News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
First of all, really amazed noone has made a thread for this yet. Second, seeing as how the game is about to be released out here in EST-land (about, as in another hour and a half, hence my spamming in here instead of playing), thought I'd get things started. Seeing as how just about everyone in here will be playing it eventually, I'm sure this thread will be of much use. At least 75% sure, anyways.
I'm Waiting Impatiently 
...for it to unlock on Steam. From what I've been reading, there are a variety of minor (crappy port) issues on PC. Just in case it helps, this info has been posted on another forum:

How do I improve the shitty UI?

1. Options -> Gameplay
2. Untick gamepad support

How do I fix the crash to desktop?

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Sound
2. In the Playback tab, right click on Speakers (or whatever has a green tick next to it), then click Properties
3. In the advanced tab on this new window, select 24 bit, 44100Hz (Studio Quality) in the drop down menu

How do I fix some sound issues, such as hearing static during NPC dialogue?

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Sound
2. In the Playback tab, right click on Speakers (or whatever has a green tick next to it), then click Properties
3. In the advanced tab on this new window, select 24 bit, 44100Hz (Studio Quality) in the drop down menu

How do I disable the smooth mouse settings?

1. Go to your Steam Directory -> steamapps -> common -> skyrim -> Skyrim
2. Create a backup of the SkyrimPrefs.ini file
3. Open the file, then scroll down to where it says [Controls] and find bMouseAcceleration=1
4. Change to bMouseAcceleration=0
5. Save, exit, and play

How do I fix the vsync ("laggy mouse") problem?

1. Go to your Steam Directory -> steamapps -> common -> skyrim -> Skyrim
2. Create a backup of the SkyrimPrefs.ini file
3. Open the file, then scroll down to where it says [Display]
4. Add to the bottom of the section iPresentInterval=0
5. Save, exit, and play

How do I change the FOV?

1. Go to your My Documents -> My Games -> Skyrim -> skyrim
2. Create a backup of the skyrim.ini file
3. Open the file, then scroll down to where it says [General]
4. At the bottom of this section, add fdefaultfov=XX (where XX is the FOV value you want to change to)
5. Save, exit, and play

Also, fuck this game is pretty:
http://i.imgur.com/UEBe9.jpg 
Nice Tips, You 
May have to perform some of those maneuvers here in a bit. Right now the vodka is hitting and I am right for some galumphing across frigid plains. 
Wow 
that list ticks all the boxes for shitty pc port :(

I'll pick it up in a sale :P 
If It's Any Comfort/encouragement 
...the game is supposed to be fantastic otherwise.

Decrypting now... 
Running In Ultra Quality 
Without a hitch, but I can't seem to drop anything. The R key is not jivving with me at the moment. 
Damn 
imagine how awesome it could look with megatexture's uniqueness. 
Awesome 
I just played for about an hour. My only gripe is, yeah, the UI is horseshit. Admittedly I have a very weird FPS config, but there's no excuse for prompts just being completely fucking wrong and having to play "guess the right key" until you get things sorted out.

biff, you might have to do what I did and just go through the entire goddamn keyboard to finally figure out how to drop things (or, in my case, equip them). I was eventually able to do/find everything. I can't seem to find a plaintext control config file anywhere, which sucks donkey balls.

That annoyance aside, I'm loving it. There are a lot of little things I like (e.g. you can jump while crouched/sneaking and not lose the sneaking status), and it seem like they're doing a much better job than Oblivion in basic atmosphere and really setting the mood. Of course snowy wastes as opposed to generic-ish high fantasy helps that a bit.

Also it took me about an hour from the game opening to leaving the cave. Granted, part of that was playing the mystery control game, but the leaked footage had the guy covering the same ground in about 20 minutes, so...yeah. I tend to check every dark corner (and I found a lot of minor extra stuff, which is cool). 
Apparently 
The Q key is doing what the R is supposed to, and yeah -- cannot find a file to fix the matter. No biggie, but still irritating. And yeah again, having a blast otherwise. 
Re: #3 
PC Port.
I understand this, but I don't agree with it.
Like take a console game for fools and try to sell it to us, yes nice one. A "PC-Port"; to PORT a GAME - TOO - the PC. to port it TO the PC. That's instersteing. Okay I'll calm down. 
to port it to PC so we can pretend that we have only A B C D buttons. 
Protip 
Hahah 

Lololololo 

i'm laughing.... but i'm also face-palming HARD. my god. 
Okay gonna order game now. 
Great Game So Far 
a bit confusing though

cannot bind a magic to left hand and weapon to right hand, and how to use perks i got one remained 

and is there some way to disable headbobbing while running/sprinting , its very annoying 'feature' 
@spy 
To bind, click right- or left-attack on the item or magic (in inventory or magic list). You can also "favorite" something in those lists, and then assign it to a hotkey through the "favorites" menu (default F). It's a little confusing, but works fairly well once you figure it out (and once you figure out the right keys, if you've changed bindings).

