News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Q1SP: Breakfast At Twilight!
Initially started for the winter map Pack 2006. So after over a year here it is! Built over scraps by Drew and Kell as well as some of my own new stuff. Hope you have a good experince!

Pictures and download:
http://www.hrimfaxi.dk/sider/hrsp3.htm
Hrimfaxi 
Downloaded: I'll go play the map right now! 
Oooh Yeah 
det ser godt ut!

:-D

playing asap! 
Nais 
Cool map! Took me 18 minutes. Experienced some fps drops at the top of the castle (near the end) but I was using Darkplaces so that explains it. Ammo/monster balance was just about right (on medium) - I never really ran out of bullets but wasn't able to waste them either. I'm a bit lazy with secret places so I found only one. The castle exteriors looked pretty amazing! 
Hm... 
breakstart:

CDAudio: track 1 is not audio (of course not, it's data.)

The scale is pretty impressive, noticed texture alignment problems with the brick and floor textures, nice lighting. Cool architecture.

Nice to see the Normal slipgate through the floor before you get to it. Looked around but didn't find nightmare.

breakfast:

Error: MAX_PRSTR

If this needs an "enhanced" engine, you should tell us. I used tyrquake. 
Great Map 
Impressive vistas and cool set piece battles.

Had alot of fun with this, took 30-odd mins but seems I forgot where to find most of the secrets :|

Couple of things:

I found A quoth bug whereby the weapon strip from the start map still allows you to select the RL when you're in the map, by using impulse 10 (or whichever is prevweapon).

No hammer :*(

Overall, a very nice map. 
Good Stuff! 
The buildings and overall architecture were top notch with a few very minor texture alignment issues here and there. It would have been nice if some of the buildings weren't obvious facades, though -- all fronts and no backs, you know what I mean?

The combat (on Normal) was good and never overwhelming. Of course, I missed a lot of it by taking what I thought was a secret path and bypassed the gold key door all together :-)

Very nice considering it started as odds and ends ;-) I will definitely be giving it another go tonight!

P.S. The exit was a little bit unnoticeable. 
Golden_boy 
That's tyrquake's fault. A lot of maps will crash with that at the moment. Check the source code for where the max MAX_PRSTR is declared and multiply it. 
OK 
bug report sent, hacking in progress :-) 
Golden_boy 
It's in NQ/progs.h near the end. I set it to 4096 I think. Maybe it is already higher in later versions of the file as Tyrann knows about it (he told me about the "fix").

Now to the map: Dunno, somehow I don't "get warm" with it. It looks pretty awesome (lighting could been some more contrasty), the outdoor panoramas are great. I often felt a bit lost, fell several times into the red water and wondered why I died (heh), died pretty often (I start hating those normal Quoth knights for their "100 units ahead of the actual model"-damage). The ending was AWESOME, loved the floor. Health was pretty rare (agressive skill 1 player). Good work! 
Nice Nice Nice !!! 
Good architecture, good gameplay, good ambiance, good ammo/health balance... I played it in normal, and never been lower than 50 health... except at the end... fucking vermis, and the last "surprised" was about to kill me....

When there are no more... there are more would be the sentence for the end ;)

Very good level, again a pure moment of fun!

Kep it up ! 

SZ_GetSpace overflow, even with -heapsize 48000.

So this needs an "enhanced" engine? 
That Mem/heapsize Confusion Always Hits Me Too 
Tyrquake uses -mem. 
Engine 
I have played the map in standard GLQuake so you shouldn't need an "enhanced" engine for this! 
Enjoyed This Map A Lot! 
It is a very good and pretty map. The looks are very impressive. I liked the combat also, even if I still have to get use to the quoth monsters. The only annoying thing was the red fluid in which I died twice. Good job! Nice map!
Here are my demos (skill 1):
http://quake_1.republika.pl/hrim3.dz 
Heapsize 
tweaking typically doesn't fix the SZ_GetSpace error; it's most likely protocol chokage. If you can easily reproduce the issue, let me know. 
Very Nice 
I got seriously frustrated when trying to get to that damn airlift that goes through a gate that closes below you, I saw just wall there...

Also the secrets were hard! Many times I could see stuff but couldn't get there.

But man was there some good and nice architecture in many ways. Your height stuff was inspiring too. And all the arches and texture variety.

Also gameplay at places was hectic, had 1 health at times and died too. It had your trademark, ogres shooting grens from high above. :P Some places were a bit monster free. Btw you can climb over the cliff to silver key lift, although it's a bit risky.

