Skill 2 demos
First off, I got one general gripe: none of these maps have flickering flames. Not. One.
I mean come on! I know this is (supposed to be) a speedmap pack but it's not like it takes forever to set one attribute...
Now on to the meat of the matter:
A very blocky map, but as a speedmap I guess it's acceptable. More problematic bullet points:
1) This is extremely
symmetrical! While symmetry has its value in real-life architecture, in a game it is usually boring. It's OK to take inspiration from real places but remember to make the result interesting to both see and play.
2) Map with the strengths of the game in mind. This looks like a Doom map, not a Quake map. Quake's specificity compared to Doom was its room-above-room capacity but this map takes zero
advantage of it. It's flat, flat, and flat again...
3) Know your monsters' strengths & weaknesses and place them accordingly. Putting a shambler at one end of a very long hallway is pointless and serves only as a bullet sponge.
4) The "return to the blood" script is bugged: it triggers only if you fall through the floor, not if you go back down the stairs.
5) The button that opens the secret is very confusing: the "one more to go" centerprint usually warns the player that there's another button to find (or monster to kill). A more appropriate message would've been nice, as I found out only by accident that I needed to press the same button twice
6) Considering my very poor kill ratio (less than 20%, must be a first for me!), I guess that this huge serioussamesque courtyard at the end is supposed to get crowded at some point, but all these monsters never spawned...
7) Is grenade-jumping while juiced up on quad+pent really the normal way to get the GK? Because I couldn't find any other way and this kind of trick is a big no-no in my book.
Kills: 88/497, secrets: 1/1.
Undoubtedly the star of the show this time around. This would already be a fantastic map if it was a regular level, but as a speedmap it's properly amazing! How many people are Breezeep_?! How did you manage to cram so much work into a speedmap event all by yourself? Not much to criticize apart from a couple misaligned textures. Also, in the big elevator room after the SK door, the shambler can't hit you if you stay on top of the small lift.
Kills: 90/90, secrets: 3/3.
I loved this! Nicely built, though the outside SK area looks noticeably rougher than the rest - I'm guessing you lacked time to polish it. The emphasis on platforming, traps and otherwise dangerous environment gives it a nice Indiana Jones feel, pleasantly complemented by the very unquakey but oh-so-spot-on music. I hope you have more maps like this in the works!
Kills: 72/72, secrets: 2/3 (got the last one on a second playthrough).
Negbler, or Shamke:
Small, fast-paced and quite tough, the only map in this pack that can truly be called a speedmap. Here we have the usual negke quality working its magic. Not much else to say except that, though I do enjoy darkness in Quake, here it is slightly too dark overall to navigate without a
Kills: 35/35, secrets: 0/0.