News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Vondur + Czg = New Spq Map
You might remember I stuck many of my old map sources onto a page some time ago, in the hope that they wouldn't just be wasted time. Thankfully, my hopes came true.

Vondur picked up the remains of an old e1m1 remake I did, and decided it might be worthy of a polish. He didn't finish the map though, but handed it back to me so I could see what he was thinking about it. I made some new bits on it, and passed it back, and so on and so on, until today when we've got a finished map to show you all.

So yes, finally we ended up with a nice modern upgrade of the good old Slipgate Complex, which we have dubbed The Slipgate Duplex.

Screenshots and info:
http://vondur.net/maps.html
Vondur.net download:
http://vondur.net/maps_files/e1m1rmx.zip
Fileplanet download:
http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/planetquake/greyvoid/e1m1rmx.zip

Please enjoy and tell us what you think!
Sux 

As Certain Members 
of our lovely and dear little community would say...

OWN OWN OWN OWN
!@#!!!

old school meets new school, this is the definitive interpretive quake mappery, taking our nastalgia for the (g)olden days and refining it to a higher level

well done, fags 
O_o 
That was like some weird alternate universe. It felt strangely uncomfortable. 
Very Cool, A+ 
But I missed a secret... where did it go... 
Scrumptious! 
a delightful little map that had me trying to remember where all those secrets were in the original. loved every second of playing it and the aesthetic styles of both of you blended seamlessly. gorgeous! 
Request: 
If you could remake Castle of the Damned that would be awesome, that's my personal favorite level from Quake. 
Very Fun 
I liked it:)
what about remaking whole Quake? Or at least the first episode? 
Remaking Quake 
is a huge undertaking, because a) there are alot of levels (30+?) and, it would probably get old after a while, because once you make it through e3m5 or whatever, you'll realize you just want to play the REAL original maps!

but, having such a project completed would be really awesome, and give a number of people a whole lot of bragging rights :D 
CZG & Vondur Scare My Children 
Beautiful level and great level of new detail (and atmosphere) brought to E1M1. I'm going to go speed run this now! 
Finally The Slipgate Complex Looks 
Complex! I liked the details in this, breaking up the pushout bridge section, the changes Megahealth jump area. Good stuff.

Instead of a Quake redux I would like to see The Dynamic Duo do a 36 level megawad of original maps for the Nehahra engine and progs.dat -- that would just blow Doom3 away for me! 
Very Nice Map 
Great architecture and lighting created a completely different feel to this classic map.

I just kept wondering where are the monsters, they must have planned a mega-ambush somewhere. The extra secret also took me a while to figure out. But what was the deal with the penta? 
All Of Quake Wouldn't Be Cool... 
but maybe just the best id maps strung together and edited for gameplay... 
Yeah 
But that did rock. Good work, guys! 
Vondur In Idbase Shocker! 
owny map, guys. idbase forever :) 
Speed Run 
Easy run in 0:28.

http://www.planetquake.com/sda/misc/e1_028.dz

You will probably see this map added to SDA in the near future... 
Sweet 
Really loved this one, you guys reworked that map perfectly. Great brush work from top to bottom. Really some quality work in here. You can't tell 2 people worked on it, you melded your styles so well. Congrats. 
Played 
liked.

couldn't find the last secret though... i got all the regular ones, i think.

this is a vast improvement over the original map, and the extra areas are all nicely done, blending in well with the original level.

good work, guys!

ps: wow, so much quake these past few weeks! how exciting!! :D 
Extra Secret? 
Is there an untagged secret? I got all six and it was just like E1M1. I don't want any clues, I just want to know if I should continue looking for something beyond the six I found. I say this only because of some of the comments above.

I super-enjoyed this beautiful map. It's so cool to know the layout in advance yet it looked so much different! Excellent experience. The build quality and lighting make this a joy to explore. Also, you can't tell that two mappers did it - it's consistent thoughout.

Okay - we won't get all of Quake but if I had to pick another map to get this extreme makeover, I'd vote for Gloom Keep. GK just did something for me in my Quake infancy.

Thanks Vondur and CZG! 
There Is A Secret Secret Area... 
I only found it when looking at the .map file, but I'll give you a hint: You find it from one of the tagged secrets. 
:D 
Thanks for the comments guys! We're really glad you liked this map!

For some of you wondering about the secrets: all the secrets are the same as in original, and yes, there's one new area but we won't tell you how to find it :)

Hehe, funny demo Windlash, it looks like the map is monsterless on easy. Especially if to compare with modern custom maps :) 
/me Wipes Away A Tear... 
Aww, you guys rock. So hard.

btw, that tele at the beginning is my fave part. 
Found It! 
I just found the super-secret area - man, that's clever. Really worth seeing, too. 
About The 7th Secret 
it was pretty obvious to me playing the map how to get there, in fact i noticed how to get there without thinking about it! but yes it was delightful, nice brushwork in that area as well 
Nice Looks 
very cool update guys. But why didnt you update the gameplay too? I know it would have tinkered with the original but it would have made it more worthwhile.

