News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Quakespasm Engine
This engine needs its own thread.

Feedback: I like the OS X version, but I have to start it from the terminal for it to work and can't just double-click it like a traditional OS X app. I'm sure you guys already know this, either way great engine.

http://quakespasm.sourceforge.net/
First | Previous | Next | Last

basically the video shows
game custom
timedemo demo2
host error: progs/player.mdl not found
q{tab}
crash

reload
game custom
exec config.cfg
timedemo demo2
host error: progs/player.mdl not found
game id1
crash 

weird my other machine doesnt do it :/ 
Ah Good. 
I reproduced the crash here on windows with the 32 bit QS build, so it's indeed just those 2 config files that are doing it. thanks, will investigate. 

...that in hardware accelerated versions of Quake, mipmap level selection is not normally something that the programmer has control over; this is done by fixed function components in the graphics hardware.

Looks like it was first exposed to the programmer with textureLod in GLSL 1.30 / OpenGL 3?

https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenGL-Refpages/gl4/html/textureLod.xhtml 

You could probably brute-force it on older hardware by storing each miplevel as a separate texture. Performance would be horrible though. 
Speaking Of Texture Aliasing 
Supersampling makes unfiltered textures look gorgeous and not flicker at all. Consider adding such an option.

https://imgur.com/a/jumoZ 
Supersampling 
Up close or far away?

The thing about far way textures sparking is that it's basic mathematics. You have one pixel on the screen, and when the texture is sampled - either via nearest or linear, doesn't matter which - you're sampling more texels than will fit in that one pixel. Then when the scene shifts a little (like with regular Quake idle movement, or water warping, or whatever) the texels being sampled jump around.

This is basic sampling theory stuff; it shouldn't be necessary to explain it, it's been mathematically proven for donkey's years. 

The supersampling in vkQuake works both up close and far away. The far away flickering was always bothering me and I would begrudgingly turn the texture filtering back on, but with this kind of supersampling you get the best of both worlds, the textures never flicker at the distance, and at the same time don't get blurred up close. Works great even at 4x supersampling with little to no performance hit. Black magic! 

Just to clarify...

Far away flickering is not caused by texture filtering or no texture filtering.

It's caused by not using mipmaps.

You can disable texture filtering and use mipmaps.

gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST will disable texture filtering but use mipmaps, and will hugely minimize far-away flickering. This is the nearest you'll get to software Quake without custom shaders to more closely replicate it.

gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR is slightly higher quality. It also disables texture filtering but will interpolate between miplevels, so you don't get jarring transitions between different miplevels as you move about a map.

I'd strongly encourage you to use the built-in modes properly and see if they actually do meet your requirements. It's an unfortunate piece of Quake "lore" over the past 20 years that gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST is the correct "software Quake" mode, and Quake "lore" is full of flat-out wrong bullshit like this. 

I'm sorry that I didn't make this clear, but of course I'm using mipmaps (GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR). Still, it causes quite a bit of aliasing compared to GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR, e.g. when looking at the textures with horizontal lines (like base walls) at an angle and moving back and forth. Supersampling seems to fix this issue. 
Iriyap 
You can just enable DSR (nvida) or VSR (AMD) in your video card control panel. 

I'm sorry that I didn't make this clear, but of course I'm using mipmaps...
Ah, OK, my apologies.

I guess this is one of those "different things drive different people nuts" things then. I personally accept a bit of aliasing as part of the tradeoff to achieve the crunchy pixel look, and even expect it as a feature of that look. 

Yeah, I can understand that. WinQuake has tons of aliasing, all over the place, and maybe that's part of its charm, but having crisp sharp unfiltered textures with zero aliasing is also very, very appealing and it's something that couldn't be achieved on the hardware back then, so it feels more like an upgrade than a step back. Just my personal preference, at any rate. 
Aliasing 
Is merely a result of using a screen with too low a resolution at too close a viewing distance (dpi vs viewing distance). 

yeah just get a 4k display! 
@mh 
thanks! GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR is the perfect balance i was looking for. Too long i was using gl_linear_mipmap_linear and the scene on large maps just looked blurry far away, (thought might feel like GTA-V), lol

small maps like the dm maps it looks perfect like standard true grit Quake :) 
Quake Grit 
Experiencing A Bug 
On the map E1M3(The Necropolis) at the end right before the fight for the exit gate, the lift has a bug. About half way up the lift I get hurt for no apparent reason(HP going from 100 to 45) and the lift goes back down.

I am running Windows XP x86, Intel E6550, 2GB RAM, Geforce GTX 550 Ti 

host_maxfps is probably set above 72 - setting it back to 72 should fix the physics glitch. 
@ericw 
Feature list sounds great, congrats!

Find ;-) WinQuake gun pos ;-) Alpha .mdl texture masking, not that anyone will ever use it because about no one is capable of making models these days but should someone arise, it is available which is nice. PNG shots ;-) Having actually Quake-correct always run ;-)

1. gethostbyname -- has no purpose in the engine at all.

2. Steal r_viewmodel_fov -- sheesh! It's been nearly 6 years Mark V has had that barely 8 lines of code feature -- maybe be slightly more complex in QS, but seriously. No excuses. It's rather unacceptable Quakespasm does not have that feature, in all seriousness.

3. Maybe make a Con_Print when someone changes maxfps away from 72 do a message "This may cause physics glitches, missed triggers and killer elevators". Because clearly people post the same damn thing 80 times per year.

Anyway, I quite like the change list! 
No Idea 
What r view model fov does 

if (sv.active) Cvar_SetValue ("host_maxfps", 72);

Obviously it would be nice to fully decouple the timers, then work over the client code and fix up all the FPS-dependent stuff properly, but in the absence of that surely we're past the point where the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages? 

Decoupling these things is a huge task if I recall which is why no one has done it yet 
Mark V? 
recent release attempted this IIRC

Could you tweak the physics (or damage) code to behave better at those higher rates? 

Could you tweak the physics (or damage) code to behave better at those higher rates?

This isn't something that's a simple tweak otherwise it would have been done long ago, everybody would be using it now, and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

This is something that we've all been aware of for almost 20 years - at least ever since the Quake source release and early attempts at implementing maxfps. But yet people still continue to report it as though it were a new bug several times per year. 
Mh 
But yet people still continue to report it as though it were a new bug several times per year.

Well that's because we're not omniscient. 
QuakeSpasm 2 
Hello. There is any plans to do the same port for Quake 2? I'd like to play it very much, cuz there is no such a port for Quake 2 like QuakeSpasm. There is only unofficial patch, but it's not enough - the mouse input is very shitty, no support for all keybuttons in controls options etc. I hope you will do it, as I know, the Q1 and Q2 engines are very similar. 
Here you have similar project for Quake2: https://www.yamagi.org/quake2/ 
Flashblend 
Can you make QS default to gl_flashblend 0? Unless you already have... 

Yes, it's been the default for several versions (iirc since 2014-ish) 
Slightly Confused 
This may have already been discussed to death, but I'm just returning from not having played Quake in a few months and saw QS got to 0.93.0. How similar is this release to QSS? I've been using QSS or the AD version for pretty much everything since Sepulcher came out. Can 0.93.0 do pretty much everything QSS does? Which should I use for normal play? 
Only One Teleporter Effect? 
I'm running latest SVN code on Linux. I notice that when several enemies teleport in, only one teleport effect is displayed, while the other enemies just pop in. Is this normal? 

QSS is a separate fork/experimental build and QS 0.93 doesn't include any of its features. Perhaps for the best. 

I'm running latest SVN code on Linux. I notice that when several enemies teleport in, only one teleport effect is displayed, while the other enemies just pop in. Is this normal?

You would get this result on virtually any Quake client, going back to the original engines from 1996.

The teleport splash spawns almost 900 particles, whereas the engine by default will only support up to 2048. I suggest that there's something else spawning particles, or an enemy teleporting behind you where you can't see it's particles.

Run with -particles ### where ### is some number higher than 2048 to support more particles. 

@SavageX certainly not an intentional change. Could you try 0.92.1?
https://sourceforge.net/projects/quakespasm/files/Source/quakespasm-0.92.1.tgz/download 
Running Into Particle Limit 
@mh: Thanks, that's it! Increasing the particle limit fixes this!

@ericw: Tested this in 0.92.1 as requested. It behaves the same (and according to design).

I wonder if bumping the default particle limit makes sense. Are particle emitters sorted by player distance regarding priority or is it "random" which emitters starve? 

Quake doesn't really have a concept of particle emitters as such. Particles are just moved from a free list to an active list as required, then returned to the free list when they expire, with no sorting.

Individual particles in an effect may expire at different times, and when you run out of free particles that's it, no more particles until enough expire.

So if there are, say, 5 teleport splashes spawned, the first two will get 896 particles each, the third will get 256, the last two will get none.

It's easy enough to extend the number of particles to effectively infinite engine-side: just Hunk_Alloc (and initialize) another batch when you run out. Add some tidy-up code for map changes and it's done.

It's always seemed odd to me that QS hasn't already done this, particularly given the number of effects even in stock ID1 Quake that use up so many.

By comparison, Quake II bumps MAX_PARTICLES to 4096 but IIRC even that isn't enough for stock ID1 Quake; there are some scenes in demo1 that can go over 5000. 
#3175 @sevin 
http://triptohell.info/moodles/qss/
I've updated the windows builds of qss to merge in the latest qs changes... And FINALLY fixed a couple of bugs in qss-r7, so quoth shouldn't bug out any more (is the theory). 
Whoa 
And I thought Spikedspasm was a dead end fork.

Cool. 
"And I Thought Spikedspasm Was A Dead End Fork." 
I HOPE NOT!

QS_Spike version is my Quake version of choice. Long live Spike! 
#ericw 
we need an MacOS version of QSS!!! :-) 
Quick Query 
And FINALLY fixed a couple of bugs in qss-r7, so quoth shouldn't bug out any more (is the theory)

That's cool, but were we doing something especially weird or dodgy that provoked this? Like the ultra-high fps "bug" that keeps being reinvented, if it happened to your engine it might happen to others, and I'd like to programme defensively if so. 
@Preach 
sorry, I should have phrased that better. That bug was totally my fault, and it happened on more maps than just quoth's ones.

