News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Q1SP: Unforgiven
Sorry for the delay, here is my Quake 1 single player episode, Unforgiven. Long in development (more off than on), this 3-map episode was originally started as a sequel to 2001's Rapture, although it is probably more remniscent of 2008's Soul of Evil Indian Summer. As usual, the maps are pretty difficult and feature horde combat (you are hereby WARNED!! about the last map, unf3), so skill select (in RPG's cool start map) appropriately. This episode is standalone, as it comes with an updated version of the Drake mod.

Screenshots:
http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/files/screen_shots/unf1.jpg
http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/files/screen_shots/unf2.jpg
http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/files/screen_shots/unf3.jpg

Download: (32 MB)
http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/files/single_player/maps/unforgiven.zip

Readme:
http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/files/single_player/maps/unforgivenreadme.txt

And a note about upcoming Q1SP projects: I'll be releasing a new version of "Arcanum" in the fall, with new maps, rebalanced gameplay and changes to existing maps. I am also working on "Something Wicked This Way Comes," a large level using the Unforgiven textures, based on scraps by Necros and Tyrann. Finally, I'm hoping to release a "Drake Merger" by the end of the year, including all of my Q1SP maps/episodes made in the last 15 years, divided into episodes, with the final version of the Drake mod, and a new start map and final boss arena. The only shots of any of that I have right now are of "Something Wicked This Way Comes" and those are here:
http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/files/screen_shots/1somethingwicked1.jpg
http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/files/screen_shots/1somethingwicked2.jpg
http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/files/screen_shots/1somethingwicked3.jpg
http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/files/screen_shots/1somethingwicked4.jpg
These Shots Of Something Wicked Look 
great!

cant wait to see 
Note 
I'm not at my editing setup or a copy of Quake or even the internet at the moment... thanks to negke for a LOT of last-minute testing, I hope there are no remaining issues (since I wasn't able to test myself after the last few entity tweaks). And thanks to PM who put a ton of work into having the progs/code ready on time. Sorry it wasn't quite in time for QEXPO 2011. 

thanks for this one tronyn. still downloading, but sshots are promising. looking for the new version of arcanum - hope i'll have a new pc by that time so i 'll be able to play these monster maps via darkplaces without any fps drops.
-
as for your plan to re-release your previous maps/mods again with drake mod.... that's ambitious, but there's no doubt you'll succeed. you have never let us down :-)
-
jakub 
Supplement 
downloading finished. i've just started and there's one thing i'd like to ask .... that "palm" holding one of the skill teleports seems quite familiar t ome. i'm sure i have seen it in some vip picture years ago. 
Some Unmentioned Things... 
If your Quake engine of choice is FitzQuake or Quakespasm, max_edicts MUST BE RAISED TO 2000 or higher! This is because the snow effect in unf2 raises edicts used to a number above 1000.

Impulse 17 = Music toggle
Impulse 72 = Corpse removal (disables snow too)

I just found a few minor bugs in unf3. One of the bosses is missing a spawnflag, and another is missing a sound precache. The pack is still playable, but there will be a progs update soon. 

Tronyn you and Necros are Quake GODS, if I was John Carmack your ass�s whould be mine :p.

what a talent and dedication!

will play very soon and leave the comments, thanks again :) 

So can Dry Sorrow and Sludge factory be played under this?

Also, if the new Arcanum is going to be rebalanced, maybe it will be good to have the old but vised version of the arcanum maps to download. You said it was on your computer, right Tronyn? 

Thank you Tronyn and PM for another highly enjoyable pack - a fitting finisher for this year's expo indeed.

Each of the maps felt like a different experience altogether. The first one is the most Quake-y of the three and works great as an introduction. Unfortunately, it also suffers from overpopulation. The second map is my favourite. Offering a balanced mix of exploration and action, packed with an always welcome snowy theme and fitting music, it's just like beloved Hexen sans the monsters - top-notch stuff. The last one returns to the horde combat of the first, but this time serves it in on a much bigger scale and comes out a more satisfying experience in the end. It's on par with classic Doom levels, both thematically and gameplay wise.

What's more, with a little care and ammo conservation, the whole package is beatable on skill2 without frustration. Sure, it feels like 'work' from time to time but that happens with every map out there that comes packed with 400+ monsters.

Notes
Second secret of unf2, underwater 'weapons stash' turns out to be empty? / The actual monster counts and the ones mentioned in the readme don't match.

