News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Retro Jam 1 Pack Released!
That stealthy sock organised a Twitter-exclusive map jam this weekend. Whether it was to restrict the number of participants or clamp down on excessive JAM HYPE, who knows...

What we do know is that the theme implies some sort of old skool Quake homage, and it's been released right here:

https://www.quaddicted.com/filebase/retrojam1.zip

With screenshots here:

http://www.quaketastic.com/files/screen_shots/RETROJAM1.jpg

And the mappers are rumoured to be:
ericw!
mfx!
skacky!
scampie!
sock!

Go play it!
Injectorised 

A Screenshot 
because apparently no one can be arsed with them any more :D

http://www.quaketastic.com/files/screen_shots/RETROJAM1.jpg

Looking forward to playing! 
Nice ! 
Geez ! That pack was highly unexpected !

Small maps, but nice and fun.

Sock, there's a scrag close to the exit that I can hear, but can't see. He was the last bad guy I missed somehow. I think it's stuck inside a wall or something.

Thanks a lot for the nice pack guys !

2014 is pretty close to be the greatest Quake1 year ever. 

Mmm yeah, wood and brick Quake! 

ericw: Nice and sweet. Gameplay was cool, aesthetics were pretty retro. I liked the sheer verticality of it!

mfx: Cool map but, man, it is impossible on skill 3. It really is, even with the secrets. There's just not enough ammo and health and/or too many unforgiving situations (silver key and slime pit). I like the style and the skybox is great. The sinking crates were a nice touch!

Scampie: The most retro of them all. I love the lighting. Gameplay was on the easy side even though I did manage to get blasted by the Vore.

sock: Fantastic! The layout is very good, the secrets are clever and the situations are all pretty neat. The aesthetics reminded me of a mix between Zendar and Shadow Over Innsmouth. I love that open-ended exploration gameplay and I love how you funnel monsters in.

That jam was really cool overall, both mapping and playing.
Skill 3 demos: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1hk1tni5iuhotxq/retrojam1_skackydemos.zip?dl=0 
I Was Watching Skacky's Stream Of Him Making A Map For This. 
Now I'm becoming more and more intrested in mapping for this. 
Its Over But Map Nevertheless! 

Holy Wtf 
I haven't even downloaded THTC yet! 
Screens Look Awesome 

Well I Wont Be Playing This 
l33tist c@nt$ 
Ricky May Be Overreacting 
But on principle, I agree. 

My First Plays 
I played the maps and enjoyed myself. I regret not finishing mfx's map after two attempts, because I ran out of ammo both times. I'll try again some other day.

I hope Skacky is amused by my multiple attempts, last of which is actually good enough to complete the map. (There's a little bit of silver key - silver door confusion there at the end too.)

http://www.quaketastic.com/files/demos/retrojam1-pekka-firstplay-demos.7z 
I Found Out Why My Map Doesn't Load Saves 
Don't use brackets in your worldspawn message keyvalue kids. 
Great Stuff. 
Really nice little jam.

Eric - nice map, good progression, quite easy but fun.

MFX - like the evil brother of Eric, some neat ideas but some horrible gameplay moments. The secrets were cool.

Scampie - very small but nice style, love the orange glow.

Skacky - brilliant, what great fun packed into one courtyard, love the hectic gameplay and all the details too.

Sock - great too, kinda like a scaled down Skacky with good detailing and hub-based combat. Great secrets.

Both those last two are good shorter maps in themselves, let alone in a 2 day jam.

Demos: (mostly second runs in the end lolz) http://www.quaketastic.com/files/demos/retrosham1.zip 
A Demo 
http://www.quaketastic.com/files/demos/retrojam1_ericw_mandel_031.zip

Fun run, but my lack of route finding talent is well documented in several archives. 
Haha 
shambler died. 
Got Some O'em Bugs! 
Enthusiast Map Maker 
So what software would one need to use to make these maps? Is it specific to Quake? 
quakewiki.org 

mmp - Trenchbroom or Jackhammer. Anything else is uncivilized. 
Such Comments Are Shite 
to be polite and civilized. 
Mandel. 
Great route, nice run :) 
Another Jam Another Fix. 

