News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Console Gaming Thread!
You know the score.

Thread for all your console gaming needs, discussions, game recommendations, questions, feedback, reviews, etc etc.

Post and enjoy!

P.S. Including old consoles too, although it's the newer ones people seem most excited about.
Eh...? 
I thought you hated consoles Shamb, is this some sneaky ploy to divert all unwanted console discussions to some thread that you will never read?

I want my Wii. =( 
Bal 
Me too. With any luck, I can score both a Wii with Zelda, and possibly nab a copy of FF12 to go with my PS2. 
Wii!!!!!!! 
Next Wednesday, midnight launch.

I can't wait. :D 

errr another crapy threat! :p

more Q1 threats please :p 
Yes Brilliant! 
But why didn't you create any linux games, mac games, games that require new computers, dx10 games threads as well?

Unless many others think this separation is good I see no other reason for this split other than shambler not giving a rats ass about console games and not wanting to rad about them. 
Consoles 
My friend is so aggravating because he's all "hey you me and my bro can play Rainbow Six: Vegas or Gears of War" and I just AAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH at the point that - isn't it obvious cramming 3 people on 1 fucking TV is hopeless, much less 2? TV resolution sucks, you can't see shit - his answer? "Move closer" -- DUDE... agh...

So despite the fact that I hate consoles for numerous reasons, there is one shining light and that may be the Wii. 
Just To Make It Clear 
this thread is a bad idea. Games are games, and you can't just shovel the overwhelmingly largest sector of the industry into one measly thread just because "lol consoles suck am i rite olol" 
I Have To Admit... 
the one thing HDTV will help with is those 4-player splitscreen console game modes, which look like shit on regular TVs. 
Also... 
Does playing an emulated console game on my PC count as a PC game or a console game? And what about cell phone games? Where does Settlers of Cataan fit in here? Bacarat? Crossword puzzles? Sudoku? Pocket pool? Buzzword bingo? 
I Hate Consoles 
only because they cause a division in games, and it means i'd have to buy every console if i wanted to play every game. also ports are evil. 
Shambler 
Since you normally really dig making universal threads that reach across the broadest spectrum of ideas and concepts (e.g. "Best Monsters" thread instead of "Best Quake Monsters" thread), why oh why did you feel the need to segregate PC games and console games?

Where does one discuss a game that was released on both PC and a console? 
Why, In The PC & Console Crossover Thread 

Metl 
exactly.

I played FIFA (ps2) on ym widescreen tv not too long ago and while the ps2 graphics show their age when you have them blown up, the 4 player game is much more satisfying because oyu can actually see what's going on.

I figure it'd be even better for shooter since normally you have a window size the size of a hand. 

Phait, get a better TV, and stop whining. Projector recommended. You're also missing half the point of playing split-screen.

metlslime, Settlers of Catan is a boardgame. Crossword puzzles, sudoku, buzzword bingo are puzzle games. 

lets turn this into PC vs console flame 
Also 
Projector is usless in the lit room 
A Mac Games Thread... 
... would be pretty short. 
Vigil: 
yeah, but board games used to fit into the "other games" thread, but now it's PC games only, and this is console games only, so all other games are now without a thread to call home. 
What About 
smartphone games thread? 
I Prefer 
the linux-on-xbox games thread 
Metlslime 
huh? when did that happen
who the fuck inserted 'PC' there 
Answers: 
and you can't just shovel the overwhelmingly largest sector of the industry into one measly thread

Before, the entire industry was in one measly thread. Now it's in two threads. So actually, you're argument works the other way - this is giving the largest sector of the industry MORE space on the board.

Since you normally really dig making universal threads that reach across the broadest spectrum of ideas and concepts (e.g. "Best Monsters" thread instead of "Best Quake Monsters" thread), why oh why did you feel the need to segregate PC games and console games?

This is an extremely broad thread - every console and every console game ever released - I hope that is broad enough for you.

Look....

Quite a few people seem to want to discuss console games only - that's great for them.

Quite a few people seem to want to discuss PC games only - that's great for them.

Some people want to discuss both - ditto.

This thread just helps keep discussions clear by focusing seperately on two seperate areas of gaming. If you like both areas, read both threads!

Please forget the moaning about it and just accept there's no real reason to complain, and just post your discussions/views in the relevant threads. 
Well 
Whatever, anyone have a DS and a Wii? If so, if I had neither, which one would be the better choice to get? DS has a much larger library of games, some of which are FUCKING AWESOME, but the Wii has tons of potential and a seemingly really good start. Since the Wii also plays GC games, it also has a ton of high-quality first-party titles to choose from, as well as some good 3rd party titles.

Being a Nintendo fanboi, I'd rather have one or the other or both, so which one should I get? 
Ffs, Shambler 
It's not like the original Other Games Thread had that much traffic to begin with.

Moreover this isn't keeping in the spirit of maintaining Func as an archive, nor in the spirit of an open and free board, which seem to be qualities metl wants and others admire (such as myself).

You're just about the only person who wants it this way, so how about putting it back the way it was instead of forcing your views on us? 
How Boring Is... 
...unnecessary dogma for the "purpose" of being dogmatic? I'd say "very". 
Btw: 
I don't have a real problem with this split. The old way was fine with me too.

The only downside is that all the older console discussion will be in the PC thread. 
Yeah 
shambler has changed so much ever since he touched balls with another guy... :D

i don't care for nextgen consoles anyway (yet), so whatever... 
Wii Launch 
got mine preordered, but going to Bic Camera in Osaka to camp out for the launch anyway (yeah, I forgot to preorder games and accessories :D ) 
Wee 
we have a wii in the office and i�d call myself a diehard nintendo fanboy - but wii sp�rts is just a bit naff. its a strange idea and nobody else but someone in the industry who looks for this stuff would even notice but i miss the �real� controller and well animated, textured, modelled characters and scenery (having the (admittedly fun)customisable characters is no excuse for not doing the job well).

the wii�s alot of fun and i will be buying one for twilight princess (don�t care if it gets 1% in reviews(it won�t despite the joystiq nonsense)) - but i get the feeling its straying from the diehard tradition of ninetendo that made me such a cash cow for the company in the first place.

the 360 is a dead duck. its only saving grace is xbox live and its ease of hackability. personally i prefer to pay for games and support the people who made it - weather its a keeper that i�ll play for months or part-time gimmick, but there are many who do not. as to the machine itself:

the xbox 360 is poorly made.
a mobile phone (made by any company) has more abilities texture wise.
a typical devkit ships with 50% �known issues� no, not a devkit of six moths ago; today.

aside from this its a downgraded PC . . . it handles graphics very well - the architecture is well built, it�s only the mehcanics of the physical unit that are poorly thought out - although mysterious blind spots (the semi-aforementioned .png lack) in the system are a bit of a puzzler.

the main reason i will not be buying one is because there will be a new version in not too much time - if its backwards compatable and a complete unit (don�t need to pay extra for stuff that should be onboard) i might reconsider.

as to the big spender�s option - i�m interested. paying the extra csah for a new format can work out well - if you�re lucky and so enarmoured with new tech, but can also be the same (betamax!) as flushing your cash down the pan.

i started the �best quake monsters� thread in a moment of boredom and i have never been able to view all threads.

my two pence. 
New Version? 
source plz. url preferably

are u working in xbox gamedev? 
No 
i just meant that the next generation's next generation probably isnt far away - they also make small improvements constantly to the hardware; case, joypads etc. you've probably seen the pictures of the badly made plastic pads where the analogs were stripped of thier coating.

i work in games so thats how i get to see alot of the dev hardware early - though no ps3 as yet. 
Another Game Developer Who Can't Live Without Advanced Graphics 
have fun contributing to the death of the industry!

</troll> 
. . . 
simple graphics are fine as long as they're done well (i doubt i'll ever stop playing quake) but sports seems to lack an extra level of polish on all fronts visually which (genuinely) detracts from the game since all the characters are animated like weebles and they didn't have to be.

but it is alot of fun to play; so who cares. 
Found These Interesting Videos 
Also 
http://pix.blakespot.com/view/computers/screenshots/wii_composite_vs_component/

Yes, a component cable makes THAT much difference. 
Wii... 
two thumbs up :)

a few niggles, but nothing like the shit that xbox 360 launched with, and thankfully nothing near the price to enjoyment ratio of PS3 at the moment (about 0.1 I'd say, where Wii is about a 1.0 - aside from the Virtual console...). 
Jago 
they always did, even for regular tv watching like dvds. 
Playing Wii At Work = Wheee 
Ii Wiill Bii Buyiing Oneii Whenii Theiii Geiit Morii Avaiiiilabliii 
Czg 
We had a great plan to play Wii at work today, but then none of us took them in because we all assumed someone else would.

Wii is great fun though, just got started into Zelda today when I get home. 
Wii Buddies 
8430 9643 4347 6210

an pop me a mail to i can add you! 
Gears Of War (Xbox360) 
So I got to the final boss in Gears of War today. Couldn't get past the fucker, oh no, but I reached the bastard and after about 20 attempts to kill him I'm willing to call it a day.

Anyway, here's my review:

...On second thoughts I really can't be arsed to write a review but let me just say that the game looks arse-shatteringly amazing, the levels are filled with colon-rupturingly awesome classical architectural styles, but most importantly it plays super fun.

It's the first truly great 360-exclusive game. The 360 has other great games - it has Oblivion, and it has...err...well ok the 360 has one other great game in the form of Oblivion, but you can also get that for PC.

Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked. Gears of War is not perfect however - the control system is flawed - mapping "sprint" and "attach to cover" to the same button was a bit of a mistake - you often find yourself brushing up against, and therefore sticking to, cover objects when you're in actual fact just trying to get the fuck out of dodge, but it doesn't happen often enough to really mar the game.

Side note: "Active Reload" is the best idea ever.

Gah whatever, I'm gonna stop writing and play this some more. 
Heh Heh 
get the fuck out of dodge

See what he did there. Clever! 
XD 
lmao 
Ok Finished It 
After an embarrassing number of attempts, I have at last finally beat the fucker.

Although I would at this stage very much like to personally strangle with my bare hands, the person who designed the final boss battle, I'd just like to say thank you Epic for making the coolest and funnest shooter I've played in many years. I fear that going back to FPS games, without a context cover system, is going to feel somewhat limiting from now on.

Alas the game was far, far too short - understandable when you're making a game of such resplendent visual density, but I was sad when it ended so abruptly.

On the plus side, I now have in my vocabulary a clutch of remarkable new swear words which had never even existed up until the point at which I encountered the final boss battle that inspired me to invent them, so cheers again for that. 
In Other News 
English man walks into a bar in Boston, and proclaimed for all to hear, "ah! such resplendent visual density!"

He was never seen nor heard from again.

Paddy O'Brien, the proprietor, was asked if it had anything to do with 'The Troubles.'

"Oh, no, we forgave the English a long time ago. That had nothing to do with it." 
Gears 
The final boss truly was the greatest design cock up in recent memory. It exemplified a problem that happened in quite a few places though, which was that a lot of set pieces seemed to have been balanced for co-op play, and were unreasonably hard with only an AI Dom at your side. The game is definitely worth replaying in co-op - in fact for new players, having your first run in co-op won't diminish the experience. Great game overall.

I'm posting this from my Wii by the way. Never again, typing is too slow even with the autocomplete. 
Final Boss In Gears 
was a bit annoying even in coop, but once you figure out the easy way to do it, it isn't hard. The first time me and my pal beat him, one of us accidentally hit a button and skipped the end cutscene. Luckily we killed him again with no problems whatsoever.

I can imagine that and also the first encounter with the blind charging monster are fucking annoying with an AI buddy though. The charging monster was totally fucking awesome in coop though.

The only bit I didn't like even in coop was the bit where you have to drive the tank and kill krill. That was shit and truely the low point of the game for me. 
Cockiest Uppery 
since lunsp1? 
Boss Breakdown 
How I beat the final boss in single player.

First, there are so many random factors going on in this fight, that blind luck probably accounts for 75% of the success.

How quickly Dom gets killed is a very important factor. With Dom alive he can distract RAAM giving you time to get some clear shots on him whilst there is still plenty of distance between you and him. With a dead Dom, RAAM will be on your arse like a ton of bricks before you know it.

This is the major design fuckup, as Shallow said. AI Dom is stupid and will typically charge straight into RAAM and die very early in the battle, leaving you having to do everything on your own.

Most of my attempts to kill RAAM involved the tactic of staying behind the first low wall, and hitting him with the Torque Bow to disperse the cloud of Kryll, then switching to the sniper rifle and aiming for a headshot. Repeat as necessary. The problem with this method is that constantly switching between the weapons means that half the time you will find yourself holding the Torque Bow when he sends his Kryll horde after you, meaning you miss the chance to headshot him until you switch to the rifle and reload, by which time his Kryll swarm might be back in place before you can get a good shot in.

After many failed attempts I decided to just forget about trying to disperse the Kryll swarm myself, and just concentrate on headshotting him as soon as he sent his Kryll after me. All I had to really worry about was avoiding death when he physically reached the wall I was hiding behind. When he's inside a certain proximity to the wall, staying down and blindfiring grenades or whatever you've got left is your best bet (all I could do was blindfire with the sniper rifle at this point) until he actually breaches your position, at which point it's time to scream your battle cry of choice and run like the fucking wind.

When you have no option left but to expose yourself and make a dash for it, you'd better be praying to all of God, Allah, Buddha, and the six arms of Vishnu, that neither Kryll are airborne and that RAAM isn't currently firing his gun, or you're pretty much instagibbed the minute you poke your head out.