I feel that many of the quoth monsters have a bit too much health to be fun. The trites at least. You can't blast through, you have to retreat or then just take the health hit. They should die from one supershotgun hit at medium-close range.

Overall, a great job, mister mare of the night. 

If the map runs in standard GLquake, then the problem is obviously on my side. Sorry Hrimfaxi. 
Awzam, Baby... 
Loved the map to death, just finished a sissy run (hey, I just woke up) on normal and it ended like this http://shub-hub.com/files/images/Hrimsp3_1st_run_norm.jpg
Took some time to marvel at truly great architecture. I just love Hrimfaxi's stuff!!!
Gameplay was spot on, but I'll tell you more 'bout thatafter a nice Nightmare run(maybe I'l record a demo). Secrets are sure though and I found a couple of them in a way they were not meant to be found (MH through trickJumping).

I have some nits I'd like to point out, too, mainly about connecting buildings and sky, sometimes they're not properly made up, at the higher floors you can see top of buildings with the sky passing through them, and that's xtra ugly to behold.
Especially in the start map, if you turn your head to the sky behind you right at the start, you see the towers as if they have no depth, sinkin' in sky.
Maybe later I'll take the time to post some shots of what I mean...

Anyways, great un, great map, great Hrim!
Keep 'em comin'.... 
Err... 
It was RA through trickjumping, not MH.... 
Fantastic 
Great environment, lighting, pretty much all that has been said so far applies to this map. Keep up the good work. 
Nice 
Very enjoyable. I liked how the map feels large while still being somewhat compact. Proper knave style. Proper Quoth style too, with so many secrets (of which I only found 4). Gameplay is ok, no ammo shortages or impossible situations on hard except for the gug battle which I had to godmode through after several hopeless attempts.
Some trims should have been aligned better. What's with the multiple water brushes in front of the gold key door? The start map has many rogue rooms - sloppy construction there.

Quoth: The new monsters's melee range is a bit confusing and annoying to be honest. Unlike the id monsters, Quoth knights and Droles are able to already hit the player when their model is still a few units out of reach (compare Hellknight and Quoth knight sword attacks). A matter of visual feedback or something.. 
New Quake Map! 
Hrim I want to do rude things to your penis.

I'm liking Quake maps at the moment. GG everyone.

'pon the DL.

Agree with Neg about Quoth monsters, I STILL don't like that!! 
Sooooooo... 
...sooooo technically far removed from your first sp effort. Somehow you also get 'Knave' to look fresh. Loved being able to roof hop. Thought the MH secret in the cliff wall was excellent, I looked across at it and thought... "bugger, no way I could've picked that first time round, Hrim better send me there again". And of course, you did :) I got three secrets (did one have to GJ one of them?).

Overall, very satisfying. The little niggles didn't get to the level where they ruined the experience. I played normal and combat felt balanced and fair. Unlike Shambler I'm not big for the penis, but you've got a fair few beers coming your way whenever you hit Oz. 

is hard to say more then what was said... but the most thing i liked more in the map was the exploracion.... is not a map that we loose but got real fun exploracion stuff

so Hrimfaxi thks for this great map, i will post my second demo... i died in the vermis :\ but was fun untill there!!! was to gready and didn�t catch the 100% to save to gug�s :\ i finish the map on first try :) but were more carefull.

http://trinca.quaddicted.com/bfast.dz 
Wow 
this is really as good a quake map as i've played. Everything is pretty much spot on in looks and gameplay.

great work hrimfaxi! 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! 
(this gives me japanese-school-girl-meeting johnny-depp levels of excitement) 
Yeah 
That was awesome! It was kind of like one of those 'spot the sample' dj sets'. You used a chunk of your old speedmap right? I liked that. Great job - I was always struggling but in a good way. 
So 
if I hate fighting all the new quoth monsters am I going to like this map much? 
Played It 
on Easy. Turned out the engine could handle that after a suggestion from Tyrann.

This tells me it's partly an engine problem (as AguirRe said) and partly a map problem.

Anyway.

The map is well done, and obviously ambitious if I look at the setpieces and the scale. The relatively uniform Knave texturing isn't my favourite, I'll admit that. But maybe I've just seen it too often. Grey walls with red "windows" and blue arches. The rock parts were good though.

Lighting as Spirit said, could have been more shadowy. I think I liked the area after the silver key door best, looks-wise and also overall.

