News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
New Q1SP: The Katagean Redoubt
Decked out in E1M4-esque textures, 136 monsters, 8 secrets and possessing full coop support. Enjoy!

Shots:
http://shub-hub.com/files/images/cjhsp1_1.jpg
http://shub-hub.com/files/images/cjhsp1_2.jpg

Download:
http://www.quaddicted.com/filebase/cjhsp1.zip

[added screenshots -- metlslime]
Very Good. 
Proper Quake. Some real good designs and some real good combats. 
Oh Yes 
This map rocks! Name is The Katagean Redoubt.

Screenshots:
http://shub-hub.com/files/images/cjhsp1_1.jpg
http://shub-hub.com/files/images/cjhsp1_2.jpg 
Darn, Beat Me To It! 
Yes 
A very nice map with some unusual, yet cool stylistic architecture.
Gameplay was fun on normal, sufficient ammo, sometimes even properly dosed items (mostly health), found 5/8 secrets.
I wonder, though, why none of the great beta testers reported about the four item_rocket falling out and the numerous unaligned rivet textures on angled brushes... >;( 
Because We're Not Aspies 

Wait 
Are we talking about the same IRC channel? 
Added The Name Of The Map :) 

Nice Indeed 
Nice architecture, that looks really Quakey :D Good monsters placement, maybe too much ammos (but I have exactely the default... so...) and lighning effect are cool as well, while there are some completely pitch black area... Anyway, it was a cool moment of fun.
Keep it up ! 
Weapons Please 
Where is the double barrelled shotgun, if I may ask? Don't say "in a secret".

When opening the door on top of the "tower" with the hellknights and ogres, the map crashes Tyrquake with this error:

Error coming up...
surface->extents[0] == 0
surface->extents[1] == 16
miplevel == 3
Error: D_SCAlloc: bad cache size 0
VID_Shutdown

Zommggggg real real fun map!!! enjoy it a lot!!!

Love the architecture, layout and monsters placemente!!!

Perfect Hard Still

Not impossible at first run and real real fun... even scare me the last 3 shamby.

thank you very much and there it goes my first demo!

http://trinca.quaddicted.com/temp/cjhsp1_trinca.dz 
Gb 
Right in the middle of the main atrium.

Tyrquake? Wha? 
Ah. 
Found it by noclipping around. It would have been nice to have it a little earlier, with those death knights.

Tyrquake: http://disenchant.net/ 
Excellent 
What a refreshing map. Really nice gameplay all the way through and the changes in architecture kept it interesting until the finish, really nicely done.

Two things bothered me - the Shambler placement was sometimes a bit off, compared to how all other monsters seemed flawlessly placed to take advantage of the environment and the player. The map was mainly tested for normal?

Armour seemed very light - 4/8 secrets, two of those being armour, and just before a nasty / big fight each one; without them I'dve been in deep shit.

Otherwise a great map - both the things I mentioned being very minor problems indeed, only visible at all because of the otherwise excellent level of qaulity.

I did get trapped behind the lift that goes down to the first circular portal, unable to escape.

First part of an episode? 
Very Good... 
I enjoyed this one immensely. The architecture and gameplay were classically executed throughout. I never came close to dying even when diving after two Shamblers with nothing but a grenade launcher left. Of course I did find the big secret at the end to help me through the final combat ;-)

Welcome back, indeed! 
Nice Map 
stylistic traditional quake. The lighting was maybe a bit unhighlighting. The theme was at least solid, maybe complaining about sticking too much to the same textures would be missing a point.
Was a bit hard gameplay wise, mainly the shamblers. Played on normal.

Many times the monsters were placed nicely so you had to move to avoid getting hit. Also the level winded around itself pretty well. And there were different sections like the lava towers.

I still don't like death knights, they have too many hitpoints and are so damn slow that it's almost always just a boring super shotgun exercise. 
Downloading 
shot2 looks cool.

