News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Register | Log in
The TrenchBroom Level Editor
Today I am releasing TrenchBroom 1.0 for Windows and Mac OS X. TrenchBroom is a modern cross-platform level editor for Quake.

Features
- True 3D editing, no 2D views required
- High performance renderer with support for huge maps
- Vertex editing with edge and face splitting
- Manipulation of multiple vertices at once (great for trisoup editing)
- Smart clip tool
- Move, rotate and flip brushes and entities
- Precise texture lock for all operations
- Smart entity property editors
- Graphical entity browser with drag and drop support
- Comprehensive texture application and manipulation tools
- Search and filter functions
- Unlimited undo and redo
- Point file support
- Automatic backup
- Support for .def and .fdg files, mods and multiple wad files
- Free (as in beer) and open source (GPLv3)
- Cross platform (Windows, Mac OS X and Linux supported)

Check out a video of TrenchBroom in action here.

You can download the editor here.

If you would like to give feedback, please do that in this thread. If you find a bug or have a feature suggestion, please submit them at the issue tracker.

If you are wondering where the Linux binaries are then sorry, but currently there are none. The Linux version has a few problems which I could not fix before this release. I will get working on those right away so that the Linux version should be available in a couple of weeks, too.

Finally, I would like to thank necros for all his work over the past year. Without his tireless efforts, TrenchBroom would simply not exist. Or it would suck.

Alright, enough of this. Have fun with the editor!
First | Previous | Next | Last
You Need 
To load a separate .wad file for map textures. It doesn't pull these from the quake folders. There is a comprehensive amount of .wad files on quaddicted.com 
MoonKnightFan 
Can't Get It To Start 
The window opens for about a second. I can see it trying to load stuff, then it just shuts down with no error message or anything.

Log file just ends abruptly.

4068 2013-06-26 10:35:38: Renderer info: GeForce 7800 GS/AGP/SSE2/3DNOW! version 2.1.2 from NVIDIA

Corporation
4068 2013-06-26 10:35:38: Depth buffer bits: 16
4068 2013-06-26 10:35:38: Multisampling disabled
4068 2013-06-26 10:35:38: OpenGL instancing disabled
4068 2013-06-26 10:35:38: Loading entity definition file C:\Trenchbroom\Resources\Defs\Quake.fgd
4068 2013-06-26 10:35:38: Loading 'progs/player.mdl' (searching )
4068 2013-06-26 10:35:38: Unable to find MDL 'progs/player.mdl'

(etc, etc....)

4068 2013-06-26 10:35:38: Loading 'progs/g_shot.mdl' (searching )
4068 2013-06-26 10:35:38: Unable to find MDL 'progs/g_shot.mdl'
4068 2013-06-26 10:35:38: Created Face Shader Program
4068 2013-06-26 10:35:38: Created Face.vertsh
4068 2013-06-26 10:35:38: Created Face.fragsh
4068 2013-06-26 10:35:38: Unable to link Face Shader Program, linker output was:

and that's where it ends. 
Version? 
What version are you using?
What operating system are you using?
If you're on Windows, did you install "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package" http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555

Trenchboom is 1.09.224
Windows XP SP3 fully updated
VC++ x86 redistributable 10.0.30319 is installed

Computer is an old Athlon 64 3400+ (nVidia chipset)

I guess I could try on another computer, but this is the one I do all my dev type work on. 
Rick 
What is the GL driver version? It looks like the driver is failing to compile / link the shaders, which may or may not be a driver bug. 

The video driver is really old (2007). I never mess with it because I updated it once and had a lot of problems, so I went back to the old one and have never had any problems since.

That was so long ago that I don't actually remember what the problems were, only that I made a mental note to never screw around with the video driver again. Maybe a new driver wouldn't have the problems. 
Rick 
I didn't ask about video card drivers, because I thought it was obvious and common sense by now that people update their video card drivers. You see the message everywhere now a days. 
Rick 
Sorry about that. The Face shader which is failing on your system is quite complex and might therefore cause these problems. However eithout an error message I have nothing to go on to fix it. If you're willing, We could try to pinpoint the problem by removing functionality though. Write me at kristian.duske@gmail.com if you want to try this. 

Loving this so far. :) My biggest gripe is that I don't know all the Quake entity key/values and Trenchboom doesn't list them (either in the documentation or in the Entity tab). Seems pretty hard to find that info on the net too. :) I ended up opening up GTKRadiant, placing entities and seeing what it's descriptions say. Any chance of having better entity descriptions/more options in the Entity Properties Tab? 
The Happy Friar 
That feature is coming, but the author of Trenchbroom is on vacation right now.

But, if you can find 100 people to start using TrenchBroom, and get 100 websites to start praising TrenchBroom, then I think the author will come home early from vacation and implement that feature ASAP. ;) 
I'm Not On Vacation 
I wish! 
Thank God 
Hey, I love you for this. No really, I LOVE you.
Keep it up :) 

Google quake map specs and also google worldcraft guide. Both are what I use for mapping. Or alternatively download my map q-deck because it was made entirely in trench and I included the source :) 
Here's The Links 
Thanks For The Nice Words, Guys. 

Friar 
just open the .fgd or .def file included in the download and search the entity you need. Should be a lot quicker than opening another editor at the same time! 

