Heavy Rapid-fire: AvP Smartgun

Singleshot Accuracy: Quake2 Railgun

Incendiary: Kingpin Flamethrower

Rocket launcher: Quake 2

Throwable 1: Quake 2 Hand Grenade

Throwable 2: HL1 Snark

Novelty 1: HL2 Gravity Gun

Novelty 2: Blood voodoo doll

Heavy Weapon: Quake 1 Lightning Gun (complete with water discharge)

Ridiculously overpowered behemoth of a gun: Doom BFG9000

So what are your favourite game weapons? Not just limited to fps titles but all the games you have played.

Also, what concepts do you think would make for great weapons in a game?
To Start Things Off 
The cerebral bore from Turok on the n64. You shoot a projectile into an enemy and it bores into their skull and forcibly removes their grey matter in a vivid arc of gore, complete with drilling sounds! Very satisfying :) 

Gears of War : Lancer

I know I'm biased, but it's so damned fun. :) 
i love beam weapons <3 
Okay 
daikatana discus (?) was pretty nice.
daikatana sidewinder rocketlauncher, too (the twirling rockets one).

q3 gauntlet just rocks.

doom3 mg, quake2 mg, Kingpin tommy gun.

q2 minigun

blood2 double sawed-off sg.

best weapon ever: descent 2 gauss gun. 
Hmm 
The unreal shock rifle.

Best weapon to ever appear in a FPS hands down.

Altho yeh, the cerebral bore was hilariously overpowered. 
Hmm 
Also, sticky grenades (Halo's stand out ofc, but I'm sure they didn't invent the concept in games) for 'throwable' 
Oooh 
The stake gun from painkiller ;) I realise its just a stylised railgun, but that thing never got old! :)

Halo did have some cool weapons, I also remmeber being pretty fond of the one that shot all those purple spines into things, that then detonated if you managed to get enough of them on a target, very very satisfying :)

Willem, hehe I must say that the chainsaw attack on the lancer is quite inspired, and it is accompanied by one of the best "chainsaw ripping through flesh" sounds I have ever heard :) 

Tomb Raider (/Anniversary)'s double uzis.

The Reckoning: Ion ripper (boomerang thingy)

The weapons in Dino Crisis 2 were pretty good, I especially liked the heavy machine gun, really sounded like an MG 42 and was pretty effective against the dinos.

Malice's Trusty .44, uzi, and vert-barrel shotgun. 

Doom 1 Shotgun

Quake Grenade Launcher

Q2 Rail Gun

Q3 Plasma Gun

Unreal Flak Cannon
8-ball launcher was cool also

UT Redeemer was hilarious

Dark Messiah - all the bows - archery in that game was damned fun. Rope bow was a cool grappling-hook type utility too.

Far Cry - all the weapons were really well done. 
Few Good Ones 
The Quake Team Arena Nail Gun -- nice design, satisfying sounds

No One Lives Forever weapons were all splendid in their sound, kick design etc.

A few stand outs -- I liked using the Shepard Arms P38 9mm Pistol almost exclusively. One shot to the head per kill so I could wrack up medals and accuracy bonuses. It also made me feel like a dirty little professional hitgirl.

Braun 9mm Parabellum - had a nice feel with the kick, and it was so loud.

Hampton Carbine -- good sniper weapon -- the Lucky Strike of sniper rifles, clean and satisfying, not like that Geldmacher SVD which would reveal your locale with its loud bang, a real dirty Camel of a gun.

Sportsman EX Crossbow -- another good sniper gun. Brings the pain hardcore to the aortic artery. Baddies seemed to writhe more when struck with a bolt.

Though I hated using the AK-47 Assault Rifle because it would fuck up my accuracy percentages, the NOLF version came in a sleek
red and black design that outclasses any realism mod.

And the Super Atomic Laser Weapon, cool for the 60's low budget movie sound effects, and the phase out effect when the enemy is vaporized was good for a snort.

If you haven't played NOLF, what are your waiting for? Go!! GO! GO! 
Game Guns 
Mega Man 2 - metal blade

Metroid - ice beam

Contra - spread shot

Bionic Commando - grappling arm (does this count?)