To use perks, open up level-up/skills menu, pick the skill tree, then the desired perk. 
Ini Tweaks 
Any tips for good visual improvements (especially LOD)? 

Negke 
Untested:

http://donotargue.com/cfg-makers/skyrim/

There's also an actual utility if you look for it...... 
M-Gah. 
I prefer to try that stuff out individually and see what happens, rather than do it all at once and wonder what went wrong... 
@spy 
sorry, I mistyped--to bind to right or left hand, you need to use right or left attack in the favorites list after adding the weapon or spell to that list.

The only remaining problem I'm having is that it doesn't appear to be possible to re-equip duel weapons via the hotkey system after switching to a spell or spells. If you switch to something two-handed, like a bow, you can just un-toggle the bow via the hotkey and it will switch back to whatever was equipped previously, but if you switch to a spell, then try to untoggle, it thinks you want that spell in both hands, and you have to actually re-open the favorites menu to force duel-wield back.

I feel for the poor UI guy who was told to jam a hotkey system in the PC port the day before code lock or whatever. :( 
Also 
What's a bit confusing at first is that L and R in the menu refer to the left and the right hand, not the mouse buttons which are switched (=left mouse button activates right hand spell). 

Are there any good one-handed weapons by the way? I'd love to have a free hand for spells, but the two-handed weapons are just so much more powerful. 
I Got It. 
I'm an ugly orc focusing on H2H weapons and offensive magic.

...and I'm that in Skyrim too.

So far I managed to get the whole of Riverwood to attack me by killing one chicken, saw a fox running underwater, and managed to take (not steal) most of the trader's goods and sell them back to him. On a grumpier note, I also managed to buy steel armour for 870 gold and then accidentally sell it back for about 20p. 
Okay. 
So I earnt enough gold to buy steel armour. Then I visited that Jarl dick and he rewarded me with some steel armour. Twat. At least the bought stuff looks cooler. 

i've kind of noticed this problem with rpgs... like they're trying to satisfy both types of players-- those who only want to get rewards through quests and those who want to collect money to buy the best items.
there should be like a button at the start so you can select what type of reward system you want. :P 
Or... 
Just give the player a choice of rewards, one of them being cash. So if the offered item(s) are useless to a player, they can still get something good. 
There's An Intersting Conflict There 
"Unlocking" and "Earn enough money/xp/etc." don't fit well into the same system

A nice example is the NFS underground game(s). You can never buy anything interesting with all your money, because it needs to be unlocked through races that earn you even more money... 

Its to motivate (or force even) the players progress advancing the "missions", instead of grinding the easy stuff accumulating. 
Skyrim Water 
looks really amazing. Best bethesda water fo sho. 
Great Game. 
<Hambler> yes
<Hambler> don't play skyrim
<Hambler> its the most generic and pointless bag of shit i've seen
<Hambler> just about the only redeeming feature is the dragons are kinda impressive, but then you have to kill them rather than befriend them and lead a massive dragon army to fuck the shit out of all the tedious human twats
<Hambler> i do like it
<Hambler> and it's a good game
<Hambler> but also shit at the same time
<Hambler> it's the definitive fantasy RPG etc etc.....and all that entails
<Hambler> if i hadn't played gothic 3 and guild wars i might be impressed with it 
I'm not sure if I'm watching the beginnings of a schizophrenic meltdown or listening in to an abusive relationship between Shambler and games.

I ONLY HIT YOU BECAUSE I LOVE YOU SO FUCKING MUCH 
LOL, I'm Not RickySpazoutT 
I'm just seeing both sides of the coin at the same time. It makes me a bit cross-eyed, but, errr....it makes sense too. 
I Agree 
with shamblsgaabkler 
I Never Played Either Of Those 
therefore I should play this, right?

though... (c) 
I Never Played Either Of Those 
therefore I should play this, right?

though... (c) 

No, you should play Gothic 1, then Gothic 2, then Gothic 3, then Morrowind, then Oblivion, then Skyrim. Not Guild Wars because it's a lame mmorpg for poofters. 
Bleh @ Negke. 
If you haven't played RPGs before, then yes, it will be an awesome game.

I haven't played G1, G2, M nor O.

Skyrim seems directly comparable to G3 to me, they function in very similar ways.

G3 has stronger defined settings (middle world, desert, alpine), and a stronger "hook" in the Orc takeover of the middle world.

vs.

Skyrim has probably more to do, more character choice/development, and less bugs/glitches. It also has FPS as well as 3PS.

