News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
All Time Top 10 FPS?
Here is a simple idea which could be interesting:
List your Top ten favorite FPS games of All time. Based on both SP and/or DM gameplay.
My list:

1.Quake
2.Doom
3.Quake 3 Arena
4.Duke Nukem 3d
5.Sin
6.Quake 2
7.Half-Life
8.Unreal Tournament
9.Unreal
10.Hexen

You can tell 1 thing from my list:
I dont care much for "realistic" FPS. Although for some reason i did like "Sin".
Bah 
there has not been 10 games good enough to be listed...

1. quake1
2. metroid prime
3. deus ex
4. halo
5. half-life
6. unreal 
Hmm 
I`d contest that Metroid Prime is in fact an FPS (in the `shooter` sense of the word anyway) 
Nonentity. 
what?! have you even played the game?

You shoot.
In first person.

ergo;

it is a FPS. 
B00 
1. Quake (the best)
2. Quake 3 Arena (+ CPMA :P)
3. Doom2 (new guns and monsters added a lot to the game)
4. Doom
5. Half-life (It was a great innovation to FPS, but it has been the cause of FPS being boring nowadays IMO)
6. Wolf3d (for its stupid final bosses :)
7. Serious Sam (Coop rocks)

Im searching for deus ex right now, I havent played it yet. 
Hmm 
1. Quake 2
2. Half Life
3. Golden Eye
4. Unreal
5. Quake 1
6. Unreal Tournament
7. Deus Ex (Yes, I`m aware my previous post works for this too, shut up).
8. Time Splitters 2
9. Elite Force
10. Daikatana/Duke Nukem 3D (Kinda equal worth in my mind) 
Hmm 
Yes, but it`s not a shooter game in the purest sense, given that you merely press lock on and then fire for the shooting bits (look, I was just being pedantic, fuck off). 
I havent played too many FPS games, so my list will be short.

1. Ghost Recon (I like realism)
2. Halo
3. Quake 1

11. UT (good, but not top-10 good)

Odd, I didnt even include the only game I mapped for. 
Uhohhh... 
... I hope Aardappel doesn't read this thread ;). 
System Shock 2 
nuff said.

Honestly, I don't understand the fascination with sorting things into top 10 lists. Half the time people will post immediately after and say "Whoa I forgot XYZ!! But I had ten on my list, so what do I do?!" This just emphasizes the point that you can't really create a good top 10 list, since people change their minds immediately afterward. 
It Goes To 11 
1 Quake
2 Quake 3 Arena
3 Cube
4 Duke 3D
5 Half-Life
6 Alien vs. Predator (1)
7 Quake 2
8 Unreal
9 DooM
10 UT
11 Alien vs. Predator (Jaguar)

And yes Cube is there because I really like it that much. May be giving it a slight nudge since it`s "short" although this is offset by easy creation. Note, qmap oldtimers, 8 months ago it would have been #11.

Jury`s still out on Serious Sam and maybe I`ll try full Undying and Alice and maybe Elite Force or WOT. Based on demos, it`s unlikely I`ll be trying more NOLFs, SysShocks, Thiefs, or Deus Ex. I`m not sure Descent counts, and I know FP robot games don`t. 
R.P.G. 
yeah, I don't like the Top10 idea - for anything.
gosh, you are very sage these days :P 
Nonentity 
sure. 
Heres My List Fag0t 
1. Quake 
Ok Then 
My list of the best...
Quake2
Quake
Half Life
Alien vs, Predator2
UT - CTF only
Soldier Of Fortune1
Doom/Doom2
Unreal1/Return To Na Pali
Red Faction
Serious Sam1/2

Good but gets boring fast...
Elite Force
BF1942
CS

Some of the worst (just my opinion of course)...
UT2003K
UT2
MOHAA - I did enjoy some of the SP
RTCW
SOF2
JK2
Q3 
Let Me See 
Quake (and mission packs)
Quake III (and Team Arena)
Quake II (and mission packs)
RTCW
Half Life
DooM (all)
Descent I,II

hmmm,.....My brain hurts, ...that's it 
Ffs 
thief! 
i forgot about Cube. :/

Which i love, obviously.

