News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
New Q1SP: "Honey" By CZG
http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/files/single_player/maps/honey.zip
Someone might have to fix the url later or something? idk.

Here's a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/CQtiV.jpg

Uhm, it's two maps, a start map, and some extra crap. Comes with its own progs and some stuff. Sources included. You can play the maps in any order, just go from the start map so you get the "story". Weapons don't carry over . (Vondur!!!!!)

Please play with fitzquake or quakespasm or something like that. These maps break lots of limits and also use fog quite heavily.

Hopefully it works as intended, if not, april fools, lol!

Editors Note: holy sex on a stick it's czg's map!!
God Damn It 
Why do I always fall for this shite. 
Played the first map and now I will dream of the next one for the rest of the night. We need to manufacture a throne for czg. Utterly fantastic design. Played on normal. Every monster felt so right. Ambushes worked.

http://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/honey.html
and it is in the Quake Injector too 

Will this work in Aguirre's engine also? 

Won't load from injector for me, into Quakespasm:

AllocBlock : Full 
OMG 
also, the last shot with the hanging chains is super sexy. 
Omg 
Downloading now. Playing after. 
Wow 
Played the first map, totally amazing, the connectivity, fights, ambushes, quantity of ammo, perfect on normal skill. I can't believe you have been keeping this pile of maps a secret with no screenshots either!

The architectural style is awesome, giant structures, tons of vertical elements and such a simple texture set but well put together. I have always been a sucker for old brick and mortar structures and the style was perfect.

Thank very much for the release. :) 
Omfg! 
great, now all my new (and old maps) have another CZG map/episode to look shit in comparison to :)

Going to play now! 
Jesus 
I have so many important things I should be doing. But I was so excited when I saw this that I dropped them all and played immediately.
Obviously everyone else should as well.
Thank you so much CZG! 

Ogier was created by the tools team at Starbreeze

you used ogier to make this? 
Very Beautiful. 
At first I passed on a easy and simply enjoying the architecture. Then he tried to hard, but could not pass because it was not enough first-aid kits and ammos. Before the golden door I had 2% health. It seems to be more careful to get everything. At easy was too easy on hard gameplay was great.
In general, map very nicely done.
Thank you, czg 

fucking
speechless 

NOTE: Because I am a retard, I started playing the map from the map "honey" instead of start, but thankfully this did not spoil things for me as I later found out. Played on normal.

Another plumbing map? :) This is the best one so far by miles!

The scale of the maps really felt perfect and there was a good balance between close quarters ambushes, sniping and buckets of monsters appearing all at once.

The first map was amazingly well made. Huge but somehow not confusing in the slightest. As Warren points out, everything was balanced perfectly. I was often low on ammo, but didn't ever run completely dry. The was a good balance of different types and the weapons were introduced at a nice pace that kept me using all of them throughout. This applies even more so to the second map thanks to the key idea.

The second map blew my fucking brain out. Again, huge and complex, but I never got lost... well, I got a little confused after getting the gl and coming back to the silver key door... I thought I had missed the sk and wasn't immediately sure which way to go... didn't realise I had to do another loop! This map was a fucking masterpiece. The architecture was beautifully done - the ruins worked so well to both set the atmosphere and provide an enticing playground for exploration as well as some great enemy encounters. I really loved the use of fog to set the tone of what was coming, and the way the ambushes are delayed puts you off kilter a bit as you expect them, then feel worried when something doesn't happen quite as you expected, then bam! There were also a couple of WTF!? Shambler!? moments too :) Nice use of spawn also.

Nice ending too!

Maps like this remind us why we still play Quake today. Why can nobody else map like czg? There are plenty of awesome maps by other awesome mappers, but czg is such a mapping genius he always seems to raise the bar. He should be made a national treasure of Norway if he isn't already. Bastard.

From the .txt
"Thanks for letting me play with you all these years.
.Goodbye
."
Does this mean the last czg map? :~(
Sad, but such an amazing swan song if it is. Thanks for the awesome maps!

p.s. Are czg's pro maps (for games like The Darkness) this good? Do I need to buy Starbreeze's games? 

