News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Register | Log in
Site Help
This is the forum to ask questions about this website, report things that are broken, request features, etc.

Be sure to check out the FAQ as well.
First | Previous | Next | Last
Always Getting Logged Out. 
Is there anything you can do to stop me getting logged out? I use lots of computers at home and work and at home I switch between a bunch of OSs too, so I am always getting logged out. Is there any way to keep the cookie or whatever valid on all machines or do I have to save password for this site? (I have that disabled normally so it only just occured to me) 

sounds like your browser are configured to delete the cookie. 
In This Sense 
Isn't the FAQ wrong? Func doesn't need the referer, it's only looking for the cookie. 
Negke... 
yeah, i stopped needing the http_referer a while ago. forgot to update the FAQ.

regarding getting logged out, the cookie should last for about 2 weeks* from your last visit. So as long as you visit every 2 weeks with a specific device, you will stay logged in on that device.

*can't remember if it's exactly 2 weeks, but it's something like that 
Also 
Shouldn't logging out lead you to the main forum index instead of a blank page? 
Negke: 
logging in/out should just keep you on the same page (but it refreshes to indicate the new login state.)

I guess that feature does rely on the referrer, so if it's blank you won't go anywhere. 
I Cannot Login 
With either Firefox or Opera. Just redirects me to the main site, cookie is set. 

FireFox works for me. Just FYI... 
Use A Proper Browser. 
Like internet explorer.

Anyway, Metl, is there anyway to stop these spam news submissions?? I'm having to reject them daily.

They're all signed with linseo34563blog (with varying numbers) so could you auto-reject linseo*****blog? 
How About 
a simple captcha? 

There's one captcha that just asks you a simple math question to prove that you're human (like, what's 8 + 3?). Those are WAY less annoying than the impossible to read text based ones, IMO. 
Also 
Bots might learn to decode a captcha, but never a "8 + 3" question. 
Yeah 
the math captchas are nice, or some simple Quake-related questions. 
"How Many Eyes Does The Fiend Have?" 

Captchas might not prevent this kind of spam, humans are cheap to rent over the internet. 

Well, humans won't be stopped no matter what so there's no point worrying about that. But if you can give the bots a few stumbling blocks it would seem worth it. 
Well 
if the question is Quake specific, I doubt that hired humans will be able to answer correctly. 
Shambler: 
i might see if i can do a better job of blocking bots, but my guiding principle has been to make it easier for users, even though it makes it harder for moderators. So a captcha would make moderation easier but posting a news thread for users less easy.

Right now there's some simple javascript that you need to run in your browser to post, the original idea was that bots wouldn't execute it. If these are posted by bots, it must mean the bots are evaluating the javascript. So maybe i need to make it more complicated than just simple javascript. 
Tronyn Reviews 
The link to Tronyn's reviews at Quaddicted is wrong, it should be http://www.quaddicted.com/tronyn-reviews/ 

opening italics in post #5894, closing in #10778 in General Abuse 
3 Spams Already Today. 
Not sure if the other moderators have dealt with any. It's the same linseo****blog bollox, I think that should be blocked. 
Shambler: 
i'll look at it tonight, if it's all one IP it should be easy to block. 
Re: #1564 
thanks for the report, it appears the problem is unclosed uppercase tags don't get closed correctly (my code was only scanning for unclosed lowercase tags.) Will fix soon. 
RSS Feed Down? 
I can't get the RSS feed to load, is it down for everyone or is it something with just my machine? 
Hmmm... 
seems like there is a problem with the (R) symbol in the second news story (fruitz of dojo post.) I wonder if i need to do something to correctly HTML-encode symbols like that. 
Sticky Posts 
Recently I started Q1 modelling and found it hard work trying to track down all the resources for my project. I read through the modelling thread here which was full of really cool information but it could have been summarized into a sticky top post.

Is there any plans of implementing a knowledge thread about certain core subjects? (qc, coding, skins, modelling, entities etc) Like they only contains core stuff and not the pages of fluff that often is the case with some of the threads here. 

if i understand correctly, you're talking about how at the top of a thread, there is a regularly-updated "super-post" that contains all of the best info from all the other posts in the thread?

