|Posted by Baker [188.8.131.52] on 2016/11/19 04:53:11|
* Nehahra support -- better and deeper link
* Mirror support, "mirror_" textures. video
* Quaddicted install via console (i.e. "install travail")
* Full external texture support DP naming convention
* Enhanced dev tools texturepointer video inspector video
* IPv6 support, enhanced server capabilities
* Enhance co-operative play (excels at this!)
* Software renderer version (WinQuake)
* "Find" information command (ex. type "find sky")
Thanks to the beta testers! NightFright, fifth, spy, gunter, pulsar, johnny law, dwere, qmaster, mfx, icaro, kinn, adib, onetruepurple, railmccoy
And thanks to the other developers who actively provided advice or assistance: Spike (!), mh, ericw, metlslime and the sw guys: mankrip and qbism.
/Mac version is not current yet ...; Linux will happen sometime in 2017
Gotta love the internet.
So Baker writes "not yet but I will" and you interpret that as meaning "it's dead", eh?
What's this I hear about Quake finally being dead? Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. I guess we can all move on to Unreal Tournament now.
You Mean UT2k18 Aka.....
....Quake Chumpions lololzor
I think you've posted some well thought-out comments, including some refreshingly detail oriented ones. This thread is intended as permanent record of feedback so none of the information is lost.
NightFright could tell you stories, there is an obsolete older Mark V thread here with 2500 posts and his observations about obscure mods + crashes, a few which have led to improvements in Mark V and also Quakespasm -- over time ... it was not quick at all! Ironically, maybe 2 which ericw pointed out solutions, ericw didn't actually do them in Quakespasm until way, way, way later.
In free projects the author is always vastly outnumbered and with limited time and a real life.
@adamer - I'm glad you determined what was up with that (your pakless setup). Sure, in theory it "should" work (except it doesn't in Mark V) and it sounds like it works with other engines, but in practice an actual Quake install whether from Steam or the CD or shareware has pak files -- so yeah ... I'm glad that mystery is solvd.
@QMaster - re:Marcher --- I like the attention to detail/testing/thought it sounds like you are doing with your Uber mod.
I hope that one day I can do another test run as intense as the one I did before that big Mark V update back then. ^^ IIRC there is still at least one issue kinda pending with the final map of Malice when fov changes after reloading the game. It must have to do something with the boss attack and how the port handles the short-term fov changes. It was supposed to be fixed, but a few months ago I managed to get the problem again/still. Need to see what became of it.
is the mod adjusting the fov or is it standard quake
oh reread the post i guess its an evil thing malice does
mods shouldnt ever change the users fov. could bean easy fix
In case you decide to pick up your work at some point in the future, here's my final bucket list for the current version of Mark V. Some bugs, some missing features, and a few things that I think would be beneficial to implement.
- BUG: death camera doesn't reset if you quickload at least once, die and press space to restart the level from scratch.
- BUG: game stutters for a few seconds at launch (or every vid_restart), sometimes leaving the audio permanently cracking.
- BUG: parallax skies are noticeably darker than vanilla GLQuake.
- BUG: vid_multisample does nothing.
- BUG: r_bloom makes textures look grainy, maybe the bloom pass is set to nearest neighbor?
- BUG: adaptive FOV is smaller than it should be, I need to set my FOV to about 96 to get the same FOV as 90 in QuakeSpasm and DarkPlaces (using a 16:9 display). Basically FOV 90 should adapt to FOV 106 in 16:9, not 100.
- BUG: TGA alpha mask isn't properly supported, e.g. font replacements have white outlines.
- No protocol 999 support, crashes when loading Orl's maps like Ter Shibboleth or oms3_2.
- Remove the whole "opengl32.dll found" shenanigans, in this day and age it is most likely a graphics wrapper like ReShade, not the 3dfx driver from the original GLQuake package from 20 years ago. Don't make people hex edit your .exe to get some post-processing effects going on.
- Unlock the OGG support for external music, Mark V already supports it internally, why comment it out on purpose?
- Add optional HUD filtering, nearest neighbor looks bad at non-integer scaling values.
- Add PNG support in addition to TGA.