Raiden - that twisty/bendy energy beam gun

DooM II - double-barreled shotgun

UT - redeemer, flak cannon

Q2 - grenade launcher 
Weapons 
Quake: Rocket Launcher / Super Nail Gun

Doom2: Plasma gun

Doom3: Plasma gun

UT2K: Snipper riffle

COD2: Snipper riffle, whatever it comes from

HL2: Rocket Launcher 

Quake

Rocket Launcher / Super Nail Gun + quad

Are out there any other games?

:| 
Serious Sam Cannon 
was pretty fun too. 

OK so others:

Half-Life: The machine gun with the attached grenade launcher was always fun, cross bow

Gears: Lancer, Torque Bow

UT: Redeemer, Shock Rifle, Goo Gun 
Whats The Thing In Fallout 3 
That fires 9 mini nukes? 

Doom Shotgun (in combination with grunts' health and animations). Half-Life's is nice too.

Quake Grenadelauncher (with its "sticky" grenades on slopes, I LOVE that)

Quake Rocketlauncher, because it's got the most powerful feeling. Q3's is nice too.

Q3 Railgun and Plasmagun. The gauntlet is nice too.

Deus Ex' Riot Prod (or whatever that electroshocker is called)

Jedi Knight's laser sword and mines.

In UT I only really liked the flak gun. The others felt silly (maybe in combinations with the enemy animations eg the sniper).

The weapons in Cave Story are great, I especially like the machine gun to fly! It's like rocketjumping but a vital part of the gameplay. I also love weapons you can charge, so I like the Spur.

This does not quite fit in with the rest, but the Boomerang in Zelda games (the old ones) is amazing. Also the sword that shoots swords. :>

Grimm's buttstomp is unique and feels damn powerful, heh. And I always liked jumping on enemies in Mario games (2D). 
Repeating Alot Here 
UT Flak Cannon
Rail Gun
Remake Quake Shotguns
Doom2 Chainsaw / Chaingun
Undying Scythe
Q2 Awakening Jackhammer
HL2 Ant Lion Pod
OUM / Zerstorer Riot Controller 
And 
The Painkiller 
Easy Choice 
Doom - fists of terror
Goldeneye - the mighty Klobb 
Mine Favorite Weaps 
doom/doom2 - plasma rifle/chainsaw
quake - shaft+rl+gl combo
quake2 - bfg10k :)
quake3 - rg/shaft
doom3 - chaingun+soulcube combo
thief/thief2 - blackjack/water arrow
undying - dbsg/scythe 
Forgot 
Razorwind from Turok2 
Sin 
I liked Sin's pistol. 

Melee: WoW Glaives of Azzinoth sword set
Sidearm: HL1 Revolver
Shottie1: Doom
Shottie2: Undreal flack gun
Light Rapid-fire: Quake SNG
Heavy Rapid-fire: TF2 Sasha
Singleshot Accuracy1: Quake2 Railgun (quaded)
Singleshot Accuracy2: Unreal Rifle
Incendiary: TF2 Backburner
Rocket launcher: Quake 1
Throwable 1: Quake 1 GL
Throwable 2: Unreal Tournament Green Slime
Throwable 3: TF2 Demoman's grenades
Novelty: HL2 Gravity Gun
Heavy Weapon: Quake 1 Lightning Gun (complete with water discharge)
Ridiculously overpowered behemoth of a gun: Unreal Redemeer 
Hmm 
Von, you can't use WoW weapons. They're not really different, just change of dmg.

Also, the MSA from Naxx was far better (op hemo kekeke nerfplixkthxbai l2p... Sorry). Also the fist set from ZG that turned you into Tony the Tiger.

Also, I'm going to repeat the whole U/UT shock rifle thing. I don't see how people are rating the flak cannon above it, yeh it was a good gun, but I've not seen a gun that utilises dual fire modes so well...

