News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Q1SP - I Pity Thee Not
It's time for METAL!

I've wanted to make a classically runic metal map since I started mapping.
The first map of a planned runic metal episode, I Pity Thee Not has been delayed in an almost complete state by - among other things - work on Quoth. For literally years. Regardless of whether the rest of the episode ever sees the light of day, this map deserves its release at last.

THIS MAP REQUIRES QUOTH.

screenshots:
http://kell.leveldesign.org/screenshots/ss-kellmet1-a.jpg
http://kell.leveldesign.org/screenshots/ss-kellmet1-b.jpg
http://kell.leveldesign.org/screenshots/ss-kellmet1-c.jpg
http://kell.leveldesign.org/screenshots/ss-kellmet1-d.jpg

download:
http://kell.leveldesign.org/kellmet1/kellmet1.zip ( 1.16 mb )

webpage:
http://kell.leveldesign.org

Happy New Year

Wow. New runic/Quoth map from Kell himself! Thats exactly what I needed today, thanks for release! Good job, but I must frankly say I liked Kells previous releases more than this one. Its of course not the way new "I Pity Thee Not" would be any bad. Not at all. I am looking forward to play it through very much right after finishing this message. But previous Kells releases are simply unbeatable I guess, with its whole new Quoth scheme Kell had invented with Necros. (Quoth styled maps are still my favourite, perfectly expanding Lovecraftian vibe of original Quake)

The difficulty of "I Pity Thee Not" is quite tough on skill 1, I have died many times (which is not complaint).

PS: If you like runic/metal maps, feel free to try my older "Horror Trip" level from "In Ovo" miniepisode. 
Happy New Year Indeed 
Can't wait to get home to revel in more Kell goodness. 

Its quite obvious "I Pity Thee Not" was done before all the Quoth thing. Its more boxy than the latter of the Kells maps, but still looks good of course (it would fit to the third episode of original Quake with no problem, just classical runic map). What I do appreciate the most about "I Pity Thee Not" is non-linear gameplay, ideal difficulty not letting you beat the level at the first attempt, usage of Quoth monsters (knights) + spectacular architecture at the places (exit portal). Dislikes: huge buttons. Worth playing. 
Now That Is A Start Into 2008! 
I thoroughly enjoyed playing it, especially because of the _very good_ balance. I accidentaly deleted my first run demos :(
Played on skill 2, died one time (at the lava-button pool by a missile push into the lava from those quoth knights, heh). Found 2 secrets.

The lighting is not too great and the map itself a bit confusing, the rest is beautiful and well crafted. 

To Zwiffle: Hi, I have played your "Born Of Madness" from Lost Chapters today, having a good fun. Havent you created more of such Quoth stuff please? 

yeee very fun and cool level like it a lot! well balenced and realy nice construcion... i hope someday i map like you, you rockkkkzzzz

happy new year to you to Kell hope 2008 will be a better year for all of us!

thks your maps rockzzz

http://trinca.quaddicted.com/temp/kellmet1.dz

hard demo!

very very fun! found only 3 secrets... saw the 666 secret :\ but didn+t find way... i will replay it for sure again :) to find the rest! 

Awesome sauce! Thanks for the level. And thanks for making it playable in standard Quake! A little flickering of entities but I don't really care about that.

Nice brush work in many areas! 
Good. 
Nicest "happy new year" you could have wished, Kell.
Thank you and HNY to you and all of you Func_msgboarders.

Let's hope .08 is filled with awesome maps as .07!

This map is a killer. But, where are the 2 exits supposed to lead? Joequake crashed upon entering the blue one. 

Thanks for the demo, Trinca!

It reminded me, I should have said: NONE OF THE RUNES IN THIS MAP ARE SHOOTABLE. Just so no-one wastes inordinate amounts of time shooting them all for secrets.
I've updated the readme to include this little FYI 

i didn�t shoot then all Kell ;) 

Well no, but you were trying your best :P 
Nice New Years Present 
Haven't seen too many metal/runic themes lately, so this was a nice change. Bit easy though, but thats okay. The 2 different exits that point to kellmet3 and kellmet4 hint that you have more coming up... right? 

oh my gosh
oh my gosh
oh my gosh
i think i need to download this! 
Also 
good old crushers a la heretic/doom are underused in quake. this map is a step in the right direction. 

hello how are you 
Kell 
Very very nice map, I enjoyed it a lot, so I started the new year with a very good moment of fun: thanks a lot and Happy New Year.