I just found that out later today. I was looking to see if I could add that info to the .fgd and saw it was already there. What would be useful is a Windows help file with all the entity info, similar to Doom 3's script reference help file. 
Yeah 
such things are planned. 
Select A Subdirectory Within Your Quak Direction To Search For.. 
In the map properties option, the 'Select a subdirectory' spot there are no options.

I feel like this is a very simple thing to fix but I'm blind. 
Tree 
Do you have the path to Quake set up correctly in View->Preferences? 

I like it!

some crashes on win32 though.

*when i click on the titlebar symbol (accidentaly)

*clipper sometimes 

if you get any errors, it helps to track them if you submit them on github:
https://github.com/kduske/TrenchBroom/issues?direction=desc&sort=updated&state=open 
Rudl 
There's much improved version that I still haven't finished. If you would like to try it out, send me an email at kristian.duske@gmail.com. 

@necros I'll report the errors :)

Anyway those are not really showstoppers and It is a joy to work with trenchbroom ;)

@SleepwalkR Thanks :)you got mail 
This Is Really Cool. 
I only wish I'd seen this thread five months ago.

At first I was frustrated because it doesn't work like radiant, but after a few sesssions I'm getting into the paradigm of TB a little better.

I found a funny bug, not a showstopper but it did cause me to lose a few minutes' work: Open a new map, make a few random brushes, but don't save the map. Quit Trenchbroom - a dialog box will come up asking me if I want to save changes to unnamed1 - only problem is, nothing happens when I click any of the dialog box options of "cancel," "no," or "yes." So I am just stuck there and have to force quit the process.

After reading the whole thread, it sounds like this could be a bug in the backend stuff (wxwidgets, gtk?) rather than TB itself.

Early 08 Macbook Pro with 8600M, OS X 10.6.8. 
It's A Known Problem With WxWidgets 

The State Of TrenchBroom 
I just wanted to let everyone know what's going on with TB lately and why there haven't been any updates for a while.

The currently released version is written in C++ and based on wxWidgets, a cross-platform GUI toolkit. I have written this version in quite a hurry without knowing either C++ or wxWidgets too well, and unfortunately it shows. There are all kinds of hacks and shortcuts in the code that make it hard to maintain. The worst effect of this is that whenever I touch something to add a new feature or fix a bug, I often get new bugs and problems.

This is the case with the current codebase of the next release (TB 1.1), which doesn't work properly on Windows (can't use arrow keys) and has a lot of problems on Linux as well. I would like to fix the Windows bugs and release this version, but it has been quite difficult to track them down, so it might take a while (or not happen at all - read on).

At the same time I have started over completely from scratch. This new codebase is much better structured and easier to maintain. It will become TB 2.0 and it will have (almost) all of the features of the current 1.1 codebase. On top of that it will support multiple games (probably Hexen2 and Quake2 out of the box, with Quake3 and Half Life support coming later). Also, I'm making sure that this version will work fine on all three major platforms from that start. This version is coming along well, but it will be several months until it's ready for release.

So, as you can see, I have been silently working on TB, but I can't say when the next release is going to happen, or what it will entail. I'll try to get the 1.1. release out of the door so that you can keep using TB until 2.0 is ready, but I can't promise anything. 
Sounds Great 

Sweet. We may see a resurgence of maps for other games! 
Oooh 
You need any more people to test on linux?

I eventually got TB working on my laptop some time ago, but various bugs and incompatibilities with my particular ageing machine made it a bit of a chore to use tbh. I'm using my desktop a bit more often now though.

Out of curiosity, what is your main/favourite programming language? You said you don't know C++ that well, but you managed to write a Quake editor :) 
By Now It's C++ 
Until three years ago, I mostly used Java. Then I switched to Objective-C to write TB, and about 1.5 years ago I started learning C++ in order to make TB portable to other platforms. C++ is however quite different from purely OO languages like Objective-C and Java because it has meta programming facilities. Because of that and the manual memory management it requires, I find C++ quite difficult to learn. I guess TB 1 was my testbed, and now that I know a bit more about the language, I hope that TB 2 will be better. 
Great News On TB2.0 
Thanks for the update... just one request: Instead of targeting other more or less dead games, how about support for Xonotic, Warsow etc.? 
Once Multi Game Support Is Done 
you are free to add support for these games, or find someone who will ;-) 
Other Games Are No More Dead Then Quake... 
and id-based .map format is pretty similar across all their .map tech.

A neat feature would be to use GTKRadiant game info in TB to support games.

But, glad to hear you're still plugging away at it! Looking forward to TB 2.0! 
Committed To Making A Proper Map With This Now 
appreciated you aren't in the place to be implementing insignificant little suggestions at the moment with the rebuild going on. but here's one anyway (feel free to shoot it down if it's just me being really lazy)

it would be nice if the clip tool remembered the most recent previously used 'mode'. case in point, if you use it to split a brush in two without deleting anything, with this functionality you wouldn't need to tab twice each time you wanted to repeat the operation. normally when i use the split function i use it multiple times in succession (eg. for cutting up a floor in order to lower part of it) 
Agree 
This would be handy. Small time savers like this can add up to big ones, especially with something as fundamental as clipping. 
Please Add It To The Issue Tracker 
Otherwise it will get lost. 
Will Do 
just making sure it wasn't a completely retarded idea first. wouldn't want to clog the tracker up otherwise! 

