News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
New Q2SP Unit: Slight Mechanical Destruction
Hi all,

After a long time in the making, my latest mapping project has now been released. It's a large single-player unit for Quake 2, set a few months before the ill-fated Terran offensive against Stroggos.

The unit consists of six levels, and makes extensive use of custom content - especially the Oblivion texture set. The game DLL is based on a modified version of the Lazarus mod, which adds many new features to the original Quake 2 game.

DOWNLOAD

Screenshots: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Holy Shit 
I thought this had stopped being worked on and was never going to be finished!!

VERY pleasantly surprised. Downloading now. 
Nice One. 
Designs look good and industrial as fuck. Rocks not quite as good but the rest of it looks very well done. Don't have Q2 any more tho, sorry. 

Quake... TWO?? *does not compute* *does not compute*

Actually I agree w/ nitin, this is a neat surprise! I can't remember the last time I tried out a custom Quake 2 SP release, and the shots look very tasty. Brings back some nice memories.

Is there any particular Q2 engine that is the right thing to use these days for singleplayer? R1Q2? Something else? 

Q2 awesome I've been missing some Q2 releases, there haven't been any in years :(

Screens all look good too. 

Is there any particular Q2 engine that is the right thing to use these days for singleplayer? R1Q2? Something else?

i was just about to ask this as i only have the stock 3.20 engine i think. would love to give this a blast as i haven't played a new q2 release in.. erm.. i actually can't remember. probably 10 years? 
I'm Using Aguire's Engine 
But I dont think that was ever officially released.

kmquake2 seems to be a popular one though, nit sure how compatible it is with mods though. 
Some Q2 Engines For Ya... 
http://fps.maros.pri.ee/index.php?event=610

Berserker is the prettiest imho. Has the darkplaces visual bells and whistles, just not as stable. I'd say give that, arq2 or knightmare a try (knightmare was used in a couple Q2 GPL commercial titles) 
Since It's A Dll... 
no OSX/*nix support? 
Try 
Quake2Max... I think it was called. 

Got a bit into the first map using R1Q2, but then it crashed with "ERROR: CL_ParseMuzzleFlash2: bad offset index 224".

That's the only setup I have handy at the moment, but I guess vanilla is the thing to try next. 
What's The Fitz Of Q2? 
I'm not much of a darkplaces bell fetishist type 

Ask Aguirre 
Yamagi Quake 2 
looks promising as a fitz/quakespasm-like engine:
http://www.yamagi.org/quake2/

This map pack looks cool btw, just need to find some time and get a q2 setup working :) 
Will Check That Out 
that does sound exactly like fitz (and whilst fixing that dreaded savegame issue). 
Is The Name From 
Iain Banks?

Still need to finish mfx's base map... 
Wow 
shots look very nice ! A shame I don;t hve Quake 2 installed on my (still broken) computer ;) 

Thanks for the comments, guys. It only works with the vanilla Q2 engine from what I can tell, and the experiences of the beta-testers. Most likely due to the Lazarus DLL which I have modified quite a lot (so it won't even work with KMQ2, which has Lazarus support).

Nitin - yes, I did stop a couple of times along the way due to other projects 'distracting' me ;) I remember chatting to you about the unit over a decade ago...!

ijed - yes, from his book 'Use of Weapons' :) 
DLL Versions 
The Happy Friar - I don't have other OS versions so haven't compiled it for other platforms - sorry. Might be able to get a Linux version done, though via a friend. 

Does work in arq2. Toon mode looks pretty cool. :) 
Hah! 
Nice to see Quake 2 getting some love. Not as iconic or unique as Quake 1 but still a really great blast IMO. (plus the railgun is still classic).

I'll have to figure out how to install my Q2 disc on my disc-less machine and play it. 
Excellent! 
Great to see you mapping again, Chris. These look great.. massive scale! You should update the contact info on your mapping website -- pretty sure that PQ address doesn't go anywhere anymore ;)

Jay 
Great News! 
As for the Fitz of Q2, you can use Knightmare's unofficial 3.24 - it utilizes many compatibility fixes as well.
http://www.markshan.com/knightmare/ 

I find Yamagi Q2 pretty good and "vanilla". FTE also runs Q2.