Goldeneye is good too, yes indeedy. 
System Shock 2
Quake
Descent 2
Unreal

no top ten, but these are my favourites anyway... 
Bleh Top 10 Thread... 

& Etc. 
1= Quake
1= Unreal
1= Battlezone2

that`s all....most of the rest are good but those three are the ones that have really made a mark with me 
Ken`s Labyrinth 
Spentron... 
Undying and WOT are both great. Alice is good too but not quite as satisfying despite the cool themes and music.

IMHO. 
Roughly... 
(too late Gom :)

1. Doom 1/2
2. QuakeWorld
3. Cube
4. Descent 1/2
5. Quake
6. Serious Sam 1/2
7. Jedi Knight 1
8. KISS Psycho circus
9. Unreal 1
A. Dark Forces
B. Metroid Prime
C. Heretic 1
D. Quake 3
E. Quake 2 
Top Ten 
1. Quake
2. BF1942 (Desert Combat)
3. MOHAA
4. NOLF
5. Goldeneye (N64)
6. Red Faction
7. Half Life
8. Quake 3 Arena
9. Quake 2
10. Serious Sam 
Pissing Shit 
1. Quake
2. Doom2
3. Halo
4. Unreal Tournament
5. Unreal
6. Aliens VS Predator
7. Aliens VS Predator 2
8. Duke Nukem 3D
9. Jedi Knight 2 (once u get the lightsabre!)
10. Deus Ex 
Title Cannot Be Empty (yea Right...) 
your bottom 10

so you`ve done it again?
well cmon top 10 is boring

i`ll put my rock bottom fps

i think it was called witchaven 2 (was it an fps like hexen? i hope my memory serves me right) 
My Top Ten 
1. Nightmare 3D
2. Nightmare 3D
3. Nightmare 3D
4. Nightmare 3D
5. Cube
6. Nightmare 3D
7. Nightmare 3D
8. Quake (1-3)
9. Nightmare 3D
10. Nightmare 3D 
Top 10 
1. Quake1
2. Quake2
3. Half-Life
4. Quake3
5. Doom1/2
6. Unreal
7. Duke Nukem 3D
and many more... 
10...top.... 
1.Thief1/2
2.System Shock 2
3.Ultima Underworld1/2
4.Unreal
5.Quake1/2/3
6.Daikatana
7.Return To Castle Wolfenstein
8.Ultimate Doom
9.Terra Nova
10.Wolf3d/Spear

but my #1 game of all time for me, is Alice!! just love the damn game. :) 
><((((�> 
There is only a few that I have enjoyed enough to bother mentioning.

1. Quake (multiplayer)

2. Doom (single player)

3. CPMA (based on Quake III engine)

4. UT and UT2003 (fun with bots)

5. Day of Defeat (!)

Despite the fact that I despise realistic war simulators on principle, I was dragged into DoD because it is the game everyone plays on the office lan. I hated it with a passion at first, but I have grown to love it over time. It can be fun on lan with 20 people in the game.

Elite force is also worth a mention as one of the few single player FPS games that I enjoyed enough to actually finish. 
Hehe 
Yeah, Elite Force was fun as hell...how could i forget about it?!

anyway. i also forgot to Arx Fatalis, which rules imo. :) 
UWF 
disagree on sin (but i see it`s your wildcard). otherwise your list is pretty similar to mine. i remember duke3d well. getting lost in the puzzles. oh, and the dollars to the strippers. mmmm.... 
I Know Everyone Is Going To Hate Me... 
but I haven't seen much mention of Half Life on here. It would definantly be in my top 5, if only because of the extraordinary singleplayer campaign; and so would CounterStrike (yes everyone is 13 years old and hax, but I have had some tremendously fun times with my friends in that game). Wolfenstein 3D (the original of course) is also what got me into fps games, and doom2 after that.

