News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Which Q1SP Would You Most Want To See A Sequel To?
Not that any of this is going to happen, just discussion, but what map would you most want to see a sequel to? Don't pick packs or episodes (ie, Scourge of Armagon), but rather a single map (ie, Hip1m3: The Lost Mine).

I'll have to think for a while before I come up with my own. Ziggurat Vertigo is definately one though.
Does Mexx10 Count? 
it was technically two, but they were awesome and it left off for sequels the same way the Bishop's Bane did, and they never came. :( 
Penile Devastation 2 
The end could have two giant penis spaceships crash into each other. Solid. 
not a sequel, perse, but i would like to see an updated version of ziggurat vertigo. 
Hell In A Can 
So many people promised to make an updated version of that in D3 but they never came. :( 
LunSP1 
The stuff contained in there could easily fuel a sequel, especially if the monsters were tweaked just a little... 
Lolotron 
Lardarse, I've considered that, and I'd rather do something more runic. Like, my response to Contract Revoked. If I could find a good reliable way to get .mdl's out of Maya I could crank out some awesome knight dudes and fleshy things. 
Maya 
I hate it... such a buggy pile of shite (v6)

alas, it's what I have to use at work now, so I am kind of used to it. I would also like to use it to make mdls, so if you anyone has a plugin, or can easily write one, please let me know :) 
Preach's Tutorials 
on his Qexpo 06 page has a very comprehensive tutorial on the finer points of mdl conversion. 
I Have To Start Using The Preview! 

My Vote 
Coriolis Force.

Or Byzantine.

Wait, those were never released in the first place, were they? 
ALL RIGHT FUCK 
than, nobody can easily write a plugin for maya. my only hope was to haxinate the q1 model tool source to accept some kind of format that maya could spit out easily (or even parse something ascii that I could export via MEL script), but I never got that far.

hmmmm. 
Lunaran: 
If I could find a good reliable way to get .mdl's out of Maya...

If you could, OMG that would be awesome. I've been using qme again the last few nights, and yikes it's slow compared to a real package like maya. Quake is sow low-res and simplistic that making good, polished work for it in Maya would be quite fast.

Of course, my warez0red copy got lost in a hard drive crash, so I can't really do anything with it regardless.

Back to the topic:

- apsp1
- the middle evil
- hell in a can
- prodigy SE
- shadow over innsmouth (itself a sequel)
- rubicon (lol) 
Mexx 10 
gets a vote here too.

Others :

A3
At The gates of Midian
Kinn's last map Marcher
Invein
Nastrond
Necrobrood
Shadow Over Inssmouth 
MDL With Maya 
I can see a reasonably quick pipeline to MDL format with Maya(although I can't test the maya half as I don't have a copy myself)

Go to
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/muskoka/
and download the correct version of the plugin there. It allows for export to MD3 format. Then you use the qexpo tutorial I posted for converting MD3s to MDLs with quark. It's quite possible that quark will refuse to open the MD3 this plugin creates. Read the last day of the tutorials for what to do to minimize the chances of this happening(TGA skins with indexed palette for instance).

If it still won't load them, post the MD3 here and I'll take a look. If you can import it into gmax but not quark, try importing it into gmax and then exporting it again to MD3. This seemly pointless maneuver has been know to fix the problem of quark loading a file. I think the plugin also offers MD2 export, so try that as an alternative. 
My Picks 
Menkalinan!

And
arcane (it was so id1-ish)
gmsp3 (I could imagine a whole episode placed in such castles...)
m_palace (such a nice theme) 

I think milkshape can convert from maya format to q1\q2 mdl
or maybe deep exploration
prolly both will shit on anims and skin mapping 

gmsp3 is way to hot!!! :)

glassman go map! 
Marcher 
nuff said 
On Glassman 
http://www.glassman.mistral.co.uk/gmsp2pics/gmsp2pics.htm
i really hope this gets finished some time 
Masque Of The Red Death 
and/or Marcher.

