News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Map Jam 4 - Low-Gravity Runic - EXTENDED Deadline: 25th January 2015
Map Jamming is about creating maps of any size or detail level over a period of weeks using a certain theme and texture set. Check the readme file below for further details of what the Jam is about.

Any questions or comments, please post to this thread only.

NEW Deadline - 25th January 2015
Theme - Low-gravity Runic maps / Ziggurat Vertigo inspired maps

Note: Your entries must work with a gravity value of 100 (the one used in e1m8). You can use the console command sv_gravity for that. The final pack will have a custom progs.dat that will take care of that.

Guidelines for Map Jam Texture Wad
Also. 
All maps should be full of spawn, fiends, rottweilers and trigger_monster_push (did I get that right?) :D

Remember that voreballs and smabler lightning can be a bitch in low gravity. Quad+pent RJs on the other hand... 
Fun Fact 
There will be a start map this time. 

There should be a start map jam, where you try to make a unified start map for all of the map jams, incorporating their themes and styles. 

Making a new start map for the standard id episodes could easily be a jam. 
Start Maps... 
I love large and nice looking start maps, when the atmosphere is strong.

Is there a way to design some "universal" start maps that could be used for any maps ? If it's possible with Quake1, the start map could be linked to a simple text file that the user could edit, to change the map links.

The start map could offer gates to, say, 10 maps (with the usual difficulty settings). If a jam includes only 6 maps (for example), then the last 4 gates could be linked to some default Quake1 maps...

Or even a start map to select random maps ? ;-)

A maze of gates could be fun too.

Moving and flipping gates from hell, "randomly" rotating so the user can't tell which map he will select could be part of the fun too. 

If There Is A Start Map ... 
how about posting an screenshot of it, or at least to the portal/door/... and its surroundings, so the beginning of the maps can be adapted to resemble it and make a nice transition. 

That would be counter productive. Go nuts with the theme. Your map just has to be Runic in appearance and feature low gravity. 
I'll Do, Don't Worry 
I tend to be the one that goes nuts with the maps the most.

I know what you are implying with that, but the theme going completely nuts shouldn't interfere with a transition in the first room or wall, at least in theory, and would give more coherence to the pack.

Aside from that, just a screenshot would give the one that makes the start map the freedom to change it to fit more maps or to redesign it, or just to make it if he can't till January. 

skacky - START STREAMING! 
And You 
Stop Screaming ;-) 
Cocerello 
I did in GA... 
Oh Cool! 
I'm in. 
Without Sock Items Please 
if I wanted to replace content, I would do so myself... 

Well, it says:

"Vanilla gameplay only, no MOD support (Quoth, SoA, DoE)"

I assume the progs will change the gravity and the wateralpha and maybe fix the fish. :P 

Yes, that's pretty much all. 
Yay 

No Ministry Of Defence Support? 

Otp, Translation, Please 
As i suppose that GA doesn't mean green armour in there. 
Cocerello 
GA = general abuse, I think otp means this:
http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=1&start=24979 
Precisely That. 

Easier Than I Thought 
Like always. 
In Other News 
otp still screams in Green Armor.

Also for whatever reason my mind just read otp as odb, and thus interpreted it as "ol' turdy pastor". So, there is that. 

Kinda working on a little something. no idea if I'll finish it though... 
Go Fifth Go!! 
Many weeks left. Much mappage! 

Probably wont finish it... I was going to try and do a ZV map but in the sky... doubt it would work out well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u91fhapy6qjdlxc/fitz0012.jpg?dl=0 
Skacky Past Streams Gone? :( 
Hey Skacky, Do you plan to do any live stream for your map? On another note your previous streams seam to have disappeared? 
So, No Screenies Yet? 

Crickets.... 
I do believe some folks actually plan to make use of their holidays?! GASP!? And talk to friends and family... nah I am sure they will just be glued to their screens mapping away. Bah Humbug!

Cheers 

I had a crazy idea for my map last night in a dream... no idea if I will ever find the time to make it though 
Dang You Fifth! 
Now you are just teasing... 
Started Laying Some Brushes.... 
pic.twitter.com/Nw4leWNQG7 
Needs Moar Arch. 
Good stuff :) 
Uhf 
I've been too busy these holidays.... There is no way I'm going to make the deadline :( 
Sleep Is For The Weak! 
I get home after work... and then I go to bed at like 2:30 in the morning. Starting to dream in brushes! 
Y'all In Luck 
<skacky> might also extend deadline since there doesn't seem to be a lot of participation 
Mappers Be Out And End Of Year Madness 
Sock also had a HD crash and Warren is on break. Other folks just like to catch up on sleep. 
Probably Wont Finish It... 
but here's my foray into the theme -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rig8yd4iv6ru9eq/zvjam.jpg?dl=0 

that is a really cool lava texture! 
Fifth 
you might not have noticed, but I progressively stretched the lavafalls texture in brush segments to make it appear to accelerate due to gravity (and to let me get a lot of potential vertical distance out of one texture), because linearly scrolling waterfalls have always annoyed me. takes longer to line up but it's a nice subtle effect. 
Necros 
it's lunarans texture, not mine. You can grab it from the ikwhite jam.

Lun,

I'll go back and re-look at it. I have to admit I struggled lining up the ones I already had. 
Scrolling Textures Q1 Or Q2? 
They only added scrolling textures in quake 2 correct? To bad quake 1 is limited to 10 frames of animated for a texture.... 
Skiffy 
You can make textures scroll in new engines but you have to add a prefix to the texture name (like how water textures need an asterix or buttons use a plus or minus sign). I can't remember what character the prefix is though. 
Scrolling In Fritz And Spasm? 
So those 2 engines support it now then? For the Mapjam 4 we are not aiming to make them work in Vanilla quake are we? I would love to have that visual effect for my level.... 