is the broken transparent textures a known bug or is it only for some video cards? (nvidia 250gts) 
Known Problem 
It's not really a bug, though. It sometimes happens when there are intersecting transparent polys. 

i meant how transparent brushes aren't actually transparent, but selected brushes have their faces drawn and models are always visible through them. 
I Don't Understand 
Can you show me a screenshot? 

http://mobile.sheridanc.on.ca/~jonescor/temp/unselected.jpg
liquids occluding unselected brush

http://mobile.sheridanc.on.ca/~jonescor/temp/selected.jpg
selected brush's faces being drawn through liquid brushes.

http://mobile.sheridanc.on.ca/~jonescor/temp/model1.jpg
model is always drawn over liquids

http://mobile.sheridanc.on.ca/~jonescor/temp/model2.jpg
even though it is behind them 
Its Useful 
in many cases. There when i need to isolate stuff i'm using the view options - with models for example.
In other cases, like multiple water brushes fighting with each other, it can get confusing quickly. 

oh, is this intentional??? i thought it was just bad drawn order. 
Not Intentional 
It is bad draw order, and I don't really know how to fix it. I'll have to think about it. Can you please submit a bug report? 

sure. i've just been away from TB for so long that I didn't know if it was known or not. :) 
I Don't Get That Bad Draw Order. 
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/5bm9.jpg/

You can see that I have the same entity and a brush selected, it all looks like I'd expect it to.

ATI 3850, Catylist 13.4, Win XP-32.

Didn't happen in the 12.x driver series either. 
It's More Or Less Random 
necros, I'll look into it, and if you are saying that you're spending a bit more time with the editor now, that would make me quite happy ;-)

Happy Friar, I don't think the problem depends on the graphics adapter. It's just that sometimes the faces will be sorted correctly and sometimes they won't. It depends on where the camera is and where you're looking.

That said, I could be wrong and maybe I have broken something. 

doesn't look random to me. i've never seen it work. :)

however, even though it is being drawn in the right order for happy friar, the brushes are not actually transparent in his screenshot either. 
Never Seen It Work? 
Which Version are you using, anyway? 

About says 1.1.0, build 317 
Is There A Seperate Transparency Tag? 
I thought if you use Lava (water, etc) it automatically applies a transparency flag. I tried it again with a sky/water on top and water/pentagram on bottom, still never shows through.

Version 1.0.9, build 224. Didn't have a new one last I checked. Nothing newer on the TB website. 
The 1.1.0 Release Is Beta 
Necros, does 1.0.9 work for you? 

Yes, sorry for the confusion. :( 
Ok, So It's Only Broken In 1.1.0 

Oldschool Solution? 
Use 3 layers of screendoor + opaque. 
Can't Seem To Run This 
on my brand new Surface Pro. No idea why, I click the icon and it simply doesn't load. No error messages or anything. 
That's A Shame... 
But I can't really do much about it right now. Last time I checked it ran fine in Windows 8. 

Does this have any dependencies on other things I should know of (like .net framework or anything similar)?

I need to get this to work because it's likely going to be my main way of working for a while. 
Fifth 

Is it possibly because the surface is 64 bit? 
If It Doesn't Support 32 Bit, Then Maybe 
The TB builds I'm publishing are 32 bit. 64bit builds should not be a problem. Can you test whether the SF Pro runs 32bit binaries? 

Well it runs everything I have used so far, including a really old copy of Paintshop Pro that I have installed on every box I have ever owned since 1997. ;)

The surface also is only compatible with DirectQ from all the quake engines I have tried. (literally, something to do with the touchscreen messing up the controls in other engines) 
Dependancy Scanner 
So I decided to download a dependancy scanner to see if I am missing something.
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/program-won-t-open-try-this-free-download-707381

According to the program Dependancy Walker the editor is trying to run something called IESHIMS.DLL... 

"Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.
Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module."

Had a look to see which things are highlighted and they are -
SHLWAPI.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-SYNCH-L1-1-0.DLL
SHCORE.DLL
IEFRAME.DLL

But I don't suppose that would help you massively. Weirdly, I have found IESHIMS.DLL and I can't see any reason why it is showing up as a problem. 
No Idea 
Not even why TB would try to load those. Probably something else that depends on them. Sorry! 

Looks like they're dependencies of other dll files that TB uses. I will run the profiler on dependency walker and also run process monitor and see if I can find anything there.

This is a real bummer though, my old computer died literally days ago and the surface is my replacement computer. 

PSA just in case: Don't download dll files from random websites. Doing so is a security risk! 

I'm not going to be downloading random .dll files any time soon so don't worry about that.

I think it's something to do with running 64bit windows 8, it'd be good if someone else running 64bit could confirm this though. 
I'll Have A Look 
When I get back to my home pc in a couple of days. 

A friend of mine has 64bit windows 8, it works on his machine.

This is quite annoying. Of all the programs that I use this is one of the ones that I really need to work. Damnit. 
Fixed... 
Seems like the default drivers (and even the updated ones through windows update) are no good for running TB.

Had to go to intels website and download the latest drivers manually (the auto-update wont allow me to download them). 