And on an Epic note, stop bigging up the guns from Gears2 Willem. Having actually played more than just the annoying 'shoot the driver or insta-death and spawn 5 minutes back' I'm more inclined to rate it (wasn't as set pieces as I thought and some very good 'standard' combat). Still haven't completed it tho, my copy has a acquired a deep scratch right on the loading point for level 5, so can only play the first 4 levels or it crashes :( Ironically if I'd warezed it I could just reburn the disc, but I actually bought it so Willem wouldn't cry... Damn joo ;p 
Hmm 
Damn, got distracted by ranting about scratched discs, my point was supposed to be that all the fun combat aside, the guns are fairly basic fare (the only standout imo is the aiming line for the grenades (and mebe likewise the bow)) 
Why Can't I Use Wow Weaps? 
the topic says favourite, so they were my favourite ;) big, green, heavy, mean looking, just lub them and miss them.... 
Still Adding . . . 
L4D automatic shotgun 
OH! 
I'd like to add the Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II rocket launcher with its sticky, delayed detonation rockets. Gotta love watching a terrified storm trooper run around with a smoking missile stuck up his arse. 
Quake Mod 
There are also some cool weapons in QKP mod: fireball launcher, flamethrower and proximity mines are my prefered :) 
Oooh Yeah, Quake Mod 
Somebody needs to make a Quake mod which includes every single one of the weapons mentioned in this thread.

It would be terribly unbalanced, but ohsofun. 
Hey ! 
It wouldn't be unbalanced if monsters are ported too ! As example, BGF9000 with CyberDemon / MasterMind, etc... :P 

lol, you mean, turning this into a favourite monster thread?

a couple additions, in the not-so-fps genre (hey, other people did it first)

Heretic:
Ethereal Crossbow - a great shotgun-type weapon
Dragon Claw - cool graphics, nice upgraded attack too

Heretic II:
Storm Bow, Force Blast.

Rune:
Short Sword, Broadsword, War Sword... actually just all the swords. And the BatteAxe.

another thing I've always admired is how id managed to put the Q2 railgun and the Q1 rocketlauncher in the same game, and balance it, with Q3. 

I liked the marathon rocket launcher. Yes, I am very out of touch with games yes... 
No Way 
the q3 rl is slower and has a much smaller splash-dmg radius than the quake rl.

That said, it feels a lot better than the quake one -- must be the player physics. 

I don't like the sound of the Quake RL. Feels like a glorified shotgun, which it probably is.

I also don't like that it eclipses the other weapons in effective power. Why even have other weapons then, for decoration?

I'm also increasingly pissed by Quake's nailguns. Again, a big part of that is the sound.

I would work with the Q2 engine, if it didn't have relatively sluggish movement and controls. The precision of control in Quake 1, and the whole movement, is unmatched. It just feels better to play. Not to mention the monster lineup and the artwork.

The Q2 engine can be best described as solid - you can take it and turn it into Heretic II, and it works. Plus it has basic features like transparency, rotation, inventory and going back and forth between levels (aka hub system).

I spent many hours playing Heretic II yesterday, and cursing at its sluggishness. Afterwards, I blasted through the first act of Hexen II with an assassin, and it was just 200% more fun. To return to the topic, the assassin's crossbow is pretty wicked. You can practically play it like Quake, drop into a room and open fire, and the archer knights won't even know what hit them :) Eats mana though.

I stabbed Famine to death, by using Backstabbing with Tome of Power. It started saying "Critical hit!" so I just kept doing it. I felt a little stupid for knifing the episode boss in the back though, but it was pretty cool. The Assassin levels up pretty quickly, too.

Hexen II is really fun if you know where all the stupid keys are, and ignore the mediocre level design, and just turn up the difficulty, and play it like Quake. Someone should make a cool, large SP map for that game. ^^

Especially the Tome of Power idea is brilliant, as well as the whole lot of powerups and the user friendly inventory. Shame about the level design. 
For Me 
Q2�s weapon set killed it.

Run it under the Awakening mod and you immediately think - what the fuck were they thinking? 
Ie. 
Not thinking enough. 
Good Thread Daz. 
Like it.

Gosh what weapons do I really like??

The DKT weapon that drew a pentagram in the ground and summoned a demon that tore everyone to shreds, fucking awesome.

DKT Rocket Launcher as well, spiraling rockets were sweet.

Q2 Railgun, just had the feel spot on.

Q1 Perforator, brutal, visceral, and totally to the point.

Mechwarrior 4 heavy gauss weapons, could really feel the firepower behind them.

UT Redeemer, another awesomely entertaining idea.

In fact most UT weapons were pretty cool.

Q2 DBS, pure beef.

Q1 RL, so simple, so effective, the definitive RL.

