News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Explore Jam 2
Explore jam 2:
No monsters. Instead you can have traps, crushers, jumping puzzles, anything that comes to your mind to entertain a player without monsters.

Not restricted to any texture theme: it may id medieval, runic, base or any custom texture set or mix of them.

Examples: 1 2

Deadline - January 7th

As an experiment you may add monsters to your map on skill 0.
Vanilla? 

Yep 

Deadline? 
Date- 7 jan 2017, time - ? (in UTC) 
Time 
I want to release it on jan 8th, so I want to recieve all the map to jan 7th, early jan 8th is the latest time to send the maps. But I hope to get all entries to jan 7. Don't plan anything epic, no monsters maps are usually small but with lots of stuff in them. 
Deadline ? 
For an exploration theme, I think the deadline is way too short. Give the mappers at least a full week, so they could add interesting details to look at ! 
It Is Fine 
This prevents from people running away with their map. Short and concise is great for this! 
Barnak 
Explore jam is not about making large gorgeous environments, it's about something simple and interesting. The first exlore jam had one day deadline (which was extended to 2 days) and 1024 box restiction. This one provides some more time. tbh I can hardly imagine a big map without mosters that doesn't fall in getting repeatative. So making something short is the key. 
Some Deets 
What water alpha are we dealing with here since it is vanilla?

Anything else to note that wasn't in the main post? 
Wateralpha 0.65 

So what can you do to this map jam exactly, sorry it was a little unclear to me.

Puzzles only, but no jumping puzzles? No jumping at all, only something interesting to look at but not interact? 
Newhouse 
I think that the jumping puzzles are allowed. Only monster are forbidden. 
The original post is badly worded. I think it means "no monsters, but everything else is fair game". 
Oh True 
no monsters is the main statement, the rest is the list of examples what can be there: traps, crushers etc. 
Thanks Moderators 

updated post to say "No monsters. Instead you can have traps, crushers..." 
Good Luck 
I really struggled to make something for the last explore jam. It's harder than you think! 
Fifth 
You have another chance.

But you're right, it's not that easy to make maps without monsters, but it's an interesting challenge. 
I'm In 
i'll make one
it's ok to use skills to tweak the difficulty of jumps?
so, i put three func_walls, with spawnflags "not on easy/normal/hard"

i may drop it later. 
Topher 
yep, it's fine 

What is the maximum length | height of the jump in vanila Quake? 
Aww Man January 7th? 
I'm in. Who needs sleep? 
@DOOMer 
These based on what I tried in Quakespasm.

About 192 pixels or bit more, if you're thinking about running and jumping right from the edge and both platforms are in a same height.

Jumping up max is 40 but try to prefer 32 pixels. 
How Do You Make A Healing Pool In Vanilla Quake? 

Healing Pool In Id1: 
Pool of water with a func_illusionary bottom with health packs hidden underneath. 
Like The Healing Pool On E4M4? 
;-) 

Yep, so it is func_illusionary. It would be so nice to place multiple health pack on same spot, if I add target key to each pack and they one by one turns on unactive health packs that are on same spot? 
Now Streaming Explorejam 2 
@newhouse 
Maybe a plat that pushes health kits into the player? 
@dumptruck_ds 
I think delaying triggers would be easier* 
The Very Beginning 
Sweet 
Lovely! 
This Is My Beginning 
i made this today.
i copied the skybox from retrojam6, but i will change it later.

http://imgur.com/a/P6bwp 
Newhouse 
try a trigger_hurt with a negative damage value and a trigger with a delay that will kill the trigger_hurt after a short amount of time. 
In Hindsight That Is Awful, Don't Do That 
The player makes the pain animation and sound.

Instead do this:

- make a func_wall
- give it a touch property with the value health_touch
- give it a healamount property with the value of health you want the player to heal
- give it a noise property with the value of the sound you want it to use (be sure the have an entity in the level that uses that sound for precaching)
- create a system of delays to trigger each func wall you set up in this manner.

.map and .bsp for inspection: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108695968/healpool_test.zip

I used a basic delay with killtargets and alternating func walls to achieve the delay. 
Oh 
and before you jump in the pool for testing reduce your health otherwise it will do nothing

console command "give health 20" will work just fine. 

Thank you shamblernaut, healing pool will be really important and also the landmark.

I already made my jumping puzzles on retrojam 6, for this I will introduce other puzzles I have to cut off. But still I have to think what is possible in such a tight schedule. It will have the same outer world void theme and teleports, so I don't need to spend time on that part. 
I'm In 
Played with some brushes and just going to have fun with it...nothing grandiose this time!

Also, anyone have any insight on post #17986 in the mapping thread, it is grinding my func_trai--er gears. 
+3 Buttons? 

