News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
New Q1SP From [Kona]
Well I think Qexpo is next month and Daz just released a Q1DM, so why not continue the 'buildup' with a Q1SP. Two smallish levels but with plenty of detail with MXOxide and Than textures. Also some Grunts and Enforcers as used in Nihilore.

Download: http://ethereal-hell.telefragged.com/guncotton.zip
Screenshots: http://ethereal-hell.telefragged.com/mylevels/guncotton/index.html

[edit: fixed download link]
kona, you rock, how you can manage to release so many good maps constantly surprises me :)

ill give this one a play in a sec 
Reminder: First-run Demo 

B0rked File? 
Has anyone else tried opening the zip file? I've tried downloading it twice and both times the file is b0rked. 
A New Map At Last 
Nice to see you're still releasing maps... i say this because there's been some months without new Kona's Q1SP maps... i get used to see new releases quite frequently hehe.... i'll download this inmediately 
RPG: Yes, The ZIP 
seems to be corrupt. [Kona], can you please verify this ? 
B0rked File! 
Yeah RPG, seems like the .zip is broken. I can't open it either. :(
Screenies look promising so fix this Kona, I wanna play that map. 
BOrked File 2 
Yes I get the same thing, when I try to open it, it says, "76132 bytes missing in zip file"
Also the title bar of the download window says "downloading guncotton.zip", but in the progress bar it calls it "gcotton.zip" whether that has anything to do with anything I don't know. Anyway good to see another [Kona] Qsp map, even if I can't see it :) 
Here A New Address: 
Can someone change the address in the news to
<a http://ethereal-hell.telefragged.com/guncotton.zip>http://ethereal-hell.telefragged.com/guncotton.zip</a>
Thanks.
Fileplanet is totally fucked and won't even let me upload a new file. 
404 ERROR File Not Found 
Is what I get from the new addy :( 
I Think You Got The Link Wrong 
http://ethereal-hell.telefragged.com/guncotton.zip

is all you need

Just remove the bit bellow from the addy and it works fine
>http://ethereal-hell.telefragged.com/guncotton.zip</a>

I have it now anyway :)
Thank You 
Sweetness! 
downloading! 
Fuck You [kona] 
damnit, I was going to download this map and thrash you about it being horrible and just a retextured version of your past maps, but fuck, this was accually a good map. :(

you might still be making you're standard 2 floor deal, but I have to say that the architecture in the map is worlds beyond your past stuff, and the gameplay is top notch.

so good work I guess, but next time, make it shititer so I can insult you more, k? 
:( 
High quality map from Kona as always.

I took a demo of my less than impressive run through the maps, but something went wrong. My playing of the start map runs fine (and an impressive playing it is). Once the next map loads you can see that map for a second and then it goes to a grey screen with the loading sign on it. All of the messages that should be printed during the demo are within a second. The game doesn't crash, but it doesn't do anything else after that either unless I load another map.

I don't know how to rescue my demo. 
Duder! 
yay!

to small, sub 50 monster maps, including a start map.

the first thing that jumped out at me was the fucking amazing architecture! everything is predominantly 45 degree angles, but everything just seems to flow into everything else. i had a few problems moving though, because of the sometimes complex floor sections, but overall it was topnotch.

good gameplay as well, everything is straight forward, without any getting lost. weapons were about adequate on normal, but i think the grenade launcher wasn't necessary.

there were a few good scares, but the one in the first map, accompanied by the centerprint "..." was the greatest, i think.

the second map was logically more difficult. the variety of monsters helps a lot here, and it never got boring even though all of the monsters except a half dozen or so were base monsters. the skins for the monsters work good to help distinguish themselves.

a couple of cool ambient noises, but could have been used more extensively. i found the armor skin to be rather pointless, as it's just a regular armor.

i found the silverkey room in the second map to be a bit tricky though. it was also annoying to see monsters just pop into existance without even a teleflash... was really wierd, although i did get a jump or two from that.

overall, an amazing map, albeit a bit short. great work, [Kona]!

http://www.planetquake.com/necros/misc/demos.zip
watch me play on normal! whee! 
T3h M4pp0r! 
Love this, just watched dranz play through it on normal and the architecture looks frikkin sweet. Lighting is great too. I especially liked the way the map blends seamlessly from outdoor to indoor and in some areas its mixed between the two as well, nice!

Keep em' coming Kona 
NIce Map 
Just played through it avoiding the Shambler in the end cause I only got some shotgun shells left... Too bad I love shooting at corpses ;).