Demos (sk2)
unf1 30m 5/5s 411/411k
unf2 31m 2/3s 321/344k
unf3 44m 4/6s 458/464k 
Re: #7 
I have not tried the pak and progs with all of Tronyn's other maps, but it should work. The precache bug in Arcanum should be gone. 
Looks Very Cool 
but pretty unplayable to me, wich settings & engine are most recommended? used fitzquake with a pretty large heapsize and higher max edicts but still very choppy 
Orbs 
Try directq or Aguirre Quake with -nomtex 
Damn 
Loving those screenshots Tronyn, really creative work, great atmosphere. Looking forward to playing it. 
So Far The 1st Map Were Done 
skill 3 , and i must say this version is much easier than an original beta was. but still great
no demo though
http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/files/screen_shots/fitz0000.jpg 
Naughty Naughty... 
stealing textures from other games is a no no. i see doom and q3 textures there man. 
Yes! 
this is going to be awesome! kind of down after qexpo ended but this will pick me right back up!
re: first three shots, you choice of skyboxes really complements the maps.
re: something wicked, i am amazed with what you turned those few random bits into!

pretty difficult and feature horde combat
hope the ice crossbow is in there! :P

damn. i'm all pumped to play this but it's wayyy too late tonight. zzzz 
This Is What I Meant By Rushing The Release 
Of all things I mentioned at least the shitload of items that fall out in unf2 should have been fixed. Re: empty secret and all.

Admittedly, I probably took too long to respond considering you were about to leave again so quickly.

A Tronyn TC sounds great. But it'll be a lot of work. 
"It'll Be A Lot Of Work" 
For both you AND the players. 
Wow.. This Look Really 
..nice!
at last some screenshots with proper brightness :)

I'll warm up my glorious PentiumII for all this
goodness 
Runs 
With directq it kinda works for me, only from time to time i get stuck in the floor and lots of monsters get gibbed spontaniously (only fix i found for it is to restart directq)

due to this i forgot to put skill back to 0 on unf2 wich is done on normal and since i wasnt using timers cba to smoothen it out or add some boosts between GK and SK-door.
quite entertaining demos nontheless due to the nature of the maps.

http://members.upc.nl/verorber/unf1_orbs.dz 
Lol 
improved unf1, but that one is skill 1 now to:) 

This feels like someone took everything anyone ever thought worth knowing about game design, and then ignored it. It is as if the 90s never stopped. Very nice settings. very interesting to play on God difficulty. Monster counter showed like 1200 kills in the first map? Do the monsters ever stop spawning?

Jaw-dropping in many ways.

It's as if I was back in the 90s playing Doom2 while being supremely drunk. It was interesting to revisit that state.

18/20... LSD in game form. Which is a good thing in this world.

But sriously. Crazy shit. 

I'm not a big fan of huge open levels. I like indoors, and outdoors if it's sectioned off. But not just one huge open area. Now the second level was great. Great design, I loved seeing the snow textures and the castle with moat. This was the best level in the pack for me, as it was much more closed off.

It's the third level that was too open. It felt like one huge arena that just wouldn't come to an end. It took 50mins for me to complete level 3, and when you're not really presenting with anything new throughout, apart from the tower climb which was pretty bland, you get sick of it. At the beginning it felt like monsters are just thrown everywhere randomly and I just started running like hell throughout the whole level to get as much in-fighting as possible, then slowly picked my way through them all. The bosses were all good... dragons were fun and deadly, Chthon took too much damage before dying, the Cyberdemon type guy got stuck on stonehenge so was dead easy. The problem is, I'd saved a couple MH's, RA's, almost all the powerups including the quad and full cells in order to go take out the last 2 bosses. As such, they were both dead in 10secs... I didn't even see what their attacks were. So yeah, while it looked fantastic, this level went on too long. I liked the low gravity and flying around though, that was cool.

And to level 1, this was good if you remove the 180 odd monsters surrounding the castle that starts off the pack. This is horde combat at it's ugliest. A bunch of crappy weapons and a quad that's pointless when you have very few nails and can only use the SSG. I tried a few times to make the quad work, but in the end I did the same as above; sprinted around the castle to get in-fighting then slowly picked them off, which wasn't that fun. Things picked up once I got inside the castle, it all looked really cool and the dragons were a blast.

I liked the music too - it was subtle but nice, instead of some thrashing fucking metal.