Hmph. This is harder than i thought! Im giving it my best shot though! 
It Starts To Grow 
Map Hud Almost Done 
Looking Good PulSar~ 

And One More Screenshot 

PuLSaR: Hmmm, lava and dark dungeons... Couldn't be more different from your Explore Jam 1 map. Cool! I mean, not in the sense "I didn't like your XJ1 map", more like "variety of environments is always nice".

NewHouse: Ah, I see you kept the egyptian look of RJ6. Nice! Perfect setting for a puzzle-based level. I'll be curious to see what you can do with a nomonsters map. BTW, hud? Do you mean hub? 

Newhouse: looks nice, I love the water texture

Mugwump: I always try to make something in a different style, especially for map jams. That's why I didn't use sock's texture set for retrojam 6. As for this setting, I always wanted to make a map in this style and it's copypaste friendly which is important when your are limited on time.

The only texture sets that I never get tired from are runic and knave. 
Pulsar 

I'm making one part where player has to move really quickly and doing jumping and stuff. Is it fine to use skill levels to specify how fast everything happens? Hard is like the you barely make it, once you know what to do? I will make skill select room to my map and I will state it very clearly what every skill level actually means. 
Jammin 
Topher: Looks very unqiue with all of the floating platforms!

Pulsar: Good stuff man, very HOT!

NewHouse: Looks otherwordly and I love it...nice water! I think that's a good way to introduce skill levels to the map...I think I will stick with no skill levels as I want to focus on gameplay first and foremost. 
@Bloughsburgh 
Thank you, surely gameplay is the main focus. In my case there will not be much to play, unless I increase difficulty in some puzzles.

What I did with skill levels was, I made different versions of doors and buttons, speed from hard to easy 50/45/40. Something really simple of course. I assume you're focusing on water element a bit, since you're really good at it~ 
@Mugwump 
Thank you, yes I totally misspelled "hub", in finnish it is just "hud" it sounds nicer. One of reason why I kept the same style, is because in rj6 map I planned there be these puzzles, so this will be a little extra for that. 
Sorry Triple Post 
Don't know why I keep saying "hub", I surely mean "hud". 
WIP 
Nah, I am not getting too invested with water stuff. I want to use Jams as an excuse to experiment with new ideas.

Instead, I am going this direction!

http://www.quaketastic.com/files/screen_shots/dingy.jpg 
That's Cool, Guys 
Bloughsburgh: looks cool, Koohoo style

Newhouse: cool idea with skill settings.

My map will be more slow paced, than my explore jam 1 entry. I will have 3 goals (one main and 3 optional): find the way to exit, find all shootable buttons and find 4 runes. 

It is good to experiment new stuff, and it looks really good so far.

I try to separate two types of puzzles, time based and memory based puzzles. 
Explore 
This is a very challenging jam because Quake really excels at having monsters to fight!

I'm going with a bit of gimmicks with mine...sorta thinking Mario 64 style where the world holds small sections that oppose a variety of challenges to reach a "cookie"

It seems to fun but who knows! 

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/gyAvt

I went into this with a completely different mindset. Usually i start my maps with exploring visual ideas, then i sketch some layouts and think about progression etc. then i start to work on the map on trenchbroom. But now I started with trenchbroom just creating brushes after brushes, it's a total mess and i dont know if i can release my map. we shall see. 
Naitelveni 
Looks cool, I hope I'll make it 

*you'll 

my map will be more simple than i tought.
damn, mapping is hard. i need two or three months and play maps with "mapper's eyes" (?) to start grasping things. 
Nait 
Whoa that looks crazy, please scale back the scope if it means you can finish it!

Are those clouds? :OO 
Its Snow! 

Even Better! 
Nice idea, looking forward to it...

Finish it! >:( 
AD Mod For Future Explorerjam/obstaclejam 
Something to think about for future explorerjams with AD mod, on top of what sock said about complete control of entities you also have the ability to strip the player of all weapons (but the axe)!

This could be awesome for some exploration/obstacle dungeons featuring monsters as traps/challenges, with the breakable system you could spice it up even further, the player must chop his way through some wooden beams before the slowly-rising elevator (containing a monster) comes into play. :)

You just have to make it clear to the player that killing monsters is not the goal for this map, the goal is to make it out alive! Maybe survivaljam? :D 
How Much Time Left In Hours? 
So I can make a schedule when sleep and when map* 
24 Hours For Sure 
maybe a little more 

That should be enough, I really have to finish this one. 
Me Too 

I wont be able to finish :( i havent even compiled once.

heres what i have so far though:

http://imgur.com/wilFmqM 
Mukor 
hey, you still have time. I hope you'll make it 
I Had To Cancel My Entry 
RL got hectic. Looking forward to these guys. I had some ideas but no time. Maybe DLC or the next one. 

Im going to try and put more work in but im not sure itll be enough. 
Ok 
Deadline extended to Jan 8th 19 pm GMT 
Get To Work! 