I'll probably try this pack at some point. Amazing that people still make Q2 maps. 
Woot! 
Musashi! Had no idea you were still about! Great to see a big q2 release like this and can't wait to play it :) was reminiscing the other day about one of your dm maps any then you magically appear! 
Nice One 
Generally cool levels, good modern design and detail, although also very corridorish most of the time. I thought the overall light level was quite dull. The textures are very samey in color so I would have wished for more strongly contrasted lighting to make the details stand out more. What added to that is that I took your word for granted (or simply confused things) and played with fugly blurry GL filtering instead of switching to nice pixel textures and skins... oh well, looked good still.

I found the combat to be tricky even on Normal. The buffed enemies took me a while to get used to, and even then I died quite many times. Not sure I like the changes. Felt like Nehahra all over again.

I actually even recorded my playthrough - however, I did it in the most awkward way possible. Wasn't sure if Q2 allowed continuous demo recording (across level changes and reloads - I think it does, unlike Q1; should have checked beforehand), so I started a new one after every level change or reload, then accidentally overwrote one demo, then just stopped caring. If you want, I can upload the mess - but it's not a very smooth watch...

Anyway, great to see a new Q2SP release after all these years. Thanks for the effort! 

Oh yes, at one point the server dropped to the console with some error message about missing or invalid lightmaps or something. It happened when I jumped onto the cogs in the bridge control room. Standard Q2 client. 

Another thing: that yellow force field - does one have to sprint through just like that or is there a trick to it that I've missed. Because it seemed impossible for me to get through, so eventually I noclipped. 
Huge And Well Connected 
Dug out Quake2 for this. Been so long since a good Quake2 map came out. Really enjoyed this map. True to the Quake2 theme. Really cool vertical scale. Packed with detail. 

Damn, couldn't finish it. I got to the 5min countdown after overloading the core but it wouldn't let me load the previous map. Tried both level changes, both just crashed q2. Also tried just loading the start map and that crashed as well so there's definitely something on the core level that crashes the game. Then tried just noclipping past the bridge but it's setup so that you can't continue unless you've completed everything. Oh well, maybe I only missed the boss fight?

Great levels though, I really liked the design. Definitely up to Q2's high standards. I wish there was more levels released like this.

BTW where was the sg or ssg? I found neither which meant playing most of it with the mg and hyperblaster. 

Actually this time just went straight to smd7 and did giveall. Glad I did that because the last level looks great, probably the best. Not sure if there was supposed to be a commander in the large arena where you get the RL, it seemed to be empty. I went straight through to the boss anyway since I had to do giveall. 

There's another door in the room with the medical station, opened by a somewhat missable button next to it. Takes you back to the artrium where you took out the two turrets.

I found a shotgun in the secret stash in the caves level, and I'm pretty sure I came across another one later on. The SSG is on top of some crates in the level where you first encounter those chest tentacle enemies IIRC. Unfortunately, I never found a rocket launcher, though. 

Thanks again for taking the time to play through it � I appreciate the feedback.

Jay � I got your email; did you get mine?

negke � Points taken! Medium skill is about the right level for me; one of my beta-testers found that Hard was �nicely balanced� for him� guess it all depends :) And I�d love to see the demos if you could upload them� thanks for recording them. The lightmap error in SMD3 � damn, I thought I�d fixed that. (GrOWL found it whilst testing, too).

For the yellow forcefield, you need to shoot the glowing blue control unit that�s on the wall just beside/inside it once you�ve deactivated it (during the few seconds you have before the forcefield goes up again). I found that the SG was the best weapon for this.

Kona � thanks! Sorry about the crash � no idea why :( None of the testers had that issue. Are you using the standard Q2 v3.20 client & engine? Past the bridge and boss fight you could noclip through the tunnel and then access the elevator to finish that level, even if you haven�t killed the boss. It takes you to the final level via SMD5, which is a short cutscene of the Power Core exploding whilst you escape to the surface (type 'map smd5' in the console to see it).