Have you made any maps before this? That's pretty impressive looking for a first map if not. 
Forgot To Say 
The darkness secret was great as well. 
OK, OK - Err.... 
This level is very good. Really good - like Terra. I love the brushwork!! Sooo simple but very effective! (the opposite of my current venture - sooo complicated but ineffective) The lighting seemed a bit dark in places, but it was pretty atmospheric.

Made me wanna stop making my sucky Doom3/Dkt level and do a Mid-evil one!!!

Ho hum.

One thing though. I was making you a skill 2 demo, and just after the zombies I find myself cornered by a feind with only a GL. I have like 100 health at this point and loads of yellow armour, but the fourth grenade killed us both. No shells + no nails + corner + feind = NOT FAIR!!!

Was enjoying it though!!!

Ill do a NH l8R!!!!

Thanks

PS - Simulacrum - Wanna collaborate and do an ID-style episode? (I read your readme - ha ha car park ;P )

PPS - serious about the episode though. 
Nitin: 
I did a rather crappy q1sp back in '01, and a section of the second map of OUM. This is my first 'proper' map though.

http://teamshambler.planetquake.gamespy.com/rev010806.html#2ndreview

Ricky: I recommend barely using the shotgun before you get the super shotty. There's plenty of nails up to that point, leaving you quite a few shells to attack the fiends with. As for the episode...I'll think about it:) 
Ah Yep 
got that one, I quite like it.

Looking forward to this. 
RickyT 
A fiend should die after the third grenade :) 
I'll Post The Demo 
The fiend did gib on the fourth grenade. I thought I would survive the last grenade too, I had 40 health.

http://shub-hub.com/files/demos_singleplayer/rickycjhsp1.7z

Just to clarify, I still thing the map was pretty well balanced, it felt pretty well balanced and I was having lots of fun :D but as you will see by the time I got the GL I had no nails and no shells (so I was very happy to see the GL)

I personally didnt think that I had wasted a lot of shots. 
Great 
Had a LOT of fun.

First run on skill 1 was smooth and enjoyable, shamblers didn't bothered me as some said, and the hellknght's packs where a pleasure to kill: a couple of grenades in the middle and then shotgun till their dead.

Second run on skill 2 was hard, but I died only once.
And here is my demo for darkplaces in skill 3

http://shub-hub.com/files/demos_singleplayer/ci475_cjhsp1.zip

unfinished! :)-

I'm very happy that this map has a special twist for coop play. I love maps with good coop support, usually are the one that I treasure in my hard drive.

Architecture simple, dark, green! beautiful

I hope to play some more maps form you, an episode in collaboration with RickyT23, maybe? 
Very Nice 
Really enjoyig level! Very balanced and smells proper oldskool. Need more of such goodness :)

Here's my first run demo. I died trying to solve the button puzzle there in the end, too bad I didn't use the teleporter to the secret room, otherwise i'd survive :)

First run demo: http://vondur.net/files/cj.zip 

This was great. I haven't enjoyed a q1sp this completely for a while.

30 minutes, 7/8 secrets ( which were good )

More feedback later maybe. 
AWESOME KICK ASS MAP ! 
This map is a winner !

Geez ! Another great map in my permanent Q1 map collection. Thanks a lot, this one is terrific. I just can't believe how long is the life of this old and venerable game !

The architecture is simply perfect. My only complain is the lack of atmospheric sounds in many rooms. 
Pleasant Surprise 
This one is really good. E1 theme, yet different to original E1. Good fun, very large, a lot of space to move. Two shamblers guarding the gold-key-door found me hurt and unprepared= quick and brutal end during first play (but I got far, didn�t I).
OT1: I recommend playing CZG�s e1m1rmx before this one to gain the mini-episode-1 feel (you are teleported from infested slipgate complex idbase to strange dimension-used in my In Ovo mini-episode too), it�s also good idea to use new NIN 4CD Ghosts as soundtrack to this map too. Some of the tracks fit to quake well (some less).
OT2:+few quake1 fanart drawings I made during weekend are to be found here
http://www.drawingboard.org then go to Superheroes/Quake1 fanart
or here
http://www.comicspace.com/jaromir83/ 

Fully comparable to CZG�s czg03 map (next E1 style masterpice). Which means something. 