If in doubt, update your drivers. Seems to be the TB rule of thumb! 
Auto-update 
Is usually crap for Windows regarding hardware. They can be years off of the curve if they bother at all. I had a laptop that used a 2007 update that they never had in their update database. 
I Remember 
One update that partially disabled my laptop. Had to download the fixed update on another machine and use a pen drive to fix it. 
Lights 
Having a slight issue with using this editor. When I spawn in a light, there's no obvious way to control the radius/strength of the light fixture. When I compiled the map, the entire room was made super duper bright. Is there some flag i'm supposed to set? I think i'm missing something. 

you need to add a 'light' key to the light entity and give it a numerical value, something like 100.

(the editor isn't very friendly to people new to Quake editing when it comes to the entities and some of the properties they may need or use. It's a work in progress)

also, make sure when you compile, you also run a light compiler. qbsp only generates the polygonal hulls of the map, you also need to run a light compiler on the bsp to generate the lightmap.

http://quakewiki.org/wiki/Getting_Started_Mapping may be of help if you are still confused! 
Or Cheat... 
I used Darkplaces with RT shadows. :) 
RE: Lights 
I already know about the lightmaps generator, I just needed to know about what key to put in, thanks. 
Compiling 
These are Bengt's tools: http://user.tninet.se/~xir870k/

Which are still the standard for q1 compiling; very dependable and the tool tips document on that page is full of useful information.

There's also Tyrann's tools, which are more modern / experimental and support detail brushes (more detail without longer vis times): http://www.disenchant.net/ 
I Had The Same Question A Bit Ago... 
Here's two sites given to me in this thread with all the info about the Quake entities:
http://www.quakewiki.net/archives/worldcraft/entity/standard/standard.shtm
http://www.gamers.org/dEngine/quake/QDP/qmapspec.html 
Smart Editor? 
I always notice that when i'm using Trenchbroom, there's the words "Smart Editor Not Availabe" on the window. Why is this? 
Smart Editors 
The Smart editors are a set of specialized editors for entity properties. Currently, the only smart editors available are the spawnflags editor and the color editor, which is shown if you select a spawnflags property or a color property, respectively.

There are plans for more smart editors for properties such as angle, angles, mangle and so forth, but these are currently not implemented. The editor shows the "not available" message when you select a property for which no smart editor is available. 
Awesome Editor 
Can't stop playing around with it. Good job! I'm even considering dropping Radiant for Quake. There's only one thing I can't figure out. In Radiant, you have 2d views which I use extensively for clipping complex curves.

Trenchbroom doesn't have that and without it, I'm kinda lost on how to do it. It does show the coordinates but I'm really missing the grid. There's probably a viable technique for this but so far I haven't found it.

To illustrate my point and make my question easier:

http://kristianduske.com/trenchbroom/docs/images/view_management_normal.jpg

How would one go about creating that arch brushwork in Trenchbroom? 
That Really Is A Question For The Users, But 
I'd use the 3D clip tool and the vertex tool for this. It really does require some practice to create this kind of architecture in 3D, but it works. One thing that is really different from Radiant et. al. is that in TB, you have to move the camera around a lot.

Maybe necros and others can shed some light... in the long run, I hope someone will get around to making a bunch of tutorials for TB. 
Maybe You Could Add A 2D View To Make Such Editing Easier? 
As in snap to a fixed orthogonal axis and have a non-perspective view.

;P 

Not sure if this was reported, but the editor crashes if you snap vertices and then try to move them around. 
Arches 
Hit 'C' to activate the clipping tool, you can then place up to three point to define the clipping plane.

V activate vertex manipulation, although it can cause microleaks if used as structural stuff and you don't use the snap to vertices action.

Use Tab to lock movement to X or Y axis, and hold Alt to switch to vertical Z axis movement.

With those you can easily make complex geometry fairly quickly.

Trenchbroom allows for much more freeform brushwork.

Which is where the grid mindset becomes hard to shake off. I've been using the editor for months now and still find myself constrained by the habit of thinking in front/sides/top grid terms.

It is worth unlearning that :) 
Skacky 
Could you create an issue on github? Please also add steps to reproduce. Thanks. 

Done. It looks like this doesn't always happen, though. I've given more information about that in the issue entry. 

Good and quick replies, thank you all. It was more a question in general. I'm having some difficulties finding the right words in English. Clipping and free form brush work is one thing, controlling the coordinates is another.

I made this in Radiant:

http://imgur.com/60ZuxN2

I was only able to do this by using some math in determining the grid coordinates to make all the curves out of brushes. That's something, as far as I'm aware, that I cannot do in Trenchbroom. I hope this makes sense.

Anyway, I can always build those parts in Radiant and convert to them Quake and import it in Trenchbroom. 
Ah 
Although 
It looks like you're already basing your stuff off it. 
So... 
would it be helpful if you could place a grid plane to help you find the proper coordinates? Is the problem that you can only see the grid where it is already projected onto brushes? 
I Made Deck 
entirely in TB and I managed to get a lot of curve action going on. You can still apply a 2d grid mindset to working 3d.

You can make any of those shapes shown there in TB quite easily, you can just point the cam directly at it and use brush clipping with the grid enabled to get the same results.

The only thing I wasn't able to figure out was making curved pipes, I'm sure it can be done but I couldn't manage to figure it out. Someone should just make a bunch of prefab shapes to be honest. 
FifthElephant 
You mean a curved pipe like that? http://imgur.com/AQ7eRxa

I did this in TrenchBroom with the help of the grid. Granted, it's not the most curvy thing ever, but it gets the job done. :p 
Looks Nice 
... originally I was going to have my deck map have pipes leading into the different slime pits. but I scrapped the idea after several failed attempts at getting the pipe-work done (though there are some quite primitive pipes in the map in the final release). 
Yeah 
The CZG tutorial depends on being able to scale brushes as a whole rather than adjust faces alone.

