News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Quakespasm Engine
This engine needs its own thread.

Feedback: I like the OS X version, but I have to start it from the terminal for it to work and can't just double-click it like a traditional OS X app. I'm sure you guys already know this, either way great engine.

http://quakespasm.sourceforge.net/
First | Previous | Next | Last
Quakespasm-0.93.0-rc2 
http://quakespasm.sourceforge.net/tmp/93_RC2/

Release candidate #2 for the next QS release 0.93.0. Note that
the above link is temporary and will only be around until we do
the official release, which should happen possibly this week. 
Here's The Changelog... 
from the RC2 readme:

6.1. Changes in 0.93.0

o Raise default "joy_deadzone_trigger" cvar to 0.2.

o Raise console buffer size to 1MB.

o Raise MAX_STATIC_ENTITIES from 512 to 4096.

o Raise MAX_STACK_DEPTH from 32 to 64.

o Raise command buffer size from 8K to 256K to support large configs.

o Remove MAX_EFRAGS and MAX_MAP_LEAFS limits.

o Remove "Loadgame buffer overflow" limit, which could happen when
loading DP or QSS saves.

o Adjust "exceeds standard limit of" debug warnings to include the
actual QS limit.

o Change "game" command to now exec quake.rc.

o Change "games" / "mods" commands to list all subdirectories.

o Restore vid_refreshrate from fitzquake-0.85 for SDL2 builds.

o Alpha-masked model support. (MF_HOLEY: 0x4000).

o Change default screenshot format to png. The 'screenshot' command
now supports optional format (tga, png or jpg) and quality (1-100)
arguments.

o Revert "always run" changes from 0.85.9; move the QuakeSpasm
customizations to a new "cl_alwaysrun" cvar. Set to 1 to scale
forward/side/up speed by "cl_movespeedkey" (usually 2),
and make "speedkey" act as "slowkey".

o Change "always run" menu option to offer
"off" (cl_alwaysrun 0, cl_forwardspeed 200, cl_backspeed 200),
"vanilla" (cl_alwaysrun 0, cl_forwardspeed 400, cl_backspeed 400) and
"quakespasm" (cl_alwaysrun 1, cl_forwardspeed 200, cl_backspeed 200).

o New "r_scale" cvar. Set to 2, 3, or 4 to render the view at 1/2,
1/3, or 1/4 resolution.

o New "r_viewmodel_quake" cvar. Set to 1 for WinQuake gun position
(from MarkV).

o New "find" / "apropos" command, searches for commands/cvar names
for the given substring (from Spike).

o New "randmap" command for loading a random map.

o New "gl_cshiftpercent_contents", "gl_cshiftpercent_damage",
"gl_cshiftpercent_bonus", "gl_cshiftpercent_powerup" cvars for
tuning the strength of specic view blends.

o Fix macOS startup delay (avoid calling gethostbyname() for ".local"
hostnames).

o Fix memory corruption in PF_lightstyle with out of bounds
lightstyles.

o Fix crash in BoundPoly with polygons extending beyond +/-9999.

o Fix QS window to stay on the current monitor when changing video
modes (SDL2 only).

o Fix possible freeze in SV_TouchLinks regardless of what QC does in
the touch function.

o Support for Open Watcom compiler.

o Update the third-party libraries. 
F11 And Mouse Speed 
This is not a big deal, since arguably the zoom function isn't integral to the game, but whenever I press F11 to zoom, it resets my mouse speed -- i.e. when I zoom out, my mouse speed is unbearably slow (default speed, I guess?) and I have to reset it before I can continue playing (I always play with mouse speed set to max). Is this intentional?

It would be nice not to have it happen and to be able to use zoom from time to time... 
F11 
F11 is just using an alias command from default.cfg. This is not an engine issue.

I suggest you set up your own zoom script. E.g. mine is similar to Quake 3's behavior:

alias +zoom "inc fov -10; wait; inc fov -10; wait; inc fov -10; wait; inc fov -10"
alias -zoom "inc fov 10; wait; inc fov 10; wait; inc fov 10; wait; inc fov 10"
bind MOUSE2 +zoom

Just make sure to save it to autoexec.cfg, as config.cfg does not save user aliases. 

