News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Coding Help
This is a counterpart to the "Mapping Help" thread. If you need help with QuakeC coding, or questions about how to do some engine modification, this is the place for you! We've got a few coders here on the forum and hopefully someone knows the answer.
First | Previous | Next | Last
Right, Uhm Wrong 
missile.origin = self.origin + v_forward * 8 + v_right * -16 + '0 0 24';
returns a launcher that shoots from the launching point left above the player.

missile.origin = self.origin + v_forward * 8 + v_right * -16 + v_up * 16;
returns a missile that explodes left of the player.

I'm thinking I'm changing the end point of the missile hitting the player. It launches from the right point, but it ends up blind. Also the negative parm comes out strange. It's not left handed? 
Try 
In TermHome,
dir = normalize(vtemp - self.origin);

Maybe. 
Well 
I used the enforcer_laser methode to launch the missile.
This way it is the simpelest way to compile for the wanted use.
The code was from the Orb, and I had a hard job on coding the weapon.

Thanks for the hints!
They were helpfull. 
@metlslime 
Rubicon 2 question:

You have IT_NO_WEAPON replacing IT_EXTRA_WEAPON in the code. However, I'm not sure how to implement this in a map. Not seeing a spawnflag or other way to enable it. 
Trace Volume? 
Is there a way to trace a volume similar to traceline? I need to find a volume that is not occupied by players or monsters of any size. maybe something like traceline? 
@Shanjaq 
any decent engine will have a tracebox builtin for things like that.

failing that, you can also exploit quirks of droptofloor or walkmove(typically with FL_FLY?), but these are much more limited and may have additional engine-specific quirks that break your mod (at least in DP). 
Tracebox 
Something I wrote before on how you might write a tracebox function using the method Spike suggests. His caveats stand

http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=60097&start=245&end=246 
Dumptruck: 
Spawning with no weapons works but was never used in any of the maps so I didn't finish the part where an info player start can opt in to it. Right now it's just hard coded so to only happen if mapmame == test.bsp

So you would have to make some quakec change to complete the feature, or just change the hard coded string it's looking for -- or name your map test.bsp :) 

Is there any way to attach colored lights to projectiles or explosions via QC?

I would like to make the vore's ball glow with a purple light, make the tarbaby's explosion blue, this sort of thing...

I'm using quakespasm-spiked btw. 
Qss 
a trail particle effect with 'lightrgb' and 'lightradius' set should be able to provide coloured dynamic lights, but it might only be with flashblends. I don't think I actually got around to testing it properly.

point effects will additionally need lighttime, and probably want at least one of lightrgbfade+lightradiusfade.

there are additional light properties, but those are specific to rtlights, which are definitely not supported in qss. 
@Spike 
Thanks! I'll try that =D 

What's the most reliable way to detect if the player is on a slippery slope (mostly vertical angle)? I'm using QuakeSpasm-Spiked. 
Slippery Slope 
tracebox(self.origin, self.mins, self.maxs, self.origin-'0 0 1', TRUE, self);
if (trace_fraction < 1 && trace_plane_normal_z < 0.7)
surfaceangleissteeperthanabout45degrees();

you could instead use traceline, but it would not match the player's physics so well. 

Thanks, but the most difficult thing about it is detecting the exact moment when the player touches/lands on the slope. AFAIK the engine doesn't set FL_ONGROUND for it, and assigning .touch functions to players doesn't work properly. 

Is there a way to achieve something similar to DP's (and Makaqu's) .glow_size in QSS, through QC?

More specifically, negative dynamic lighting with custom radius and intensity, tied to an entity.

I've seen some ways to customize lighting effects in qsextensions.qc, but there's no way to change their properties and make them move around dynamically.

Also, I would like such negative lights to affect only BSP models, without affecting MDL, SPR and particles. 
Out Of The Blue 
moving lights hack, maybe? 
Can't Jump When On Top Of Monsters/explo Boxes 
There was some QuakeC fix posted here, but I can't find it. Can someone repost the fix? 
@Six-Shoota 
C0burn 
10x 
TIL... 
... that the source code of Quake has a 256*5 char static array whose contents, literally, are:

Do you guys know if this particular array (localmodels) has survived in any of the modern engines, somehow? 
Cl.viewent - Where Is It Loaded? 
Awfully sorry to bring this up, but I have had no luck doing it myself. Where exactly is cl.viewent assigned a specific value? Where in the code do you tell the client which gun model to use? I can´t find any direct assignments to the field, and (unless I´m doing something wrong) I can´t also find a place where the whole cl struct is being copied off somewhere else.

Do you guys know where in the source is cl.viewent being (directly or indirectly) assigned to? 
Bump 
Someone help Izhido out here.