*shrug* 
Yes 
Even if you have played RPGs before, it's an awesome game. Unless you expect a radically different reinvention-of-the-wheelish kind of game. It's just proper RPG all the way through. 

Like all the other games I mentioned, each with a few special characteristics of its own.
Errr, yeah. 
In The Bleak Midwinter 
I've played all the other Elder Scrolls games (except the new one by Mojang) and would be surprised if Skyrim surprised me! That said, I like them because it's comfort-gaming... nothing challenging, just nice and familiar and a good bit of whacking skellingtons with my mace.

They undoubtedly destroy your free time though, so I'll be needing a spare week or more, with roasted meats and mulled wine on hand, maybe a viking hat on my head. Recently heard about something called "Christmas" that sits right on the winter solstice (weird!) so that might be the time my social life gasps it's last breath. 

and less bugs/glitches <-- while talking about the elder scroll series?? holy shit-- must play! 
Awesome. 
It would be more awesome if the setting had some sort of hook (other than dragons) and the people/story were worth giving a shit about (the latter rarely being the case in gaming but even so you'd hope there would be some attachment to it in an RPG).

It is what it is. They could have at least put different tyres on the wheel, rather than just embossing a dragon onto the same ones. 
I'm Loving Skyrim 
The clouds and fog are cool as fuck, the animations are a lot better, the water is the best looking water I've seen for a while, or at least it really stands out as being well-animated water. Also - waterfalls = cool. The plot seems cool. I think it deserves the 95million% reviews it's got n stuff. And yeah - not too buggy. 
There's A Plot?? 
Uhuh.

Had a couple of crashes to desktop but no other bugs.

I do think, despite my views, that it is a very good game, and I've played 14 hours to start scratching the surface - about the same amount of time that I'm wrapping up most SP games I play. So as before I am going dizzy seeing both sides of the DEFINITVE FANTASY RPG OMGZ0R coin... 

So Steam installed a sneak update that disables LAA to use more than 2GB ram. Some DRM-type shit. All that without posting news about it. Spirit plz. 
:) 
:) 
If U Have A License 
Then 'find' a copy which will allow you to tweak more. 
That's Not How The Law Works. 

Hmmmm. 
So a dragon attacked me in a city and I got it down to like 10% health and then a guard talked to me about some bullshit and the dragon disappeared WTF?? Where has the twat gone? I want my bones and scales and shout and shit. Wanker. 
Spirit 
Yeah - I know. It's pretty infuriating when they do stuff like that though. Make's me not care for them so much, TBH. 
Holy Dragon 
I Would. 

This Game.... 
.....is totally IMBA against close combat players. 
Heh 
Re: 54
which sex will make the other obsolete first? 
Quick Question 
What's good stuff to spend money on to improve combat effectiveness as a heavy armoured war axe + destruction / battle axe Orc?? Finally starting to horde a bit... 
Less Bugs/glitches 
<@negke> omg orl
<@negke> skyrim always crashes in the most awkward situations
<@negke> if it wasn't for the autosave, i'd be doomed
<@Skyrimbler> skyrim has some impressive crashes
<@Skyrimbler> it definitely gets more buggy the more you play
<@Skyrimbler> so far i;ve had crashes to desktop on fast travelling, moving location, waiting time, and occasionally just for fun, i've seen animals walking underwater, a floating sword, trees, npcs and a dragon all textured with a default lavender flat texture, my skills menu turned bright pink, and the gloves of tuning magika buff/bug

Herp derp. I finally have decapitation perks on both single and double handed weapons so my life is complete. Well, might have to start dual weilding that could be fun. 
Yeah 
But it's not like the game crashes every 10 minutes. I can play for hours without. And it starts up/loads saves fast, so no big deal. omg yrl. 

the lavender texture thing, at least in oblivion, signified a texture that was replaced externally (loose file overriding a game archive file), but not invalidated by the archiveinvalidation text file. or... something LIKE that.

oblivion had some pretty fucked up bugs, like, for example, the fact it didn't fully clear the memory when loading new games. doesn't look like their engine coders learned much since then from what you describe. :(

yet, from what i've seen of it, it still looks really awesome. :P 
I Have Had Fewer Crashes... 
...once I started using this to run the game with the large-address-aware flag:

http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013

Also, yeah, it's buggy, as is to be somewhat expected from a game of this scope (not to mention a Bethesda game), but holy shit it's gorgeous.

So many times, I have stopped dead in my tracks just to gawk at the scenery, the mountains, the sky, and take in the beauty of it all. 

I've had a few bugs too, well glitches more like. But compared to other RPGs, it feels very polished in this respect.
Going to give the LAA patch a try - thought they had disabled that for good.