Melee, something from Severance probably... 
Hmm 
Q2 DBS, pure beef.

mebe we should replace the crate as the logo... ;p 

Even Q2's crates look better ;-)

oh noes!!! 

Assault rifle my arse. The only person I agree with is f-ing ******

Doom chainsaw
Q1 NSOE chain-lg, mjolnir, mirv, zombie gibbing sword
Q1 Zerstorer/Oum chainsaw + quad
Q1 Malice machine gun
Q3 BFG
Halflife little alien land piranhas (?)
Duke3d devastator, rocket launcher, shrink-ray, freeze gun+mighty boot
Redneck Rampage tnt/chicken crossbow, motorbike mounted machine gun
Shadow Warrior pulsing heart, nuke
GZDoom flame thrower, machine gun

Hexen2 has so many: Demoness' fireballs and lightning staff (tomed and normal), Assassin's bow, Necromancer's spellbooks. The Assassin's tomed forth weapon spawns chains from the walls, picks up the enemy and smashes them on the ground. Hexenworld even has modded weapon effects. 
Steven 
I've been thinking about making a little mod (...) where, among other things, I switch weapon 4 between the Assassin and Necromancer.

The story says the Necro comes from Thysis/Egypt, and that scarab doesn't have anything to do with assassins, but everything with Egypt.

Apart from that, we're the only ones who like Hexen 2 here :-/

Oh, except Rudl. 
LOL 
Halflife little alien land piranhas

Aaaahhh my stomach hurts, must stop laughing! 
Should Start A "FPS Worst Weapons Eva" Thread 
Starting off with the weird gribbley things from Half-Life.

And the Quake2 blaster. For starters.

Seemingly all of the weapons from STALKER..... 
Eh 
i loved the stalker weapons. especially at the beginning, when they were inprecise. made gameplay so interesting :) 
I Tended To Find Them Infuriating 
Shoot a human in the face 20 times with a shotgun, he doesn't die then kills you with a couple of shots....... :?

Not fair! There were some good community fixes for SoC though, but I've yet so see one which will fix Clear Sky. 
Snarks, You Fools 

And they were -awesome-. I loved using them in deathmatch on unsuspecting opponents. 

Shoot a human in the face 20 times with a shotgun, he doesn't die then kills you with a couple of shots....... :?

Just like Quake. Um, well, OK, it's just 6 or 7 shots for a grunt and 15 for a hell knight. 25 if your aim is really bad.

/ducks 
[ Gb 
> ... I switch weapon 4 between the Assassin and Necromancer.
> The story says the Necro comes from Thysis/Egypt ...

I know what you're saying, but this sort of plot incongruity doesn't worry me too much. But can i request auto aim for the assassin's grenades as they're just impossible to use. (could ~~almost~~ have a go at doing this myself).

Autoaim?! They work like normal hand grenades, don't they? 

Love the Knife from BF Bad Company. Nothing's more satisfying than backstabbing some prick and seeing their tags pop up on your screen.

Pyro's Flame Thrower from TF2 
Looks Like This Thread's Been Necro'd 
Well, I'll just say that the most satisfying to use FPS weapon I can think of right now is Zerstorer's Riot Controller.

Oh and for melee, the monomolecular Dragon Sword from Deus Ex. 

Mohaa sniper rifle! 
Q2/3 Railgun 
Owns your sniper rifle. 

Grenades from BF:1942 The bodies actually get some air 

I hate Q2, for me was worse game ever... didn�t play more than first or second level... 
Yeah 
Slow and crap. 
Q2 
Was a hurried game that wasn't done by the self-imposed deadline. Carmack being, Carmack wanted to release a piece of crap 'on time' instead of something polished and finished. Sad thing is id had the kind of pull the Blizzard does and could have pushed back the release to 'when it's done' like Blizzard does. 
Nonono 
the worst game evah is...
TADA
counter strike 
Hm 
I think the design theory was wrong - slow gameplay, unimaginative monsters and so on.

Basically you fight loads of humanoids. There should have been more hybridized creatures like the mdeic, gladiator and parasite.

Imagine very few human style creatures and the same speed as Q1. 
\o/ 
i am digidroid

i destroy humanoids 

inertia go destroy pussys... NOOB 
Q2 
Great game, one of my favourites ever. 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.