I'm not sure about that since it requires a lot of human labor, but it might be a good idea to be able to flag posts as "informative" and then have a filter view where you see only the informative posts from the thread. 
Filtering 
would certainly be a good idea because there is some awesome information already in the threads, just they are buried. If you can flag good content then at least it would make a super post of information. 
There Realy Is No Search Function.. 
here, or i'm just to dumb to find?
Would save some questions ^^ 

google does a pretty decent job tbh. never really missed having a search here. 

quaddicted is partially a wiki nowadays, pages like that would be very welcome. put them into /tools/ I guess.

eg http://www.quaddicted.com/tools/map_compilers 
Yes 
What you want is a wiki. 
Wakey 
Yeah, just add site:celephais.net/board to your search term and there you go. Of course you can also open the whole thread and do a browser search if it's in Mapping Help, for example. 
Works 
nice tipp negke, thx!

A general wiki about Quake (1-3A) editing would be nais.
Much information about such stuff (advanced compilers & their switches, editors, entities) is scattered throughout the net, imo it would make sense to collect it in such a place. 

Never Wikia 
A Company Wants To Make Money!? 
haven't checked it out though. If its a genuinely bad layout and awkward to use people will prefer a better one.

The reasoning laid out sounds more like a personal fued. Which is fine, although the reasoning sounds a bit naive. 
Fuck Wikia 
why would you let a company make money off your work? 
DoomWiki Moved Away Too 

To Host It For Free? 
But it's a fine line, and I haven't investigated the thing. 

Func is free!
Quaddicted is free!
Oh wait, you are all being sold!

Your mod will be free right?
All those hours.

If one cares, one invests time and money into providing something to others for free. 

And often you yourself get a benefit off it too. God, I hated having to use Fileplanet and other "login and wait 2 minutes" money-makers for map downloads...

Oh look, all the ad-supported hosted sites on Planetquake.com were deleted. Oops! Who tells you Wikia gives a fuck about your content if it is not profitable?

Disclaimer: I am one of those Archiveteam zealots. 
Metl 
How about an approval process for discussion threads, just as there is for news threads? 
That's A Good Idea 
as well as getting rid of spam threads, it means we hopefully won't get any shitstorms like that fiend mod/cyst popping palava. Considering how strict the rules supposedly are for discussion threads, it seems odd that there is literally no restrictions on posting them. 
That's A Bad Idea 
What kind of forum would that be...

The moderators simply need more power - an option to mark posts as spam and delete (or hide) threads. This shouldn't be hard to implement. 

What kind of forum would that be...

One without (X) Deleted threads! 
Moderated new threads with options to Publish / Reject into Thread X/y/z / Reject as spam, would seem sensible to me. It would mean a slight delay to threads but since they are supposed to be long term discussion threads I think that would be okay? 
Maybe... 
Up the number of sticky threads to be a nice round 10? To have some more useful stickies so that people can get their questions answered more readily...

How about:

Modding/coding help.
Custom engine help.
Modelling help/screenshots/etc.

??? 

Potentially, it would reduce the incentive to create a discussion thread even more. The "slight" delay may easily be several hours, judging from how the approval of news threads works at the moment (either in the morning or the evening func-time, rarely in between).

The current amount of spam certainly doesn't justify such drastic measures, in my view. 
Stickies 
- coding help
- modelling help
- "other games"

Note: I still think the current separation of "other PC games" from "other console games" is retarded considering that most of the games talked about in the PC thread are just bloody console ports anyway. 

I think my first step will be adding moderator powers, without requiring approval (so threads are instantly live, but moderators can close them.) 
That Sounds 
The most reasonable. 
I Agree. 

Only reason I gave up moderation power was because I couldn't delete all of Shambler's threads and posts, so I agree. 
Okay... 
moderators have a couple of new powers now.

1. when editing a thread, you can change status between three choices: "normal", "closed", and "censored". Closed threads are still visible to the public but don't accept new posts. Censored threads are completely hidden (but not deleted from the database.)