If the wind is blowing in the right direction, and the planets are aligned correctly, you might survive the dash to the next safe cover point. Perhaps you even managed to get to the opposite side of the train - if so, congratulations - RAAM is hopefully now in the distance and you can resume the same tactics that you adopted at the beginning of the fight.

So many things can go wrong along the way - you can easily trip up whilst running due to the aforementioned sprint/stick to cover button clash. Even if you manage to avoid RAAM, at some point you will inevitably find a random Reaver to your flank ploughing your arse with hot lead.

Hilariously, a chokepoint lies immediately in front of the cover point on the far side of the train (where RAAM starts). This makes the mad dash past RAAM much more dangerous from this position as you cannot flank him, and you will often have to literally brush past him on your suicide run.

Fun for all the family! 
Coop Tactics... 
one player shoots the bow to get rid of the krill, the other player snipes. The krill never do much damage if you are in the light, so just ignore them. When Raam gets close enough to your cover, both player should run to the other end of the train and start shooting him again. A coupld more shots later and he's dead. 
Posting From My Wii! 
I am posting in this thread from my wiiiiiii 
Than 
but once you figure out the easy way to do it, it isn't hard

LOL sounds like a classic Madden phrase:

"Now now here's a guy who he's big and ugly because he's a monster and and - and you gotta bring the guy down, but once you figure out the easy way to do it, it isn't hard! I like Brett Favre." 
Call Of Duty 3 (Xbox360) 
Ok I just completed Call of Duty 3.

God that was dull. I suppose it's a good WWII shooter if you're into that sort of thing (and I haven't played many of those tbh).

I just found that shooting neverending hordes of Germans with either a machinegun or a rifle (and chucking the odd grenade) got OLD really fast.

The story elements/cutscenes were too frequent and too boring. The attempts to add variety to the gameplay with the occasional (obligatory) vehicle driving or turret-operating section were all so obvious and generic that they didn't even register, it was all so unmemorable.

There's a few instances where you will trigger an "interactive cutscene" where for example a German will try to strangle you or stab you to death in a scene similar to that horrible bit in Saving Private Ryan (you know the one), and you have to tap arbitrary buttons on your gamepad in a timely fashion as they flash up onscreen.

This type of mechanic is common to lots of console games, and I think it's always shit. You've reduced the player's involvement in the game to the most minimal of inputs - hitting a button when you're told to - yet what happens on screen is such a complex interaction that the player feels absolutely zero connection between his input and what's actually going on. In essence: it takes you out of the game. Resident Evil 4 did this sort of crap to death, and everyone seemed to love it, everyone apart from me obviously.

Unlike other shooters which can compensate for repetitive gamplay with interesting changes of location, there's only so many types of scenery you can have in a game that tries to realistically portray the battlegrounds of Normandy.

Technically, the game is good - it's quite pretty (definately a step up from CoD2), the orchestral score swells when there's lots of shit going on etc. and the production values are obviously very high, but overall I'm afraid this type of shooter just isn't my cup of tea. 
WW2 Shooters 
Wasn't anyone else bored after the first CoD? I only played that, Wolfenstein and Medal of Honour before I decided I didn't want to see another recount of how we kicked those nazi asses good and proper told from the same perspective with the same weapons and totally over-scripted and linear gameplay.

I can deal with another Wolf game because it doesn't claim to be realistic and has the whole supernatural thing mixed in, but another Call of "the glider landing spot is accurate to 1 metre" Duty is something I can't abide.

Unfortunately, I don't think there will be an end to that franchise any time soon.

Oh, and before I post this, Brothers in Arms is another franchise that sucks. They tried to do something interesting, but the spawned a whole fucking franchise based on flanking. That gets old after one level. Mind you, I heard it was just the ps2 version that was shit, so maybe I'm being too hard on it... it WAS shit though.

Vietcong is probably the best wargame I have seen yet in terms of gameplay and a feeling of authenticity. Although not without its problems, I do recommend it to anyone wanting a more interesting FPS war experience (just make sure you get the fist alpha pack and patch it to 1.6). Don't think about getting the sequel though.

H&D2 actually. That was good. Wouldn't mind a sequel to that.

Medal of Honour, Call of Duty and Brothers in Arms. Seriously, all of you just fuck off and die. 

Than likes trying to make ProdigyXL cry. 
The Only WW2 FPS 
I've bothered to play (not counting the awesomeness of Wolfenstein for the reason Than has stated) is Allied Assault, and a fews nights of fucking around on a PS2 with a friend, I played the Pacific version as well. I liked Allied Assault for its variety of missions, but that is as about as much of the genre that I can take.

I would like to see a Splinter Cell style sneaker done using the OSS (Young William Casey Plants a Bug On Hitler!), or a cheekier, less serious sneaker that sort of combines No One Lives Forever with Cryptonomicon would be good fun as well.

The 30's and 40's have a certain appeal and penache that makes for interesting subject matter. Between the emblematic Nazi's, Silver and Black dressed Fascists, and William Holden, you had some really snazzy stylin' and profilin' at that time.

But good Gawd, no more flanks and tanks and bullshit sentiments. It has been done to death and then some. 

/me calls in an airstrike on this thread 
Call Of Duty Thwii (lol, See What I Did There?!?!) 
I haven't actually played any WWII games other than RTCW and ET (which I would say don't count) so am not burnt out on the genre. I'm thinking of picking up COD3 for the Wii. The graphics look fine to me from gameplay videos so that isn't an issue and I hear the controls work well. 
Basically I Just Agree With Whatever Kinn Says. 
This christmas, I've played a lot more console games than usual, due to being stuck in a house with little else going for it apart from lots of bagels and port, so my opinions may have a slight drunk/bread-product bias.

Xbox 360 was the console of choice. Generally nothing I've seen of the 360 has made me want one until recently... most of the games just don't look much better than xbox games, and the gameplay seems to stay the same.

Fifa 07
Well if you care about football (soccer) games at all, you almost definitely prefer the Pro Evolution (winning eleven) series of games anyway. Fifa's gameplay is always much worse, far less addictive, fluid, refined, but it always looks a lot better. So it's up to you to choose between a pretty game you won't play, and an acceptable looking game that you'll play a lot.

Tiger woods 07(?)
Well it's a golf game... I don't really play golf games, but this, like the xbox one, is a pretty good time.

Oblivion
I played it quite a lot on the PC, and you can tell even when playing that how much they were thinking of the 360 when they made it, especially the menu/inventory system, which is near identical. So it's no surprise Oblivion plays great on the 360, and if you haven't got access to a PC, get this on the xbox... it's clearly one of the best games you can buy right now. 
So Gears of War then. Probably the most hyped up game I've ever played. The game goes right into it pretty quickly and you're being rescued from jail by your buddy in a little cutscene. "Hi i'm Dom Santiago, I'm your slightly shit sidekick who will die on you quite a lot, we're busting you out". But they they teach you how to use cover, you get to fight, and immediately it feels really natural. I thought the cover system was every bit as good as it was hyped to be. There really is no doubt this'll be turning up in a lot of games in the future.

The main difference between playing Gears and playing Call of Duty is that you actually enjoy the sections where you're just taking out troops. The locusts in gears of war jump and roll and slide between and over cover like you do. They don't just stand there like in CoD. And you're hiding behind pillars, blindly firing your rifle around the corner like in a film, except it's never scripted, so you're never just watching. You can get close and chainsaw them, smack them with your gun, or take them out with headshots and it's never boring.

I've never been in a actual gunfight, the nearest I've got is paintball(much like CliffyB, the designer, as he mentions in the manual), and Gears really captures the atmosphere of that. It's all about diving behind things, sprinting to a better position and trying not to get hit.

Gears of War also is by far the most beautiful game I've ever played. The engine is spectacular, and the artwork is equally amazing. Some sections you just have to stop and admire... the landscape in the distance especially, such as in the caves, it really needs to be seen to be believed.

Damn, it's just so much fun, and it knows it's a game, which is why i liked Prey, despite its shortcomings. The interface is incredible, I love the simple button setup. The plot is cheesy and it knows it, but it's easy to get involved and care about your dudes, a lot easier than CoD. The only area CoD wins is animation, but that's not to say Gears is bad in this area... actually I think that's something Call of Duty does extremely well.

Your AI buddies aren't too bad, although the aforementioned sidekick Dom Santiago is a bit shit, although reviving your fallen buddies isn't difficult, especially with a bit of cover fire, and it's a pretty interesting game mechanic anyway. I haven't played it in coop, but my god, it seems like that would be amazing.

I can't help but think how fun it would be to watch 2 really good 4-man teams duke it out in multiplayer. What a war that'd be. I can't believe i'm still typing. Get this game. Skip Call of Duty.

Guitar Hero 2 (PS2)
I nearly forgot. You must be tired of those old songs by now. In fact there are some absolutely fantastic new tracks: Sylvia, YYZ and that Kansas one stood out for me. The game is a little smoother, looks a little better, but the biggest improvement is that songs are generally more fun to play, as the notes you have to play are better chosen, and the meter is a bit more forgiving i think. It just feels better, go buy. 
THIS POST GOES ABOVE THE LAST ONE 
DUH I'M RETARDED

Call of Duty 3 VERSUS Gears of War
I figure the best way to get the general feeling of these games over is by comparing them. This is also the point where I agree with Kinn a lot.

I played Call of Duty 3 first. I've played a fair few WWII games through the years, I'm pretty neutral to the genre, but the one I played and enjoyed the most was probably actually the original Call of Duty. I'd like to be able to say, 'hey, if you liked that, you'll love this, it's bigger, it's better, it's more of the same...' but if you're only kind of interested in this type of game, and Nazis don't give you a semi, you really won't love this.

Basically, 'more of the same' turns out to be far too much. There's a real sense of tiredness in the series, and it's really apparent now just how boring it is to crouch in a ruined house in normandy and try and shoot all the nazis that are hiding in windows in that other ruined house over the road, maybe with a fixed machinegun placement too, how exciting.

Graphics look better, they look alright really. Don't think I was ever that blown away. There's some driving sections, some terrible dialogue. Actually that's quite noticable... the series has gone downhill in the script department, and it's utter american propaganda shite, so badly written I don't think anyone could be inspired by it. The sections where you have to tap the shoulder buttons to wrestle with german soldiers are, as Kinn mentioned, particularly wank. This isn't Saving Private Ryan, that's a film. And you aren't Spielberg, so I'd rather actually play the games I buy rather than watch scripted sequences all day thanks.

Oh and i finished the game in a shockingly short amount of time, which isn't something I usually complain about. Actually I'm not complaining, I didn't want to play it any more. 
Gears Of Duty Hero 4 
Wait.. 
/me Buys Starbuck A Beer 
^_^

Excellent reviews all round. In particular, you nailed what makes Gears so fun compared to CoD3, namely - even when the combat situation is at its most unimaginative (e.g. kill this horde lol) - Gears makes it fun, CoD3 doesn't. 
Nice... 
now i'm even more excited about gears. I'll have to buy a 360 someday.

And I second the comments on Guitar Hero 2. It's an even more polished version of an already polished game. And the note sequences DO seem generally more "fun" than last time, too... I though I was just imagining it. 
God Of War 
holy shit!

Some of the best level design I have ever seen in a game, not only visually, but also with regard to the layouts and the way areas connect together. Actually, the layouts are kind of Prince of Persia: Sands of time-like, but the theming is incredible. Some of the entrances to areas just need to be seen - you would never have thought the visuals this game regularly puts in front of you would be possible on PS2, but it's right there, running smoothly and with almost never any loads.

The gameplay is pretty damn good too, so it's unlikely you will be dissapointed with the game at all - especially as it is cheap now ;)

note: I haven't yet finished the game, but I've played for 6-8 hours now and have only just reached the door before the minotaur (which I can't open yet). The game seems to be pretty long. 
Arrhj 
Metroid Prime: Been playing this on my Wii in anticipation of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Pretty good game so far, does an excellent job of converting the Metroid feel into a FPS. The only problem I have is turning is much too slow compared to PC games, and honestly gives me a headache and slight nausea sometimes just because it feels wrong. I think I'm about 15% into it or so, and it's pretty good so far.

I've also been playing Metroid Prime Hunters on my loveable onyx Nintendo DS. This game is blowing me away, not just because it's a good FPS, but because it's on the DS. The stylus control scheme is incredibly intuitive and only takes little bit of time to learn how to use. I'm only about 15% on this one too, but it's already super awesome fun fantastic; I just need to figure out how to get online to start kicking some Metroid ass (if anyone in the world plays this game online, which I doubt they do.)

I also started playing some Children of Mana, and though I'm not too far in, I like the art style but the gameplay seems pretty bad. Maybe it gets better, but we'll see.

I finished FF3 - quite good at the beginning but gets pretty stale towards the end, and is pretty damn easy to beat once all your characters are level 60+. The only bad part is that once you hit the end you most likely have to grind for several hours to get your characters in fighting shape, which gets boring and repetitive very quickly. Also, the story blows, and combat is also pretty lame, but to be honest I didn't try out every job in the game. Looking forward to FF6 though, that game should be pretty awesome.
Rating: Two half-eaten bananas.

Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time was fun, not as good as the first one, but interesting and holds your attention for 15+ hours. The ending battle is a bit of a letdown, especially if you played Super Star Saga, but the gameplay is fun and pretty refreshing as they continually change things up as you progress through the game.
Rating: 2.5 male strippers and a million rouples.