Then, of course, quake.

And it was all over. 
Half-Life 
Im not here to knock half-life, as I never played much of it, but I wondered if anyone else found it as hard as I did? I downloaded the demo and even on easy mode I could not pass a single room without dying multiple times. It took me forever just to beat the demo and the gameplay was so ridiculously frustrating to me I never even thought about picking up the actual game. Did anyone else find it so hard? 
H-hour 
it`s hard if you go in guns blazing when the marines are there, you can sort of get away with it against the aliens. Other than that, after a few minor adjustments, it`s reasonable on medium. I`m not a great FPS player but I`ve played tougher games.

Basically, cover is very important as are grenades for the mp40 and remember that the alt fire on the shotgun is your friend. 
H-Hour 
I never found that with Half Life. But what nitin says is true. Some real good stuff in there that you have missed out on. It's still not to late ;) 
And Don't Forget 
the alternative fire for the gauss gun - I kicked myself when I found that; so many missed opportunities :) Now when I pick up a new weapon in a game, I always check the alt fire.
Half-Life provided some satisfying multi-gib sequences, but only after you had applied observation and deduction. All the clues were there in the maps, but you had to pay attention.
Don't start playing on hard skill ( actually I think that goes for any FPS )
The AR grenades got me through some seriously unpleasant SP situations...

And jumping puzzles that dump you to the bottom of a low-g intestinal tract are just plain boring. Hrmph. 
I Recently Played Through HL Again... 
and i was pleasantly surprised. The graphics had dated somewhat of course, but it seemed pretty atmospheric, and I found it a lot of fun, all in all. Weapons are very satisfying, and the gradual increase in firepower makes it all the more enjoyable (no weapon, to crowbar, to pistol, to....gluon gun!), personal favorites being the shotgun and magnum.

Scripted sequences are not overdone, and AI is never depressingly poor, which is a bonus. However, I felt the game hit its peak around the time you meet the marines, and it goes downhill from there.

You think you`re having a shit time on the jumpy puzzle with the stupid floaty teleport balls of infinite crapitude, but then you go to Xen. It had potential I admit, and a change in scenery seems like a good idea, but in the end i really hated it and ended up skipping sections. The end boss was fairly good, as they go, despite appearing to be a lardass embryo with cerebal palsy...and the end? I`m not sure if its a good ending, maybe the sequel will make it seem better, as the story progresses. So it was a little unsatisfying at the end, but mainly great to play, and it left me very excited about HL2. 

1. Counter-Strike
2. Half-Life
3. Goldeneye

have there been any other FPS games??? 
Mine... 
1.Doom
2.Quake I
3.Halflife
4.Unreal I
5.Duke Nukem 3D(and some of its expanasions)
6.Serious Sam II
Well you can see I seldom play MP games :D 
Mine, With Some 3rd Persons You Have To Count Up There ;P 
1. Quake 1
2. Unreal
3. Doom/Doom 2
4. Return to Castle Wolfenstein
5. Half-LIfe
6. Aliens vs. Predator 2
7. Unreal Tournament/Unreal Tournament 2k3 (same frikkin game)
8. Deus Ex
9. Elite Force
10. Jedi Outcast

These aren't in the list since they are technically 3rd-person, but Max Payne and Alice would be fighting for the #2 spot 
3rd Person Games... 
I think a lot of us, once we've got used to the 3rd person feel, count 3PS games as FPS games as some of the more prominent ones are so similar in ethos and vibe even if the POV is set back a few yards.... 
Hmm...hard To Choose 
1) Half-Life
2) Unreal Tournament
3) Quake III Arena
4) Star Wars: Jedi Outcast
5) Unreal
Bottom of the list prolly goes to Doom. And Doom 2. Never was a fan... 
Hmmmmmm 
In no order

Quake.
Doom 2.
Half-Life.
Unreal.
Unreal Tournament.
Halo.
Operation Flashpoint.