Also I still request this thread be stickied to make it more useful. 
@Izhido 
Quick search indicates that it's happening in V_CalcRefdef() and V_CalcIntermissionRefdef(), both in view.c.

It may or may not be obvious but this represents weapon from the POV of the player and is set based on the client state structure (cl.stats).

The reason "find references" (which you probably used) didn't show you any results is that a pointer to cl.viewent is taken in the V_CalcRefdef() body (view = &cl.viewent;) and later assignments are done on the temporary pointer (e.g. view->model = cl.model_precache[cl.stats[STAT_WEAPON]];
mentioned above).

Hope this is the answer you were looking for. Non-vanilla engines perform some additional operations on cl.viewent but I haven't seen any other model assignment logic in QS so I assume these are the only two places where it happens.

HTH 
@Thulsa - Thank You! 
It *did* help. Looks like I need to be way more careful about variable assignments in there for future changes. 
Hey 
I made a monster.A copy of RMQ's flayn monster code,but edited heavily to fit in with regular quake.
I removed the reanimation code,torso splitting code and some functions that weren't in the file.

Now the thing is,I precached the models and I even have them in my progs folder for the mod.
In the requiem engine, "create monster_flayn" works,but and invisible monster spawns.

QSS and MarkV don't even start the e1m1 ENT file with the monster_flayn that replaced all monster_army.

Should I rewrite the code?

Am using progs_dump_devkit_v110, vanilla dump works fine but my mod doesn't load e1m1.ent with the new monster 

Hello, In the Chasm thread, Madfox said he had some trouble getting infighting between Chasm monsters to work. Can somebody with experience in that area help?

The thread is here:
http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61776&start=4 
Walk_monster_start 
The main factor is that I used most qc from the quake entities. I have no trouble with the infight, as quake entities usual have that in commen.

When I try to target a monster to a path_corner the game stops with a walk_monster_start error.
A bit strange as the spider just follows its path without problem, and it is the same kind of imported entity.

Also I used a subroutine into the stand function.
This is a hack I found to interfere with the stand function. The Mong soldier looks around, and while he is watching aside it won't attack.
For some reason Faust, who has the same stand function, ony uses half of the frames. It is as if some arithmic cuts out the other half.

void() faust_stand11 =[ $stand11, faust_stand12 ] {ai_stand();};

//CLIP HERE
//HERE IS THE ROUND CODE:

void() faust_round1 =[ $round1, faust_round2 ] {};

void() faust_round24 =[ $round24, faust_stand13 ] {};

//END ROUND CODE

void() faust_stand12 =[ $stand12, faust_check ] {ai_stand();};

// faust_check IS CALLED IN faust_stand12, TO DETERMINE IF HE'LL STAND OR ROUND.
void() faust_check =
{
ai_stand();
if (random() <0.25)
faust_stand12 ();
else
faust_round1 ();
};
//end strat_check
// CLIP HERE...

In game it uses only untill frame round12, and then switches back to stand13. 
Donkey 
Chasm monsters only have a stand and run function.
So asking them to walk is like asking for a high Q.
Fetched a walk pose and all is well. 
That Is.., 
what is it when one entity starts an infight with another one
and the attacked one doesn't respond? 

why do you need to ask Chasm monsters to walk? just have them run Patrol. 
Walk_monster_start 
They need the order of th_stand, th_walk and th_run, otherwide the error walk_monster_start occurs in monster.qc. 

so the Chasm monsters can still Patrol, but they use their run function? 
Animated Poses 
As soon as they end their walk function they use run for chasing.
Most chasm entities have no walk function, spider even has no stand function. In Chasm it waits aside in walk pose. 
Compiling Progs.dat - Very Strange Bug In-game 
Hello everybody

Here it the strange thing...

If compiling an original, unchanged Source Code from Abyss of Pandemonium v2.0 using FTEQCCGUI.exe
there is an ammo counter bug occurs while switching weapons after shhoting.

For example if type "impulse 9" and start shooting from Nailgun, for instance from 200 nails to 188 and then switch to Super Nailgun you will see 189 nails in ammo instead of 188!

If you shoot from Super Nailgun from 188 nails to 182 for example and then switch to Nailgun, you will see 184 nails in your ammo counter instead of 182!

So cycling forward after shooting adds 1 piece of ammo to the weapons which share the same ammo type with the previous one and cycling backwards adds 2 pieces of ammo to the weapons which share the same ammo type with the previous one.

Same problem goes to shotgun weapons, lightning, and rocket/grenade launchers.