Also beat Resident Evil 4, and I have to say this is my newest fav. RE game and possibly my fav. survival-horror game ever. Lots of cool scenes drew me into the game, and I really felt like my life was in danger. Every time my head got cut off by a chainsaw my jaw dropped, as it did for plenty of other scenes. Lots of intense action, and the knife fight was incredibly fun. Tapping buttons at the right time was never so much fun (regardless of what other people think.)
Rating: A poster of CZG in his underwear standing on a pile of kittens. (That's a good thing.)

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves - Fun. Mindless, twitch-inspired fun.
Rating: Two-headed penis monster eating itself.

Megaman ZX: Short, but fun. The final level took me about 20-30 tries before I was able to beat it - it's just incredibly difficult to beat everything on one continue unless you're just really really good. Not as hard as the Megaman Zero games, but still a lot of fun.
Rating: Kevin Federline Super Bowl Ad. 
God Of War 
I bought this a year ago, eventually came around to opening the box, and beat it on 'pussy willows and kittens' difficulty. It's quite a lot of fun - I never figured myself to enjoy using a controller, but this is the kind of game in which it works. (an fps is not.)

Marvelous use of artistic style to play to the engine and console's strengths. Vertex light was unnoticeable, and things like low poly rocks were played up and stylized to look like they meant to do it that way.

I started playing through it again on 'skulls and spikes' difficulty, and still had fun despite the extremely heightened challenge. Difficulty that scales well without losing the fun is a HUGE factor in game quality that gets lost so damn often. 
Lun 
do the cutscene killmove button sequences get any tougher on the harder difficulty settings? I hate trying to do them because I am wank at that sort of game, so if they get harder I doubt I will bother to play through it again on a harder skill setting. 
FUCK! NO! 
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t90/badcrumble/icowandahf5cx4.jpg
Fucking Sony bitches now I have to buy a PS3! 
Czg 
Could you translate please ? 
No I Can't. 
There's only two words there I know;
ICO
PS3

fuckkk! 
Czg 
I will please save you the misery if you buy me the PS3 instead. 
My Japanese Still Sucks... 
but I think the black writing says that they are looking for new staff to join the ico and wanda teams on a new ps3 project. The red writing looks like someone asking what it could mean.

Personally, I've still got to play ico and wanda, but have them both on my shelf waiting to be played.

CZG: you can always wait until this new game is released before buying a PS3. It might turn out shit, be cancelled, or the price of the PS3 might drop in the meantime. 
Final Fantasy XII 
Got this over the holiday and have begun playing it recently. I'm probably about 7 hours into the game. (I'm currently at the big desert oil rig thing, if that helps you.)

Anyway, this is good. It's basically a single player RPG with MMORPG combat. I never played FFXI, but I can tell that a lot of the systems they have in XII were originally developed for XI. Since "random battles" that take place on a seperate battle screen instead of the world map are a staple of FF games since way back, this is the biggest change. The MMO influence means walking around, seeing your opponents, and making tactical decisions about whether to engage or sneak past, who to attack, etc, just like an MMO.

And the other cool new thing about it is the gambit system, which basically allows you to program the game to do the basic tasks that you used to have to do by hand. Since most battles in these kind of games involve using a standard strategy (A attacks, B heals, C casts fireball) it's nice to have a system that makes that part of the game. Now the gameplay is more about constantly tuning and adjusting your gambits so that the team works as effectively as possible.

(I've been trying to convince people at work to steal some of these ideas for our own squad combat system.)

Environments are mostly really good for a PS2, with only a few areas near the beginning that didn't please me. Once I got past those, there are some really cool environments.

After about 4 hours I got used to the backwards camera controls.

The male characters in this game are very pretty. They don't have boobs, though, so that's how you can tell them apart from the girls. 

The male characters in this game are very pretty. They don't have boobs, though, so that's how you can tell them apart from the girls.

But they all wear thongs? 
RPG 
But they all wear thongs?

I don't know, since I only look at girls' crotches. It follows that I would never have seen a thong being worn that wasn't being worn by a girl. 
Than 
do the cutscene killmove button sequences get any tougher on the harder difficulty settings?

Not that I noticed but I'm universally shite at them too so it may not say much. I think the delays are shorter? But it's not like they explode at you XXYXYAYBYAYBAY or anything. 
Prey 
playing it on the PC, but I can't be arsed to dig up the correct thread.

I like it. I'm not going to the spirit realm much because I am being careful and trying to enjoy the gameplay. Still, I haven't really gotten annoyed with the spirit realm, as it gets me back into the game as fast as quickload in Q4 on my machine and doesn't break up the gameplay quite as much.

Love the spacecraft sections - feels great after playing Quake 4's fucking abysmal vehicle sections. These sections and the game in general runs much better on my pc than Q4 also.

The only bad thing so far is the first boss. Despite being a Cyberdemon ripoff, he looked cool, but fighting him was boring - I basically just hid in the corner and popped him in the face when he started growling. I'm guessing the designers thought I would just die and go back to the spirit realm, but I am trying not to die (God knows why).

Anyway good stuff, and I'm really pleased with the performance on my system. Runs fine with a meagre 512mb of RAM and feels like HumanHead have really optimised the Doom 3 engine well despite all the crazy shit they have added to it. 
Okami 
I got this today (It wasn't released in Europe until last week) and I played it now for 7 hours straight.

It is a Zelda clone really, except it's good. It's more than good, it's fucking awesome.
The drawing gimmick that I thought would be nothing more than a gimmick is perhaps the best gameplay element I've seen in any game since, well, forever.

Example; to defeat a certain enemy you have to first agitate it by slicing it (draw a line across it), then it shoots fireballs that you have to deflect back at him (by slicing the fireballs), then when he's stunned you have to make him bloom (he's an evil flower) (draw a circle over him), then you can attack his core using either your melee weapon or by slicing him with your brush or by drawing an explosion on him (cirle + a fuse = a bomb).
Then there's the first boss where you have to tie it up in vines and stuff using the brush before you can attack it and and and it is the best game I've played forever and I am now a rabid fucking fanboy.

And like like stupid stuff like you can feed seeds and herbs to bunnies and pigs and sparrows to make them love you and when they love you enough you can get more ink to draw with or more health or whatever.

And the graphical style holy shit what can I say.

The only thing I object against is the fact that an artist took his time to draw Amaterasu's asshole.

The game even has a sassy frenchman and a girl with an assless skirt and a fairy living between her breasts.

Wow, just wow.

http://tothegame.com/screenshot.asp?id=3244 
Czg 
pls stop pimping games for platforms I don't have.

thank you. 
Czg 
The art book for that game is bloody fantastic. Although most of the illustrations are simple little drawings of the people, the actual detailed ones are just jaw-droppingly good. I wish it weren't for PS2 but for Wii, but once I get my PS2 back from my friend I may just pick that up.

Hurray Manhunt 2! 
Finished Prey 
Wonderful game. I really enjoyed it, and despite how silly and contrived the world seemed, I didn't care because it was inventive and fun to be in.

Also, I thought about deathwalk a bit at the end of the game and realised that although it meant I spent less time playing the game, it did mean I spent more time enjoying the game and not REplaying the game. Upon completion I was left with a satisfying feeling and realisation that I hadn't once let out a yelp of frustration. Sure, I was basically invulnerable for the whole game, but it never felt that way because I was trying to stay out of deathwalk as much as possible - I must have seen deathwalk at most 20 times during the whole game. Contrast that with doom 3 for instance - I must have at to replay sometimes large unenjoyable sections of levels way more times than that - some of Doom 3 was intolerably frustrating - especially if I saved when low on health before an annoying encounter.

During my time spent playing Prey I never shouted "FUCK" or grunted "ARGH!", though I often felt under pressure to stay alive. I think this was because of the heartbeat noise when you are low on health and also that you know there is a little more health to keep you going in every new area. Basically it was intense without the frustration that often accompanies intensity.

Anyway, after playing Prey, I'm not really sure I can be bothered to finish the FPS by numbers Quake 4 - which is so far a bit meh, the graphics are shit compared to Prey, and the level design isn't interesting.

By the way, the ending to Prey was great, and there was a huge buildup at the end where you keep thinking you've hit the end but you haven't quite got there. When you finally do finish the game, the ending isn't incredible, but it was certainly enough to make me feel really great about completing the game. 
Than 
Did you stay after the credits? There's another scene once they end. 
Zwiffle 
yeah, I watched it all. I was feeling pretty good when I finished the game so I just read through the credits and listened to the music. Prey 2, eh... Let's hope we can bet on the Duke before Prey 2. 
Marc Ecko's Prey 2: Apache Under Pressure 
I think you mean. 
Super Paper Mario 
WOOOOOOW. I know it's only psuedo-mind bending, but this game really has a great transition from 2D to 3D. This is like the Prey of Mario games (or 2D side scrollers, really.) The levels are witty, and the game is just plain fun. It's just crazy how they could imagine this stuff, let alone do it so well. I've only beaten the first chapter (out of 8 worlds so far) but this game has already got me hooked.

Hurray Wii! 
Hah 
There is a Super Paper Mario? Gotta grab that as soon as I see it... thanks Zwiffle! 
Crash Bandiccot 
I played it on my PS2 last evening. It was a long time I didn't switch on the console: Quake mapping has eaten my "playing time". Crash Bandicoot was in its time a fucking good game, but still enjoyable to play. The more I love is the "tornado" move, and the apples concept...
Still have fun with it :P 

I stayed at my parents' house the last week and my dad has a gamecube (huge racing game fan :-) so I got pretty deep into Battalion Wars.

It's a 3D realtime strategy game, without the resources part. You're given a number of units and an objective, and when you lose all units, you usually fail.

The cool thing is that you can "warp" into any unit in your battalion; you can become the rifle grunt, or the gunship, or the heavy tank. The missions are varied, from defend-the-flag to storm-the-castle to destroy-all-radar-stations so you can start a bombing run. The scenarios are HUGE, and the landscape is varied. There is a number of cool vehicles to drive, and many different unit types. You can assign tasks to every individual unit, or to a unit type, or to all units.

The graphical style is comicky, and the game's factions are caricatures of the USA, the Russians, the Germans and China or Japan (didn't encounter the last one.)

You can have frantic action, or chess-like tactics. There are multiple ways to complete your objectives. There is lots of air-to-ground and anti-air combat. There are counter-units to pretty much anything. There are even faction-specific units (the "Germans" have Giftgas (chemical weapons) and Panzerfaust troops, for example.)

Every faction's units are looking differently, from tidy green ("Western") to rusty and Sputnik-like style ("Russian") to field-grey and brutish ("Germans").

Every faction gets different background music and sounds; each has a band of "typical" leaders and officers who are really funny. I found the Western officers slightly annoying over time, they're real smartasses ("Enemy checkpoint... don't stop to show them your papers!") The Germans are just hilarious: "Expendable! You're all expendable! Ver arr my gunshipps?" Funny.

Literally all controller buttons/directions do something important; the game is demanding (you really need to RTFM here) and once you get the controls down, very fun and addictive. My dad, who is perhaps a typical "grown up computer user", couldn't get past the second mission because there are so many controls and he didn't bother to RTFM.

I couldn't put it down for days. Really, really cool game. You get to play all factions, too.

The other game I played was Need for Speed Most Wanted, which was very cool in the beginning but failed to keep my interest in the long run. Like all racing games. It all feels the same, you compete against a number of faceless blacklist drivers, and 80% of the cars are crap anyway. *shrug* Too simple, not deep enough, not enough replay value. But not bad for a racing game I guess.

Mario Kart was more fun, because you could play with 4 people, you had to work together and there were power-ups and stuff. But not enough tracks. A track editor would have been cool (like in Tony Hawk 2, which is by far the coolest console game I ever played.) 

what about Marc Eccko? 
So Yeah, The Darkness 
I just finished playing this and it's rather good actually. You guys should all buy it. 
ZOMG MARKETING SHILL 
GET OUT 

I'll buy a copy when you release it on PC (or Wii) 
ZOMG 
main character is Trent Reznor! 
Heh, 
No it's not, it's Mike Patton, who owns Trent's voice anyday. Actually I'm not sure if he did the voice for the main character, too lazy to check.
Looks like a nice game anyways, too bad I have no 360/ps3. =( 
Console Gaming 
an old native from our flat brought in an xbox a month or so ago, and people have been playing some nhl hockey games. It's quite dull. The Sega 2k5 version isn't any better than the EA one.

I guess all hockey games since NHL 94 for PC or so have just required one-timers for instagoals and never any from breakaways or straight shooting.

I guess I'll buy more memory for my comp and start playing ufo2000 again some day. When the internet starts working. The apartment company fucked it. Well, it's summer anyway so who needs it. 
Mario Galaxy Video 
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21742.html

Nice and high-res video showing mario galaxy gameplay. Looks cool, and the video is nice and high-res.

P.S. Why do the narrators of these videos always sound like morons? The guy is basically describing the game in the terms of a 5-year-old. "That is colorful." "I can jump from place to place." "I want the shiny thing."

I wonder if it's the same problem as when you try to have a conversation with someone playing a video game, where most of their brain is paying attention to the game, so they aren't able to put any real thought into what they're saying. They should probably get a second person to do the talking while the first guy plays. Maybe an actual designer instead of some associate-producer-drone guy that doesn't really understand WHY the game was designed the way it is.