I can give a fixed version of my map if anyone wants it though given its small size I doubt not being able to load a save is that much of a deal.

In the meantime I'm transforming my map into something bigger and meaner. You'll see it on December 18th hopefully. 
Demos 
http://www.quaketastic.com/files/demos/retrojam1_ericw_demos.zip

Pretty awesome pack, great work everyone!

my map - happy I finished something; in hindsight the gameplay is bland (lazy monster setups, etc) and the box rooms are pretty ugly. The theme turned into zendar instead of retro. It was fun mapping under time pressure, it felt like I was several times more efficient than usual.

mfx - great looking, especially the exterior, and impressive size! The sinking blocks trap was my favourite trap in the pack I think, and the crusher trap was pretty brutal ;)

scampie - fun & true to the theme, nice crusher trap.

skacky - crazy, felt like a full quality release. It was fun checking out your twitch stream now and then. I didn't know about the texture cloning feature in TB! (where you select a face and then click on other faces to paste the texture).

sock - proud I found 6/7 secrets! I love the visual signalling of the secrets, and how the buttons mounted near the ceiling break the convention of shootable secret buttons. awesome map, felt like a full quality release. 
Skacky's Bug 
http://pastebin.com/pQBbs7Rv

The QS guys might like to pick this one up. 
Broken Link 
That download link is broken. 
Here's The File On Quaddicted 

added alternate link to news post 
No Demos 
Because I don't like it when people watch me do stuff. Or I forgot. Mostly that one.

Only played skacky's and sock's so far.

skacky - I completely missed that you spawn with the silver door behind you, so when I encountered a door with the silver key icon, I had a moment of "uh, why did this open for me?" I actually didn't notice the silver key door until the end. Opened a bit like The Ivory Tower. I did enjoy it, particularly the possibilities for in-fighting.

Good secrets, though I found the quad when I basically had nothing to use it on, and reached the RA once everything else was dead. Also I totally knew about the save/load issue and yet did it anyways, even though I typically don't bother with such... Silly me.

sock - I really liked the jump secrets that got me paying attention to all the trim and details in the map. Definitely easy to wander into a swarm of bounding boxes. Also, shambler, fiend, and vore around the same corner? Ouch. Couldn't muster the tiniest bit of in-fight out of them either.

Got rather annoyed at the crusher trap. On a reload I saw the crushing mechanism itself (and later found how to disable it) but as you had shown that bloody floor twice, for walls that shot only spike traps, I was going into it listening for spikes and looking for buttons - I thought you were building to something, rather than gating me. That final fiend spawn was brutal (only saw him, never heard him, as he was in the middle of a jump right on me - glad I had the lightning gun selected). Found 5/7 secrets, but I don't even know what else I would be missing. There are a few doors that say "Locked", but I've no clue what would be behind them, and the fact that all the monsters are dead gave me little incentive to find my way into those areas. I roamed the level 4 or 5 times after completing it looking to get those last two, but never spotted anything.

If I have a moment, I'll try to get to the others. I suspect I will need the fix build for mfx's however...

Oh and I forgot to say for both skacky and sock, those maps are beautiful, and an inspiration as to what can be done in such a short span of time. 
Fixed Map 
Can Skacky upload a fixed version of his map? 

I'll upload a fixed version in a few hours. 
Fixed Version 
Congrats On The Release 
great work guys and what a nice surprise
this could've been a one great chainmap

the only one map has been passable to me 
After Aeons... 
...I got back into Quake.

And, for a fresh start, I decided to upload
NIGHTMARE 1ST RUNS!!!

Real ones.

No trickery. No previous attempts.