The SG is in the first level (Caverns), in the hidden equipment cache. The entrance is round a bit, to the right of the waterfall (and its second exit is over the waterfall). The SSG is in the third level (Bridge Control). In the central chamber, there�s a storage area on the ground floor in the corner with ammo, armour, turret stands, pipes and crates. The SSG is on top of one of the crates. In the RL arena, there should be some Iron Maidens, and a few Icari will appear when you enter through the ground-level door. Good suggestion, though � it could probably do with a Tank, too :) 

negke - one of the Iron Maidens in the outdoor arena in the final level drops an RL. There's some rockets on top of a nearby crate, too. 
Will Play Saturday 
setting aside some time. 
This Sounds Very Cool 
Maybe after the current project I can dust off the q2 skills. Lazarus is very fun to map with. 
Oh My God 
I'm playing this on the Oculus rift when it arrives. Crazy nostalgia 

I guess this does not support Linux as it uses a dll? I tried playing it with Yamagi but gave up after my first death as I had no hyperblaster ammo and had to fight with the stupid pistol thing. Probably due to the engine using the stock baseq2 code instead of yours. :( 

a code release would allow interested people to compile their own Linux version. 
The Code Is Released 
included in the download.

Have an error when compiling in Linux: "_MAX_PATH" undeclared. I'm slowly "fixing" errors. Fixing is in quotes because I'm not that great of a programmer. :D 
Fantastic 
loved it, real sense of place to all the levels and I was happy most were non-linear. Agree with negke on lighting being a little flat but there was some seriously good detailing and brushwork here. The first cavern level is way better than that lone screenshot for it shows, use of ambient sound and interconnection was terrific.

Gameplay wise, I had a blast on normal, the new enemies and enemy behaviour seemed to be fine, not nehahra like but just slight upgrades which were not unbalanced.

Thanks for finishing this Musashi. 
Also 
played in aguire's unreleased engine, no bugs encountered. 

nitin - thanks, glad you enjoyed it after all that waiting :)

For Linux users - Knightmare has kindly modified the source to make it easier to compile under Linux by disabling the FMOD/target playback and fog code. Added: DISABLE_FMOD and DISABLE_FOG macros in the source to disable them under Linux.

He has also released a new game DLL so that the unit can be played using his KMQ2 engine. Source and new DLL are here:
smd_kmq2.zip

Many thanks to Knightmare for doing that. 
Superb! 
Played this mission a few days ago - seeing a new Q2SP unit is a real treat, and it's even better when it's pulled off so marvelously. The whole experience is extremely atmospheric, with excellent use of ambient sounds, lighting, detailing, and architecture. I even went back to explore the maps after completing the mission just to marvel at their craftsmanship. The layouts allow for plenty of exploration and alternative paths, and everything is compact and connects with each other so well.

Gameplay is tough but not unbearable, and definitely requires you to conserve your ammunition and not rush blindly into things. The enemies were noticeably more challenging and accurate, so taking cover is more important - assuming your surroundings allow it, that is. Those new dodging animations for the Enforcers / Iron Maidens are quite kickass!

I especially appreciated the utilization of the Lazarus entities, such as the cameras, movable crates, the medical stations, and most of all, that rotating monster hologram viewer - that has to be one of the coolest things I've ever seen in a Quake 2 map, period. In addition, I can tell they weren't used just because they could - there was real thought and purpose behind their implementation, and they contributed greatly to the map's replayability.

I did find a few bugs though - one time there was a light guard (can't remember if it was a regular one or the red laser version, I'm guessing the former) being crushed by a door, and as soon as he was gibbed by the door, the game froze and crashed. This happened at the door you come to after ascending the stairs near the yellow forcefield, and of which takes you next to that grate which you can use to look down at the turret room. I haven't encountered this since, but that was because I got paranoid and so I gibbed every corpse that was in the way of a door. Oh, and because of medics.

Another bug I found was that, when fighting one of the iron maidens in the water hallways at the lower levels of the Surface Facility, the Iron Maiden performed a dodge jump and disappeared into the ceiling (luckily, it wasn't the one carrying the RL). Though you could not see her or kill her anymore, she could still see you and fire rockets at you. This, again, has not happened anywhere else.

Both of these bugs occurred on R1GL Quake 2, btw.

