News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Post Some Mapping Ideas...
...for fun because none of you lazy fuckers are going to act on the ideas you've dreamed up let alone ones suggested for you!!

But it still might be interesting. For any game or game mode you like, give details and reasons if you like.

Here's 3 for starters:

> A church within a church. Or any cool building with a similarly themed larger building. Someone was telling me recently about this vast cathedral in Italy that was built around a smaller, intact, chapel. Sounds well cool...

> A Quake map/unit, preferably Zerstorer themed, using the rapid teleporting trickery exhibited in Starbuck's classic speedmap. It was hilarious in that but I imagine it could be used in a very nasty and evile way - teleporting in and out of brutal scenes, gibs and random acts of violence. Something very hellish and scary.

> <Shambler> curved crate!
* Starbuck brain explodes
<Shambler> a prize for the first mapper to make a playable map out of a globular crate
<Starbuck> curved crate !!sdfsd
<Starbuck> wait, isnt that a barrel?
<Shambler> no
<RPG> No, that's cylindrical.
<Shambler> gotta be crate textures and stuff
<Shambler> with an opening curved lid and all
<Starbuck> just curved corners?
<Shambler> globular
<Shambler> floating in the void
<Shambler> with a top you open to get inside
<Shambler> and "gameplay" inside
<Starbuck> and this would be the perfect map, yes?
<Shambler> which may just be filling it with fiends, spawn, quads and pents, the monsters of course will sink to the bottom along with the player
<Shambler> starbuck: possibly not.
Inside A Creature's Organ Systems... 
Okay, this was done in System Shock 2 (quite nicely) and Unreal 2 as well but it is a freaky and neat setting. Requires excellent use of ambient sounds.

It would probably be best made using a game engine that has an editor that works well with organic geometry. Modelling such a realm in Q1 would be torture. 
Tssk 
curved surfaces! wow, let's make a colonic mod, set in the bowels of a ww2 soldier! and let's make it realistic! 
Underwater Base 
seems fucking obvious, but I dont re-call any good underwater base maps for Quake.

Tell me if Im missing one tho :) 
Wrath 
LOL, make sure it's filled with one shot kill hitscan enemies around every artery though. 
Problem With Under-water Base In Q1.. 
There's no glass. And I know you can slip in an invisible brush to block you from swimming when you're not supposed to.. but it still looks like water mysteriously sitting there. 
Underwater.. 
at one point kell and I were discussing this, for either quake or HL, a map set in underwater ruins where most of it is swimming/exploration and fighting swimming enemies, and though you get biosuits part of the gameplay is making it from air pocket to air pocket (think e1m4).

wrath: that was amusing 
Teh Base... 
The start/intro the the final Daikatana levels looked very cool in that way. Unfortunately the levels themselves totally sucked ww2 soldier's rancid colon.

Transparency....isn't there anyway to h4x0r this up? 
Err... Probably Wrong But... 
Two invisible brushes with an enclosed "empty" space in between them? 
Wrong! 
Wouldn't both the brushes and the empty space be completely transparent? You need some visual effect there. 
Pretty Sure It Can't Be Done In Regular Quake 
tomazquake lets you set transparency of brushes though.

the best i think you could do would be to use the old QuakeLab style glass, as seen on
http://www.planetquake.com/quakelab/tricks.htm

it clips you and stops weapons fire, but you can see through it. Its really not so bad when its used in something that looks like a small window (with bars and frame detail). Alternatively, maybe something could be done with particle fields, i dunno 
Yeah 
a force field thingy around the window frame or some shit like that. could probably be done with a texture. 
Og, I Forgot 
can i count on that as my annual on topic relevant contribution, and in doing so - continue to be a complete asshole for another year? 
I Think.. 
You could just put up a brush that has the same water texture, only animated and with a glass layer painted over it... which would work, since you can't see through.. well, you can see through water if you have it patched.. eh.. 

layout based on the bodies blood flow 
If I Remember Correctly 
one (maybe more) of czg's abandoned maps had a pseudo transparancy effect... might have been one of the doom textured ones. It was slightly flickery, made me think it was being triggered repeatedly very fast 
Wrath: 
You're exempt from having to contribut a relevant post. Just be an asshole okay =) 
Shamb 
To christ - a cross, to me - a tazer, a shotgun, a pitchfork, high voltage over tcp/ip technology and my own death-ray orbital platform.

x o x o x 
Just... 
don't use glass. 
Metl... 
for president. 
Glass Transparency Problems 
you cant seriously belive that no mapper has tried making an underwater base level just because he cant make good glass? That sucks! :D 
Btw: 
glass over water is easy to hack into a map for glquake. tell people to turn on transparent water, vis the map for transparency, and use a flat light blue/white colored texture named '*myglass' or something like it on a skinny brush that's over the water. only problem with this is that you'd still need the 'glass' trick starbuck mentioned if you wanted it to be solid. 
Er... 
if you don't get my explanation, what I mean is the make a flat colored liquid texture. then it doesn't 'wave', and a light color like blue can make it appear really nice. you'd probabally need some experimentation to get it right. 
Scumpie... 
...yah that's what I was thinking of, but don't you need to have r_wateralpha 0.2 or something that low for it to work?? 
Scampie: 
except that the *myglass would be all warpy...