The game is gorgeous indeed. I'm 74 hours in and still haven't done many of the actual side quests, let alone the main quest, only miscellaneous ones for the most part. And I've yet to visit at least three or four major towns - haven't been to the far NW and the entire SE region at all. The 'problem' is that, unlike Oblivion, I can't walk past a newly discovered dungeon without exploring it. The dungeons are just so nicely done, all unique in some way, and often have cool items. Carry weight limit is constantly driving me crazy. I really need to buy a horse (have been saying that for days).

So necros, re: expensive new games, this game is actually worth every cent. You're probably better off not buying it now, because of the amount of time it would make you kill. I take everything back I said about Kinn/Oblivion. :} 
So, Gimme Some Tips... 
Having been wandering around semi-aimlessly, I've started to enjoy most of the combat (Fantasy FPS feel).

What I want to do now is be able to deal with dungeon bosses (especially magic wielding ones), as they are still IMBA pains in the arse. I'm nicely equally leveled up in Single Handed, Double Handed, Destruction and Heavy Armour, with Restoration lagging a bit behind.

So what should I do / focus on to get better at crushing magic bosses in H2H combat?? I don't mean tactics as such, I mean overall gameplay. What to spend skills on, what to find, what to spend gold on?? I don't want to do any grinding/farming bollocks, so I'm not doing any endless smithing levelling up - I want to do stuff that is playing the game that will improve my pwning abilities...

Ideas?? 
Unlocking Shouts 
There's one to freeze your opponent. Conjuring stuff helps tactically too, because it distracts the enemy. 
Conjuring & Shouts. 
Both good points. I've got the Fire Atronach and she is a total babe and does come in pretty handy, it would be useful to find more.

Shouts....I really like the kickback one but more shouts could be useful, especially upgrading the freeze one (the downside with kickback is reaching the kickbacked enemy!).

I guess that boils down to more exploration and more talking to find any suitable quests... 
Actually... 
...the other thing I want to obtain is more violence. I've got the critical hit / decapitation perk, are there any ways of increasing the chance of that, or of getting more bloodshed, limb removal etc etc?? 
Well... 
If you want to really focus on hand-2-hand, smithing becomes kind of important, cause that's how you'll make tougher armor and stronger weapons (by improving them, not necessarily by making new ones).

It takes very little grinding to get your smithing level up to something useful depending on how you play. If you pick up all random ingots/ore/etc that you find lying around in dungeons, after a while you can do a quick 5 minute smithing session and raise like 20 levels super quickly.
Improved armor will make the different during close quarter combat. 
Also 
you can keep some resistance items on you to use for specific spellcaster bosses. For example I have a shield with 50% frost resistance on it that I use for liches and ice dragons, it really takes the edge off. 
Smithing / Resistance. 
Bal I have enchanted weapons, I tried to sharpen them it told me I needed level 60 smithing to get the "sharpen enchanted items" perk. BLEH.

Daz, hmmm yeah I will bear that in mind. I am using Stoneflesh a lot more. 
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............ 
Adding 
Stuff. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z9TdDCWN7g&feature=related

Yeah fuck wishywashy folk music from the game, but......nom nom nom!

CZG and I both found the only toilet in the game, it's a little alcove with a pit and a bucket in it. I went for a dump. Apparently CZG used it for a bit of gloryhole action.

There are some cool ruins and dungeons for sure. Get past the typical Draugr barrows and onto the Dwarf ruin and caves and there's proper cool stuff. Ja-Reera in Solitude and the totally sexy something-the-lion bitch in Riften give quests that go to such places.

If you want Daedra hearts the mission from the museum in Dawnstar gets you 4. The Dremora Daedra were really easy to kill which is strange.

I've gone back to single handed combat and am currently rocking ebony axe with 12 health steal vampire enchantment + ebony axe with 20 fire damage enchantment + 2/2 dual wielding perk for 35% quicker attacks. Seems to work nicely - although I don't get decapitation critical hits with it :S. Could also swap the burning for magicka damage enchantment or a second vampire axe. 
Heh 
Really nice re-imagining of that bard song. Wish bethesda had actually made that kind of effort on them in the first place :P 
Skyrim 
I one shot everything with 1500 damage sneak arrows, then don't bother looting the corpses cause I have already 200k gold and houses in every city.
Guess it's about time I stopped playing and resume my regular life. 
Oo 
BAL U'RE OBSCENELY HARDCORE PLS STOP PLAYING NOW!

Shambler, awesome video! But I MUST link something female-ish to counterweight and set everything back to balance!!! (at 0:35 she does it!) 
Yeah Well. 
How many toilets you found Bal??

Also one shot arrows FFS Bal = IMBA.

I wonder what the max damage on a proper weapon is?? 
Smithing. 
Okay I admit it I should have tried this earlier, I didn't realise how super omg awesome easy it was compared to lvling up other attributes.