Other than a few minor issues, this is a truly outstanding single player mission, and anyone who still plays this game needs to have a copy on their hard drive. It is now one of my personal favourites - major props for all of your hard work, Musashi! 
Q2PRO 
Has anyone had a chance to try this with Q2PRO?

http://skuller.net/q2pro/

I need to get my computer online again so I can play some Q2 and give this a try. 

Thanks EmeraldTiger, I appreciate the detailed feedback and comments :)

I think the gibs bug might be due to the client used - has never been seen yet, although I'll do some more testing around there to confirm.

The Iron Miaden bug will probably be due to the custom animation code I added. I think I've forgotten to do a solid trace check before shifting the entity up... 
Musashi 
Demos

Turns out my initial thought was right and Q2 demos, just like in Q1, don't play back correctly after level changes and reloads. This affects at least one demo in this bunch (the last one). It can be fixed by manually hex editing and splitting the file, obviously a pain in the ass - or you could watch it in a port that supports it, e.g. BJP's enhine - although I expect it's unreleased. Sorry about that.

To watch the 12 files in sequence, you can create and execute a config with corresponding aliases that play one after the other. It should look like this (courtesy of BJP):

alias d1 "demomap smd_negke1.dm2 ; set nextserver d2"
alias d2 "demomap smd_negke2.dm2 ; set nextserver d3"
alias d3 "demomap smd_negke3.dm2 ; set nextserver d4"

Also, remember I accidentally overwrote one demo (part 9, I believe) so it'll feel somewhat disjointed at one point.

About the yellow forcefield, yeah, it totally makes sense in retrospect. I noticed the control unit but didn't really try to shoot it, only haphazardly threw a grenade at it which, of course, failed. Derp.

I found the Iron Maidens and killed them, but still managed to miss the rocket launcher. Either I was blind or it dropped out of the map. 

1) I don't know if it's higher HP or armor or both, but I don't like the tougher enemies. It seems pointless to me. It just takes more time and ammo and makes them tedious to kill.

2) I'm only a little ways past the first shield you have to shoot out, so maybe it gets better, but I have found very little ammo laying around and the enemies don't drop much. I've had to take down most with nothing but the blaster and it's getting old quickly.

Because of these two problems, I can't seem to keep interested enough to play for more than 15-30 minutes or so at a time.

The actual maps though, really look nice. 
Rick 
what skill level? I honestly had no issues on medium. 
Musashi 
BJP was so kind as to fix the demos in question for vanilla compatibility. I've updated the archive with the new files; it also includes his demo config. Thanks a lot! Just download it again for hassle-free viewing. 
Negke 
That's awesome - thanks. Looking forward to watching them at the weekend :) 
Thanx For The Pak 
gonna check it

is it possible to upload somewhere that Bengt's unreleased engine? 

Soooo... why there was not a single word in the readme about all the new sounds? They don't add anything, some of them are much worse than original, and you didn't change that low-quality "computer updated" (or something) sound.

I'm playing on Hard and having zero fun, because the shotgun is disgustingly weak and i think the pellet pattern is different, simple soldiers eat a shitload of ammo while bigger enemies fall quick, everything hurts more. What's with the 3 Gladiators (i think that's the name of those railgun dudes) at the end of the first map? I didn't have ammo for them, had to jump over. Also, i crashed 3 times when some of the monsters tried to cross the bridge (the one before the map exit). I think the crash is caused by Gladiators, but who knows.

I don't like encounters, they seem random and sloppy. Shooting Berserkers with machinegun is not fun, and there's a shitload of them. Yeah, encounters repeat to much, like the pares of, ugh, what's the name of those suckers, and the berserkers + enforcers.

I think the skybox doesn't look Stroggos-like enough, needs more red. Didn't like very simple white lamps in the cave, while the cave was pretty good looking.

I'm not sure i want to continue with all the new sounds and balance, i was in the mood for more vanilla action. 

>some of them are much worse than original
By that i mean that they don't fit the game, the visuals. 
Harmata 
Thanks for playing it, and for your feedback. Sounds like you need to try it on Easy or Medium level :) The weapon properties were not changed. Hard requires: good aiming, good dodging, good use of each weapon for each enemy, and finding most/all of the secrets to get the additional ammo, health and armour in them. One of my beta testers - who is a very good Q2 player - said this: "I managed to finish on hard mode pretty easily in the end, but for the average gamer I think hardmode is very balanced."