Whooo-ooo!

Long story short, I just jumped right in and recorded demos. The outcome ranges from the pathetic to the hilarious.

Recorded in Quakespasm on a Mac.

Good maps. The ones I managed to get through, I mean... Will get back to the others later.

P.s. What's up with Quaketastic? Could not login for the life of me... 
Pootling Around Zoom Zoom 
hard skill demos https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33279452/retrojam1_daz.rar

Ericw : cool swampy style. Needed more exploratory bits. Single secret was nice. Quite easy even on hard.

MFX : you are a fuck. This level again looks sexy as shit in mfx fashion but I wasn't a fan of the gameplay balanced on a razors edge like this. Some people enjoy this style but it's not for me!

Skacky : w00t! Cool level. Again sexy as fuck and has that skacky trademark vertical style. A few areas were a bit pant shitting cos you just keep on aggroing enemies wherever you go (check my epic demo, bow down to the lord of Quake). I knew where the silver key door was from skacky's stream but I could easily see people missing it at the start.

Scampie : nerf lava. Basic visuals but fun gameplay. Managed to sneak past the fiend at the start so get rekt m8.

Sock : Trademark Sock epicness! Great layout and secrets! Sock always creates the best visual language for his secrets. Very subtle but once you notice it you can find many more in the maps. Fun combat and I managed to get up onto the roof of the level without cheating :)

Overall a very cool pack and super impressive that it was all built in ~1 day. 
Scampie Wins 
Timeless Retro Classic 

VICTORY 

Loved the jam, it was delicious.

The only one I didn't complete was MFX's, it was difficult and also it runs like crap on my surface.

I think I loved Skacky's the most, followed closely by Socks. 

Thanks everyone for the demos and feedback, I am glad you all had a nice surprise and got to play with something new this week.

Please can someone change the title of this thread, it is not a secret jam 4, I believe OTP is going to be running jam 4 once the mapcore competition is finished. This is retro jam 1 for a reason, its different.

Also I have new screenshot links for the top of this thread if anyone wants to update it:

Overall Skacky MFX 
Error 
How come in skackys map when I open the save I get "first token isn't a brace" 
You Cant Read Threads 
probably? 
For Those Who Just Tuned In... 
I'll try to ask it again.

"P.s. What's up with Quaketastic? Could not login for the life of me..." 
There's A New-ish Password (last Year Or Two) 
Username: quaketastic
Password: ZigguratVertigoBlewTronynsSocksOff

it's also in the top post of the "screenshots and betas" thread for next time you need it.

btw enjoyed your demo :) 
Title 
Please can someone change the title of this thread, it is not a secret jam 4

Done. If you'd posted more publicly about this pack - including on here, which has been a convention for Quake maps - then we'd have had this pack announced in a more suitable way, rather than relying on second-hand information. 
Thanks A Lot, Ericw... 
...but I had googled it before uploading my demos and found the new user/password.

That simply doesn't seem to work for me.
I did ask for info just in case the user/pw had been changed once more, but I see that's not the case.
May be some dirt left from memorized passwords, I'll have a look into it.

Glad you liked my demo, I liked your map a lot. Keep 'em coming. 
Update. 
Must definitely be my cache @home. Login from office works just fine. 
Only Around 45% Retro, But Very Nice 
Ericw and Scampie's maps are truest to the theme, the others pretty modern - very detailed and polished, new school gameplay, transparent water, fog etc. Not that this is a problem - very nice for a weekend pack. I played without the new items.

Skacky and sock's levels are quite similar, great looks and interconnected layout, interesting secrets. Good fun overall. Like Shambler said, impressive how well skacky's map turns out, how complete it feels considering it's just a courtyard with rooms around. The mapping streams were cool. sock's map is typical sock perfection, not much to add. Though I hope he'll do something outside his trademark comfort zone (medieval castles) some time, should be most awesome. mfx's map is very appropriate too, except dickish gameplay in parts and the ammo situations towards the end.