Could you guys tell me what may cause this proble and how to eliminate it? 

no idea, but some things to check:

does the big ammo counter on the HUD match the values of the 4 small ammo counts? if not, it may be a problem with setting self.currentammo

otherwise, there are very few places where things like self.nails, self.shells, etc. are set, at least in vanilla code -- but maybe AOP adds some weird new code that has a bug. In that case, search for something like ".ammo_nails =" and see what you can find that looks suspicious 
It's Fixed 
As Seven from QuakeOne.com said

"It happened during decompilation of the original source.
As you know, the AoP progs.dat was reverse engineered !
FrikQCC´s decompiler made some bad decisions, so..."

He provided me with the "cleaned" source code and now I'm making the patch for AOP v2.0 to make it more enjoyable (like vanilla) Quake.

Thinking of releasing it here, when I'm finished with this. 
Talking Player... 
Hey everyone! Sorry for the dumb question but is this the right place to post regarding QC coding help?

If it is, here's my question:

I've been trying to work out what might be the best way to add more vocalization for the player. Like adding some smack talk (i.e. Duke Nukem). One way I was thinking might be an inverted obituary function? But not entirely sure tbh, is there a better way of doing this? Point in the right direction? 
Pre-Recorded Obituary 
Hi MrC. I'd say you were along the right lines with looking at the obituary function. In my view the place to start is the function which calls the obituary function, which is a function called Killed in combat.qc.

If you look at the function, there's a block which starts

if (self.flags & FL_MONSTER)

I'd add a bit of code inside that block:

if (attacker.classname == "player")
    PlayerRemarkOnKill(attacker, self);

Then your PlayerRemarkOnKill function looks like:

void(entity player, entity monster) PlayerRemarkOnKill =
{

};

I'll leave you to play around with what you actually want to do with the remarks. Because the monster entity is passed to the function, you have the option of playing lines that are specific to a particular enemy type. 

Whoa, thanks Preach! Just got it all added and it works perfectly. And good call with checking classnames for specific commentary :) 
QC Frame Function Generator 
Ok, so onto my next conquest... I was curious about frame functions and if there were any little tools out there for generating QC frame functions? I mean, not to sound lazy or anything.

I know there are alternative methods like framegroups but how about calling sounds etc... at specific frames when using this method?

Thanks again and sorry if this is such a basic question, still learning my way around. 
FTE Particles On Sky Boxes... 
(NOTE: Posting here because "getsurfacenearpoint" and "surface" keywords show up in this thread more than anywhere else on the web)

Goal: Specify FTE particles when entity touches the sky on any quake 1 maps inlcuding mission packs.

Background: As we know, the vanilla "pointcontents(self.origin) == CONTENT_SKY" code doesn't work as intended on many original maps. Fortunately, getsurfacenearpoint in FTE works great for getting surface texture names. I've used it for coding quakec entities (bullets, missles, etc) to fly through the sky without exploding or leaving decals. However, I can greatly simplify the code if someone could tell me how to use FTEQW's "clippeddecal" particle parameter.

Question: The help for clippeddecal states, "The two extra args allow you to spawn these decals ONLY on surfaces with matching surfaceflags." What surfaceflags are recognised, and where are they called from? Any examples? FWIW, using getsurfacenearpoint & getsurfacetexture gives "sky1" on original mission maps. 
FTE Particles On Sky Boxes... Exemplar Video 
Here's an exemplar video showing the Lava Nails flying across the sky, from my question above. All effects are FTE particles, except for the bullets through the sky which I had to code in quakec. So, to eliminate the QuakeC coding, I would really like to know if FTE's clippeddecal surfaceflags can be used instead??? 
Why Is There Not A Defrag Mod In Quake 1? 
What are the major differences between the Q1 engine and the Q3 engine?

Are there any differences in physics between vanilla quake 3 and the defrag mod?

Are the certain limitations in the quake 1 engine? 

the QdQstats mod is kind of like that, it has built in timers for speedrunners. I don't know enough about the dfrag mod to answer more. 
How To Do Func_door From Scratch 
Unfortuantely all qc documentation there is, is spread all over the net. Any leads?

btw, long time no see ^^ 
Reimplementation Query 
Hi wakey. I haven't seen a re-implementation of func_door before, and I can think of a few reasons why. Firstly, the code for the func_door is one of the more complex parts of standard Quake, it's certainly a longer .qc file than any of the other brush objects (in fact, it's longer than misc.qc which contains definitions of dozens of different classes). Aside from doing lots of stuff, the bits about e.g. linking doors are complex in themselves.

Often when writing a mod, a good degree of compatibility with existing maps is desirable. It would be tough to ensure the rewritten code had that compatibility - remember that the func_door is a really flexible entity, often used to create platforms and other moving objects. Trying to remain compatible with the core function is one thing, staying compatible with all the unusual use cases is harder.