I too was a brake, and immediately saw that there is a map of "saint". While I was killed, but it looks more interesting than honey. I'll play more later. Thank you again 
Well Bugger Me With A Bargepole. 
haven't played it yet but I know what i'm doing tommorrow i guess 
Superb 
This was a superb pack and a perfect way to spend an hour on sunday morning. I had a great time. Played with DirectQ.

honey 19:31, all kills, 3/7 secrets
saint 33:27, all kills, 4/7 secrets 
Great 
jay new map,i was already fearing i had to go to the shop for breakfast! 
A Czg Map... 
... wow, need to play it..
/me just added it into the top list of things to do this week ! More feedback later, but from shots, it is amazingly sexy :) 
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 
I am glad not to be an ambitious mapper, otherwise I would just give up after playing this.

This release had me smile, tear the mouse with shock, afraid of heights [1], gaze in awe, laugh and at the end I could only stare at the screen with amazement.

[1] seriously, my sphincter contracted once, surely that was intended 
Apologies Where Apologies Are Due 
otp: sorry. :(

spirit: second map is worse, sorry. :(

Yhe1: I have no idea, sorry. :(

Willem: Weird, quakespasm worked for me when I tried it briefly, and it works in fitzquake which is the base of quakespasm, right? I got that error until I moved to a no-limits engine too. Don't know how to fix it for you, sorry. :(

metlslime: That's all there is, sorry. :(

jt_: sorry . :(

sock: sorry I kept it a secret. :(

than: sorry I made your maps look shit. :(

Drew: sorry I distracted you. :(

necros: yeah, sorry you can't have the latest version though, it's quite good. :(

digs: sorry you almost died. :(

scampie: sorry about your vocal cords. :(

than: yeah I'm not going to make any more, sorry. :(

digs: sorry you were killed. :(

Kinn: didn't mean to take away your free time, sorry. :(

Mandel: sorry you didn't find all the secrets. :(

Orbs: I'm sorry you had to go hungry. :(

JPL: didn't mean to create more work for you, sorry. :(

Spirit: sorry your butt is so tight. :( 
Czg 
thou art rock! 
Meh Time For Real Breakfast Now:) 
easy run first map in 1:46, 2md map no finish yet, current route has a pretty hard grenade jump when no timer/ cant throw straight up since it need custom engine :). There might be a pretty short route on it though slope jump &swirl from the 1st YA secret un to the pipes near start. To hard for me though cant even get it hfr and there are no monsters aroudn to boost 
Looks Immesnely Sexy 
not going to work tomorrow :) 
Done. 
Well here we are again. I never thought I'd play another Quake adventure by czg, but then again I thought I'd never see another film in the Alien universe by Ridley Scott. It's funny how things turn out. The best part is I didn't have to wait until June to see this. I think it's an objective truth that the bar has been raised (let's be honest - punted into the stratosphere).

Thanks for this. 
Czg 
You are the bestest person ever!
These are the bestest maps ever!
<3

Oooo meow, cowabunga! 
Those... 
...who would recently go around saying "has-been mapper", "king of curvy maps from 10 years ago", "retired zombie clawing from the grave" can fuck right off. 
Awesome 
Played first map, it's awesome. I can't sa it's the nest map I've played, but it's TOP. The end was the best of all, that rusty old industrial walls and machines, it felt like it's a real place. 
Gorgous Honey, Sour Temple 
I rarely play maps again with different skill levels but the quality of the first map Honey is just breathtaking. I was surprised to find that the difference in monsters between skill levels was subtle and very cool. Extra mobs here and there, a few types switched around and only a couple extra overall. I am not sure what thought process you went through for creating this map but I would love to know.

I wished I saw the creation process on the first map or even if you wrote something about how you created it would be good. I don't know of any quake mappers who sit down and talk about the construction of what they do. The maps are released and very little is discussed, just strange readme files.

So after several plays of the first map and I eventually tried the second map and was sourly disappointed. I know it is your trademark thing to have maps where have to do mario style jumping and can easily fall to your death but it just feels so 1990s. I understand that dangerous environments are the things (Ive spent long enough playing DarkSouls) but there is nothing wrong with safetly nets once in a while.
The other thing about the second map is the labeling of stuff (rocket/grenade tubes), just made it feel even more like an arcade game instead of the rich dripping atmosphere of the Honey map.
The final maps were awesome, I loved the sense of humour you had with the village. (not saying anymore)

Overall a good map pack but the second map felt more like an experiment than the awesome first map. I can't agree this is the best ever, but it is certainly amazing what you did with just the standard monsters. The gameplay in map 1 is just perfect, loads of moments where the pacing is slow, ambushes, surprises mobs and placement was so much fun.