And for 3rd person...

Max Payne.
GTA3.
Enclave demo ( :D ) 
You're Forgetting 
Sentinel. 
My Games 
Games that totally hooked me and ones that made me want to play many user made maps (in the order of encounter):

Wolf3D and Spear of Destiny
DooM 1&2
Duke Nukem 3D
Quake
Quake 2
Unreal and Return to NaPali
Half-Life and Opposing Force

Games that I liked but when I finished, that was it (IOW, haven't sought out user maps):

HeXeN 1 & 2 and Portal of Preavus
Heretic
Blood and Crypic Passage (really good settings and fun when it didn't get too hard)
RtCW (too bad there's no SP mission pack)
Medal of Honour and Spearhead (techically excellent but too many times the scripted sequences forced you to move at the game designer's pace and not at my usual slow one)
Red Faction (I cheated to kill the boss because I found it impossible at this point - it had silliness built in but was actually a fun game)

Games that I wanted to finish but crashed or never ran (commercial CD's here - no blue copies or cracks)

Heretic 2 (too bad really)
Sin (I still want to play it)
Daikatana (crashes in the prison)

Games that I thoroughly enjoyed and wished they could continue on:

System Shock 2 (really slow gameplay but very interesting and rewarding)
Wheel of Time (excellent settings and gameplay)
Undying (best horror game ever, IMHO)
Deus Ex (by allowing flexibility, it really personalized the experience playing it. story and settings were interesting - NPCs were the most human yet)

Games that made me laugh and/or puke at thier absolute horridness (I only lasted minutes before bailing out):

Witchaven I & II (actually I think WHII opens with a very nicely made and long running animated sequence with opening credits before dumping you into grade 5 graphics)
Tekwar (with William Shatner having hissy fits)
Corridor 9

Games that I'm hoping will keep me going:

Half-Life 2
DooM 3
Deus-Ex 2 
Another List 
1. Quake
2. Doom/2
3. Blood
4. Duke3d
5. Unreal
6. Quake2
7. Unreal Tournament
8. Undying 
More Of The Same 
Based upon how much time I have wasted (err...ummm enjoyed) playing them

1. Quake
2. Half-Life
3. Serious Sam (Both)
4. Doom (1 & 2)
5. Unreal
(repeat as needed) 
Top Three 
1. 125
2. 107
3. 93

Those are my all time top three frames-per-second.

Wot?
Wot? 
Sigh 

Kell... 
WOT = Wheel of Time

Very nice Unreal (or UT?) engine game. I bought it because some maps were made by Kew - an excellent mapper of medieval style settings. 
All In The Game... 
1 Quake1
2 Scourge of Armagon
3 Dissolution of Eternity
4 Unreal
5 Turok
6 Abe's Exodus
7 Hexen
8 Quake2
9 JackJazz 1&2
0 New Computer, which in particular is quiet a good game, maybe the best.(mmm) 
Pff! 
1. Quake
2. Quake ]|[ The Sawkage
3. Unreal
4. Unreal Tournament
5. Doom
6. Duke Nukem 3D
7. Blood
8. Half-Life
9. Return to Castle Wolfenstein
10. Aliens vs Predator

Into t3h next ten would go: Kingpin, Hexen, older ones (wolf3d, spear of destiny, heretic, blake stone, mebbe?), Redneck Rampage, sequels to Unreals and AvPs, Daikatana, System Shock etc.

And where is Cube? ;) 
Oh! 
Undying was pretty cool too, but AvP crushes it in the scariness =)

And I disliked Soldier of Fortune, dunno why.
Mebbe because it sucks.
But that doesn't seem to be logical, because Vondur sucks too but I like some of his maps :E 
Oh! 
And I forgot about Enclave :E
It's shame. 
Yes Yes Misyu... 
...but can you explain if there's any way to get more control over the fighting in Enclave, other than wildly button mashing and hoping you're quicker than the enemy. I.e. is there any combination of movement and attacks that actually does something??