Just a question: where the end teleporters are supposed to "teleport" us ? I tested both of them, but FitzQuake blocked at this point... (i.e you enter the teleporter and then.. prrrt, nothing except a black screen and a loading message... that load nothing: wtf ?) :/

Anyway, it was a pure cool moment of fun !

Keep it up ! 

Good start of the new year we got here :)
You can't go wrong downloading and playing a Kell map. I liked the architecture and scale. There were some nice details I really liked. The lights and the end screen for example. The secrets were good also. I found 5 of them. The map wasn't too hard. Just enough supplies to finish it without problems on hard skill. Some more ambushes and surprises to spice up the gameplay would be good though. The resized textures on some faces looked strange to me also.

http://shub-hub.com/files/demos_netquake/kellmet_ankh.dz 
Yeada 
Nice little map. Took me around 10 minutes. I found one secret but that's the way it usually is for me. A bit too easy on normal.

Here's a demo of my first playthrough:
http://www.mediafire.com/?eghyybbvv3v 

Great! Another release!
Downloading... Anything by Kell must be good quality. 

Great! Another release!
Downloading... Anything by Kell must be good quality. 

Sorry, due to connection issue, accidentally posted two posts.
Please delete one of them, and this post after that. 

excellent little map, very well made. Nice combination of textures and neat little details. Gameplay is good, and yes it would make a very nice first map in an episode. 
Well 
haven't checked it out yet, but I hope that it pervades the general type of Kell evil, and I also hope the universe soon implodes.

insert further, more sober, comments at a later point. 
Great Fun! 
This map was really good fun - I loved the voreling skirmishes, l00ts of cunningly positioned of Ogres made for plenty quick dodging all the time! Brushwork was very cool looking also - just like a metal quake level, bits of it felt slightly mid-evil also, I particularly liked the two teleporters at the end - they look fucking cool. I guess I was expecting it to be a bit harder on Nightmare than it was... people say my maps are too hard tho so ? - Maybe I should start playtesting my levels on nightmare to get a better balance!

Anyway this is a Nightmare demo:
http://shub-hub.com/files/demos_singleplayer/rickyt23kellmet1.dz

This was attempt four - one go i got killed by a feind, a couple of other times I fell in the lava by the SNG!

Thanks Kell - Great fun map! 
Gah 
too bad i need quoth. dont want to install extra stuff. :( 

this is vrey embarrassing, btu alll this time i thoght quoth wa sa source port! :D

maybe i should stop doign drugs? 
Awesome! 
Kell, thanks for this new year present! Cool map with attention to details and balance. Brought nostalgic feeling when playing amongst metal.wad.
Kell you rock, thanks! 
Great Stuff! 
Well executed, as usual, with classic Kell style. The gameplay and layout were nicely planned and never frustrating. It's good to a have a metal map in the midst of all the base business we've been having lately. I could nitpick a few texture alignments and a few odd brushes here and there but I won't ;)

I also like the whole no monsters on easy idea, too. It really helps show off your killer brushwork.

Aces! 
Oh Boy! 
Very nice map!
Brushwork and texture ursage was really good, but I didn't expect anything else from a Kell map!
Played on hard and didn't find it that hard 8-)
but the build and layout of the map really was wonderful!
I am really looking forward to the next realese! 
Nice Map. 
Metal roxx.

Interesting texture usage in this one. Sometimes I wasn't so keen but on many times it was like Metal+, made suitably more evil. I like some of the cool designs too, especially the end teleporter. It was fairly easy on Hard skill, started off well but got easier towards the end with the SNG. I got 3 secrets including the 666.

Good fun quake :) 
Good, Good Flava.... 
...good vibrations, man...
NM
5/6
66/66

Just because Sielwolf, a while ago, asked for a taste of mah mad skillz.
Hope your sense of humour will save me...

Obviously, contains spoilers... 
Am I Dumb Or What? 
Forgot the shubhub link.
And it seems it won't let me upload it.
But, I put it on Rapidshare until Shub becomes nicer to me...

http://rapidshare.com/files/80979191/the_silent_kellmet1_nm.dz.html

There ya go. 
BTW... 
On skill 0, the teleport after the plasma gun is broked. 
Excellent... 
What a way to start the year. Loved the progression, especially the folding back over and multiple route choice (along with some nice return spawns). Detail was very Kell, flame holders for example...but please take this as a compliment when I say that the overall feel was very solidly vonduresque (a la Solarfall).