Lastly, it's worth pointing out that some of the standard functionality of a func_door depends on "library functions" like SUB_CalcMove and SUB_UseTargets. Can a re-implementation assume those still exist, or should it also code those functions from scratch?

Given all of that, I hope you don't mind me asking first why you want to write func_door from scratch? If it was for a Total Conversion where you create a 2D platformer in Quake, then a lot of the concerns above go away, your mod only runs on the maps you make for it, so compatibility isn't an issue. If it's for a more standard Quake mod I worry that it's a lot of writing and testing code for a benefit I can't yet see... 
Clarification: 
Yes, total conversion.(though, not a 2D platformer).

Everything else is already coded from scratch, more or less.(roughly following Ender's "quake from scratch" tutorials, to get basic functionality up and running)

The standard door.qc files all have dependencies that are not implemented yet, thus I can't just drop them in like that.

Lastly, as stated by my colleague, the documentation of the DarkPlaces engine is severely lacking(fragmented at best), when compared to the engines I'm used to (e.g. Unity, Godot, or eaven UE4). 
Scratch Tutorials 
The best way for you to get working doors is to add doors.qc, and then fix all the compile errors by pasting the missing functions into the top of doors.qc. Serious advice.

To expand on that a bit: the scratch tutorials are great at what they do. They look at the duties QuakeC has to perform - the things that it's basically impossible to do without, and perform the simplest possible thing to accomplish those duties. It's hard to fit doors into that framework; they aren't essential, and it's unclear what the simplest version of a door is.

The other problem actually really ties into what you're saying about the infrastructure being missing. If you were writing the simplest possible implementation of doors, it's likely you could write a reduced version SUB_CalcMove which does just enough for the doors to function. But that short-sightedness would come back to bite you when you decide later to add trains. It's a catch-22 for the scratch tutorial writer, the simpler you make the current tutorial, the worse a basis for building on you've created.

The thing with infrastructure is that how much of it you need really depends on what your big picture goals for the TC are. If you're only going to include doors in two highly controlled places in your entire game, you probably need less infrastructure that standard Quake - just hard code everything into the mod! On the other hand if you're creating a mappers toolkit complete with detailed customisation of the door acceleration profile, you probably need to build a lot more! 
Thank You Very Much 
it's appreciated, Preach :)

As far as i could get it, the0programmer has chosen an mixed approach, between using standart doors.qc and his own code. Works like a charm.

Now we have yet another challenge to come over: How do ssqc and csqc communicate?
He told me something of "hacks" with stuffcmd and cvar's, now i was asking myself if that is the standart approach or if there is another way?

Basically he wants to grab information of a csqc entity for use in ssqc. 
CSQC 
Although I've never written anything in CSQC, I'd start with getting to grips with https://quakewiki.org/wiki/EXT_CSQC
There's a section on sending data to the client and it seems like those methods would be better than stuffcmd.

There's also a worked tutorial at
https://web.archive.org/web/20080828083732/http://qexpo.tastyspleen.net/booth.php?id=165&page=317 
Hexen 2 Cutscene Help Needed 
Hello everybody,

I don't know whether the title of this thread is correct.
I currently work on an Hexen II project where I'd like to put some RPG sequences the way Heretic II does.

That is:

1. the view switches to a third person view thanks to a camera_remote (a handy thing we have in H2 which does basically the same as the intermission view, but triggerable mid-map)

2. the view represents the player facing a monster and they interact by talking (with centerprints) or doing something (like one killing the other or running away) by triggering the corresponding animations on the models.

3. the view returns to the player and the adventure goes on.

Has everyone ever tried to do that (would it be thanks to hack or programming)? Succeeded? How?

Thank you in advance for your insights! :-) 
CCK 
Although HexenII is more advanced then Quake there is a mod called Visions, which has a Capture Camera Kit.

It has about everything you mentioned, but supports only QuakeI. Maybe with a bit tweaking you could port it to HexenII? 

@madfox Sounds promising! Any idea where I could find it?

Yet, just to be sure there is no misunderstanding, because English is not my mother tongue and it's sometimes hard for me to be clear: my actual problem is not the 1. and 3. above because triggered cameras are a native feature in Hexen II.

The real challenge is to tell monsters and the player how to behave during such cutting scenes: tell them to run, to stand idle, to jump or whatever. What I want to do is puppet mastering. Never mind whether it is the actual monsters and player acting in front of the camera or just fake entities reusing their mdl. 
Scripts 
I used this Camera scene Construction Kit in a map to explain a coming event in the game.
It works with scripts from the moment the trigger_camera is touched. The player changes into a moveless point, while the entities can be turned on/off hostile attacking.

