News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
General Abuse
Talk about anything in here. If you've got something newsworthy, please submit it as news. If it seems borderline, submit it anyway and a mod will either approve it or move the post back to this thread.

News submissions: http://celephais.net/board/submit_news.php
First | Previous | Next | Last
He's quite active on Discord and #qc channel on irc 
Quakespasm really should check that the LIT file size is 3x the size of the BSP lighting lump, it's really more robust than just enforcing loading from the same gamedir. 

True although if your only change was deleting a light and recompiling, it probably wouldn’t change the lump size 

My expectation is that if the offsets are wrong then the size is going to be wrong as well. 

External files that depends on the integrity of internal data must be implemented with some sort of data check…

In Retroquad, the external texture format stores a CRC32 of the original texture's mip 0 texels, and the engine refuses to load it if there's a CRC mismatch. Plus, these CRC values are appended to the external textures' filenames, which solves most cases of multiple textures sharing the same name. Across ID1, ROGUE and HYPNOTIC, there's only one case of different textures sharing both the same name and same CRC32.

Appending CRC values to filenames would help with using old external file formats that can't be modified, but would complicate usage in engines that don't perform such checks; users would have to manually rename the files to remove the CRC value.

A less trustworthy method would be to just compare the external file date against the BSP file date, and issue a warning if the BSP file is newer. 
Trenchbroom Shortcuts 
Today I was really close to open Trenchbroom but then reminded myself I would have to learn all the keyboard shortcuts to use it efficiently.

Does it have a GTKRadiant-style of input presets I can just select from a list? 
WTF 
So we can just import/export mdls from Blender now without having to dick around through endless arcane loops and wondering which particular edge case is breaking things right now in this particular instance...

Thanks Khreathor!

And apparently there's no thread for this? 
Ijed: 
I can't tell what you are responding to. 
Whoops 
Blaster Weapon 
Ijed: 
that is cool... so this means you don't even need qME on your computer, the entire workflow is just blender -> quake? 
Yes you can export MDLs straight from Blender.
This is a plugin that was started by taniwha for QuakeForge project. I just took it and updated few features, to better fit Blender 2.8.
I still fix and adjust few things, but majority of features work as expected. 

does it support baking physics simulation? PRECORDED RAGDOLLS 
Quakespasm Issue With "forgotten Valley" #3 
I found my issue.
I had Quoth 2.1 but I needed Quoth 2.2.
Once I put the pak2.pak file from 2.2 in place, the floating platforms for secrets #2 and #3 appeared.
Thank you all for your input. 
#31536 @misc_ftl 
You can export simulation, but:
- MDL vertex/triangle limit is 2048/1024;
- atm it can only export one object, so you have to merge multiple objects into one (if your simulation contains multiple objects); 
Yeah 
Works fine so far. Can it do the flags?

For the time being I've been using Qme to add those. 
Semi-Official Definitions Needed 
I know this has been brought up many times before but how would YOU define the rules for the following:

Turtle Map

Speed Map

Map Jam 

speedmap: ~2 hours
turtle map: 1 week
map jam: seems like these are usually a month or so? 
Like I Said On The Podcast. 
Speedmaps: anything from # hours to 2 weeks.

Map jams: longer than speed maps and more emphasis on quality of the final product.

Turtle maps: a dead concept, not used in well over a decade. 

Speedmappenings: A day max.

Mapjammenings: It was a month when I last did one in 2001

Turtlemappenings: No idea, possibly millenniae. 

Speedmap: a couple of hours, a day if you must, but all done in a single session.

Turtlemap: used to be a week. Nowadays perhaps a cute title for a leaked map with a large box around it...

Map jam: variable, depending on the organizer; at least one extension is mandatory. 

Speed map: a few hours, max 4-6 depending of the mapper's speed.

Turtlemap: a week long, around 20 hours MAXIMUM if intending to crunch it.

Jam: anything as long as the focus is on detail. 
Anyone Like Making Frikbot Waypoints? 
I'm working on a map + mod project for deathmatch and custom maps. I have lightning hunter's huge pack of waypoints, but there about 10 critical maps (and then another 40 or so) that I'd love to get FrikBot wyapoints made for.

I haven't done them myself, and I could learn how - but maybe someone out there has a passion for making waypoint files and would be much faster than me.

Pretty please? 

Speedmap: a couple of hours, a day if you must, but all done in a single session. - that's it. A single session.