(I was trying to be clever by auto-precaching any model named by a model field, so that mappers could do interesting hacky things. the real issue being that I got the code wrong and the server ended up reading random tempstrings instead.
Even without that it would have broken saved games though, so now you need '_precache_model' instead, or alternatively you can set modelindex to a non-numeric value, which might be useful if you're trying to bypass the lack of a setmodel. its nice to have options, or something) 
Vore In The End Bug 
https://i.imgur.com/Ye09ueS.jpg

WTF?! :) Sometimes (often) last Vore teleports in the player at the end titles. I don't remember this bug in original game. 
Killing The Vore 
You've probably just got faster at completing the level, and leave a vore alive more often. The teleporter at the end isn't flagged "player only" so if the vore's alive on the final ledge then it can walk towards the camera and hit the tele. 
Can "qss-r7" Fully Replace AD Sepulcher's "quakespasm-spike-admod"? 
Before I overwrite I'd like to know ;)

Thanks in advance. 
Afaik No 
I think qss-r7 is older and lacks some fixes needed to run ad_sepulcher.
btw QSS homepage is http://triptohell.info/moodles/qss/ and there is an r8+ released recently. 
I Meant R8+ , Grrr... 
Thanks. 
QSS R8+ 
I quicky tried it yesterday and AD Sepulcher seem to run as good as with the ADMod version of QSS. Unfortunately no chance at the moment for a deeper test session.
Only thing that is missing is the possibility to select the mod to play directly in game main menu. 
Changed Controller Settings? 
I haven't been able to play QS in a while. I play with a controller but it seems that movement is more twitchy than it used to be.

Of course, Windows 10 has updated a million times since I last played which broke my controller until I updated its drivers - SCPToolkit. Thus, I'm not sure if the change is in the drivers or Quakespasm...

Just so you know, behaviour hasn't changed in any other game. :) 

The only default that has changed since June 2016 is L/R trigger deadzone, because the shoot/jump keys were getting stuck sometimes.

Maybe try deleting the joy_* cvars from you config.cfg's in case they got changed at some point.
Here's the manual section on the controller cvars if you need to tweak them:
http://quakespasm.sourceforge.net/Quakespasm.html#ss3.2 

Any idea why SDL 1.2 and SDL 2 treat mouse buttons differently? Between the two versions my mouses thumb buttons are 4 & 5 in SDL2, but 8 and 9 in SDL1.2.

Not a big issue, it just means another rebind, was just curious about the logic. (am using linux btw) 
Thanks for the reply, Eric. I tried your suggestion but to no avail. That put Quakespasm being the issue to bed. I uninstalled SCPToolkit, installed DS4Windows and all is back to normal.

Again, thanks for your help. :) 
More Granularity In Analogue Movement? 
Sorry to harp on about controller stuff, Eric, but I have a request if it's possible.

Though there is change in player movement speed depending on how far one pushes the left analogue stick it would be nice if there was more nuance to it.

I don't know the technical term for it but I feel the movement should ramp up smoother across a greater range of the stick. Right now, it's a little twitchy for precision jumping and the like.

The right stick for looking is great though.

A slider in the menu would be perfect but even a CVAR (or is there already one that I've missed?!) would be nice.

Hope you're having a lovely Christmas. :) 

Hmm.. it looks like the only cvar for controlling the movement stick is "joy_exponent", default 3. But, that also affects the look stick as well.

Try lowering it to 2 or 1. 1 will give you linear mapping from stick travel to movement speed.

I can probably split this into 2 cvars if it turns out you need different values for the move and look sticks. There is no menu page for any of this, would be a good idea probably.
Thanks and merry Christmas as well! 
Thanks. :) 
Setting the joy_exponent to 1 made a big difference to movement. However, like you suspected the effect is too heavy handed for looking. Would it be possible to split it into 2 CVARS?

I reckon setting them to 1 and 3 would be pretty perfect in terms of map navigation and aiming. At least, for me.

Also, I just want to say thank you for always responding in an interested and polite manner. I can't tell you how refreshing it is not having a dev respond with eye rolling or "code it yourself, noob". I enjoy playing another old FPS and I dread asking questions about that source port. Again, thanks for allowing me the space to 'just' be a player and not a mapper, modder or coder. :) 

Hey guys, thanks for the great work you're doing.

I tried running heavy mods like AD with Quakespasm, experienced not-so-high-fps. Which features can I disable (or use some commands) for any fps boost? 
Options: 
• Reduce video resolution
• Play on a computer made after the year 2010. 
Also 
Be aware that the physics breaks above 72 fps. So if your standard is ultra-smooth 144 fps you're going to be disappointed. 

Can't find the tools thread (I suck) ... didn't want to kill joy in a new release thread.

"Fix MarkV .lit rendering (do the color->greyscale conversion in a way that forces MarkV, FTEQW to render identically to Fitzquake, Quakespasm) "

That's is completely inaccurate description. The external .lit file is just covering up the evidence.

If you would load a map that suffers the issue in GLQuake or WinQuake it would look all wrong too, so there was a majorly serious issue there with the .bsp having lit data that didn't resemble the data in the external .lit file.

I am hoping you already know this and expect you do.

Back a few years ago when Spike explained the rationale behind FTEQW's .lit method, the logical was so sound and impactful that it was clear it was the "right" way to do things.

Posted here so I don't killjoy your release thread.

Pritchard should get beta tester MVP trophy. 
Most Valuable Pritchard 
What, for noticing that the lighting was buggered?

I don't know what the best solution is for .lit compatibility is but it might still be this one - having maps look different in different engines sucks so being able to make everything look the same is very valuable. It would be a lot harder to coordinate this between each individual engine I imagine... 
In AD you can try disabling the custom particle system. QS doesn't sort or batch sprites so this can be still a bottleneck.

IIRC there's an impulse command for it docemented in one of the readmes.

Be aware that at some point in the future a version of QS might exist that does batch sprites, so this bottleneck might go away and "disable particles for higher performance" would no longer be good advice. 
Can't one set vid_refreshrate "144" and host_maxfps "72" for a smooth frame rate without tearing and breaking the games physics? I thought that's what these CVARS were for... I could be wrong, though, as I'm pretty ignorant to most settings for Quake! 
FYI 
Interesting comparison of model light levels across WinQuake, QS and FTE:

http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61351&start=121 
Possible Bug 
Nice port, I'm really sorry that my first post is gonna be a bug report. Previous Weapon doesn't seem to work, no matter what I assign to it. Next Weapon does work though. Also, when assigning a key to an action (when the equals sign appears) moving the mouse acts as if using it to point (as in moving the camera). Besides that, it's a great port, really faithfull to GLQuake. 

The "Previous Weapon" feature is a function of the gamecode in your pak files, not something that the engine does (normally). It sounds like your pak files are not the final ones that were released for Quake. Sooooo... where did you get them from? Is it from the Quake demo, or an early run of the Quake CD? 
Which Mod? 

True, it could also be from playing an old mod. 

The .paks are from my CD. Someone else told me about the .pak thing today elsewhere. The weird thing is the same using the same .paks in MarkV doesn't give me this problem. 

MarkV can add "previous weapon" (impulse 12) even if the mod doesn't have it / you are not running the latest patch version of the pak0.pak/pak1.pak. 
FireNX 
Replace pak0.pak (the one that's the same in shareware and regular Quake) in your Quake directory with the latest version (1.06, available here) and you should be good.

Pak1.pak shouldn't need to be updated to the best of my knowledge. 
Solved 
It was indeed the pak0.pak. Man, my CD must be old. 

Collectible! :-) 

0.93 "has stopped working" when trying to load death32c.bsp 
Thanks 
reproduced it. 
Getting Stuck On Buttons 
64-bit builds (tested on windows, probably linux/mac also) have a bug where the player gets stuck on buttons that move at an angle:
https://sourceforge.net/p/quakespasm/bugs/26/

I don't have a fix yet, but it's 99% likely the same as past 64-bit bugs (code assuming x87 math with 80-bit temporaries for floats) and should be quick to fix.

We'll do a 0.93.1 bugfix release sometime soon with this, a fog bug fix - https://sourceforge.net/p/quakespasm/bugs/24/ , and the death32c.bsp crash (vis data overflow). 
Does That Allow For Alpha Values Below 0.666 On {fence Brushes? 

Qmaster 
Do you know if any engines with fence textures implement it?
I'm assuming it would just need to use (0.666 * entity_alpha) as the alpha mask cutoff, instead of always using 0.666? 
Not That I Know Of, Twould Be Great For Ground Fog 
Currently you can have a func_illusionary using a fence texture and set the alpha to any value between 0.666 and 1.0, but below that it just dissappears.

I think it is just an arbitrary hardcoded threshhold. If it is necessary to have a threshhold, having it at 0.09 would be preferable. I haven't done an engine comparison for it.

Could be the thresshold has something to do with support for alpha channels (e.g. on png) instead of just the pink palette value 255, but not really sure on that point. 

My understanding is, the 0.666 threshold only comes into play when you use texture filtering - the actual pixels of the fence texture only have alpha of 0 or 1, the texture filtering interpolates between these, and then the fragment shader converts the interpolated value back to 0 or 1, depending on whether it's less than the threshold or not. So the specific threshold will control how big the fringe is around spites / fences.

The "(0.666 * entity_alpha)" sounds right to me, it's just something that should have a test map + screenshots, maybe with 0.25, 0.5, 0.75, 1.0 entity alpha on a fence texture. 

Lower alpha values will cause edges of fences to become faded, blurry or hazy, which is a very undesirable artefact. If you want to achieve a specific effect it's better to open a discussion about it, rather than trying to overload an existing effect in unintended ways. 
Quakespasm Gamepad Problem With Menu 
I am trying QuakeSpasm with a Dualshock 4v2 connected to Steam Link (so it appears as an xinput device to the game, afaik). The controller works, but there is a very odd problem: there is seeminly no way to "enter" any menu. I can enter/exit the main menu, navigate it, but not actually enter any of the menu options with any gamepad buttons.

And a feature request if I may: would it be possible to add an in-game mod and map browser/launcher? 

https://github.com/bangstk/Quakespasm

Suggestion:implement Quakeworld style HUD option from this branch. 
HUD Request 
I enthusiastically second this idea. Even if it's just a console cmd and not in the menu I prefer this HUD to NQ version. 
Transparent {fence Textures 
Please see this: http://www.quaketastic.com/files/misc/testing/test_trans.jpeg

I had the idea one day to mix alpha and {fence to make ground fog. It looks neat in the editor, but it doesn't work in-game. It would be really cool to mix this type of effect with some non-solid func_train's, func_bob's, etc.

I still don't understand why it doesn't work below 0.666.

Cross Engine Testing:
FTE: Does not support alpha on {fence textured faces. Side note: fence rendering has weird ugly black edges.
Mark V: Same as QS. Side note: the Pixelated/Rough mode looks best for fence edges (not related to the alpha). Not sure if this is just disabling mipmapping or what.
DarkPlaces: The old version I have doesn't support either {fence or alpha.
All other engine versions are the most current. 
Jago 
I can enter/exit the main menu, navigate it, but not actually enter any of the menu options with any gamepad buttons.

The A and B buttons are hardcoded to select menu items / go back a screen. If A/B are not working, it means something failed at a lower level than Quakespasm (probably SDL2's controller mapping).