I really digg the jumping-over-lava room, columns with twisted metal bars. Lighting is perfect (not only) there. Good to know the map is so huge, cjhsp1.bps means as much for E1-like level editing as ant.bsp means for rusty-metalic-windtunnel level editing. 

Reminded me some of the E1-styled mexx series levels. Such epic this one is! 

Good job, man! I was having a great time in it. Really nice classic Quake map.

It crashed for me on stock Quake on OSX after I went through a double set of double doors, but until then it was awesome. I guess I need to use a more modern engine? 

Oh, and I loved the part with the winding staircase that kept going up and up to different floors. Really nice idea there! 

Just to prove that I'm a maniac, I did my first playthrough on Nightmare skill, killed 140 monsters, found 3 secrets and exited in 25:10 with 1 health left.

Very good architechture all around, lots of space to move and escape if monsters scared me too much. Every time shamblers appeared, I was shocked: "Is this my end?" I managed to survive though, except I had to noclip at one point because I was trapped behind a lift and there was no other way out. Also, I did the same mistake as Vondur in the end. :P

Then I recorded a speedrun on Easy skill... finishing in 3:15.

http://nahkahiir.thps3.net/quake/cjhsp1_2510.zip
http://nahkahiir.thps3.net/quake/cjhsp1_315.zip 
Willem 
I can send you a beta of Fitz SDL, if you're interested. It seems to run fine. 

That would be great! Please do. I'll give it a shot this weekend if you send it over. 

It was pretty fun, had this nice, clean look and some interesting architecture. I was surprised to find six out of eight secrets since usually I don't even search for them. I guess they were pretty obvious. At first I thought it took a bit too long to get yer hands on the double-barreled but the map turned out to be pretty long so it wasn't such a problem. Anyways, I do think the map was a bit too easy on normal. I don't remember being even close to dying except at the very end during the last Shambler wave. Took me 15-20 minutes.

Here's a demo of my first playthrough on normal: http://www.mediafire.com/?0g9ntdtlett 
Old-skool Apart From The Size 
Enjoyed this. Died once on easy in the double vore set piece -- didn't see where the platforms went in the rush and the murk :/

Anyone found all the secrets yet? I found 4, all fairly early, then kind of stopped looking it seems... 
Nahkahiir 
great demos on a great map! Maybe an addition to SDA? 
Ive Found 7 Secrets 
Anyone found 8? I found the 'easter egg' one. 
Easter Egg? 
OK 
6 is the one I was missing
8 is the 'Easter Egg' ;P

I know its not a propper easter egg. No Mugshot! Or messages about killing Adrian Carmack or John Romero, but, well lets just say, er, lets not spoil the 'surprise'.... :-|

Thanks Spirit! 
AguirRe 
That's what we are going to do. It's been a while since we added a GREAT map to the archive.

I have found 6 secrets. 
Spirit NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 
Come on: you ruined my evening.... I was about to replay the map looking for secrets... you nasty guy :P 
Couldn't You Have Just NOT LOOKED?!?! 

RickyT23 
No, I'm too much curious ;) 
Oh 
Did you used to be named Apollo? Are you going to do some more speedmapping? 
Possibly... 
when is it? 
Great 
map. Excellent in all areas really. Not much more to say. 
Indeed... 
...this is classic quake with difficulty tweaked for modern players. Excellent work! The whole thing felt soooooo...solid. Your reuse of areas at different levels is something I've always tried to emulate. Bleh, I'm going home to play it again... 
Awesome Map! 
This map is great! It looks great and it plays very well. It has a quakey feel.
Demo on hard skill:

http://shub-hub.com/files/demos_singleplayer/cjhsp1_ankh.dz 

Great great great! I died 3 short of the finish :(
Really nice architecture and texture use. Excellent gameplay all around. Got stuck under 2 dufferent lifts and had to noclip out. Otherwise, I give it a 9+. Thanks for the great work. 
Nice Map 
Skill 1
30:21
3/8
135/136

Was damn hard, but good fun. That was my second attempt, btw. My first attempt ended with me falling off he bridge and into the lava. I was more careful next time through to that area.