*shrug*

For vanilla SP maps, there's a whole bunch of good ones out there. My personal favourite is SPoG's SP map - it's awesome. The Fileplanet download link is defunct, so here's the BSP file I have. 
Negke 
Thanks for doing those demos, they were very useful to watch. For example, I assumed knowledge of Q2's physics peculiarity in that to get on top of a 64-unit crate, you hold down 'forward' when you jump. So, I'll need to reduce the height of those crates slightly for those who don't know this trick.

And yes - the superhealing station on the last map was intentional (for the boss battle) :)

I couldn't hear any ambient sounds during the playback apart from on the 4th map (Power Core) - did you hear them / was that just an artifact of the demos? I think the RL that the Iron Maiden dropped got crushed by the door that she died beside - there was an explosion when it closed. Doh! 
Spog 
Looks incredible. The brushwork is crazy! 
Spogsp1 
Is awesome.

This one is still on my to do list, will get to it :) 
Sposp1 
is definitely one of the classics. Go play it now! 
Others 
Power sphere quest was good as well. Citizen Able was amazing as well, another Lazarus pack that made great use of it all to tell a story - you end up working for the Makron, a crime lord.

I remember a motorway escape (in vehicle), dodging rail gun shots from the 'amateur sniper squad' and a crippled stealth sequence that inspired me to do my current map. Maybe a bit heavy on scripted sequences in certain parts, but very well made and had me grinning all the way through. 
AT LAST ! 
..someone has made new fresh content for the legendary (and better than Quake1!)Quake2 !

best regards to you Musashi :)

..let's be honest 1997 and 3/4 following years were the shit:the best age for videogames,period. 
Powersphere Quest Hasnt Aged As Well As Spogsp1 IMHO 
but there's heaps of good q2 stuff. But I havent got access to my q2 saved maps/episodes right now :) 
More... 
Apparently power sphere was primed for coop...

'Light' which used the Awakening weapons mod was ikbase greatness.

'Prince of stroggos' wasn't as good but still memorable.

'Pax Imperia' had a Tronyn horde type vibe along with lots of Custom stuff.

Forgetting loads of awesome maps, just remembering bits and pieces but the names escape me. 

>The weapon properties were not changed.
But the enemy stats were changed, right?
>the secrets
Oh. Damn dude, write about such stuff in the readme. Well, i certainly don't like when secrets are required to beat the map, maybe i'll give it another try on Medium after i'll quench my vanilla Q2 thirst. Thanks for the recommendation, appreciatin'. 
Ijed 
looking through my folder, favorites would be (alphabetical order):

1964 Echoes of the Past
Castles of Stroggos 2
Castles of Stroggos 3
Citizen Abel 3
Citizen Abel 4
Dark Undergrowth
Deaf, Dumb and Blind
Last Day on Stroggos
Light
Love Story of the Prince of Stroggos
Machine Reborn
Monumental Misery
Nightmare Orchards
Powersphere Quest
Premonition of Angron
Se Wsi Testamentii
Small Pile of Gibs (spogsp1)
Space Odyssey 2
Space Odyssey 3
The Widening Gyre
What The End is For

And Musashi's pack also easily makes the list. 
Widening Gyre Is Awesome 
In fact, everything on there is worth playing at the very least once. 
Gothic Resurrection 
Not SP, but DM, Gothic Resurrection is one of the best set of maps for Q2 ever made. Really if you haven't had the chance to check out these four maps, grab them somehow and have a wander around. It's pure awesomeness. 
Linkage For Gothic Resurrection 
Ugh, posted too quickly.

Here you can download them...

http://tastyspleen.net/quake/downloads/maps/individual/

I believe it's the gr_dm 1 - 4

My archive has all four in a pak file.

"Gothic Resurrection is a unique deathmatch experience, brought to you by The Freshteam. Four new environments each sharing a common theme and atmosphere throughout. These maps unluck some of the hidden visual potential of the quake 2 engine. The new textures and sounds combine to create an atmosphere like no other."

Load up a couple Eraser Bots and off you go. 
Might Not Be Correct 
If those downloads are not the correct ones for Gothic Resurrection, I have the pak file so I can see about uploading somewhere? 
Yeah They Are Great 
but like you say DM only. 

it makes me sad that none of the maps on that website have the original text files attached. 