So yeah pretty good level pack. I did enjoy Arcanum more as there were less huge open areas with horde combat. In fact SOE and Indian Summer I liked more as well. Still a great level set though. 
Pics Look Rad 
downloading and hopefully will play on weekend. 
Disagree With Kona 
USeless quad? I just fot up to 1000 kills on skill 3 when the quad ran out. Little nails? there's 180 in the bottom already more at ssg, more at 2nd YA and so on. You start of with SG NG chainsaw and bow before you even get to the quad, and you can reach SSG, alternative grenade launcher and lightning gun or grenade launcher.
You describe it took you 50 minutes to clear a level to have left all goodies for the end fight only so you can whine about the level being to long and the bossfight to easy, doh. Lets whine about your strategy.
But maybe we should continue this when your period is over 
Where's The Edit Button 
"got up to 100 kills" 
Orbs, Calm Down. 

Enjoyable. 
Much more than Arcanum for me. It was pretty fun on skill 0 (except when I had to cheat for ammo at some places). Liked how ridiculously unapologetic the first map was with just tossing a bunch of pickups at the player in map 1. The final map feels like a 1996-created Doom 3 from an alternate universe. The gravity change made sense but I'd tone it down somewhat myself.

The Sidewinder felt too weak. Was there a regular RL as a secret somewhere? 
Orb? 
so the final level has 400 monsters, a single quad and 5 bosses. Usually Tronyn's boss fights are insanely hard. So why would I grab the quad at the start of the level to take out the 200 or so weaker enemies knowing that there's tougher to come? My strategy of leaving the quad for later was fine. As for the other stuff, I still had 3 MH's left over, 2 RA's and the stuff at the top of the tower. I'm not even sure what half of it does, but I didn't need it and never even went back for it.

For the first level... yeah I got the alternate GL and it's 5 grenades. That didn't do much with the quad. Nor does a bow & arrow or ssg. The only good weapon to use with the quad was a ng, but there was only 100-150 nails at that point. The problem I had is that the few times I replayed the start I grabbed the quad before heading up. What would make it better is heading up, getting all the ammo and weapons and then returning for the quad. But tbh, that's not good item placement.

Anyway, those are the only faults I had with the levels. Just because someone has faults doesn't mean they're having a period. And who the hell are you anyway? 
Sidewinder 
The sidewinder was made purposefully weak, to be about par with the nailgun, for two reasons. One, Tronyn thinks the rocket launcher is generally overpowered, and in levels comparable to Quake's stock levels, I would agree. Two, since soldiers drop their weapons when killed, I do not want rocket grunts and the like to drop rocket launchers, and grenade launchers would be inappropriate. Thus, the sidewinder was made as an alternative to the rocket launcher. 
Re: #28 
[Kona] did what I would have done. That is, save the quad for the final bosses. 
Nice Romp. 
Liked it better than Arcanum.

But, somehow, you feel all that fantastic spaces are put to waste with all the relentless run 'n gun interspersed by the episodic 2 buttons to push to proceed.

See Necros latest effort. Outrageous looks paired with very well thought out gameplay and progression. A gem.

With a little bit more work on gameplay and situation setup, Tronyn's maps could achieve levels of epicness second only to his brushwork awesomeness.

Imho, these three would have been fantastic bookend pieces for a full episode, and their epic scope would get enhanced by comparison to smaller maps, the way they're presented, one after another, kinda loses the effect. A true pity.

Low grav was quite fun, btw, and, on skill 1, I've been able to get like 150 kills without shooting a shell... Dunno if that's good or bad.

Gotta test Nightmare to see if fun's the same... :D

A good depressurizer after a hard day's work... Thanks, Tronyn. 
And [Kona]... 
...Cyberdemon boss?

Have you never played Scourge of Armagon? If so, you're missing out!!! 
A Few More Things 
-any remaining problems are not negke's fault, since he pointed out a ton of stuff didn't get to or couldn't do since in time since it would have required another progs, or even worse another map compile (unf3 is 500+ hours vistime - thanks zwiffle! lol). for the "Drake Merger," _everything_ will be meticulously rebalanced, since I'll have a long time to do it. For this release, it was either around QEXPO, or wait another month, which I figured would piss people off (including me) more.

as for the gameplay, I understand the issues, the first map probably should have been more subtle (deleting the hordes outside the fort is a good idea), to build up to the ridiculous levels of the last map, as opposed to starting out that way. After the Drake Merger, when I start building Q1SP's again from scratch, I'm going to try something entirely different, not horde combat, and probably not outdoors either. 
Fingers Crossed 
when I start building Q1SP's again from scratch, I'm going to try something entirely different, not horde combat, and probably not outdoors either.

