News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
New Quake Filehost: "The Shub-Hub"
Just to rise awareness as it seems not to be very known around here yet.

http://shub-hub.quaddicted.com

You may upload any Quake-related files there. Really everything (except demos): Maps, Mods, Movies, Screenshots, Tools. The password for uploading is ilovetheshubhub. Read http://shub-hub.quaddicted.com/rules.html for more detailed information.

Surely there is no guarantee that the Shub-Hub will exist in ten years (do free hosts guarantee anything?). But I will backup the important bits every once in a while and mirror SP stuff to the Quaddicted Archive of course.

UPDATE: The Shub-Hub is back at a new domain: http://shub-hub.com , password for uploading is still ilovetheshubhub.
My Question Is 
Why no demos? Using dz or what not theyre practically tiny, and theyre not that big anyways. Id like to see more matches where I dont have to download some 200meg avi of people getting the same midair rocket shots, having to look at it through some hideous ezQuake extras and synced to nu-metal. Complete match demos are a joy to watch.

However I was aware of the shub-hub and I do love it and am thankful for it and all the other efforts youve made to help the community. 
Since Pipeline Is Dead... 
I'm going to list this as a new suggested place to host screenshots.

Also: yeah, why no demos? I understand that there are other places to host demos, but do you think that allowing demos would have a negative effect on the server performance or bandwidth or something? 

awww, somebody uploaded my map! and its shit! but somebody did. makes my heart warm & fuzzy and stuff. :-) 
Demos 
You have some valid points there. My thought was to keep the demos in the archives where they belong to. On the other hand there is no place for netquake demos (as far as I know) and definitely no place for normal singleplayer demos.
And the Shub-Hub rather a "huge pile of a mess" than a sorted archive anyways (and it's meant to be). Adding demos would not be an disadvantage for me or its users.
I'll think about it! 
Yeah 
Uploaded "Grunt Grenedin" and "Orb'sBetrayal".
Thought "The Abandon" more like a singleplayer/mod,
but that's just a formal matter.

Great Site! 
Spirit 
thanks man.

and yeah, everybody likes demos, although of course there's SDA :-) 
Nice 
Good to know there�s more places to put stuff; cheers. 
Lalala 
Shub-Hub is nothing to do with me, but I'd like to see it kept relatively "clean". I don't think people should see it as an open ending dumping ground. Don't you people have your own webspace? If you start diluting a Quake file depository with crap, it instantly loses the purpose of it's existance.

Random screenshots and "look_at_me_demo62.dz" files belong on people's personal hosting... or perhaps burnt in the flames of hell. 
Picked A Bad Time 
to propose a drunken demo archive, but there it is, a proposal to keep an archive of map runs in a state of inebriation. With, uhm, screenshots. 
Megazoid 
It is not meant as clean repository/archive! It IS meant as dump. :D 
Spirit 
Thanks for that service. It is a good idea.
It would be cool if you alowed to use it as a storage for quake related demos. Maybe you could create additional "demos" and "dump" folders?
I have a nice Bastion demo on skill 2 somewhere :) 

I'd like to see runs on speedmaps. The SDA gang in general can't be bothered with it, so it would be average players.

A lot of the speedmaps are really fun. I'd immediately upload some demos (and download others from this category.)

Could become a nice time-killer.

May I also suggest that a naming scheme be used for demos, including the map title and player name. 
Okokok 
As there is interest in it, I will add demo sections. demos_singleplayer, demos_netquake, demos_quakeworld?

I would suggest mapname_playername as filename for the singleplayer demos. In one of the usual archive formats or dzipped. Sounds good?
I don't care about the multiplayer demos, but if there is a standard, tell me and I will force it.

Ankh: Consider the misc folder as dump. ;) 
Uploaded 
some old SP maps that weren�t in the archive, but mostly just for completeness�s sake (try burrow/shkeep first, both have 50 enemies on hard and some secrets).

burrow.zip
cope.zip
decon.zip
k_dark1b.zip
lbase.zip
shaft29.zip
shkeep.zip

(of course thanks to Spirit for all his work...) 
Ooooh 
Those are missing in the "good" Quaddicted archive too. Thanks! 
OK 
Demos are allowed now.
http://shub-hub.quaddicted.com/rules.html

Singleplayer Demos: /demos_singleplayer (for speedruns better check SDA)
NetQuake Demos: /demos_netquake (check RocketGuy's)
QuakeWorld Demos: /demos_quakeworld (check Challenge-TV, Quakeworld.ru)

Allowed formats are .dz or anything else compressed in some archive. 
Sielwolf 
Did you manage to beat burrow? I made it almost with a lot of saving, just one lousy zombie left and no more explosives ...