I know, I know, but I will keep asking until I get a satisfactory answer one way or the other...sorry. 
Shamb 
PCZone just reviewed enclave, and they said the same thing about the combat, so there is no hope, a shame as otherwise the game is t3h r4wk! 
Hmm 
Presuming it's not a really dumb journo (I have seen a review complaining that the ice wand in Alice did nothing but produce walls). 

if it's in a game rag, or on the internet, it must be true. 
Grindy,,, 
Yup, PCZone, the last bastion of accurate and fair gaming journalism. Ahem. 
Haha 
your just pissed that they slagged u off about DKT :D 
Hmm 
DKT was a good game, just you had to play it coop on your own. And skip the first chapter (as designed by Stevie "I'm fucking Romero so I get to make a chapter" Case) 
Daz... 
...they sucked way before that. God do people still remember that?? I never saw it of course, don't buy the fucking rag. 
Uh 
sorry? they slagged off Shamb personally? that would be excellent!
I have no idea about these things 'cause I likewise do not buy such rags. And by rags I mean 'British journalism'. Geez, you think gaming mags are bad? You yanks should take a gander at the NME - pricless stuff. And by 'priceless stuff' I mean 'worthless shit'. 
Kell 
There's a US version of NME, called Blender. Recently they've been a topic of discussion because of their '50 worst music acts of all time' article. Its educational stuff... I never realised that The Doors were the 37th worst band ever!

The article is here:
http://classicrock.about.com/b/a/018881.htm

Now that's shitty journalism, although even this pales in front of the altar of retardedness that is NME 
Hmm 
Who you calling yanks? 
My List Sp+mp 
SP: System Shock, Half-Life, Quake, Sin.

System Shock is probably the most under-rated game of all time. Atmosphereic, and scary as hell! Gameplay was sometimes limited by the interface due to its complexity. But after a while I came to beleive this was a deliberate design, to regulate when you could do certain things. I got this game after playing Half-Life a million times, and was "shocked" to find it beter in almost every way. This is also I think the first FPS type game that offered a multi-player co-op form of SP. Up to four people could work together to finish the SP game, very cool IMO.

Half-Life was hard at first for me but it has a different playstyle/mindset than quake. I remember geting frustrated as hell at some of the puzzles, simplistic as many are they took skill and practice to get right. At the time Half-Life was the scariest game I had ever played. It had atmosphere, and great gameplay, both in SP and MP. It is in my top five all time greatest games.

Quake is in my mind what started the FPS adiction for me. I had played other games, (Duke3D, Wolfy, some others) but Quake really sucked me into the genre. Dark, scary, fast as hell gameplay, it made for a real adrenaline rush.

Sin in my mind was also rather underrated, when it came out. Sure it was buggy as hell, but it didnt take long for 2015 and ritual to get things straight. Once it was patched it had gameplay elements that (for me at least) had never been experienced before. It lacked any sort of creepy element, and didnt have much of a MP experience. But it was still an enjoyable game and still is.

MP I have to break down into two types DM and Team Play, as these are two distinct MP elements.

DM: Quake...hands down this is really the only DM I come back to. I tried q2/3, Sin, Unreal/T, Half-Life, and a bunch of others. NOTHING compares in DM. Even in the team play modes I list below the game play in the quake versions is best.

Team: QWTF (no not the silly Mege-TF), Q3F, TFC, CTF (Zoid style)

Now I know my first three picks are more or less the same game on the surface, but thats just the surface. They all have totaly different playstyles in practice. QWTF is by far the fastest most brutal of the three, Q3F is second, and TFC is like a rest home compared to the other two. Hands down QWTF is the most fun to be had in a team oriented MP mod...at least to me.