The changelog was slightly out of date, these are the last few changes in rc2:

- Invalid skin index now draws skin 0 (WinQuake behaviour) instead of blue checkerboard.

- GL2 renderer: use a GLSL shader for world faces. Fixes reports of integrated+discrete GPU laptops having inconsistent fog rendering.

- Fix for maps with empty strings for vector keys (e.g. "origin"); don't read uninitialized memory.

The GLSL shader is mostly a copy+paste of what we were already using for drawing MDL's, so it should be solid, but let me know if you see any issues.

btw I know there were some requests recently I didn't reply to like m_filter and lastweapon etc., will consider them for the following release :) 
FYI 
The .exe naming is changing in this release:
quakepasm.exe is now the SDL2 build
quakepasm-sdl12.exe is the SDL1.2 build (legacy / compatible with windows 9x, supposedly?)

You should use quakespasm.exe; it has advantages like raw mouse input, refresh rate control, "desktop fullscreen".

Also, quakepasm-sdl12.exe has broken mouse input on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. 
@ericw 
Does this version support AD-Sepulcher? 
Yes (and Orl's Map Pack) 

@ericw 
In quakespasm-admod, I`ve founded the "mods" command on the main menu very useful. Do you plan an equivalent menu also for the next release 0.93?

Because of the simplicity of this function, I was able to convince a couple of friends to play Quake and its mods again. 

Adding extra main menu options is probably too much, in my opinion. It would require replacing the main menu graphics (there's no main menu font, it's a single image), so say what happens if a mod has its own main menu graphics? Do some check and fall back to vanilla behavior which might confuse the user? Or what if the check fails for some reason? More bugs to iron out later?

Just bring down the console and type "game modname". Or use an external mod launcher, like this one:
http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61069 
Its not too much work. They already did it in the admod version of Quakespasm released with Sepulcher. 
@mukor 
Indeed, I'm aware. And that particular version causes bugs like this:

admod:
https://i.imgur.com/hS07r5x.jpg

vanilla QS:
https://i.imgur.com/0QR3BCL.jpg 
@iriyap 
I'd take that minor bug over not having the menu. I'm for adding it to QS. I use a launcher but I think we should all want Quake to be easier to use for newbs. 
@dumptruck_ds 
The main menu is a single image, not a font. To add a new option, you have to replace the whole thing. There is no way to add extra options without sacrificing compatibility with mods that use custom main menu graphics (e.g. Rubicon series, Malice, Shrak, X-Men, many other TCs, etc). This is the reason why very few source ports ever touch it (JoeQuake only?).

Not to mention that we already have so many options for launching mods, like using shortcuts, .bat files, external launchers and also console commands. I'm sure even the most casual of the players can figure out how to use a launcher. It's just a program with a bunch of dropdown menus where you choose your engine, mod folder and what map to launch, if any.

If we wanted to accommodate newbies so much, we could also start adding regenerating health and such. I'd rather QS retains its full vanilla compatibility, it's the main reason the engine is the number one choice for Quake in numerous retro gaming communities. 

If we wanted to accommodate newbies so much, we could also start adding regenerating health and such.

Arcane Dimensions, arguably the best mod in years, has respawning ammo and health. So there's that.

Back on topic, there are very few TCs compared to straight up mods. I still think adding a mod menu would be more beneficial than not. And I'm sure there's a way to make it work with TC's anyway. 

"If we wanted to accommodate newbies so much, we could also start adding regenerating health and such."

That has absolutely nothing with the subject at hand but ok.

Having the Mods option was more about getting more people to play Quake that arent comfortable with setting up folders. The same crowd of people that Quake Injector is made for.

But yeah that kind of sucks it breaks things. I need to wake up more before i start func_ing. 

Yeah, I might have gone a bit off tangent with that comment, got carried a way a bit, didn't mean to preach.

Point is, yeah, it breaks things. In theory, you could break up the original image and add another image just with the "Mods" part, but the font will be clashing with the TCs. Maybe add this new menu under the options screen? This would work, that one is all text.

Still, I'd rather this was external, maybe via some official QS launcher or such, if you want everything in one package. 

