News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Map Jam 5 : The Qonquer Map Jam
Map Jamming is about creating maps of any size or detail level over several weeks, using a certain theme and texture set. Check the readme file below for further details of what the Jam is about.

Any questions or comments, please post to this thread only.

UPDATE: Deadline extended to WEDNESDAY 8TH APRIL

Theme - Prisons of the underworld
Texture Wad - No texture wad this time. Interpret the theme however you wish! Browse the Quaddicted texture repository for wads : https://www.quaddicted.com/files/wads/

Note: Your entries have to be made for the Qonquer mod. This mod turns Quake into a survival arena with escalating waves of enemies. Download Qonquer from the link below. The Qonquer mod includes some new entities that enhance the arena design, please see the link below for details on these new entities. Due to the nature of arena designs, this map jam may be of particular interest to people with busy schedules or otherwise limited time due to the smaller scope.

Your arena must contain an interesting or unique twist. Use your own discretion as to what this could be.

Guidelines for Map Jam 5: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwnekjqrag2glvs/MJ5Gudelines.txt?dl=0
Download Qonquer
( http://www.wantonhubris.com/qonquer/Qonquer.html )
Qonquer editing guide
( http://www.wantonhubris.com/qonquer/Editing.html )
JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM 

THE RIDE IS STARTING 

Sorry For Bothering But... 
...Any references for the Prisons of the Underworld? 
How About Piranesi? 
Impel Down 
Once piece prison with 6 level of Hell sounds a good reference as well :)

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/onepiece/es/images/thumb/f/f3/Interna.png/800px-Interna.png

I am not advocating to make a manga-like map, but rather to reuse the Hell-like leveled prison: that would make a good map IMHO.. :) 
Piranesi Had Clearly Never Heard Of R_speeds 

I don't have time to map for this but here's a free map name: "Live Fire Exorcism"

y/w 
T/y 

Non-shit Fgd 
hey... so that fgd i uploaded was actually shit.

here's one that actually works and also has all the other entities you need (eg: the stock quake ents):
http://shoresofnis.com/temp/qonquer.fgd (actually just the same url...) 
Lol Kinn 
imagine if our brains slowed down when we looked at architecture that was too complex (actually, in that case, natural scenery like forests, the ocean etc, would be the worst).

I've always wanted to make a Piranesi-style Quake map (though The Living End or Honey arguably move in this direction already), but I can't map for this - too busy and need to finish old stuff before starting new. 
Question For Willem (or Anyone Who Knows) 
How does the mod choose the amount of monsters to spawn during a wave?

I see that you set up lots of monster spawn 'factory' entities as the spawn locations for all the enemies, and choose a range of waves for each factory to be active. And then the mod chooses the frequency to spawn new monsters from it's available pool of factories each wave.

Does the mod simply iterate through the list of active factories and spawn a monster at each factory until it's spawned all the monsters for that wave? Or does it do some form of smart choosing of factories based on the strength of the monsters it spawns?

The first arena of Qonquer is a good example: the Vore that spawns in later waves... Does it only spawn infrequently because there is only 1 spawn point and many more Enforcer and Grunt spawn points? or because the mod knows not to spam Vores constantly in earlier waves?

I assume it's just iterating through the list, but I wanted to be clear. 
Wave Control 
You can set a spawnwavestart and spawnwaveend key on a monster to prevent it spawning in early/late waves. No guarantee it will spawn once you reach valid waves though... 

What preach said. Someone read the source code! 

"How does the mod choose the amount of monsters to spawn during a wave?"

From what I recall, it's automatic. It starts small and just escalates. 

Also, try to have a decent selection of spawn points as well ... the mod attempts to pick ones you can't see so the spawning is super obvious. It also tries to avoid telefragging and when the action gets intense, that can be difficult with an arena full of monsters. 

Ok, so it's a semi-smart spawning system, with the chance of a specific monster being spawn tied how many factories for it are active that wave? 

Hmm ... If I remember correctly, what it does is it tries to keep a set number of monsters alive. When it need to spawn one, it gathers up all the valid spawn locations and picks one randomly.

So there's really no control over how many X of Y will spawn ... you can only set up what mix you want and qonquer does what it can to provide.

I wish it was more controllable now, but ... 
Qonquer 2.0 Ahoy! 
With user-specifiable round start/end sounds! 