I was talking about that streaky blue waterfall texture from (I think) Hipnotic that everyone uses, with the regular white line of foam that travels gently down the length of the texture. 
And, Fifth 
I was just mentioning it as a tip, you don't have to do that or anything. 
Fifth. 
Finish that motherfucker. Need moar fifth maps. 
I'm Extending The Deadline To Sunday 25th January 
This should give people more time to finish their maps.
Could Vondur or bler edit the OP? 
Eggscellent 

SWEET. 
Gives us new newb mappers some well needed breathing room! Thanks! 
Another Sneak Preview 
looking like it's going to be kind of a void map. No idea if I can pull it off to be honest.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1tduoezborroqrl/zv1.jpg?dl=0 
I Heard You Guys Like Screenshots... 
Another Mapper From Berlin? 
Or is that you mfx? 
Can Confirm 
it isnt me. 
Hah! 
Maybe we have a new drinking buddy ;-) 
I Like That Shot. 
Looks quirky and interesting. 
Last Shot Of The Day... 
Maybe I will finish this one afterall (regardless of extension on the time)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2i0r3txm6unjcs/zv2.jpg?dl=0 
Maybe You Should 
:D 
I Love It 
Go map 
Done A Bit More 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5djuu08q2ww2vxb/zvjam1.png?dl=0

also, linked as a PNG because reds tend to fuck up bad with jpgs. 
Looking Hot! 
DEM PUNS 
Low Grav Trigger_hurt.... Erm Yeah. Not Great. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOx6G0BKOAw

I might have to make the lava-fall non-damaging. 
I Dunno I'd Keep It. 
It's not like people are supposed to do that in the first place. 
Maybe 
Just make it as damaging as normal lava? 

Just want to remind everyone that the deadline is approaching rapidly, and that I sadly lost all my work and won't be remaking it. That means no start map. 
WTF Skacky ! 
Dude, don't you do backups, when you're working on your computer ?

I always do ! 
Dropbox Is Your Friend... 
Seriously, there's no reason to go through the soul crushing despair of losing your map files. 

I think that the bigger issue would be that a void map like that probably isn't the best idea for a low gravity map. Maybe a lot of clip brushes to funnel the player back onto solid ground might be the way to go (or creative uses of trigger_push and clip brushes. I dunno'). As far as the lava goes Ziggurat Vertigo had it and most people didn't have a problem with it. I wouldn't go crazy with it though. You don't want to make something that's too frustrating for people to play. 

The map isn't too bad really, probably would work better with normal gravity but it's too late now!

I think the lava-fall will stay non-damaging to be honest. 
Another Screenshot 
http://imgur.com/wHzCNer

and i am from Leipzig, not from Berlin ;) 
Danget Too Busy To Finish My Map... 
Well at least I did get into making maps though but I need to work on scope... its become too big for its own good and time is in short supply. So yea I sadly wont make it with my map :(

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1849053/Quake_Mapping_07.jpg

It will become its own map without using gravity in the end I think now. 

Looks sweet, skiffy, definitely finish it when you can! 
Sexy 

New Take On Runic 
Like it 
Skiffy 
That looks incredible!! 
Extend Till The 31st And I'll Finish 

Very Nice. 
Love the spikey anus door in shot 2 
Bloody Too... 

Skiffy 
This map could get me playing Quake again.

(I do realise that this is 'so what' statement, but from me, it's a compliment) 

Well, let's do a call right quick. How many people are going to submit maps? 
Skiffy ! 
I want this map v-e-r-y badly !

Looks impressive !

Please, take your time, BUT pleeease finish it ! 
I Am 

I Will Not Be.... 
Sorry. Mapper's block (at least on this map...) 
Skiffy... 
...dripping with atmosfear from the look of it. If gameplay matches this will be a delight. 
Call Me In.. 

I so wanted to make something in this theme... but once again I didn't manage. Shame. Hope there's going to be some nice maps still - skiffy's looks very cool from the screenshots. 
No Worries It Will Be Finished This Year... :) 
Its still early after all. 
Noob Question 
"changelevel to start map" means what? e1m1? 

start 

Start.bsp is the default skill and episode selection point in Quake. It has some special properties normally found in progs.dat located in ID1\PAK1.pak

For this "Jam" there is supposed to be a start map (although I'm not too sure if that's happening) so that a player can go from level to level, not keeping the weapons\ammo\armour or whatever from the previous one.

Anyway, just make your level exit trigger go to start (not start.bsp) or start2 (which bypasses the skill selection keeping whatever you chose at first as the default) and that's it. In my opinion that's where all individual maps should point to at the exit (the alternative is usually to point back at itself). 
Map Sent 
I did run into some brush pop in errors after vissing, but i think i could fix them. This theme was fun! Thanks for organizing it. 
Sent My Entry 
to skacky's yahoo.fr account. 

and his gmail account... I hope you liek spam! 

So far I've received Rapowke's and Fifth's entries. You have until today 23:59 to send them. 
I Check This Thread Every Day 
these days, but when is the new deadline? 

The pack should be released this weekend. 
Thanks Skacky 
looking forward to the release over weekend. 
Yeeeee 
i cant wait :') 

If I had known that it was delayed I would have spent yesterday adding more stuff ! 
Words 5th 
just words 
Above Post Is Of Motivational Nature 
please dont get me wrong 5th. 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.