Not dissing 10+ years of your work, but I'm looking forward to that. 
Just Played The First Map 
as a warning, if you are using quakespasm, you must use a higher -zone size or the game will crash when you go through the end portal. use -zone 2048 to be safe.
this is a bug in quakespasm and not the mod. quakespasm uses the zone memory in a non-standard way, storing extra stuff in there and causing it to require more space.

as for the first map itself, i loved it! i single handedly took on an entire fucking army!!! :D
quadded up on NG first, then kept moving around, sometimes getting chainsaw action in, and LG on big groups where i could just slice the beam right through them!
i'll upload demos when i finish the pack. 
Kona: 
You're wrong about the amount of nails, have a nother look, or maybe another route ? And quite often when quaded sg > ssg especialy vs small critters since its more accurate at distance and a higher firerate. The bow is actualy pretty decent when quaded but i had to get used to it due to its limited range and the way it builds up power. But i had try's on my run i woudl get the quadgrenadejump up to the tower but miss the trigger wich spawns the dragons, but found out i could quad-quadbow-jump to it :)

Safing a quad for the last boss kinda makes sense i agree, and its a shame the boss doesnt start of shielded so it can do his thing and be a serious challenge.
But having said that the real issue is monster infighting imo and im always amazed the modders leave that unchanged when trying to create these epic levels. Even though most runners love this.
But my point actualy was, you cant expect a mapper to make a map wich nescesarily fits your style of play and go on a rampage about it. I could point out many maps wich would suck for speedrunning but imo i would only make myself silly:) SO i your case i would have given the map another go used the quad on other stuff (maybe on the chton since you said he had lots of hp) and try the last boss without quad but making use of the stuff on the roof (i didnt completly get what the shotgun optimiser does either) and try to finish the map in a decent time, and preferably record a demo worth watching! 
Whoa, Orbs. Cool It? 
What's up with you? 
The "?" Was Meant To Be A "!" 
...about time we got an EDIT function here... 
Optimizer 
Speeds up shotguns' firing rate. With it, double shotgun DPS is close to super nailgun DPS. I decided to add a shotgun upgrade item instead of another shotgun variant, such as Nehahra's auto shotgun, for levels or sections where anything less than 150 DPS is too weak. 
Woot (haven't Heard That In A While) 
this was great! i dunno, i guess i'm still a sucker for horde combat, but this makes me want to do a horde map!

starts off with a bang with the crazy battle against the entire garrison, then the snow covered castle high up in the mountains and then that crazy hell world with armies of demons! great variety and the third map gives you an AWESOME view from the top of the tower!

http://necros.slipgateconstruct.com/temp/ne_unf_demos.7z (26mb) i can upload a .zip if you need.
warning: unzipped, these demos total 764mb!

i had a blast playing all of these! never really got lost or anything. was always able to figure out where to go. i think the second map was my favourite, with the first, then third. third map was a little heavy on sniping monsters but flying boost were so much fun!
i loved that the super crossbow had a slowing effect on bosses instead of just insta killing them.
i think i would have preferred if the crossbow only slowed the minotaurs and dragons too instead of killing them outright. felt too easy when i used it on them. i'd really like to see more 'debuff' weapons in the future. slowing effects (like maybe so fiends and tarbabies can't jump), stuns, etc... makes it a little tactical. i'd swap to crossbow to slow down the boss, then swap back to other weapons. makes it so you can take on powerful bosses with just a SSG if you're smart about it.

also, i think map 3 could have used a regular RL too, btw. would have helped for those vores but might have made it too easy.
mirv was fun though! ^_^

first map: died once before i figured out what to do. basically keep moving so you can get enough supplies. quadded up NG for the start then chainsaw those weak archers, nab up the stronger weapons to complete the destruction. those rocks near the entry path could be clipped though. i got stuck on them.

second map: didn't die, although i thought i was going to a few times. was a big surprise when i popped up next to the GK. i didn't realize it was a big loop. very cool for interconnectivity like that.