Does it help if you download this file and put it in your quake directory?
https://github.com/gabomdq/SDL_GameControllerDB/raw/master/gamecontrollerdb.txt
It should enable more controllers.

re: mod menu and bangstk's changes, both things I have been meaning to get to 

I still don't understand why it doesn't work below 0.666.

Because GLQuake sets this at startup:

<p>glAlphaFunc(GL_GREATER, 0.666);</p>

Meaning that when the alpha test stage is enabled, anything with an alpha of less than 0.666 is discarded.

Fences are drawn with alpha test enabled, so that's why it doesn't work. 

Is there still use for the SDL1 version? Just curious about why that variant is still included in the package. 

Not much significant - audio CD support, win 9x support. 
502 Bad Gateway? 
Hey Eric. I periodically update through your nightly builds page found here:

(http://quakespasm.ericwa.com/job/quakespasm-sdl2/)

but the page has been giving a 502 error. Just thought I'd let you know in case you were unaware. :) 
Thanks HipnoticRogue, Fixed 

Screen Refresh/FPS Question 
If I set the game (in-menu) to 60 or 120 the game runs smooth as butter. If I use the built-in FPS counter the game reports 60 fps. All well and good.

If I set the game to 144 (my monitors refresh rate) the game hitches ever so slightly every few frames. When I check the FPS counter it only reports 71 fps. I have Host_maxfps set to 72. Shouldn't the game report 72 fps?

Regardless of what I do I get screen tearing unless vsync is on. At 60 fps there's a very noticeable lag in movement (I use a controller). The lag's not so bad at 71 fps but, like I say, there's that slight hitch which drives me insane!

I've tried using gl_triplebuffer set to "0" and "1" but neither seems to make any difference regardless of whether vsync is on or not.

Is there an issue with 72 fps or do I just have to live with the slight stutter?

I haven't reported it as a bug because nobody else has mentioned this 'issue' and I'm not sure if it's user error or an engine limitation... 

You're not the only one. A lot of people experience the same thing at 72. Even at 250 it feels like shit. Chew it down son. It's the recommended quake experience. 

You're not the only one. A lot of people experience the same thing at 72. Even at 250 it feels like shit. Chew it down son. It's the recommended quake experience. 

can u fix the double click thing? 
@Hipnotic Rogue 
I think QS's vsync implementation is broken, in that it doesn't disable the regular frame throttling code so sometimes you will get stutters. I would recommend avoiding vsync right now.

It sounds like you get hitching with vsync off as well, at 144Hz?

One hack you can try is "sys_throttle 0" - this will make QS use 100% CPU instead of sleeping (the default is 0.02).

If there's stuff we can do to make this better I am interested. I'm hoping to get a 144Hz monitor some time this spring as well. :-) 
@Hipnotic Rogue 
I think QS's vsync implementation is broken, in that it doesn't disable the regular frame throttling code so sometimes you will get stutters. I would recommend avoiding vsync right now.

It sounds like you get hitching with vsync off as well, at 144Hz?

One hack you can try is "sys_throttle 0" - this will make QS use 100% CPU instead of sleeping (the default is 0.02).

If there's stuff we can do to make this better I am interested. I'm hoping to get a 144Hz monitor some time this spring as well. :-) 
@ericw 
I've set sys_throttle to 0 but there's no change that I can discern.

It's not hitching as such at 144 Hz with vsync off. The 'hitched' frame (for want of a better term) tears instead. It's regular as clockwork just as the hitched frame would be with vsync on.

Is there anything else I could try for you or any more info you need just now? 

sounds like you want SDL_GL_SetSwapInterval 2 instead of 1, or ideally -2 (to enable swap_tear when timings slip a little).
The interval in question is measured in terms of buffer swaps, so 2 means that it'll run at 72fps on a screen running at 144hz.

Regarding host_maxfps timings - quakespasm uses milliseconds for timing - and rounding down means it needs to wait a little longer before the next frame.
This alternative will give more accurate host_maxfps:
double Sys_DoubleTime (void)
{
return SDL_GetPerformanceCounter() / (long double)SDL_GetPerformanceFrequency();
}
But do note that it might misbehave on certain/old dual core machines that lack drivers to resync cpu timers.
And ideally you'd rebase the counter to 0 to reduce fpu precision problems, but they.

Regarding nvidia, (at least for me) vsync is broken in their opengl drivers when the program (otherwise) runs at about 1000fps. Crossing that boundary (relative to the previous frame) results in a noticeable stutter. Enabling something wasteful like bloom seems to help, thanks to it no longer drawing frames in 0ms...

tl;dr version: timers suck. 

host_maxfps has lots of subtle little interactions beyond just wonky physics and killer elevators.

Particle trails have been touched on before; here's another one that many people might not be aware of.

Record a demo of you running around in a map for a minute or so at host_maxfps 72.

Record another demo of you doing the same run-around in the same map at host_maxfps 1000.

Compare the file sizes.

Interesting, isn't it? 
Quakespasm On Steam? 
For free. Why not? 

There's probably some legal shenanigans about distributing shareware Quake as part of another piece of software. Do you really want to read 17 pages of people who installed a sourceport without a game to play and are all copypasting the same gfx.wad not found error? 
@spud 
I'm assuming there's a way to ensure Quake is installed before launching. Similar to DLC. I dunno. 

Can anyone explain why Quake monster models occasionally turn black? I'd guess it's a lighting bug in the Quake engine but if anyone could give more detail as to why. I remember seeing this especially with the Scrag model. 
Quake models get their lighting from the ground directly below them. If they pass over a bit of ground in total darkness, they go black.

Scrags sometimes fly over pits with pitch black bottoms far below them, and they thus turn black. Which is ugly. 
Following From That 
I kinda wish Quake used a 3d "light grid" like Quake 3 does for model lighting. People would probably be more inclined to make mdl props if the lighting was more accurate. 

And if there wasnt a 256^3 unit limit on size per frame. 

Don't models also only poll light from a fixed distance down? If they're too high up in the air they won't be lit regardless of what's below, iirc. 
I Thought Flying Monsters Used Lightsource Data Same As Viewmodels 

I'm not sure if you're actually looking for a solution to it, maiden, and maybe this belongs more in Mapping Help, but there is a workaround for dark flying enemies.

At the very bottom of the area in question, use an ordinary texture, and light it adequately, for example with the texture light option in ericw's compile tools. A short distance above that put a brush entity, like a func_illusionary or func_wall, that has the visual you want, like the solid BLACK texture. Enemies will pick up the lighting info from the solid world geometry underneath the fake surface, but players will only see the brush entity. A func_wall will also have the effect of making the surface solid, so if a player dies their head camera won't fall through.

I used this trick in my Xmas Jam map, xmasjam_tens, and although I used a solid gray texture, the principle is the same. I did have to tweak the lights to prevent the lower edge of the world from being brightly lit, but with eric's light options I was able to set the surface light's '_surface_offset' key to a negative value (in my case -2048). The surface got enough light to make entities above it visible, but the lower edge of all my rockwork is no more prominently lit than the rest of it. I almost didn't expect it to work, but it seemed to, so I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. If you want to take a look, my source .map file is included in the Jam release like everyone else's. The light entity I used for the surface light is sitting just atop the starting crate, at 296 248 -112.

There's also sock's ad_sepulcher. There's a cavern area with a bridge, which triggers a mini earthquake when you walk over it. Search for a bunch of entities with the targetname "cavebridge_setup", they're all in that space. Look down at the bottom of the pit and you'll see an approach similar to mine. First is a func_detail_illusionary to provide the visual impression of a bottomless pit, but underneath is just regular world geometry, with ordinary textures. There's a few lights with their 'mangle' key set to make them spot lights, pointing down, so they only illuminate the extreme floor and don't break the illusion of endless blackness.

I'm sure other mappers have examples of this too, it's an old trick, but those two are the only ones I can remember off the top of my head. 
@3252,3253 

Winquake traced up to 2048 below the mdl, QS traces 8192 units. The code is in R_LightPoint: https://github.com/id-Software/Quake/blob/master/WinQuake/r_light.c#L248

@Tens
First is a func_detail_illusionary to provide the visual impression of a bottomless pit, but underneath is just regular world geometry, with ordinary textures.
Weird, I don't know why this worked, because the raytrace in R_LightPoint should have hit the func_detail_illusionary and picked that up instead of the lighting below it. Regular func_illusionary is safe though.

Btw, with my tools, you can set _minlight and _minlight_exclude on world brushes with func_group or func_detail - this could be a handy way to make the hidden brushes have the desired light value, without having to bother setting up spotlights pointing down. 

Thanks for the feedback mates. I was just curious what causes the ugly-looking effect. Good to know it's not a bug at all.

@ItEndsWithTens
If I ever dab at mapping I'll be sure to employ your workaround... :) 

@eric
I'm just going by what's in the 1.70 source files. Though looking at the map again in QS 0.93.0, Scrags flying over the pit do look kind of dark, so maybe it doesn't actually work? Hard to tell, honestly. You'd have to ask sock for more info, maybe there's more to it than meets the (or at least my) eye.

I'll be sure to fiddle with that minlight exclude key, sounds intriguing!

@maiden
Glad I could help! More Quake mappers is always a good thing, you'll certainly be welcome if you decide to join in one day. 
Controller Movement Tweak 
I added a "joy_exponent_move" cvar for controlling the move stick's mapping curve. Previously it was hardcoded as linear.. which translated to feeling twitchy (as Hipnotic Rogue was mentioing in ##3198)

I went with a new default of 3 (matching the "look" stick).. now you have to press the stuck further to get full speed, but it's easier to move slowly. The "look" stick is unchanged.

Wonder if any controller users could give me a second opinion on this in the dev build?
http://quakespasm.ericwa.com/job/quakespasm-sdl2/240/artifact/quakespasm-r1556.zip 
Cool Beans! 
I'll give it a test run after work and get back to you. :) 
As Will I 

Huge Improvement! 
I've been messing around and setting the joy_exponent_move CVAR at lots of different values just to see the difference. I reckon you were on the money with setting it at "3" though. :)

Slow and small movements now feel much more manageable.

Good job. :) 
Thumbs Up From Me Too 

Awesome Thanks 

The scrag example is one of the reasons the lightgrid was invented for Quake 3. 
When Will The Quakespasm Page Be Up Again? 

Does QS support .scale? I wonder if it would be fun to make tarbabies merge when they touch each other, forming a bigger tarbaby with each merging, all the way up to becoming a huge shambler-sized tarbaby. 
Awesome Idea! 
That would be an horrible "the thing"-like experience! 
If Barnak Likes It, It Must Be Wrong 

@mankrip 
I'm fairly confident that if you tried to use DarkPlaces .scale on an Ogre...

If you doubled his size, his feet would be in the floor.