Demos (mixed protocols, 15 and 666). 

Really enjoyed ericw and Scampie's maps in their quiet charm, though eric's use of fog threw me off. Both apparently like having one secret and making it the grenade launcher.

I tried mfx's, but I just didn't have fun with it. Shambler in an open area with one little corner to go behind, and knights charging? Eh. That came after being dinged for damage by acid dips, locked in a room to kill enemies, and being punished for finding a secret with monster spawns. Tried to get creative and kill a monster with a trap, got killed myself - it seems the trigger for it starts earlier on the return trip... and just left it at that. 
MH 
Can you tell us what's wrong with our COM_Parse()?
I can't follow what you are suggesting from that
pastebin post. 
@szo 
It's actually not a COM_Parse bug (a '}' in an edict value works perfectly even with stock COM_Parse), it's in Host_Loadgame_f, just at the "load the edicts out of the savegame file" block.

There's a piece of code in there that scans the save file for each edict until it hits a '}', which it then assumes marks the end of an edict, and that's what's causing it to crap out.

Sorry, I should have been clearer about that. 
First And Foremost 
Don't forcibly change my settings through a quake.rc file, I don't like that. No one likes that. It makes me very angry, very angry indeed.

Onto the maps, I loved them. A retro theme is just what the doctor ordered. I can't choose a favorite amongst the pack, but I will say the map I spent the most time on was mfx's. It took 6 tries but I managed to complete it on hard skill. It became apparent midway through the map that my goal was to kill only the essential monsters and if possible, run away from the rest, and get to the exit alive. I survived with 49 out of 63 kills, and only 3 our of 6 secrets found. And as frustrating as it was, I did enjoy it. A lot. 
Heh? 
thanks.. 
What? 
Did you think I was making that up when I said I enjoyed it? 
Nah Nah 
just surprised anyone actually liked the grind:) 
I Enjoy A Challenge 

Mfx 
could you make a zip of your fix for quaddicted please? 
Played Ericw's And Mfx's So Far 
ericw: short, but I still enjoyed it, good map for a coffee break. Skill 3, 29/29 kills, 1/1 secrets demo

mfx: I actually did download your fixed version but ended up loading and playing the wrong map, which I realised shortly after dying to getting caught off guard by a shambler - I did find it oddly difficult, but played through to the end anyway! I almost died a second time to a wallhacking shambler (strange bug), and just barely managed to finish the map, it couldn't have been any closer really - you'll see what I mean. I really enjoyed it even though it was quite ridiculously difficult, I'll have to play the fixed version next! Skill 3, 58/63 kills, 6/6 secrets demo

I'll play the rest later and upload demos/comments. 
And The Rest 
Scampie: not much to say, a little taste indeed, but well made I guess. I did kinda dig the subtle colored lighting, if used in a larger map it could do wonders for the atmosphere. Skill 3, 12/12 kills, 1/1 secrets demo

Skacky: nice map with action right from the get-go. I liked how everything revolved around the central courtyard and that it was possible to take a couple of different routes from the start. Skill 3, 49/49 kills, 4/4 secrets demo

Sock: always such a joy to play your maps, the architecture and details are top-notch even when staying fairly faithful to the "retro" look. The interconnected layout is what I especially like as it opens up so many different ways to play the map, even some of the secrets add to this by enabling the player to ambush enemies from a different vantage point. Skill 3, 64/64 kills, 7/7 secrets demo 
Played The Pack Too 
Basically, what all others said.
Really enjoyed all the maps, different styles, different tastes, but all with good details and architecture touch: keep it up ! 
Extended Sock Map Here 
...and It's A Stonker. 
More details, neat new section, more secrets, beefier gameplay. All round thumbs up.