I've got a map full of right angled pipes, should probably figure out a decent curved pipe construction method.

I'm guessing you used rotation, clip and snap vertices skacky? 

Yup. I didn't use the snap vertices command since it's glitchy for me, but I did use vertex editing. 

Thanks for the link Ijed. Different math, but the same system.

I've been a dumbass since I didn't realise a couple of things in Trenchbroom. But I do now. Tada!

http://imgur.com/jMleUOh

So this will be my editor of choice for Quake. Can't wait to start making maps.

Btw, I do miss a brush merge option but I see it's already on the list. 

everyone has said it better than me already. :)
I will say that it is a little bit awkward doing some brush operations without a 2d grid.

placement within the map coordinate is difficult to gauge, for example. i often put down point entities at the +- 4096 mark so I can keep track of where I am.

I have yet to start a map from scratch in TB, but i suspect the lack of a easily visible global coordinate system would be annoying. 

Personally I open my map with worldcraft to see if it's near the boundaries or not. It's also useful to see if I've made some bad manipulations. Now that I think about it, an error report window would be handy. 

error reporting is definitely planned. i think i'd just like some extra visualization stuff like being able to see '0 0 0' as well as the boundaries (or even arbitrary boundaries to help me keep a sense of place relative to the map origin). 
Necros 4 President 
Necros said what I didn't manage to phrase correctly. I take it this would be helpfull then:

would it be helpful if you could place a grid plane to help you find the proper coordinates? Is the problem that you can only see the grid where it is already projected onto brushes?
Unreal Ed 
had a grid plane that ran through its 3d view that also showed you the edge boundaries. Maybe a toggle version of this would suffice? 
Yeah! 

Yeah 
I think this would come under a general 'helper objects' thing. Maybe including other stuff as well, like a tape measure. 
Tape Measure 
That's on my todo list along with a placeable grid. 
Cool 
I sometimes find myself applying different textures in order to measure things. 
Crashing While Using Vertex Tool 
I moved my trenchbroom folder to my laptop so I can map during my studies' pasttimes, but whenever I try to use the Vertex tool, a message comes up saying an error has occured, and if I choose "ignore" the map just deletes itself and I cannot make a brush or spawn an entity. 
Daya 
Check the system requirements stated on TBs download page.
Had the same problem, my hardware (gfx-card) was just too old to cope with OpenGL 2.1.
And you need to have the VisualC++ package installed, when running it under Windows. :) 
Try Playing With The Instancing Option In The Preferences 
Report back if it doesn't help! 
Forcing OpenGL Off Worked 
Thanks SleepwalkR! 
TrenchBroom 1.1.0 Released 
Changelog:
- Keyboard customization
- Restrict to X or Y axis when moving objects
- Limit face points to integer coordinates
- New duplication options (drag to duplicate and duplicate in specific direction)
- New information bar at top of 3D view
- Moved search field to information bar
- Improved precision and stability of vertex tool
- Select objects by line number
- Brush resizing feels more natural and snaps more accurately
- Autosave when the applicaton exits
- More brush filtering options
- Better performance for view filters
- Clip tool remembers last clip side
- Clip tool adds new brushes to parent entities of clipped brushes
- Clipped brushes remain selected after deactivating the clip tool
- Double click on brush selects all brushes belonging to the containing entity
- Shift + double click on brush to select all of its faces
- Paint selection
- Show entity angle in 3D view
- Camera tracks for point file navigation and center on selection
- Show compass in 3D view
- Buttons for texture flipping in face inspector
- Hotkeys to activate inspector tabs
- Smooth camera navigation with WASD keys
- Customizable texture browser icon size
- Render skip / clip / hint / trigger and liquid brushes semi-transparently
- Numerous bug fixes

Download: http://kristianduske.com/trenchbroom/downloads.php 
220 .map Support? 
Wasn't that on the 1.10 todo list? ;) 
I See 
Even more K÷lsch for you!
Thank you Sleepy, you are awesome! 

Can't get this to work... bloody drivers!! 
What's Happening? 

I click it and it says "a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

Probably would be worth me rolling back the drivers and reinstalling. 
Could You Please Create An Issue Report On Github 
With hw specs, windows and driver versions? Thanks! 

I will when I get home from work sure 
Done... 
hope it helps. I have the next few weeks off work, I might try and reformat my machine and freshly install the latest drivers. I need to try this new version, and hopefully make something. 
Yeah 
As I wrote in the issue, I can't support the Surface as I don't have access to one. The latest build works in my Windows 8 VM, so I guess it's a driver issue. 
Very Likely 
It doesn't come up with any insightful error messages either cause windows has always been a piece of crap in that regard.

It won't be a huge bother to reformat probably, I keep my machines fairly stock most of the time. 
TrenchBroom 1.1.1 
Changes
- More natural snapping when resizing brushes
- Remove limit on maximum mip texture dimensions
- Don't fall back to software renderer on OS X

Download: http://kristianduske.com/trenchbroom/downloads.php 
Finally Had A Chance To Test 
sadly I'm using this on the old decrepit laptop that I used to make my first TB map. BUT, it does run TB and this one works too.