Yep ele-h-mic, 97/98/99/00 were the best years of video gaming for me. No matter how good games get now, graphically, they won't ever beat 97/98. Logging on to awoq/awoq2 and marvelling at the latest custom levels was awesome.

Gothic Resurrection was a nice pack. yogi, voodoo, kamarov, kaneada - of course they were going to be impressive with those mappers. 

Thanks a lot people, bookmarking this thread for some future Quake 2 fun.

PS: damn it feels good to use Quake 2 icon in the real Quake 2 thread. 
Harmata 
if you want I can list my complete folder of worthwhile q2 maps/mods, its a lot longer than what I posted above.

Probably best to do it in the general abuse thread though instead of this one, lets leave this for comments on musashi's pack. 

Here I've rated most q2 maps:
http://www.etherealhell.com/etherealhell/ratings/quake2.php

Doesn't include my stuff and a few of the very last releases (by mark shan) and missions packs like zaero, juggernaut, oblivion. But everything else is pretty much there. No links will work though. 

Maybe in a month or so nitin, i've got to check out the ones already mentioned first. 
Nostalgia! 
Ah, I remember some of those maps :) Brendon Chung's ones were amongst the most original, especially Gravity Bone. Weird in a good way. That's prompted me to go and download them for playing again... found them here.

If anyone is interested, KyperTrast has uploaded a video of his run through SMD here. Good shooting and movement skills. 
This Was A Blast! 
All around solid architecture - every single map here has a monolithic quality (which fits the base game perfectly) and shows great attention to detail. Various Lazarus features are implemented very well and add to the adventurous vibe of the unit.

Although I used to play custom Q2 levels on Hard, SMD proved too difficult for me due to the modified enemies. I was already having a hard time by the midst of the second map, thus I restarted on Medium. It turned to a smooth and enjoyable ride then.

However, I encountered the same bug that Kona has mentioned - that is, after overloading the core and escaping the facility, the Hub level wouldn't load and crashed the game instead. Loading the last save on that map and trying to load up a different level just froze it up. So I had to manually load the cutscene and the last map. (Unofficial 3.24)

Nevertheless, the unit was highly enjoyable. It was a great experience to return to the sequel and have a blast with such a great pack. Thanks Musashi. 

Thanks erc.

Sounds like the crash might be due to the new countdown clock entity having issues with the v3.24 client - I'll have to do some further testing with it. 
Great Q2 Mission 
Nice to see new maps for Q2.

I like the wide level, nice architecture, beautiful texture, new animations, modified monsters, hologram, camera, new sounds...

I played it on Hard, it's really hard now, but i really like this kind of challenge.

Unfortunately, I encountered the same bug that Kona and erc, the countdown crashed the game when i go back (when the Q2 3.24 engine load the level, then i try with my savegames with the 3.20 version and same problem)

Thanks Musashi for your work 
Finally Got Around Playing This One... 
...I just finished the first level, got a load of bullets and shells but no Machinegun or Shotgun. Playing on Mac Os Yamagi, I suppose the weapons were meant to be dropped by some Gunner and Grunt along the way and Yamagi is not handling matters the way it should, right? 
I Think You Start With MG 
from memory. 
Nope. 
Here I got Hyperblaster+Blaster+100 cells.

That's all.

Manage to get to the beginning of level 2, but something must definitely be broken, I can't seem to lower the elevator past the first sealed door, and it looks transparent...

Thanks anyway... 
Im Guessing 
the lazarus mod isnt compatible with Yamagi. 
Yes, Me Too... 
...oh, well, tomorrow I'll try it in parallels win2k, let's see what happens. 

Playing in KMQ2, the game crashes whenever I try to load a save in the third map.

I haven't played the game in a long time so maybe it's just me, or is the mouse a bit awkward in this game? 
Amazing Visuals. 
Amazing.
Nice combat, also, if a little linear...

Got to the power cube in the power core section, as soon as I touch it Knightmare (on win2k, Parallels) freezes hopelessly.

I'd hate to cheat. Any workarounds? 
Hmmm 
Not really, unfortunately. There's a triggger around the cube that links to a whole bunch of entities (some custom), so it must be one of those not liking the KMQ2/Q2K combo.