I was also thinking it could be a menu item in the "options" menu - that would avoid issues with custom graphics. The only downside is it's one more thing in the "options" screen which has a tendency to keep growing. 
New Menus 
stuff like this is why I gave FTE the ability to query a file's depth.
eg if the menu artwork is in id1 then replace it with a new menu with a mods option etc. otherwise a mod has replaced it and the vanilla layout+filename should be used. it gives the best of both worlds. 
More Skin Issues 
Found another broken skin in Shrak:

QuakeSpasm r1532:
https://i.imgur.com/AuaZ5kI.jpg

Mark V:
https://i.imgur.com/BVq71Pe.jpg

It's a Pentagram replacement, just load dm3 to see it.

WinQuake and DarkPlaces display it properly as well, but it's black in QuakeSpasm, DirectQ and FitzQuake 0.85. 
@Spike 
Don't really want to be the bad guy on this idea, but one last point, hear me out. Consider this, the "mods" option is mostly for the newbies sake, right? So they use it to load some mod which happens to have custom main menu graphics, and bam, the option is suddenly gone. Cue all the false bug reporting and complaining. Not to mention that the lack of consistency is not good UX. 
Shrak Skin Issue 
Thanks for the report. It's caused by Mod_FloodFillSkin (commenting that out in Mod_LoadAllSkins fixes it).. I think the flood fill breaks on solid color skins. Might wait until after this release to investigate how MarkV fixed it. 

Just put mods and maps in the "new game" menu 
Also, Re: #3049 
Here's an example of a zoom script that is agnostic to your current sensitivity cvar. This modifies m_pitch and m_yaw instead of sensitivity.

alias +zoom "fov 105; wait; fov 72; wait; fov 53; wait; fov 34; wait; fov 15; m_yaw 0.004; m_pitch -0.004"
alias -zoom "fov 15; wait; fov 34; wait; fov 53; wait; fov 72; wait; fov 105; m_yaw 0.022; m_pitch -0.022"

Of course it does assume a specific fov. Use iriyap's suggestion and use inc command to make it relative to any starting fov value. (though it could break if it tries to go below the min value.) 
@ericw 
Just noticed that the 3D crosshair for the RL in Shrak is also solid color and also affected by this bug. 
32 Bpp 
Not sure if posting in the right thread, but I'm having trouble running QS in 32-bit colour. Highest available setting is my native resolution (1600x900) and 24 bpp. Any hints on how to troubleshoot? 

The version is 0.92.2-admod-win32 from sock's Arcane Dimensions page. QuakeSpasm 0.92.1-win64 runs 32-bit colour fine. 
It's Fine 
24 and 32 are pretty much different names for the same thing (they're both 8 bits per channel). It's probably just a naming difference between SDL2 and SDL1.2 . 

OK thanks. 
@ericw 
There seems to be a gamma shift (lower, brighter) when I switch refresh rate to match my desktop refresh rate. If you cannot reproduce, I can make a video after work tonight. Or is this expected? 
Dumptruck 
Hm, that's not good. I'll see if I can reproduce it. 
@dumptruck_ds 
Can't reproduce on my system (latest windows 10, nvidia 650); tried 800x600@60 and 800x600@75 hz.

I can't think of an explanation, but a couple questions: do the QS brightness/contrast sliders work in both video modes? If you still get a gamma shift with both "gamma" and "contrast" cvars set to 1, it's likely something outside of QS causing the gamma difference.

Is it possible there's a different gamma setting for that video mode in your graphics driver control panel? I'm not sure if that is a feature, just guessing here.
Does it happen in any other game? 
@ericw 
I am still at work but will do some more work on this tonight. I doubt it's an external nvidia thing. I switch refresh rates a lot with QS and QS Admod etc. as I am working on the Xmas jam at the moment. I map and test at 72hz and then play for fun at 144. Will report back in a few hours.

I will check the sliders in both modes. And other games. 
@ericw 
Tested this. Happened again. But here is the weird thing: I took screenshots and they match. However, I am def noticing an increase in overall brightness.

Will keep exploring this but did not happen with .92x and Admod versions. Very strange. The brightness isn't horrible just noticeable. Here's a PDf with the screens for reference - you will not see any diff between them but thought I'd include for further discussion.

https://adobe.ly/2AQ2JDI 
Thanks, Appreciate It 
Will keep exploring this but did not happen with .92x and Admod versions.
One thing is, 0.92.x and the admod build did not have refresh rate control. (I only added it in august.)