I love the changes you've made to this version, I especially love how the entities are now linked showing you what is connected to what (in terms of what it triggers). This is a very UnrealED change that I greatly appreciate.

I would love to see some of the worldcraft texture features (like align to floor and the auto-align tools etc), plus obviously 220 support (more accurate texture mapping ftw).

I will dabble in some map making soon, keep up the good work Sleepy! 
Oh Yeah... 
and thank god you added the texture viewer zoom options. That is a god send! 
Glad You Like It! 

Groups And Instances 
Hi there, nice job with the editor. I'm thinking it is possible to make a group of brushes and turn ON the instance mode so if I'll change something in one instance it will change in all other instances of this group. Saving such groups to files would be neat :) 
Instancing Is On The Todo List 
But I still haven't figured out how to make it work well. I have some ideas, but it'll take a while. 
Dropping In To Say AWESOME Again 
Just dropping by again and snagged the latest update. Much appreciated! I love this tool and its made my willingness for making maps in quake2 rejuvenated. I might have missed it but was there a request ever for colored lights / general lighting previews with this tool?

Either way keep on with the great work! 
Quake 2 / Lighting 
Quake 2 support is already being worked on for TB 2.0. It's coming along nicely, but it will take a while as 2.0 is a complete rewrite.

Lighting preview has of course been suggested by quite a few people, but it's hard to get right and there are more pressing issues right now. Meaning, it's on my to do list, but not with a very high priority right now. 
Surface Pro + TB 
Got it to work (dunno how long for), using driver version 9.17.10.2867 from 05/12/2012.

This was from going to settings and "refreshing" the system, not a complete reformat.

There's definitely some driver issues with the surface pro. 
I Think. 
It may be a good idea to turn off GL by default, or at least externally. This seems to be causing a lot of the problems I am experiencing with TB and my Surface Pro.

If I try to use the vertex manipulation tool while opengl instancing is active I get this lovely crash -

http://imgur.com/ovOWV01 
Yeah 
GL instancing is more hassle than it's worth and will be gone from 2.0 anyway. 
Looking For Help 
I'm looking for someone to help me out with some icons for TrenchBroom's UI. I need about 10 icons:

Preferences (32x32)
Game Setup
View Setup
Mouse Setup
Keyboard Setup

Various (16x16)
Add
Remove
Path
Save
Delete

I would describe the style as "flat and reduced". Does anyone want to help out? I'll warn you right now that I'm picky ;-) 
Edit 
For the "various" icons, I also need an "Edit" icon. 
Flat And Reduced 
You mean something among these lines?

http://mashable.com/2010/06/17/minimalist-icon-sets/ 
Ideas 
Game Setup - don't really know what to put here
View Setup - A widescreen computer monitor
Mouse Setup - A stylized mouse seen from above without any rotation, e.g. the buttons point up
Keyboard - A stylized keyboard seen from above without any rotation.

Add - a plus sign
Remove - a minus sign
Path - don't know
Save - a flopyy disk of course ;-)
Delete - a trash can? 

since it's gpl you could just pick from the many free icon sets. I had good experiences with iconfinder.com 

Some from that link above.
I love drawing these things, but then again, why reinvent the wheel every time?

http://somerandomdude.com/work/open-iconic/
http://www.gentleface.com/free_icon_set.html
http://www.brightmix.com/blog/more-icons-in-the-brightmix-icon-set-free-for-all/

They should all have compatible licenses afaik. 
Etaryt 

wxWidgets 3.0 is out now, wasn't there some issues where you waited for it? 
Oh Thanks 
for the update! That's great news. I was already using wxWidgets 2.9.5 which resolved many of the issues I was having. 
How Do I Compile The Maps I Made With Trenchbroom? 

Compiling Tutorials 
@spiney 
thanks for those tutorials, but I already figured it out. 
Sorry To Bother... 
...But I'm having a bit of an issure with the light entity in trenchbroom.
I want to make a lighting affect like this: http://i.imgur.com/m1EbAhU.jpg
But I get this: http://i.imgur.com/hagirQu.jpg
Any idea how to fix this? 
Light Keys 
Try going into the light entity and click the plus sign, then name the key "wait" or "delay" without the quote marks. And change the values a bit.

Try wait 5, delay 0 and light 500. That might make a bright light with a small radius. 
Great! 
It worked! but I'm wondering how I'm supposed to get lighting styles in trenchbroom. (this might be the last time i'd bother asking here for today.) 
Experimentation 
is key. A lot of the compilers will come with info in readme files on different settings you can add to light entities.
That's how I found out that setting. Make a few different test maps too, nothing beats testing your ideas for different results. 
@Fith 
Nvm, I just found out how to do it, but thanks anyway! 
Problem Is 
TB doesn't show the values to configure the entities. Open up the source file, either .def or .fgd and it will list how to configure everything. 
Also Try Delay 5 
Personally I think delay 0 has way too much "reach", it just goes forever. I try to use only one or two in a given area, mostly for fill lighting.

Here is some pretty good info on Quake lighting:

http://shoresofnis.wordpress.com/guides/lighting-basics/ 
Delay 0 
is the default light setting. You must be thinking of something else. 
You're Right 
I was thinking about delay 1.