third map: died twice to armagon, both times because i was dumb. :P
first time i tried to take him on while flying. he swatted me out of the sky easily, of course. second time, i just got stuck in a corner......
the last boss went down fast though. i was kind of sad, but at the same time, i nearly died, so it's probably a good thing i killed him when i did.

thanks so much for this great pack! it was a riot to play and now i have map 3's music stuck in my head. :P 
Jay For Quakespasm 
finally can run it without any problems:)

Nightmare 100% on unf1 in 10:13, had to look around for a couple but thats no wonder with 400+ monsters 

Silent: i tought ii cooled down quite a bit in my 2nd post? The first i was a bit anoyed and maybe a bit over the top reaction , just got annoyed to see someone who put in so much work getting dissed, mainly by personal preferences being stated as facts.
Necors: debuffing weapons would be awesome: some other options: a weapon wich could temporarily remove the shields of mobs like the Unf3 boss, affect the targets aim, dispelling/ or preventing of casting minions 

I thought the final boss was quite a bitch. The first stage of the battle was okay, but the second stage had me die all the time. The shots were so fast and powerful. I didn't use the quad for it though.

unf3 is the kind of level that many Doom players would enjoy most ("slaughter map"). 

i didn't use the quad for it either.
it was over so fast, i don't remember exactly what happened...

it started off with the guy. i shot him once with the cross bow then blasted him 3 or 4 times with the mirv with all 5 rockets. then he turned into(?) the dragon.
i swapped back to xbow, shot it once, then emptied my cells, again with the xbow, shot my remaining nails (with another xbow in between nails) and then one more xbow shot + a few blasts of the ssg. i think that's what happened anyway. o.0 i think i ended with like 50hp and no armor. 
On Which Skill? 
Does he behave differently on lower skills, different health? I played on skill 2. Maybe I was just too lame and my complaint about it unjustified.. 

Ultimately though, it doesn't matter that much if the last 2 bosses weren't that hard (although it could have been because I had quad), because the entire level is like one huge finale.

I didn't like the sidewinder but the more powerful SSG was awesome. It makes mince meat out of pretty much everyone. I liked the regen health in the first map too, although I never found another one in the other maps (i'm useless at finding secrets).

Re cyberdemon type guy... oh yes it is Armagon! :D Haven't played SOA in years.

Also spawning into map3 and seeing that huge tower in the distance was really epic! You don't get many scenes like that in Quake. And being up in the tower was awesome as well.

I really liked the Minotaurs as well. They were easily to strafe one at a time, but a few at once was good. They fit the Quake world quite well and look scary. 
Map 2 Was Awesome 
fantastic atmosphere, good combat. Plenty of downtime to enjoy the scenery too

Maps 1 and 3 were a bit meh IMHO. The combat is relentless and I found them a bit boring because of that. The fortress in map 1 looks good but need more downtime in combat to be impressed by the visuals. 

Unforgiven should be on quaddicted. If nothing else, it should replace the old Drake because of the model mixed up bug. Bugged stuff shouldn't be on quaddicted. 
Demo 
map unf1
http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/files/demos/unf1_spy3.rar

Map 2 Was Awesome i agree , the map2 is highlight of the pak 
Have To Agree With Nitin 
regarding the maps overall. Not your best pack so far, though still very very impressive. Hard to top what you pulled off in Arcanum... 
WOW 
Just... WOW... best quake SP I have played in a LONG time. Visceral quake combined with doom style level structure and atmosphere... perfection. Visually beautiful too. Thank you. 

WOW Aardappel lives and comment!

:)

already got two demos tronyn ;) will play last map soon and upload demos! 
Aard 
if you think this is great you really ought to play Arcanum - many were offput by the first level in that pack (though I like it) and it just gets exponentially better as it goes on. 

Indeed, what Drew said. The last couple levels in Arcanum are insane. 

i'm sort of torn between which, arcanum or unforgiven, i like more.

unforgiven icy castle map vs arcanum library map would be a hard choice for me, for example. 
Errr. 
Map 1 - cool, very good in it's horde style.

Map 2 - very cool, solid not really hordey gameplay, great theme with fog and snow.

Both easy on Skill 1 so far. I'm liking them. The new grunts / enforcers still bore me. The imp things are cool tho. 

i love that the archers go down easily. made mowing them down in map one VERY satisfying. also made chainsaw viable and hilarious. 

Just brilliant. Great job. Absolutely enjoyed playing it. 