Our policy should be to censor spam threads (i.e. spambots posting google bait) and to censor duplicate threads (e.g. user posted identical info into two threads by accident, or created both a news and a discission thread because they were uncertain.) If a thread is not spam or dupe, but just misguided (e.g. it should have been posted to mapping help,) then we should post a non-snarky explanation of why, and close it, so they (and others) can learn from their mistake. We shouldn't be deleting title/body of the thread when closing it, because that confuses people, since they won't know which thread it is anymore.

2. When viewing posts, there is now a tiny link next to the byline of each post that says "spam" -- if you click it it will flag it as spam, and then there will be a link that says "unflag" in case you made a mistake. These links us AJAX to update the page without reloading it, it has worked for me for several months but let me know if you find bugs with this feature.

Policy: only flag posts that are really spam, not just because they are annoying. 
...okay. 
Makes sense, will use carefully. 
Is My Screen Fucked 
or did you change the background color? 
Sleepwalkr: 
no change to the background, must be something on your end 
Yeah 
reboot did the trick 
Moderators: 
don't forget to change spam threads to "censored" instead of "closed" -- closed threads are still visible. 
That Was Me 
will do it right from now on. 
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) 

Aw 
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) 
Nope 
Was trying for this: http://www.blameitonthevoices.com/2011/02/y-u-no-emoticon.html

No support for Japanese (?) characters?

Mark the above posts as spam please ;) 
Ijed: 
i don't really have a very good system for handling charsets... i think the server is set to Western European or something, the html don't include a charset, there's occasional bugs with weird characters breaking the RSS feed (em dash, copyright symbol, trademark symbol, zertstorer O with the umlaut on it. These don't seem to be causing much of a problem for us so I haven't really investigated what I would need to do to encode everything correctly. 

you are using htmlspecialcharacters after htmlentities I guess. 
Please... 
Ban / auto-reject anything from linseo****blog 
+1 
It's really getting to be annoying. 
Yeah 
I think the time has come, because now they keep spamming the news threads (thus fucking up their order). 
Btw... 
unflagging ijed's spam posts because there's code that blocks any IP from posting that was once the source of a spam post... 
Status... 
i'm working on a feature to flag spam accounts, which will help because the current wave of spam is all from registered users (all the linseoblog guys.) I have already flagged the accounts in the database, now i will need to add code to block a new post/thread if it is coming through a spam account. Should be comming soon. 
Cool. 
That will definitely help as 90% of it seems to be that linseobollox. 
SleepalkR 
News and discussion threads in the full lists are ordered by date of creation. Only the "last 10 threads" are affected by (spam) bumping. 
Yeah 
That's where it annoys me the most, since I never visit the full lists or news page. 
Test 
this should work 
Okay... 
accounts flagged as spam accounts are now blocked from creating posts/threads. This is only effective if the spammer is logged in and I have flagged the account. Lineseoblog accounts have all been flagged. Let's see what happens. 
Thanks Metl 
xxx 
Test 
failed 
I Failed... 
I just tried to replace my name by 'Lineseoblog'.. that does not work :P

sorry... 
Test 
failed ?? 
Eh... 
if not logged he can post: maybe the IP address could be alos flag as spammer... Can it work this way too ? 
Jpl: 
IP flagging was already a feature. 
Fair Enough... 
:) 
Feature Request 
Allow "sort by last post" on the archive pages. 

How to save to pc these "angry" and "neutral" icons? every time i got an empty files clear.gif 

Icons are all tiled together into a single image, view source and you'll see it. 
Thanx 
i see,

not my way though 

metl, I'm assuming you wrote all the php for the board? 
Necros: 
yeah, it's all custom code i wrote back in 2002 (with some tweaks over the years.) 
This post was flagged as spam. 

Sorry Metl 
Somehow I managed to post with unclosed html tags: http://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=1&start=22216&end=22217

Not sure how, the last word is missing the </i> 

weird, i thought i fixed this bug for good last time... I'll look into it. 
Nope You Definitely Broke It. 

Maybe. 

Arse. 

Xmas Crate! 

