News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Texture Creation Tips
Well, I noticed that a lot of mappers currently use their own textures, but, I think it will be very interesting for the community to know how each mapper build their proper wad files.

So, What are your prefered graphic tools?
Do you start from scratch, or do you use photos as a startpoint ?
How do you ensure to have good graphical effects (design, lightning) in the game ?
Well, basically: what are the "worth known tips" in order to achieve a good texture look ?
Bleh 
i use:

1. photoshop
1.1. texmex
1.2. wally

2. id and other custom textures as a base

3. summon kell 
Good Question... 
And a complete answer would take too much time for me to write it right now...but i'll be back. (Maybe.) 
Agreed. 
3. summon kell

That's the most important step. 
I Forgot To Say.. 
I tested textures creation for my next map... and I found it really easy to create... even if my first tries were really crappy... :/

I used ULead Pals2Go image editor (this is a morphing tool witch allow very cool deformation) and PhotoShop.

I started from photos (for animated texture as well)..

I created the wad file from bmp file, and I'm not sure it's the appropriate image format to ensure a good texture quality..

Basically, the only problem I found was the difficulty to anticipate size matching between textures and brushes.. before their usage in mapping editor... It was a little bit tricky for me... 
My Favourite Texture Creation Tool? 
definatly Kell. 
What's This!? 
a real answer to this thread!?

Rorshach wrote a bunch of tutorials detailing his method of texturing and other such game art, all on his site in the 'help' section.

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/rorshach/

This'll be a good place to start. There used to be some tuts Fingers wrote, I'll try and locate them. 
Textures... 
I tried some textures, by changing existing ones. The only crap I met was the dark gamma in which the Q1 textures are.

Another strange attitude was the importing of animated textures. They need the +name_0 account, which I couldn't obtain in WinXP.
Win98 didn't had a problem with it. 
Madfox 
In WinXP, just give your texture files any filename, then rename them once you've imported them in TexMex. 
um... i don't know what kind of winxp you've got, but i can use +0name.* just fine... 
Thanks 
heard of it, but never knew TexMex. Will download as soon as possible.

I saw these two, and I couldn't leave them, after retexturing.
http://members.home.nl/gimli/machine.qme 
Scampie 
Thanks for the link it's really interesting ! Sure it will help me to improve my own textures... 
Iikka's Texture Tutorials 
I believe they were taken down due to space limitations on their server. 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.