4 blacksmith forges, 10 minutes, and 126 iron daggers later and I got from 25 to 60, got the arcane perk, another 2 minutes and I got all my ebony upgraded. Cheers for the tip guys. 
Courtesy Of CZG 
<@cnkyhnfvg> nws for ShamblR http://rule34.paheal.net/post/view/752110 
Hah 
The most active this forum is is for Skyrim. Convinces me not to play what seems to be the seminal game of the past few years.

You've all gone mainstream!

Next thing you'll be discussing pop music.

Ah, right.

Anyway, this does seem to be a major achievement, I'll wait til the price reaches my limits. God bless steam, and the crappy $. 
This Game Is Seriously Infuriating 
For several days now, I've been meaning to finally visit Solitude, the last one of the big cities I haven't been to. But every time there were some quest-relevant dungeons along the route, or some new locations popped up on the radar where I couldn't resist unlocking them on the map or exploring them. And then suddenly hours have passed and I haven't gotten one bit closer to Solitude. At this rate, my "average playtime 150 hours" joke will actually prove to be true. 
Smithing Rules 
I've got Dragon Scale Armour, a Daedric Warhammer and a Daedric Bow, all legendary. The bow does 60 damage FFS! And yeah - like Shambler said, I essentially got there by making iron daggers and leather gauntlets until i was level 100 
60 Damage Isn't Much For A Legendary Daedric Bow 
Be sure to raise your base archery perk (it has five stages, each increasing bow damage by 20%). 
Ijed. 
Well....it is a fair question to raise. Mainstream games are often bad, and Skyrim is a mainstream game in name, but not in badness. It's not full of super-on-rails linearity, endless scripted bollox, horrible QT events, gimmicky bosses, interruptive cutscenes and horrible claustrophic restrictions. It has it's problems - lots of bugs, bad menu ui, generic story, limited enemy, enemy imbalance, but mainstreamness isn't one.

I think people on here like it because it's got a strong Nordic setting (lots of Northern Europeans on here), straight up Quakey dungeons, proper FPS perspective (once FOV90ed) and proper FPS controls, and reasonably solid gameplay - although you can spend all your time collecting cabbages or crafting The Ultimate Poison Of Rectal Expansion or lvling your uber-bow to 1500 damage (the latter being perhaps the most ridiculous example), it does play reasonably well as an action game - explore around, find things to kill, kill them, gather loot and dick around a bit so you can kill more things quicker (I just wish they had more violent deaths).

So really it's popularity here is not the death of good honest Quakey principles...

Also I have bought plenty of satanic death metal recently I'll have you know!! 
Bler 
it's black metal btw 
Uhhhhh. 
Hmmmm what about Dragged Into Sunlight tho?? Blackened Satanic Doom Death surely?? :P 
Yeah 
That's what I've heard - its why there's no way I can waste the money on it as well. 100+ hour games I just don't have the time to play.

...and the last time I heard a game recommended as strongly was the Witcher, which I found kind of underwhelming. Basically the same mechanics as Zelda from the 90s but done in 3D.

Probably if I bought Skyrim I'd run around for a bit, try stupid stuff (like putting buckets on peoples heads and nicking their stuff) then shut it down and never play again.

Sigh. 
The Witcher 
was cool :) 
I Also Thought It Was Underwhelming. Bioware 
ijed, does it really matter if you spend 100+ hours on a continuous game or playing arcade or round-based games over and over? 
Bler 
oh i thought u were talking about archgoat. yea dis is more death. 
Short Sessions 
With reward at the end of each. In big games you just save your progress when stood in a field or something.

177 hours on isaac... uh, right. 
Ijed,. 
I do short sessions in Skyrim now. Wander around a bit, find a quest / dungeon, kill everything, get loot, complete quest, sell look, upgrade anything suitable, quit. 
Tho... 
That is after some longer sessions getting used to the game and finding out what I like about it. 
Skyrim Is Sex 
Lets face it. It's pretty fun. The best thing about it is the shouts. These are just a type of magic spell that doesn't require magika. Like rushing 50ft in half a second. Or sending out a blast of cold air which temporarily freezes your opponent solid. You discover new shouts when you enter the nordic dungeons. And there are loads of them. But yeah - it doesn't feel as long as it is, which really just means its immersive, and fun. 

the elder scroll series is one of the few games i can go buy and not feel like i wasted money. i still play oblivion, and i did a quick morrowind playthrough a few months ago too. 
Further To My Reply To Ijed 
http://teamshambler.blogspot.com/2011/12/skyrim-dungeons-vs-quake-maps.html

Sometimes - especially in Dwemer dungeons - it does feel like exploring custom Quake maps, just with fantasy weapons and less monsters (usually a lot less unfortunately). I think the game works pretty well like that.