CTF Zoid style I didnt try this until 2000-01, but it was worth the wait. If I cant find a TF server Ill set up some CTF-bots and go to town 3 wave style. 
Bah 
No.1 Teamplay MP game is Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory without any doubt!

It blows everything away with a special ops detpack! And its the first team based MP game I've played where team mates actually help each other out 100% of the time!

I've seen medics with hardly any health leap into a room full of enemies to revive an injured team-mate, I've seen soldiers take bullets for another member of the team because he was carrying a critical item, etc. I've never seen this level of team spirit in any game before, and it makes it so much fun to play.

So go download it CardO & Shambler! :D 
Never Played It... 
sounds like another fortress knock-off. Id say its not the mod really but the "people" your playing with. Good team-mates can make almost any mod a real pleasure. 
Tra-la-la-la 
Quake and Quake II aside, my all time favorite game would have to be Dues Ex. Whenever I even hear the name, or see the name in print, endorphines consume my brain and put me in a better world where even though plaques consume us, a world government rules us, and AI's plot against us,they somehow got rid of all the cynical, sarcastic flamer types that infest this world like gnats in the murk. 

though plaques consume us

Yeah, dental hygiene is a global problem :P 
Further Down The Murky Spiral 
So you played the secret mission (obtained at the Chunnel entrance in Paris)where Denton is sent to England to save the British from their Sunday afternoon tea and crumpets routine. I thought I was the only one aware of it. Kell, I now feel that we are like . . . brothers. 
The Lesson Here Of Course 
Is to never, never automate your spell checker ;) 
Chunnel 
ROFL, thats fucking fantastic! 
The 10 Fps I Get In Halo 
diodnt bothered to check if this joke already ocured in this thread oO 
Lolz 
yah man that is a funny joke :D 
Tomb Raider Legend 
I'm a Q1/DN3D/Q3A guy, but I reckon Tomb Raider Legend http://tombraider.com/legend may be the best game i've ever played. IMHO it's easily the best TR.

Don't know where to begin but the models and maps are stand-out. Lara's outfits are classy and sexy. Check out the goth model here http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/4793/trgothem4.jpg

Does have a few tricky puzzles, so kill-and-run
gamers mightn't like it... The only real downer is that cheats are only enabled *after* the game is completed - so you have to find some one else's game saves from the web in this case. 
Hmm.. 
1. quake
2. unreal tournament
3. quake 2
4. half life 2
5. half life
6. quake 3

think that's pretty much it, i haven't played any others for long enough to count them 
Womb Raider Is Not A FPS 
and is not erotic enough anyways. 
Old Skool 
2003 was teh funny! 
FPS 
Duke3D: Your ass, your face... what's the difference. 

1. Quake
2. Hexen
3. Prey
4. Duke3d
5. Doom3
6. Doom2/1
7. HalfLife2

All the ones I can remember at this point. 
:P 
1. Quake
2. Quake 3
3. Half-Life
4. Duke3d
5. Doom

I didn't play anything else :) 
Hm 
1. Quake 1
2. Quake 1
3. Quake 1
4. Quake 1
5. Quake 1
6. Quake 1
7. Quake 1
8. Quake 1
9. Quake 1
10. Quake 1

It'd be alot easier to make a list of FPS's i hate . . .

Mind you, Undying should be on th list somewhere. 
Imho 
1. Duke Nukem 3D
2. Doom
3. Half Life
4. Tomb Raider Legend
5. Quake
6. Re-Volt
7. Quake III Arena
8. Tomb Raider
9. Hexen II
10. Return to Castle Wolfenstein 

Ehhhhhhhh fucking philistines, not a single mention of blood, but the vastly inferior duke3d :P 
Err. 
1. Quake.
2. Doom.
3. Half-Life 2.
4. Strife.
5. Doom II.
6. Blood.
7. Half-Life.
8. Quake III Arena.
9. Heretic.
10. Quake 2.