Overall I found it very fun to play altho, as necro already stated, a bit short. You did a good job with this map Kona, nice architecture, nice atmosphere, nice gameplay, what do I want more... 
I Can't Believe It :( 
I forgot to record a first-time demo. :(

Good maps, though. It would have been cool if it was a bit longer, but that may have detracted from it and made it seem repetitive. Architecture and textures were pretty cool throughout. Having atrium-based combat was rather fun, but like necros said, some of the floor sections impared movement a bit too much. The reskinned armor was a bit too much, but I enjoyed the other skins. The prediction aiming of the monsters was very cool and added to the difficulty in a good way. I was especially impressed with the grenadier.

And YAY! No snakeman! :)

Also, LOL at scampie. 

Once the next map loads you can see that map for a second and then it goes to a grey screen with the loading sign on it.

Yeah, I got exactly the same thing - must be because we recorded across level transitions :/
Shame, I had quite an amusing first-run through as well - watching my repeated attempts at the second secret would probably be good for a laff.

Apart from that, the only negatives I experienced are as previously stated - the uneven floors and the disorienting brevity; I found myself back in the start map and thought I must have taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

Great use of texture/feature mix - the way the metal supports embed themselves in the rock faces is very well done.
The atrium combat, as someone said, is very interesting; sort of like a slow deathmatch against well armed but clueless players. More room for the nonhuman creatures next time though.

+++end of line+++ 
Nice Map 
yeah, i was a bit afraid to meed usual kona's 2 storey/lots of doors style, but fortunately this map is a bit different. everything is rather nice there. keep on, kona! 
Cool 
The layout is not the usual on Kona's SP maps, anyways i like both layout types.
The gameplay style is quite familiar, wich is good.
The architecture, textures, illumination and some ambient sounds are very good combinated to create the enviroment-theme that is supposed to be.
Quite refinated job. 
Well Then The Demo Is Lost 
Spolier alert.

The gist of it was: I played through most of the map being reasonably cautious; got the first secret; once the message about the slipgate opening message displayed I was in good shape, so I got cocky and went tear-assing around the room shooting everything that moved with the sng; was still in good shape so I bunny hopped my way to the transporter, had too much momentum to backpeddal away from the shambler and got my face mauled. After that there was a long string of profanity. 
Cheers 
hehe pushplay, the shambler was my last attempt to kill you, and it worked.

it may seem a bit dm'ish because it is actually a team arena map, or was. the first map is one huge arena, and the second map is sort of split in 3 arena's connected by corridors. now that i mentioned it you'll probably notice. anyway, it was to be for electro's mod.
thanks for the comments guys! 
It's Good, Isn't It? 
And (in Tochris, anyway) Speedy's "Elbrus" skybox is an excellent match. (At least, I think it's Speedy's.)

Short and sweet, and a right proper arse-kicker. Me likey. Me maybe even update site and say so.

Me go back map now. 

Me likey. Me maybe even update site and say so.
Me go back map now.

Good grief, I hope that's not how you talked in the interview 0.o 
No, But Five More Minutes And I Would Have! 
I've only got one pair of brain cells...

...and I think one of them is an impostor!

In other nudes, I have regained the mammalian stage of evolution and should reach primate by sometime this afternoon.

Also, four more days to broadband. 
Another Eyecatching Map By [Kona] 
I've always enjoyed [Kona]'s imagination in geometry and textures and his ability to create some very interesting and tense worlds. Guncotten is a visual treat and made to be studied. The ambient sounds follow you through and make it feel like you're in the visera of some wacky world far from home. I had fun testing it and playing this current release. The only problem for me was that that final teleport didn't lead to more Guncotten. After staring at an empty buffet table for awhile, having this nice spicy treat show up is a pleasure. 
W00t 
map-reviewage is posted [along with another map as well].

http://www.planetquake.com/underworld/index.html 
Just When You Thought Everything Was Dead... 
Kona comes raging back with another map that has improved tenfold what it means to be [Kona] style

Amazing, interesting, original and unrepetitious archtecture. You're following an exponential trend in the quality of your maps' architecture, not to mention your genius with texture combinations.

Yes I'm still alive...it's just... nothing's been happing... 
UWF 
You give the map pack a lot of praise and then only a 16/20? 
Pushplay 
I still found the map quite easy to play through on hard skill, more challenging gameplay might have helped here  
How To Fix That Demo 
[quote]
#13 posted by pushplay [24.86.74.102] on 2003/06/13 21:34:06
High quality map from Kona as always.

I took a demo of my less than impressive run through the maps, but something went wrong. My playing of the start map runs fine (and an impressive playing it is). Once the next map loads you can see that map for a second and then it goes to a grey screen with the loading sign on it. All of the messages that should be printed during the demo are within a second. The game doesn't crash, but it doesn't do anything else after that either unless I load another map.