I've now got dual enchanted Legendary Ebony everything (can't be arsed making Daedric), dual wield dual enchanted weapons (usually 2x vampire / 1 x stamina steal / 1 x fire damage) that melt through most things without imba sneaking cheating, have had to up the difficulty to Master. Can summon Storm Atronachs and disintegrate targets with lightning spells. Fun. 

glad they brought back dwemer maps. those were great in morrowind. 
Hah 
Apart from time spent... 
Good Game, But So Many Bugs ... 
I hope Bethesda is going to make use of the id technology in the future. Bethesda make some wicked sick games (Fallout and Elder Scrolls) but are often plagued by technical shortcomings. id seems to have run out of steam a bit on the story telling aspect of game making. 
Dang 
I feel like the only guy in the world who is seriously disappointed with Skyrim. From all the hype videos leading up to the game, I expected a pretty big improvement in game play design from Oblivion. It doesn't feel like anything has changed really other than the graphics engine.

The visuals are better technically, there is more detail in game models, but the animations are still pretty terrible from what I've seen. Facial animations are still pretty ugly too. There are some impressive draw distances, but let's face it we've seen impressive draw distances (and prettier worlds) in other games.

The world itself is very bleak, and I hate to say it, but why would you get all this great technology to create a boring, drab, brown, gray and white world? Bal says he thinks it's pretty colorful, but I must not have gotten to that part of the game yet.

I find a lot of 'improvements' are drawbacks - the UI is terrible imo, it's clunky feeling, wastes space, doesn't give me information I want, etc. Maybe I haven't found it yet, but switching weapons and armor is cumbersome. I have to resort to setting things to 'favorite' but haven't yet found a way to set load outs that I can switch between from 1 through 0 like Oblivion.

Quests are still boring and generic so far. The story is boring and generic so far. Something about dragons or whatever.

The concept of shouts makes me think that I'm just some kind of Jedi that found his way to Skyrim, and the hooded robe dudes are just Yoda. I dunno, maybe the shouts get more interesting down the road, but they're really generic and don't feel very cool. They are not very innovative or interesting concepts either.

I initially liked the idea of the constellations being your different tech trees that you can upgrade your character from. In actuality they are clunky and moving through them is really just a waste of time. In Diablo 2 or something similar it would be two quick clicks and that would be it, but now I have to like scroll through some shit and navigate a maze of stars to get to what I want. Hardly a deal breaker, but quickly becomes tedious and a chore.

The crafting and mining and whatnot is boring also. Just bleh.

I dunno, I loved Oblivion, I loved Fallout 3, but this game ... is just so meh to me. I shouldn't say it's bad, but it's just a huge let down from what I was expecting. It feels like a giant expansion pack to Oblivion really, not the innovative experience I was expecting. 
Re: Colourful 
i haven't played it, but i've seen some shots that vondur posted and it appears as though there are some pretty colourful (and amazing!) looking areas. 
Dialog Selection 
has anyone had the problem where sometimes the wrong dialog choice is selected?

I've tried clicking as well as keyboard up/down and w/s with enter, and every so often, it will ignore the option i have highlighted and select the first option.

is there a fix or mod? I've searched, but haven't found anything. This is up there in my list of annoying game bugs because it's just so random. I haven't been able to figure out what exactly causes it to select the wrong option. 
I Know What You Mean Necros 
I have the same problem. I think you can usually make the text emphasise if you move the mouse over it a couple of times. But it doesn't always react that way the first time you move the mouse over it. 
Not To Forget 
the save bug.
That incremental changes save stuff is like tnt.
Play long enough and the game suffers bad of crash hickup. 

is that just a result of the port to PC then? I've experimented a bit more with it and it's just plain odd.

It seems to ignore the auto selected option (from a previous selection) so the trick seems to be, either mouse OR keyboard, to scroll up to the first option then back down to what you want. every time. -_-

I looked into trying to fix it myself, but all the menus are flash .swfs now.

I haven't noticed any save bug yet though. Actually, apart from that absurd dialog selection bug, I haven't had a single crash yet. That may not sound like much until you remember we're talking about an elder scrolls game. 

I played skyrim on the 360 for about 300+ hours and had plenty of crashes (console locked up requiring cycle of power) but never had any problems with the save games. I did keep deleting the old save games to free up hd space. The interface is really designed for consoles and I can imagine it must be really awkward for pc's. I really enjoyed the game on the console. 

I've been using SkyUI which makes the menus much more PC friendly but there's no mod for dialog selection. 
+1 SkyUI 
I get an error message about the lack of Skyrim Script Extender though, but it seems to work anyway. Installed it with Steam Workshop. Steam Workshop is an awesome thing :) Got 42 mods subscribed - just little touches, Hi-res textures are OFF. Caused me major slowdown with my crossfire 5850's. Everything else is maxed.