I'd suggest making a sprite that uses SPR_ORIENTED as its orientation, and is basically transparent except for some white diagonal streaks. It would look cartoony, but at least people would know it was glass, and it would work in all engines (but requires a new progs.dat, of course) 
Metlslime: 
that's why you use a flat, single colored texture. 
Scampie: 
okay, i think that would work. 
And... 
...answer my Q plx. 
Shambler: 
not really sure. like I said, some experimentation would be needed. I would think with a light color, or something close to the water color, you'd suggest the glass well enough for anyone to know it's glass. 
Hm! 
I've always wanted to make a map called "Stones 'n' bones" with lots of boneish, skullish, skeletonish architecture, but hey, I suck, n0 skill etc. so I abandoned the idea.
Besides, probably no monster would fit such a map well, because all of them except fiend and enforcer suck =)

On the other hand, I could fill my post just with "I've always wanted to make a map" ;) 
METL! 
You do that progs.dat, kthx :E 
METL! 
You do that progs.dat, kthx :E 
Equilibrium 
this film has some awesome bold blocky architecture for the buildings in the city, it looks a lot like German ww2 military buildings and gave me great inspiration for mappage.

The film is ok as well, but watch it for mapping ideas! :) 
No! 
watch it for the cool fight scenes and how christian bale is aping Keanu but still comes out with a better performance.

BTW, I thought the architecture in the film was highly influenced by Metropolis. 
Making An Underwater Base... 
Just gathering inspiration to work on something new and quakish since the urge is hitting me. I thought about an underwater base once but never did it, in good part because it is hard making windows out into the ocean.

I think I might have the solution.

The reason the water textures have all those curves on and stuff is because it is the best quake could come to what moving water looks like from above right?

Well then, what does water look like if you were deep underwater looking out through a window?

That's right, deep blue (or possibly black depending on how deep you are)

Just make an invisible brush to act as the "glass", then outside the window build a largish enclosed space, textured with a dark blue colour.

Stick a few boxes looking like bubbles moving around on func_trains, and maybe even a couple of slow moving fish and there you have it, a quake-tastic underwater environment.

I actually think this would be an okay challenge...might have to give it a try. :) 
Go For It Dude!! 
SM55 - underwater base speedmapping. Or something. 
Tron 
Great idea.

If it will help, you can also give brushes an "alpha" value to make them transparent, which can help a ton. It only works in the new engines that support alpha, but the effect may be worth-while. Also, colored lighting - when used sparingly - can be very helpful, too. A slightly blue tinted light drifting from the windows could definately add to the theme.

Good luck, sounds very interesting. 
A Bleh 
New engines definitely help here, for somebody's already made a skybox that's set underwater. 
Speaking Of New Engines... 
try quake3. 
Sm55: 
will be horror/halloween themed. sm54 will be whatever starbuck wants. 
Example Of Underwater Bases 
Deus-Ex had a cool underwater base mission. If was very well done and captured that sense of inky blackness of the deep cold sea.

There's also an underwater episode called Zero Black for Unreal made my EddX which can be found at UnrealSP.org.

UT had another underwater base map in the Assualt section.

I can't remember how these maps handles the glass look. BTW, the coolest glass effect I've seen is in Unreal 2. 
...and 
of course Enclave had one underwater map with cool ambient sounds and details. 
UT's Underwater Infiltration Map... 
...didn't have much in the way of ambience (lighting or sound), but I did like the idea of the layout, and the way players must swim down to it. 
Underwater Base 
Preacher came around in #tf some time ago (a year or so?) and had a link for an old unfinished underwater base q2sp... 
Hmm 
The problem with using a plain water texture and glquake is that although it makes glass (it was my initial reaction too), you then have the water behind it at the same alpha, which would look weird (I figure, haven't actually tried it).

On newer engines, what metlslime said :)

Basically, if I want to use a new engine to get new effects, I may as well map for some shiny new game.

Oh, and wrath; high voltage over tcp/ip technology

I'm glad someone else wants that :) 
Underwater Base 
I want to make a map themed around those LEGO sets that came out about 3-5 years ago, the ones with submarines and underwater bases and big scientific research domes and and...