Is It Possible To Toggle Lights On And Off (delay How Long "on") 

Random Shot 

I knew it, water element ;) 
trigger_relay maybe?
example:
light with targetname "l1"
trigger_button or trigger_multiple, turns two relays with the same targetname "tr1". one relay with delay 0 (or 1, or 2, etc). the other relay with delay 20. then trigger_button/trigger_multiple will need a wait of 20 at least.

that might work 
Screenshot 
Naitelveni 
omg, pretty epic 
My Map Will Feel Ashamed 
to be seen next to your map

i spent two hours trying to make things rotated 30� without non-integer vertexes. i did eventually, but that time should have been spent more productively 
Another Screenshot 
Newhouse 
Looks good! 
Nait 
there's multiple suns you can place for outdoor areas. Use sunlight and sunlight2 on your world key. Also, lighting can be improved with _bounce and sunlight_penumbra.

Look at the light.txt with your compiling tools! 
Or Just Look At This 

http://imgur.com/a/IY09k

I think ill be ready tomorrow! :) 
Wow 
That's huuuge! 
@Naitelveni 
Ah, seems like you're making a garden/labyrinth~

Can't wait to get lost there, in a good way of course. 
Newhouse 
thats what it is going to be. 
Almost Finished 
Epic! 

Although This Uses Id1 
It isn't a retrojam right?

I exceeded some limits... 
Holy Fuck Pulsar 

What An Adventure Awaits Us* 

Just Saw This 
Hadn't checked func in a few days and saw this jam mentioned by Pulsar on twitter. Wish I'd seen it sooner, sounds like great fun!~ 
I Really Hope This 24 Hours Is Enough* 
I haven't even finished my biggest puzzle part, a lot of painkillers might make it possible. 
Pulsar 
Noice. Getting a Februus-meets-Honey vibe. Like czg had a baby with czg and called it "czg". 

i'm going slower than i thought. i will cut part of the map and release instead of not releasing anything. it will be a very short map. well, at least the part that is done it's also playtested. by me. have fun circle jumping. or hate me, because i think it may be hard for some 
My Map Wont Be Vised 
So potatoes might explode ;) 
Nait 
did you use func_details? 
Submitted! 
Bless You! 

A Vision Of Things That Never Were 
Started throwing something together, but ran out of time, as I was quite short on it this week.

It will probably be cannibalized into a future SP map.

http://imgur.com/a/eBSQQ 

that looks fucking awesome ionous! 

It will be great, when finished~ 
Ok, I've Got 2 Entries Apart From Mine 
anyone else to come? 

Still working on my map.. it will take some time, I try to finish last puzzle as fast as possible. Other than that, it is in a good shape.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwxYkKdSD855dWJwWW5neFRfbjg/view?usp=sharing 

BTW is it fine to submit then two files, skill select map and an actual map right after it? 
Newhouse 
you can add skill selection room right in your map: place info_player_start in the skill selection room, and place rune right at player's spawn point. Then use info_player_start2 at the actual start of the map. trigger_changelevel should target the same map name. 
Ill Do One More Build Of My Map And Ill Send You The Download Link 

My Map Is Ready! 
Download
http://www.mediafire.com/file/8il918aradz6foo/Explore2_naitelveni.zip

this map has only been -fast vised! I have not expirienced any performance issues.

Gameplay: this is a puzzle game, and you need to figure out how to solve this and how to approach this. 

Sorry. I wasnt able to come up with anything. :( 

;-; 
@Pulsar 
Soon I start working on my skill select room. This is my first time ever making that, but I quess where to get some references... did Bloughsburgh made in rj5 skill select room the way you described? 

check out fallen1c from sock. i copied the hack from there
things that you need: info_player_start; info_player_start2; a rune (this is the hack); a changelevel with the same map name. skill select area should be isolated.

it's the same thing that happen in start.bsp of the original game, when you finish a episode 
Start 
Yep fallen1c is where I got the design from. My rj5 map also does the same thing so copy either one. 
Thank You~ 

@Pulsar 
Doing my last compile now, I send mail soon. 
Sent* 

There is couple warnings and it is not flawless by any mean, but hopefully at least Quakespasm users can play it without any issues.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwxYkKdSD855Zi05eGVNMVB0TDg/view?usp=sharing 
It's Coming Very Soon 
contains five entries 
Ready 
while waiting for new approval here's a screenshot: http://www.quaketastic.com/files/screen_shots/explorejam2.png 
Why Dont My Colored Lights Work? 

there isn't a .lit file in the jam 
Here 
Naitelveni 
Did you include the lit file in the archive that you send to me?

Anyway, I'll update the archive as soon as I get home 
Pulsar 
nope! I never knew you had to include it. =) 
@Naitelveni 
Was in your rj6 map colors too? (Sorry haven't played anything yet) 
Newhouse 
My rj6 map didnt have colored lights 
Newhouse 
I played your dark and hard map.

..lol 
@Naitelveni 
If you mean my rj6 map, then yes.
If explorejam2, then use options, lighting is brighter there. 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.