How high of a wave did you expect players to get to in the default arenas?

Seems that it was at wave 15 you wouldn't add or change any spawners, and just let the mod do it's thing with ramping up frequency for increases of difficulty from there? 

No real design intention there, just ... they were samples so they'd showed enough to give people the idea of what to do. 
Zwiffle 
So are you going to share your penis prefabs? 
I Have The Same Question 
but without the word "prefabs" 
Jammin' 

That block in the sky, in real life, wouldn't be able to float like that. You should consider creating some architecture to support it.

Otherwise it looks cool! 
(also, This Is Map Jam 5, Not 4) 

I literally made a level that was giant floating pyramids... when did Quake have to make sense? ;) 

It's a prison of the underworld. It does what it wants. 
THat Block In The Sky. 
Best bit out of a generally cool shot :) 
Scampie 
You forgot to call it a "cube" despite very obviously not being a cube. 

Also scampie : go map. 

You're all fucking cubes. 

I have an idea for a map... But I currently have too many projects right now. I'll have to see. 
Wow 
loving the look of this level Warren.

Others working on levels, feel free to post wip shots etc :)))) 

I have something in the works, but want to get more done before I show anything.

That looks cool though! 
Ouch 6 And A Bit Degrees 
I'm in. I need to clear my head. 
Wow Willem 
what a cool idea; why would a free-floating void structure need to hold itself together using conventional architecture; if all its parts are floating, it could just be held together by chains! 
What I'm Getting Out Of It 
Is that the brick and mortar bits did not necessarily originate in the void, but that's where they were chained together.

OMG jam5 = an allegory to mapping itself??? 
Warren Wins The Interwebz. 

Cheating With His Model Converter! 
Looks great, kind of reminds me of Papo&Yo. Shame it's little more than an elaborate 3D skybox for a simple Qonquer arena. 

You're a simple Qonquer arena. 
PWNT. 

Looks great @WarrenM! Makes me think of Kowloon a bit:

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=kowloon%20walled%20city

Ended up with a lot of grey as well for the theme, seems appropriate:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129414687@N03/16763036927/ 
I'm Working 
It's just not looking very nice and has no unique gimmick. 

@ijed You nailed it, having the exact same problem ;) 

I think I've found the look now - green and blue dungeon.

I stopped working on an earlier version because I didn't like the gimmick.

I'll post a shot once I compile it. 

http://scampie.net/etc/wip/jam5_arena1_week1.jpg

themes are the only real prison! 
Oh 
and if you want proof of how lazily I've worked on all the rocks this past week...

http://scampie.net/etc/wip/jam5_arena1_day1_1.jpg
http://scampie.net/etc/wip/jam5_arena1_day1_2.jpg

That's day 1 where I made the layout and didn't share the pics with anyone except negke and Lunaran. Since then I've only poked here and there each night because I fucking hate making rocks. 
Looking Good So Far, Scampie 
The gameplay can be seen on those screenshots.

I see that you used the idea i had for lighting in sm176 too.

Also be careful to not make the central spot a too safe place against ogres and demons. It would make the map blander.

By the way, which textures are you using for rocks and vines? 
Nice. 
Now go map rocks.

Hypnos urs is looking good too. 

The base texture for the vines is 'maya2_9' from the Rogue expansion. The rock walls are 'rock18', I believe from Unreal originally, I use a version I modified that tiles vertically better than the original.

I then shopped that rock texture with the vines texture at a few different length variations. I also have a couple of the trims and wall stones from sock's Egyptian textures with vines over them which I'll use a little for the interior arenas.

When I do the hanging vines as brushes, I have a texture I hacked together that uses 'hedgerow1' from zendar with the green leaves of 'maya2_9'. Basically looks like the original 'maya2_9', except I replace the brown vines with dark green leaves, which looks nicer when made into standalone vines and such.

The rocks on the ground are 'ogro42', from one of Ogro's texture sets. The blue crystals are 'crys1_2' from Quake2. The green grass is 'jf2grass' by metlslime from Rubicon2.

I put together the .wad I'm using a couple years ago intending to do a 'lost continent/hanging gardens' setting for a map. Pulling it out now just to use it because it looks too cool not to use, and this area honestly only looks good because of dirtmapping AO and the diffused sunlight2. 
W00t 
Looking good Hypnos and Shrimpie. Everyone else = Go map! (and then post wips!)

