News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Why Did You Start Mapping And Why Are You Still Mapping?
For me it was because I was a kid in school and I wanted to do 3D because it was the cool thing to do, but I couldn't get my head around 3D Studio MAX (however I know now it was shit back then and it still is!), so I decided to try UnrealED after being so mightily impressed by the unreal setting of Unreal. I then couldn't get my head around how to make stuff in UnrealED because it was so... different, but then came Radiant and it all made sense and I found the joy of my life and from the year 2000 until around 2003 I made a shitlode of maps.

From before and around the same time I did a lot of 2D-level editing for Stunts, The Incredible Machine, Red Alert and Red Alert 2 (including Yuri's Revenge).

Then from 2003 I had my "art" period that lasted until 2016 in which I only did level design not for functional purposes but to complement backgrounds of artwork I did or to just plan out environments and settings, but last year, I started doing Quake 2 level editing as a hobby (I started a new job as a software developer and moved towns etc.) and I've been on the grind ever since because IT. IS. FUN.
First | Previous | Next | Last
Making Levels 
I got interested in making levels when I was kid, creating small levels of flash 2D games. When I was a young teenager, I got interested in Serious Sam editing and that's where I learned basic terminology of building 3D worlds. I never got anywhere but instead made what would be compared to as small test maps.

UT 1999 was a big game for my friends and myself so I tried to learn to make a few deathmatch maps...again never getting anywhere.

I loved the Quake atmosphere and always wanted to make maps for the game. At some point I tried to use World Craft (or was it radient?) but simply couldn't handle the learning curve or at least I didn't want to output the efforts required.

For some reason, I did a playthrough of Quake 2 years ago and decided to see if there were any more current mapping tools. Enter Trenchbroom and the rest is history.

So I suppose I'd like to extend my thanks to Sleepwalkr for the development of Trenchbroom for it's why I can satisfy my desire to create maps in Quake!

Why am I still mapping? Well with the knowledge I already know, I can actually create maps from ideas in my head. As I continue to make maps, I get a little better at it each time and that's motivating for me. But perhaps the most important factor is that it's really fun to create a world! 

I like making maps because I've always liked building stuff. I'm a very artistic and creative person by nature and I've always been attracted to beautiful craftsmanship (either real like buildings, sculptures or jewelry, or virtual like maps or models). I have huge respect for artists and creators and it's one of the main reasons why I intensely dislike breaking stuff. I never vent my anger on objects or furniture, for instance. I'm actually rather interested in becoming a jeweler and a women's undergarment designer these days, since these two things are meticulously crafted and quite amazing to look at (and are a relatively realistic career prospect for me, since I'm awful at everything else).

I started getting into level design at around 9 with Warcraft 2, making maps so me and my neighbors could play new stuff. I quickly became pretty good at it too. Granted, the editor was insanely simple but making a good-looking map in this game does require a bit of work.

My first 3D map was made for Quake, a quite shitty multiplayer level I made at about 11. It was mostly an unlit garbage killbox. It's long, long lost so don't ask for it. I then migrated over to Counter-Strike and Unreal Tournament when I was old enough to have access to the Internet, and mainly made maps for my online friends. I ended up ditching Unreal Tournament mapping for Half-Life/Counter-Strike as I found it much easier.

I migrated over to Half-life 2 when it was released and my levels got enough traction that I was noticed by a few people and landed a gig in the industry. It was alright for a while but a combination of various things and especially high stress made me realize that just wasn't for me. Besides I really hate modern level design (both in theory and tech-wise) so I've been mostly making levels for old games for a few years now and have zero interest in mapping for games that rely far too much on meshes. I remember how disappointed I was when I opened the UnrealED that came bundled with UT2004 and realized how the maps were made.

So, right now I'm 26, I have been making maps since I was 9 and I still love doing it. I feel like I improve every time. That said I don't see myself working in the games industry ever again. I like the limits imposed by the jams and other contests since there are no real stakes and people aren't out to exploit you. 
First | Previous | Next | Last
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.