Looks Like 
Hitting refresh now causes a double post... 
Looks Like 
Hitting refresh now causes a double post... 
Yep 

whoa really? 

doesn't seem to do so on Firefox 
Ah 
Chrome then.. 
After 
Making a post that is. 
Just Checking About The Refresh Thing 
on firefox 19 

could you make the "All XXXX, Last 25, New XX" bit not get split up by text wrapping? 
Test 
test 
Yeah, Opera Rocks 
All the recent double posts make me wonder if some browser stopped warning on resending post data on a refresh.

Opera does not seem to resend at all which of course is desirable.

Let's see: 
Hurr 
durr 

I am a good browser, I prompt. 
Herp 
derp 

I behave like Opera, not resending, not prompting. 
And This Concludes Our Scientific Experiment 
The conclusion is that people are using Internet Explorer 4.0

Weird. Make gamma rays or moon phases? 
Nope 
As I stated before, Chrome. 

that was chrome, but it prompted first. don't know why i clicked yes 
Feature Request 
metl, could you make an anchor in view_thread.php right after the top-most pagination before the first rendered post? And then point to that in "New X" links.

Would save at least 42 milliseconds of scrolling whenever one visits posts with long main posts. ;) 
Test 
Test 
Test In Chrome 
Test in Chrome 

So Firefox (and every other browser once upon a time) lets you refresh without posting, Chrome offers to resubmit the form. I'm not sure why it offers that, since i use a redirect to help clear out the form data (so that people can refresh the page without worries.) Chrome is just too clever; I guess i'll need to find another way. 

It's amazing and sad how many people seem to click yes without thinking though. I hope they don't do that for java applets. 
One Common Solution 
Is to store a magic value in the session and in a hidden form field. On submit, the session value is removed. If the session value is missing, nothing gets posted. 
Missing Or A Mismatch 
That is. 

Or manually kill the $POST vars after submission maybe.... ? 

It's amazing and sad how many people seem to click yes without thinking though. I hope they don't do that for java applets.
To be fair, that's what happens when too many things ask too many stupid questions. You condition people to click YES out of reflex. 

You may already have tried this, or already have this. But, try putting "exit;" after your header("Location: ") redirect. 
Error No 42 
Can't post anywhere 
But Here! 

Sleepwalkr 
not sure why it can happen, but this means you loaded the page with one IP address, but when you submitted your post you had a different IP.

Maybe it happens on mobile phones more because they can change networks frequently? (edge <-> 3g <-> wifi) 
Okay 
I understand. I'm at home where I'm in my wifi, but sometimes it switches to mobile broadband for some reason. Thanks! 
Deqer: 
i can see how that might help, as my php still generates the entire page after you post.

I wonder if chrome is ignoring the redirect because it's the same URL? In that case i could use a second URL as the post target and then redirect back to view_thread.php. 
Good Guess 
Ah Good... 
i'll just do nothing then :)

(though adding an "exit" to my php after the redirect still sounds like a good idea to save server resources) 

Although it's a bug and that it's being addressed, it's still too late.

Not many people will bother to upgrade their Chrome to latest version--we've seen that habit with IE users.

Simply adding several lines of javascript, and you'll be able to convert your "Post A Reply" < form > to use Ajax.

By looking at your HTML code, I can see that you are using javascript without any libraries such as mootools, jquery, etc. -- which is fine, you can still do ajax with plain javascript.

---

Just adjust your HTML slightly by adding an ID to the <td> that holds the "Post A Reply" form html.
Currently it is:
< td bgcolor="#333333" width="500" valign="top" >
< span class="header2">Post A Reply:</span >
< /td >

Change the < td > to have id="post-a-reply"
So, you then have < td bgcolor="#333333" width="500" valign="top" id="post-a-reply" >

Then, the javascript would be:

On submit:

var xmlhttp;
if (window.XMLHttpRequest) { // code for IE7+, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari
xmlhttp=new XMLHttpRequest();
}
else { // code for IE6, IE5
xmlhttp=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");
}
xmlhttp.onreadystatechange = function() {
if (xmlhttp.readyState==4 && xmlhttp.status==200) {
document.getElementById("post-a-reply").innerHTML = xmlhttp.responseText;
}
}
xmlhttp.open("POST","http://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=2&start=1676&ajax=1",true);
xmlhttp.send();

---

Notice I added another parameter "&ajax=1" to the submit URL, and you can use that in PHP to spit out a specific response for the update to the < td >, rather spit the entire page as if there was no ajax.