Anything else is a map jam 

The only speedmap I did in one session was my 2 hour map for Quoffee. 
Custom Quake DM Vids - Epic Action Within 
Hello all. I fired up my quake server and started playing some deathmatch on custom maps with some buddies. Check out the playlist link below. The action is good, the in-game voice commentary is perhaps better :)

Maps include:
- auh1dm2
- baldm6
- bsdm8
- utressor
- shady
- lacrima
- gomdm6
- kikdm6

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOeqzWT2GQIfjH8CAGD7bvKM4Uts2Xep-

Some of my favorites! Our server is running a custom DM mod that adds runes, off-hand grappling hook, bots, and other stuff. It's based on a super old mod (reincarnation) which was the work of Gen, Gonzo, and Bal from back in the day.

I also made a little overview video of the mod here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5R7ti_FMZ4

Let me know what you think! 
@Mezmorki 
Enjoyed that, thanks! 
Thanks For Watching 
We had a nice little romp on Utressor + Shady :) 
Hey There 
How's everyone doing? These past weeks have been disappointing and intense but on the other hand, it's great to see so much "therapeutic" creativity being done in the community these past few weeks.

Wondering how everyone is holding up and interested in hearing about the good things in your lives.

I'll go first. We've instituted mandatory family nights 3 nights a week in our home. Mostly board games (Ticket to Ride!) and watching what we call "retro" Survivor starting way back with season 1.

I hope you'll share what's keeping you all sane in these difficult days. 
+1 
I've always been solitary and a bit insane, but also surrounded by people. So my life hasn't change much - just trying to control the id.

I was watching a lot of standup on Netflix, there are some gems, and a lot of nots.

Family wise (especially useful as an expat) we've been doing a quiz every Sunday - whichever team loses does the quiz for the next week. General knowledge, pop culture, science, geography, video games (because we lost the weekend before) - simple but fun. Reason to do a Zoom call basically.

I think the one most affected in my house is my son of 3. Very kinetic and clever, and wants to do stuff but doesn't have the means to understand or express why he can't, yet.

Yeah, he's driving us nuts.

In my house we're six, so kind of privileged in the quarantine. Me and my wife have been WFH for two months and minimum is until September. I've got workmates with very little space and children of a similar age. They're putting a brave face on it.

In the same category some who have no family in the country where we are and I have to somehow guide them through it.

What I've arrived at is that we need to be solid. Dependable. This particular strain will take years to solve. From there, we're all looking at our own personal crystal ball, mired by opinion and despair/hope - trying to predict the future.

All we can do in the meantime is stay strong. 
Sane? 
Aye right.

I painted stuff: http://teamshambler.blogspot.com

And played Jedi Fallen Order, Metro Exodus, and Black Mesa during lockdown.

There wasn't much sanity going on tho! 
Nice Paint Job! 
Do you do commissions? Somewhere in my mom's house I have an old wizard figure that I never finished. 
'rona 
I'm in the mass gathering festival biz so obviously i got hit with both barrels of this corona craziness.

spent the time cataloguing my comedically large teenage warhams collection, and actually adding to it for reasons that are known only to myself and my inner demons that prey on my weaknesses, oh and also making a fair wallop of content for untitled indie action adventure game pet project that will never be finished/released. 
Generic: 
I haven't yet but I am open to the idea.... 
Quake DM Map Tour Video Series 
Well - in my extra time I've started to make a series of youtube vidoes that each feature a custom quake DM map. I talk a bit about the map and then demonstrate the gameplay in a quick bot match.

Linky:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOeqzWT2GQIdLvMnRsPJvXSa6atgFQLux

Check it out, let me know what you think, etc. Been a fun side project. cheers! 
Celery Phase 
I wish I could be sated but I cannot get enough of the level designs. 
Re: Quake DM Map Tour Video Series 
I'm happy to see more attention and "content" on MP maps! You're a good source for this sort of thing given your history.

I know you're still feeling out the balance for how much to talk before doing the example botmatch, and how much to talk while playing. Your most recent video is pretty good in that respect. Just my own personal taste would be even a bit more talking about poking around before playing, both for the benefit of the viewer and also so your talk-while-playing can just be spur-of-the-moment stuff rather than trying to hit important points.

Now there are a couple of obvious things in the videos that might be criticism lightning-rods so lemme get to that:

* Using a blinged-out Quake client. It's not too extreme though; I think the look of the map itself does still come through. And MP players usually mutilate their client in all sorts of ways in any case -- for review-type purposes I'd rather see this than the no-textures/hidden-viewweap/sprites-everywhere look. It's not my preference but it doesn't bother me except for some of the particle effects that are a bit out of place IMO.