Off to play the first map again and I wish you did more maps like it again! 

best ending credits ever!

some interesting gameplay choices. especially liked the super ogres. 'z aware' didn't bother me at all here thanks to the super ogres being very distinctive (although, the floating orb looked a little goofy, but still better than just a reskin).

few great ambushes... fiend and ogre attacking out of the shadows was cool. would have been annoying but it only happens once for each of those monsters so it was good. :)

lighting in general was way too dark though. had to pump up brightness a lot which i hate doing because it makes everything look washed out. :(

by far, my favourite map is the poison (saint) map. ridiculously cool, and reminds me of enclave. (maybe cause of ogier?? dunno)
using rockets and grenades to unlock the areas was nice. and made a more interesting way of replaying the same areas.
liked the attention to detail with the busted up fences and the great tex alignment on the collapsed stuff.
incidentally, it's interesting what you are saying, sock because it's the exact opposite for me. i liked the new gameplay stuff and i always love rickety hanging stuff. didn't have any real trouble with slipping off either.
also, i found the honey map a bit of a let down because visually it was less interesting for me. i kind of wish i had played them in the same order as you. :P

the arrow textures help a lot in both maps and i never got lost. otoh, kinda too bad you had to resort to so many 'sign posts'. :(

also, i wish you had taken the start map seriously as (at least the initial start map) it would have been pretty creepy.

thanks for the pack! 
Btw 
I loved the rocket/grenade switches because it was pure metroid prime. TBH more quake mappers need to play metroid prime. 
Thanks For The Ending 
OK, played the second map, it was nice, but it didn't had the same "feeling". It was also much easier, I encountered 2 times a yellow armor that I couldn't grab because I didn't used a single bit from the one that I already had.

But the finish was great, the ghosts and the messages made me smile. And the end movie... oh man, I felt like I have 16 years again. Great job, I really hope you'll release something similar after 3-4 years. 

Err, I was trying to launch with an old FitzQuake version. It DOES work with QuakeSpasm after all, sorry for the confusion!

Really nice from what I've seen. The huge architecture has JUST enough detail to sell the level to my brain and it all works really nicely.

A fiend jumped on my damned head though, so I'll have to try and play through again tomorrow. 

Oh, and I really like your sense of Quake gameplay. I've killed these creatures a thousand times but the way you present and position them makes it almost fresh again.

I'm really enjoying the combat and that rarely happens anymore! 

I went "saint". Very cool, czg! Great job.
secrets 3/7
Thanks! 
Omfg 
Cheers. Amazing polish all round.
I loved the ambience of the chains and fog. 
My_brother 
dont_bother, its a czg mapping, no crappin´
Don´t he doing it makery for fame, still in the one quakery game.
Like for fifteen years, i swears..
teh best, me guess..
thx a lo´t , dis issa hot
one love 
Moving Pixels 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty_UVj3qc00

I enjoyed saint.bsp the most. Mostly for the incredible atmosphere and visuals. There really isn't much to fault here at all, my only gripe is that the pacing of both maps (but more honey.bsp) was slower than I typically like.

I loved the use of spawns! Great idea to change the fog to that green/blue combination whenever spawns were close, nice touch and it put me on edge whenever the fog changed :)

How did you do the fog transitions? It seemed to lerp very smoothly from one setting to another, is that part of the custom progs.dat or a fitzquake thing?

Rocket and grenade puzzles in saint.bsp were awesome. I wish there were some hidden targets though as part of secrets (maybe there were, I didn't find all secrets).

My main issue with saint.bsp was all the backtracking through previous areas once you had the grenades, and then again somewhat with the rockets. While you were unlocking new areas it still felt a bit tiresome near the end (imo) and could have used a new area or two to keep things fresh.

Comic sans 4 evar! 

fitz has interpolating fog built in, but looking at the qc real quick, looks like the lerping is done manually. 
Beh 
forgot to mention, but i didn't notice the fog changing with tarbaby proximity. too bad, cause that would have been cool to know. :) 
Thanks Czg :) 
awesome maps!
I loved the cavernous brick interiors, the use of fog.. one standout memory for me was the shambler fight in the dark in the chapel area of saint.bsp.
for me honey.bsp captured the best parts of id1; the combat felt great, the feeling of being lost in a crazy catacomb but in fact having a clear route (I didn't get lost once :-), lots of ambushes, etc. Both maps were great though. cheers. 
Awesome. 
Not much I can add to previous comments, these are as good as people say (although not the ultimate end of quake you knobs).