Obviously the "id=2&start=1676" part is dynamic, of course. 

Hmm, that one line got garbled. It changed my quotation character to "&quo..." Let's try again:

xmlhttp.open("POST", "http://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=2&start=1676&ajax=1" ,true);

Ahhh, whatever. 

Chrome updates automatically. 
Yup 
Deqer, this is a veey change-averse group ;-) 

Still doesn't hurt to add some ajax to the site. Ajax has been available and supported for 10+ years now. Saves on resources, too.

It's 2013. Get with it. 
Metl 
Please don't. Javascript is bloody annoying. 
Yes 
Please don't, and it's not necessary at all. You can protect against double posts entirely on the server. 

Please don't. Javascript is bloody annoying.

uhm.. javascript is used already? 

I do have plans for ajax, in fact it's already used for the "flag spam" feature that moderators have. But this site is not my active project right now (aside from necessary maintenance.)And don't worry, I would only use it for enhancements that make sense for the design of the site. 

Yeah, better not let a stranger like me tell you how to improve your outdated website. Best you figure it out on your own. Maybe another 10 years, and you'll come around. 
Yo Deqer 
if you are not listening to the many people who give you helpful advice, then why should they listen to you. 

He's gone critical! He's gonna blow!

I knew it wouldn't last. Awesome. 
Deqer 
Welcome to the OLD SKOOL!!! 
Also Deqer 
Thanks for the lesson in AJAX btw. Seriously. That looks like useful info for a cat like me (deadly serious), please re-post the truncated line again, just add a space after .celephais.net/board . 
And 
ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLH...  
Actually 
If you could use some fancy javascript/ajax/jibberty-jello magic to make it so Deqer's posts are ignored that would be great thanks :) 

Or just install vBulletin.

*ducks* 
So I Heard U Likes JQuery? 

Feature Suggestion 
A link to display all posts from within a thread. I know it can be done by clicking on the title, but it's not very transparent and, well, I keep forgetting. Would fit well with the current navigation: All | First | Previous | Next | Last
Don't Go 
For the crown Kinn. 

test test 

test test 

repro on double posting in Firefox:

Write post.

Press Preview.

Hit submit rapidly on the preview page. 
Random Request: OpenID? 
@metlslime: how hard do you think it might be to make func an OpenID provider, so that we could use our func_msgboard accounts to log into other sites? Then people could use their func personas to post comments on my site (instead of creating a local login) or possibly quakewiki.org could hook into it as well? 
Tyrann: 
I don't know, I actually have never looked into it. 

ERROR: Error message number 42
when i tried to submit a post? 
Your IP Number Changed 
Usually happens on smartphones when they switch from Wifi to Cellular or vice versa. 

ah ok, i was at work. :)
if it's caused by that, shouldn't the error just say that instead? error 42 is very cryptic. 
It's The Answer! 

It's A Nerd Thing 
from Hitchhiker's Guide. 
It's Broken Again! :p 
Looks like the Lvl post broke the RSS feed. :D 
Agh,,, 
looks like the accented characters did it again:

* Under Water by T-kölök

I probably need to escape these chars or use the correct Character encoding in the xml or something. 
I Used 
utf8_encode($foo);

Im my PHP CMS. 
Dearest Mods 
http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=1&start=22774&end=22774

Please unflag that post, I believe it banned my ip from posting (posting from anonymouse.org) 
At Least 
I am assuming that is why I keep getting 'Error 71' every time I attempt to post, logged in or not, and why I CAN post from a proxy. 

Unflagged.

I can't remember for sure but i think if a registered account is associated with a flagged post, it blocks that account from posting. 
Or.. 
maybe it is IP-based. Can't remember and i don't have the source code in front of me right now. 
Test Test 
thanks 
Btw Metl 
I emailed you last night regarding this since I hadn't thought of anonymous proxy browsing to post, and hadn't thought that SOMEONEbler may have flagged one of my posts. So you can ignore that email (assuming the washington.edu email you have posted all over the site is still valid for you) 
Please Reban Him 
That's all. 
:_( 

Lol 
Sorry 
my english just awful

dammit 

Can We Ban Deqer Please? 
Or at least can I flag his trolls as spam?