"I wiggle my hand to climb the thing. It's real real intuitive and feels real good." How about "Older consoles have arbitrary commands mapped to buttons that all interact the same way, but the wii controller allows us to finally break from that and create a system that involves more muscle memory. So we use as much gestural input as possible, and tried to map distinctive hand motions to the most analagous in-game activites." Or SOMETHING. 
Hehe... 
Yeah Mario Galaxy looks really nice, can't wait.
About commentators (that a word?), yeah they always sound silly, some of the presentations for E3 this year have been really bad, like the girl describing Assassin's Creed, just bleh, where do they get these people? 
I Don't Get It 
what does look nice about it? the 2001 5-year-old-style?

ps. metl, that age group seems to be the target audience? :P 
Megaman: 
What looks nice about it is the gameplay mechanics, the level design, the amount of imagination present, etc. The general stuff that makes mario games good. I like mario games.

Oh and just the fact it isn't a super-lossy-compressed 200x120 youtube clip, that's nice too.

The target audience for press shows at E3 is adults. Also, just becuase a game is designed for kids (i'd say more like 10-year-olds in this case) doesn't mean it can be designed by kids. I'd rather hear about the philosophy and the decisions that went into the product that the most superficial play-by-play of what we're already seeing. 
Well, 
i was just provocating a bit. i never had fun playing the mario games, so im in the 1% that's not the target audience.

but seriously? Gameplay mechanics? it looks like it's still:
-jumping on top of enemies to kill them
-dodge/avoid enemies
-08/15 jump and run

but they added a flying mode� YEAH! ;) (no doubt everything will be finetuned to play nice and all) [wasn't there something with a feather that turned you into a flying fox in earlier games?]

Level design? ok, i guess the goodie/secret stuff might be interesting, and maybe how they use that kind of a setting to pull off attention spots.

imagination? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_the_Bee

hehe, guess this is just a matter of taste. 
Megaman: 
It looks like most FPS games are still about shooting rockets on enemies... can you give some better arguments? In my mind there are lots of similarities between the mario games and quake like games - both have a simple physics based ruleset that allows for complex scenarios and interesting ways of moving around the game world. 
Mario Levels That Play Themselves.... 
Super Mario World levels, that is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TED_JqcRaVE 
Better... 
here's a link to a "playlist" that makes youtube play them all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TED_JqcRaVE&feature=PlayList&p=DBA0F1B3B93370D5&index=0&playnext=1 
O.0 
0.o 
Heh 
"Automated Mario. Uncredible!"

laff 
O_o 
^_^;; 
Halo 3 
Ok, I just got this and played it for an hour today during my lunchtime (the only free time I have left now :{ )

Some of you may have noticed the ludicrous hype and obviously bought out/biased review scores this game is getting in the press.

All I can say from my first hour is that it seems quite cool and fun, but graphically it does look pretty dated for a 360 game (it's basically Halo 1/2 in hi-def with HDR and a few pixel shaders). The surprisingly sub-par character modelling/animation is quite apparent in the opening cutscene.

More impressions to follow I guess, but it looks initially like quite a bit of simplistic fun even if it doesn't exactly look cutting-edge :) 
Halo 3 
Sat down with my roommate, and completed it. Total playtime: around 6,5 hours. Either it's very short, or we're very, very good. Or both.

It was fun though, and a blast in coop. Not really different from the previous two games, but I didn't really expect it to be. However, it really could've used one more level in the campaign, with a more climactic ending and a better ending cinematic. "That's it?" we asked, as the credits started rolling. There was much better stuff in Halo 2 near the start, with a real sense of awe.

The Covenant were cool enemies, as usual, environments were varied, as usual, Flood quickly became dull and repetitive, as usual. It's a true sequel. 
Castlevania: Dawn Of Sorrow 
I just finished Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow for the DS. It's a standard "metroidvania" game in terms of the world exploration and using items to unlock new sections of the castle. There is also a "soul" system which I am told was already used in a previous castlevania game, but basically it is this: you get new abilities by collecting souls from the monsters and bosses. Some enemies have a very low chance of dropping a soul, so you either have to get lucky or farm the soul (which i did in some cases.) Boss fights were good.

The game is set up so that you don't have to collect all souls, explore all rooms, etc. In order to beat the game, but those goals are implicit in the "percentage complete" stats, so you have an incentive to collect everything. It sounds tedious, but they give you some items near the end of the game that makes it easier to clean up loose ends rather quickly, such as a ring that makes souls drop more frequently, another one that multiplies the amount of gold dropped by enemies, and some movement speed-increase souls.

One thing they didn't do much of, which is unfortunate, is making the new movement abilities create shortcuts through old areas in addition to unlocking new ones. Usually even after getting a new ability which unlocks a few areas, you still have to trudge through old areas at the same pace. 
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass 
I just picked up the new Zelda DS game over the weekend. Not much to say yet, but:

1. The game actually uses ONLY the touchscreen for all control, with the select button for the item menu. The dpad and B button do have a use, but it is redundant with an icon on the corner of the touchscreen, so you don't need them. You could actually play this game one-handed if you didn't have to hold the DS.

2. Unfortunately, I wish I didn't have to block my own view of the screen with my hand/stylus. Mario 64 solves this by putting the main 3D view on the top screen. Zelda can't do this because you're actually tapping on THINGS on the screen, drawing boomerang routes, etc, which requires drawing on the screen with all the action.

Anyway, seems cool so far, but it's too early to really judge it. 
Dementium: The Ward (nintendo Ds) 
the game takes place inside an abandoned hospital. on a rainy night. the player wakes up without any idea of whats going and so far (i'm on chapter 4) i still have no idea whats going on. hopefully something will start soon.

so here's a small list of what i think so far:

*atmosphere: the 1st time playing through it was very "whoaa!" but then, it gets very repetitive. its very typical horror stuff anyway. the music, the sounds, the setting...

*levels: they are wolf3d styled maps. corridor after corridor... and closets with boxes and such, and monsters sometimes inside of them. and if you hear a zombie and there are two closets on the corridor, you know he is in one of them.

the coolest part was so far was chapter two. going to the roof of the hospital was a nice break from corridors. but i am back to that.

the levels are detailed. if you ever been inside an abandoned building with lots of stuff left behind, you know its messy shit. and this is messy. with lots of blood. and very dark. oh yes, there is a flashlight, like doom3, i find myself using it a lot.

gameplay: so far puzzles are easy, and there was a very cool one (not story related but spolier maybe?) where you have to play keys on a piano, and the hint to the melody you have to play is written on the wall (with blood of course). and if you know about music notes and such, its easy to figure out.

the levels are populated with zombies or zombie looking creatures (they remind me of hl2 zombies) and they are not hard to fight once you get used to the movement.

the shit thing about this game is that every time you die, you start at the beginning of the chapter! say you are at the exit of a long level, you die and you have to start all over again. it sucks because every time you open a door to go inside a room, it saves the game! so why do i have to start from the beginning if the game was saved before i entered the room with the boss dude? gah. this is the only frustrating thing so far that i can think of.

music/sounds: well, again. very typical horror stuff. the piano melodies... the rain.. the kids voices on the dark deserted corridors... it still gives the game a cool atmosphere.

anyway. i am stuck on chapter four. there is a boss battle and i keep dying. the dude is too strong, and there is no health (that i haven seen) on the room i am suppose to fight this fat monster. :-(

if the level design was more varied, or at least, wasn't just corridor after corridor, it would be pretty awesome. i mean, there is a port for doom and it looks to run pretty smooth, so why cant they have at least levels that way? but whatever, it doesn't suck. and i am curious to know why the player is on this abandoned hospital, and what happened and blah blah. the atmosphere, even though is very clich� horror stuff, is pretty cool too. though i cant say its scary.

i just wish one wouldn't have to start from the beginning of each chapter (or level) every time one dies. and damn this boss battle! the dude is tough! gah.

if the review sucks or its confusing, then i blame lack of sleep. :)

man, wrote so much. hehe. 
Oh Yes 
http://dementium.com/enter.html link to the game's website.

there are tons of things i didn't say and you can look at screenshots and all that stuff. 
Nonono 
You have to tell what the game is LIKE not tell about the plot and atmosphere. Is it a shooter? An RPG? 3d? 2d? Realtime? Turn-based? Sigh. 
Ok, Well Then... 
haha, i suck at reviews. :D

its a horror fps. 3d. real time. not turned based. and a few sighs too. its slow, lots of exploration which i like in games, but its very linear so far. what i hate is that it takes place in a hospital, and i never knew hospitals had so many storage closets! gah. 
Looks Pretty Good 
Might have to get that, as soon as I complete all the battle maps for Advance Wars. 
A Couple Of Games I Be Playing 
Stranglehold (360):

Clunky, unpolished, and a complete rip-off of Max Payne and the whole Matrix bullet-time thing, but bugger me with a fire hydrant if this isn't more fun than a bag of weasels.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (360):

Whoa, this is more than a little bit more impressive than previous COD offerings. The gulf (no pun intended) in quality between this and last year's COD3 makes me wonder exactly how they managed to bang this one out so quickly. (Ah, nevermind, they were different teams working in parallel no doubt sharing assets and a codebase).

Medal of Honour: Airborne (360)

Well you see the interesting thing here is that you start each mission on board a plane and have to- ooh hey is anyone using that copy of COD4 over there? No? Mind if I have a quick... 

Super Mario Galaxy: Simply the greatest game ever made.

Nintendo has made pure, concentrated awesome here. Every level is filled with varried challenges, great visuals, and well designed mechanics that are used very well throughout.

Go buy it now. If you don't have a Wii, get both. Now. 
Assassins Creed 
Better than Mario

Its soooooo much better than Oblivion I could cry, Oblivion team probably are crying.

Similar roof-to-roof antics as Crackdown, jaw dropping graphics, etc, a lot like Theif otherwise... 
Orcs & Elves Ds 
cant say anything about it since i cant find it anywhere! and it came out on the 13th. :(
you get a free stylus too, which looks like wooden staff. i think its u.s only though.

still, why stores don't have this game? why i says! whai!! 
I Have Wiimotes 
but no tv, wii, or mario - should I get all of the three missing things? 
Moar 
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii): Mario 64 with Wii gimmicks. The best Wii game around at the moment, but in this gaming climate it doesn't quite feel like the second coming of Jesus (like 64 did).

Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction (PS3): Not very far into this, but it's obvious from the start that this is just simply a much prettier and more balanced version of its PS2 predecessors.

Assassin's Creed (360): an ultimately dull medieval-flavoured Crackdown knock-off that somehow lacks the free-roaming fun of its "inspiration" game. With the stealth elements coming across as rather unimaginative and under-developed, this game ends up leaping off the spire but sadly landing just a couple of feet short of the hay wagon. 
Oops 
somehow I eneded up writing "scampie" in the name field instead of "scampie:" in the title... 
Kinn 
Is the second player star bits thing worth buying a second controller for - have you tried it?

I haven't bought the game yet but I'm basically collecting top down from the metacritic high scores list. 
2-player Mario 
Ijed: it appears that the idea behind the second player star bit collecting is to appeal to those who maybe don't really play games, but would enjoy being given an easy side-role to the main player.

Seasoned gamers would find it a bit boring, but I'm sure say, a girlfriend or family member for example might find it amusing. Thing is you can make Mario jump using either controller, which has the potential for all sorts of mischievous sabotage by player 2 - it certainly did when I tried it >:} 
Gah 
we bought mario galaxy for my sister's birthday, haven't played it yet, but i did look while my sister played and man, it looks very childish to me. the graphics and all... a few parts looked very gay too! like too cute or something. i don't think mario should be all mature w/ blood and guts and shit, but a lot of times it looks gay! :)

still, it looks fun. and its mario, i always liked the mario platform games. 2d or 3d. they are always fun, so i'm sure this one will be too. 
Oh Yes 
dont hate me. :) 
I Hate You 

As With Many Things 
really, it's all about looking beyond the visuals.

Although I'm beyond the stage in my life that uses the term "gay" to describes things that I don't like/understand, I felt the same with Zelda: Wind Waker. I hated the visual style so much, I never bothered really getting into it. I'm sure it's a good game though. 
Wind Waker 
really seems to divide people into camps but to me visuals were among the best video game visuals I've seen. It did have a lot of uninspired parts but the highlights were VERY good.

There are so many games that try to be at the cutting edge of graphics technology but totally forget about style and design. 
What You're Saying Is 
it's Marmite basically. 

i don't hate galaxy because how it looks. it looks very pretty and its looks like its a really cool game, just thought it looked too cutesy and kinda like made for girls in some parts.

but whatever. i like the original nes kirby game a lot. and i feel the same way about the cuteness of that game as i do with galaxy. but never hated it.

as for wind waker. well, i dont know. never played it, and i remember only one or two screenshots i saw from it. i did get phantom hourglass for the ds, which is my first zelda game ever. i played the 1st zelda game on a nes emulator, but only for a small time. i wish i could find it for the game boy advance though, since it has a save feature.

one thing i noticed is that in mario galaxy, mario has a guide, just lik in super paper mario. and on phantom hourglass, the player has a guide as well! whats with all these spiritual guides on nintendo games? are these all or there are tons more? 
Well 
Kinn - So I can't really convince my wife it'd be a present for her, then . . .

As to Wind Waker, I liked the art style. The only game I'd seen before that did cell shading (and nowhere near as well) was XIII. WW did seem a bit rigid though and counter to the style of the Zelda games. The same happened to the gameplay - the first time I played through not a single boss was really dangerous, which is pretty tedious - removing all the challenge or sense of accomplishment.

It was an experiment that didn't fail 100% but I wasn't a huge fan (even though I did finish it more than a few times). And all the filler of sailing around on a boat instead of beating dungeons - WTF?