Good set-up, good intro, amusingly silly ending.

Saint - amazing, one of the most radical atmospheres in Quake for a long while. As well as the obvious designs, I found the religious statue murals to be particularly evocative. With all the void, this felt like what Warpspasm would have been if it had fully capitalised on the atmosphere. I felt on edge most of the time, and the more sporadic gameplay enhanced that rather than overwhelming it with stress. This really felt like somewhere....somewhere different and eerie.

Honey - very good, I liked how it was both similar to Saint but different - more straightforward atmosphere, less environmental tension, and rougher and tougher gameplay. Had some good fights in this and good Quad runs. The complexity of the design was also very impressive and I spent a while working out how things fitted together around the floating Quad. A great map in it's own right but slightly overshadowed by the spectacular Saint.

Excellent work. Best Sunday for Quake in a long time! 

Yeah the fog is controlled manually.
It is stuffed to the console each frame, and that's why trying to disable fog doesn't work. Should have thought of that and added a way to disable it, but I didn't. Sigh.

The fog system is way overwrought for what I ended up using it for, but it is somewhat robust and flexible.
There is a global fog set in the worldspawn, a local fog that is set by groups of triggers, and an override fog that is controlled manually by certain entities. (Most obviously the deathpit)
When I started working on the fog system I almost gave up because the results I got in the engine were so crap compared to what I expected them to be. Then I discovered that ftos() only gives one decimal point. So of course I implemented my own ftos that is a complete and utter coding horror.

There are lots of other "systems" spread throughout the code too, where just simple hacks would have been better:
Spawnable monsters and items are obvious.
Items flaggable directly as secrets save a bit of work.
Everything that can take damage in the game can also be filtered to only accept damage from certain weapons. This is used on maybe one button in the whole mod.
All monsters can have their sight range individually scaled. This was only used for the vore before the gk door in honey.
I implemented an interpolated sine lookup function for the ghosts.
I implemented a system for spline movement. This was intended to be used on the boss that there are fragments of in sknight.qc. It's kinda neat but not perfect, and in the end it got only used for the ogre marksman "guiding spirit" orbs.

The gist is I don't really like doing hacks, (although there are quite a few of those as well) and generally prefer doing things systematically. Can you tell I actually went to school to be a java engineer?

Anyway, this pack was mostly pretty fun to make, and it feels good to have done something.
It was inspired by a trip I made in 2008 I think to the city Sienna in Italy. It fucking owned and both maps are pretty much directly influenced by the narrow streets and tall brick buildings there.
Saint.bsp was also heavily inspired by the very first leaked gameplay video of Diablo 3. The one with the barbarian traipsing across stone catwalks over bottomless pits while huge arches and stuff loom in the distance. 
Fuck, CZG... 
...awesomeness of these maps has just increased exponentially: Siena is some 60 miles from my town, so I guess it's just like playing Quake in my courtyard.

Outstanding work, sir.

And, next time anyone comes here close looking for inspiration, feel free to drop me a mail. You may find a bunch of goodies and wine... 

also, i wish you had taken the start map seriously as (at least the initial start map) it would have been pretty creepy.

Yeah that was a real shame imo :( 
I Was Going To Say... 
That the architecture reminded me heavily of Diablo 1, albeit with verticality. Now we know why. :D Haven't played far yet but the first level is amazing. I love the verticality, and I wish Diablo 3's cathedral looked more dark and "grungy" like this 
Excellent Work 
Well done - look forward to seeing more of the same! 
Orbs. 
Please post demo kthxbye. 
Nice... 
Still playing the levels...

I played Saint first. This looks great, I love especially the player route that winds through the same areas 3 times, with new openings each time. The grenade/rocket locks are cool and well-implemented, I only wish the glowing cross-hair texture turned off when they had been used. (so i wouldn't try to use them again.) It also caused me to be more conservative with my rocket ammo, since usually I try to use that type first (so that my nails are ready for a crisis.) Brushwork is top-notch, lots of great details and everything looks cleanly built.

