News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Qexpo Speedmapping 3: Tilted
"A very controversial level..."

http://qexpo.tastyspleen.net/uploaded/140/smqe08c_pack.zip

You'll see why this 5 monster box map deserves it's own news thread - negke strikes again :)
Negke For President! 
This gave me a mild headache. Truly does what it says on the tin. Save before the very finish... 
Repeat. 
This, As Usual...
#2427 posted by the silent [82.185.144.141] on 2008/09/02 09:28:43
...is a work of pure genius.

Conveys such an uncomfortable feeling all the way...

Great work, Negke!

I was curious about who would have taken up the challenge of the "tilted" theme. I guessed right... 
I Actually Started.. 
A surf map in the vein of counterstrike (it's more fun than it sounds) but didn't have time to finish.

Negke's map was unexpectedly simple (no progs.dat tricks or mini-mods to be found here) but fulfils its purpose admirably. 
Great! 
It's just great, though too short. I need mmoore ) 
Ahaha 
That was terrifying. 
Well, Thanks 
Though I think the map is not much fun to play. Originally, it was supposed to be tilted on a second axis, as well, but I immediately changed my mind upon seeing what happened to the textures then. Even this single 45 degree rotation (which usually works fine in Quake) was frustrating enough. After a while, I gave up trying to seal the hundreds of microleaks.

Too bad nobody else gave this theme a try. Apart from a regular map with slightly tilted walls, the initial three ideas I had were either this, messing with the player's viewangle (teleport_destination thing), or going for that 2unlimited video. ;) 

Good stuff :)
Thankfully I hadn't comsumed any alcohol. I couldn't stop giggling all the way to the exit jump.. (which took me about 6 attempts)
I'm glad you found it frustrating bc I doubt I could handle a bigger version without an aspirin.

Thanks. :)

Thanks to the Ke! The jumping at start reminded me of PK wallclimbing, which was fun, and the later parts made me feel quite dizzy.

first run: http://shub-hub.com/files/demos_singleplayer/smqe08c_negke_sw.7z 
Loved It 
at first I thought you had messed with the players view angle, rather than tilted the whole map, so movement at 1st felt very strange indeed! I soon worked it out though, this is a great little concept map it was interesting to look at the architecture in a new way once you realised you could effectively walk up walls.

Maybe a bit too gimmicky for a full map but it sure would be interesting to try :) 

I wanted to participate, but too much other work, sorry. 
I Played Smqe08c_negke 
I threw up all over myself, and heaved for a few minutes after that, clutching the corners of my desk in a desperate attempt to keep myself from tearing loose from my moorings and spinning off into infinity. Once the vertigo passed, I found myself kneeling, tears streaming down my cheeks.

I barely made it into work and I've been shaking all day. I can't keep food down. I've begun to drop things, and to trip. They keep telling me I look terrible and it's all right if I just go, but I don't want to - not back to that room, not back to that screen.

I might be tempted to look again, and I can't be sure of what will happen when I do. 

very controversial level, not for everybody:). originality at cost of gameplay? did not work for me this time, srry. but good to see you trying new approaches. 
Hahahahahha 
i just played this. Neg: how many times did you have to adjust the angle of the tilt?

i couldn't make the end jump after about five goes so just hari-karied :P 
The Monsters Are Surreal 
when you gave them .angles, they actually spin around on different axes when they would normally only rotate on the vertical axis. the first time i was watching this knight pivot all over the place... felt like i was tripping. :P 
Negke=Genius 
Nice concept, I've only seen it in a couple of other games, ever.

Usually as a collapsed tunnel or an underwater area.

The lava was good - telling the player which way down was. And killing them as a further reminder - two birds with one stone.

Actually gave me a headache. 
This Map Is Evil 
It undermines everything I have ever disbelieved in. There is no Quake.

This map left me a gibbering wretch drenched in my own poop, urine and vomit, begging for change on a side walk and using up the last several minutes of my cell service to text this warning to others just before spinning off into the gray void . . .

seriously, though, wow dude. Just wow. 
Maybe That's How Escher Felt 

Ricky 
Not sure what you mean. It's all 45 degrees, or "0 0 45". 
I Fell... 
... and i can't get up!
btw: where is "up" again?
fun thing! 
Now I Know What Spiderman Feels Like 
That was intense. It really felt like trying to climb a climbing wall or something. You see a space a few feet in front and aim for it, but u don't quite know how u can get there. u just have to weave around.

Very well done. 
Amazing 
still don't know how I have managed to get through this map. You totally confused me. Amazing map. 
:) 
I guess this map was basically what I expected, still fun though. Bit dark, really. 
Bump For Ionous 

PS. 
Way to have consistent thread titles/icons Shambler. 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.