Anyhow, at least it was followed by Twilight Princess. It's nothing revolutionary, basicly its another Zelda game with more stuff; but that could never be a bad thing.

Mind you, they did make link an androdgenous looking character, even giving wolf link a cute little earring.

For me the best Zelda game ever made is still Link's Awakening for th gameboy - although I have missed Minish Cap and a couple of others, like Four Swords. 
Ffs Kinn 
I never had an N64 so both Twighlight Princess and Mario Galaxy were like the second coming - The Phantom Hourglass was also better than TP imo, much more fun, more character and since it wasn't as ridiculously long I never got bored.

I Doubt I could go back to Mario 64 (which I never played) now because of not only the advances in graphics since then, but because the Wii controls have added so much to Galaxy.

Looking forward to playing the new Ratchett game at the office, and whilst I enjoyed the demo at TGS, I'm not sure it's going to even come close to how much fun Mario is. I'm mainly interested in it for its graphics :) 
Yeah... 
I have 20 stars in Mario Galaxy, great game, having lots of fun with this, and it looks great (especially for a Wii game). 
Wind Waker Vs. Twilight Princess 
I think they're pretty equal, both have mix of parts that has rather brilliant game design and visuals intertwined with booring sequences and less than stellar looks.

Twilight princess could definitely have been a better game with some parts simply thrown away. 
Mario64 
i have it for the ds, and its fun. but i don't know, its not as mind blowing as people say it is... maybe you had to play it back then?

anyway, the controls on the ds sometimes suck, but its not bad. sometimes i get hooked on it for days, then i just stop playing it all together :)

i know its not the same thing as the original, because you start with yoshi! agh, i hate the green dude. except on yoshi's island, that one rules hell :)

ijed: so link's awakening is fun stuff? i found phantom hourglass to be very cool stuff! the puzzles are fun (but one left me wondering for hours until i check on a walkthrough online). so i know i'd like to check more zelda stuff in the future. are there more i should know? at least, for the gameboy. cant say i know much about zeldas. 
Werl 
I enjoyed links awakening becuase the puzzles were logical; my facourite was knocking dwn th etower

fuck

ill respod tommorow 
Nintendo Wii - Absolutely Fucking Brilliant !! 
Two of my friends girlfriends have bought them Nintendo Wiis and I really want one! All we were playing was Wii Sports and Mario somethingorother sports, and I was sceptical about it all at first, but I have to say that It was really good fun! Boxing is very tiring, as is Hurdles, golf is daft (but fun), my favourite was trampolining (lol!) and bowling was also a winner (bowling is brilliant, just like bowling!) - we all sat around drinking bear, taking turns between four, our having one on one races and stuff, and it was really good!!

czg - fantastic way to merge computer gaming with weight loss ;-P 
Yeah 
Alot of fun, just playing through Metroid Prime 3 now, the interactive locks / machines with the wiimote are good and I like how they've simplified the game whilst expanding on what was good in the earlier ones. It's not as difficult, but I haven't unlocked hard mode yet.

Christ, looking at #138 reminds me not to post drunk. 
Contra 4 
just got this on the DS for christmas. 100% oldschool with one-shot kills, and when you run out of continues, you have to start over from the beginning.

So far i can get to the stage 2 boss fight, but haven't beaten it yet.

My only gripe so far is that they make you listen to the entire "game over" song before you can choose "continue." Argh. 
Contra4 
i got as far as level4. the 3d one was easy as hell though, but man, i suck at this. and i wish i could continue playing where i left off whenever i want to play it again :( 
CONTRA MOTHERFUCKIN' 4! 
The greatest game ever made. I can make it to the 4th level on normal constantly without a death, but the missle/boss section will always bleed a few kills out of me and it's down hill from there. Can usually get to the final level.

But the real joy in the game is the challenges (go beat easy mode and unlock them if you haven't. Easy mode ends after stage 6, and you always have level2 weapons). Doing the challenges unlocks stuff like extra characters, and other totally awesome stuff. 
Oh 
and read it's instruction manual. It has alot of good humor I appreciated. 
Contra 4, Etc. 
Contra 4 is indeed cool. I've made it to level 4 once so far, on normal.

Also, other stuff? Bionic Commando is not only going to be remade as a next-gen 3D game, but also being remade as an x-blox live arcade game type thing, with 2D gameplay but 3D rendering. Looks sweet.

Also, just got a Wii, but no games yet. 

I'm getting ready to mail back my 2nd 360 - red rings of joy! Ridiculous. 
360's 
Are basically badly manufactured. I know of around 7 needing to be sent back from both the red rings and just generally falling apart (battery pack on top disconnecting - happened twice believe it or not).

There's a rumour that using a surge protector can cause failure because the unit needs a high constant current. But like anything electronic a power spike can also fry it, so probably only Billy knows what the proper solution is. 
Pspee 
im thinking of getting a psp in the future, but i dont know. the only reason is so i can play quake1/2 and doom/heretic/hexen on it. and old nes games with an emulator or something.

i cant think of any game on the psp i'd like to try though. playstation is kinda alien to me.

if only the ds was as easy get ports running without having to buy some memory card adapter and shit, i'd stick with it. but damn nintendo to hell.

anyway, do you guys think its worth buying a psp just to play ports of pc games and maybe having it run emulator of old consoles and such? 
Nakasuhito 
What you need to do is google "PSP HOMEBREW". Thats what they call custom games setups for the PSP, of which there are LOADS!! :D
You have to get the correct 'firmware' installed on your PSP, (firmware - like the OS version) it all can be done (all required files/hacks can be easily downloaded for free from the internet), but you may have to mess around with it for a while before you get it to work...

I tried installing Quake on my girlfriends PSP, and I could get it to the icon/title on the screen, but then it would crash. This is because I had the wrong firmware version on the PSP... Good luck man, its all do-able!

Willem/Ijed

Hehe, I've had my 360 for about two years now, and I have never had a single red light on it (probably tempting fate saying this...)

On the other had, when I bought it, I brought it home, set it up and plugged it in, tried to turn it on and it wouldnt come on (no power at all), so I had to get the first one swapped back in the shop I bought it from. The replacement has worked fine ever since...

Which is great really, cause GTA4 (the game I bought it for) is coming out the 29th of July!

Metlslime - Wii

Have you turned your new Wii on yet - you say you have no games, but doesnt your Wii have Wii sports already installed on it? Two of my friends have Wiis, and they both have Wii sports on them - fucking brilliant game!! Well worth a go! :-D 
29th APRIL!!!!!! (GTA4^^^) :-( 

"Hehe, I've had my 360 for about two years now, and I have never had a single red light on it (probably tempting fate saying this...) "

Yeah, I used to say the same thing - until my 360s started dying. It's not a matter of 'if' - it's 'when'. :) 
Wii 
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/nomoreheroes

Is definitely the next game I'll be buying. It's from the same studio that did Killer7. 
Ricky: 
I'd played enough wii sports at other people's houses that i don't have a huge desire to play it... but I did play a round of each game just for fun. 
PSP 
The future of PSP belongs to Patapon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp173Si-XZM

PATA PATA PATA PON

You can control an army, making them march and attack and so far by giving commands through the war drums. 
Lol 
the video doesn't really show how that's supposed to work 
Many Worlds Mario 
This is similar to "Averaging Gradius" mentioned previously. A bunch of recorded runs of the same Super Mario World level, played simultaneously so you can see where the various runs seperate and converge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2OytHzZ72Y 
Ps2 
i decided that instead of getting a psp, im going for a ps2 :)

mostly because i remembered a game that i wanted to play when it came out, and sucks that there is no pc port! or even a wii port or something (said game is shadow of the colossus)

i'll probably get one by the end of the month, with these games:

the warriors
shadow of the colossus
katarami damacy

i also thought of getting on the far future the silent hill games and the god of war games too. and find ico for cheap somewhere as well. and the grand theft auto trilogy with all 3 games, because its cheap! :)

any other ones i should know about?

man, and to think i used to believe consoles sucked! :) 
Nakashhito... 
don't forget guitar hero if you haven't already played it. Also, psychonauts... final fantasies... 
The Warriors??? 
?

Get Taiko drum master with controls (maybe not available outside japan?) 
Bear 
the warriors: http://ps2.ign.com/articles/658/658876p1.html

you and metlslime just listed the games i doubt i'll ever get, except for psychonauts. that one looks funky as hell.

anyway, i have been so bored lately that i just went out and got a ps2. with colossus, and man, that game is fucking awesome! gah!! 
Psp 
for psp just don't upgrade to the firmware by sony, do a direct homebrew search... 
Wii Sports Bowling 
yeah. 
Wii Fit 
So yeah, Wii Fit. It's actually pretty good!

The "board" functions as a scale and pressure pad and can determine your balance, movement, center of gravity, etc from the way you stand and move on it. The board is well made and feels very solid.

They have a good range of games in there under 4 categories (yoga, muscle training, aerobics and balance). You start out with a few games in each category, and unlock more as you go. Many of them are quite fun and novel, and they make good use of the board (which seems to be very sensitive, depending somewhat on how the games are tweaked, but it certainly can pick up an impressive range of movement).

Yoga and muscle training are more like traditional exercise/stretching (complete with "trainers" that have dodgy models and annoying voices), so they're not really "games" as such, but the balance and aerobics categories include plenty of actual games that are fun and will entice you to play them for the hell of it, rather than simply doing it to keep fit.

The game makes full use of the Mii avatars, so you can choose your own Mii and the game will be populated with any others that you've created as well. It's not exactly an intense workout (at least at the beginner level I'm at) but it'll get you moving in lots of different ways, and you'll feel it by the end of your session. 
Odd 
No love for console gaming anymore? This thread had even dropped off the main page... 
Nintendo DS 
Final Fantasy Tactics A-2
Disgaea DS
Myst DS
FFIV
list goes on and on... 

Currently playing GTA IV. Rocks! 
Currently Playing: 
Zelda: Twilight Princess on the gamecube. Not sure why I didn't try it sooner tbh - it's great :}

The oddly antiquated midi music and lack of voice acting feels a bit stuck in the past, but that might be more to do with a memory limitation of the gamecube than anything else. Besides, the music is still good, and I'd rather have no voice acting than crap voice acting.

I deliberately picked up the gamecube version over the Wii, because quite frankly I tried the Wii version and the wrist-flicking sword control got tedious after ~10 mins.

Will refrain from posting more impressions until I get more of a feel for the game - only just over 10 hours in, currently doing the second dungeon I think (Goren Mines). 
MGS4 
Anyone picked it up yet? Planning to get my hands on it before Monday (hopefully). 
Is That 
the game with the 2 hour cut scenes? :) 
MGS4 
My buddies and I are looking for a place that rents PS3s... 

I think those are called retail stores with return policies. 
MGS4 
First of all, if you somehow managed to live under a rock and havent heard about MGS4, watch this first to get the general idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T9GgZERaIA

So I picked up my copy today and spent a good few hours playing through Act 1 and I can now with confidence say the game is worth it's hype and then some.

I haven't played any of the previous installments and I am not a big fan of the stealth action genre in general (loved Thief series, absolutely hated Splinter Cell games), however the game so far seems to offer just the right balance between stealth and action and you can basically just pick a playstyle you like and just use it, you can go in all guns blazing or you can go covertly and finish a mission without being seen once. There are some points in the game (so far in Act 1) where the game forces you to go all out action, but I havent seen any forced and frustrating stealh parts.

The game looks, feels and sounds absolutely mind-blowing, it's quite easily the best looking game released so far on any system, ever. At times, I had trouble wrapping my head around the fact that the cutscenes were all done in-game and the transitions between gameplay and cutscenes are always done smoothly. The ridiculous attention to detail, quality artwork, the soundscape and the cutscenes providing the backstory all setup a very convincing and emotional feeling as you play through the game. 
Is There 
actually any game in it besides the 2h cut scenes? 

I've seen several people saying it's the greatest game they've ever played. Yes, ever. Not sure how much hyperbole that is but there you go. 
MGS4 
It's really weird cause all the actual gameplay vids I've seen looked really boring, but I'm not into stealth action, and I really have trouble with third person games (one of the reasons I could never get into GoW for instance).
I'd really like to try it though, out of curiosity. 
Is There A Video 
of actual in game gameplay?

Also, I don't get it, the player controls a geriatric ninja? ;) 
Megaman 
Stop repeating what you heard other retards say on the interweb, there are no 2h cutscenes and there are no 1h cutscenes either. 
MGS4 Gameplay Vid 
Yeah... 
Saw that vid already, I loled at the part where he grabs a statue's penis for camouflage, but otherwise it just doesn't talk to me, not really my type of gameplay I guess. 
Jago 
So, how far are you into the game? 

He already played through the 10 hours gameplay now he has to go through the remaining 23 hours of cutscenes and outro.

Sorry, but that joke is not old yet. :p 
Hehe 
I like it when he opens the mens magazine, that made me laugh out loud :)

I have to agree with Bal though, it doesn't really look like my kind of game I think. It doe's have some nice ideas though! 
Vigil 
I am guestimating I am somewhere around the midlle of Act2. Last save was right around the place where I was supposed to escape Laughing Octopus after talking to Naomi. 
Pretty Good Video Review 
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35051.html

and yes, they complain on the cutscenes, the levels are linear, but you can choose tactics (its not just stealth ) and details are great

what I wanted to point is that many super-detailed current-gen blockbuster games use very limited color palete. I guess you simply have to do it in the age of visual overload to have some style and to hilight the important events and information.

btw Im so tired of hyped-up fanbois. stop doing the job for the PR jerks. go play your 9.9 out of 10 best-fps-ever Halo 
Jago 
i actually sat through (what felt like) the first 2h of cutscenes with 10minutes of gameplay in mgs3. 
MGS4 
The feedback I'm getting from actual people (not the stupid media) is that in general, the MGS fanboys are wanking over this (and they had already declared it the best game ever 2 years before it was released anyway).