7th secret area was cool too, I just kept on looking for something to shoot :) 
Nitin 
gameplay messing left for those who'd like to mess with the .maps ;)

the idea was to improve the geometry/layout w/o touching monsters and items (some items were added tho) 
Note 
Download this, there is coolness inside (and outside). 

This is what Quake E1M1 should've (and probably could've) been. I really like the idea of remixing levels, and I think we should organize an entire episode remix (or the whole game). I'm not even really a fan of remixes in any medium but this was just cool. Inspiring too. 
Found It 
Found the 7th secret.

Nice extra chunk of map to explore.

Found it without reading hints (I turned my head from posts here.)

I feel complete. 

I added 50 monsters - now its fun 

great job czg + tovarish vondur 
����... 
nt 
Speedy 
care to share?

Vondur,

yeah I realised that you only wanted to tinekr with looks but it would be cool to see what new gameplay/monster positioning you could come up wiht using the same layout. 
Kell In Positive Feedback Idbase Shocker! 
This map rocks so much it actually makes me like idbase. That's how good it is.

Spent stoopid amount of time looking for super secret, then realisation dawned like the first day of spring.
You guys own me totally.

But yeah, I'd really like to play the map against a larger task force. 
Beautifull 
humm as usualy vondur and cgz are amazing...greet work keep doing to still make this great game alive!

Quake Foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrr

http://trinca.no.sapo.pt 
Errr 
E1M1 is the first map in the game -- or in this case, the first map in a possible series or remakes. It's supposed to be easy. 
Very Nice :) 
Just shows what aligning your textures can do for a map! ;-) Amazingly I've never before noticed that shootable door in the first MH area. 
I Was Just Wondering Something... 
i've been toying with the idea of doing a map like e1m1rmx of e1m5 since alot of people have shown interest in that one.

what i'd like to know is what is it you like about the map in the first place... is it the layout, architecture or textures? i wanted to do an arab textures version using the kjsp1 textures, and wanted to know if anyone thought that would be good... 
Wow nicely done.

All your base are belong to Vondur + Czg 
Necros 
hmmm, might be good idea to use those texes.... depends on how you'll do that and light that and detail that :) 
E1M4 Are Belong To Meeee 
Already started work on it... ahh... no more medieval stuff... 
Yay 
fatty u rok! :) 
Necros: 
Stick with similar layout, and definitely same textures. Idea is to capture E1M5 feel but with 1337 modern designs as Vonzg have done. Maybe trickier but similar gameplay.

I think the idea of redoing the maps, just one by one, rocks - as long as they are all similar to the originals but really 1337.

But just keep it low key at first, don't aim for the whole of Quake as it will be too ambitious and fail to materialise. 
If You're Really Going To Remake The Exmx Maps... 
Then remake them.

Don't use completely different texture sets, that'd defeat the purpose (in my mind anyway). In the case of e1m5, for instance, I really liked the atmosphere of that map, and you'll change that completely if you use a markedly different texture set.

The Von+CZG map really is the ideal example of what a remake should be - largely the same layout, textures etc but improved in countless ways.

At the end of the day you want to evoke the same feeling that the original levels did, and you can't do that by using radically different textures etc. 
Hmm 
i'd agree with smablo and fribbla 

I'd like to see a remix of episode 3 with idbase textures instead. 
Well... 
sorry to dissapoint, but i've decided to continue with the kjsp1 textures. i am doing the map more for myself then anyone else :P and i really wanted to try out these textures.
not to mention i already have 1500 brushes down... ;) 
Well 
since people are snatching up maps to remake and no one apparently has e1m2 then I call that one. 
I Think Episode 3 Would Look Good 
In a Headshot style mix of wizmet and techbase like my last speed map. In fact I've been working on a version of e3m2 Vault of Zin that does just that and gets rid of ALL those 90 degree angles (they torment my soul) as well. 
Here U Go. 
You have asked for it, now dont complain.

http://www.planetquake.com/speedy/e1m1rmx_hard.zip

Title : The Slipgate Duplex HARDCORE

Bunch of monsters added. Route and gameplay changed.
map file included.

WARNING: its hard (no skill settings). u have to get all the secrets and look for hidden ammo, or u are toast.
But dont giveup. Quicksave often. Its beatable, once you know what to do.

Speedy (www.planetquake.com/speedy) 
Yeah 
I really want to see a demo of someone playing through this without cheating. 
It's Good That People Have Started To Remake Episode 1 
then my map is E1M3 =) 
Ok, 
http://www.planetquake.com/necros/temp/ne_e1m1rmx_hard.dz

although the start was very difficult and i died three times, so i knew the layout up until i went through the gk door into the second base. 
Necros 
I should have removed penta
nice1 necros 

and not much extra kills - there are 4 fishes 

http://kell.vondur.net/e1m1rmx_hard_kell_demos.zip

2 demos: first shows how far I got on first attempt. Second demo is second attempt, so everything after is new.
Enjoy.