There is no way to tell what entities will do, although a func_train or path_info can be used as well as textures on screen.

You can look at it at the map of DarinMcneil visions 

madfox... great link... I never knew about this! One other camera system can be found in the custents mod but it's a bit different because it's a security camera but there are controllable actors in the mod as well. 

Thank you so much for those exciting links! Hope I'll be able to do something nice from it. :-)
You'll hear about it anyway. ;-) 
Demo Examples 
Inky, in the progs tricks you were interested in how demos work. There used to be something of a scene for making Quake demos, especially in the dial-up era of the internet when youtube didn't exist. I was only an interested observer, but if you were interested in finding out more a good place to start would be reading about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seal_of_Nehahra

In particular, if you look at the sources there are a couple of interviews archived from machinima.com which go into some detail as to what combination of engine tools, mod-making and live recording were used to produce the demos. 

Dear Preach,

At reading your last paragraph, demos don't seem to be easy stuff and my guess is that anyway I would probably not be able to trigger one mid-game and go back to the action afterwards, like with camera stuff exemplified in the map by Darin Mcneil mentioned above. So learning how to make demos would probably be putting things too far away from actual mapping which I still keep on learning and which already takes me days and days (and days...)

Yet I feel extremely honored by your personalized attention. My project will anyway owe a lot to your map hacks and advice, for sure! Thank you so much for that and for all what you bring to the community, that's so precious for newbies like me! Sorry I didn't notice your kind message sooner (is there a way to be automatically notified when someone posts after you on a thread?) 
Demo 
I was thinking of pre- or post-level demo cutscenes when I mentioned it (zerstörer is another good example of doing that). In principle though, you could try the following to get a mid-game cutscene from a demo:

1) Save the game to a fixed filename like 'save interdemo.sav' using stuffcmd
2) Follow that with a command to load the demo 'playdemo cutsc001.dem'
3) insert a stuffcmd into the last frame of the demo which runs 'load interdemo.sav' to resume.

Wouldn't work in co-op, and it wouldn't be seamless because the engine would reload the map, but it's an interesting approach. Certainly would shift the burden from perfectly scripting the cutscene in QC to editing a demo. I suspect you can get good results with less effort through the latter... 

Wow, that's tricky! :-)

The cutscenes I have in mind are mainly dialogs with non playing characters (that is non agressive monsters who give pieces of information to the hero thanks to a dialog, show him a passage, etc.) Could a demo do that? That would save a lot of scripting for sure. 
Custents 
I'd say that's probably simple enough that you could avoid the demo route. Have you looked at the in-map cutscenes you can do with the custents mod? They might be enough for your purposes. If you had 5-6 entities interacting in a scene, each with two or three things to do, and a need for some kind of camera movement, a demo is going to be more manageable. But there's overhead to setting up demos as well, and that's not worth incurring if the action is short and simple. 
What Makes A Monster Go Infight? 
I'm converting some models and have come to strange point one of them resists to go infight.
It keeps on tracing the player untill it is killed.

Strange enough a hit by another monster just makes it to one counter attack, but then it continues the player.
If another monster gets hurt, it starts infight untill the lame one gets killed.

All the others kill eachother infight, so I can't find a trace to where this infight command is to be found. 
Madfox 
in T_Damage, look for self.enemy = attacker;

If your enemies only do one counter attack and then return to attacking the player, something in your code must be setting self.enemy back to the player. 

I can't find self.enemy = attacker; anywhere.

The macro of a grunt is identical to the enforcer.
What happens is that the enforcer will have infight with the grunt.
Grunt with the same qc code won't infight, and leaves after one attack.

Only thing I can make of is that two enforcers won't attack eachother. 
Ie 
the qc of a grunt is the enforcer.qc. 

I can't find self.enemy = attacker; anywhere.

That would explain why there's no infighting then. Monsters attack their current enemy. So if the enemy is never changed to be their most recent attacker, they won't attack back.

Note that in T_Damage, in standard quake, there is an exception for "soldiers" (e.g. grunts) to allow them to fight each other. Every other class will not fight monsters of the same class. 
Grm... 
That explains a bit of the cause.
I have this T_Damage (self.enemy, self, self, ldmg);

The perticular monster is called monster_grunt, while quake uses monster_army.
Could it miss the statement soldier, not seeing a monster_ grunt for a monster_army? 

#2779 Found It. 
I gave it a Grunt_Check_Attack in Fight.qc.
For most other monsters it is an oppertunity to devide their attacks on long and short range. In this case it won't work for Grunt.
Deleting the files in fight.qc makes it infight again.