Meanwhile people without any attachment to the series (or just simply new to it) are sort of giving it a "meh". 
Kinn 
As I mentioned, I haven't played any of the previous MGS games before (ironically, apparently my girlfriend has played MGS2 to death), yet I had very little trouble "getting it". 

One such review from someone who was not impressed. The screen captions are great.

http://www.crispygamer.com/_GeneratedPages/GameReviews/Review170.aspx 
Cutscenes And Their Lengh 
Some people seem to have a lot of gripe with the amount and lenght of the cutscenes in MGS4, so let's talk about that a bit.

Yes, there are SOME cutscenes that are a bit too long and perhaps a bit boring, but I just got to Act 3 and so far I've only seen such cutscenes occur perhaps twice. My guess is that most of the people who have this huge problem with MGS4 cutscenes are those who don't care about the backstory, plot and the universe the game resides in and just want nonstop buttonmashing action, because that's about the only explanation I can come up with.

I found the game universe revealed via the cutscenes to be very involving and rather emotional. Yes, there are lots of cutscenes, they some of them are pretty long, but why does it make the game bad? A few of my friends have been watching me playing and have been commenting that the production and graphics quality of the game combined with the game plot revealed in the cutscenes easily rival a lot of actual Hollywood movies. And this is precisely my definition of next-gen gaming: seamlessly blending the line between movie (storytelling) and game (interactive action) entertainment. 
No 
And this is precisely my definition of next-gen gaming: seamlessly blending the line between movie (storytelling) and game (interactive action) entertainment.

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

no.

(sorry I couldn't come up with anything cleverer than that.) 
Kinn 
Why? I am assuming you are trying to say it's a bad thing? 
Wow 
he really didn't enjoy it. I keep wanting to try it, but as I didn't like Twin Snakes because of a. crap camera, b. shit controls and c. way too many cutscenes with a greater length than the gameplay sequences I think it's probably best I avoid it.

At least he is giving his honest subjective opinion though. Perhaps he is revelling a bit in the controversy, but I'm not sure crispy gamer is a particularly well known site so I doubt people are going to get too fired up about it.

It's crazy how stupid people can be when a game they like gets a bad or even just non-perfect score on a big review site. Anyone remember the fuss that got kicked up about Zelda Twightlight Princess getting an 8.9 or something on Gamespot. 8.9 is a good score and the reviewer had some fair criticisms and who the hell is anyone to tell him what he should and shouldn't like. It's kind of sad how childish a lot of people are online and also a shame that nobody cares about what is written in reviews when there is a score attached.

p.s. I recommend listening to the Games For Windows podcast each week as it's very entertaining, mostly PC related and they often talk about problems reviewing games, the relevance of scores and pressure from publishers to score a game highly even if it's a pile of shit.
http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3148397
Sean Elliot is a clown (in a good way) but well spoken and smart, and I respect his opinion more than most journos. A couple of the other regulars are very likeable too (Jeff Green and the Silent Bob of the podcast, Ryan Scot). Despite being sponsored by Microsoft, they often criticise the Games for Windows platform, windows itself and make jokes about the security of their jobs. Definitely worth a listen. 
Wow 
he really didn't enjoy it. I keep wanting to try it, but as I didn't like Twin Snakes because of a. crap camera, b. shit controls and c. way too many cutscenes with a greater length than the gameplay sequences I think it's probably best I avoid it.

At least he is giving his honest subjective opinion though. Perhaps he is revelling a bit in the controversy, but I'm not sure crispy gamer is a particularly well known site so I doubt people are going to get too fired up about it.

It's crazy how stupid people can be when a game they like gets a bad or even just non-perfect score on a big review site. Anyone remember the fuss that got kicked up about Zelda Twightlight Princess getting an 8.9 or something on Gamespot. 8.9 is a good score and the reviewer had some fair criticisms and who the hell is anyone to tell him what he should and shouldn't like. It's kind of sad how childish a lot of people are online and also a shame that nobody cares about what is written in reviews when there is a score attached.

p.s. I recommend listening to the Games For Windows podcast each week as it's very entertaining, mostly PC related and they often talk about problems reviewing games, the relevance of scores and pressure from publishers to score a game highly even if it's a pile of shit.
http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3148397
Sean Elliot is a clown (in a good way) but well spoken and smart, and I respect his opinion more than most journos. A couple of the other regulars are very likeable too (Jeff Green and the Silent Bob of the podcast, Ryan Scot). Despite being sponsored by Microsoft, they often criticise the Games for Windows platform, windows itself and make jokes about the security of their jobs. Definitely worth a listen. 
Shit 
triple post.

for some reason the post went through but my message box remained full so I just assumed I hadn't pressed the button.

Sorry 
What Kinn Said. 
Cutting from a situation where you have complete control, to one where you have none and can just sit back and watch, isn't exactly what I would call "seamlessly".
Yeah I'm a fanboy, but check Portal instead for seamlessly integrated story.

If I want to watch a movie, I'll watch a movie. Yeah that's being a bit extreme, I guess I wouldn't mind a game with a really good story and cutscenes (maybe that's the case with MGS4), but that's definitely not how I hope next-gen gaming will evolve (probably will be though -___-).
Oh and most holywood movies suck, so that's not much of a comparison. 
Answer 
non-interactive cutscenes are (in my opinion) a pretty dated and lazy way of progressing a games story and (more often than not) filling in for a lack of actual playable content.

"Next-gen" games, in my opinion - and you can write this off as idealistic bollocks if you want - should be moving in the exact opposite direction - away from cutscenes and towards (the ultimate goal of) incredibly rich and immersive real-time worlds that the player can interact with in as many ways as possible. In short, let the player create the story - not some hack wannabe filmmaker. 
Pouet Pouet 
Yeah That One Was Cool In 2002 
Now It's Not.

[b]DEAL WITH IT.[/b] 
REALLY Seamlessly Blending The Movie And Game 
hey I have a great idea how to make a movei into
a game in no time:
Just take a movie, I mean the video itself, right. Add Quick-Time-Events(*) to each scene that has any hint of action. Yes! You have to timely perform that arbiturary button sequence to watch the next chapter of the movie. And again.
Instant seamless blend of a movie(real actual movie!) and a game.
Can I patent this? I call this "Next-Gen Cinematic Gaming" �

*Quick-Time-Events: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=544#more-544 
Heh 
I'm sure it's been patented already by someone. 
There Was A CD Rom 
game in the early 90's just like that. You had to time your button control movement to the movie cut scene footage or else your character was good as dead. Forget the name of the title though. 
Sounds 
like all those Mega-CD games 
Ping Pong 
Kinn Wins 
non-interactive cutscenes are (in my opinion) a pretty dated and lazy way of progressing a games story and (more often than not) filling in for a lack of actual playable content.

Exactly, I think this is why more and more people are getting pissed off with cut-scenes in games, because we've all seen that it can be done better without cut-scenes. You can look as far back as Half-Life 1 to see that, yet some developers just don't seem to get it.

Another game I played recently that has some fairly long cut scenes is Mass Effect, except here they play part of the scene and then give the player a choice about what action to take next. I won't put any spoilers here but there are some major decisions being made in these cut scenes and the fact that you get to make them yourself adds a lot of weight to them. 
^^ 
Hehe, that last paragraph sounds horridly like those old FMV games :) 
I Liked It 
in Resident Evil 4 - a knife fight where the characters were growling plot at each other, every now and then you had to swing the wiimote or else get a cutscene of your guy getting his throat cut.

It didn't matter that it was a Res storyline (ie. crap) or that it could be repetitive retrying it since it was only a few different movements you had to do.

The good thing was it seemed like a really difficult and dangerous bit of the game because of the storyline fight going on, when really you could probably do it with not even looking at the screen, sound only. 
Eek 
don't get me started on quick time events :( 

Quick Time Events are the fucking devil. Die already. 
Don't Agree 
Badly implemented good ideas are bad.

Bad ideas are bad.

And I've seen quicktime events that I liked, but most (GOW) are a pain in the balls. 

I don't think I've seen one yet that I liked but I'd like to be proven wrong. 

I thought about that, my "Next-Gen Cinematic Gaming" � will only have 1 button controll and a motion sensor. It will be gun-shaped ofcourse!
And dont compare with those old games. You dont understand. "Next-Gen Cinematic Gaming" � will use full real movies. Seamlessly Blending The Movie And Game man, thats the future! kojima would agree 
Satire On Mgs :) 
Cut Scenes, My Personal Opinion 
If Deus Ex did it, than there is a successful way to make an element work.

But if you do have them, obey the rules of action
flick cinema, get in fast, say what you have to say inside of half the time necessary to say it and not a second more and get out fast. 
Kinn Is The Law 
Thou shall obey or thou shall be judged and found wanting! 
Mega Man 9 
Old school Mega Man goodness!!!!!!!!!!

Have you ever been excited about a game that goes back to 15 year old technology? I have now. 
The Last Days Of Dr. Wily 
Mgs4 
What kind of an gay wet dream overlord of model is Snake?
http://www.gfdata.de/archiv07-2007-gamefront/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20070724063651667.jpg
That gigantic ass crack... And the ass humping when slowly crawling. Yuck! 
CAPTAIN RAINBOW! 
"I Have A Rendezvous With Death" 
So Yeah 
Fable 2. It's pretty good. 
In Response To Kinn 
Some games have stepped out of that mold and are experimenting with new ways of advancing the storyline. Dead Space never take a break from the action for new text and audio logs which advance the storyline of the game and while watching the videos, you can still interact with the environment and even be attacked. I know there are some infuriatingly null moments when you are waiting for some NPC to finish his/her speech, but it will probably be less and less in the future if other developers catch on with that idea that the experience should never take a break from the action. 
Bioshock Did That Too 
you could listen to the audio logs and carry on playing the game... quite a good idea really. 
And Doom3 
I don't think it's anything special, culturally - just that the people who've been making those comments for years finally work in games.

Gamers tend to prefer more input = consequences, as opposed to quicktime type solutions.

Sorry for bringing that back up just when most had had their say. 
AND System Shock 2 FFS. The Mother Of Logs :( 

Yeah, But 
AND System Shock 2 FFS. The Mother Of Logs :(

If you find the monkey proposition easter egg, it is totally worth it. 
I Did The Mother Of Logs 
this morning, after a particularly challenging chicken vindaloo the previous night. To use a cinematic metaphor, I would go as far as to describe the whole experience as a "Jerry Bruckheimer moment" at least in the sense that the emotional investment it tried to demand from me didn't really pay off in the climax; it may have been an explosive three-flush porcelain-pebbledasher, but there's only so much you can do to disguise the fact that it was just another rather predictable turd. I came out of the toilet feeling manipulated to say the least :/ 
Jesus Fucking Christ 
[nt] 
Nice 
builds a charming metal picture 
My Best Ever 
and I will spare the details because I'm a fecalphobe, but I was driving home one morning after having a late night diner at a Greek restaurant in Washington DC where I had a shell fish dish, and I had to stop at a McDonald's to use the facilities. In the middle of doing my business, the guy in the next style over yelled at me something like, 'you son of a bitch, that smell . . ." and then he preceded to puke. Yup, so bad it made a guy puke. Beeming with pride here. 
Quick 
Someone move this discussion back to console gaming before it's too late.

I know!

How about that one game on that console? Sure was a good/bad/average game, wasn't it? 
Nah, It Was Shit... 

Gears Of War 2 
Hey, if any of you guys are picking up Gears 2 and want to play this weekend, I'll be playing a lot of multiplayer. If you want to party up, friend me as "WarrenM".

See you out there! 
Damn, Gears 2 
need to get me an xbox. Willem, would you mind if I passed on your gamertag to my little brother? Pretty sure he's got Gears2 on pre-order and I bet he'd love to play against a developer :) 

Sure. I can't guarantee I'll accept the friend request but tell him my tag, "WarrenM". Come find me. :) 
Gears 2: Qonquer Mode?!?! 
Just watched the video review on IGN - there seems to be a Qonquer mode. Nice. 
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 
I just finished this game. Short summary: decent game, but you could skip it.

Longer summary: The first Metroid Prime was an excellent game in almost all respects, with a whole set of new 3D game mechanics that fit the Metroid feel, great envioronment art and level design, and good boss fights too. Everything worked and it felt like Metroid.

This sequel (as expected) continues all of those successful game mechanics, introduces some new ones of which none really enhances the experience, and strays a bit from the Metroid vibe with the storyline and the use of cutscenes and HALO-style FPS tropes.

So what's new?

Wii Controller

The control scheme from the earlier Prime games had to be re-mapped from a gamecube controller to the wii controller. Since the wii has a pointing device, this means that the big success is the aiming and shooting, which feels very good. The "lock on" mechanic of the gamecube Primes is still there but less important now that you are able to aim so easily.

Aside from that, there are fewer buttons on the wiimote and they are layed out pretty awkwardly, so a lot of secondary functions are mapped to weird buttons that are hard to reach. The designers had a moment of inspiration when figured out how players would switch visors: hold a button and aim at a region of the screen. If they had taken this to the logical conclusion they could have put even more options on this on-screen menu, and reduced the need for physical buttons even more.