Playing Honey now. So far it feels different, but not that different. Brushwork is less showy than the other map, but still solid with lots of details, and great large spaces with many layers of structure making interesting views. Some specific details were neat: 1. pressing the button to lower the bars on the staircase above you, and you could actually see the bars lower into the alcove you're standing in. 2. The double-lift with the rocket launcher on it. 3. The encounter right before the gold key (three ogres on pillars, etc.) was very cool and suprising in how it developed. 4. the sort of "mirror's edge"-style red brick texture you use on ledges that you can jump from or jump to.

Start map -- state changes after completing each level were cool.

Credits -- funny.

One thing that i noticed, there were no styled lights in these levels! Was this for performance or laziness? :P

Oh, and:

saint, 39 minutes, 2/7 secrets
honey, 26 minutes, 0 secrets 
Mostly Laziness 
I'm not that excited about animated lights in non-base levels, because there aren't that many places it looks natural. I'm not a big fan of flickering torchlight for instance.
Only places there are animated lights is in front of some teleporters.

Did you notice I implemented smooth light ramping on trigger? I hope you did! 

Really the torches are the only place I felt flickering should have been used. That's the only reason I noticed, I was looking at a room near the end of Honey and realized the most prominent light source was a torch, and then I noticed it was not flickering :)

Actually when the lights ramped, I guess I just thought that was the fog changing color. I didn't realize the lighting was changing too. 
AAAAAaaarrrgh ! 
I can't play the maps in GLQuake (OS X). They are crashing the app. So sad, since I feel I'm missing something really great here.

CZG, can't you compile a version without the fog ? Just asking... 
GLQuake Will Never Ever Run These Maps. 
And the fog has nothing to do with that. 
Memory 
With the default memory you cannot save, it crashes. And in some areas there is an extreme slowdown. I wonder how nobody said this before. I played with heapsize 256000 and it was fine :) 
Barnak 
The Readme is there for a reason :) 
O Well... 
I never read readmes : they sucks ! ;-)

At least, there's a F***G great video there :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty_UVj3qc00 
Barnak 
Just grab quakespasm from: http://quakespasm.sourceforge.net/download.htm - it runs honey fine on my macbook. 
Readme Files 
Should be renamed to "hot porn links" or something. Seriously. I gave up on writing them ages ago - nobody ever reads a readme file! 
Foggy 
Coming late to the thread means people have already said most of what I would say, but all that stuff about how gorgeous the maps look goes again for me.

I played in story order, and the start map does tutor you on two important mechanisms in quite a natural way. The zombie thing is important to know so making it a quick skill check was smart, while keeping it out of the maps proper. The idea of the secrets with a regular sound cue seemed nice but I played on hard so I didn't get to try it.

Saint had a fantastic and unique theme, great pacing to let you enjoy it enough of the time. The repeated passes through the map were clever too. I really liked the setup of the wooden scaffolding room, with spawns followed by distant ogres and sniping scrags to soak up all your nails. Then as soon as you grab the secret boxes and round the next corner, a shambler ambushes and you're extremely grateful for a secret which didn't seem too great at first.

Honey was equally well built, although not such a unique design. I have to admit though that I spent a lot of the map not knowing where I was! I didn't really get stuck for progression, just had a hard time placing how things connected. Having poked around the map again, I think some of this was due to taking the water route and the back steps after the nailgun. The first monsters I found were all facing the wrong way, so I worried I'd broken the map...

And yes, credits were very cool, surpassing even the Team Fortress intro for quake animation goodness. 
Ericw 
Ericw,

thanks a lot for that link. Really appreciated !

How can I turn ON FSAA with this app ? 
Well.. 
1. cool/hip dudes that don't realize some people have only begun to install quake maps for the first time.

2. veterans that know the ins and outs of quake user maps and how to flawlessly install them don't need them.

i only started about a month or two ago, so i HAD to look at them for info on 'heapsize' etc.

there's some interesting stuff in 'em more often than not..

anyway, sirs:

looking forwards to this and 'dead memories' (after i finish nehahra, for the first time!). 
Duh! 
i was meant to say i was going on about 'readme' docs above.. 
About QuakeSpasm For OS X 
Well, sorry to be such a n00b, but I'm new to QuakeSpasm (I was always playing on GLQuake).

What should I know about QuakeSpasm ? The official web page doesn't say much.

What are the command tweaks I should know to have the best graphical experience with this app ? i.e. FSAA, shadows, fogs, etc,...