There's almost no health and probably just enough ammo to kill the 50 monsters with a lot of axing and infighting.

If anyone could make a 100% demo on this, I'd be impressed ... 
Uploaded Dm3rmx 
I will upload my other maps later after I have put the source files in the zips. 
Burrow Demo 
Third try - I'm gonna play through properly and try and get a full run.

http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/111561/burrow1-rar.html

(lack dzip access at office) 
Hehe 
Nice try ijed, but there's a long way to go ... 
AguirRe 
I Just Came To Post 
shubbubbubbubububub 
Nice Run 
I've got alot to learn. Just managed a 49/50 run after watching your route with lots of quicksave. The trench jump where you have to change direction to pick up speed was irritating.

Anyhow, back to topic:

shububububububuububub-hub 
Sielwolf 
Amazing, I'm impressed!

Just a small tip; if you first run my ConvDem utility on the demo, it will compress much better in DZip (which can only handle protocol 15). It'll then also be playable in any engine.

It won't work of course if the conversion can't be done without data loss (ConvDem will tell you that). 
I Lub A Shub Rub 
in ma bathtub 
Spirit 
I was just looking on shub hub to see if I could find fmb_bdg and noticed that I somehow managed to put dm3rmx in the main directory when I uploaded it. I could have sworn I selected maps_singleplayer when I was uploading it. Could you move it to the correct dir? 
Than 
sure, that's $2,50 then. 
2 Thousand Dolla?! 
Who do you think you are ;) 
No 
he meant 2 dollars and 50 cents. 
This Is The Reason 
why expensive Mars expeditions end up beyond the infinite ... 
Then He Typo'd 

Hello, My Name Si Teh Pedantic 
Here is anotha massage for you to critizise to inflate yoar sense of self impotence. 
Why Are You A Dickhead? 

I Am A Banana 
(moon icon chosen for semi-banana resemblance)

P.S. happy st. wotsit's thingamajig 
O________________________O 
Errrr, what are you all talking about. Is , a sign for thousand while the . would have been what I meant? If so, then screw your stupid math(?) system. Jesus. 
We Can't All Be As Cool As You, Phait 
Why did you change your name to a dot? You're so mysterious and interesting. I just can't figure out you whiny angsty teeny fuckwits, you're too deep! 

I don't think you anwsered .'s highly important question, Mr, Flibbles 
Spirit 
thanks for moving the file. Money in the post... let's hope it doesn't get lost, eh? ;) 
Updated... 
Argh... 
wrong toppic shaft. 
Sorry, Scampie 
You could look at upbringing, genetics, environment, etc, but I don't think you can pinpoint exactly why a dickhead acts like a dickhead. You might as well ask why a rock just sits there looking like a rock most of the time. Some things just are.

In the specific situation above though, I can offer at least something approaching an explanation. You see, when I have to deal with fuckwits at work, and complete spanktards that make me lose all faith in humanity (World of Warcraft), the last thing I need to see when I come here is some raging homosexual nitpicking over a fucking comma versus a decimal point.

I expect a little more maturity and friendliness here, I don't know why, but I do. I am certainly not helping to achieve that myself though, so whether the label is dickhead or hypocrite, I should just fuck off! 
The Shubbub Be Shibby 
shibbety bibbety 
Mr Fribbles 
why didn't you just answer - Because I'm reading this pointless shit.

Although that probably implies a present tense in the question as in 'why are you being a dickhead now', not 'why are you a dickhead' as a constant.

Something to ponder. 
Frib 
Thou art rock! :D 
Heh... 
...wrong toppic shaft. Madfox, I love you. 
Yay 
The Shub-Hub is back at a new domain: http://shub-hub.com , password for uploading is still ilovetheshubhub. It's rather slow sometimes, so if you just want to download something you can use the plain listing at http://shub-hub.com/files . I hope everything works again. :)

Not adblocking the Google Ads would be appreciated, maybe you spot something of "interest" there. The hosting costs a tiny bit of money so it would be incredible if it would be covered by this (should be easy). 
I Can�t Post Comments On Quaddicted 
Tried IE, Opera and Mozilla ffs !?