I guess I wasn't yet completely awake. 
Wow 
If only we had this 16 years ago. 
Splash Screen 
Since you've got a Modern Quake Level Editor, Maybe a Modern Logo/Splash could work. It would go perfect on T-shirts to generate awareness and funds. Appeals to the New Gen Level Makers?

http://i43.tinypic.com/rml5xv.png
let me know if you like it? 
It's Too Difficult 
To read. It also looks like you've got two seperate logos next to each other. 
T-Shirt Design 
http://i44.tinypic.com/2ldxd74.png (from my previous post) 
Ok 
That does look cool 
Nice Design 
The broom part looks a little out of place though. I'd also drop the texture and outer glow personally. 

Torch Broom? 

ehh, as long as it goes away on it's own when the editor's loaded. 
I'm Making Something 
Breezeep 
Cool! But if you want more feedback, it's best to post screenshots in the "Screenshots & Betas" thread. 
@SleepwalkR 
Thanks! I'm glad you like it so far! 
When Is The Next Update Coming? 

Long Time 
The 1.1 branch is not getting updated anymore unless there are serious problems with it, and the 2.0 branch is still under heavy development and it will be a long time until that gets published.

Why? 
@SleepwalkR 
I was just wondering... 
@SleepwalkR 
Any sweeping changes for the user with 2.0 or is it purely a rewiring of the internals? 
Hopefully 220 Map Support ;) 
I need that improved texture alignment! ;)

Also, I am coming up against problems with TB atm where anytime I try and place an entity it comes up with this -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e65l532v85f6blr/Screenshot%202013-12-22%2015.08.44.png

I click ignore and carry on but it's a pain all the same. 
Lots Of Things Will Be Improved 
It's really too much to list right now, but most importantly TB2 will have support for other games than Quake. 
Fifth 
Please provide a reproducible test case. 
Ve Got A Few As Well 
That I've been meaning to post.

The most interesting one seems to be having a selection out of view, which causes a cascade error message which continues even when closing the editor itself and has to be closed from the OS.

I believe this is down to map size though.

Will post it when I get near a PC. 
SW... 
it happens every time I enter the entity menu. Dunno if it's a compatibility thing or the build I'm using but it happens every time. I'm using build 368. 
You Mean The Context Menu? 

Yep. 
just click an entity and dragging into the work area seems to produce the pop up error. 
What? 
So the entity browser, or more precisely, dragging entities from there to the 3D view is the problem rather than the context (right click) menu in the 3D view? 
Sorry, Im Being A Fool 
Dragging the entities from the bar on the right into the 3d workspace is causing the pop up error message. Like I said, I click ignore and I can still work, but the pop up is a nuisance. 

Using right click does not produce an error. 
5th 
Post on the board, it's right there in the header! 
Right 
I'm already aware of that problem, I will fix it in TB2. 

As a general warning, be wary of clicking ignore. While you may be able to continue using the editor, behind the scenes some things may have stopped working or processes within the editor may not have completed successfully. I would recommend saving to a new filename and restarting the editor to be safe. 

well since that happens upon every click of the window pane and every entity dragged into the work space that would take forever. Not had any problems with the maps other than some wandering vertices (which, can I say, is the biggest issue I seem to have in general, I like to throw down a lot of brushes in between tests and having to go back and redo entire areas due to wandering vertices makes me not want to map). 
Fifth 
Make sure to enable the "force integer plane points" option in the map properties. The other problem is likely related to Windows 8 or your Surface tablet, but I'll try to fix it for TB 2. Or you could just use the context menu to create entities instead of dragging them from the palette. 
SleepwalkR 
Win7 has that issue too. 
Yeah... 
I'll persevere. I clicked force integer plane points after I went back and corrected everything. I thought this caused problems though?? 
No, It's The Other Way Round 
Not having integer coords causes problems. 
Wait... 
why is this not default?! 
It's A Long Story 
but it will be different in TB2, trust me. This has caused too many problems for too many people. 
Yeah 
It's a bugbear. With it on there's less precision, with it off you can produce bad geometry. I turned it off, then bound 'snap verticies' to the space bar and hit that whenever I'm vertex editing brushwork. 
Compiling On A Mac 
First off, add me to the chorus of folks praising this editor. Even more mind-blowing is that it runs Mac-native -- thanks!

Anyway, I wanted to know if there were any Mac GUI compiling tools out there, a la Necros' work? Yes, I have TyrUtils (for which I'm grateful), but I just feel a little dirty using Terminal ;) . For that matter, is there any chance of in-editor compiling arriving with TB 2? 
Thanks 
To answer your questions, there is nothing like necros' tool for OS X, and yes, in-editor compiling is on my todo list. 
Compiling On A Mac 
Huh, I wasn't aware of a Mac port for Necros' compiler. Actually, I can only find the Windows version; could you (or anybody, really) post a URL to the OS X file? 
I Think He Might Mean 
that there is literally nothing for the Mac OSX that is like Necros' compiler. 
Yup 
What drew says, only necros' tool is not a compiler but rather a compiler frontend. 
Compiling On A Mac 
Sorry, I misunderstood. TyrUtils for the time being it is, then. Thanks again! 
Rebindable Mouse Buttons 
would be a feature I request. mouse 2 bringing up the entity menu thing is annoying me because it's also the move view button and the menu pops up all the time. I'd prefer to have the menu be the alt key or mouse 3 perhaps. 
It Should Only Popup Up 
if you didn't move the mouse in between mouse down and mouse up. Does it pop up regardless of whether you moved the mouse? 
Maybe 
I have a problem with the mouse? 
Turns Out My Mouse Is Garbage... 
I don't have good luck with hardware, I don't know if this shows. 
Haha ;-) 
That's bad for you but good for me I guess - one less bug to fix. 