Weapons and Abilities

There are no new weapons that introduce anything really novel to Metroid Prime, though all of the beams are slight variations of previous concepts (e.g. ice missles) or slight tweaks (e.g. upgraded grapple beam can damage opponents)

The only new major ability introduced is the Screw Attack, an old 2D favorite which didn't really belong in a first-person game. It's reintroduced here with an automatic switch to a third-person view when activated. To me it felt pretty much like a gimmick, you can only really use it on special "screw attack" walls means that it is just a key to get past a certain type of gate.

There was also a new minor ability; there are special green "grab ledges" which if you jump towards, Samus will grab and climp up, like prince of persia. Once again the camera switches to a third-person view, which i would say indicts both the screw attack and grab ledges as things which do not belong in a first-person game. They are just an excuse to play a cutscene. Speaking of cutscenes, more on that later.

Hypermode

The subtitle "Corruption" points to the main thematic and plot element of the game: Samus is infected with this "Phazon" substance, which threatens to destroy her body and is also responsible for corrupting and mutating many of the creatures you fight in the game.

This generates a new gameplay mode, "Hypermode", in which Samus's attacks are much stronger, but entering this mode will cost a full energy tank (a large measure of health,) and while you are in this mode you are in danger of being so corrupted that you die.

Is hypermode fun? Well, it's actually not that bad. It means you have a special way to blast through a challenging fight, but you have very limited uses of it (until later when you have lots of energy tanks to spare.)

Also, in a game where you rarely are in danger of dying by running out of health, it gives you a reason to need all that stored-up health. (more on the difficulty below.)

Exploration and Progression

Exploration and progression work in the typical way for Metroid, with some small changes.

First, the "zones" are all spread out on different planets, so instead of one giant map of connected zones, you have chunks that you have to fly your ship between. The ship basically functions the way the elevators did in Prime, but since you can choose your destination it lets you get around a bit faster.

Second, the game overall felt more linear and plot-driven, with objectives being given to the player so they always know where to go next. This doesn't mean you don't have tons of secret side areas, just that it feels like you never have to find your way. Prime had some of that too, but it was generally just a mark on a map.

(continued below) 
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (part 2) 
Story and Cutscenes

This game was chock-a-block with cutscenes and voice actors, including a gruff military commander type guy that made me feel like i was playing medal of honor or halo, getting told to "secure that hill, soldier!" And just in general the world felt more populated and less lonely. You were always in radio contact with someone, so you're not really "lost in a cave in the farthest reaches of space", as it feels when playing previous Metroids.

Rather than Exploring the Unknown Places and Discovering Ancient Mechanisms, you are following NPC instructions, going to known locations and activating things the NPCs know about. This just overall gives it a different feel.

Difficulty

The game was quite easy, i mainly died when i forgot how hypermode worked and got fatally corrupted. Most bosses i beat on the first try. This is in contrast to Metroid Prime 2, which was full of super hard bosses, and Metroid Prime 1, which had a pretty good balance, with a few hard bosses, but more exploration in between.

HUD

Prime 1 had a way to turn off the intrusive Visor graphics, and yet still see your health and ammo count in a simple display. With Prime 3, turning opacity to zero will turn off all of the visor, so you can't see your health or ammo. Because of this, I played most of the game with the visor turned off, and only turned it on during boss fights. This is partly why i died during hypermode, i couldn't see the "corruption meter" that displays when you are in it. :)

Power Cells

There was an interesting setup where you early on find a derelict spaceship, but most of the ship is inaccessible. Over the course of the game, you can find "power cells" which you can plug into various panels to gradually gain access to the rest of that ship, collecting items and eventually a passcode to get into the final area. The power cells are hidden throughout the areas of the game, and you find clues to their locations on the derelict ship. You also have a choice what order you use the power cells, and which order you collect them, so that part is nice and nonlinear.

Okay, that's probably long enough of a review for a game that I'm not excited about. 
Oh Wait... 
one more thing to say. There was a mini-boss called "Metroid Hatcher" which i was able to kill in a single shot. I hope that was a bug :) 
Awesome Review 
sounds like they lost a bit of the metroid spirit :( 
Blugh 
I've been stuck on the same boss in Metroid Prime 3 forever, and you beat most bosses on the first try. Pluh. I find it to be pretty difficult. I think I keep getting stuck on combat areas in this game more than the first one. I can't say how far in I am, probably not even half way, but it just gets infuriating getting stuck on these spots for a week or more. 
Zwiffle: 
i had that problem with Prime 2 (still haven't beaten it, stuck on boss X whenever i try to dust off my old save game.)

Which boss are you stuck on? 
Some 
big statue thing with arms that float away to suck in these orbs - I remember I got him down to like 10% health and then unfortunately died due to a freak wiimote accident, got super pissed, and then decided to put the game down for a good long while. 
Hmm.. 
yeah i remember him being hard... he's got like 4 orbs in his body, and if you damage them enough they break and expose a hole that you can blast in Hypermode.

But then he sucks new orbs in to replace them -- make sure you completely destroy the orbs as they float towards his body, otherwise he fills in a hole with the replacement.

Then i think there's a part where he runs around with weird shells on his feet, if you roll into a ball you can damage the shells with bombs.

The last orb is on his back, this takes longer because it's hard to get behind him. I think i used ball mode to move around faster plus it gives you a wider FOV so you can see where he is. 

Yeah that's pretty much what I did. I guess I just haven't found enough life containers cuz I usually die, even if I spend a good amount of time picking up floating life thingies to recharge. 
Yeah.. 
the number of energy tanks you have probably makes a big difference in how hard a boss fight is. I remember that boss didn't give much opportunity to regain health during the fight.

Definitely worth checking to see if you can get into any previously-inaccessible doors or rooms on the map with whatever items you most recently collected. 
The Golem/ball Boss 
I didn't find too difficult compared to normal game bosses - but you've been cushioned into the 'nearly fps' theme by then that you try to beat him the same way. Shoot the orbs, when he tries to get them back shoot the connections. And concentrate on getting out of the way.

Once you figure out the patterns he's not so difficult. Same as the rock boss from 2. Or 1.

As to 3 - the robot city level was a travesty of level design.

I guess some exec found the levels too difficult and the whole thing got cut down to a poor version of its former self in a short time. 
Bump For Gayspire 
xxx 
Hmm 
God I hate you.

But seriously, 248 posts vs 35000. Just merge the damn threads. 
And How May I Ask You 
Is he supposed to do that? Also 3500. 
Hmm 
Yeh, typo, obviously. Also, 3600 now.

And by allowing this thread to die (which it had) and reverting the name of the other pc games thread to 'other games'.

Simples. 
Bump 
I play MW2, L4D 1/2, Bioshock 2, Nazi Zombies, Borderlands, &c on Xbox live when I have time. Gamertag is BetterThanUNIX. 

Unfortunately, I have all of those on PC. SSF4? Halo Reach? 

I hate halo, and I don't really play fighting games. I also have GoW 1/2, Wolfenstein, The Orange Box and something else I'm forgetting. 
Goldeneye 007 
Seems to be a good game based on the reviews I've seen. Anyone gonna pick it up? Anyone already picked it up? 
Black Ops 
Anyone else get Call of Duty: Black Ops yet? I got it today and so far the multiplayer seems better than MW2. Need to play more. 
Haven't Played Multiplayer 
but played campaign, and i agree with this review very much

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/11/09/wot-i-think-codblops/#more-43658 
Mirror's Edge 
I'm surprised nobody has commented on this game. I just finished playing it a few weeks ago, forgot to post my thoughts then:

Art

The environments of the game are stylish and cool. First, they do a very minimalist color scheme where most of the world is washed-out greyscale textures, and a few objects here and there are bold red, blue, orange, or yellow (such as shipping containers, murals, etc.) Second, the interior designs are all cold, clean, postmodern northern-European-looking offices and stuff, and they all have a stylized kind of abstract art on their walls. Outside architecture is all modern-looking, late 20th century concrete-slab buildings; the whole city looks like it was built in the last 20 years.

The menu designs are also consistent with this aesthetic, and as a bonus include a minimalistic 3d model of the city which is used well (highlighting different sections of the city during level select, for example.)

Gameplay

This is a game about parkour/traversal, but you do it in a first-person perspective (unlike Prince of Persia games.) The controls are very simplified and context-sensitive, i.e. there are "up" and "down" buttons which do a bunch of things depending on what your current situation is -- "up" includes jumping, grabbing, climbing up, wall running, and "down" includes ducking, sliding, rolling, dropping. The first-person perspective feels great 99% of the time, the other 1% is when you are climbing sideways along a ledge and can't see where you are going. Anyway this feels really good, the sense of motion and flow can really click when you time things right. And the first-person aspect of it was well-executed.

Another thing that's nice about the gameplay is the way they de-emphasize combat. There are guns and you can shoot, and sometimes the designers want you to shoot, but it's designed to not feel like the default mode for the main character -- you move slower with guns, you can't do all of your parkour moves, and so generally you don't mind throwing your gun down as soon as you don't need it anymore. There are also melee combat moves, but generally if you get close to a guy you will want to grapple and disarm him rather than punching him to death. The punches and kicks are useful to stun an opponent though, and once in a while i was able to slide-kick a guy off the side of the building.

Level Design

The levels are linear but not obviously so. On my initial play-through I found myself frequently unsure where to go next, which was nice in that I had to explore and test out ideas rather than just having a big blinking "exit" sign in every area. There are times when they do have that blinking sign, in the form of a red-tinted object (door, plank of wood, etc.) which are used as hints about where to go next. This feature can be disabled in the menus, though I didn't find it too much of a problem and it didn't spoil any puzzles for me.

I have only finished through the game once, but I feel like this is a game that is worth re-playing just to attempt better run-throughs of the levels (they keep track of your best times on each.) I also believe it would be possible to skip most of the combats with the right routes and moves.

Story and Characters

I wasn't thrilled with the story and characters overall. I think the story as written might have been just fine, but the cutscenes used to tell it were usually a kind of cheaply-produced cel animation, rather than using game assets. When they did use game assets they still take player control away, even though they probably could have done the half-life style "full player control while locked in a room with the other character" type cutscenes. Editing and voice acting weren't all that great either; overall something didn't click with this aspect of the game and I ended up not caring much about the characters or the plot twists.

Also, the main male character who talks in your ear during gameplay annoyed me, he was sort of a cliched gruff squad leader type character. He didn't seem to have a believable rapport/connection with the main character, which would have probably helped pull me emotionally into the story. 
Mirror's Edge 
I still think it's one of the best looking games in a while, I still regularly look through the 200+ screenshots I took while playing for inspiration.
Yeah the story is pretty much, and those cutscenes are horrible.
I loved the innovative gameplay though, it had it's flaws, but at least it was doing something new. 
MIrror's Edge (continued) 
Not sure why I forgot I had more stuff to talk about:

UI

Mirror's Edge has no HUD at all (almost -- you have a crosshair which is alway visible by default but you can turn off entirely, or you can set it to only appear when you are holding a gun. Player health is represented by screen effects (first the screen gets desaturated, then red haze appears on the edges, then you die.)

Also the health regenerates. If you wait 5-10 seconds after getting hurt, you will heal back to full health. So as long as you at least survive a gunfight you will be as good as new in short time.

Finally, the other stat you need to worry about is your "bullet time" mode, which is a one-use ability that regenerates after some time has passed (or you run a certain distance, i think.) Once again, no HUD for this, you just remember if you used it or not.

I would say that this is one of the areas where the UI could have been better. There is no sound effect to indicate that you have entered bullet time mode, no obvious sound/ambience change during bullet time, and no sound effect when attempting to use it when it has already expired. Those little changes (plus maybe a screen blend when in bullet time) might have helped polish this feature a bit more and make it nicer to use.

Finally, there is a "disarm" mechanic where you have to hit the "grab gun" button at a certain moment during an enemy's armed-melee move (enemy will attempt to hit you with his gun and you can grab it and disable him with a special move.) It's timing based and your clue is that his gun turns red at the split second when you should hit the button. Good so far, but probably an audio success cue and failure cue might have helped reinforce this mechanic.

These are minor complaints though, overall the gameplay UI is really good.

Trademark Dispute

Another thing that's great about this game is it gave EA a reason to sue that Edge Games guy and win. In case you're not aware, there's this guy who makes no games himself, but spends his time suing anybody who has the word "Edge" in their products. This includes the excellent iPhone game "Edge", "Mirror's Edge", EDGE Magazine, and others. Anyway, EA went after him and he lost his trademarks. 
Yeah 
Mirror's Edge is fun. Its gameplay feels very smooth, a bit like speedrunning made easy. I didn't mind the comic cutscenes, but I agree they weren't particularly great, either. 
Also 
People did comment on the game in the PC games thread. 
Crosshair 
think I read in an interview that it was only added to have something for people to focus on to not get dizzy (I might be confusing this with some other game though) 
XBox Kinect 
Quite fun actually. Some facts: The damn thing moves by itself! It can adjust its vertical pitch. Mine worked on a really old 1st gen XBox which has never been hooked up to the net. Its really easy to use :) 
Hadn't Heard About The Edge Guy 
Wow, what a shit for brains. 
What... 
Mirror's Edge had bullet time?!
Is it possible that I played through the whole game without using it? Or did I just forget about it. 
Fable 3 
Fable 3

Whoops. It would appear that Peter Molyneux thought that even Fable 2 wasn't "accessible" enough for his grand vision, and so decided to aim Fable 3 at a demographic that seems to lie somewhere between "casual gamer" and "vegetable". Maybe he was upset because his pet dog struggled to get to grips with the xbox controller. We all know how he likes his little doggies.