As your recent maps releases...less impossible and fucking awesome to play had a great time... will have to go play 3� map again :p I'm realy pissed! :)

all fisrt demos...only died on 3� rd map because fall iunto the lava :(

64 mb of demos if you are up to see then :)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ONLNIQYC 

thanks god I keep the quad to the blue huge dragon... was peace of cake with the big rocket lunch 
Finally A Chance To Comment 
I played this when it was released, but kept putting off writing a comment, one of my bad habits.

Unf2 is the best map in this pack, no question. The theme, gameplay, architecture and interconnectivity are incredible.

The other two maps, unf1 and unf3 are good as well, but I'm not big on horde maps, which is what these are. Thats not to say those maps aren't good in their own ways, its just unf2 really makes this pack worth the playthrough.

Another excellent pack by Tronyn. 
-ha 
Thanks for getting it all together guys. Great blast. The maps all had strong individual themes (though i didnt care for unf3intro. Wtf!?!)

The bosses, weapons and exploration in unf3 were great. Quite enjoyed wandering around with that oversized Mirv, cleaning up those high-up sniper squads. And those towers are amazing.

... use -zone 2048 to be safe
Necros, i actually played through the thing without a zone bump, for no crashes, so not sure about this one ? I use -heapsize 128000 +max_edicts 2000, - C2Quad/2Gig. 

the -zone thing is for quakespasm. there's some kind of atypical storage going on in the -zone memory (http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=3390 inside3d guys understood it better) that, when you have a larger progs with more variables, can clog it up so you need to allocate more.
indeed, the standard -zone size for FQ and such is supposed to be 256k but quakespasm already has a higher default (384).

i think the drake mod is probably around the point where it will sometimes trip over the limit and sometimes not, depending on the order of things you do (or don't do) while playing.
originally with my mod, it was crashing inconsistently like that as well. then i added more stuff and it began reliably crashing so there's a point where it will just completely stop working without allocating extra memory. 
Ugh 
..really Nice 
from what I see in screens;
when my Pentium2 will be in good state again I'll surely play this Unforgiven ! 

Maybe a little late to the party, but just finished playing this on all skill levels (well okay, not including nightmare haha, but may get around to doing that in the future)
Being a fan of Soul of Evil Indian Summer and a Roman Wilderness of Pain, it's no surprise this was up my alley too.
I know some people don't really dig that open spaced, hordes of enemy type thing that the Dark Tower presents to the player, but I love how it forces you to really think and come up with tactics and keep trying new things until something works.
At some points I was actually laughing because some of the situations I had managed to create were so ridiculous.
Sure, sometimes frustrating, but ultimately, a total bag of fun which more than makes up for any frustrations I may have had.

Look forward to what else you have in store for us in the future, necros! 
Um 
These maps were made by tronyn, not necros. 
Hm 
yeah, i had nothing at all to do with this pack nor SoE or Roman Wilderness of Pain.

Those are pure Tronyn maps using PM's Drake mod. 

Lmao I must have been stupidly tired when I posted that, wow, my bad.
So that would be thanks to Tronyn for this map pack, not Necros haha.
Yes, the fact Tronyn made this pack explains the horde battles.
This damn place needs an edit function. 
Thanks For Nothing, Necros. 

Tronyn, are you going to remake your original SOE episode with Drake? 
Well 
All of my previous Q1SP episodes/maps will be linked in a new start map with a new end/boss map, in a giant mod with the final version of Drake. Lots of the older maps should be revised in terms of entities/gameplay to use new Drake stuff, though architecture will remain the same since I don't have the sources anymore. Should be out in the winter sometime, say February maybe, if all goes well. 

After I kill the final boss wtf do I do next? Nothing happens and there's no obvious way to go on. 

on the top floor of the tower, right by the elevator that leads to the top, there's a door. through the door is the exit portal. 

Found it, thanks. A nice pack, have to say only the second map reminded me of Rapture and this was by far my favorite of the 3.
On the final map there is a building with some crates in it which looked odd, intersecting and defying gravity. There was a also a hidden hole in the middle of the crates only accessible by jumping, which is just begging to be made into a secret. 
Heh 
lol, it's true, negke found that in testing. I'll make it a secret in the revised version of Unforgiven for the Merger ;) 

Also, when's the new version the arcanum coming? It is also possible for you to release the old but vised arcanum maps? 
New Arcanum 
aiming for Christmas. There will be new maps and monsters. Should be worth the wait! 
Good Luck 
do you have a working .fgd? you still use WC right? 