Having successfully lured sock into making awesome Q1 SP maps, it's unpleasant that his patience and professionalism is being tested by some puerile little twat who needs a good dose of STFU... 
No... 
I don't want to use spam tools to fight trolls. We can just argue with or ignore trolls like we always have. 

Func was down for about a day just now...this was due to SleepwalkR moving celephais.net to a new server. I have now updated the DNS and SleepwalkR fixed a configuration issue and it appears everything is back to normal. 
SA REPRAZENT 
All good for me, DNS was down yesterday.

A few messages weren't marked as read but that was from the previous site. 
Nice One Metl And Sleepy 
xxx 
Metlslime 
have you considered using captcha for anonymous posts? Don't use it for register users, just anyone who posts without an account. I don't think there is much harm to free discussion and offers at least a little protection from spam 
Scampie: 
i think we (moderators) are doing a pretty good job of flagging spam as it appears. The only thing that still bothers me is that spam posts are counted as "new posts" so you might visit a thread marked "new 1" and not find any legit new posts. And the other issue is that the spam posts are still displayed in the thread view isntead of completely hidden.

I don't want to fix the second problem without fixing the first (otherwise it would be really confusing to see "new 1" and then click and see zero posts.) 
On That Note 
can I be a mod again? 
NO. 
HTH. 
Borg Reputed 
Post title capitalization does not work when symbols are before characters, eg a quote. I'd vote for leaving titles alone in any case though. 

could someone please delete my recent posts in the general abuse thread? XD

sorry for that 

your inanities will be visible to others throughout the ages. 
Rudl 
:) 

Any Thoughts On Why This Is? 
[16:10] <ShamblR> wtf is up with func?
[16:10] <ShamblR> i've cleared my cache and cookies and flushed dns
[16:10] <ShamblR> still same message
[16:11] <@Scampie> ShamblR: Daz was saying he still had it a few days ago
[16:11] <@Scampie> my dns was updated right off
[16:12] <ShamblR> weird
[16:12] <Daz_> func_ is fine for me atm, but occasionally it will go back to the "old" func
[16:12] <ShamblR> it updated on my laptop but not on my desktop
[16:13] <ShamblR> anything else i can do to refresh it? 

in case it wasn't clear, they get the message about servers moving and DNS 

for blambler maybe the hosts file? 
DNS 
Can't offer an explanation, but something that might be worth testing: try using 8.8.8.8 as your DNS server (it's the google DNS) when it occurs, and see if that helps. 

I had the old ip in my local hosts file due to some ancient stuff up so other people might have done that too? 

might have been when the dns was busted the time before. i recall someone had said to just access the board with the ip address. 
Clicking Submit Twice Posts Twice. 
:( 
People.php 
I'm unable to access the full users list. The nofilter=1 thing seems broken in FF24. 

seems broken in chrome 30 as well 

weird, i'll check it out 
Fixed. 
Sometime in recent history, "register_globals" was set to false in the server configuration. This is a good thing because it's more secure now, but the side effect is it broke some code on the people page. Code has been fixed. 
Yeah 
Thought so. The setting was changed when we moved to the new server. 

It might be worth highlight new records in a different color?
http://s019.radikal.ru/i627/1310/a0/4255a50a93d0.png 
Digs: 
actually i had some vague plans to highlight those links more, eventually. 

How about fields under the title? With a couple of other quantity options - people have mentioned those in the past. 
Bah 
Basically proposing to make the vertical scroll distance double :P 
Noooooooooooooooo 
Single rows are much easier to scan over. 
Yep 

How About 
OTP: 
actually that's close to what i was picturing, yeah. 
Go Go Go !! 

Hm 
Another feature request: it'd be nice to have a button 'last 25' inside the normal thread view as well.

Normally I click the 'new X' button, ready the new comments, don't know what they're talking about or want to clarify a point, so have to go back out, click last 25 and return to thread.