I don't know how to rescue my demo.
[/quote]
You are gonna need the file that comes with qdqstats17.zip called compile.zip. Inside are programs that can split a single demo on multiple maps, into multiple demos. You can then use your demtool to add playdemo commands at the end of the first demo to link to the second demo. This way, the demo plays back correctly. If this sounds confusing just send me the demo at yuckstuff[at]hotmail[dot]com (too many fucking spammers got my email already). 
Amrik 
Could I send you my multi-map demo too? I don't even have the tools you mention, let alone the competence to use them, but it seems people wnt to see this 'first run through' thing... 
Exiting Due To Signal SIGSEGV 
Thought I'd try a Quake level after long time away and get the GP fault noted above. Is this an XP problem or am I doing something wrong? (I haven't done any Quakin' for quite sometime and time dims the memory ...)

Can anyone help?

Regards
Mike Woodham 
Mike, Maybe The 
mapping thread would be more suited for this question. Anyway, what program are you trying to run that displays this message?

AFAIK, there are no major XP-related Q1 editor/engine/tool problems (I run XP Home myself). The only time I've seen such a strange error message was in Qoole99 and that was definitely a bug in Qoole (and not the only one ...).

[Kona]: I can only add to the others' praise above; another great map with some interesting architecture and gameplay. We want more!

Kell: You might check out LMPC at http://www.planetquake.com/demospecs for demo tools. 
SIGSEGV... 
wow... i remember getting that error in doom... no help here though...

also, UWF, your reviews were much better than before, no giving away of the secrets. ;) 
I'm just trying to run the Guncotton .pak from standard Quake.

Ahaaa! Just a mo .... 
OK, I give up.

Tried the Microsoft fix and several others. Seems as though this is a known problem with XP. I'll try GL Quake ... 
Yeah Nice Reviewage... 
not sure that other map deserved a score that high though 
OK, GL Quake works. Pity 'cause I just don't like it, especially the way it handles water. Never mind, I will now play the map. 
Try... 
winquake.

NT/2000 can't run quake.exe, becuase it's a dos program. 
Http://www.planetquake.com/underworld/quakerev 
UWF why dont you post review updates as news ?
I wouldnt know about them If I hadnt checked here and then went to see kona map review (and you have 2 other maps there ) 
Try FitzQuake Instead Of GLQuake 
I like the way it does water. Doesn't have those broken seams. Also, FitzQuake supports fullbrights. 
Thanks Scrag... 
i didn't want to have to pimp it myself :) 
Fitzquake 
i think it was made by metal-something 
While Were Talking About It... 
are you still working on fitzquake, metl? 
Well.. 
yes, now and then when i have an evening free. It's a lot harder now that i have a job. 
Glad to see you're still mapping Kona. It's been a while since I heard anything from you. Sadly, I went ahead and deleted Q1 from my computer a while ago so I can't play the maps. Screenies look good though. 
H-Hour 
There's a friggin easy solution to that: Install Q1 again, damnit! 
Mike Woodham 
That name sounds very familiar, I swear I've spoken to you before on something of a Quakey nature, am I right?

If so : Alright mate!!!
If not: Bah I suck, go away! :) 
Gom 
That would be really easy if I had the CD, but I don't. :) 
H-Hour 
Hmm... That makes everything a bit more complicated but it's still quite easy: Go buy Q1 and install it, damnit! ;) 
DaZ 
It is quite possible that we 'talked' before.

I did a series of maps called FMB(For My Babies), which were generally cobbled together from other peoples left-overs. I also used to visit the old BSPHQ and get involved in all sorts of 'mapping' things. (I was quite thrilled to see one of my old maps (A2D2, two DM maps made by Pingu, joined by me into an SP map) still being played at the speed runners site even this year!)

So, if we did talk in the past: yeh, I'm alright.

If not: I'm still alright and I hope you are too! 
Fitzquake 
I've just tried Fitzquake and I have a kind of 'reverse shadows' effect. Do I remember this from another version of Quake - a much heralded mod springs to mind (but not its' name)? 
Oh, 
damn. I remember the reverse shadows problem from glquake, but i thought i had fixed that in fitzquake. I think the problem was that glquake mistakenly thinks you can do multitexture, but you can't. This can happen even on some cards that do it, but only in some bitdepths (i think TNTs could only do SGIS_multitexture in 32bpp, but ARB_multitexture in 16bpp.) But like i said, i thought that i had fixed that. Can you tell me which version of fitzquake and what video card? 
Hey... If We're Talking About FitzQuake... 
... I like it a lot (it's the only Quake engine I run.) Version 0.70 and all others run perfect on my Radeon 7200 as long as I stay with my non-current driver, otherwise it fails completely (ATI is the suspect here.)

My second box is a P2-266 with a pair of Voodoo 2's in SLI mode. If I run version 0.60, it's fine. However, version 0.70 results in total acid flashback texture wackiness causing me to wonder if the Voodoo 2's are in fact possessed. Not a big deal though, just strange. 
Reverse Shadows 
Fitzquake version 0.70, November 3, 2002
P4 2.0
WindowsXP
ATI Rage Fury

I'll try it with my Radeon 9700 Pro tomorrow/Friday

Finished the level. Very good. But can the next one be bigger and longer and more enemies and, and ...