On the subject of E1 remix; it would seem appropriate that I do e1m6/e1m7. I'll do both if no one else voulnteers.
I'd do e1m8 too, but I dunno how we'd get teh gravity to werk :/
I'll stick with m6 for now. 
Gravity 
Getting the gravity to work is easy, just call your map e1m8.bsp :-)

Not much help really. 
Kell 
there's worldspawn key responsible for gravity - "gravity" :) 
Vondur 
O. K.

:P 
Bah 
You've ruined the e1m1 clipping bug. Bah. 
Vondur... 
are you sure that works? O_o

that's not how e1m8's gravity is set... that level's gravity is hardcoded into the qc, that's why any map called e1m8.bsp has low gravity. 
My Choice 
i gonna do e2m1 wanted to do e3m2 but that one been picked :-( . im more interested in tech-style base themes anyways. 

necros: he was lying to you. a common tactic of commies.

(gravity in worldspawn works in q2 and q3 btw) 
Awesome 
JUST FREAKING AWESOME 
Speedy 
that's more like it, thanks for posting that.

The only thing I didnt really like was perhaps those underwater spwans which were completely unfair, otherwise vry enjoyable. 
Underwater Spawn... 
have been a q1sp staple ever since fmb8 :P 
Great 
very good. Oh, and i did find ALL six secrets on first try. Hee. 
Nitin, 
you can see the spawns through the water, same with the fiend at the start, so it's not that hard. plus they get stuck down there as they turn around. gives plenty of time to take them out. 
Um? 
There were spawns in the water? Never saw 'em. 
I Call Start.bsp! 
Someone should make a list. 

Von told me to do e4m4 so I guess I am. 
Just Do Remixes Of The Maps You Want 
and skip all this remake reservations - I'm sure it would be interesting to see different remixes of the same map. 
Necros 
yeah, but I dont play with see through water because some maps have it turned on and others off (making the water look weird) so I just leave it turned off. 
Oh, Ok. 
i thought everyone played with r_novis 1 :D

i guess that could be considered cheating too... oh well, i leave it off the next time i make a demo. ;) 
Nice 
Ahh tis very nostalgic, gallivanting around the ancient maps of yore. Verily, this remixing idea is an idea most fantastical. 
So, Wait 
necros - you used r_novis 1 and the pentagram?!? You weakling! Has anyone even watched my demo yet? o_O

If we build a remake, is the intention that they will connect to other remake maps? i.e. e1m5rmx.bsp trigger_changelevels to e1m6rmx.bsp trigger_changelevels to e1m7remx.bsp etc...? 
i watched it. i didn't know anyone used hipnitic pack for regular play! ;) so it took me awhile until i realised to start with the -game hipnotic.
(probably why many didn't see it?)

anyway, calling me a weakling, is it? well... i enjoyed watching you die the first time around. :P 
Yeah 
well, at least I went down fighting, and not carrying a powerup :P

ah... -hipnotic. I see. That's annoying. Does everyone use a different mod which has mousewheel weapon switching down as well as up?
Also, hipnotic has the very useful genocide! command - impulse 205 iirc. Good when playtesting. 
Weapon Switching 
-game id1 has weapon switching down as well as up. Just make sure your config contains
bind "MWHEELUP" "impulse 10" //weapon up
bind "MWHEELDOWN" "impulse 12" //weapon down

No genocide though... 
Kell, 
you don't need to mod to use mwheelup and down...

in regular quake, go in the console and bind mwheeldown "impulse 12"

impulse 12 is the impulse to cycle backwards...
genocide... didn't know about that... hehe just tried it now. :P 
Ah 
cool, thx for the impulse 12 bind

Yes, genocide! is the main reason I use -hipnotic. Worth adding a similar option to any mod code, assuming that wouldn't be infringing copyright. I use it all the fething time when I map; ~100 monsters taken down with a single key stroke :P 
i just tend to use notarget to bypass monsters and noclip through them if they are really in the way... 
Aye. 
that's the basic method; but with some entities only triggered by monster death, it's useful to 'clear' the map to the state it would be in once complete and exitable. Also, noclipping on/off all the time gets annoying. 
Kell 
As many times as that copyright has been violated in terms of mdls, weapons, .qc, levels -- I would not be concerned about it unless you are planning to comercially exploit it (somehow). 

noclip through monsters who can't see you!? weakling! blast your way through! 
That 
wakes up other monsters sometimes, so it's more annoying than anything else. 
Boo. 
Just played Speedy's HARD version of this which was pretty cool and to be honest a much better version overall because you spend more time soaking up the atmosphere of the map, appreciate the designs more, explore over the whole map, and have a good challenge with some fun gameplay (although it's pretty easy after the start apart from the spawn bits, but still good). I like the Fiends in the water and the Shambler behind the SNG. Oh yeah and some of the jump "secrets" are cool.....except the one that gives you a "Shambler Sux" message - WHAT THA FUCK asshead :P. 
LOL! 
pwnd 

indeed 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.