Not really clear to me why but it works. 
Sniper Code 
Hello all :-)

I am desperately trying to find what piece of code decides whether a monster is too far away to see the player or not.
Indeed I'd like to implement a flag to enhance some lesser baddies and make them excellent snipers never mind the distance.
Any idea please?

Thanks a lot in advance! :-) 
Fight.qc 
Attitudes of monsters go to the fight.qc where they are specified to attack on range, distance or default.

So I think your monster should have an anouncement in the fight.qc.

The SoldierCheckAttack has the code to make the knight decide to make a RANGE_FAR, RANGE_MID or RANGE_NEAR attack. 
Would I Get Away With This? 
combat.qc line 189:
// get mad unless of the same class (except for soldiers)
if (self != attacker && attacker != self.enemy)
{
if ( (self.classname != attacker.classname)
|| (self.classname == "monster_army" ) )

|| (self.classname == "monster_grunt" ) ) //
{
if (self.enemy.classname == "player")
self.oldenemy = self.enemy;
self.enemy = attacker;
FoundTarget ();
}

For Clearance 
As I compile the progs I don't see any difference in the behaviour of the grunt, so maybe I overviewed a statement. It keeps acting for black sheep and ignores infight. 
Monster_grunt 
Hi madfox,

That's the correct piece of code to change, did you keep it all exactly the same apart from changing monster_army to monster_grunt?

If so, you might need to add some dprint lines in there to try and work out whether the code is running or not when the grunts shoot each other, what classname they have when they enter this section of code, etc... 
Never Try To Beat A Twin 
Thanks for your attention, Preach. Before I turn into one.

I wondered if I could place the statement under the other one, expecting it would work. I guess not, as army will fight a grunt, but grunt won't fight army, nor eachother.

I can hardly believe this error is so consistent. All other monsters I converted have no porblem with infight. For this one I even made all frames and macro the same, but it still excists.

In this file is a try out, don't mind the strange stand / walk scene. It is a rare coinscidence with the same frame group, but altered runout.

jackpotgrunt 
Dprint 
How do I place these dprint lines?
Is there a console argument or do I set these statements in the qc? 
In Qc 
it's void dprint (string text).
Plus you need to set the cvar developer to 1. 
Uh.., 
ai.qc defs or elsewhere? 
To Be Honest 
i am guessing myself, looked it up once for someone who was new to qc.
In ai.qc there should be an commented out example in t_movetarget, line 147.

It reads dprint //("t_movetarget\n");.
Hope that helps somewhat. 
Right 
Thanks for the hint! 
Seeing Double 
Had a look at your zip madfox. The way you formatted your original post, I thought you had deleted the old code and put your new code. But in fact you've left both bits of code in, so it's doing both checks, one after the other. If I add some brackets to make it clearer what's happening:

if (self != attacker && attacker != self.enemy)
{
|| (self.classname == "monster_army" ) )
{
|| (self.classname == "monster_grunt" ) ) // I hope it madfoxed
{
if (self.enemy.classname == "player")
self.oldenemy = self.enemy;
self.enemy = attacker;
FoundTarget ();
}
}
}

The outside check only allows monster_army to fight with monster_army, and the inner check only allows monster_grunt to fight with monster_grunt. No monster can be both things at once, so it always fails.

Either go back to the original code and replace monster_army with monster_grunt, or create a proper three way check:

|| (self.classname == "monster_army" )
|| (self.classname == "monster_grunt" ) )

Black Sheep 
I changed the code for the two monsters, but I fear there is something else going on. The Quake soldier is used as monster_army but there is also a soldier.qc and a grunt.qc.

For sake of a double classname grunt somewhere I changed the montgrunt to mong. Although all parms are thay direction there is a behaviour of a army monster with infight and a mong soldier that gives one counter attack.

I deketed the army in combat for just a mong fighter but it will hardly reackt. Could it be that its painframes are too long, as every time it is attack it looks as if ther is a freeze moment before it just start goosing the player. 
[Hexen II] AC Calculation 
Hello,

Not sure this is the right place for such a question, I beg you pardon in advance if not.

I am currently mapping for Hexen II and my question is extremely specific to that game. H2 has different kinds of "armor" items the player can grab, each absorbing a specific percentage of damage (actually depending on the player class, the hc code is pretty clear about how it works).

What I don't understand is the "AC" counter displayed in the HUD. This counter is incremented by a certain number of points when an armor item is picked up, but that number doesn't seem to be related to the actual percentage of damage the item can take. It is very puzzling and I have not been able this far to figure out how the HUD counter works.