;D 
Interesting 
Suspected that the rock texture was from Unreal, but never thought that the vines could be those, and was thinking were in Unreal were those located. Good choice of textures across sets, indeed, look coherent, at least from this distance. I was particularly interested at those two, as i was searching for a texture with and without vines for a map, to hide the limit between the two.
The Unreal rock texture really needed that improvement for tiling, i remember it being quite bad at it, not that it is critical in your case, as long as faces stay at that size 

Somebody stream, ffs. :) 
That Looks Lush As Fuck. 
Put a Rubicon 2 base in it. 

I will be looking to contribute something... probably will take a day I would suspect. 

Bear in mind that Qonquer can trigger events at the start and at the end of each wave ... so you can do some wacky stuff if you really want to. Transforming arenas and things like that. 
This Is What I Have So Far - 
Yes! 
Bear in mind that Qonquer can trigger events at the start and at the end of each wave ... so you can do some wacky stuff if you really want to. Transforming arenas and things like that.

This is what I was hinting at with the interesting or unique twist. Cool stuff that changes up the fight! GO MAP #D 
Yeah 
I had the whole floor change on every other wave, a bit like an interlocking Dead Simple.

But then it pissed me off. 
Speaking Of Which 
Can you put qonquer spawns that activate ONLY after a certain wave completes? That would be cool when you open another room and you get more monsters from previously inactive spawns in that room. 

Yeah, just set the spawnwavestart on the monster spawns in there...

http://www.wantonhubris.com/qonquer/Editing%20%3A%20monster_.html

They won't be used until you hit that wave. 

What if I killtarget info_qonquer with a targetend? Will the game end? 

Ok im going to reuse some old scraps for this, to get them out of the way in some sense.

I'd like to make a startmap from this bit:

http://i.imgur.com/dQiBxTh.jpg

I need a precise number of contributors for extra teleporters, but thats done quick.

My entry looks like this atm, you know that already..

http://i.imgur.com/S8ziQ39.jpg

Now go map! 
My First Thought When I Saw The Second Shot 
This would make an awesome floating Icon of Sin-like boss enemy. 
Icon Of Sin-like Boss Enemy. 
Sounds like a perfect use of Qonquer to me. 

"What if I killtarget info_qonquer with a targetend? Will the game end?"

Well, that would basically be shooting the mod in the head so .. I wouldn't expect good things. 

I was just confused about the theme being "Prisons of the Underworld" to be honest. 
It Is? 
i did not read that.. 
I Wrote It In Bold So People Would Read It 
:D 
Im So Stupid It Hurts. 

Don't worry, I ain't caring about that theme. I'm just making a Qonquer map! 

An off theme map is better than a non-existing map any day! Go map! 

I didn't see the theme. :P

Mine isn't much of a prison. 
Meh 
just throw a few bars around a few places. there, it's a prison. 

I made a cave already..

http://i.imgur.com/WaCsFwz.jpg

Hmmm, maybe i can merge it all into a map. 

It's in the underworld. Who's to say what a prison in the underworld looks like? Fuggit. 
Argh 
Dropbox hasn't uploaded my shit 
..didn't Know There Even Was A MapJam 4 ! 

Poor Map Jam 4 
it was never meant to be! 
Scampie 
What textures are you using in those two shots of yours? 

The base texture for the vines is 'maya2_9' from the Rogue expansion. The rock walls are 'rock18', I believe from Unreal originally, I use a version I modified that tiles vertically better than the original.

I then shopped that rock texture with the vines texture at a few different length variations. I also have a couple of the trims and wall stones from sock's Egyptian textures with vines over them which I'll use a little for the interior arenas.

When I do the hanging vines as brushes, I have a texture I hacked together that uses 'hedgerow1' from zendar with the green leaves of 'maya2_9'. Basically looks like the original 'maya2_9', except I replace the brown vines with dark green leaves, which looks nicer when made into standalone vines and such.

The rocks on the ground are 'ogro42', from one of Ogro's texture sets. The blue crystals are 'crys1_2' from Quake2. The green grass is 'jf2grass' by metlslime from Rubicon2.