- Add the "N64 style" minimalistic status bar layout as seen in DirectQ/qbism/RetroQuad/etc. Crazy convenient.
- Add (integer) HUD scaling for the software renderer.Some info on this:
- Add alpha/fence texture support for the software renderer.
- Switch the software renderer from 8-bit to 16-bit to have enough colors for colored lights and proper transparent water. This is what RetroQuad is doing. Or Half-Life for that matter.
Baker, do you have some public repo for this project, or just this zipped sources?
4 player coop with quake spasms controller support is my only wish list item
- Switch the software renderer from 8-bit to 16-bit to have enough colors for colored lights and proper transparent water. This is what RetroQuad is doing.
It isn't. Retroquad renders everything in 8-bit color, using 8-bit tables to access a single 8-bit indexed color palette. The tables are generated from 24-bit color data upon booting up the engine.
Retroquad doesn't use 16-bit color anywhere, and it doesn't do any direct-color transformations in realtime.
Baker, do you have some public repo for this project, or just this zipped sources?
The source code is in .rar format. ;-)
FQ And QS?
Silly noob question time:
Can Fitz Quake happily coexist in the same folder so as to share the same Id1 folder and the like?
Mark V and Quakespasm.
I have been putting Mark V, Quakespasm, FTE, Darkplaces etc in the same Quake installation for years and see no problem other than the save game incompatibility between Darkplaces and others, which is in itself easy enough to fix manually.
That's good news. Thanks for the reply.
Broken Links On Home Page
Hey. Just thought I'd let you know that there are a couple of broken download links on the Quakeone/markv page.
The Undergate download is broken and so is the Frogbot mapset.
I presume it's something to do with the 'updates' that went on there a while back... :)
Also: Why Doesn't This Autoexec Not Work?
bind "AUX5" "+jump" // jump on L1
bind "AUX6" "+attack" // fire on R1
bind "AUX30" "impulse 10" // cycle on dpad-R
bind "AUX32" "impulse 12" // reverse cycle on dpad-L
Can you define "not work"?
I create an autoexec.cfg file with the above text in it (a standard vanilla Quake cfg for controller support).
Mark V doesn't recognise it properly. The console says the engine loaded the autoexec file but the controller doesn't work at all in-game. No response on any button press or joystick movement.
It used to work in older builds of Mark V and Fitzquake. Just not Mark V 1.00.
Check your syntax. Unless I am on crack many cvars need the quotes.
I don't not know why it doesn't not work. I mean, the autoexec itself works -- it's just that I seem to recall that joystick support was simply disabled at some point in Mark V.... So yeah; it used to not don't work and now it won't don't not work.
Baker will have to make it so it doesn't won't don't not work when he gets back to working on Mark V again. It's as simple as that.
There is a workaround though -- you need to use a program that turns your joystick into a keyboard emulator. Something like JoyToKey or Xpadder. You might need to look for older versions of those programs, if the newer versions are no longer free. AutoHotkey can probably do that too, but is a bit more fiddly.
Good luck getting your joystick to stop won't don't not working.
Linux Build And Music
Is it possible to play background music with the current Linux build? Can't get it to work.
it only supports cd audio on windows, and directsound is of course windows-only and artificially limited to just mp3.
Yeah, the joystick code in Mark V is not quite correct.
If you dig deep in the OLD Mark V thread (Google up FitzQuake Mark V), a user with a joystick kindly posted instructions on how to make it work well.
I don't have a joystick, so I messed something up when I was trying to be "cool" or something.
/Mark V supports mp3 music on Windows and the Mac (and in my private experimental build, on the iPhone as well), but not Linux mostly because I didn't have time to get that up and running when I was making the Linux version.
Someone should donate a cheap dual-analog usb gamepad to Baker so he can test this stuff.... You can get them for like $5-$10 on ebay.
Or if you wanna get more fancy, get a Logitech F310 gamepad ($10-$15), which has a switch on the back that lets it change between using XInput/DirectInput, for thorough testing.
Currently Mark V reports that it detects when a joystick is connected, but can't seem to detect any input from the gamepad, using either input method.
|1 post not shown on this page because it was spam|
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.