Buy a Logitech. 
I Have A Logitech... 
G400, and it is great. But as I am on the surface I tend to use the Cerulian keyboard/mouse combo thing I have. I'm looking to replace the keyboard with a type surface 2 as the keyboard I have is also garbage (but with only 1 usb port on the surface I needed an all in one thing, luckily I just bought a usb hub).
At some point I am going to get a proper desktop PC again I think, looking to get some evil genius set up involving several monitors and an all-black scheme (and fulfilling my dreams of owning a das keyboard). 

I really cannot see myself dropping so much on such a keyboard. And I'm the kind of guy who would drop lots of cash on a keyboard too. 
Heh 
I have two of those Pfu keyboards. I've been using one of them for almost 15 years. The other is stored in a closet in case the first one ever breaks. Built like a tank. 
Actually 
The ones I have are the Happy Hacking Lite 2 which are much less expensive than the one in mfx's link. Still not cheap though. 

For $260? Yeah, it BETTER be built like a tank. 
Well 
More like $70 for the Lite 2. Still quite a bit for a keyboard, then again, I've been using it non-stop for 15 years. The other computer in the house generally needs a keyboard replacement every year or two, so it probably all evens out in the end. 
Haha 
I just buy a clean refurbished one every year at a thrift store for a buck or 2. Most haven't ever been been out of their wrapping.

And I swear, somehow cheap keyboards type better. 

Trenchbroom EverQuest?? 
I Like The Selection Feature 
It's basically selection brushes, but it's rendered differently and it seems a bit more useful like this. 
Arrow Keys 
I can't seem to make them work for moving around in the 3D view. I found where to change this in the preferences but it just doesn't seem to take. It shows up, down, left and right as the keys but they do nothing.

I don't like the defaults at all, even at maximum speed cranking the scroll wheel is tedious and my finger starts to hurt after a while. For some reason I find the middle mouse button awkward to use. 
You Can Use WASD, Too 
Also, what are you trying to do with the Arrow keys? What OS are you on? Which version of TB? 

Windows 7
Mouse is a plain old Logitech M100, $10 at Walmart.

I just downloaded TrenchBroom today (and the VC runtime). It says it's version 1.1.1 Build 368. I had tried it last year on a different computer but it wouldn't work with the video card in that computer. This one is a GeForce 210 and display seems fine.

I just want to drive around in the 3D view the same way as in Worldcraft and Netradiant, arrows move forward and back and strafe right/left. Aim with mouse. Just like Quake :)

I was also having problems such as clicking on parts of the interface didn't do anything and the arrow keys wanted to act like the Tab key.

I maybe messed something up so I deleted the TrenchBroom registry key and I'll start all over. 
That's Odd 
Please try if the WASD keys work after you deleted the registry key. Also make sure that the 3D view has focus when you try to move around. Finally, TB doesn't have a property flythrough mode, i.e., you cannot use the mouse to aim while moving around with WASD, but you can right drag to emulate that. 
WASD 
is working now, but I never did like using them as controls. 
Arrows Still Don't Work 
I tried changing the wasd keys to the arrow keys, but couldn't get them to work correctly. What's weird is that they would work if the menu was popped up, otherwise nothing.

Also, why is it that none of the other actions that used the arrow keys were conflicting until I set the arrow keys as movement keys. That was kind of strange. 
That's Because The Arrow Keys Are Context Dependent 

Everquest 
uses Voxelfarm
http://voxelfarm.com

Author seems to be playing with editing methods from time to time. 
So It Can't Actually Be Done? 
I removed all the conflicts and had the arrow keys used only for camera movement and it wouldn't work.

So it can't actually be done even though it looks like it's set up correctly in Preferences? 
It Should Work 
if it doesn't it's a bug. You can file a bug report on github, and if it's a quick fix I'll release an update. 
Partially Transparent Textures { 
Sleep, how do I make these usable?

I remember you said the texture name can be forced by enclosing it in "" qoutes - did you mean doing this using a find and replace in Notepad++?

Will Trenchbroom respect the change?

Will it revert it to none-quoted texture names if reopened?

Will I need to redo the find and replace if duplicating brushes with their textures named in such a fashion?

All stuff I can find out by experimenting, just haven't got around to it yet and a bit of extra info would help.

Cheers 
There's No Special Support For It In TB1 
If it's really important, I'll try to hack it into the map parser, which is the source of the problem. And no, if you save it the map, it will discard all the double quotes. 
Ok 
So I can do one changeover as a test and then only worry about it for proper testing builds.

I think I can live with that for now, it's pretty easy to run a find and replace from a text editor. 
Good 
I'll make sure that TB2 doesn't choke on those. 
{ Is A Crap Implementation 
and should really be changed to _alpha or something else etc. 
Yes 
Whoever came up with that has clearly never opened a .map file in their life. 

I Agree 
but sadly, this doesn't matter - I'll have to fix the parser for it anyway. 
First | Previous | Next | Last
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2014 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.