Is there any chance one of you might have an idea about that???

Thank you so much in advance! :-) 
[Hexen II] AC Calculation: Answer 
Just in case anyone would care, I got my answer here:
https://heretic.fandom.com/wiki/Thread:4326 
Trenchbroom Commandline 
Hello,

Like some of you start to know, I map for Hexen II whose entities are sometimes tricky and not as well documented and known as Quake's ones.

That's why I learn a lot from Raven's original maps. The recurring type of question I have been asked to myself is "What is this spawnflag value for? How do they use it in vanilla H2?"

And basically I was launching a textual search on the entire set of .map files by Raven for all the occurrences of the given classname and inspected them one by one until I found one whose spawnflags value contained the desired power of 2 (which is not an easy calculation to work out in one's head). Sounds stupid and monstrously time consuming? It was!

I'm pretty sure you will laugh at me and explain that a far easier solution was available already but well, today I developed my own advanced multi-criteria search tool. It supports regexes and can filter entities by classname, property name and property value (which is searched among powers of 2 if needed). Each matching entity is returned with also its targetname and x y z position within the map.

The cherry on top of the cake would now be that by clicking on a result, Trenchbroom opens the map and moves the camera directly on the entity. Do you know of any command line parameter in Trenchbroom allowing such a thing?

(Sorry my posts are always more verbose than strictly necessary)

Thank you very much in advance! 

A cherry on top of the cherry on top of the cake would even be a command line parameter to open a map with TB and automatically load a pts file in the same action: usual shortcuts to follow the "pts line" would allow to go from one search result to the next instead... 
Hmmm 
Worldcraft had a very nice feature called... entity report, I think.

Essentially it listed all entities and allowed you to filter the list by value. It also had basic error checking.

Ideally this would be a per-game thing, allowing the users to edit a .txt file or something to make new error checking parameters.

It's tempting to go into TB dev and help... 
Ressurect/respawn Player In Singleplayer 
Hello again, I guess, this is proper forum to ask (I hope).

In doom forks there is often /budha mode (never have player health go below 1) and /resurrect command (that revives dead player in the spot they died).

During my years of dooming I started using those when quickly analyzing mod maps or doing my own tampering.

For me, they are much better suited for testing than /god.

I am curious about these things:

1. both of these (budha, resurrect) should be attainable with custom modded progs.dat, I believe. Am I right? Is there anything specific in C parts of engines to prevent that (given COOP this should work even with monsters)?

2. can I somehow resurrect with vanilla SP progs.dat? Using `/give h 100` will make my dead player "stand-up", but they cannot move and jump will immediately end level. Am I missing something or this is un-doable in vanilla? 

I'm fairly sure that's un-doable in vanilla.

you can absolutely mod progs.dat to do this though 

here is a quick and dirty proof of concept, no options just respawn in situ with 100 life

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8sztids7x3xcyi/resurrect.zip?dl=0 

Rubicon 2 has a resurrection cheat — impulse 666. You could look at that code. 
Really Helpful 
Thank you guys this is awesome! 
MapSearch & Inky's Hexen II Mapping Corner 
Hello everybody,

I answer to my own post #2802...
As said, I developed a very handy and powerful command line tool (supporting regexes and spawnflags search) to investigate map files and understand better how those at Raven & iD Software made their maps to learn from their example.

I'd be more than happy if it can be useful to some of you as it was for me : http://earthday.free.fr/Inkys-Hexen-II-Mapping-Corner/MapSearch.html

I would like to take the opportunity to also introduce my newly born website 'Inky's Hexen II Mapping Corner' which has the ambition of becoming a reference for those mapping for Hexen II. Anybody's advice or contribution to make the site grow faster and improve in quality would be most welcome. :-)
Feel also free to backlink it, if you like it, to make it gain some audience and help the small Hexen II mapping community to reinforce its network.

Last, a more direct request to you: has anybody out there the math and programming skills to help me with finding the 'x y z' position of a brush's center of gravity, after the brush definition stored in a map file???

Thank you in advance for your feedback! :) 
QuakeC NOOb Needs Help 
Hello all - long time!

I'm working on a server mod that is a mashup of a few different things:

- Reincarnation base map (old server DM mod from Gen and others)
- Added FrikBots
- Added Map Rotation
- Added Multi-skin support

I had a few things I'd like to try and clean up and desperately need some QC help as I have little clue with that I'm doing.

Here's the things I want to achieve:

#1 - Add custom skins to bots

I have custom player skins working for players (you can cycle through up to 32 skins attached to the player model). FrikBots has 16 different bot profiles, and I'd like set each different bot to use one of the custom skins. How can this be done (like what Omicron Bots did)?