So should I play NSOE and ARWOP now? or wait for the new version?

Also, if there is going to be gameplay changes, then you should release the old but vised maps (the unvised maps were a mistake, right?) 
Err Yeah WC 
well, if I were you I'd wait to play the final Drake/Tronyn Merger, but if you need a Q1SP fix, both nsoe (get nsoe2.zip with the rebalanced gameplay and extra map) and ARWOP are totally finished as-is, and neither will change much for the Merger, except the boss fight in ARWOP will be toned down because it is too hard.

PS full Drake devkit/documentation/fgd etc will be released alongside the Merger. 
Merger 
Make it negke-worthy!!! 
Ok 
thanks 
Tactics For ARWOP Final Boss Fight.. 
Teleporting dude: find a confined space without any corpses around. Apply LG/SNG/SSG repeatedly every time he teleports around behind you (helps to be close by). If you are quick, he usually teleports before launching too many damaging attacks.

Final arena (cheap method): Use grapple to get to the wide semi circular walkway between the outer arena walls and the sky box. Use ruby wand to deal with any scrags or imps that fly outside. Then use the grapple to get to the ledges behind the tall pillars, and you should be able to find plenty of places from which to snipe the cyberdemon. After that it's a simple clean up job. 

yhe1 go play coven of ebony or the phantasmal garrison if you need a quake fix :D 

Also, what about Nightjourney? Any chance for a final map for that? 
So Now I Have Finally Reason To Look Forward Christmas 
hi tronyn,
-
everytime i read a new note about your big mod compilation i'm more and more impressed. you are a mapping machine. i've been playing your mods for a very long time, basically ever since i started to play q1 mods, and your never let me down. you, [kona] and necros are my childhood heroes :-).
-
jakub 
Heh 
Re: Yhe1 on Night Journey
If Daz (or someone else) wants to help then yeah, but making another entire map from only a few scraps would significantly delay the project.

Re: Jakub
I'm glad to hear that! The funny thing is most of my new maps were actually designed, or at least were mostly done architecturally, at the same time as Masque of the Red Death, but it's taken me like 5 years to turn all this crap into some semi-servicable episodes. The only totally new stuff is my upcoming scraps-based map, and of course the Merger finale map.

Re: Negke
I'm going to be demanding a lot of your time, so you can put your negke-seal-of-approval, once I get the first test version of the Merger ready. 
Heh 
like 5 years ago I thought it would be too much work to finish the disorganized, unfinished, bug-ridden content which became SoE Indian Summer, ARWOP, Arcanum and Unforgiven, and I'd just release Masque and end it on a high note. Needless to say I'm glad I persisted. The community made it a lot easier to release big maps too (engines/tools/etc), so that really helped. 

well, i'm sure as fuck glad you decided to finish them! :D 
Awesome 
glad to know that. I'm looking forward to the chance to do something totally different in terms of map design style, once the final project is done. I also gotta say, PM has got to be recognized as one of the most hardcore SP modders there is. He always assumes that people with a post 84 like view - that is, exploit every possibility of the physics and map and items - is the default! oh man. 

yeah, and you're a hardcore mapper too, which makes it double hardcore. :P
but i didn't think your last maps (unforgiven) were as hardcore as previous stuff and i was able to beat them without having to exploit anything which i consider to be the right balance as far as that's concerned. mind you, i did play on easy. :P
i'd actually like to see another masque type map (built into a huge cliff, not necessarily the textures). that one is still one of my favourites. 
Lol 
I will paste the URL to this poste into my next email to PM, and he will reprogram the AI ;)

one idea which might be cool and piranesi style would be to make a masque style map, but then delete all the mountains/rockwork. who knows what'll happen. for now it's all finishing what there is. starting something TOTALLY new is very exciting but it won't happen until I get the merger out. I am happy to say persistence is my #1 virtue. 
Plus 
I think people will be very interested to see a combination Tyrann/Necros map, with each of your signatures very legible on certain sections =) 
Thanks Tronyn 
your maps have contributed a lot to my replaying of quake over the years. 

i'm kind of nervous about that seeing as that was really old necros style, which was maybe not so good. hopefully you can beautify it a bit. :P

and yeah, i agree about new vs finishing new stuff. i'm sure negke would say i should adopt your attitude. :P 
Uh 
finishing old stuff. :P 
Cant Find My Post 
basically who did which map on nightjourney ,,, please ;) 
I Think Im Gonna 
revive the drunk_hth thread 
Finally Played It! 
And it was great! 
UNF3 Vid 
Re: #84 
It is okay if the teleporting wizard is not very challenging. If he was, it would make what comes after him even more annoying.