I hope I'll be able to play this Honey stuff pretty soon with this app... 
Barfnak 
Download Fitzquake from this site. Install it. Add -game honey to the command line. Play the maps. 
Nah He's Running Osx 
QuakeSpasm is the way to go.
I'm a complete novice when it comes to macs tho, so I'll let someone else explain how to set up the command line. 
Yeah 
I still don't quite get how honey links up - I also wish fog could be turned off so I could figure that out, but I guess it remains more alluring this way or something.

I'll just look at the source instead.

I feel the same about animated torchlight - never felt right.
ramped light? in vanilla? 
Command Line Is Just Like Win... 
...He needs to write it in the start dialog of Quakespasm in the "Command line parameters" field. 
1ºdemos 
Oh Sorry. 
Macs lol. 
HUURAH ! 
Ok, I can play the Honey maps, using QuakeSpasm.

There are three things missing with this app, though (QuakeSpasm OS X, that is, not the Honey maps) :

1. I can't put the app into background, as I can do it with the latest version of GLQuake OS X.

2. Currently, I don't see how to tun ON FSAA (antialiasing).

3. I can't drop a MOD folder directly on the app to play the MOD, like what we can do with GLQuake.

What a shame !

Anybody know how to turn ON FSAA with QuakeSpasm OS X ? 

those features don't sound like stock glquake features...

i don't recall glquake having fsaa... did fsaa even exist with it came out? maybe just in it's infancy, but i know it was very resource intensive in those days. 
Necros 
I can confirm and garanty you that FSAA is working on GLQuake OS X (the latest version from Fruitz Of Dojo). It's really a great feature. The ability to put the app to background is great too, as the MOD folder drop on the app.

These features NEED to be implemented in QuakeSpasm ! 
Great ! 
I played a part of one Honey map, and I have a few comments :

1. About the Honey map : CZG, man, you're a genius ! This map is simply crazy ! Awesome ! I'm speechless !

2. About QuakeSpasm : The rendering is really great. The fog is really nice, and the animation is soooo smooth ! It's way much better than what I was accustomed with GLQuake ! If only there was an FSAA option !

oh ok, i thought you were talking about the stock glquake engine. (ie: the executable that comes on the cd).
when you call it 'glquake', most of us are thinking of the original executable. (hence why we call it fitzquake or quakespasm instead of glquake even though both of those engines are based on glquake). 
Barnak 
I just sent a patch to the quakespasm developers adding a cvar to control antialiasing. email me and I can send you a compiled mac app of it, if you want. but we should continue further discussions of quakespasm in the "quakespasm engine" thread so as not to clutter czg's thread. 
The Mist 
If people really really want a progs with a function to disable the fog, it is trivial to implement, but ugh is it really needed? 
No 

The Fog 
No, the fog is reaaaally nice ! I don't want an option to remove it. Actually, I want the best settings for rendering (FSAA, shadows, ...).

Your maps rocks, CZG. You shouldn't stop doing maps, you're a King here ! ;-) 
Barnak 
cant you set FSAA through your graphic card options? 
Czg 
Don't change a thing!!!!

(make more maps though) 
Alloc Problems 
What commands should I use when QuakeSpasm is crashing with some alloc warning ? I suspect I have to increase some memory allocation in the game, but I don't know what... 

-heapsize 256000 should probably solve any problems. 

Necros 
Thanks necros, this is apparently solving the issues I was experiencing with some huge MODs... 
QuakeSpasm And Honey 
I tested a new built of QuakeSpasm (from Ericw) which adds FSAA. I tested it with 4x FSAA on Honey, and everything is BEAUTIFULL ! :-)

The only glitch I noticed yet (which isn't related to the Honey maps) is the sreen tearing caused by the lack of vertical sychro in QuakeSpasm.

But boy is Honey so great ! 

I'm trying to click on your screen shot link but it isn't working. 
Huh.. 
..I've been playing and installing mods and maps for Quake for years, and I almost always read readme's. Am I the only one? 
Nah... Me Too. 
Clever or what? 
Truely Outstanding 
I haven't read the other posts, so I'm probably just repeating what's already been said, but I'll do it anyway, because omg and yeah.

Awesome q1sp experience. One of the best in recent years, hands down. It all comes together nicely, even if it possibly wasn't layed out like this from the beginning. Basically two epic maps in between a simple story/setting and a breeze of refreshing humor that one doesn't seem to come by often in (Quake) maps these days.