Something that might be worth checking is Fitzquake 0.85, if you don't have it already; it has the same refresh rate cvar and option in the video menu:
http://www.celephais.net/fitzquake/

I also did a bit of searching and it sounds like gamma changes can be an side effect when high-refresh rate monitors switch refresh rates - so I wonder if it could just be that?
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/2098378-Asus-24-quot-LED-A-Sync-MG248Q-brightness-at-different-refresh-rates 

okay, so not trying to be a proud c0ck in any way, yet, hear me out. I try to to a timedemo demo2 in QS newest, and get around 631.4fps yet in Qrack in the classic settings (which is standard quake) im getting 2200fps yet Qrack uses stupid opengl 1.3...
i'm not trying to tug a war just wondering if your glsl is batching per frame or per model? 

im using windows 10 pro 64bit nvidia 960gtx
btw 

quakeone.com/qrack test it yourself 

screenshots will not show hardware gamma correction, that correction happens only as the framebuffer is drawn to the screen. (which is why it affects the whole screen when playing quake in a window, rather than just the game window.) 

rook: yeah, I get similar results, though not as extreme, 850fps for qrack vs 500fps in QS for timedemo demo1. this is 1920x1200 on a 650gt. I don't have a good explanation. QS does well when the maps get bigger and/or there are lots of MDL's on screen, but there must be some reason it's worse on "easy" content. IIRC, DirectQ on the other hand was blazing fast on id1 content. 

Is QuakeSpasm still sleeping every frame, even in timedemos? That would cause it. 

Tested using latest source, in main_sdl.c, line 184:

if (time < sys_throttle.value) 483 fps

if (time < sys_throttle.value && !cls.timedemo) 1228 fps 

Set sys_throttle to 0 on your console before running a timedemo. 

ya setting sys_throttle to 0 im pushing 2000fps now. 
Eric 
Could you add an "r_viewmodel_fov" cvar from mark_v 
Spy: 
it's something I want to add but didn't get to for this release. The RC does have r_viewmodel_quake (also from markv) where 1=restore winquake gun position. 
Been Wondering 
Is there any technical reason why water etc liquids textures are not mipmapped in QuakeSpasm? It's usually not very noticeable, but maps with large bodies of water (like Orl's shib1) have a lot of aliasing. 

does the water textures have TEXPREF_MIPMAP flag set? 
Re: #3094 
It's probably unchanged from Fitzquake. In Fitzquake it was done for two reasons: 1. it's not mipmapped in the software renderer (so +1 for authenticity) and 2. since the water texture is rendered every frame (when using r_oldwater 0) this means the mipmaps would also have to be recalculated which I didn't know how to do at the time (and still might not be fast enough even if I did know how.) 
Yay Authenticity 
But in the interest of algorithmic nerdiness...
Could you generate the mipmaps at level load and cache them? 

vkQuake (a fork of QS on Vulkan API) does support water mipmapping. Not sure how much of the Vulkan code can be translated back into OpenGL, but I suppose it could be helpful as a reference. 

Yeah - I saw that vkquake does it. It sounds like it is doable in OpenGL 1.4+ with GL_GENERATE_MIPMAP, and is done in by the GPU (if it was done on the CPU it would kill performance because the warp textures are updated every frame):
https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/Common_Mistakes#Automatic_mipmap_generation

The other thing I was going to investigate was doing the warp in a fragment shader, but need to investigate whether it's faster even on lower end hardware, and if it can be made to look identical to the current warp. 

hmm odd i thought even glQuake mipmapped all textures including
water and sky textures? 

Warp in a fragment shader is faster, even on lower end hardware, and can be made look identical.

Visually it can even be superior, because normally with mipped warps the texture can shift between different miplevels as it warps, even if nothing else changes. But by taking the screen space derivatives of the unwarped texcoords and using a tex2DGrad (or equivalent) lookup, you get to avoid that and get a nice solid warping image. 
MH 
cool, thanks for the tip on tex2DGrad, will look into that.

I dug out a quick hack of RMQEngine's warp code to GLSL that I was experimenting with a year or so ago.