/correct thread 
Lol 
.. at text_fish ;) 
Short Wishlist ;) 
[Twice] Upon Atrocity
[Beyond] Zerst´┐Żrer
Castle of [Darker] Ages
Coagula III

http://www.glassman.mistral.co.uk/gmsp2pics/gmsp2pics.htm
I second this request...
Maybe with the next revamp/suite of Nehahra? 
OMG, JohnXmas 
http://www.glassman.mistral.co.uk/...

my world just got rocked! 
Apsp1 Has A Sequel 
it's dm3rmx :) 
Wait 
There's 3 coagulas also, johnxmas. 
Back Off Topic... 
just a quick note: i just checked and qme3 accepts dxf, 3ds, lwo, hrc and cad files.

i've been using dxf to get files from 3dsmax into quake and it works absolutely fine. sure maya, as a comparable software would support at least one of those formats to export in? 
I Thought There Was A Glassman-waking-up Project Already 
and it didn't work :( 
I Think 
that Glassman just didn't reply any mail. :( 
Glassman's Last Login 
on this board: 2004-12-23 16:38:52
Maybe he's dead or something... :( 

no i talk with him 6 month ago... by email! he is reserved guy :\ 
Maya Won't Export As A Damn Thing 
two proprietary maya alias formats and .obj, but only with a plugin.

one of them (.ma) is an ascii export that any dos app could ordinarily parse, but it describes the maya scene as a command history and not just geometric data, so you'd need maya to read it back in to know wtf scene it turned into anyway. 
Unlikey But We Can Hope: 
glassman's nehahra episode.

otherwise:
Insomnia 2. 
JohnXmas 
Castle of [Darker] Ages ! OK, I note it... Why not... 
Oh... I Missed To Say... 
I'd like to see a sequel episode of

Sadlark
Beyond Belief
Marcher Fortress
Bastion of the Underworld
EvilDead
Terra
LTH
Contract Revoqued
The Rest Is Silence

.. and some others I don't remember the name...

And also the sequel of the beta levels of Quake Travail I tested some months ago... actually the final release ;P 
My Picks 
ikspq5
hell in a can 
My Picks 
palace of hate (palace of fear?)
altar of pain (doom64)
l i g h t (quake 2 / awakening - ikbase)
the wizard's manse (with a real boss and not just a zombie on the wall)
the temple level from zerstorer 
Not To Forget 
a sequel to that one czg map which will never be released... :'( 
JPL 
No sarcasm here!
I'm a big fan of CDA! A true Q1 classic to me. I played all your maps and consider this one as a high reward to your perseverance.
But facing the exit in the cave, I wonder... What lies beneath CDA huge outdoors? 
Stuff 
Lunaran: regarding maya file formats - I'm sure you knew this but Doom3 seems to read the .ma format natively - many of the models in the expansion pack are maya ascii, so it might be worth looking into what that's all about.

Regarding Marcher sequels etc. Well, good news is it's in the works...kinda. Bad news is, it's for Doom 3. Don't expect mindless horde combat though, the setpieces will be more subtle and imaginative. Thing is, I'm actually mapping my tits off for Doom 3 atm (on a non-marcher project) and have been doing so for many months now. It's really gruelling having to somehow tie this into my spare time after doing 8+ hours a day mapping for (unannounced game) at work, then coming home all bleary-eyed and angry after spending the day wrestling with extremely WIP dev tools, only to fire up doomedit when I should really be chillaxing.

Oh well, enough whingeing. I'm gonna have an early night. 
Kinn 
If you finish and release that map I will name my firstborn after you. 
Mappos 
bbelief3, bbelief4
the elektra complex
the vigil 
Kinn, 
If you finish and release that map I will name my firstborn after you.

I'll batter my new born, fry them up into crispy treats, dust them with confectionaire sugar and have the package sent to you just for a screen shot. 
Headthump 
typically one does something OUT of the norm as a bribe for such things 
Kinn 
Probably a maya tools dll included with the expansion. although why they chose to use .ma as a natively loadable format I'll never know - it's horribly inefficient if all you want is the game-relevant data, and probably adds days to the load times.