Second run through - 34 hours of playtime, level 34! 
Good Mods... 
you just can't save equipment sets without the script extender, everything else works.

also, the categorized favourites menu is awesome.

Must-have mods:
SkyUI
Cetagorized Favourites Menu
Instant horse dismounting
You just fall off the horse without playing that stupid animation. A little buggy but way better than not having it.
No blocky faces
The original face texture were tiny and had pretty bad compression or something. The noses in particular usually looked like they had flat plates on the front.

Those are the only ones I've really felt the need to use. I'll probably pick up the ones that expand the smithing system or the magic overhaul stuff later, but compared to morrowind or oblivion, there isn't as much need for mods this time. 

hmm...
so at level 38 as a pure spell caster, i finally got tired of one-shotting everything with dual cast lightning.
had to get a mod that reduces player damage to 20% of normal.
then had to create my own mod to increase mana usage for spells based on skill level because my enchanted gear made all my spells free.
i think once i beat the game once, i'll set about making a proper magic gameplay mod to handle varying levels better. there are a few out there already, but they all seem to make magic MORE powerful, which is really not the direction needed.

so far though, the game itself is really impressive. and very stable too. been in some pretty crazy fights that would have CTD'd oblivion many times over.

there are some fucked up bugs though, like not being able to hotkey dual weapons or hotkeys for a weapon disappearing if you pick up another one of the same type. 
Hmm 
so at level 38 as a pure spell caster, i finally got tired of one-shotting everything with dual cast lightning.

Very strange , in my first playthrough, at level 61, with all perks from the destruction school enabled

It took me for ages to kill someone, with the lightningbolt(even dualcasting)

I've been playing as a pure mage, no armor and all that jazz, just a archmage robe (hard or whatever skill)

I know that the lightningbolt has around 90pts damage , dual cast *2 = 180, so to kill somebody there is ~ 2 or 3 shots needed

But i had to cast the spell atleast 10-15 longer to kill the enemy 
Hmmm 
or was it "Wall of Storms" i've been using?

Sprayed on the ground it creates a wall of lightning that does 50 points of shock damage per second

Maybe because i tried to shoot at the body instead of hitting the ground, the enemy got reduced damage 

well, i guess at higher levels, the health catches up to the damage then. maybe i'm too far ahead in destruction for my level?

the problem for me was that I couldn't just up the difficulty because it ended with ME being one shotted by everything, which was just annoying. 
Just Fyi... 
Seems like the 1.6 patch has introduced a CTD if a mod is loaded with a % in the filename. This did not occur prior to the patch. The crash happens immediately after the data is loaded and the menu is supposed to appear. 

Who puts a % symbol in a filename? Seriously. 

When you have a number that is a percentage. 
Lol - I Wondered Why Skyrim Had Been Being Screwy Since Today 
No CTD's here, the only symptom I have suffered is flickering when the local map is up. 

"When you have a number that is a percentage."

I guess I'm just too old school. Those symbols don't go in filenames. That's just common sense, dagnabbit! 

it should be common sense not to care about what character limitations ancient setup/filesystems had. unless you are some lunatic who uses a text-mode terminal without filename completion. 
Dawnguard 
It's now available for PC!
Although for a hefty 20 Eur... 

Have you tried dawnguard yet neg? 
Nope 
Not going to buy it until the price drops at least 50%. 

Ah ok, I wasn't planning on getting it yet either. :) 
Boreguard 
I was planning to get this on the 360, but I read terrible reviews of the new content saying it was not really new stuff, just more of the same. It did not seem like it was worth it, unless of course you want to play as a vampire! 
Dawnguard. 
It is more of the same....but that is the same goodness. I enjoyed it, it was a bit pricey at �14 but I probably got 20 hours gameplay out of it?? I've completed the main mission but still have more to do.

It starts off a bit meh with no real hook to it, but gets pretty good as you progress through the story.

The highlight is 4 cool new large areas to explore (in addition to several new dungeons etc etc):

Vampire Castle - really enjoyed exploring around this, had a great decrepit medieval feel.
Soul Cairn - very distinctive dimensional wasteland. Bit slow trekking back and forth but cool styles.
Darkfall - not bad but too bloody dark.
Forgotten Vale - pretty spectacular and interesting to explore, as good as any other area in the game.

Also the companion you get is pretty sexy, useful in combat, and has a very natural behaviour when you're hanging around. I'd never had a companion before so having this one AND learning crossbow skills gave me interesting stuff to do in addition to the usual malarkey.

If you like Skyrim there's no reason why you won't like this. 
Fucking Serena. 
I'm sure she is fucking reinfecting me with vampirism each time. Just got fucking cured and now fucking infected again. Bitch. If she wasn't so hot I'd smack her vampiric ass down. 
Dragonborn. 
Anyone got it installed yet? What's the shizzle, homizzles? 