The two levels have a strong Alice/Zer/Portal2 vibe for me which I liked a lot. It's always suprising how height, distance and fog can create such highly atmospheric environments so easily. Wouldn't have believed it when looking at them in an editor view or fullbright game with no fog. Apart from a few more filigrane details, much of the effectiveness comes from beams, butresses and other structures high above or far away that appear on the brink of visiblity in the fog. The other architecture has just the right amount of indentation and slanted surfaces to round it off.
Cool start map, too. There have been a few village maps in Quake, but this one has something special to it. Maybe because it was just slapped together for the sake of it?

Gameplay is pretty much great. Many monster encounters set up as events rather than just simple 'populating' of areas. Good challenge on Hard, with appropriate item balance for the most part. Fortunately, the z-aware Ogres are used sparingly and with consideration.
Grenade and rocket switches add a nice touch, a variation from regular shootable buttons that open as you proceed.
I didn't find that many secrets, maybe 3/7 in each map - this could be the downside of the thick fog. Or perhaps I was just too blind. Good there's a fairly high number of them, though.

Progression is okay, but at times it felt to me like there was quite a bit of backtracking or revisiting forced into it, particularly in Saint. I liked how you first descend in Honey with no or hardly any monster encounters. That's what made me feel the Zer vibe (like in the bloodcube temple).

Uh, yeah: crates!!! Not that they make any sense in a cistern or abandoned temple. But the shapes made up for this.

The epilogue bit had me in tears. Maybe I'm idealizing, but it seemed like proper czg humor again (well, the sfw variety at least). The credits were cool as well, though I didn't get all the references. Also, löl you look like Dickie Bennett in Justified?!

Anyway, tl:dr = truely outstanding. Too bad you had to read the whole post nevertheless. Finally, here is a demo of me playing so and so on hard skill and dying ten times and commenting on things not worth mentioning... you can watch it if you have nothing to do, if you're feeling miserable, or not but want to, or whatever. GG 
Maybe I Should Add 
Fuck off (or thank you) for destroying my and other people's ambition to ever make another Quake map. 
Hm 
opposite for me... i can't wait to start mapping again in a few weeks. :) 
Oh!! 
No one has mentioned this afaik but...

The tingle sound is fucking awesome. I really really wish such a thing existed in default Quake. 

negke

I had that exact thought while playing. "Well, I guess I don't need to bother making anymore maps, we're done for this year..." :) 
Played Hard, 100% Kills, 100% Secrets 
I'll keep it short since my late post means that most of this will have been said anyways...

- Unbelievable atmosphere in the two major maps (village was cool as well). It just totally sucks me out of my computer room and into a far away scary place. Quake will never leave my HDD.
- Excellent texture choices. The maps were wonderous and eye filling but never cluttered. Details enhanced and didn't overwhelm.
- I played on Hard for both maps and I shut off the poison first (seemed logical) before turning on the water. I loved both maps hugely but the poison map was simply genius in both construction and gameplay. It has many hazards and looked hard to navigate but it wasn't at all. Fantastic. Even retracing felt fresh and suspensful because who knows what happens after you trigger yet another switch?
- CZG just seems to nail proportions dead on whether its arches, barn beam framing, lifts, rusty wrought iron fencing, machinery, trusses - doesn't matter - it's geometrically spot on. This makes it feel very real and not 'gamey'.
- The secrets were fun and fair (and I had no audio clues on Hard.) Secret hunting makes you examine the map from all angles and these settings were a joy to inspect. I was in no rush.
- Never had ammo or monster problems. It felt balanced. Yes, I died but retrys were succesful - fair and fun - no frustration. There was lots of breath catching time between bouts. Maps eased the player into the atmosphere gently before turning on the combat.
- Ending. Can't think of another more original.
- I remember CZG making a ground shattering episode years ago and it was the botox jab that made Quake refreshed and worthy of your gaming time, keeping SP players loyal despite so many modern titles competing for PC time. This map set feels the same - it raises the bar, not so much with novelty, but with visual and gameplay craft and worthy innovations that show how no other FPS presents imaginative people with a more perfect pallette from which to create wonderful new worlds. 

- CZG just seems to nail proportions dead on whether its arches, barn beam framing, lifts, rusty wrought iron fencing, machinery, trusses - doesn't matter - it's geometrically spot on. This makes it feel very real and not 'gamey'.