Major kudos on being able to work all day on a project that makes you angry and still come home to map some more. 
Well, 
I could throw in a box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts but I was saving that for the bargaining phase.

As for the topic, Hell's Sewers in Beyond Belief is near the top of my list too. Personaly, instead of individual levels, I would like to see the extension of certain styles that are evoked by particular levels. Autumn Haunting and Gun Cotton come to mind.

There is a Runic/Tech level in Desolution of Eternity that has a unique approach that begs to be developed further. 
Kinn 
I know how you feel. When work isn't satisfying those creative urges, you just gotta map at home :/

Or maybe you feel differently. That's how I often feel here, and was how I felt in the UK towards quitting my previous company. 
JPL... 
...patience friend. A suprise awaits you sometime next week.

As far as sequels:

I already thought nesp09 was the final in a series of sequels following At the Gates of Midian. Regardless, another in this series is a definite must have (c'mon necros, you know you want to).

I'm already hankering for a sequel to lunsp1, as well as gmsp3.

And I want very much to see a sequel to Ankh's Hangover Devastation. 
Er, Maps 
insomnia 2 (well, you do go down a lift to somewhere at the end)
marcher
gmsp3
egypt
more oum would be nice
bbelief ep 2 :)
zer

can't think of any non obvious ones. More from damaul would have been nice. 
Fun Thread 
-Nesp09 including the secret level (carnage galore!)
-Masque of the Red Death (this time with the SOE wizards/knights)
-Menkalinan
-anything Nehahra and/or Quoth
-anything by MadFox (one of the kings of gameplay here) 
JohnXmas / Distrans 
JohnXmas: I was really serious ! I already have an idea of a sequel to CDA... and it would take place in a huge underground place... like Hell.. :P

distrans: Good news, I'm really hurry to play the full pack !

Oh and I missed Zerstorer BTW ! 
And MORE That Could Have Been 
one of my all time favorites is r.p.g.'s aatchb. so that would be on top of my wishlist. it's 3 years old now, so time for a sequel (i know you're still around, r.p.g.)!
btw: i still haven't found the fourth secret i think... and no speedruns of that map either... :'( 
Efdat 
there is lot's of speedruns on "could" :)
http://speeddemosarchive.com/quake/mkt.pl?level:could 
Ankh 
thx a lot :) now all we need is a sequel! 

i want a sequel to s4wk. same style please. maybe a chainmap? *g* 
Oh No, They Want More?! 
I doubt there will be a sequel to "Could", but there is another base map I'm working on that is very close to completion. And efdat, if you want to, send me an e-mail and I'll give you the run down on all the secrets from "Could."

But who would want a sequel to "s4wk"? That map s4wks. ;) 
Here Is My List 
Adamatine Cruelty (ac)
Bastion Of The Underworld (bastion)
Ceremonial Circles (czg03)
Tale of Abbot's Rune (Sgodrun1, Sgodrun2)
Whispers in Darkness (soe2m4) from Soul of Evil
Halls of the Shambler God (Ikspq3)
Homecoming (Ikspq4)
Rain Palisade (rainpal) and Storm Dungeon (storm) from the Rapture pack 
Lmbo 
tron, HeadThump - i doubt i'll have any areas polished visually from Marcher any time in the next 6-12 months at least, partly due to the fact I'm manning the backpumps hard on my other map, and partly due to the time it's going to take to make the proper art assets to do it justice - I don't think Doom3's Hell set consisting of about 3 different brick textures is going to cut the mustard somehow...

Lunaran, than - well I guess it's not quite as bad as I made it sound. I probably exaggerated a bit when I said it made me angry - a more accurate description would be that it makes me eat junk food and drink a lot, and I haven't even experienced a crunch time yet o_O. 
Kinn, I Hope Soon 
that you'll be in luck. I'm going to be working on the Mortisville texture set over the next few months:

Here is a model of an over head lamp I have been working on this afternoon.