Map geometry was very nice, and very interconnected, although not always in the way that I expected it to be. A notable absence of doors that lock behind you (apart from early on with the 2 hell knights, and the ending of course), which worked well to my packratting style. Th sloped walls in the zombie area made tossing grenades around corners more interesting and not fully predictable, although if you aim carefully you can still take out the zombies without having a grenade go off in your face.

Nice weapon progression throughout, although I would've liked to have seen a section where you had just the single shotgun to take monsters down. Maybe not quite like in Marcher Fortress (where you have a fiend that's walking away from you, and it's a nice chalenge to down it in 13 shots without it hitting you), but maybe a few knights and scrags would've been interesting. Ammo felt like it was about right, although I did end with 77 rockets. If I were to play it again, I'd use them more often throughout the map, even though I felt that I was using them more than I usually do. Maybe I've been playing too many base maps...

Monsters were used well, although it would definitely have benefitted from a "spawn silent" function in places. Then again, that would've just made it harder. And evidently my fiend vs SSG fighting skills are a little rusty, as I took more hits that I would normally like. There was only really one or 2 bad monster placements, like the second fiend after you pick up the silver key (who can be shot without him reaching you) and a vore that spawned 1 level lower than the other one after the gold door. I did expect a bigger ambush after the gold key, though. Just having 8 scrags was a little disappointing...

End fight was interesting. Walked into the fight with a whole pack of nails, and ended up emptying them all into the fiends. Had to finish them with the SSG (normally not the problem) while picking up the 200 nail ammo and getting back upto 100 health, only to be greeted by 3 shamblers. Ran out of nails with only one dead and had to improvise with the SSG while taking a full lightning hit from both of them to take me down to 36, but I dropped them. 
Excellent 
i remember playing chsp1 when it was new and thought it was alright.. certainly not bad enough to warrant starting a new sequence of map names :P

needless to say this map is much MUCH better! the scale was perfect, as was the interconnecting vertical layout that made a great job of reusing rooms at different levels - one of my favourite aspects of level design. the architecture was consistently solid and well angled; there were a few awkward texture choices (blue vertical trims & tech floor lifts) but nothing major. did i mention how good the layout was?

standout point for me was emerging in front of the bridge at the top of the main atrium (with the 2 vores).. i found that really atmospheric. atmosphere seemed quite a strong point in this map overall actually; there was a good balance between forboding spacious areas that seemed to tower over you, and enclosed underground rooms that felt a little claustrophobic (in a good way). i also loved the multi-layered staircase willem referred to, one of those simple but neat designs that work so well in q1sp

gameplay was very good. i actually liked how the SSG was held back for a while at the start; i managed alright without it yet was all the more pleased to see it after being made to wait. combat was generally slightly on the easy side but always fun, and some of the ambushes were neat (if a little predictable.. some could have used a small delay so as to lure the player into a false sense of security). i agree with ijed on the shambler placement, namely in the main room after returning with the gold key - i ended up strafing around the ledge picking them off with the boomstick, which was a bit of a lowpoint. ending was satisfying enough, if a little standard

i only found 2 secrets (2 & 5 in spirit's list) but am annoyed i didn't get 7, especially since i managed to slopejump onto that bit to pop the shamblers from behind. unfortunately for some reason i jumped the other way, got stuck behind the button & had to noclip out ;/

still, brilliant map that suited my taste in q1sp down to a T. i noticed you plan on making a full episode... pretty big project to undertake but i wish you the best of luck with it. i started on one last year and am still only 40-50% done; it takes alot of hard work & dedication! i look forward to future releases from you either way. 
Finally Played It 
cannot add much to what has been said, superb map that leaves us wanting more.