* Using a rebalanced DM mod with runes and grappling hook and etc. IMO this is pretty much exactly in the spirit of Quake DM servers. :-) The only thing I would potentially gripe about is that I think a grappling hook kind of ruins DM, or at least obviates a lot of the distinctive characteristics of the different DM maps. But you're not using the grappling hook so OK!

I don't have much constructive criticism to add at the moment. I did wonder a bit if you could/should show an overhead view graphic -- for some maps this would be pretty instructive, for others maybe not so much.

Keep it up, I've popped you into the subscription list! 

BTW, "Joel B" is the artist formerly known as "Johnny Law". Moving some of my forum/chat accounts over to my real name and dropping that old nick. 

You' dropping the Law, Johnny! The 
Play Some Func_music For Func_spamprotection 

so, insideqc is really dead uh? 
@Shambler 
Let's talk when you are ready... 
Misc_ftl: 
seems like it, last posts were from 2019 

Well... InsideQC forum was down from November 2019 for few good months. It was back recently. It will take a while for people to realize it's back and start posting again. 
InsideQc 
Last edit I could make was transferring all tutorials to quaketastic. That was quiet a job from my mobile to screen shots, but I feel these tuts are treasure ware.
Now the front page is back, but all info is scrambled after that. 
Madfox 
The InsideQC tutorials are still online here: http://www.insideqc.com/qctut/#Misc

I've also grabbed that part of the site and the AI Cafe tutorials. Download them here. 

AI Cafe is so amazing. Sometimes I read it just for the nostalgia. 
One Ai _c Shake Again 
Thanks for the Ai Cafe files. Some I had already saved, but the site went offline faster than I expected. Just like that of Inside3d. The last months in 2019 I have been trying to get back my password, but there were too many spam bots. Too bad because there was a lot of useful information in the posts. At first it seemed that it was better? because I could get back to the start pages
and login again.
The tutorials I no longer got on the screen of my computer but on my mobile. So that's why I sent everything to quaktastic. 
Whao, Thanks. 
Guys, just wanted to step in and have a word. Recently saw four videos on YouTube (working the Roku stick FTW) about my last map Fort Ratsack. One I knew of, since Daz let me know about it, and I was obviously thrilled to see it. But I just recently saw three others and was truly flattered. One guy (recommended by Sock btw -- cheers, Simon) couldn't find one of the secrets, and I found that thoroughly entertaining. Anyways, late to the party I am, but thanks in any case. Moar to come... 
@Joel B - Map Series Thing 
Thanks for checking out the videos! I haven't done much streaming or recording so trying to get a handle on how to best do it. I did figure out settings to improve the YouTube image quality - so that's better already.

I like your suggestions regarding taking more time to talk about the map at the start and covering more of the details, layout, etc. I have an alias for noclip fly mode so I can zoom out of the level an show the overall layout. That's a good idea too.

For the bot match, I can configure my mod to turn off all the extras and just keep it as standard DM mode. You're right that runes, hook, etc. will mess with the balance of the map.

I also made a new little video about some DM compilation packs I'm putting together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55teHDGWmfE 

So, Quake turns 24 on Monday... 
Happy 24th Quake! 

Wondering how everyone is holding up and interested in hearing about the good things in your lives.

I've spent the quarantine doing engine coding. Now I've lost 6Kg and am helping my wife make chocolates for selling.

A coworker was diagnosed with covid19 and ran away from the hospital. He also told me he isn't wearing masks when taking the bus because he can't breathe with the mask on. I'm staying away from him, and thankfully I have a car to avoid mass transportation. 

So I just watched a video of Romero's Quake post mortem from last year (?) and there were two slides of a scanned document, containing the map order and general game progression from around January 1996.

Here they are (annotations mine, also sorry for bad resolution):

Shareware episode

Full version

Amongst many other really weird things in there, why is there mention of an ICBM launch site in E4M8? 
OTP: 
nice find.

Link to the timestamp where those images appear: https://youtu.be/aWREOgyPLt4?t=964

There are also a third image which is basically the final or near final episode order, though without end.bsp 
Worth Noting 
The third image comes after this intermediary step, but before the reshuffling of E3 happened in mid-to-late June 1996. 

also interesting that the record company forced them to use audio CD instead of mp3 format for the soundtrack.