Monster placement... The ogres in this map are definitely poor chaps, because their grenades don't travel far enough to reach the player. Also since they travel longer, they're easier to evade. This is probably due to the scale of the rooms, atria etc., they are clearly too large for the monsters to be effective. Let's face it, an Ogre is only dangerous at close to medium range. Same with scrags, I often saw them before they saw me, because they were so far removed. So it was sunday-afternoon sniping with the NG. Thank you for generous supply of big NIN boxes.

Fiend usage: The first one was OK, but there was (again) lots of space to outmaneuver him. The one behind the SK door was SO predictable - I had already anticipated something like that when the GK door opened, but nothing happened there, so I thought "OK, this time for sure." And bang, door opens, fiend is surprised instead of me.

One shambler I remember, but a bit easy to repeatedly use doorways for cover while walking backwards. Rather block the way behind the player, and just provide a little cover. I also remember one vore, placed pretty far below the player who is on some kind of walkway (in the area after SK door?) so projectiles were no threat at all.

Vorelings were fun as always (great, great monster) but again, the distance was often big enough that tossing a grenade to greet them was possible ...

Modern maps have just sooo much comfy space for the player to use, while oldschool maps often have the player with his back to the wall (in Easy) and optionally with his pants down (in Hard).

I realize it was Easy, so I'm probably expecting too much. But even then monsters should be used effectively and for a modern map the difficulty should be at least challenging, even in Easy. I was constantly running around in these big halls looking for monsters.

I would also have expected some more responses when I took keys, activated buttons etc. but no more than a few scrags appeared.

Ammo and health was plenty, I had to leave half of it behind. Found no secrets, because frankly there was no need for armor, powerups etc. and so I wasn't motivated.

Vermis battle: Again, you have lots of room, so it was circle-strafing and firing the RL until it was dead. I stupidly killed myself shortly after (got bored with life) so that was that.

There were some places where the game became sluggish, but that was expected and so I don't complain. It was never unplayable or something. For a map of those proportions it was actually OK.

No traps? Apart from the red fluid that insta-kills you? :-) In general, since this is Quoth, I'd have liked more rotating stuff, weird machinery, intricate lifts and trains, traps etc. As it is, it's a bit plain. The jump pads... tbh I would prefer noisy clanky oldschool lifts, trains or even teleporters. The jump pads feel like something from a deathmatch map.

I also noticed there was no underwater stuff.

It's obviously a good map, but doesn't really grab me personally. I'm just not the exploring, tourist kind of player. A grenade in the back more often would have been nice.

gb 
Nice Sprawling Map 
I liked this map - it is true to both Knave and Quoth. I do like exploration maps especially ones filled with secrets and I've found 10. I still have to go back and scour for the last one (I got all without cheating). The secrets are fair - you just have to look around.

I played on Hard and felt it was fair and had some good challenges. Supplies were good but then again, I had secrets to help me out. I found the ogre grenades to be deady since they bounced everywhere. Also, the Vorelings were effective - can't say I love Vorelings although they are well designed. I just think they should die with one well placed single shotgun round.

I liked that there were truly dark corners in the map and they weren't minlighted. Every castle needs dark areas. The outdoor valley was a grand vista.

So thanks Hrimfaxi for a good chunk of Quake time. 
Distrans... 
...if you're asking about needing to GL jump for the secret RA; the answer is no. I got it with a GL jump but found the proper way later.

Hehehe.

Look everywhere folks.

No where is that 11th... 
Hmm... 
has anyone complained yet about the inconsistent filenames of the bsp, readme, and archive? 
Okay Actually Playing It Now... 
normal, 41 minutes, 4 secrets, 166/166 kills

Complaints!
1. scaled up water textures look funny to me
2. misspelling: "Door opend"
3. fulldark impaled bodies
4. was able to skip the gold key door by climbing over a steep rock from a balcony (but i went back and played it the correct way)
5. eye of shadows secret -- becuase i grabbed this before getting the gold key, i ended up having to run all the way around and up the wind tunnel again and it ran out before I made it back to the gold key again. Oops.
6. wish you had slightly smoother arches, especially the bigger ones.

Cool stuff!
1. Architecture -- style and scale. obelisks and obelisk-like details look cool. The rooftops and the many towers and building bits all mushed together made a cool looking castle when you looked out a window to see it.
2. Texture alignment and usage.
3. Lighting -- no minlight abuse yay!
4. Does quoth code do something to smooth out the scragg movement? It seems much smoother than normal.
5. layout and flow and interconnections 
Metl 
I sweared to myself about the file issues. 
8-) 
Thanks for all your comments!
I'm glad to see the map was well recived.
And thank you for the demos it's always goo to see how people work their way around a map.