Also you know Quake hulls (collision) ...

Maybe for Quake 3 map format .scale would work, but any feature using the Q1 map format shouldn't be called ".scale" but rather ".broken_scale". 

Hmm, that would require a protocol change then. Or a modified model, or CSQC.

The protocol method would send the mins&maxs from the QC physics bounding box to the client, so the renderer can offset the position of the model correctly. It's the most general-purpose solution and would make .scale more intuitive to use. 
@mankrip 
scale is supported by the rmqe/999 protocol, as well as fte+dp's protocols of course.
QS supports 999, I don't recall if it supports the scale part but QSS definitely does.

.scale is just as 'broken' on q3bsp as q1bsp.
For it to work properly, you need to bias the mins_z value to compensate. Obviously this will look seriously broken in engines that don't support scaling...
On q1bsp you need to refrain from changing mins_x and mins_y though, which limits the range of sizes you can get away with (otherwise a large monster will walk through walls in one direction, but not its opposite, and values that differ from the hull's size will make it more extreme).
maxs_z can be changed freely, at least. the monster might ignore ceilings but that's not a problem if you just avoid placing upscaled monsters in places with low ceilings. 

I don't think .scale is a good idea for reasons outlined by Spike, with which I'm in full agreement.

It's important to remember that the RMQ engine was a tech demo. One of it's purposes was as a semi-experimental test-bed for new ideas, not all of which should be expected to work well. Another of it's purposes was to become obsolete as ideas that did get bedded-in and nailed-down were picked up by other engines. It's a natural consequence of those two purposes that sometimes the implementation might be a bit wonky, or might simplify to a special case, or whatever. The point is: RMQ engine's implementation of .scale might not be a great model to work from. 
Scales 
RMQe's behaviour is fine, and is consistent with DP_ENT_SCALE, so that's a good thing.

But yeah, the hull issues make automatic scaling unworkable, so scale without qc is generally a bad idea.

So imho RMQe's scale is fine, and more robust than hexen2's... 
@mk -- Actually No 
"Hmm, that would require a protocol change then. Or a modified model, or CSQC."

Nope. Neither.

1) Open up, say, QME and double the model size.
2) Change the .qc setting the box -- you might need to add a new monster. This would at least get the Ogre's feet touching the ground appropriately.

3) If you decided to make a monster too big for a Quake hull (Shambler size?) -- you better add some invisible func_walls to box the bastard in too hide the lack of proper collision.

You can do what you want to do today and it would work in any Quake engine including and be done in 30 minutes.

Just don't get forget the asterisks. ** Any proper map using a "too big" model like the QTest dragon (Once Upon Atrocity, for instance) needs to "no clip block him in" to his area and close the door behind the player so he can't be sticking his dragon wings through the walls.

The Kurok engine actually had a special brush type "monster_clip" for special clip brushes that instead of blocking the player would block only the monsters instead --- in the case of Kurok, it was a helicopter shooting missiles and the monster clip kept it in a defined box.

The Quake map "Source of Power" https://www.quakewiki.net/archives/underworld/quakerev030624.html ... had baby Shamblers in GLQuake -- and I can't remember the name but some map had a 2x sized fiend or Rogue gremlin or something like that. It was also a map that ran in WinQuake/GLQuake just fine.

The short version is that ".scale" is and always was ".completely_broken_scale" that sounded cool unless you knew how broke it was.

It doesn't solve any problems and creates false newbie-sauce visions of grandeur -- and you can manually create a double sized or half sized fiend that works in WinQuake/GLQuake.

/Someone should find the guy who came up with the idea for ".scale" and slap him with a wet fish. 

You can do what you want to do today and it would work in any Quake engine including and be done in 30 minutes.

My idea was to use .scale in an animated way, and with non-arbitrary sizes. There would be a maximum size, but the tarbaby would also have any size between the minimum and the maximum.

Using multiple models would kill the model interpolation and wouldn't provide non-arbitrary sizes.

The animated shadows in Fightoon were created using animated scaling. The higher in the air the player gets, the larger (and more transparent) the shadow gets. This would be absolutely impossible to create in a regular engine. 

And here's another example of animated scaling usage. This effect dynamically resizes the model to the intensity of its entity's lighting.

I just didn't try figuring out uses of .scale for solid objects before. But for purely visual effects, it's a clear improvement. 

Using multiple models would kill the model interpolation and wouldn't provide non-arbitrary sizes.

You could author a new animation of "growing" from size N to size N+1, in each model. Play in reverse to shrink. This means he can't do anything else while he grows/shrinks, though. 

Also, the vertex compression would still cause the transition from one model to another to be jittery.

Using multiple models would still be a hacky & inefficient method. But the bigger issue is that the physics would likely end up even more hacky.

A proper solution for the physics would probably be to use the Q2 BSP format, which uses raw brushes for collision. But this means that such gameplay ideas aren't suited for Q1 anyway. 
Malice Issues 
why does the minigun skin in malice get messed up in both quakespasm and glquake?

also the probe wont fly about in quakespasm either... 
Small Idea / Request Thing 
Would you consider a "devkill" command? (short for "developer kill")

It would function like "kill", in the sense that the map and entities are all reloaded. However, it would preserve:

player position
player view angle
the current state of god, notarget, noclip.

When doing a lot of very rapid iteration on part of the level design, I realise most of my time is spent noclipping over to the place in question to test out the changes :/

I could fudge this in QC but then I think it would better if the feature was available engine side so you can use it in all mods.

For world geometry changes only, I can fudge it by just using save/load, but that doesn't work for any entity changes.

Just an idea. Would anyone else find it useful? 
Sure 

Pretty Cool Idea Yeah. 
I'd use it. 
"devkill" 
Save the state of the player entity only, minus dynamically referenced fields like entity and model references, and overwrite the current player state with it.

This could be implemented as "saveplayerstate" and "loadplayerstate" commands, giving the advantage of retaining the player state between engine sessions. 
Mankrip 
I like the cut of your gib. Sounds like an elegant way of doing it :} 
@Kinn 
I would use this as well. +1 
@Kinn - Noclipping To A Place 
Quakespasm has an setpos command to teleport you to a specific spot in the map, if I recall.

Type viewpos to get an x y z or you could type r_pos.

Those commands happen to work in Mark V. In Mark V, type viewpos and then typing setpos without the x, y, z will teleport where viewpos was last typed.

Short version: I think you can do what you want to do in Quakespasm already. 
Yeah, I Started Out Looking At That Actually. 
Turns out it didn't help too much because it's not really a case of me needing to teleport to the same specific area a lot, it's more to preserve the player's current arbitrary location and view during reloads when doing very rapid design iterations, where my location is jumping around all over the place.

The time it takes me to type r_pos, then note the coordinates, then type setpos X Y Z, means it's something you only want to do occasionally, and probably bind it to a key, which only really makes sense if you're spending a lot of time in that same area. But I zip around rapidly working here there and everywhere like a nutter.

If I just wanted to set up shortcuts to a bunch of fixed locations, it would be better to create a testing hub with teleporters to ten or twenty key areas in the map I reckon.

Without someone looking over my shoulder watching exactly how I work, I'm not sure if I'm really selling this to be honest :{ 
Hold Your Biscuits! 
Sorry I didn't read the critical bit here:

Those commands happen to work in Mark V. In Mark V, type viewpos and then typing setpos without the x, y, z will teleport where viewpos was last typed.

Ok, that's actually pretty useful. 
Custom Gfx Images 
Does the engine support custom images for the player HUD? It's for a mod. 

Is the issue with the Probe in Malice and engine side issue? Or something that could be fixed with QC? The probe won't move when activated in quakespasm.

Also wondering about the skin misalignment on the minigun mentioned earlier. 
Sorry I Forgot / Lost Track 
Can you link the post?

Skin misalignment: Not sure if it's this, but there is a half-texel offset in mdl skins in GLQuake relative to winquake, we discussed changing it to match WQ a few years ago but the consensus was to keep it as-is because there's a lot of content designed for the buggy GLQuake standard.

-- here's the current status on bugs in TC's I'm aware of:

1. the Xmen start map has a meditating guy telelporter, the teleport trigger is tiny due to setmodel() using a size based on the mdl rather than a fixed size like winquake. This was a change metl made in Fitzquake that I think he said was inadvertent. Not fixed - my feeling is we should revert to Winquake's behaviour, but there is a risk of breaking mods that were built for FQ's behaviour, so it may need a gameplay fix cvar to get the FQ behaviour back, which are a pain.

2. Malice (I think it was) has blue checkerboards on gibs, this was meant to highlight the mod being buggy since the skin number was invalid, but we changed it back to winquake behaviour and added a developer warning. 

Sorry, I don't know how to link to the original post in this thread. I'm pretty new here. Here's the original text though:

"Malice Issues
#3280 posted by [86.131.50.80] on 2018/02/25 19:40:30
why does the minigun skin in malice get messed up in both quakespasm and glquake?

also the probe wont fly about in quakespasm either... "

I know the minigun thing is some sort of vsync/resolution issue. I tried playing with setting and it would eventually work. But would have to set vsync on/off each time I start.

The probe won't move at all when fire key is pressed. I did find something about MarkV engine fixing this or making a work around.

http://quakeone.com/forum/quake-help/quake-clients/5863-proquake-4-43/page8 

@kinn - I'm glad that helped, ericw is free to copy the implementation if wants, obv. During testing I often need to go to the same point in a map frequently to examine an area doing engine stuff, obv.

@legend - Malice should play essentially perfectly in Mark V. NightFright really liked Malice and clubbed me over the head with Malice. If I recall, it is bounding box issue that FitzQuake simply has different behavior than WinQuake and the solution is something like sv_gameplay fix original Quake bounding boxes (I can't remember cvar name off hand but it sv_ something.) 
How To Invert Look On Quakespasm. 
Please help. All I want to do is invert the y axis for my ps4 controller. everything else works fine. Where is this default.cfg? I do not see it anywhere in my quake folder. I see dosbox_quake and dosbox_quake_single in the root directory. Where do I put joy_invert? 

@pfraktal:
Default.cfg should be in the main folder. If not, try in your ID1 folder. Also, try changing settings inside your config.cfg in the ID1 folder or inside the folder of which ever mod/mapset you are trying to run. 

You can open the console with the `/~ key and type "joy_invert 1". This is an archived cvar so it will be saved to id1/config.cfg. 
Please 
Restore the vanilla Quake startdemos functionality. 
-fitz Commandline Argument 
You might already know this, but you can get the functionality by adding the commandline argument -fitz when starting QS. 

That does muck with a few other minor things tho. 