I was recording the first run, but sadly my comp crashed shortly before end*, so here is just a screen for now (luckily I save on first runs):
http://shub-hub.com/files/images/fitz0000.jpg

*does anyone have crashes with an ATI on aguirRe�s engines (only?!), happens randomly for me and I have tried quite alot of stuff...:( 
Great Level! 
I really enjoyed playing this, the runic texture set and style always strikes a chord with me and it was done great here, very professionally made!

Progression was good, I never got lost or anything silly like that, combat was intense and you have room to move for the most part, I felt the final combat area was maybe a bit too much (a nice touch that you play with the players head when the door closes, I laughed out loud there) with regard to difficulty, but not frustratingly difficult.

Secrets were very nicely done, its always nice when a mapper keeps the secret hints the same throughout the map and then just lets the player find them with his/her own skill.

So overall I really enjoyed this, and am looking forward to your next release :) 
Finished On Hard 
I never tire of well made maps in this texture theme. Nice clean build - fun, long crawl and nicely atmospheric. Good 3D layout. Most battles felt fair but some multi sham bams seemed a bit harsh but not impossible.

I found all 8 secrets on my first pass through - no backpeddling required to find them. I liked that there were many and they were all fair.

Nice map - made my night. 

Very nice map, combat was really fun, layout was funky.

I also thought the shamblers were a bit dodgy. Ended up on the ledge before the GK door with only grenades and tried about ten times to grenade the two to death and failed, testament to my lack of skill. Even tried escaping from them up the lift shaft but was then ambushed by the two vores! Unfortunately I gave up here and had to restart the map because all my ammo was gone. More nails would have been fine - I conserved them very carefully in my second run through and those shamblers *still* ate all my nails and shells sniping at them from above.

The final showdown was hard but not impossible and really fun. 
Great Map 
I really enjoyed this! (Finally got around to playing it just now, it's probably been sitting on my desktop for months...)

Nice old school feel, interesting layout, I liked the fact that you were revisting areas from above (and also appreciated that there was always a new lift or staircase to get me back up if I fell down). I was never lost and always knew where to go to progress, but at the same time it didn't feel overly linear or predictable.

Combat arenas and monster placement were very good, there was always room to fight with adequate cover and movement options... as a result the ambushes were fun and never frustrating (the combat after picking up the gold key was a high point, it was an intense moment but not unfair). Similarly the end battle was very well done, it got the adrenaline going and was a fitting end to the map... I just scraped through, but had I died I'd have been blaming myself, not the map, which is always a good sign.

Item placement was also good (with the exception of the lack of armour outside secret areas). I had a decent weapon selection and enough ammo to get the job done AND have fun (didn't have to be super conservative). There was enough health, and it always seemed to be in the right place when I needed it.

Minor complaints (just nitpicking, none of it matters much):
- lack of any ambience was a bit odd in some parts, particularly early on (remember, most of us don't have music so no sound at all is weird).
- some monsters (just a couple) were placed in a way that made them ineffective. Nothing abnormally bad, just stood out because the rest of the monster placement was excellent.
- lack of armour on the main path. If I didn't get the RA before the last big battle, I'd have been royally fucked!
- lighting was not amazing (it wasn't bad, but a little more time spent on tweaking the lighting might have paid off).
- I got stuck once and had to noclip out (behind a button, not a lift, need more testing for this kinda stuff though).

I played on normal, and it was challenging but beatable on the first run (exactly as it should be). 29 minutes, and I missed 1 monster and 2 secrets. I'll definitely play through again on hard and try to find the stuff I missed.

Thanks for the excellent map, Simulacrum. 
Ditto 
I just played this yesterday and thought I should say that I really liked it. Do you have anything else in the works? 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.