This. I always had it in my head that "thin" geometry never looks right in Quake - but these maps have completely kicked that preconception in the balls. 

The tingle sound is fucking awesome. I really really wish such a thing existed in default Quake.

crap. i should have played with headphones on. >_< 
Necros 
you only hear it on easy... 
Negke. 
There's no way you should be put off mapping. Sure these maps are awesome and have a big wow factor, but a lot of your ideas and maps have a similar wow factor (and often WTF factor) on a smaller scale. Believe me, your mapping in particular shows how much potential there is in Quake.

As for the rest of you....seriously as a player, I value all sorts of maps. A bog standard Quakey map doesn't really get overshadowed by these epics, because it's still great in it's own right... 

Here's a couple of lame 99.99% demos for those who have some trouble with the secrets: http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/files/demos/otp_honey100.zip 
Half Way Through 
Got the poison turned off.

Some things:

Didn't shoot a single fiend or spawn yet
Nice infighting
Didn't really get the Ogres with familiars - seemed like they could have been rocket ogres instead.
Fog changes were ok I spose. Kind of reminded me of a horrible night to have a curse.
Metroid key system was clever.
Progression and looping were very well done.
Precision of brushwork... fucking hell.

Great fun so far, agree with Scragbait's comments. 
Oh 
And, this makes me want to map more, not less :) 
Finished 
second map was amazing IMHO (saint), the atmosphere was absolutely stunning. First map was also very nice but not as immersive. 
Oh 
and I have no idea how you pulled off that second map in what is pretty much standard quake. 
Not Standard Quake 
Both maps exceed the usual limits and require Fitz 0.85 at least. 
Xmp2map.jar 
So you didn't use the built in .map saving of whatever the last Ogier version to support the Quake GDK? 
No That One Sucks. 
Besides, any Q1 support in the latest Ogier is broken at best. 
Otp 
yeah I know, and it has fog, but without too much custom tomfoolery (or so it seemed anyway). 
Screens Looks Amazing! 
Great atmosphere. 
Finally Played It Last Night.. 
.. and I cannot add more than what others said already. Really brilliant atmosphere and design, fun gameplay and never boring. Lightning also is very well done. Definitely you are an ace mapper.
I also discovered the limit of my computer (or I may forgot to increaze heapsize to a decent value... though..): i.e I got a lot of choppy areas particularly in the old temple part.
Anyway... that was really 2 good hours of fun, never get lost, never ran out of ammo, never died...
But what the fuck was this ending sequence ??? :) 
Problem 
cannot save nor quick save in darkplaces. I also tried to load maps separately, they load but again cannot save.
The message I get is PRVM_EDICT_NUM: SERVER BAD NUMBER 603 CALLED AT C:538.
any ideas 
Reviewed 
..My Old Pc Could Run It? 
..hey do ya think my valuable PentiumII(best processor ever imho) 350 would manage this map at decent framerate ??

-for your info I can play well even at 2002/2004 games
my pc is modest but godlike optimized and configured by me ! 
Why Don't You Just Try It 

Yes, in the time it took to ask you could have just downloaded it and played. :) 
This Is A Very Good Map 
... even though I have so little game time I haven't finished it yet. 
I´m Sure 
this is the best made out of Quake 1
I´ve ever seen.

Rubicon2´s "A thousand years into the past" is a glimpse of what he did here, especially the Saint One.

I´ve no words for this!!!

Thank You, CZG!!!

(sorry Than, you´re only 2nd..) 
Btw 
sorry for taking so goddamn long, I've been building up to an exam I write this Wednesday. I've played this and Scampie's new release and they were both brilliant, so it is coming. I especially admire the "stacked layout" style of these maps, the layouts are so brilliant and despite the complexity you know where to go - and then you find yourself re-entering a familiar area but from a new angle. The end was good too, since it's a 20 (or 30) year cliche running to beat the boss and save the world. But real review, no more than a week. 
Thank You, CZG! 
Thank you for this feel storm. 
Czg 
oh cool, czg, you are atmospheric god 
Ha 
that sounds so fucking sarcastic 
Lizard 
Awsome. Totaly Awesome 
That Autechre Credits At The End... 
..made me spine chills! 
Har Har 
im confused 
Honey Homage With Only Slight Nausea 
Wow, is it 2013 already?
http://youtu.be/U5sTRO31UCA 

That's a very nice look you've crafted there... makes me want to try it on some of my other favorite maps. 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.