Snapping the texture coordinates to the nearest 1/512 (fitzquake renders the warp image into a 512x512 texture by default) seems to approximate the look of fitzquake's warp very closely:

vec2 texc_input = gl_TexCoord[0].xy;
texc_input = floor((texc_input * 512.0) + vec2(0.5, 0.5)) / 512.0;
rest of the shader

screenshots:
fitzquake render-to-texture warp
the above shader
above shader with the rounding-to-nearest-1/512 commented out

The timing is slightly off between the fitz and shader versions but they look pretty close to me otherwise, so this looks promising. 
Quakespasm 0.93.0 Released 
Congrats On The Release! 
Also maybe it's a good time to mention that a lot of links on the QS page are broken, like the id software link on the "Being" page and most of the links on "Other Worlds" (just link them to Quaddicted, Kell's page has been moved here). 
Cl_alwaysrun 
Well hey, that's a neat early-morning surprise. Might've noticed a minor mistake in the patch notes, though:
Revert "always run" changes from 0.85.9 and move the QuakeSpasm
customizations to a new "cl_alwaysrun" cvar: Set to 1 in order to
scale forward/side/up speed by "cl_movespeedkey" (usually 2), and
to make "speedkey" act as "slowkey".

So far as I can tell, cl_sidespeed isn't actually affected by any of the settings and remains at 350 (the Quake default) regardless of Always Run setting, while _forwardspeed and _backspeed work as intended (400 for Vanilla, 200 for Off, 200 [* cl_movespeedkey 2 to equal 400] for Quakespasm). 'Walking' also only affects forward and back speeds, not side speeds, the same as the old behavior. 
About The Quakespasm.pak 
Is the quakespasm.pak file up to date from the sourceforge link ?

The version that comes with the link above has date

2 march 2016 00h00,

while the version I already have (from somewhere I don't remember) has date

27 june 2017 21h46.

So what is happening with this file ? 
RE: Is The Quakespasm.pak File Up To Date 
Yes, it is. 
That QS Version And Spike Effects In AD Sepulcher... 
I tried QS 0.93.0, and there's no rain effect in Sepulcher. I understand that the Spike effects aren't included in that version of QS, but why?

If it's because some people don't like to see "modernized" effects into Quake, why not a "Spike FX" button in the graphics menu ? 
@Barnak 
I believe that this was already answered up-thread? 
Spud 
the patch notes are correct, the reason it doesn't look that way is quake's default cl_sidespeed is already running (350), so increasing it further with the new cl_alwaysrun cvar (or shift key) doesn't make you go faster sideways. It does affect the angle you move when holding forward+left or forward+right.

Barnak: the newer quakespasm.pak is from the admod fork, it has the mod menu graphics. I probably should have renamed admod's pak file so they didn't conflict, but it doesn't matter, the contents are the same besides the mod menu graphics. 
Eric 
So if I understand clearly what you said, it doesn't matter which version of the Quakespasm.pak file I use? Is that right? 

hmm i got a crash to desktop when doing a rimedemo demo2
will try a debug build later to find the error.
all i did before the timedemo was change my game dir
so it might be a cfg conflict somewhere

loaded qs
game custom
timedemo demo2
crash 
R00k 
thanks for the report. I cam't reproduce with "game quoth", so maybe be QS crashes on something in your "custom" dir. 

I'm experiencing a very strange behaviour of the mouse. There is a kind of a lag between the movement of the mouse and what I can see on the screen.

I’ve this problem only with the Mac OSX universal app and NOT with Mac OSX (SDL2 version).

Can you image any possible cause?

Thanks 
Burp 
I noticed input lag on some sourceports if I had vsync enabled, though it's never been an issue in Quakespasm. 

I think I can reproduce that, at least, for a few seconds after entering fullscreen mode the mouse seems especially laggy (macOS 10.13 / SDL1.2 build).

Use the SDL2 version. I'm not sure specifically what is happening here, but SDL1.2 has a hacky way of doing mouse input where it's constantly teleporting the mouse (afaik). This happened to break on the latest Windows 10 update so I'm not surprised there are macOS issues too. The SDL developers officially say 1.2 is abandoned, although they still apply patches now and then, but there supposedly won't be any more releases. 
Spike FXs Are Dying ? 
I'm wondering about the lack of support for the nice Spike effects. I think they're working great and add alot to the atmosphere in Quake (I'm NOT asking for other "modern" graphics and high res textures stuff).