Played skill 1, felt balanced with a decent challenge every now and then. Weapons came to hand when required. I'll be playing this through often over the next two weeks. 
Nice One 
The open layout (does it have DM settings?) was great. Gameplay too - more subtle use of Quoth bestiary for a change. The red metal texture fit well. I didn't like the texture choice for the flame holders though. 
Errr 
Shield, that's the only one I can't work out how to get. Someone tell me. 
Shield? 
Do you mean 666? If so, it's in my demo.... 
..shield 
I think it's in the first demo posted by Trinca. 
Delicious 
although i definitely HATE vorelings :-> i really enjoyed the map and the gameplay on it.
Well placed monsters and good architecture.
Could only find one secret in two goes and didnt understand the end: choose your exit ???
But overall a very nice map, will play it again! 

the sillent: this isn't a first run demo, right?

Spoiler below!

Shambler: if you mean the cross of deflection you can get it by shooting 4 blood grille on the ceiling at the lift where the fiend spawns 
Nah.. 
Just a Nightmare run....
BTW... Could anyone please give me a hint to last missing secret? 
The Silent 
the hint is in my previous post ;)

I have also made a NH run and I think you have better chances to survive this map than in many maps from the original game. 
Good Map 
Nice detailing; at first I thought it was a bit overdone, but that's the metal style.

Monsters could have been a bit tougher placed - I was a bit dissapointed in the solo Shambler at the end, for example. Would have liked to have seen some Death Lords as well to give the knight component a bit more kick. 
Yay 
Played on nightmare as usual, was quite a bit of fun. I liked the straightforward yet still interesting gameplay you managed to engender, Kell. I didn't find all those secrets, although I certainly could see them! I tried to make it to the one near the SNG but I just didn't have enough health to endure such burning damage rates ;)

I hope you fix up the rest of this pack and release it. CZG did something like that with Terra and it turned out wonderfully. 
Yeah 
Good map!
Can't make it to the end, keep on dying.
Really feels like an old classic quake map! 
Ankhie, Baby... 
"I have also made a NH run and I think you have better chances to survive this map than in many maps from the original game."

Do you mean I suck THAT much?

Oh, god... The warrior inside me is ashamed.
I'm on my way to commit seppuku(Quake style, that is, type"KILL" at the console).

;))) 
And, Btw... 
...If I'm not mistaken, I got the one you talk about in post #40...

Must be another one, I hink... well, I'll go check it... 
The Silent 
Sorry! I have used the wrong words. It wasn't meant that way. Your demo was ok. It was my english that sucked.

I hope now it is better:

I have also made a NH run and I think that one has better chances to survive it in this map than in many maps from the original game.  
No Problem, But... 
... I still don't understand what you mean.... 
Lol 

Well... 
...I thought it was a *teeny tad* easy on Nightmare! I mean I rocketted through the level on skill 3 in about 13 mins without finding any of the secrets...

...it was great fun though!! Also the map looked really sexy!

:D 
No Problem 

Finished On Hard 
Nice, well built and not that hard metal map. Felt good to play some fresh Runic.

I got all 6 secrets without cheats or clues (aside from the one in the readme.) This is a very nice secret hunter's map due to the variety of clues and techniques needed to find them. To me good secrets are ones with clues and ones that any normal player can find.

Now wouldn't it be nice if both exit cled somewhere. 
It Would Be Nicer... 
...if one exit randomly gibbed you.

Or perhaps not. 
Wow 
it's good to see another release from Kell. A very nice classic quake map. It makes me want to make a small map in the style of one of the original episodes (tho it's rather rare these days, isn't it?).

/me is waiting for another one 
Me Too PuLSaR 
What you think about that?
Would your map be Base, Metal, Midevil or Eldar?
(Mine wud B Base, 4 sure :-) 
Ricky 
i'm not sure so far. i like runic, but i've already made that one, medieval maybe. but ep4 also maybe 

hi, how about playing quake 1 over internet? I use non-gl joequake engine+hamachi (v1.0.1.5) program to connect directly with other players. lets play! my icq 259 689 233, email jardomir.b@seznam.cz 
Thanks Kell 
Solid map, good monster placement and good balance. I like the blend of grotto floor texture and runic.

Got no secrets on the first play through, although I found one or two shootable thingies. I'll keep looking.

Gameplay was fun, nice how the map wrapped around itself, and good use of Quoth monsters, especially vorelings.

As Ijed already stated, the detailing is almost a bit overdone, personally I'd use less wall decorations and more extreme shadows (e1m6 is a good example.)

The crushers were a bit too blatantly nicked from e3m3 :-) with the lava and bridges...

A map with NO keys ^^

Nice. 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.