[quote]
My honest opinion is that you�re thinking too much about those descriptions; there�s Shambler, UWF, RetroQuake etc. Someone with interest in QSP will surely find one of those sooner or later.

BTW, I wonder why it�s not possible to view descriptions on the Shub-Hub without being logged in ?!

Keep up the great work Spirit.

sielwolf [/quote] 
Argh 
Actually your comments got in but into the spam filter. :(
I disabled it now. No idea why it acted so strangely. Sorry!

I fixed the description "viewlevel" at the Shub-Hub. Thanks.

The descriptions at Quaddicted follow a quite different approach than the usual review sites. Eg very short descriptions, very "short" ratings (no 1.23/100 points). It's more an archive than a review site. The descriptions rather have the usage to sort and organise and describe the maps. One thing I wish to be able to provide somewhen in the future will be an external program to browse the maps, select them (maybe download them in the background) and launch them in the engine. For that all those infos are needed, the description/review itself is the lowest bit in it (except for the rating). :) 

Most files were deleted due to an accident (I screwed up the script so everyone could delete files, apparently some kiddies using 62.163.70.106, 72.232.137.122 and 74.86.176.75 did so). As this is a mostly unmaintained archive there were no backups.

I am very sorry. :(
Guess I will have to find something better for the uploading. Suggestions for php or perl scripts are welcome. 

the net is indeed full of idiots, a sad day for us all :((( 
Argh! 
I hope there was no material without backups elsewhere.

Senseless destruction ... 
Not Again.... 
I've got a great part singleplayer maps and wads backedup, not the revieuws. 
Quaddicted Is Fine! 
It's just the Shub-Hub (the file upload site). Quaddicted.com is fully independant from it and well "backupped".

I also created an automatic backup for the Shub-Hub now (as usual, when it is too late for the first time). 
Well... 
at least you've got me under my archive, diggin' at my hideaways. 

I'll not continue hosting the Shub-Hub: http://www.quaddicted.com/?p=267 

thks for the time that was up :) 
Quaketastic 
OK, I communicated a little with Spirit and I have a replacement that I think is ready to go:

http://www.quaketastic.com/

Works exactly the same as shub-hub did and uses the same password.

If you see problems with it, let me know, but I think it's good to go! Feel free to host maps and screenshots and whatever else there. Just make sure that it's Quake 1 related plz. :) 
Willem 
Kudos for bringing it back (before it was actually gone)! 
Hmmm... 
...Demos are all under 1 directory. Single player/deathmatch was a useful differentiation. And the ability to give a brief description, too. This way, how you gonna know what u'r downloading? 

Is anyone making deathmatch demos anymore?

Description wise, I was thinking that people would include a TXT file with major releases like a map or a mod.

I'll ask Spirit what he did for the description side of things though... 
Yes 
There are lotsa deathmatch qw demos at http://challenge-tv.com/ . They could be useful to host for new maps and betas on quaketastic. 
I Mean 
When a mapper is working on a new dm map, the playtesters could have a place to upload their demos temoporarily. 

OK, I created a demos/multiplayer folder. 
Maybe A Miscellaneous Folder 
Willem, would you consider adding a miscellaneous folder for things like models or skins or other non-map/non-mod/non-tools type of files? 

OK, I added a "misc" folder.

However, if you have anything specific that you'd like to see a folder for let me know. For example, I also added folders for models and skins:

/models
/models/skins

That was something I forgot about. If you think of anything else that people are still doing these days, let me know! 
Except For "eternal Textures" And "wads" 
I cant think of anything.... 
Lol! = EXternal 

Well, there's "texture_wads" there already. If we have a real need for "textures_external" I'll add it but nobody has expressed an interest in uploading new textures at this point. 
Domain Name... 
i realize willem already has a new domain name set up and working, but what's going to happen to shub-hub.com? At the very least, it would be nice for it to HTTP redirect to quaketastic.com, if not simply resolve to the same IP address so either domain works. 

shub-hub will remain as a static archive (I'm hosting it on my account)). That way all the old files don't need to be moved to the new domain and old links still work. 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.