SM132: Inverted Castle
Two small SP maps by generic and Omus.

Screenshots:
http://speedq1.leveldesign.org/images/sm132_generic.jpg
http://speedq1.leveldesign.org/images/sm132_omus.jpg

Download:
http://speedq1.leveldesign.org/files/sm132_pack.zip
Praise The Lard 
omus: very atmospheric - i like that! a ng would have been nice.

generic: a flying shambler? a neat treat of a map. liked the intermission.

both: what is inverted about your castle/ruin? 
Nice But Short 
omus' looked cool with the fog but felt a bit deserted with only few monsters in a fairly large space. generic's shambler was somewhat ineffective because of size of his platform (easy to dodge his lightning). no obvious inversion in both - better come up with some eloquent philosphical excuse. ;) 
Um.. 
It was meant to be inverted in the upside-down sense. Maybe it wasn't that obvious. 
Heh 
I just wasted half an hour speedrunning on Omus' map. Got it down to 24:39, but at least 23 should be possible.
Nice maps! 
No Excuse... 
But mine was on time and done in a couple of hours which is an inversion of how I usually do things ;)

I was going to have the player teleported around the flying shambler and at varying angles in the end, but I couldn't be arsed. 
Speedrun 
got 22.5 pretty easily, so 21 shouldn't be too hard. 20 secs...maybe. 
Maps 
both a bit short, but quite fun, though very easy.

I thought fighting out from the centre of Generic's map was the inversion, but then I ended up back in the middle again, so that was that theory scuppered.

I vote we do the inverted castle theme for a speedchainmap in the future, because it sounds cool. 

Nice maps! 
Title Goes Here 
Both maps fun, and both puzzling.

Generic: I probably played this an extra 3 times because I couldn't understand why I was just finishing. I killed that shambler bastard in the end (he was mocking me).

Omus: Just so happened I was using DarkPlaces so I enjoyed the fog. Nice brush work. Absolutely no idea how you are suppose to play it, but I got 100% without cheats. Cool, and fitted the theme. 

nice maps guys ;) 
How About 
labyrinthine inverted moebius strips? 

generic: could you have used a smaller platform for the shambler or would he have just fallen off?

spirit/lodis: wouldn't mind seeing a demo of those runs! 
Omus 
Omus 
Inertia 
I'd rather see non-euclidean variations such as the klein bottle.

Hmm. Do you think aguirRe can modify his compilers and engines to support 4-D mapping? 
R.p.g.: They Already Can Handle (3+1)D: 
try creating a func_train with speed = 298.000 km/s, place event_lightning at its start/end points, place 1 info_player_start on the railway embarkment and 1 info_player_coop in the train itself... who do you think will see the e_lightnings in sync? =) 

Those were fun to watch, I'll build my next map with speedrunning in mind.

efdat - assuming 1 inch per unit I make that 11802852677 units/second :P which would require a modified engine (double precision integers) :P . 
Efdat 
Are we including network lag in the calculations? 
Omus: You're Right, 
so i was wrong in thinking this was a quake-mod:
http://www.einsteinmobil.de/images/flugsimulator.jpg

@r.p.g.: those aren't lags: they are realistic simulations of the "tunnel effect" \o/ 
Omus... 
Yup, the shambler drops off of a smaller platform. Still, I probably could have have tweaked the geometry a little better or even placed a couple of clips around his head to keep him up there. Nice map, BTW :)

Thanks, all, for the comments. 
Efdat 
I know, but you have to be connected to a network for info_player_coop, so there will be some network lag introduced into the equation.

I was trying to take the piss. I guess I'm not British enough. 
@r.p.g: I Took A Piss, Too =) 
let's just say: t = (t' + v*x'/lag´┐Ż)

*grinNIN* 
Efdat 
efdat, you're wrong. It's

x = lag*(x' - v*t') 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.