Yup, one of the more noticeable ones is by default QS's tab-menu status bar has kills, secrets, and skill level, while -fitz reverts it to kills, secrets, and time elapsed. 
What are the other effects, exactly? 
-fitz 
Ooh what other scary effects are there? 
-fitz 
Going off memory here, because the readme only includes "o To disable some changes, use "quakespasm -fitz" which is less than helpful for finding exact changes:

-QS by default drops the player straight to the console screen with a new grey background, -fitz enables the old id background and demo reel (vanilla Quake behavior)
-Status bar info changed (mentioned previously)
--fitz re-enables the 'Press Y to quit' prompt, while QS will otherwise let you immediately exit. Note it's just a plain 'QuakeSpasm 0.9.whatever by <author list>' message even with -fitz enabled, not a full credits list with 'press Y to quit' all the way at the bottom like WinQuake, or the various Doom-style insulting quit messages ("Are you gonna quit this game just like everything else?") of DOS Quake.
-Possibly changes updated entities, although this one I'm not sure of; Quakespasm's own .pak file still includes .ent files for five maps, but I don't know what they change offhand and it's not listed in the readme. QS does include an external_ents cvar for loading of external entity files, but it's set to 1 by default with and without -fitz. I also thought one of the changed entities was E1M1 to get rid of the obvious Z-fighting on the lift for the quad secret (by moving the lift down slightly, as original Quake always drew world brushes in front of brush entities so there was no Z-fighting there), but that's not included so maybe I imagined it?

Also of note is that the console background is in the .pak where it should be, but the HUD layout itself (the time/skill switch up) is apparently hard-coded. 
Wierd. 
Who is the QS curator anyways? I get the impression it's a community effort. 

Judging by the source code, -fitz prevents loading of the whole quakespasm.pak, which includes alternative default keybinds, conback picture and ent files.

Speaking of features, it would be cool to refactor the menu in such a fashion that menu controls could be anything else than arrows. But damn, this looks like a lot of manual labor. What are the chances of breaking something important in case of menu controls altering, I wonder. 
So When I Deleted My Quakespasm.pak... 
I basically always run in -fitz mode? 
No, because there are hard-coded behaviours in the engine that don't depend on content. 

Going through the source code, the exact and only differences -fitz applies are:

- Don't load the custom quakespasm.pak
- Run the normal demo loop (QS otherwise goes straight to the menus at startup).
- Pop up the Quit prompt (QS otherwise just quits immediately).
- Revert some changes to the solo scoreboard layout.

If you delete the quakespasm.pak you'll get the first of these; you will not get the others so you will not be always running in -fitz mode just by doing this.

It's also the case that future revisions of QS may add more.

Don't let this become one of those stupid items of "Quake lore" where the entire Quake community becomes religiously convinced of something that's actually flat-out wrong. 

startdemos is called by quake.rc. If QS has its own .pak to overwrite settings, it can ignore startdemos by simply omitting it from quake.rc. Does QS actually ignore startdemos in the engine itself? 
@mankrip 
Hardcoded in the engine 

Does QS actually ignore startdemos in the engine itself?
Yeah, QS disables the "startdemos" command, unless -fitz is used.

MarkV's approach seems better to me; it has an archived host_startdemos cvar default to 1, if you want to disable startdemos for all mods you can add "host_startdemos 0" to your id1/autoexec.cfg or launch with +host_startdemos 0. 
QS/Quoth Bugs 
Not sure if this is solely related to QuakeSpasm, due to it being the only port I use, but there are some bugs when playing Quoth, such as the Trinity/Reflection flashblends not getting cleared after loading a quicksave or the view offsets and roll being misaligned when quickloading during an earthquake effect until either restarting the engine or letting the effect play out in its entirety. Also, is it intentional that monsters aren't interpolated when they are on a moving platform, or is this not implemented yet? Last thing of note is that the "give a(rmor) x" command is bugged in QS and Mark V when playing with Dissolution of Eternity. The amount entered is properly set, but the armor icon doesn't update and for some reason it makes you able to fire lava nails without having the SNG. 
Buggy Mouse Look In 0.93.0 
I just downloaded 0.93.0 after using 0.92.1 for a while without any issues and my mouse is skipping around a lot. I'll be looking straight ahead when suddenly I'll do an instant 180 and be looking behind me. Sometimes I end up looking at the floor or any other random direction, and it often leads to blowing myself up when using an explosive weapon.

Apparently I seem to be the only person experiencing this but after doing two fresh installs, I can't seem to get rid of the problem. The only resolution is to continue using 0.92.1, but any help or suggestions would be appreciated. 
@Poorchop 
Do you experience this on both the SDL 2 and the SDL 1.2 .exe? 
A Windows 10 update broke that. The SDL2 version should still work though. 
#3314 #3316 
@Poorchop
Funnily enough, I get the same mouse problems with Doom 64 EX, which also uses SDL 1.2, but not with Quakespasm SDL 1.2.

@Kinn
Sorry for getting off-topic, but ironically, regarding Doom 64 EX, there is a Windows 10 fix for the mouse issues, but I have Windows 7 and mouse issues anyway. The fix doesn't work for me either. 

Also, is it intentional that monsters aren't interpolated when they are on a moving platform, or is this not implemented yet?

This bug existed in Fitzquake as well, I never could figure out why.

Also falling scrags in demo1.dem seem to not interpolate their fall. 

Last thing of note is that the "give a(rmor) x" command is bugged in QS and Mark V when playing with Dissolution of Eternity. The amount entered is properly set, but the armor icon doesn't update and for some reason it makes you able to fire lava nails without having the SNG.

This command doesn't exist in the original Quake engine and the bug is inherited from FitzQuake. The Rogue/DoE mission pack uses different defines for armour, and the original defines are instead used for some weapons.

In your specific case, the original IT_ARMOR1 define has a value of 8192; in the Rogue mod that's actually RIT_LAVA_SUPER_NAILGUN, so hence the behaviour you see.

Engines implementing a "give a" command should test for "if (rogue)" and use RIT_ARMOR1, RIT_ARMOR2 and RIT_ARMOR3 instead of IT_ARMOR1, IT_ARMOR2 and IT_ARMOR3. 

@Poorchop, which .exe did you experience the bug with in 0.93.0?

The naming convention changed so quakespasm.exe is SDL2.0. This one should be mouse bug-free because it uses raw input, and the other one - quakespasm-sdl12.exe (and all SDL1.2 apps) have known broken mouse input since the Windows 10 Fall creators update. 

I know we had a brief Q&A about this upthread, but it really does seem like something needs to be done with that SDL 1.2 version. If not getting rid of it entirely, then isolating/renaming it so that people only use it if they really need it (i.e. are playing on Win95). 

something needs to be done with that SDL 1.2 version. If not getting rid of it entirely, then isolating/renaming it so that people only use it if they really need it (i.e. are playing on Win95).

The bad thing about SDL-1.2 on Windows is that no one has backported the bug fix for Fall Creators Update (Win10 v1709) SetCursorPos() bug to it yet: someone should -- I tried myself but got lost in the mess and gave up.. Other than that it still works OK, and it's still good for systems where SDL2 is not available. 
@mh 
Give commands suggestion:
The mod should be able to define the give commands in the quake.rc file or default.cfg.
Something like:
set give "1", 2048
set give "2", 4096
set give "3", 1024
set give "0", 16384
set give "n", 256
set give "s", 512
Etc. Etc.

This would also add ability for any char to give specific mod ITems. Well, except for .items2 or .moditems that is.

I'm okay with having builtin give overrides for the mispacks, but any more and it gets ridiculous adding in a bunch of mod specific checks. At least this might provide support for these cheats to future mods or allows enterprising Quakers to make their own mod quake.rc updates and share them for different mods. 

ericw and DabbingSquidward, thanks for your help. I was wondering why one of the executables was called quakespasm-sdl12.exe instead of *-sdl2.exe. I read the changelog yesterday but I guess I somehow missed that part. That explains why I wasn't having issues in 0.92.1 - I was using SDL 2.

I've been swearing off Windows 10 for years but I finally decided to give it a shot, and of course it's the root of many of my problems, not just with Quakespasm. Go figure. Anyway, I tried the standard .exe with 0.93.0 (SDL 2) and it's working perfectly. Thanks for your help. 

The mod should be able to define the give commands

In that case, aliased impulses would work better, because they're compatible with any engine.

The "give" command is for end users, not for mod authors.

A middle ground would be to make the "give" command accept raw bitflag values. Accepting raw bitflags only would make the code even cleaner. 

Speaking of which, what are all the items that the 'give' command is able to grant? The ones I know of are:

3-SSG
4-NG
5-SNG
6-GL
7-RL
8-LG
H-Health
A-Armor (Fitz, Spasm & Mark V)
S-Shells
N-Nails
R-Rockets
C-Cells
L-Lava Nails
M-Multi Rockets
P-Plasma

Is there anything I missed? To add to the suggestion, it would be nice if the command accepted whole words or classnames, like in GoldSrc or every engine beginning with id Tech 2. Such as "give weapon_supershotgun", "give ammo_shells_large" or "give item_artifact_super_damage". 

That's pretty much complete, aside from some Hipnotic weirdness in the weapon give commands (0 = hammer, 6a = proximity gun, 9 = laser cannon). 

The "give" command is for end users, not for mod authors.

I'd go one further and say that the "give" command is a cheat, so it shouldn't be expected to be 100% robust.

it would be nice if the command accepted whole words or classnames, like in GoldSrc or every engine beginning with id Tech 2

On the surface this seems a reasonable and sensible proposition.

However, Quake 2 fully moved the "give" command into the game DLL, meaning that mod authors were responsible for writing up it's behaviour.

Would Q1 mod authors be willing to accept something similar?

This is a more general issue with proposals of the "Q2/HL did it so why can't Q1?" nature; making such changes can involve architectural changes which may break compatibility. Of course Q2 and HL didn't need to be compatible with Q1. 

Yes, something like that in the Q1 architecture would be a massive hack. And imo, hacky features are the main responsible for feature creepiness in such projects, dragging the projects to a slow death.

The less silly code to maintain, the better. 
I Don't Mind The Idea Of Direct Bit Value 
give muh-bits 

Just use [krimzon_]SV_ParseClientCommand.
Then the mod can provide whatever it wants without needing the user to do weird stuff etc, and without the engine changing quite so many random fields and breaking stuff by doing so... 
@mh; @metlslime 
mh: In your specific case, the original IT_ARMOR1 define has a value of 8192; in the Rogue mod that's actually RIT_LAVA_SUPER_NAILGUN, so hence the behaviour you see.

Haha, just when you think there are no more quirks.

Also falling scrags in demo1.dem seem to not interpolate their fall.

Haha. mh and Spike explored/explained that one years ago --- it is a horror story of vast cruelty related to monsters and lifts.

Basically --- it cannot realistically be fixed.

Which I think that means mh might have tried in DirectQ, haha ;-) 

I tried, I failed, I crashed, I burned.