Demo: http://www.quaketastic.com/files/demos/shamfallen.zip 
Don't Know If Anyone Cares 
But I made some lame attempts to speedrun mfx's and skacky's maps a couple of nights ago when I was bored... mfx skacky 

Your speedrun is quite amazing! 
Cheers 
That fiend in the hallway led to quite a few failed runs initially ;p 
Cheers Back 
nice jumping kaffi, your name implies such moves somehow..

i made demos for everyones maps a while ago, but i forgot to post them here. I also forgot what i wanted to say bout them maps in partiacular, all are very nice for the short amount of time that was put in yeah yeah..

I wish this would never end. 
Forgot The Link 
Edit: 
particular. 
How So? 
Re: my nick implying moves 
Kaffikopp 
For a german whitebread like me your name sounds like "Coffee Head" when read. Kopp is dialect for head, so yeah, were a dopehead would just admire the scenery, a coffeehead jumps all over it.
This isn�t as funny in english i guess.
Anyway, jump on! 
Some Nice Stuff 
ericw- very retro but a bit too short and the texturing was a bit too chaotic for me.

scampie - even more retro, nice lighting, but lasted about 2 min :)

mfx - not as good as other recent mfx maps, expectations have been set too high hehe :) Opening scene is stunning but a bit plain after that and some of the fights are a bit unfair.

skacky - my pick for this jam, lovely looking and gameplay was fun.

sock - played the expanded version, great secret visual language, felt like a mini Zendar overall. Very polished stuff. 
Skacky 
A bigger meaner version? Yes please! 
Ahh 
Hehe, that makes sense. My nick actually means "coffee cup" in norwegian, but I also use another variant of my nick sometimes ("koffikapp"), which I've heard means "coffee cupboard" or something in estonian. 
Speedruns 
i couldnt watch kaffikopp runs unfortunatly, i geuss the maps has been repacked or renamed or something. Atleast it left me the fun of figuring out routes myself, roofjumping? certainly!

http://members.upc.nl/verorber/demos/j1_orbs.rar 
Found The Old/new Maps 
gee your fast on mfx, found both tricks pretty hard and died a couple of times by the last shambler (wich isnt there in the version you played) so stopped trying the boost of the vore, and you took the wrong door on skacky's :) 
Thanks 
Nice runs yourself, I liked what you were trying to go for on Scampie's map with the ogre grenade+fiend boost, too bad it didn't work out in the end.

I also attempted ericw's map and managed to skip the silver bridge with a circle jump, if I had gotten the entire run perfect I could probably get it down to 25-26 seconds with this route, but I kept getting blocked by different monsters on every attempt which drove me insane and I eventually gave up. 
Didnt Expect That 
i find that jump across the sk bridge very hard so i was eager to call that route slower. just tried it on low framerate and i got a 29.low, but 25/26? you found a way to get the gold key from the lift or are you just realy fast? 
Theoretically 
I could do it in 25/26 if it was a perfect run. No shortcut from lift to gold key. But yes, the jump is really hard. I tried again now and can make it maybe every tenth attempt, but every time I actually make it I keep getting blocked by monsters again so fuck it, can't be bothered to do a proper run of this map. 
Or Maybe 
my prediction was a bit optimistic; managed a complete run of ericw's map now, 30 seconds. It might be possible to shave off a couple of seconds at most with this route: demo 
Nice Run 
but to get times like 25/26 you realy need to get from lift to gk. The slope on the lift seems to small though and i think the lift takes to long to take an ogre grenade with you from down below 
Yep 
Was thinking the same, but actually performing the slopejump on the lift seems incredibly difficult, if not impossible, especially as the lift won't move if you stand on the slope only. 

Finaly finish then all :)

Map thanks for these perls ;)

1� Demos in attachment

http://www.quaketastic.com/files/demos/tr_retrojam1.rar 

*many thanks for these pearls

arghhh my shity English!

Sorry, forget to read what I've wrote :| 
English As She Is Wrote 
...written :) 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.