News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Register | Log in
New Q2SP Unit By Quakeulf
I know there are some Quake II fans around here.
This is a great 3 map unit. Quality stuff.

Screenshots & Download: http://colonthreeenterprises.tumblr.com/post/156354414901/my-quake-2-unit-is-finally-here-3c-it-has

wow, screenshots look really good. 
They Look Very Proper Q2. 

Cogs! 

Looks Beautiful 

This was fun.

That rotating sequence made me wish the game would rotate the player along with the floor; which is funny, considering that in most cases I want the opposite.

My only complaint is that the unit is too short. 
Wow 
looks very nice.
Might just have to reinstall q2 - Think I asked this before somewhere but what is the q2 equivalent of like fitzquake? 
Q2 
Thanks 

It looks really great, and I wish the gameplay matched.

I am convinced I have done something wrong with playing this. Are you really supposed to start with ~4 HP, and be expected to survive through a gauntlet of infantry before the first health kit? 

It's not that hard, even when the hitscanners show up. 
Yamagi Is Great 
The only thing I wish it had is the faster downloading support and software render. Other than that it's an amazing port (with active development) that is very faithful to the original. 
Software 
Is not something I'd want for q2. The game was designed for 3d acceleration.
I'm sure you still can get something similar by changing the texture mode if you like the blocky look 

The qbism super8 dev did some work on a Q2 software renderer:

https://qbism.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6&sid=9d7894b96e2054055b76a88a286046f2

I haven't tried to play the whole game that way, but at first glance it looks fun. 
A Damn Good Offering... 
..really enjoyable and oozing classic-ness. Good moments all over.

The one thing here you might want to look into may be the mini boss encounters, all taking place in unfitting rooms, the Mega Tank bordering on ridiculous.

Only found a couple of secrets, but I suspect (hope) the "Strogg only" doors have a reason to be.

Strangely, the humorous remarks on items pickup conveyed a retro/doomish feel in my head. These are nice! I always thought that Q2 was a bit lacking in that department.

Gonna dive back in on skill 3... 
Very Nice 
I didn't find it overly difficult, even after years of absence from Q2. The again, went in having read czg's comment, and only on skill 1. 
Going To Be Playing Through This In About An Hour 
I Got Stuck And Gave Up 
On level one, couldnt figure out how to get the blue key, every door I tried was locked. I also found a couple of 'dead man walking' bugs. 

yeah i also spent quite some time looking for that

what i found out was:

- there's adrenaline in one of the corners in the water

- dive under the blue key and look up there's a shootable button on the ceiling which breaks the glass, giving the blue key access 
Finally Completed It 
Pros

- Lots of really awesome architecture
- Ammo seemed pretty well balanced (until you get the rail gun and you end up armed to the teeth)
- fights were mostly pretty good
- lots of repopulation and re-use of areas

cons

- important areas don't always look important enough
- convoluted progression
- spent 30 minutes looking for the exit on map 3 because the ladder had zero lighting near it and was shrouded in darkness
- no final fight! 
Just Finished It 
Great level unit. thanks to the author. there were unfair moments in the gameplay though i was trapped in the tight corridor with two mutants and nowhere to run.

btw, is there some q2 compiling guru? i'd like to make a mod with the faster switching weapons 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.