Having the button inside the thread as well would close that loop. 
I Mean 
It would probably look like:

First Previous Next Last Last 25

At the end of each thread. 

yeah, that would be nice. currently, i just edit the url to point 10 or 20 back. 
Backslash Strangeness 
When you preview a post containing backslashes, the backslashes get stripped. Doubling up a backslash means a single backslash appears in the preview (and the submission text). Submitting a post with doubled-up backslashes creates a post with doubled-up backslashes. Seems like something odd is going on with the previewer? 
Got This Again 
RECURSIVE ERROR:
Error 1: Can't connect to database.
Error 2: SQL error 1040 on line 98 of _user.php.
This problem usually goes away if you refresh the page (but feel free to tell metlslime about the specific error you just got, since I'm curious about why this happens.

And it's slow to load pages just now. 
And It's Back To Normal... 

Ahh... SQL error 1040 is "too many connections" so I guess it was just too busy. 
Metl 
There was a DoS. 
Metl, I R Dum 
Could you put a link in the sticky OP on how to do things like making working links and such? A quick search didn't do me any good. 
Quaketree: 
it's in the FAQ but I could make it more prominent I guess 
Ok 
Thanks. 
Metl 
All the images in /levels/rubicon2/ are broken. 
Otp: 
Thanks, this is fixed now. It was another place in my code where I was relying on the "register_globals" setting. 
Time To Update The Links? 
QuakeDev is gone, PQ hasn't been updated since August 2012, and Besmella redirects to Quakeworld.nu. Also, a link to http://quakewiki.org/ would be nice. 
Updated. 

Thanks 

TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_ 
TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_TEST_

Testing long words -- instead of chopping them and adding a "..." at the end, i now set the CSS property overflow=auto to add a scroll bar. 

man that is ugly.

but at least people can read long strings. 
Can't You Just Split The String And Add A Newline Between Splits? 
would be better than that scroll bar 
You Could 
make shortened words clickable, and a click on them expands them, showing the scrollbar. Because yeah: ugly. 

I'll try to come up with something better, when i have more time to work on it.

Usually long strings with no spaces are things like source code, urls, etc. where adding a space could invalidate the content. So i have to keep that in mind. 
Word Up G 
the html on the front page atm seems borked. Giant black segment running down the side that seems to be caused by links in a news item. 

i don't see it, what browser are you using? 
Happens On Safari 

I Saw This Earlier 
on my phone. But only when I logged in on my pc did I realise what this meant, this is hella ugly having a giant scroll bar. The Rage thread is fucked on my pc. 

I would rather just extend the long words to break out of the layout. looks like ass too but is much more user friendly imo, especially on small screens.

but isn't there some css3 stuff that might allow hard hyphenation? been a while since I looked. 
Metl 
latest version of chrome on windows. 
Screenshot 
CSS Stuff 
looks like setting "word-wrap:break-word;" might do the trick. It does word wrapping like normal, but also breaks single words that are too long to fit on a line. 
Update: 
followed ericw's suggestion and I am now using word-wrap:break-word; ... seems to work! 
Not Always 
Hm 
Yeah, I get the same breakage on http://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=60984 in chrome 32 and safari 7.

I played around with the browsers a bit, and adding "word-break: break-word;" in addition to the word-wrap setting seems to fix chrome/safari, and not mess up firefox. That seems to be a nonstandard/undocumented value for "word-break" though, whereas the "word-wrap" setting is at least documented in http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#overflow-wrap-property :-/ 

Okay, seems I'll need to add word break and over flow wrap to cover all browsers and all versions of the standard. 
Okay, 
added "word-break: break-word;" -- tested on my iPad and it seems to solve the problem. 
Weird Links 
Some links on the site will redirect me to this other website with a chrome warning :o

In Digs post here http://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=60996&start=75 his link sends me to http://www.otrs.com/solutions/managed-otrs/account-unavailable/?id=60996&start=17

Witchcraft! 