Alright so if anyone hasn't played skyrim yet (or might want to replay)...

I'm a bit behind you guys but even Skyrim I delayed big time, because I knew it'd be a big hit on my time (and pocket). I've basically played it all day every day for 2 weeks. Pretty great game I thought. Apart from all the crashes and bugs, of course. At this point I can't even go near Markarth in fear of doing that stupid prison quest that bugs out. I've probably had over 100 ctd's. At least it restarts quick though.

I ended up playing the main game, most of the guilds (except Bard and Dark Brotherhood), probably 2/3rds of the side quests and half the Daedric quests. Then the main quests for Dawnguard and Dragonborn DLC's, both of which were great.

Oh and I also played with a lot of mods. Literally took a day just setting mods up. I went by this for my setup:
http://www.skyrim-beautification-project.com/mods/index.htm

However ENB looked shit. Because you start in the dungeons (after the short intro) and ENB always looks shit in dungeons because it's too dark, I decided to switch it off. Play it the way Bethesda intended it to be lit. But once I finished the official stuff I decided to give it another shot, this time using the NLVA settings here http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/75346/?
and shit, the outdoors do look pretty sweet. Indoors still suck most of the time but at least you can switch it off using shift-f12 when you're in a dungeon. Definitely worth having on for outdoors, after 50+ hours in skyrim you do start to get sick of the greys. Most ENB settings go overboard with it and oversaturate and overexpose the fuck out of everything. This one isn't too bad though. Does take a hit on loading times, they almost double. Runs smooth though.

Also found this long list of mod suggestions which might be better than what I used (more up to date)
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/76373/?

I can't compare to vanilla, but I think all the mods I used have made the game much better. Bigger more detailed cities, better graphics and textures, weather systems, missing quests, even just having a couple of good followers (like Arissa) and I kept the vampire chick around because she's hot make a difference.

So I'm playing through lots of quest mods now. Anyone like some that were on a professional level? There seems to be a lot of amateur garbage. Even the most popular stuff I'm finding a lot isn't very good. Boxmap shit. There's the odd reviewer but they're not critical enough to get modders to improve.

Wyrmstooth is obviously a must-play. It's shorter than the official DLC's and more linear but quality is up there with Bethesda (if not better in some areas). Shame this guy deleted the mod and his online profile to focus on real life, because he had some talent. It's still available on google though, which is how I got it. I haven't come across anything else near as good yet, but I do still have lots of look through.

But stuff like The Wheels of Lull - amateur mess, shit puzzle solving.
Voyage to the Dreamborne Isles - looks pretty, combat completely unbalanced. Game ending CTD midway.
Molag Bal's Inferno - boring gameplay, odd designs. I had enough of the dream world shit in Dragonborn.
The Temple of Black Rock - awful maze design, no lighting, ridiculous hard combat
Clockwork Castle - looks pretty but way too much backtracking and fetching
Moonpath to Elsweyr - some different ideas but poor execution, laughable voice acting

I've been saving up Falskaar, so that's coming next. I hear some are mixed on that though. Then I'll move on to Enderal: The Shards of Order at some point but it's standalone game length, and harder I think so I'm not sure if I'll keep at it. No fast travel wtf. 
Enderal 
Spent all week on Enderal. Great game, fantastic story much better than Skyrim.

It has it's pros and cons much like Skyrim. The levelling system I didn't like quite as much as Skyrims' levelling-by-doing. Having to buy bloody skillbooks is a pain. You just can't go out exploring either because enemy levels are preset. Also no fast travel kills exploration as you don't want to spend an hour walking across the map only to find everything over there is 20 levels above you. All the dungeons always seem to be above my level I get caned, and yet the main quest is fairly easy. Even the final boss, and yet wandering off the beaten path just a couple hours before that was unsurvivable, I get ambushed by Suncunts and had to run like fun and never return to that area again.

But there's some mods you have to use to improve the experience:
1 fast travel
2 re-balancing on levelling (I think it gives more skill points and lowers cost of skill books or something)
3 sleep anywhere (outside of nearby enemies) doesn't instantly heal you though
4 Vivid ENB is a must use, it makes the game look so much better

Those things make the game a little more forgiving and easier (because it is a hard game, harder than Skyrim)

If I give Skyrim a 9.5/10, Enderal is a 9/10. It should have been packaged standalone and sold at full retail, because it's better than 95% of commercial games. I feel it's far too good to have given it out for free. But good on them. Free DLC coming this year too.

Oh ps played Falskaar, good stuff. That and Wyrmstooth are really the only skyrim quest mods worth playing (that I played at least). 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.