Regards

Mike Woodham 
Scragbait 
I also get psychedelic acid effects when running FitzQuake 0.70 on my old P233 Voodoo2 box. It runs fine on my Geforce3 though. It's probably the old 3dfx miniGL thingy that doesn't like FitzQuake (or vice versa). 
Well, 
the reason i asked, Metl is that i like everything about Fitzquake except that it still has the old max edicts in there... if you took those maxs out, well... i'd be very happy. ;) 
Re: Fitzquake 
psychedelic effects: screenshots please. (you can email them if you want)

mike: right after "video mode blah blah initialized" in the console, it should say something about multitexture. Can you tell me what it says?

necros: i think i can manage that. Not sure when the next version will be out, though -- right now i have some stuff in an intermediate state, so some features are broken (or, only work at some resolutions.) 
Mike 
i think its time for you to do FMB_xx, Qexpo 2003 is arriving soon! :) 
Yeah! 
and considering how many mappers have posted downloads of their unfinished maps (than, czg, etc...) you should have plenty to work with. 
Tronyn's Got Loads Of Unfinished Stuff Too... 
well, he does. :P 
Metlslime 
I tried replacing the 3dfx miniGL with the "full" ICD and then it worked much better. There are still some weird texture stuff going on, though. Not a big problem for me, since GLQuake works fine on the old box. 
Reverse Shadows 
OK, after figuring out how to read the text as it whizzed past my eyes, this is what it says:

gl_ext_texture_env_combine found
sound initialisation
set primary sound buffer format: yes
using secondary sound buffer
2 channel(s)
16 bits/sample
11025 bytes/sec
directsound initialised
sound sampling rate: 11025cdaudio_init: no cd in player
cd audio initialised

joystick not found -- no valid joystick (a5)

Does that help at all?

Regards

Mike 
More Haste Less Speed ... 
It says: -

winsock tcp/ip initialised
wipx_init: unable to open control
socket
exe: 05:42:16 nov 3 2002
32.0 megabyte head
video mode 640x400x16 initialised
gl_arb_multitexture found
gl_ext_texture_env_combine found
sound initialisation
set primary sound buffer format: yes
using secondary sound buffer
2 channel(s)
16 bits/sample
11025 bytes/sec
directsound initialised
sound sampling rate: 11025cdaudio_init: no cd in player
cd audio initialised

joystick not found -- no valid joystick (a5) 
Mike: 
"gl_arb_multitexture found" is what i was looking for. That means that your video card says it supports multitexture, so fitzquake tries to use it. Hmm... 
Hmm... 
arb arb arb arb! 
Reverse Shadows 
Just to confirm, Radeon 9700 Pro is working perfectly at 800 x 600 @ 32bpp.

No reverse shadows ....

.... so what do I play now?

Regards

Mike Woodham 
What To Play, What To Play... 
RPGSP1! ;)

Seriously though, check Underworldfan's Top 50 list of maps and episodes. There might be some newer things on there that you haven't played. Also, check through his review list. There's some good stuff in there.
http://www.planetquake.com/underworld/qclassics.html 
RPGSP1 
Played, and enjoyed, RPGSP1 when you first released it. My kind of level - the wind tunnels were brilliant.

There is not much in the way of Quake1 that I haven't played. I was after some pointers to other games where I could use the power of my Radeon 9700 Pro (I am waiting for Half Life 2, but meanwhile ...) 
Mike 
And 
Thanks for the compliments. :) 
Good 
Good work kona but you could introduce the skills there is only one skill :)
The texturing is good and the structures is terrible !!! I think a dark yellow sky isn't bad for your map but green is good :))) .
No, it's a joke good work, continue ! 
But There Is A Start Map... 
Nice Work Kona 
Played it, had fun ;-) 
I Finally Played It 
had fun ;-) too

nice architecture, nice skins, nice theme, nice! 
Oups 
I have say a big rotten thing ...
We can chooze the skills before enter guncotton, I see thet when i rflect after my posqt sorry kona !!!
Sweet Map 
Looked really original! has a great use of angled brushes in the buliding design and i like how it 'blends in' with the surroundings it's in. i loved the monsters too, did you modify them yourself or were they downloaded from somewhere?

Only thing i didn't like was that it was too short.. but still great for a quick blast! nice one Kona :) 
Yay! 
I was transfixed most of the time. Solarfall on LSD. Organic base. The very notion of base deconstructed. Thankyou [Kona].

Somehow I managed to slip past the final "spawn" frenzy, but it didn't detract. 
Even Better 
more impressive than flesh, although that did have some more inspirational architecture in spots.

Great work kona! 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.