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/6043/glolamptk6.jpg

I'm going to texture it and then create a diffuse and normal map out of it so it can be used as a texture.
I've always loved the evil6 textures and that is the kind of style I'm trying to evoke. 
That Lamp 
looks ripe for a cubemap to project in DP... could look very cool casting down a hallway over a patrolling ogre =)

nice 
So Everyone Wants More LunSP, Eh? 
/me makes notes 
No Cthon Puzzles Though, Eh? 
Look, It's Simple 
if you have a five cubic kilometer lava pit and a three cubic kilometer lava pit and you need exactly four cubic kilometers to kill c'thon, all you've got to do is fill the three cubic kilometer pit, pour it into the five cubic kilometer pit, fill the three cubic kilometer pit again, pour two out of them into the five cubic kilometer pit until it's full, dump out the five cubic kilometer pit, pour the one cubic kilometer of lava you have left over into the five cubic kilometer pit, then fill the three cubic kilometer pit once more and dump that into the five cubic kilometer pit leaving you with exactly four cubic kilometers, three times while he's throwing lava balls at you. What's so fucking hard about this?! 
Lunaran 
Die Hard 3 reference, eh ! 
Well, No 
it was an established puzzle long before they recycled it in DH:WAV. but yes. 
On The Road To St. Ives I Met A Man With Seven Wives... 

He Was Mad Pimpin 

Lunaran 
Sorry, the first I heard about this "puzzle" was only watching DH3.... Anyway, post (i.e #62) should have taking place in the film thread :P 
Lun 
will that require a custom progs??? 
Mwh 
yes, but lunsp1 had one. in fact, I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm toward imagining what I could do if lunsp2 required a custom fitzquake >D 
Sequel For... 
Terra. I liked the scale and also the styles. 
Red 777... 
E1M1Quoth...

Every map in Contract Revoked but definitely NOT the whole episode ;)

(I am trying to stay on topic.) 
Werd 
Looking good HeadThump - I've always been a fan of evillair's stuff.

Just checked out his site and was pleased to see that he's just produced a new set for Quake4 :o 
Holy Crap! 
I can't wait to drool over those.

Thnx Kinn and Scar3crow 
These Need Sequels... 
Ziggurat Vertigo
The Wind Tunnels (thanks for Anteldilluvian!)
Marcher Fortress
Moonlit Assault (LTH imitations weren't bad)
The Elder God Shrine (Elek's early stuff was kinda close)
Shadow Over Innsmouth/Village of Dread
fucking, that last map from Vigil, should have been completed!
Koohoo 
Oh, And 
Curse of Osiris (mission pack 2) - this was an awesome map.
The Black Cathedral
_and_ the lost mine. 
Sm48_crap :) 
GET ON THE HOTDOG!
We wait the sequel for a long time.
Where are you necros?

But nice idea:
CRAPPED MISSION PACK
Are anybody agreed?
:-) 
Animal Killing Sqeuels 
Deep Blue Sea 2
Anacondas 3 

The Middle Evil
Avanipaala Praasaa
Village of dread
zer1m6 - True Love Waits (I found this one of the scariest Quake maps I've played.. I kept wondering how much deeper down I was going to have to go. Awesome!) 

zer1m6 indeed. i was really impressed by its size at that time. 
I Want To See A Sequel To Fmb_bdg1! 
So there! 
A Beer For... 
... mwh: you are right ! 
Village 
Village of Dread had a sequel -- Shadow over Innsmouth. 
E1m1 And End.bsp! 
great idea for a thread. some of the maps mentioned have so many maps since then in the same style, its hardly worth a sequel.

haven't played much of the recent stuff, but here's some style/themes i want to see in a sequel:

Tale of Abbot's Rune
The Occursed
Shrine of Skank
Hell - Nephilim
The Lost World
The Crawling Chaos
Nastrond
Lots Neil Manke's Q1 & Q2 maps... except someone ELSE should make the sequels. 

zomggg Kona still lives :) 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.