While I appreciate that I have a lossless copy of the soundtrack, that would have made a big difference for modders if mp3 support was in vanilla quake. (Though, it might have been ripped out for the open source release? not sure how that could have gone.) 
To Specify. 
the reshuffling of E3

This was the map order 11 days before release:

E3M1
E3M2
E3M3
E3M7
E3M4
E3M6
(Secret) E3M5 
It was for the best. There would be no way for a 100Mhz 486 or Pentium to simultaneously decode a MP3 soundtrack and render the game. 

mankrip, good point, though I think Pentium was the min spec, but I had a 166MHz pentium at the time and still only achieved around 20 FPS, so even that spec probably couldn't handle decoding mp3 at the same time. 

The stated minimum specs were a 486 DX4 100MHz with a floating point coprocessor. But it ran like crap on those. 

ah interesting, I didn't know there were 486s with FPUs 

The truth about designing games about abusive relationships is that the goal is not to harm the abuser, it is to nurture him/her. Because your destinies are tied, so for you to prosper enough to escape, you must help the abuser to prosper too.

I am scared. 
Okay... 
are there any games that do this well? 
None 
I just got quake 1 going in windows 10 using quakespasm and it looks awesome. Trouble is I want to jump right out and play some sp stuff. started out with ad the arcane thing. I have trouble with mods. always used a launcher when I could but can't find one for 64 bit. I have tried and tried to install this but no matter what I do I get the basic quake home screen. I think I followed the instructions to the tee but not working. there is even a guy on youtube showing how and I still cant get it. I consider myself medium literate on computers but can't get this. 
Oi OTP 
Shadesmaster wants to add your SM189 map to Slayers Testament (that Doom2016+Eternal-in-Quake mod).

He'll do all conversions himself. (Q1-->Doom entities)

He just wants your permission. Is that fine? 
Lizard 
You can right click and drag the Quakespasm exe to your desktop and make a shortcut to it. Then you edit the shortcut as seen here: https://www.quaddicted.com/files/misc/Quake_customcommandlinewindows.gif

Here's another example with drakebeta as the mod and ryu1 as the map: https://imgur.com/Qi2aaSN

Good luck! 
Slayer's "i Made This" Testacle 

Madfox 
You just coined the phrase 'treasureware'!

At least for me :D 
Eh 
Also, I need a playtester. One who hates my stuff and prefers skill 1.

Email is in the profile :) 
Lizard 
Okay I will give it a try. Thanks 

why is there mention of an ICBM launch site in E4M8?

This one won't let me sleep at night still. 
Quake Alt Ending 
Was Hcmsp1 Never Posted Here? 
Just ran across this older Mazu map: https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/hcmsp1.html

It's a banger FYI. 
More On Ad Maps 
discovered if I drop the console while in the ad map start or any where ad I can type in a map and play it. weird that they don't just come up 
Quake Arcade Tournament Edition Gameplay 
Seeing as no one else had recorded footage, I've taken the time to record some single-player as well as multi-player gameplay of this peculiar port. Many thanks to Shamblernaut who provided me with the MEGA link with everything included.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTx4JAEzBPQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC-1ox671Gs 
Tip For Streamers 
I posted a tip for streamers on r/Quake that I wanted to post here. If you stream or record gameplay for YouTube please take a look.

In a nutshell, consider using gl_cshiftpercent 50 or 25 to make underwater sections easier to see for your audience.
Example image 
That's not DM7. The real DM7 is the one in the Nintendo 64 port of Quake, and its .map source is included in Romero's ID1 map sources release.

This deathmatch map you've recorded reminds me of one of the vanilla Quake 2 dm maps, because of the curved staircases against tall curved walls.

Really interesting stuff. 
more than reminding, it seems to me that it is a almost exact copy of Q2DM1, as even the items are at the same place. 

Townscaper is in Early Access:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1291340

Build quaint island towns with curvy streets. Build small hamlets, soaring cathedrals, canal networks, or sky cities on stilts. Block by block.

No goal. No real gameplay. Just plenty of building and plenty of beauty. That's it.

Townscaper is an experimental passion project. More of a toy than a game. Pick colors from the palette, plop down colored blocks of house on the irregular grid, and watch Townscaper's underlying algorithm automatically turn those blocks into cute little houses, arches, stairways, bridges and lush backyards, depending on their configuration.

3 posts not shown on this page because they were spam
First | Previous | Next | Last
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2020 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.