I tried this, but it doesn't work:

{
self.b_pants = 11;
self.b_shirt = 0;
return "Vincent";
self.skin = 1;
}

Let's take one question at a time. Any idea how I can assign skins to the bots? 
Taking The First Exit 
Hi Mezmorki. On the third line of your code you have

return "Vincent";

The return statement does two things. One is that it specifies the value which will be handed back to the code calling this function. But the other is that it ends the function and returns the value immediately. The code on line 4 which sets the skin is correct, but it never runs because the function exits on line 3.

If you swap the order of those two lines it should start working, but let us know if it doesn't... 
That Worked! 
Awesome - thanks for the help! It all worked fine.

Okay next topic. When players respawn a centerprint message pops up letting them know what skin they have active. I'd like to try and switch this message to an sprint (so it prints in the upper left corner instead of the center).

Here's the code:

// GeN >

player_stand1 ();

if (deathmatch)
{
makevectors(self.angles);
spawn_tfog (self.origin + v_forward*20);
}

spawn_tdeath (self.origin, self);

if((teamplay || (deathmatch & D_HH)) && (self.genteam))
SetTeam(self, self.genteam);

// *************************************************************************
// ** **
// ** M U L T I S K I N 1.1 (start) **
// ** **

if (self.skin == 0) centerprint(self, "Respawning as... Quakeguy"); else
if (self.skin == 1) centerprint(self, "Respawning as... Doomguy"); else
if (self.skin == 2) centerprint(self, "Respawning as... Arnold the Terminator"); else
if (self.skin == 3) centerprint(self, "Respawning as... Arnold the Conan (4)");

//LINES REPEAT FOR ALL 32 SKINS...

// ** **
// ** M U L T I S K I N 1.1 (end) **
// ** **

};

If I replace "centerprint" with "sprint" it compiles okay, but no messages ever appear.

Any ideas? 
Hmm 
I'd say check that you left the "self" part there - but you'll basically crash the whole server if you get that wrong when using sprint. Can you check to see if the message is getting logged in the console? Sometimes if there's a centerprint and a sprint happening at the same time, the one can wipe out the other. 

Not sure what you mean by "left the self part" in place or not.

A given line could look like this in how I have it:

if (self.skin == 0) sprint(self, "Respawning as... Quakeguy\n"); else

I know most other sprint commands end with "\n" in the line to return?

Could there be something with the timing of respawning triggers that results in a different handling for sprint versus centerprint?

Seems like maybe I;m missing something obvious. 
Hmmm 
The message is getting printed to the console if I have the console open when I die. 
Centerprint 
You got the self part right, I was worried you might have done something like

if (self.skin == 0) sprint("Respawning as... Quakeguy\n"); else

Is the change to sprint because you are centerprinting something else at the same time? If so, try disabling that for a moment and see if the sprint starts working. 
Dang Engine Issue 
turns out it was a quake engine issue of some sort. I was running and older version of qrack and I tried out a different engine and it worked. Updated Qrack and now it works in that too. :) 
Trigger_changemusic + Saves 
Alright. Thanks to Johnny Lew I have a trigger_changemusic in progs_dump however, I have no idea how to get this to work with savegames. Any guidance?

//thanks to Johnny Lew via changemusic.rar --dumptruck_ds

void() trigger_changemusic_touch =
{
if (!(other.flags & FL_CLIENT))
{
return;
}
if (!self.sounds)
{
objerror("ERROR: trigger_changemusic needs valid track number in sounds field");
return;
}
WriteByte(FL_SWIM, FL_MONSTER);
WriteByte(FL_SWIM, self.sounds);
WriteByte(FL_SWIM, self.sounds);
self.touch = SUB_Null;
self.nextthink = (time + 0.1);
self.think = SUB_Remove;
};

void() trigger_changemusic =
{
if (SUB_Inhibit ()) // new spawnflags for all entities -- iw
return;
InitTrigger();
self.touch = trigger_changemusic_touch;
};

@mezmorki 
con_logcenterprint 1 is the option to print centerprint messages to console. setting it to 0 obv turns that off.
;) 
Dumptruck: 
you mean, you want to remember which music track was playing and restore that when the savegame loads?

Check out rubicon 2 source code, the function LoadSaveGameCallback, the logic to call in StartFrame, and the special variable loadsavegamecallback_done -- this setup allows you to do any necessary work after loading a save game, such as re-triggering client side looping sound effects.

In theory you can save the desired music track in some variable, and then when the game is reloaded, check that variable and re-trigger the music in your own version of LoadSaveGameCallback. 
11 posts not shown on this page because they were spam
First | Previous | Next | Last
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2020 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.