The game basically plays itself. You can't die, combat is practically automated (just mash the "shoot gun" button if enemies are vaguely in the same shire as you and the computer takes care of all that pesky aiming and killing and stuff). There's no need to accumulate money because you can literally just sleepwalk through the game without bothering to purchase a single item, but if you get bored and decide to play monopoly you can buy up every single property in the game well before the end and you'll soon have more money than Lionhead pissed away on the voice cast (but with absolutely nothing in the game to spend it on).

Apparently it was decided that hardcore concepts like menu systems and HUDs are too confusing for the game's (likely sub-simian) target audience, so every little micro-task (like selecting a different weapon or accessing a map screen) now requires you to quit into a sort of in-game lobby where you have to physically walk your character into different rooms to do basic character management shit that really does not need to be this drawn out and involved. It's a novelty for all of the first three times that you do it, but every time thereafter you're just pulling your hair out in disbelief and screaming "WHY??"

However, in going through the motions of "gameplay" (in the sense that a Russian circus bear goes through the motions of "dancing"), you are exposed (in a highly scripted way) to the storyline and to Fable's unique brand of charm and humour, and it is as good and as clever as ever. Does it make up for the shit gameplay? Does it bollocks

Hadn't heard of the Edge guy either. What a total fuckwit. Global trademark laws must have some massive holes for him to get away for that for decades. 
Bitches Don't Know 
about my Kirby's Epic Yarn,OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH. 
Donkey Kong Country Returns 
Short review: Brilliant platformer. Genius secrets, gorgeous to look at, insanely maddening at times as a good platformer should be. If you like platformers and have a Wii this is a good one to get imo. I still have to go back to almost every single level to get all of the items and get 100%, which will probably have me playing for another ~6-10 hours just for the pickups. 
OMG 
A Golden Temple is revealed after the credits! Fuck! Another world to play through. 
Oh :( 
I need to find eight more rare orbs to enter the temple :( Damn you secret-filled game! 
DKC Returns 
Yeah, really great game, love all the secrets.
Didn't really like some of the train and rocket levels, they feel overly simple (they both only require one button for interaction) and hard in a non-fun way.
The rest is awesome though, even my mom loves it. 
Epic Mickey 
Been playing this for ~5 hours, and so far it's a pretty bad game. Horrible controls and painfully dark graphics mar what could have been a good game. You can't see shit, both because of how dark and samey everything looks and also because the camera is completely shit.

Mickey feels very awkward with slow move speed and clumsy physics - his hitbox causes him to bump into things and miss easy jumps, often resulting in falling into bottomless pits or acid (paint thinner.)

This game is not Deus Ex in Mickey form even though the 'good choice/bad choice' theme is prevalent throughout - often times choices are not clear enough to make a choice really. Several times I failed a mission by doing something I thought I was supposed to, but turned out wasn't the case. This resulted in me failing even though I thought I was doing the right thing. Mission goals sometimes seem straight forward but are sometimes not so clear.

Overall I think I will quit playing as it's been nothing but frustrating. 
Mickey... 
I have been hell-bent on finishing it, too, but I keep completing missions out of sequence and leaving obvious rewards behind thinking that I will have a chance to backtrack to them.

The first few levels and Space Voyage are especially guilty of this.

It is also bizarre how talking to some of the Mean Street townsfolk multiple times ends up giving you multiple items o_O 
Alan Wake 
got this for 10 bucks.

Just started - first level, looking for the gas station.
Does anyone know if this gets better? 

first level, looking for the gas station.

This whole realism in games is just going way to far, the next level will be getting a gas pump, then walking across the lot without getting run over. After that will be inside the convenience store, looking for a drink that doesn't have to come with insulin strapped to it and some kind of food that won't give you dysentery. The boss fight will be with the store; clerk getting them to actually stop smoking their tobacco product outside, ring up your items and 25dollah on the correct pump. 
Real Is Boring. 

If It Makes You Feel Any Better 
I *am* fighting ghosty darkness zombies with a flashlight and a pistol.

So far the set up has been pretty weak, and the story and dialogue has been uniformly pretty not good. 
That's 
what the trailers looked like :( 

Amuses me that reading magazines and other cack like that when talking about Max Payne they go 'omg the story, the story, the gritty setting and story'

Only morons played Max Payne for the story. They played it for the fucking graphics and bullet time combat :P

I played a brief bit of Alan Wake and it felt like they'd ke[t the most irritating bits of Max Payne and removed the fun. 

*kept 
Alan Wake Looks Kind Of Ass 
Probably one of the last games I would ever get around to checking out from the game library at work. It just didn't look very inspiring at all really, not sure what all the hype was about. 
ZQF 
I play max payne for the story and atmosphere. That's where the game shines. 
Yeah, But 
the gameplay was so awfully boring and repetetive that i stopped playing after chapter 1. 
Watching Someone 
Play Heavy Rain is completely counter-intuitive to someone who designs games.

It's just a continual QTE. What's wrong with YouTube? That way you don't have to piss about with the controller in order to see the story.

The best game ever in terms of story was Silent Hill 2.

It's nice to have a good story (I can't envision a game without thinking of it in terms of story) but it can't be your gameplay. 
Yeah 
I think the best game story was maybe Grim Fandango? Biased. 

I play max payne for the story and atmosphere. That's where the game shines.

I'll get me coat :E 
Oh Noes, Different People Like Different Games 
I don't know what that expression means. Maybe it is an acquired taste? ;-) 
L.a. Noire 
Anyone else played this yet? I'm buying it tomorrow, it's supposed to be the bee's knees. 

Saw it at work. Based off what I saw at work and the fact that I'm in a torrid love affair with film noir at the moment, I am aching to get a copy of my own. The animation is gorgeous and the gameplay and world both look spot on, and there's a black/white mode if you want to play that way, which I plan to (unless it's unlockable.) 

You can change between black and white and colour anytime. I'm so giddy for this game ^.^ 
Zwiffle 
seen any more noirs lately? 
Heroes Of Ruin, 3DS 
Diablo style dungeon crawler on 3DS looks like it has surprisingly high production values and dare I say it: 'fun'

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/10/27/heroes-of-ruin-gameplay-walkthrough 

i like the damage feedback. i find that kind of thing is missing sometimes and it makes a huge difference. 
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet 
Yo, So.... 
T'burd is after some more XBox360 games. She likes gaylord girly RPG-esque things, in her own words "Character customisation, that's all I want from games, I want to make me look pretty" :P, and is quite happy with older and therefore cheaper games. Things I know she's liked: Mass Effect series, Assassin's Creed, Witcher 2, Okami (weirdo Japanese thing anyway), Portal 2, Final Fantasy (up to 10), Tomb Raider, etc etc.

Any suggestions homiez?? 
Fable 

Witcher 1? 
and yeah second Fable. 
Umm. 
She's already done Fable on the PS2....and I think Witcher1 is PC only? If not then yeah she'd get that... 
Fable 2 Obviously 
But not Fable 3 - that one's a bit of a turd. 
Dragon Age 
the first one has an ultimate edition with all teh dlc in it. never played the second one. i did play the shit otu of the fisrt one though. its funky shieeeet. 
Yes... 
She likes Dragon Age. Anything similar but not that?? Oh she's playing Reckoning or somehting now....herp derp. 

how about divinity 2? have no idea how it might be on xbox, but there might be a demo on the xbox. divinity 2 looks nothing like the original divine divinity so i never played it.

there are two versions, the standard and the complete with all dlc one. so check before buying i say.

there's also war of the north that i bought a few days ago [online] and looks neat. has splitscreen co-op too [thats either a good thing or a bad one]. not into lord of the rings, but it shouldn't matter though.

dungeon siege 3 seems to be a very simple rpg, but seems to have solid writting, but again simple and nothing that would make someone go "wow"... from what i read anyway.

hunted: demons forge looks more of a shooter in a fatansy setting, but looks fun?

i believe two worlds 2 [and the first one] have a xbox versions.

then there is risen but that one i believe is just a crappy port. i played it on pc and i found it a bit boring. but i liked the combat and the world itself. it felt dull, but i dont know, a lot of people swear its good, but no gothic 2.

risen 2 came out a few days ago i believe, but being a new game = expensive right now.

speaking of gothic 2, there is gothic 4. made by dudes that didnt work on the previous games and seems to be an ok rpg, maybe boring. i dont know.

and the last one is sacred 2. more of a diablo type of game, no idea how it might perform on consoles, but looks fun for mindless rpg madness. i believe it has local coop.

those are all the rpgs that should be cheap that come to mind. i say xbox should be the way to go, since most of these are probably xbox only.

not sure about performance, but check for demos if there are any. sorry if i never played any of these, and to be honest i don't know how i remember them :D

like i said above, i bought war of the north to play with my nephew on ps3, hopefully it arrives by next week, then i'll write something about if its not too late.

hope this gibberish somehow helps. 
And This Too 
man, i should really read before posting. i blame sleep. i always seem to write before here before going to bed :D

two games just came to mind.

dark messiah is more of a hack & slash [think heretic or hexen] and it a first person rpg-ish sort of game, but its fun as hell.

no idea how the xbox verison of dark messiah might be, but if its just a straight port form the pc game and its not buggy, then it shouldn't be bad. i love the game though.

arx fatalis came out on the xbox1, i think the 360 has issues with some older games? maybe check if its backwards compatible. arx is just like ultima underworld.

and finally, the first templar. i know nothing about it, but screenshots made it look interesting.

and now i'll dive in the depths of sleep. 
Thanks. 
Useful list will pass on. 
New Xbox Announcement Highlights 
Yep 
Pretty embarrassing stuff, and with no backwards compatibility either. No sale.

(I'll probably wait 2-3 years after launch to allow it to accumulate some half-decent games). 
Ijed. 
Brilliant. From listening to the poor fools in #tf who were actually watching the damn thing live (instead of SC2 / kitten videos / goat p0rn), that is uncannily accurate - I bet it didn't take much editing down. 
Haha 
awesome video.

Definitely seems like they've de-prioritised core gamers to try and grab the TV market (that really is up for the taking, admittedly). It'll be interesting to see what happens at E3. They've got a lot of apologising to do, and hopefully they have some games to show.

HOW SHIT DOES THAT NEW COD GAME LOOK THOUGH?!!! It actually looks worse than the first Call of Duty. Not a lot of next-gen graphics in the building. Also LOL at the scene where the sun is on the right of the sky, and the sun rays are shining through some branches from the left
I Like The Dog! 

I Thought There Already Was An Xbox 1 

The Name Is A Big WTF 
Then again, if you're going to deliver a stillborn anachronism I suppose it doesn't really matter. Why bother putting any effort into it? 
What's In A Name? 
Well, they didn't out-tard Nintendo with 'wii' but they came close.

The whole announcement was a warm cloud of methane with a bad smell which by the time the console is launched will have no meaning at all. Same as the ps4 one.

I want a steam box. 
And Here's The Ps4 Version! 

Are you kidding, "wii" was a genius move 
Meanwhile, In XBone Land... 
This reads like an Onion article. In fact, I would have dismissed it as satire, but apparently....

A patent filed by Microsoft for Kinect describes a camera system that monitors the number of viewers in a room. Content providers will be able to set a threshold which if exceeded would trigger a prompt for the device owner to purchase a license for more viewers.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/24/microsofts-kinect-patent-suggest-they-will-be-always-be-watching/ 
Also, On XBone... 
Oh and apparently indie developers will no longer be able to self-publish their games on the XBox online marketplace. That's right - all developers will now have to strike a publishing deal with a third-party.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/192779/Indies_on_Xbone_Wheres_the_beef.php 
:) 
Super Mario Maker 
Yeah! 
Nioh 
Really? Looks very last-gen to me. 
Cool. Someone made a samurai mod for the Dark Souls 1 engine, and managed to put Geralt's head on the model. Woot woot. 

I know right? Can't wait to play it. 

If anyone has been following new Tekken games, I would recommend stay far away from Tekken 7 and stay with 6 and Tag Tournament 2. So they will learn not start mixing Street Fighter 2 characters with Tekken storyline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bAyciSC5xc 
Tekken 7 Looks Great! 

So 
I've just picked up an XBONE - mainly because my 360 has carked it, and I want the backwards compatibility. The option to play XBONE games is a nice bonus too I guess. Which leads me to a question:

Any idea why the prices of the downloadable versions of the games are so ludicrous? You can either spunk �50 on the new Doom in their online marketplace, and then spend the next week trying to download 80 gigs or whatever, or you can literally go to any street retailer, or Amazon, and get a brand new disc version for �14. This pricing pattern seems to be common across all/most of the games I've looked up.

In what universe does this make sense as a business model? 
Download Prices 
on the PS4 store are not much different. �59.99 for a brand new game is the recommended retail price but the stores have a more fluid and volatile market. It's mostly competition that keeps the prices down.

Oddly though the Steam store has a much better business model and I think it's because the games are competing with each other for real estate on the front page. Perhaps this is what happens when you have a free market. 
Right Ok 
Well that's a bugger because I was hoping to go all-digital. Was getting fed up with accumulating endless physical media. Seems like a backwards step, but if it's the only way of getting half-sensible prices then shelves full of plastic discs it is I guess... 

Any idea why the prices of the downloadable versions of the games are so ludicrous?
Because consoles. They typically make little to no benefits on the hardware, so they feed off overpriced games. 
2 posts not shown on this page because they were spam
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.