DREADLINE LOOMING 

I know, I know. This weekend is mapjam from start to end. Going to have to wrap up what I have and submit, basically. 
Its All Good 
It seems I've become very lazy and slow, so this is a good kick in the arse to get me sharpened up again. 

"It seems I've become very lazy and slow"

Same... ugh, worst thing is that the deadline is on Easter and I have family get together to go to and steal my mappery time :_( 
Haha 
"I don't understand why you'd want to work on something that earns you no money instead of spending time with your family"

"Uhm..." 

Will probably try to finish off my map... not really spent a lot of time on it and I think the scale is slightly too big but ah well. 
You Know 
I was a bit of a dick setting the deadline to Easter. That totally slipped my mind when I initially set up the jam.

So, I am willing to give a 3 day grace period after the 5th for people who are busy this weekend.

If someone could update the main post with this info that would be <3

To be absolutely clear. ULTIMATE DEADLINE OF DOOM AND DEATH : **** WEDNESDAY 8TH APRIL ******* 
Thank Christ 
I can now slack off and do it on the last minute like I always planned. 
Daz 
You are a saint.

This does not, however, cancel out your being of a bellend, but the net total has gone up considerably. 
Yaay 
Now you have time to make a map too Daz! 

Hah, nice ... this weekend was shaping up to be a little ugly. :) Thanks DaZ... 
BUNCH Of FAIREIS 

Ok I Broke Qonquer 
Beware placing a golden backpack on top of a brush entity - with both doors and buttons it spams "Trying to Sprint to a non client" and is then apparently collected by the world leading to all sorts of hilarity.

I'm guessing this is because of the door touch functionality for the removal of keys. 
Protip 
A golden backpack is the established convention, but is not necessary to begin the game. 
Wow 
That's some subtle trolling! 

I started working on a little arena thing, but it took really long and then I realized it actually turned out to be Scampsp2, so I quit and deleted everything. Will probably also format the hdd just to be on the safe side.

No jam map from me - but hey, at least I tried, right? 

Sweet style in that shot, whatever it is and whatever becomes of it. 

FINISH THE MAP NEGKE 
What Scampie Said 

Deadline Updated In Topic 

Delete 
Obvs 
Negke 
Looking nice, now send it to me. 
Send To Madfox Pls 

Some Shots Of My Map 

Driving home, remembering this is due on Wed...

http://weknowmemes.com/�/uploads/2012/01/llama-stare-gif.gif 

skacky - God DAMN son. 
Fucking Incredible, Scacky 

As awesome as that is skacky, I think you need to own those colors a little more and pump up the saturation a little. That would really define your indoor and outdoor color schemes. 

I actually love the faint blue tinge outdoors, but feel it might be worth boosting up the interior warmth to break up and diversify the mood in places? Also consider throwing in a smudge of colour contrast - Perhaps the rooftops/domes being something defining like teal green or deeper blue for extra character? Structurally impressive though, it's appealing to look at. 

skacky
1) daaang
2) how do the items and monsters look next to the higher res textures though? weird I bet 
Some Shots 
I decided to participate this time around, been awhile!

http://rctiernan.com/quake/acqonquer_1.jpg
http://rctiernan.com/quake/acqonquer_2.jpg 
Lun 
are they higher res? still seem to look like normal size quake textures? 

Skacky, awesome!

How many entries are we to expect?, i cant keep the count.

12? 
Skacky 
love it, looks amazing. 
We Send Them To You Daz? 

Nice! 
Got a chance to go through the thread and see everyone's work so far and man these are looking awesome!

And Negke, c'mon, you've got to finish that! 

some of them look upscaled, yeah? am I high?

or is this mmap just that good 

that's some sweet high res brushwork ;) 
Send Entries To Me Yes! 
my email address is here on func or you get it from the jam 5 guidelines doc linked in the OP.

Cool seeing more maps! YAY ArrrCee! 
I Would Love To See Another Qonquer Jam Sometime Later. 

Holy Shit Skacky 
that's the most amazing thing I've seen in a long time. coincidentally, I recently had a very similar idea for a map recently, to what you designed! directly from my to-do list:

q1sp map: "Moon Above, Sun Below" - upside-down skybox, altered gravity, map objects from heretic2, Piranesi style layout, jam2 arabian palace textures). Blue lighting. Use crystal torches. Use quake2 crystal textures. Have moving platforms.