The problem is movement (*NOT* animation) interpolation is done differently for the two different classes of entity, resulting in minor differences and oscillations in positions.

I don't think there's a 100% robust one-size-fits-all solution for this. 

On lifts? Dead bodies could use MOVETYPE_FOLLOW.

On demo1.dem, where a dead scrag falls in the GK water pool? I'm not sure. It seems to be more of a general problem with far away entity movement being not interpolated correctly, since in some engines it also happens with the living fiends walking at the bottom of the water pit in the beginning of E2M2. 
Scaling Up 
Is there a way to scale up lower resolutions similar to Mark V WinQuake in order to get the classic chunky pixel look? Mark V WinQuake allows you to play at modern resolutions but scale up from 320x280 or 640x480 and it looks pretty true to the original even when playing at something like 1080p. It also preserves the original HUD scale.

WinQuake is great for closely approximating the look of the original game while still playing on modern monitors but I can't get the music to work and a bunch of new maps/mods utilize Quakespasm features. I feel like at least part of the original look could be recreated with upscaling. I tried setting r_scale to a higher number but that just makes everything look really blurry instead of crispy and chunky, and I can't find any other scaling settings apart from scaling the HUD. 

gltexturemode gl_nearest_mipmap_linear helps Quakespasm look a bit more WinQuakey. 
Music In Mark V 
I'm assuming you have your music in ogg-format. Mark V (infamously) doesn't support it (or at least I think it still doesn't). MP3 works at least. 

Mark V has native Mac and iPhone ports. Apple API does not do OGGs.

Apple API decodes mp3 via hardware acceleration and stop and start music at the drop of a pin including on Windows. Other engines cannot do this and have to do things like restart the map and such.

Mark V also does not need any DLLs to do what it does.

Also mp3 decoding via hardware uses almost no CPU, especially important on a portable device like an iPhone due to battery.

mp3 > ogg simply because all Intel and ARM chips have MPEG accelerated decoding built into the chip.

This is why your DVDs play fast. This is how music on your iPhone or Android phone plays.

Try playing an ogg on an Android phone and watch what it does (hint --- it says "converting to MP3"). 

Disabling texture filtering certainly helps but it still looks quite far from WinQuake without being able to scale up while preserving the aspect ratio. Also thanks for the advice regarding the music. I'll try the mp3 files instead so that I can have some music alongside the chunkiness of WinQuake when playing through vanilla stuff. 
Mark V Winquake FTW! 
I also like to play the id1 episodes on Mark V Winquake. :) Same goes for the early custom maps that don't have lits and stuff.

Interesting stuff, Baker. I didn't know how well MP3s are supported all the way down to the hardware level. I'm starting to see, why you're defending it over ogg so vehemently. c: 
@esrael 
Yeah, most people don't know (nor care) about the implications of music play on all platforms. I did some engine modding a Playstation Portable Quake. It had a hardware mp3 decoder and also a software decoder libmad. The hardware decoder ran like lightning. Libmad software decoding ran like total foobar with 19 fps.

I try to study the proper way to do things and know exactly why I am doing them.

I have literally watched Quake engines crash and burn that did not know why they were doing what they were doing.

And what's funny is common factor tended to be doing "what most people want" (at the time!) against long-term "health" without understanding "what most people want" is fickle and subject to change at a moment's notice. 
Palette Wank Incoming... 
Poorchop, big crunky piskels is one thing, and I'm somewhat of a fan of that, but for me by far the #1 thing that gets the "WinQuake look" is if the lightmapped textures are drawn via the quake colormap, to get the proper 8-bit palette colours.

Now, FTE does this accurately with its r_softwarebanding option. I don't know of any other GL engine that does it properly, but FTE does. Of course, software engines all do it, but I also quite like having double digit framerates in modern maps, so a GL engine is the only option for me.

With r_softwarebanding on, just firing up start.bsp and looking up at those wooden boarded ceilings, letting myself melt into those rich chocolatey shadows, is enough to give me a proper Quake boner.

A lot of people instinctively dismiss the idea of Quake pallettisation in the modern age of coloured lighting and fog, and indeed if you just did the pallettisation as a post-process effect, then yes, it looks like total arse because of that...

However, FTE neatly avoids this by just doing it on the Quakey bits, and then the coloured lighting and fog just tints the colours "on top of" all that, and it just works and looks absolutely great. Best of both worlds.

(All well as a reply to Poorchop, this post is also a thinly-disguised plea to ericw to do FTE-style r_softwarebanding in QS, but I think I've been fairly subtle about it, mwahahah). 

It's not difficult to do, just that it absolutely needs fragment shaders, which might be a step too far for some. 

I used to prefer WinQuake's distorted colors too, until playing enough maps with custom textures to realize that it looks like ass in way too many cases.

It's only aesthetically safe to use in vanilla Quake textures, because they were carefully designed for it.

Try playing maps such as SEWAGE.bsp, nar_cat.bsp or dwmtf.bsp in a standard software renderer. Instant vomit. 
Yeah, custom textures that rely too heavily on the terrible grey line will look like toss in software mode.

But I think it really makes well-designed textures come alive. The default GL-style lighting makes it all look a bit flat and sterile in comparison. 

Yeah when designing textures for quake's software renderer, there needs to be a a lot of noise and roughness, grimy/crusty materials looks best. Wide areas of a single color look really bandy and bad (but are fine in opengl) -- so you have a generation of custom textures made for glquake where people never even looked at it in software mode.

Also the voodoo cards which everyone had in 1997/8 to play GLQuake had its own dithering/grittiness/muddiness that actually enhanced the look of Quake. 

To come back to the pixel-scaling thing for a sec, in Quakespasm you can try different values for r_scale. I don't remember off the top of my head if this is also reflected in one of the GUI menus. 

@Poorchop:
setting r_scale to a higher number but that just makes everything look really blurry instead of crispy and chunky, and I can't find any other scaling settings apart from scaling the HUD.
This should make QS render to a half-sized framebuffer (for r_scale 2) and scale it up with nearest interpolation, so each original pixel becomes a 2x2 square. There shouldn't be blurring in the upscaling. If it is actually blurring the pixels together, mind posting your system info / screenshot?

It's not difficult to do, just that it absolutely needs fragment shaders, which might be a step too far for some.
QS 0.93's world faces and alias models go through fragment shaders, so just water, sprites, particles, sky, and anything else I'm forgetting use fixed-function at the moment.

I do want to implement this at some point! (I tried a quick hack a year or so ago, that postprocesses the final 32-bit rendered frame. What I did was make a lookup table from rgb565 to the nearest Quake palette color, then just feed in a 32-bit pixel, decimate it to 16-bit (565), then lookup the nearest Quake color and output that). As Kinn was saying, palletizing a 32-bit rendered image that has fog already baked in tends to look like mud, so this needs to go into the fragment shader before fog is added.

The faster / more natural / software faithful way of doing it is to ignore colored lighting and use the colormap.lmp just like software, having the fragment shader read the textures as 8-bit. Another option is to support colored lighting by blending with the lightmap in 32-bit, the using the rgb565 lookup table to convert that to paletted. 

Oops you actually mentioned r_scale!

Hmm I haven't had any blurriness issues with that, assuming the necessary setting of gl_texturemode. 
Wrong Word Choice 
Maybe saying that it looks blurry was the wrong choice of words because it does appear to be doing exactly what you mentioned. It just doesn't look like upscaled WinQuake, which is what I was kind of hoping. I guess I went with blurry because when moving around, it kind of looks like what you would see if you were playing in biting cold wind and your eyes were watering.

Here is r_scale 1:
https://i.imgur.com/jJBlmWr.jpg

and here is r_scale 5 (went with a much higher value to better demonstrate what I'm talking about):
https://i.imgur.com/UUCZLV0.png

The few rows of pixels going across the screen around where the shotgun model ends exemplifies what I mean when I say it looks blurry. This is especially true when moving.

The only pertinent visual setting that I'm using is gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR but I think that I also tried this with gl_texturemode 1 with pretty similar results. This is on Windows 10.

Also interesting stuff Kinn. I haven't really put my finger on what exactly it is that captures the original look but it probably has more to do with what you said rather than just chunky pixels. I haven't tried FTE yet but I'll give it a look to get an idea of what you're talking about. Granted newer maps that take advantage of the fog and colored lighting still manage to look really beautiful in Quakespasm - trying to preserve the original look probably would be more of a detriment in this case. I'll have to look at FTE to get an idea of how the fusion of new and old holds up. To be fair, I'm not too hung up on retaining all of the old visuals because I do like the frame interpolation with animations in modern engines and I like the feel of modern engines especially with regard to the more comfortable mouse look. 

The few rows of pixels going across the screen around where the shotgun model ends exemplifies what I mean when I say it looks blurry.

That is a problem with the way that GPUs choose mipmaps. WinQuake uses the nearest vertex distance to determine which mipmap should be displayed on the polygon, but GPUs uses the farthest vertex distance, therefore choosing lower-res mipmaps.

I recall someone explaining this in another thread here, and that there's no solution because there's no API to finetune this behavior on GPUs. The only way to minimize the problem is through anisotropic filtering, but afaik it only works in GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR. 

I am pretty sure that in Quakespasm (or GL Mark V) the gl_texture_anisotropy setting does affect even gl_nearest_mipmap_linear texturing in some way. Don't have the details handy though. 

GPUs uses the farthest vertex distance

That's not true.

With a GPU, mipmap level selection is (1) per fragment, NOT per vertex or per polygon, and (2) based on the screen space derivatives of each fragment.

For fixed pipeline hardware selection is described in the GL spec, e.g for GL 1.4 on page 145: https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenGL/specs/gl/glspec14.pdf 

By "per fragment" you mean trilinear filtering?

I'm on mobile, can't easily search for the specific post where I saw the info.

(2) based on the screen space derivatives of each fragment.

Which means that for polygons that aren't parallel to the camera plane, the texels farther away from the camera gets smaller, so the texel on the vertex farthest away will determine which mipmap to use. That's how I understood it.

What I'm talking about is a comment about the differences between trilinear filtering, anisotropic filtering and why the walls on hardware-accelerated engines gets blurry when seen from an angle. I don't remember the exactly thread, but the comment was somewhat recent. 

Okay, here's the exact quotes:

winquake's mipmapping was based purely upon the distance (and texinfo+screensize+d_mipcap). 

on the other hand, opengl decides which mipmap to use based upon the rate of change of the texcoords - or in other words surfaces that slope away from the view are considered more 'distant' and thus get significantly worse mipmaps. 

glquake and winquake have _very_ different mipmapping rules, and glquake just looks blury in about every way possible...

Also Worth Adding...
#3143 posted by mh [137.191.242.106] on 2017/11/22 18:29:07
...that in hardware accelerated versions of Quake, mipmap level selection is not normally something that the programmer has control over; this is done by fixed function components in the graphics hardware.