You're infected, bro. 
Or... 
is that the hosting company that hosts fov120.com (and therefore celephais.net) server? 
Just To Be Sure 
Is there a thread about Worldcraft 3.3 or for the Quake adapter that Baker made, in Func? I think i saw it, but can't find it after manual and automatic searchs 

i didn't find any either. i know there was a guide at one point but i have no idea even on who made it. 

Yes 
That's probably the one. Thanks.

Maybe the title should be changed ... but there is more than just Quake adapter in that thread. 
Heartbleed Bug 
There's this SSL bug security flaw thing the web is freaking out about. Does it apply to this site in any way? Cause I've been getting messages to change my passwords everywhere. :| 
Thats Easy 
just don´t use passwords! 
Re: 1798 
Nothing to worry about here, this site doesn't use SSL at all and your passwords are sent as plaintext whenever you first log in :)

(after that they are sent as MD5 hashes for each page request) 
Whoa 
#1754 is in! 
Not Intrusive Enough 

Can You Make It Flash? 
Like, visually flashing, not coded in flash. 

it's a bit much...

http://i62.tinypic.com/30skor4.jpg instead? 
Seconded. 

Thirded. 

Now More Important Than Ever 
Can we please have a "mark all threads as read" option? 
Heh 
i will try toning it down soon. I agree it went from too subtle to too eye-catching. 
Greedy Feature Request 
Could we get a "permalink" style feature, where the # mark next to the post number links to that post in isolation like #. Or is that secretly google indexing poison? 
Adding To The Above 
Why not make all strings beginning with a # into links leading to said post? Like how linking to issues on Github works. 

Great ideas! Only numbers, not strings of course. Maybe some special syntax to denote start AND end would be needed though. Simply "#12-34"?

Func could use some SEO I think. How about using a noindex meta tag on all thread pages that are not using a start index divisible by 25 (or what the pagination post count is for visitors)? And a ref nofollow on those internal links within post bodies. 
How Do You Put Tags On Links? 
the one here: http://www.celephais.net/board/faq.php

seems a bit confusing to me. 
Disregard The Above. 
Already figured it out. 
'\' Is Stripped When Using Preview 
When you preview a post with '\' characters, they are stripped, but you can submit them just fine. 

hey cool, the [New #] links disappear when you hit back! 

They shouldn't unless the page gets refreshed. Normally when you hit back a cached version gets displayed. 

They disappear for me too. Not sure what the reason is but I like it. 

using Firefox 31 

A Request 
I would love to get the

"News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Account | Log out"

at the bottom of the page as well. It kinda sucks to have to scroll all the way back up a long thread to navigate back to the forums.

Apologies if someone has asked for this before and it's been shot down. 
+1 

+1 

ctrl+home since forever 

alt + left arrow is "back" in most browsers (or apple + left arrow on macintosh) 

...which doesn't mean i won't do it, just, this is just a request for a hyperlink to go back, right? 

backspace also goes back! 

Although after posting, you're placed at the bottom of a forum thread after a page you probably don't want to back up over (the one with the post you just made typed out in the box). 

wait, not all people use mouse side buttons for back/forward? 

Seriously, what else are those side buttons for? 

For playing Diablo 3, as Jay Wilson said in 2008! 

Oh, yeah, those too. but backspace when it's touchpad time. 

basically what we're all saying is you have options 
Having The Buttons At The Bottom 
Would help when on other devices, not PC. 

wait, not all people use mouse side buttons for back/forward?

I specifically have those keys set to do nothing in web browsers because I use them as push to talk keys in VOIP programs, and it's annoying as fuck to keep changing webpage while I'm talking to someone.

But that's a bit off topic.

Just because a shortcut exists doesn't mean you should not put links where they will be most useful. When I get to the bottom of the page is when I am likely to want links to other parts of the site. I don't think it would make the site's design look awful either. 

It's "a" shortcut ... there's, like, 8. 
Metl 
No, not just a request for a link back. Most forums have some kind of way to navigate around the site at the bottom of the page since you're generally reading top to bottom. It's a usability thing.

Again, not a *huge* deal but it would be a nice thing to have if it's not a huge undertaking to implement it. 

Where can I read about the forum codes used here? Like how to do text urls, like I see everyone but me do. 
Hipshot 
First | Previous | Next | Last
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2014 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.