The startmap.
Yes I agree it isn't as well polished as it should. I don't have that much time to map these days, and I was getting a bit bored with these maps at the end, after looking at them for over a year.
So when the startmap was working and did what it should I said enough is enough and released the whole thing.

Secrets.
There are no reason to get any secrets with GJ or RJ (but you can if you want 8-))- all secrets can be adressed by normal jumps or buttons, hidden dors etc.

Qouth.
I find the quoth monsters a bit to strong myself. I also hate the Quoth knight sword attacks when they hit you long before they are in reach. And the vorlings are a bit to strong to shoot. and so on. But I used qouth because it gives some more variety of monsters. I hope some of the letback of monster attacts in Quoth will bee fixed in Quoth 2.

Well anyway thanks for your feedback!
8-) 
Found All 11 Secrets 
They all seemed fair enough to me. 
More Later. 
But first:

Monster placement... The ogres in this map are definitely poor chaps, because their grenades don't travel far enough to reach the player. Also since they travel longer, they're easier to evade. This is probably due to the scale of the rooms, atria etc., they are clearly too large for the monsters to be effective.

Total bullshit. This map had some of the most consistently challenging Ogre barrages around. Any of the larger rooms that you entered casually without sniping the Ogres, you get a full on storm of grenades. The easiest Ogres to face were precisely the ones you can deal with at medium-closer range. 
No. 
That's not what I was talking about; I like grenades served precisely to the face, instead of spammed loosely around me.

Grenades from high places are easy to evade, even multiple ones, when you have so much space.

And they often create infighting, which lowers the threat level even more.

*shrug*

It's an exploring map, and there's nothing wrong with that. 
How Do You Get To Nightmare Entrance? 
I looked and looked, and fell in the lava plenty, but couldnt figure it out!

Really nice map BTW, I started it, got killed, and was meant to be working in office at the time anyway, so sacked it off. Architecture is stunning though. How long did it take to vis? Makes all of my maps look really simple eh! 
Ricky 
there is a shootable switch �somewhere� ;) on the start map.

Btw I liked the start map a lot, it�s always great if the nightmare entrance is hidden like in the original game, gives me always a warm fuzzy feeling before the main map :P

The main map... everything has been said already, IMO another Quoth classic, and I just love everything by Hrimfaxi.

@The Silent : well you already promised a demo on Warp E, come on show us your skillz :) (I also might do a demo later though) 
Yeah! 
Sielwolf said it about nightmare!

The vis time on break.bsp was around 54 hours! 8-) 
Hmmm... 
That should be breakfast.bsp.... 
Tag! 
Caught with my pants down! I did not even remembered I promised a WarpE demo...
It's very sad when you get old... ; p

Well, I guess I'll have to find time to show you how much one man can suck at playing games...

ALL RIGHT, THEN! (drums roll)
I'll be damned if next week I don't post a full 100%secrets-ultra-hard-blood-pumping-extraviolent-NIghtmare run!
You have been warned!

Hmmm... well, something like that, anyway... well, maybe... you see...
(sits in rocking chair with cup of tea) 
Woah 
. . . is that a 100% warpe NM demo?

Don't, for the love of god. 
; )))) 
Nah... I think Sielwolf meant a Hrimsp3 run... Not something long as Gone With The Wind... 
Warpe 
is pretty short, but there's two things that are pretty much 1/10 chance of surviving, since its a endmap for the pack - ones an armour secret circlejump and the other is the final combat, which has four Gugs, a Vermis, 20-odd Fiends and a Quad. 
Rotfl 
I'll be damned if next week I don't post a full 100%secrets-ultra-hard-blood-pumpi... run!

(sits in rocking chair with cup of tea)

I found that pretty funny. Old people really are like that. =)

four Gugs, a Vermis, 20-odd Fiends and a Quad.

I found that pretty funny, too, for different reasons.

*hugs Ijed* 
Aw Shucks :> 

What? 
It's an exploring map, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Rubbish.

If this is an exploring map, the every Quake release in the last two years apart from Warpspasm is an exploring map. 
I Dunno Like, Eh . . . 
Theres a lot of exploring to be done in Warpspasm!