Should I conclude that all Spike effects are abandoned in QS? 
@Barnak 
I believe the "Spiked" build was standalone for a reason, same goes for the admod build. I'm not sure how Eric and co feel about this, but IMO FitzQuake/QuakeSpasm was always about staying faithful to vanilla as much as possible. I'd wager a guess and say that it's more about historical preservation and accepting Quake as is than trying to remake it. Adding new gfx is a slippery slope. First you add some optional particles, then you add bloom and HDR, then some fancy shadows, and before you know it you've got a huge codebase with many issues out of your control. And besides, why reinvent the wheel when users interested in extra gfx can always use FTE or DarkPlaces which have more focus on this. 

This is somewhat of a TB issue rather than a QS issue but... SDL2 versions of the engine simply don't work if you launch them through the TB2 compiler dialog. You get game sound, no window appears and no icon on the taskbar.

Does anyone have a workaround? I'm still using SDL1.2 for the time being but the mouse input bug is pretty awful, even if it is a major step up from "not even displaying anything at all".

I might try raising an issue on the TB github if no one has any ideas. 
Hmm 
my first attempts are failing to reproduce this.
TB2.0.0RC4, QS 0.93.0. Latest windows 10 (fall creators update).

I'm not setting any commandline flags in TB's launch dialog. Tried with both vid_fullscreen 0 and 1 in my config.cfg.
My QS is installed directly in my quake directory, not using -basedir.
Anything that might be different from your configuration? 

https://i.imgur.com/f0hSVBj.png That's how I run the engine. If I don't use the -basedir option it complains that my game is unregistered (my .maps directory is the basedir).

Something interesting that I've noted is that when I run the SDL1.2 version, it spawns as its own application under Task Manager. If I run the SDL2 version, it's spawned underneath the TB application, right next to... a lot of instances of qbsp.exe, actually: https://i.imgur.com/2xOE02r.png

I think TB2 might sometimes have trouble cleaning up after itself...

Do you think reworking my compilation recipe to change my working directory away from the map's directory would be a good idea? It's a lot of work, sadly :( 
Cool 
I can reproduce it now - the key is launching the engine through the "Run Tool" feature in TB.

If I launch it through TB's "Launch Engine" feature, it works normally. So that might be the workaround to look at; in the "Launch Engine" dialog it says you can use variables to refer to the map name.

Still weird that SDL1.2 works when launched via "run tool" and SDL2 fails, I will look into why that is the case. 
TB fails to close the compilers if you dont hit stop before exiting. 
@ericw 
seems like its not a specific QS bug, but my 'custom' folder has my Qrack config, and trying to exec my autoexec.cfg QS runs into many keys and cvars that it doesnt recognise. Now, thats when things get weird. It will read the whole config, then if i type timedemo demo2 it says it cant find progs/player.mdl even though using the path command it finds id1. then pressing q then tab it fails at Q_strncmp strings not equal. So, my only assumption is that reading a config full of unknown cvars is polluting a string buffer.
again probably not a QS specific bug. Using a clean config i get no errors. 
@r00k 
mind emaling me or uploading the configs from your "custom" folder? 

http://quakeone.com/qrack/dev/autoexec.cfg
this isnt the actual cfg (not at home atm) but its still should be close enough 

i can upload the **actual** config later tonight if you need 
R00k 
thanks. No luck so far, I tried loading that config and doing a "timedemo demo2" followed by "q", tab.
Could be it needs the combination of config.cfg + autoexec.cfg to reproduce 

ok when i get home i can upload the configs
i can even make a video im using the win64 build also
if that makes a difference.
i know its not a big issue but if your like
me i hate when something breaks without knowing why ;) 
:( 
Shame about having to use the Launch Engine feature, since it's many more clicks than just Run Tool... I might just deal with the mouse snapping unless this is never going to be fixed, since I usually just jump into the game to check lighting and entity placement anyway...

Perhaps in the future a Launch Engine operation can be added for the Run Tool recipes... 

