockets are harder to judge because of 1) splash damage and 2) zombies, but let's say every rocket is 180dmg, for 1080/2160 dmg per box.

Total all the ammo you provide in the map (add 25 shells for the starter ammo, add 2 rockets per ogre and 5 shells per grunt and so on), and that's the max amount of hit point damage you are giving the player to deal. Total the starting health of all the monsters, and compare the two numbers.

Researching id maps and popular custom maps reveals an average 'custom' of about ~3:1 on Easy, ~2.2.:1 on Medium, and ~1.7:1 on Hard. the id maps are generally above that curve (4/3/2:1), and custom maps tend to fall below it(2.5/2.0/1.5:1).

Careful cheapskate shot-counters can finish a map with a ratio of about 1.3:1 ammo DP:monster HP, but most players will have to resort to the axe at some point and will complain of shortage. RPGSP1, which was greeted by universal reviews of "good but I ran out of ammo at the end" still had a ratio on skill 2 of 1.4:1 DP:HP.

There are lots of outliers to these curves, though, because so much of it comes down to how the level design enables the player to *use* the weapons, as well as exploit infighting, choke points, etc. Do rockets get spent one at a time on individual zombies or can they be used to gib crowds of knights for maximum ROI? or are they useless against herds of shamblers?

It also matters when the player gets the ammo. Ammo the player doesn't pick up or can't use is effectively not present in the map at all. Does it come too late to be used when it was really needed? does it come too early and get skipped? or partially wasted when picked up by a player who's already nearly maxed and getting too much at the wrong times? How much of that ammo is in secret areas? 
I Can't Add 
20/40 shells * 24dmg/shell = 480/960 DP per box 

also quad damage placement 
Glad To See I'm Not The Only One 
Right there with you buddy. I once made a mod that outputs my health, shells, nails, etc to the console once per minute. Then I graphed it for my favorite levels. Made sort of an S type curve and tends to plateau with plentiful supplies of ammo towards the end but health still only hovered around 40 to 75. 
BUT 
I always come back to this: to heck with the numbers, make it fun. 
Of Course 
I cannot caveat enough that such measurements are of little exact use. It's good for ballparking it and discovering "oh shit I'm way off" and don't trust it more than that. 
Quake 3 Patch 
Hello! Does anybody know if there is a special utillity for converting .obj to quake 3 patch? Also, where can I find any documentation about q3 patches? 
-- 
Or use a model! 
Help? One Teleport To Much. 
Hi!
Have a problem with my map that I don't know how to fix.
After finnishing all and testing, in the first room, a black rectangle appears on the floor with the sound of a teleport. I can't remember that I made one and even can't find it in the editor.
Is there a way to search for things in trenchbroom or other ways? 
GunSgt 
I would go to the spot in the map in TB and "drill down" to see if there's a brush embedded in that spot in the map. IIRC you hold control + mouse scroll wheel to drill down your brush selections. Of you can hide the floor brush to see if anything is below it. 
@dumptruck_ds 
I haqve deleted the floor and theres nothing. I've also been going downward if theres something below. Also nothing. I have no clue? A bug? I've posted the map on screenshots and betas. 

in game:

"r_showbboxes" will draw white outlines around all entities, this will confirm there is an entity there. (NOTE: i don't think this shows static entities)

(alternate: set "r_drawentities" to 0 which will stop drawing all entities, including static entities -- another way to confirm this is an entity)

"edicts" command will list all entities in the console, problem with this is that brush entities all have the origin of 0,0,0 so you need to look at absmin/absmax or something to figure out which one is the one you are looking for. (hint: condump this to a file since it's easier to read in a text editor.) 
@Dumptruck_ds 
THANKS!

With r_shobboxes 1 I found a brush that moved somewhere and made me trobles ago. Deleted it and that was it. Bohh! Thank you so much!!!
Hope you're doing fine and find some time to play my map.

Best wishes!

GunSgtHighway 
Thanks Metlslime 
:) 
@Dumptruck_ds 
Haha! :D Thanks for assistence! :D 
Func_insidevolume And Func_pushable 
Is there any documentation on these two AD entities? I can't find them in the ad_v1_70P1_documentation.txt, and I can't get the func_insidevolume to detect the pushable and send an output to a func_door, even though I have the "pushable" flag checked. 
IIRC.. 
These were added/modified very close to release. Probably why no information.

Did you open the "test_pushable" map to see how to set it up? 
For A Simple Setup It Goes Like This: 
1)Create a brush then --> tie to entity > func_pushable, no other parameters needed.

2)Create second brush then --> tie to entity > func_door, then give the door a name Ex: "PushableOpens".

3)Create your last brush and --> tie to entity > func_insidevolume, give it a Target(fully inside) of: "PushableOpens". Uncheck all flags but Pushable.

Tada!

Now I don't remember the specific conversation with sock but there was concern for this: "Name of target(s) to trigger when something is FULLY INSIDE the volume (fires every 0.1s)."

Namely, the constant firing. I think that's why there's more complex setups for these. But you could select "Only ONCE" for "wait", for the func_insidevolume if that will work for you?

hth's 

Or if it does do constant firing, just target a trigger_relay set to once. Only have the trigger_relay target the actual door.

My guess is it has to do with needing the pushable fully inside rather than just touching like a trigger. 
@19956 And @19957 
Thanks! You hit the nail right on the head - I did not know the pushable had to be completely inside for it to work. Did a few more tests and it worked exactly as it should.
I'm a bit annoyed that pushables, that doesn't move, don't block gasshooters but this allows me to do a workaround for that. 
@Spipper 
You could use Target2 also, which is when a pushable is "partially inside" the volume ;)

Also, I'm a bit confused on the pushables that "don't move" comment? Maybe you mean when you are not pushing them? 
@Spipper Nvrmnd 
I tested it. Yeah, pushables are not solid to the gasshooter at all.

Seems an isolated case, versus the other trap types I tested('nades, spikes etc). Prolly not that hard to "fix". 
Messages In Quake 
Hi. Do someone know if there's a way to create longer messages than one line? and maybe change its colour? 
Reply To GunSgtHighway 
Yes, you can just move to another line by adding \n.
Just like this. “Hello, this is my message \n how do you like it?”
In game it will be seemed like this:
Hello, this is my message
how do you like it? 
@ Reyond 
Thank you very mutch! 
Message Color 
Color is possible in Darkplaces but you only use normal white or orange (bold) in all other engines like this:
\bImportant Message!\b\nNotice, thank you for noticing\n this notice.

For Darkplaces or QuakeLive engines:
The color codes are as follows:
^1 = Red
^2 = Green
^3 = Yellow
^4 = Blue
^5 = Light Blue
^6 = Magenta
^7 = White

E.g:

^4BLUE TEXTBOOK\n^7Normal white message. 
48 posts not shown on this page because they were spam
First | Previous | Next | Last
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2018 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.