I didnt think Breakfast At Twilight was an exploring map though. I died. 
Quick Comment: 
Great designs and a gripping map. Generally very tough with some particularly hard combats in the middle (Fiend room with no health before). Even on the second run it was just plain hard. Some redistribution of supplies would have helped. Design is inspiring through almost all of it especially outdoor bits, some great spectacles. Good secrets too! 
Great Map 
I got away from Team Fortress long enough to play this, and I had more fun playing Quake/Quoth with this map than I have had in a while. Just my sort of thing, a long vertical layout with enough monsters to give a good challenge, but not so many that my hands grew numb and my brain stopped sparking.

Layout was fun except when I got knocked off a ledge by a Quoth knight, and had to go about finding my way up again. No problems with monster placement, maybe a bit easy but who among us doesn't know the Quake/Quoth monster ai inside and out by now.

Oh, and all the messages about the buttons were ripe for a 'that's what she said.'Oh, the secret button to raise the gate.' That's what she said!

Thanks, hrimsexyfaxi 
Yeah 
this isn't an exploring map, but it might seem like it since you can poke around the edges (and find secrets), and its sheer scale of sweet scenery. Great sense of open space, like being in a big city.

I've admitted bias towards the author's style, but this is one awesome map. Don't quit anytime soon man! 
Yo 
played this map and it's impressive even compaired to all the other maps. I wish i could make some prefabs from the arcitecture to add to my own outdoor maps or even my own home lol 

Very nice! I played on nightmare (can't resist a rj!), took me about an hour with a dozen or two quickloads, but I finished. Missed one enemy and 4 secrets tho :/

Great architecture, ambitious but you lived up to the ambition. 
Wow 
now thats what i call maps ! nice, very nice. it may have deserved a skybox. no clearly coloured lightining but the rest made up for this. finished on normal with only 5 secrets found. (and other 3 spotted but not found way to them - the RA and the nailgun enhancer and the LG). The one I may regret is the LG (lightning gun). I found the secret to it later by some accidental running with noclip, but it would be hard to detect by normal way.
Do you have any more such maps ? 

I remember, the best thing about the secrets in this map was that you saw them, then had to figure out the puzzle.

Hrimfaxi, your public needs you. 

cornelus google is webpage 
In Fact 
the link to his page and other maps is in the first post. but i realised that only after posting :) 
Cornelus 
So it looks like you found my web page before I saw your post! Good!
Hope you find something you like.
And thanks for your comments! 

Well, I'd been a bit late - but better late than never. Looks are great, combat is challenging and the layout is highly interconnected. A success.

Allright, here are skill2 demos of mine - 32mins, under Fitz.
http://shub-hub.com/files/demos_singleplayer/hrim_sp3_erc.dz 
Thanks Erc 
for the demo! 
@ Hrimfaxi 
3 something years after the last post, i have just installed it and begun playing.

hard skill

no cheeky reloading until halfway through, when i performed a few retarded gl shots, and realised i didn't aim it directly above me onto the ledge (came down onto me silly old head!).

the cramped library where you are attacked by two fiends (then two more after them!).
that was tough, seeing as i have only started playing games with a mouse about a month ago!
that was tough! i had to reload that quicksave and practice my moves, strafing around the corners while moving backwards, trying not to get stuck on door-frames!.

there was another war of attrition siege moment when i passed under about four or five archways, and had to climb some stairs. quoth/id knights pinning me down, and when i retreated back down the corridor with five arches, there where more running across the tops of the arches sniping at me! pretty tough, but i got there.

the architecture and the map layout is at once engrossing and immersive.

on the subject of being new to using a mouse:

before anyone starts with that "argh, what!? i bet you used to play consoles with control pads!?" talk, i'll have you know while that merits truth, before that i was a qwerty keyboard tapping mutherf**ker!! [heh heh!]
i grew up on the c16, spectrum 'n' c64 shizz! q,a,o,p and space bar all the way! no joysticks for me.
i would have a real problem going back to using a control pad now, a dark day that would be.. 
Welcome To Quake! 

Cheers! 
moving on from quake 64 to this stuff, make a whole lotta sense!

i just finished the map. 9/11 secrets. the other 2 leave me completely stymied! 
Peter Tron 
Try Red777 next. 
Will Do 
i have already started soul of evil though, and i really like this!
at first i wasn't sure, as the whole vibe about it looked so far removed from quake.
once i started, i knew it was special.
so far, it has a really good pace and atmosphere. 
Nice Map Indeed 
Darn 
there's a quad in that lasty room geuss i should redo it :) 
Breakfaster! 
http://members.upc.nl/verorber/breakfaster.rar

still but sloppy here and there, but since its quoth i didnt use a grenade timer wich nerfs my succesrate quite a bit :)

(removed the old one) 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.