@pritchard roll back to a version that works?
@ericw quakeone.com/qrack/dev/ config.cfg and autoexec.cfg yet i tried on my laptop winXP no crash so please dont lose sleep over this. :) 
@rook 
if you know how to roll back a Windows 10 update, please let me know :P

I decided to open an issue on the TB2 github, but I'm doing it as a feature request for making an engine launch part of the compilation process options as I get the feeling that running it as a "tool" is not ever going to be properly supported. 
@pritchard 
Necros' compiling GUI requires no clicks.

Leave GUI running in BG
Save map.
Alt+Tab to GUI
Ctrl+C to compile.

https://imgur.com/YgIacZt

If you dive in, it's quite powerful:

https://shoresofnis.wordpress.com/utilities/ne_q1spcompilinggui/ 
Lel 
Do r_scale 4, then gl_texturemode 6. Enjoy your bleeding eyes!

What do I do, so the pixels don't dance around on the further away objects, when using texturemode 1 and r_scale 2,3 or 4? 

What do I do, so the pixels don't dance around on the further away objects, when using texturemode 1 and r_scale 2,3 or 4?

gl_texturemode 1 is the equivalent of GL_NEAREST, which disables mipmapping and which therefore causes the pixel dance. You can't do anything because you asked for mipmapping to be disabled, and you got what you asked for.

You can try setting it to 2 or 3 instead. 

My problem is that mipmapping makes everything washed out. This is probably the obvious reason for usinge MORE pixels instead of less🙃 Duh, then Winquake look might not be my favorite... 

WinQuake used mipmapping too. 
And Again I Am Totally Mistaken... 

I Should Be More Specific... 
Win/Software Quake used mipmaps on world/brush surfaces; it didn't on water or MDLs. Typically Fitz/QS replicates this behaviour.

Mipmapping was specifically coupled to the lighting/surface-cache engine and 4 miplevels were stored for each texture.

There's more discussion of all of this in chapter 68 of Mike Abrash's Graphics Programming Black Book: http://www.jagregory.com/abrash-black-book/#chapter-68-quakes-lighting-model

And software Quake's mipmap code is here: https://github.com/id-Software/Quake/blob/master/WinQuake/r_surf.c 

winquake's mipmapping was based purely upon the distance (and texinfo+screensize+d_mipcap).

on the other hand, opengl decides which mipmap to use based upon the rate of change of the texcoords - or in other words surfaces that slope away from the view are considered more 'distant' and thus get significantly worse mipmaps.

you can work around that with anisotropic filtering, but that requires trilinear filtering in order to be well-defined (some drivers just bug out, some force it, some ignore it).

This is a significant issue in FTE's software-esque rendering, and for now FTE uses only 3 mip levels to avoid the worst of it.
note that the original/sw mipmaps retain their proper palette instead of being a blury mess, but this means that sloped surfaces like the side of health boxes just end up with about 4 random pixels or whatever.
there's a few ways to work around this with recent glsl versions, but I've not tried to so so yet.

tldr:
glquake and winquake have _very_ different mipmapping rules, and glquake just looks blury in about every way possible... 

i prefer GL_NEAREST and gl_texture_anisotropy 8
that way it still looks pixely but less glitter at the distance. 

doh! spike just said that while i was typing :O 
Also Worth Adding... 
...that in hardware accelerated versions of Quake, mipmap level selection is not normally something that the programmer has control over; this is done by fixed function components in the graphics hardware. 
@ericw Video Is Blurry Sorry 

basically the video shows
game custom
timedemo demo2
host error: progs/player.mdl not found
q{tab}
crash

reload
game custom
exec config.cfg
timedemo demo2
host error: progs/player.mdl not found
game id1
crash 

weird my other machine doesnt do it :/ 
Ah Good. 
I reproduced the crash here on windows with the 32 bit QS build, so it's indeed just those 2 config files that are doing it. thanks, will investigate. 

...that in hardware accelerated versions of Quake, mipmap level selection is not normally something that the programmer has control over; this is done by fixed function components in the graphics hardware.

Looks like it was first exposed to the programmer with textureLod in GLSL 1.30 / OpenGL 3?

https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenGL-Refpages/gl4/html/textureLod.xhtml 

You could probably brute-force it on older hardware by storing each miplevel as a separate texture. Performance would be horrible though. 
1 post not shown on this page because it was spam
First | Previous | Next | Last
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.