I'd be interested to know if it crashes on vanilla Q2 v3.20 since that's the most tested one, which hasn't had any (reported) problems yet. 
@ FifthElephant 
"I'll have to figure out how to install my Q2 disc on my disc-less machine and play it."

Install Daemon tools lite on any pc with a disc drive to read it, make an image of Q2. Install Daemon tools lite on the disc-less machine, copy over the Q2 image and mount it. Install Q2 as usual.

This method works for almost everything out there (especially older software). 

Don't do that, daemon tools is full of spyware and shit nowadays. If you need a disc emulator then use http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/

You don't need to install Q2 anyways, just copy the baseq2 directory instead. 
Re: Daemon Tools 
I haven't had any problems (but you do need to pay attention to the options during installation for you will indeed get some stuff that is unwanted). Oldapps.com has previous versions without all of the nags if that's an issue.

That being said the WinCDEmu looks pretty good as well. The main thing is to get software that can make and read an ISO a just like a real disc. The fairly recent practice of not including an optical drive to keep the price down has made for a lot of pretty good software to remedy the issue. 
I'll Probably... 
just buy it on steam, the quake collection is always dropped in price on every sale anyway :P 

then you'll miss the soundtrack 

Surely Quake 2 has a source port which supports external music?! 

sure, but you would have to rip it anyways, right? 
Uh... 
...Musashi.

I tried it in vanilla Quake on parallels. Definitely the way to go. Lots of features not apparent in KMquake pop up.

But, after the power core overload, game crahed in the level change.

Wil I ever be able to finish this one?? :( 
Yes. Or... 
...at least I made it through the bridge.

Had a quick run this morning use Quake 2 Evolved which, even though breaking up the action with load screens, worked just fine.

I quit at the start of smd6 because I wanted to play the whole pack on a beefier difficulty level. 
Great Job Musashi! 
I've been playing Quake 2 for many many years now, off and on, usually at work(!). Never really had the time or inclination to start playing other games, which i know is a bit different. But i am a complete Quake 2 devotee and i have probably played every level that anyone has ever made, at one time or another. sadly most of those links are dead now, but i do still manage to find quite a few that i have loaded on my new computer. Anyway, that preamble is just leading up to my thanking you for making a new mission pack. I love your work. I always play every game at hard level, no matter how frustrating--and your maps are REALLY hard. I still have not figured out how to get out during the five minutes while the power is overloading, and i still have not found all the secrets. Still going through the second time. I will have more to report, but suffice to say that your mission pack is beautiful,
challenging, smart, and harrowing. 

Thanks billychuck, glad you liked it. 
MacOS/Linux Port For YamagiQ2 
I've been in contact with Musashi, and he said he didn't mind my posting the port I've been working on even though it's only mostly finished. I was able to get the Lazarus_SMD game code to compile using GCC, so that means it's playable in YamagiQ2 on non-Windows platforms. The save-file system is buggy starting with the 3rd map, and I'm afraid it's beyond my ability to diagnose the issue, unfortunately.

If anyone has the chops to try to fix that, or if you just want the opportunity to play the last all-new Q2 release on macOS or Linux (one map at a time) the source can be downloaded below.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/z4zx3d7ryz2u72p/smd-yamagi-src.zip 

the last all-new Q2 release
Not anymore: there has been a few in the past months. 
KMQ2 Wineskin Wrapper On Mac 
I wanted to play Citadel recently. Regular MacOS Q2 doesn't allow this. I decided to put my hand under the hood and finally I installed a fully working KMQ2 in a wineskin wrapper using Porting Kit legacy on good ol' faithful Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I'm really not disappointed in having done this. Great engine, stable, flexible and all maxed out in the wrapper thing working like a charm. I just gave a short test-go SMD. It looks just perfectly running with no problem at all. That said, YamagiQ2 Win will probably work great in a wineskin too! Way to enjoy all additions of these great Q2 modern ports. 
File Updated 
I got the save system functional, and have updated the file at the link posted above. In addition to the Makefile for Linux users, the zip also now contains a compiled macOS game library. 
1 post not shown on this page because it was spam
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.