Go play Strife, you heathens. 
<3 Biff 
I knew you wouldn't dissapoint biff. 
My Taste... 
1. Quake
2. Doom III
3. Half Life 2
4. Call Of Duty 2
5. Medal Of Honor - In Front Line
6. Nightmare Creatures (I and II)
7. Tomb Raider (First to Last)
8. Halo (I and II)
9. Return To Castle Wolfenstein
10. Doom (I,II, Evilution, Plutonia Experience, Final Doom, etc..)

Please not I hate DM and multiplayer generally 
Tomb Raider Isn't An FPS. :| 
Sorry, but I can't bear to hold it in any more -- I was going to mention it when somebody else nominated it earlier [along with a racing game!?] but I got momentarily distracted [because it's not really very important].

/rant 
Eh Sure, I Have An Opinion 
01. Quake
02. Doom/2
03. Blood
04. Unreal/UT
05. Duke Nukem 3D
06. Undying
07. Quake2
08. Quake3
09. Soldier of Fortune
10. Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold 
Re FPS 
I know TR isn't a FPS , but open a Q1 console and type "chase_active 1"....

Anyway - I see Duke3d and Quake were released in the same year (1996). Quake has now had 4 sequels (QW:ET just released here). Duke has - ummmm, let me count - one... Oh, NONE! Laugh. 
Well 
He hasn't had any FPS sequels, but he's had a bunch of 3rd-person and side-scroller sequels. Not the same, I know, just a minor technical point. :) 
Whot !! 
Tomb Raider Isn't An FPS.

Errr... So how do you call such a game ? Excuse me but you are the hero, you have guns, and you shots opponents.. Appart the fact you have puzzles to solve.. it is not so different from Quake and the keys you have to look for... Or am I missing something ? 
Jpl: 
"FPS" stands for "First Person Shooter" so if the game is third-person, it can't be an FPS. 
Oh Crap. 
I forgot about Kingpin, which I'm currently playing again again -- and I guess Rune would fall under TPS, but daamn, it's good. 
Kingpin 
honestly, what�s so great about this game ? There are some good ideas like the Pawn-O-Matic, but:

-levels are really really small, I guess because of the sucky AI which couldn�t handle larger maps

-the weapons are unusable (realism lol)

-the sidekicks are stupid and annoying as hell, standing in your way half of the time

-in "real" mode (...) I�ve never seen more annoying cheating bots, no matter how one sneaks up on them, they nail you one millisecond after you fire, and kill you with one shot while you need to unload half your ammo to kill them.

But the swearing is kewl, yo. 
On Topic 
1. Quake / Doom
(the gameplay of those two can�t and won�t be replicated with modern graphical demands)
2. Quake 3
3. Quake 2
4. Duke 3D
5. AvP 1/2
(one of the few really scary games I know)
6. Serious Sam
7. Heretic / HeXen
8. SiN
9. NOLF
(one of few FPS with good story)
10. Wolfenstein 3D 
Kingpin 
maps be small, but they are well made. 
Mine Not Really Top10 
Quake
Jedi Knight
(Deus Ex)
QuakeWorld
Quake 3
Call of Duty
Half-Life
Undying (unfortunately I never got far and now lost the disc, it was creepy as hell though)
Painkiller (kinda)

I really enjoyed Wolf3D, Heretic and Hexen as well as Doom earlier. Never touched them again though.
At the moment I play Dark Forces, woah. RTCW was nice until I got stuck and lost interest.

I want to play KISS and the good levels in Daikatana (where they are?). Also I should play System Shock 1+2. 
Daikatana 
eps 2 and 3 are what you want. 
Scary Games / DN3d Sequels 
I started playing System Shock II... and it looked ~very~ moody/scary. It demanded learning a new game interface though, which stopped me playing it... "Don't have time to play with [myself -DN3d]" every friggin new interface. Thats partly what makes Q1 a classic ;>

Re Duke sequels - Yeah, your right Z. but i don't think Brossaud was on board. And the ones I saw never had Duke-Speak quite right either. %< 
Kingpin 
I agree about the bots and all, but I really enjoy the design and style of the game -- and have always had a soft spot for it =D 
Marathon! 
mostly for the story, which is a strange way to choose a FPS... 
In the top of 'TOP 10 FPS' must be id' product (Doom1,2 or Quake1) in any case 
Nah, 
Doom and Quake go without saying, but after they fired most of thier designers the games took a turn for the worse.