The first quote is the #3140 posted by Spike [86.151.115.97] on 2017/11/22 17:55:03. 

No, forget about vertexes, they're not relevant. Likewise distances: Not relevant.

Per fragment is not trilinear.

In OpenGL a "fragment" is a collection of values used to produce a final output; please read https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/Fragment for more info.

Texture coords (NOT texture lookups) are linearly interpolated between the per-vertex and per-fragment stages. Those interpolated coords are then used for mipmap level selection and texture lookup, which may have linear or nearest filtering applied.

In shader speak,

in vec2 texcoords;

Vec2 ddx = dFdx (texcoords);
Vec2 ddy = dFdy (texcoords);

Vec4 color = textureGrad (texcoords, ddx, ddy);

And that will give you the same result as the GPU's automatic miplevel selection.

The important message however is that miplevel selection in hardware is NOT per-vertex or per-Surface, because the fragment shader stage just doesn't have access to that info. It's per-fragment; per-pixel if that's easier (even if not 100% correct) terminology.

This is all public information; it shouldn't need to be explained. 

mh: Yes, I didn't try to learn exactly how it works, but it was enough to give an answer that despite being not technically correct, points to the right place where the cause is: the GPU mipmap selection algorithm. This way Poorchop knows that it's not a fault of the texture mode or screen scaling algorithm used by QuakeSpasm.

I was just trying to help so the guy won't waste his time messing around with every cvar trying to fix it. In this sense, my answer should give the proper results.

And yes, I recognize I'm way more dumb than I should be when it comes to hardware rendering, but it's not my field. There's no future for me in it. I only learn what I need to know about it from an user perspective. 
Render Gun In Lienar Or Nearest 
Problem Solve ! 
Yet Another Controller Question! 
Is there a way to designate a specific controller in QS?

I just got a lovely Hori Fighting Controller that I use for old d-pad based games and emulation.

Problem is that it's plugged in whereas my analogue controller is wireless. It seems that QS only reads the first controller recognised by Windows or something.

When I boot up QS it only responds to my plugged in controller and I can't find a way to get QS to read what has now become my 'second' controller.

PS: Just a FYI that the Nightlies page has a 502. :) 

At the moment it's hardcoded to use the "first controller in the list" returned by SDL.. agree this would be a good / easy thing to improve.

I don't know what would be a good way to store it in a cvar - just the controller index would work I guess, as long as the OS returns them in a consistent order across reboots.

re: Nightlies, thanks.. rebooted. 

Do you think that sometime in the future you'll create a menu for controller options? Maybe if players can easily change things in a menu it wouldn't be such an issue if they did have to occasionally change the CVAR.

Of course, I've really no idea how much work it is to add menu stuff in Quake... Just curious. :) 
Potential Code Snippet Donation 
in_sdl.c -> IN_StartupJoystick ...

Replace "for (i = 0; i < SDL_NumJoysticks(); i++) { ... }" block with following.

{
qboolean do_second = COM_CheckParm ("-controller2")
qboolean found_first = false;
for (i = 0; i < SDL_NumJoysticks(); i++)
{
const char *joyname = SDL_JoystickNameForIndex(i);
if ( SDL_IsGameController(i) )
{
const char *controllername = SDL_GameControllerNameForIndex(i);
gamecontroller = SDL_GameControllerOpen(i);
if (gamecontroller)
{
if (do_second && !found_first) {
found_first = true;
continue; // skip to the next one
}
Con_Printf("detected controller: %sn", controllername != NULL ? controllername : "NULL");

joy_active_instaceid = SDL_JoystickInstanceID(SDL_GameControllerGetJoystick(gamecontroller));
joy_active_controller = gamecontroller;
break;
}
else
{
Con_Warning("failed to open controller: %sn", controllername != NULL ? controllername : "NULL");
}
}
else
{
Con_Warning("joystick missing controller mappings: %sn", joyname != NULL ? joyname : "NULL" );
}
}
}

Hipnotic Rogue could just add -controller2 to the command line. 
Someone in the QuakeDroid thread asked for controller support for Android ...

Was about to implement controller support from a SDL2 development blog, then realized if it didn't use the same key names, behaviors and such as Quakespasm would be a missed opportunity.

Short version is that I spent some time researching the differences between the initialization in Quakespasm vs. what I read on the SDL2 development blog, and ended up reading this section of code several times. 

Cool, I hope the QS controller code is useful. I'm biased but I really like how it turned out (pretty clean integration with the engine, playable out of the box, defaults went though a lot of player testing - i.e. cubic easing, the deadzone implementation.)

Here is the initial commit that shows the changes outside of in_sdl.c: (mostly just adding K_ABUTTON and K_BBUTTON to the menu code.)
https://sourceforge.net/p/quakespasm/code/1293/

I made some further tweaks which I think were restricted to in_sdl.c. Let me know if anything is unclear.

(Thanks for the -controller2 code snippet, that seems like a good starting point for multi contorller support) 

Should you have use for it, @insideqc I posted something for "Quakespasm Ticket #27" (Unix path) that isn't rocket science but perhaps will save you 5-10 minutes.

Go to sv_main.c line 1432 (SV_SpawnServer) and applying that to the sv.model_precache[1 + i] (modifying it) *should* in theory solve the problem for models.

Might need to hit pr_cmds.c PF_precache_sound and pr_cmds.c PF_precache_model. And sv_main.c @SV_StartSound and sv_main.c @SV_ModelIndex

Rough blue print.

/If you decide that is worth addressing at all. The counter-argument is that this falls at the doorstep of the mapper -- the mapper fixes the map and re-releases the map. There are myriads of ways a mapper can foobar a map, perhaps the right answer is "Not going to protect mapper from self". 
Thanks 
Yeah, it's a grey area. If winquake.exe and QS on Windows accept it, that's a good argument for accepting the backslashes on Unix OSes, but it should be a developer warning on all platforms (realistically most maps are only tested on Windows before release). 

If winquake.exe and QS on Windows accept it,
that's a good argument for accepting the backslashes
on Unix OSes,

I disagree, we shouldn't have to fix mapper screw-ups.

Not going to protect mapper from self

This is how I see it. 

Plus what about mixed case filenames -- say some guy does a upper case file name that happens to match a lower case on in a pak on accident and Windows ignores it ... but Linux should do what?

Trying to protect mappers from their own choices ultimately leads to choices with unexpected consequences.

/Anyway, just throwing out a thought. 

fair point, I guess this kind of compatibility hack also indirectly forces other engines to apply the same patch. A developer warning would be good though. 
Ericw 
I do want to implement this at some point!

Zomg, sorry I seem to have missed this post, but that is great news :D

The faster / more natural / software faithful way of doing it is to ignore colored lighting and use the colormap.lmp just like software, having the fragment shader read the textures as 8-bit

I'd happily live without coloured lighting just for the true software look, although it's worth having a gander at how FTE does it, which somehow does the proper 8-bit palette look, but then it can still get tinted by coloured lighting afterwards, which neatly avoids the colours getting mangled. 
@ericw 
The way Quakespasm's SDL2 controller support works totally doesn't work on Android (at least not as of SDL2 2.0.8 - March 1 2018).

That being said, SDL2's controller support for Android appears to be better than in the past.

I think SDL2 used a "Steam/desktop computer mentality" to the controller support for Android, and then started to gravitate towards using the existing controller support already that is part of Android (which from accounts I have read, works outstandingly well).

I may yet get some sort of Android SDL2 controller support to work (I have 6 buttons working, no axis working, several buttons not working).

I think SDL2 has done a tremendous job on Android.

Now I think I understand why the SDL2 blog and your code were different.

Anyway, just wanted to provide some feedback to as to how that went. Should I get it to work, having your skeleton of cvars/deadzone stuff will have been very useful even despite SDL2 Android wiring differences. 

I've got a question about an issue that is suuuuper minor -- but I'm curious so I'll go ahead and post it.

When quitting the game, or when using the menu to start a new singleplayer game while you already have a game active, Quake will pop up an "are you sure" dialog that waits for you to press Y before continuing.

Something I've noticed when using Steam streaming with Quakespasm is that the dialog will be visible on the monitor of the PC that is running the game, but it won't be visible on the TV that the game is being streamed to (through Steam link). On the TV it looks as if the game has frozen up. But you can still of course press Y (or ESC) and things work as expected.

(I'm not sure if this happens with other Quake engines too.)

This is not anything I'm losing sleep over, but do you have any guesses off the top of your head why that dialog doesn't make it to the streamed display? 

might be drawn to the back buffer and then the buffers aren't getting swapped before the game stops to wait for input?

Does the same thing happen if you try to start a new game from the single player menu while a map is loaded? 

oh, reading a bit more closely... maybe the streaming to a TV doesn't update the most recent frame? It's one frame behind somehow? 

Nah, what is likely going on is that the screen is blocking in Quakespasm, like it was in FitzQuake and original Quake before it.

So anything that depends on a normal frame or normal event process isn't going to happen.

(A counter-example: in Mark V very recent builds, the dialog screen is not blocking -- you could stare that the dialog screen all day and, for instance, not disconnect from a server. It might be like that in FTE also, I wouldn't be surprised. I may have even got the idea from FTE and then forgot.) 
Although Actually ... If It Is One Frame Behind ... Here ... 
Although ...

If the issue is "one frame behind" ...

Quakespasm source ...

scr_drawdialog = true;
SCR_UpdateScreen (); <---- I don't draw twice!
scr_drawdialog = false;
do {
while }

If the stream expects double buffering, it isn't getting it in SCR_ModalMessage.

The test for a solution would be doubling it up ...

scr_drawdialog = true;
SCR_UpdateScreen ();
SCR_UpdateScreen (); // Double buffer it.
scr_drawdialog = false;

(My first reply was on gut instinct about the event queue/not having a normal frame ... because I've experienced a fair number of headaches before due the blocking dialog so I had the blocking dialed in as public nuisance.

But gut instincts aren't always right ...

and although I've run into instances of the blocking dialog not drawing specifically because it is blocking .... may not mean anything at all in this situation ...) 

not all systems even support explicit *SwapBuffer calls.
Eg, webgl takes away control of your main loop, redrawning only when your redraw function returns.
There's other systems that do the same sort of thing, including Android's GLSurfaceView or MacOS's cocoa api.

Plus there are drivers that violate the GL spec and force triple-buffering, so you're never sure how many swaps you actually need to make to ensure that its actually swapped.

As a result, its imho easier to just keep redrawing the screen regardless (which is required on many systems anyway, where the system doesn't repaint unless the app explicitly does so - like windows).
But its best to avoid modal things entirely. Sometimes you don't really have a choice though (like QC debugging).

