News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Single Player 200 Brush Jailbreak Contest!
Hi.

Its been awhile since I posted - busy with a job. ANYWAY, Ive started a contest:

- single player quake 1 map
- 200 brushes maximum
- complete texture freedom (custom or id)
- the plot/point of the map must be escaping from a jail/prison and the player starting in their cell...

Keep in mind you can have the cell already open to escape or it may be upon the player to find a way out, for example:

Perhaps the cell has bars that are broken and mangled and the player can fit through them - OR - the player must find a way to open the bars?

Ill try to submit a map of my own for this, but I dont have as much free time to dedicate myself to it. However, the 200 brush limit should add some ease to this contest in a sense (that I dont want to detail right now as Im going to sleep).

Deadline is: May 31

Best entries will be in a pak @ Pherrous http://pherrous.phaitaccompli.com - for now Im thinking a pack of 5 winning maps - this could/may change though. Well see!
Good luck getting entries. 
Try 
also posting on some other forums.

ps. havent you got any exams? man, i wish i had a job right now. fuck the washing and ironing and cleaning when you get home. just play and watch videos after work every day.
mmm, i`ll be a good house-husband! 
Hmm 
Well, I made mine with these really cool twisted bars, but I only had 4 brushes left for the rest of the map... 
LOL 
You people...

Nope Im not in college yet, just working. 
/me Has College Finals Too 
I would love to participate, if I could map for crap.

This sounds like an interesting theme though. I`m looking forward to the results. 
Im Afraid... 
...like nonny said... it would be tough to make a convincing jail with bars... unless its all forcefields(clip brushes)... heh..
the brush limit makes sticking to a theme very unappealing.

howabout ... 20 monster limit for best combat sequence. ? 
A Contest... 
....right.... 
your not still sour from the Natural Terrain contest, are ya, Shambler? :) 
Yes. 

Grumble 
If you dont want to participate because you loathe contests/the idea, then how about a nice warm cup of STFU! ;)

Anyway,.. I meant that lightly - I respect you all. Hmm.. Im not saying you have to use bars for the cells, it was merely an example.

And frankly I dont give a shite if no one participates - cause I understand. But I thought I would try. *shrug* 
I Actually Like 
blackpoe`s idea, limited monster count for most enjoyable experience. 20`s not enough though, how about 30-40 so we also get some decent sized maps? 
Ok 
Rules:

- jail setting
- goal: escape from jail
- the jail itself does NOT have to be typical bar cell jail (as stated before but this seems to have been confused from the *example*, sorry)
- 200 brush limit
- 40 maximum monsters
- player must start within their cell - the way out may already be there, OR the player may have to find a way out 
Basic Clip Brush Forcefield 
And a stone in back that can be pushed out. Several triggers surround a func_train. The train has 20 or so waypoints in a line, and waits at each one to be retriggered. The effect is, as you keep on pushing (and touching more triggers), the block keeps moving, so it`s like you`re pushing the block out of the way.

Find an axe or shotgun, and you`re home free. Or on your way anyway.

If only I were good enough to do the rest of the map. ;) 
the problem with that is it needs custom progs. stock quake qc doesn't supported 'stop+wait for retrigger' trains. 
Oh 
I thought trains would stop at a waypoint that had a wait value. *shrugs* 
Well, 
they will wait, but they won't wait for a retrigger.

the hipents do have that ability though... 
Hmm 
My post was merely making the point that you souldn`t impose lots of different restrictions, (eg, monster limit AND brush limit AND theme).

Which applies even more now that you`ve added ANOTHER restriction to the contest (although I do think limited monsters would make a good contest). 
Give It A Try ... 
Count me in if this is still on. Getting back to mapping so this is a good exercise. Any others in for submissions? 
Fuckit 
nevermind its off 
Phait 
You are unstable. 
Phait 
Like a tau lepton. 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.