I'd much prefer to play Quake I than any of the others and I didn't like Doom3 at all; cheesy gameplay, tedious repitition of actions and not what we were expecting after playing the beta - which was incredible. 

FLORIAN 
Updates? 
it's been six years since this thread started, anyone want to revise their top-10 lists? Surely there have been some good FPS games since 2002.

I would at least find a spot for Team Fortress 2 on there somewhere. 
I'll Give It A Go 
my 10 current favourite fps games, no particular order ;)

Quake
Half-Life 2 (+ episodes)
Left 4 Dead
Call of Duty 4
Doom 2
Half-Life
Wolfenstein ET
Bioshock
Unreal Torunament
Duke 3D

And I suppose an honourable mention must go to Prey, because its one of the few fps games I played through twice ;) 
Hmm 
Also, CoD4 somewhere...

For the ending of the SP plot as much as the awesome multiplayer 
MEtl 
Same as before for the top 3. Would be adding Far Cry, HL2, and others below them. Oh and probably L4D too, coop FTW. 
Mine 
Quake
The Ultimate Doom
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Heretic
Far Cry
Q3A
Unreal/UT
Quake2
Catacombs 3d (nostalgia spot)
Duke3d 
Arrrrr 
Dues Ex
No One Lives Forever
Far Cry
Fear
Quake
Doom 2
System Shock 2
Quake 3 Arena
Duke3D
Prey

Honorable Mentions: Unreal, Blood, System Shock, Rise of The Triad, MOH: Allied Assault, Dues Ex: Invisible War (doesn't measure up to the first, but still better than most), Quake 4 
OK: 
Half Life 1
Quake
Quake LIVE (at the moment im loving this)
Quake 2
Doom 3
AVP1
Deus Ex: Invisible War (sorry but I liked it better)
HL2
UT3
Blood 
Hey 
Deus Ex: Invisible War (sorry but I liked it better)

no apologies necessary. The critics were much too harsh. I forgot to mention Half Life and the add on, er, brain fart, not Blue Shift, but the other one, as honorable mentions.

Am I the only one who found many sections of HL2 tedious, and the gravity gun gimmicky? I admit I got about an hours worth of fun from the GG, but come on . . . 

Malice, The Reckoning. 
HT 
Am I the only one who found many sections of HL2 tedious, and the gravity gun gimmicky?

Yes ;) 
I Wouldn't Have It Any Other Way 

No 

Kingpin Sof2 
kingpin life of crime for MP DM was a blast!
Soldier of fortune 2 was very popular for MP DM 
Not At All 
HL2 was pretty bad. Peaked at maybe a 5/10. 

Yeah, take that 5 years ago DaZ! 
Meanwhile, Back In 2014. 
HL2 >>>>> HL1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> scarecrow's so-called opinion. 
Never Been Fan Of HL 
what is exceptional with that game
on the other hand, hf2 was pretty great 
Not Sure If I Have Been Posting My List 
but now it's something like this

thiefTMA
thiefGold
Q titles
wolf2009
wheel of time
undying
H titles
D titles

some other 

i loved HL. It was the first shooter than really made you feel like you were going somewhere. You progress through distinct areas with a somewhat vague storyline keeping you company. It was very cool and one of the few things I wish Quake had done. 

I got that experience from Duke3d, Blood, and Unreal. But the settings were more interesting with better level design. By the time HL came along, other than the tentacle, it was more of the same but dryer and particularly linear. 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.