Regarding video capture, the recording program probably set up some code injection that copies the backbuffer to a pbo (or a compute shader) before the swap. Such things generally check the response the frame after that, which avoids forcing the cpu to sync with the gpu. This requires a couple more swaps before the data is available to encode, which of course makes loading screens really messy.
Hurrah for threads!... 
GNU/GPLv2 Question 
Am I allowed to sell a mod on steam, using quakespasm engine ? I need some guidance with GNU/GPLv2. 

Here is an example of someone selling something on Steam using a Quake engine: https://store.steampowered.com/app/793670/The_Wastes/

Here is a mod on Steam for Half-Life: https://store.steampowered.com/app/225840/Sven_Coop/

The engine source code license agreement does not have much to do with any of this. 

As long as I give credits to quakespasm creators, and if the mod doesn't include quake materials (models, textures, sounds...) it's ok ? 

You should read this: https://partner.steamgames.com/steamdirect

But then also ask the question: are there people who are going to pay for a Quake map/mod in 2018?

Probably not. 

It's not about the engine, but the vibe (Thirty Flights of Loving, DUSK...)

Thank you for the link. 

In the mapping help thread, you asked about WAD3 (Half Life 1 texture format).

FTE is the engine used in the first link I gave you (to the best of my knowledge) and it supports the Half Life 1 map format, which is like basically Quake map format except for the texture format is different which is why J.A.C.K. can easily do both Quake and Half-Life 1 maps.

I mention that because you referenced something with tons of color, and it is basically impossible in Quake because of the color count restrictions. 

I stick with Quakespasm. Quake palette haven't much "blue" colors, right. I haven't yet looked into customizing palette.lmp

Do ya know PixaTool ? 

Is there any way to smooth out jerky monster movement while they ride platforms or elevators? 
Suggestion: Autocomplete On Load Game 
I tend to store a ton of savegames with crazy names. I really like how the "map" command has auto-complete on the mapname.

Might it be possible to do a similar autocomplete on the "load" command for the savegame names? 

just a brainfart, not terribly important of course 
QSS Frame-rate Fix? 
Are there plans to add Spike's frame-rate/physics fix to QS any time soon?

I'm just curious as I've found that it has fixed my issue with intermittent stuttering on my 144Hz monitor. :) 
Yes 
QS has been on the backburner for me, but when I get back to it that is something I want to add. 
Great Stuff! 
It's kinda surprising that Spike's 'little' breakthrough hasn't caused a bit more excitement. I suppose that's to be expected in such a small community. :) 

that and that anyone who actually cared already had a choice of other engines that already had fixes for it. 

I implemented compute shader water warp (one pass) in vkQuake. Feel free to steal it, can easily be translated to a fragment shader with a triangle over the texture. 

I have troubles running "Eargasm" mod for Quakespasm. It seems the engine doesn't accept the new wav files, at least some of them.
For instance :

guncock.wav is played in the engine, but it seems to be filtered/emulated in 11025hz/8bit.

buzz1.wav isn't played at all (I've checked with the command "snd_show 1", the engine doesn't play the sound at all).

I tried x86 and x64 Quakespasm.
I tried to re-encode the files using different wav format settings.

Latest Quakespasm update : 20th Nov 2017.
Eargasm was released on 16th Dec 2017.
Would it be possible to make an update ?

https://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-eargasm/downloads/quake-eargasm 
>moddb 
says it all. 

Suggestion: Add option to disable auto weapon switch on pickup 
Makr0n 
That's the realm of QuakeC, and not something that can be done in engine without the hideousest of hacklets. 
Not sure if this helps but all non-music sounds must be mono in Quakespasm. Maybe there are some stereo files in that pack designed for use with other less compatible Quake engines. 
Really? 
That explains why some of my sounds from a few mods fail in game. 
@qmaster 
As far as my tests this is the case with QS. I don't have a PC at work today so I can't confirm. But as I see in the DP docs stereo support is mentioned. "Stereo sound file support (useful for cd tracks)" I'm assuming that this was added, some mods were created with stereo files that break compatibility with Fitz variants. Which mods are messed up? I'd like to pursue this further and if you want I can mix the tracks down to mono for you. 
@qmaster 
I read a bit further in the docs and I am right -- DP added stereo sound playback for mods. 

stuff like this is why I made QSS convert stereo to mono on load.

also, change sndspeed to anything other than 11025 and that will disable quakespasm's low-quality filter. 
I'll Have To Check 
To save myself the headache of changing precache file paths in the qc when merging in from mods, I kept the files in the same folders.

This had the drawbacks of not being able to tell which files came from which mods as well has name conflicts.

So...might be a while before I can tidy up and get a comprehensive list to find those again. 
@qmaster 
Don't sweat it. I can peruse the files and check on my end if they are included in keep. 
Quakespasm 0.93.1 Released 
What About A Spike Version, For OS X? 
And what about that old quakespasm.pak that have date 1 march 2016, while the newest version (?) is 27 june 2017? 
PNG Screenshot File Sizes 
It seems like the PNG screenshots that QS writes are larger than they have to be? If I resave them in Paint or Paint.NET the file size is halved with no apparent difference in quality.

Also, I would greatly appreciate an option to disable the "wrote xxx.png" message. 

Also, I would greatly appreciate an option to disable the "wrote xxx.png" message.

And why does that bother you? 

speaking for myself:

When taking multiple screen shots in a row to perhaps catch a monster in a specific position, for example, you have to wait for that message to go away or to use host_timescale to slow down monsters.

When I have r_drawviewmodel 0 and crosshair 0 for screenshots, itd be nice to have some sort of way to avoid all on screen prompts and such. 
Freezeall 
You can freeze monsters at will. Mark V has the freezeall command and other engines have sv_freezenonclients 1 

The large PNG's are intentional to try to limit hitching. They're compressed in the main thread of the engine, and default settings of png libraries I tried caused unacceptably long freezes in the game (like 0.5 seconds - 1 second depending on the resolution.)

If we moved the PNG compression to a background thread, we could use good but slow compression settings - this is just more work to set up.

Agree with a cvar for hiding the "wrote" message. 
Sometimes I like to take multiple shots at once, but then the best "takes" have the message printed on them which isn't too good aesthetically. 

There is a cvar called "con_notifytime" or similar which controls how long the console text appears at top of screen. Try setting it to zero, maybe even make a alias that sets it to zero before your screenshot and then back to default after? 

Thanks, metl. That works. Doesnt show on screen but still shows in the console so one can confirm screenshots have been taken. 
@otp 
What mukor said. I've never seen a screenshot with the message showing. Maybe an older version of QS? 

Screenshots And Messages 
One way of handling this is, rather than taking the screenshot immediately, just flag an "scr_screenshot" qboolean to true, then run SCR_UpdateScreen and if scr_screenshot is true selectively suppress certain UI elements. Finally glReadPixels and capture the screen. 
@3417 

yes, taking one screenshot wont display the message in the screenshot.

spam the screenshot key and youll get the message in the screenshot.

some people implement real world photography concepts into screenshots and one of those concepts is to take a quick series of images to then pull the best one from.

Think of skateboarding where they use shutter speeds to capture the whole trick then pick one of the pictures to use on the cover. 

heres a GIF with this in action:

https://i.imgur.com/Xe2Jd1U.gifv 
Here Is Another One 

Uuuhhhh 
are these last few posts just one big troll?

you know the "clear" command is a thing yeah? clears the console?

bind F12 "screenshot;clear"

does what you want I think? 

metlslimes suggestion of "con_notifytime" is better than using clear, imo. 
Sorry For The Tone 
reading that back again sounds a bit patronising, but I think it's a valid solution for now.

Maybe the fact it clears the console history doesn't make it a perfect solution. 
Con_notifytime 
lol, I skimmed past that.

Yeah that's even better. 
Lol 
yeah, i changed the binding now too.
no trolling intended. 
And Btw 
that rrp gif is 5 yrs old now, i just remembered making it was such a chore not knowing how to disable the message. 

It would be neat if QS allowed for changing the actual layout and functionality of the hud. I think stuff like that would be very cool esp for big mods like AD. 
Huddage 
That requires support for CSQC hud code - I think QSS has this supported, but I haven't had time to check it out yet. 

I always get warnings when I try to get QSS. 
You Mean 
the website? It's fine FYI.

http://triptohell.info/moodles/qss/ 
Because Spike Injected A Packet Sniffer!! 
j/k i get the same warnings, idk what windows doesn't like about qss, it is annoying. 

Yeah, getting a virus warning from that. From the zip as well. Wonder why that is exactly. I reckon it is some funky code which gets picked up by heuristics? 
I Was Wondering 
How hard would it be to get temporal dithering, similar to that of Inside, into a quake engine?

The banding that the fog generates, esp in dark areas is pretty harsh. With good temporal dithering, that is limited to the fogged areas, things would look a lot nicer. Obvs this is not important as it is not a gameplay thing at all, but it would be neat. 

Also, thanks Kinn for the hud linkage :) 
Cool Idea 
The main roadblock for Quakespasm is the renderer is not fully converted to shaders; mdl and lightmapped faces are, but water, sprites, sky and anything else are still using fixed-function OpenGL.

Dumping some links on dithering I found:
http://loopit.dk/banding_in_games.pdf
https://www.shadertoy.com/view/MslGR8 

Ah, I see.

Here's a good talk about what they did in Inside here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdN06E6Xn9E

I also think they gave away the plugin, or whatever they wrote for Unity to do this stuff for free. Not that that would help a lot with QS. 
Isn't Fixed Opengl Faster Though? 

On any hardware from the past 15 or so years, fixed function OpenGL no longer exists: it's emulated with shaders in the driver.

Maybe "fixed function is faster" was true in the GeForce FX era, but time and technology have both seriously moved on since then. 
Classic Settings And Weapon View 
Aside from being unable to get an accurate weapon view like winquake/mark_v I think the features here are almost perfect.

r_scale, cl_sidespeed etc fix any minor gripes I've had.

Any ideas if this will be fixed outside of scr_ofsz -2 would be good. 
@Fifth 
What about r_viewmodel_quake regarding the weapon position. Setting that to 1 does the job pretty good I think.

I personally really would like the oldschool underwater effect in QS, but yeah, shaders, etc.

That and a way to actually have accurate colormap lighting rendition, because a lot of older levels do look a lot better with the harsher lighting, imo at least. 
@Fifth 
Yep r_viewmodel_quake should do the trick.

btw check out the >60Hz monitor support in QSS if you haven't http://triptohell.info/moodles/qss/ - host_maxfps 0 means unlimited, and it keeps physics running at 72fps.

btw thanks for that video ptoing, when I get back into engine coding I'd like to do more with shaders, and the temporal dithering sounds like a cool project. 
1 post not shown on this page because it was spam
First | Previous | Next | Last
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2018 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.