But of course I wouldn't even get to this until Drake is done. Anyway, that looks stunning, great work. 
Tronyn. 
Just sack Drake off and get mapping FFS. 
Yes 

24 Hours Remain! 
It's roughly 2am where I am. So roughly 24 hours remain for this JAM!

GET TO DAT JAMMIN SONS 

LAST MINUTE JAM RULE ADDED BY THE JAM MASTER HIMSELF:

9:00 PM - [TD] Daz: there must be a penis somewhere
9:00 PM - [TD] Daz: make it so

Uh ... so ... tonight? Hmm... 

My map is finished unless something terrible happens during beta-testing. 
^same 

Do Your Maps Contain Unique Twists As Mentioned In The OP? 
I had this idea where all arenas would be linked to form a complete map layout and be playable as a normal level when run outside of the Qonquer mod.

I think this is what skacky should do! 

Yes. I have 3 arenas, and only the first (the outside caves and waterfall area) is mostly standard arena gameplay. 
Don't Forget The Deathmatch Settings, Kekeke 

Ditched My Map 
There's some gameplay and design issues with my map I wont be able to fix in time for the deadline. Needs quite a bit more work on it, will probably repurpose the stuff I've made for a similar themed map I've been working on as I think it'd go better with that.

Sorry guys! 
Meh! 
If you need another day or so then fine. I will need time to compile the pack together and test all the maps etc. 
PUMP UP THE JAM 

Finished Shots 
I Jizzed A Little 

I could use another day or so. I'll keep the thread posted! I just got it sealed this morning .... need to add gameplay and get it done. It's not my best effort but it is what it is at this point! 
Oops 
The version I sent didn't compile light for some reason. Will send again in a bit. 
Ok Sent 
What's 3J? 

Map Name 

Map is sealed and I'm setting up game play ... it won't happen tonight. But I could shoot for tomorrow night! 1 more day, I swear, that's all I need... 
Typical Artist 
Makes it pretty then adds gameplay! 

Yeah, yeah, why I oughta... 

Scampie: BLACK FACE ON A LIGHT CRYSTAL?????

Warren: Stretched skull texture on the angled brushes... but they also don't line up correctly with the adjacent face. Otherwise cool, love the lava vomit face. 
Ok 
Send me the level today! Go map, you scums :) 
Entries 
So far I have received entries from:

Arrrcee
MFX
Scampie
Skacky
Ijed (v2)

I am waiting on submissions from Warren and possibly FifthElephant (go map!) which have until the end of today (roughly 14-16 hours depending on how long I stay up tonight :D ) and then I will start building the pack and testing the maps etc.

If anyone wants to help me test then let me know and I'll send you a link once I've built the pack. Thanks all! 
I May Do A Final Final Compile To Fix A Texture Error Then 

"************ ERROR ************
Degenerate edge at (0.000 0.000 0.000)"

Fuck.

The world's most content free error message.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother... 

It's for the love of brushes. 

submitted something, did you receive my email daz? 

Submitted to Daz ... not my greatest achievement but deadline has already slipped, so go forth!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/161473/Misc/MapJam5/MapJam5_Warren.jpg

The map doesn't have a unique hook either. I'M A REBEL.

The idea is that your minions are the enforcers preventing a break out from this underworld prison ... shoot and gib escaping monsters.

Various Shubs watch. 
Submitted Mine 

Oh, and since this was such a race to get working to submit it ... it's not even clipped properly. Also, expect many texture misalignments.

Enjoy! 
Final Entries 
Ok, I have received entries from 8 peoples now. I have also received some updated maps which I have incorporated into the pack.

I am assuming that everyone that is going to submit a map has done so now. THIS IS THE FINAL CALL! :D

If you still have a map you want to submit you better send it damn quick!

confirmed entries are :

Arrrcee
FifthElephant
Ijed
MFX
Scampie (v2)
Skacky (v2)
Hypnos
Warren 

8 people is a solid turn out, nice everyone! 
Where The Fuck 
Is the negke/Madfox collab 

Nice One Gays. 

DaZ 
are you going to play this one live ? :) 
Scampie 
lovely lighting 
Yeah I Will Do A Stream! 
pew pew 
RELEASED 
Map Jam 5 is released : http://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61200

Thank you to everyone who took part and helped test the pack! <3 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.