@Mikko, thanks for the demo, it is always good fun watching Zendar demo's because everyone does something slightly different. Finally someone found the upper garden balcony first and took the route! :) I was beginning to think that everyone was afraid of taking one way routes in Quake maps!
I think the demo is short because it felt like normal skill was too easy for you, I think you should try hard skill, it will give you a better challenge. Secrets do play a big part in this map and they are worthwhile finding, but you did find the largest one, so no real loss with the others.
@Shambler, you don't need to see a tech/idbase map from me, there are tons of tech style maps in production this year! I am sure 2014 will be the year of rubicon2 homage.
Since most of detailing is somewhere above, walls are huge chunks of single color. All that green on the level made me nauseous. Looks bad, was i suppose to look up all the time? Because there's nothing to look at below roofs. Encounter design on first two halls is bad - due to infighting and simple layout 50 monsters disappeared in moments, was a no-brainer for me. And how about that Fiend spawning from thin air behind the player to block him in the room? Some low level shit. The fight began horribly, and it ended horribly - the Fiend was killed by a zombie who was inside one of the "zombie closets". Poor thing couldn't even reach it. There's plenty of such lame monster spawning on the level, feels like the mapper didn't care at all about monster placement, it's much worse that he did previously. Here you've got useless monster turrets, long lines of monsters from one entrance, a huge amount of single ogres, the fights with whom are almost identical all the time. Plus, plenty of places where their grenades can't reach you, including stupid single steps. Most of the Vores were just wasted on lots of boring "pick-a-boo" moments, some killed with easily provoked infighting, because the layouts are as simple as they can get, and 90% of encounters are so flat and boring that i almost fell asleep. The rest 10% are encounters with monster one level above or below (wow such vertical wow), with almost no threat to the player. This two-level layout was present on the previous map from sock, i think it was called The Ivory Tower, very similar. In general, this map plays like a bad Doom slaughter map, almost as flat as a Doom map gameplay-wise, includes a lot of monsters spawning from thin air (what's the shorter name of this crap?, can't remember), and looks bland. I guess you could say that.. sock SUCKS! Ha ha ha ha ha, just kidding, but this map does suck.
Oh, wait, i think that "that crap" is called "teleporting monsters". Or was it "instant spawning"? Dang.
3) whatta fuck is goin on?
thin air (what's the shorter name of this crap?, can't remember)
#152 Speaks The Truth
The rest of us have just been lying through our teeth to avoid hurting sock's feelings.
>Great map, Sock.
>No demo from me, since I'm a retard player, playing with God mode and all weapons...
So you write up a massive review about how much this map "sucks", and yet you were playing with god mode and all weapons the whole time?
You might as well have been blindfolded too.
I believe he may have been one of those gentlemen of the "troll" persuasion...
Trolls at least need to be funny though - his wasn't.
That... that was a quote from this thread...
Guess What Turns 2 Years Old Today
Nice Try CZG.
Sadly I don't refer to my girlfriend as "what" unlike you refer to your fleshlight.
Jesus, 2 years ... what the hell ...
That tourette syndrom brat.
Anyway, gonna play the map.
Didn't play it till the end (it's a long journey), but had a great time. I don't have much to add to the comments. I already said I was impressed by true level art people here get from Quake textures. Now I'm impressed with awesome gameplay Sock got from Quake monsters. Suddenly Quake combat felt fresh again, how is it possible? I guess it's about monster choice and placement fitting with level atmosphere and design like a glove.
This Is Beautifull
when exit/basement was already open I spotted another SK door on the rooftop (couldn't find proper way to activate lift to get there and had to rocketjump), after that I got paranoid and noclipped everywhere to make sure I didn't miss half of the level hidden in secret room 8)
Replayed This Last Night.
Died twice due to dicking around. Then did it properly. Still took me 10 minutes to find the Quad garden. Still an awesome level. So exploration, much wow, etc.
Blast From The Past
I assume this demo is not from the AD version of the map?
There's an Arcane Dimensions version of this map? I had no idea!