As for the exploit, there are ways to patch it. One idea among several includes a technique used since early '80s arcade games: spawn in the Baiters/Demonic Spiders after a delay (of game). In this case, an unkillable ghost that goes away only when the level is done. 
Uh 
I thought the wizard was pretty damn challenging. 
Video Of Map 1 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwqGneCX2bg

that's some tense shit! :) 
Good Map 2 
An example of what works in Quake and what doesnt.
Pretty much what #22 by [Kona] said. 

Was the source for Marcher and Bastion ever released. Marcher with the Drake mod would be awesome. 
Well 
I don't know that the source was released, I'd guess not since I feel like if it was I'd know about it, but Drake already has the imps and the shufflers. Maybe one day.

I also have to say, that in terms of best and most epic design in a single bsp, I think we can all agree now that Marcher is it.

PS I have to say, I won't have anything new coming out the rest of this year... the Tyrann/Necros scrapmap has become too much of a handful, and Arcanum2 will be a while as well. That said hopefully these releases will be epic when they do arrive. 

Well there's only 30 days of the year left, so that's not a biggy 
Hordes Of Gibs 
Just got round to playing this, loving it. Read the criticism about quad in first level. Me personally I saw it and I thought well I'll leave that there in case it gets tough I can come back for it, then I saw the horde at beginning and thought "fuck it, can't let that opportunity slip by" and went and got the quad and generally quad spazzed out in the thick of them with chainsaw and whatever and a few nails, much glee resulted.

Its how you play it too, horde combat is not for thinking, starting infighting and then picking off. That would be like sipping teppid beer out of a wine glass. You wanna DIG IN AND BATHE IN THE GLORIOUS FOUNTAIN OF GIBS!!! :D

So yeah, loving it.

Any other horde insanity levels to recommend btw ? Done Marchers Fortress of course, that was a treat :) 
Killes 
try Masque of red Death, or any other of tronyn's more recent releases :) 

and the sludge factory: http://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=60513
also by tronyn. 
Wow Oh WOW! 
This is just amazing, Tronyn+PM this has got to be your best work yet. The architecture is breathtaking, especially map 2. I love the details, the above door designs, the support beams, broken floors, just amazing!

Map 1 has such an epic feel to it and the shape of the outer wall is very original. The game play is a bit crazy at times, but it is horde style after all. I am bit confused why you have to jump down to that tiny bridge to get into the complex, seems weird. Did you make the skill levels any different? Easy skill level actually felt right to me. I Did not see any mobs patrolling much, just standing around in clumps waiting to be shot.

The first time you see the high up bridge in map 2 is awesome, fantastic view point. Especially when you get to the bridge and see it is curved and organic looking. The combat on map 2 feels more original quake (which I prefer) and the pacing was very good. I especially liked how the place weaved up and down and around on itself several times. I had several moments of 'Oh I was down there before'. I was surprised how good the textures were, they really fitted the architecture much better than in your previous maps. The 1v1 fights with the various dragons actually felt epic. The dragon fight in map 1 lost its impact because there was so many. Having one really tough dragon to fight feels more boss like and something I would expect from a dragon.

As usual I died a lot, but it never felt cheap or unfair, it was always my own fault (which is how it should be). Looking forward to map 3! 
Cool 
great to hear you guys like it. Map 1 is undeniably a bit much especially at the start. Although Map 3 is possibly worse, I think map 3 is the most fun horde map I've ever made, it's just such doom-like chaos and the low-gravity and GL usage I find really fun.
I thought I got the 'sense of place' down most effectively in Map 2. It went through lots of revisions, the original was one big open area like Masque kind of (vising was impossible at the time, these maps were designed around the same time as Masque in 2005), I slowly chopped it up and fixed it, and put the snow theme near the end, which I think really helped the atmosphere. 
Tronyn, Thank You Very Much. Drake Source Code. 
It's a very beautiful mod for Quake, especially on the first map! Both Heretic, Hexen, Serious Sam and Quake - in one package! Yes, I played Heretic, Doom and Hexen :) The latest drake beta quakec source code seems to support Unforgiven. 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.