I LOVE legos. 
Q1 Fishbowl 
Made a func_door as a shape of a dome upside down into water. When the door lowers, the monster_fish appears transported, and surpri-ses the player.
But when the funny thing rises, the fishes dwell dry like drunken eels on a dish!
Sadly can only transport them once. 

Could I Lend Your Map? 
Finished two Quake1 maps this Haloween. The one with that fishbowl: KillingJoke and another one: LevelMorpher.
I have morphed two levels over eachother, ie
parts of e1m2 with parts of Ludovic Textier's
level: The EldenCross.
I did this after I had builed the levels myself, so I doesn't feel as stealing.
I asked myself, how to contact him, so I could
ask his opinion. Or anyone elses.
Afterall it is the level of someone elses, as e1m2 is. 
This Always Was The Mapping Ideas Thread 
HAH! 
Curved Crate, Eh? 
hmm... 
Out With The Old, In With The New 

I Cast "Resurrect Thread" 
Alright, what would you gentleman rather have:

1) A level that is almost completely free-roaming, with the potential to get wildly lost, but has some kind of "map" or other guidance system that the player can activate when stuck in order to give him a gentle nudge in the direction of the various "objectives".

2) A map with traditional quake-style progression i.e. semi-linear with your typical "follow the trail of carefully-placed monsters to find the way forward" stuff. 

Well no one has seen 1) yet, so we can't really know if it's any good, can we? 
Kinn 
you know what was great? The dreamcast version of Soul Calibur's mission mode, you went from area to area doing different battles, it had branching paths etc if I remember.

Having an actual map that you navigate and go to different areas is really nice IMO. I doubt you could do it with Quake without some redesign but it would be fun. I also love the way that Thief 1 and 2 did maps, you find or use hand-drawn maps that are usually incomplete in some way. Really adds to immersion. 

czg: well the most conservative thing to do would be to extend Quake's arrow-on-wall err "system" to make it more context sensitive - I'm sure people already do this (they trigger the arrows to turn on and off).

But what if you are at a hub with 5 possible routes you can take, which can all lead to different simultaneous objectives in the map? Could you have a multi-arrow design in the hub where individual arrows can turn off when the player has pressed a particular button / found the witch's merkin / whatever? Would be easy to do.

But in a really free-roaming map, full of loops and swiss cheese, you start to realise that almost every room is a hub. It would be a case of switchable arrows everywhere and I think it would be difficult finding the balance between signposting that dumbs it down too much vs. not enough signposting so the player keeps going round in circles. 

I did a 1) type map for Doom 2. It was a fairly well received level, but I know some people got frustrated with it. Maybe I made it a bit too big. 
I Meant That No One Has Seen A Free Roaming Quake Map Yet 
Not a mapping or guidance system.
Just have people print out a pdf or something. 

Ok so here's my utterly retarded idea:

Dotted throughout the map are funny little nests. If you leave them alone they do nothing but if you shoot/hit a nest, little glowing creatures pop out and quickly scurry off in all directions that lead to unfinished player objectives. The glowy creatures are quick so you can't keep up with them but it gives you a good start.

Bonus retardation: the colour of the creature can indicate the type of objective. 
Do A Map Of Your Map... 

#53 And #52 
There is one. The one i made for mapjam2 would suit that description more or less even if small. And we know what happened, it happened the same as like Rick's: leaving aside monster/ammo placement, people got frustrated of being lost and guides and hints provided weren't obvious enough, apart from some issues that weren't fixed (the door that lead to the GK's sound not being well heard enough for example, from what i remember).

If a map like that where to be done, it would need to tell the player before loading the type of map it is or showing it to the player on some way on the map itself, to prepare the player for what's coming and reduce the frustrations.

On the idea of the map for orientating, i am doing one that has something like that, that shows you the parts you visited already, but as the map is fairly the leading type there is no real need for it for orientating, so i am putting it as an easter egg for the fun of it. 

A retarded idea for the pile ... it would be neat to have timed barricades that would close up as areas of the map became unnecessary to complete the overall objective.

So if the player is lost, as they are wandering around non-essential areas will start closing off with gates or whatever so eventually, if you're lost long enough, only the golden path remains. But if you figure it out, you can just jam ahead and feel smart... 

WarrenM, that or something similar sounds interesting and has the advantage of being possible without custom progs.

I personally would prefer to keep the map open all the time though so that the player can wander around and go secret hunting at his leisure. 
Kinn 
Maybe this map, showing visited parts and player position, would be integrated into the environment. A base map would have several computer rooms at key points, where the player would see the map on a screen. 

Start by helping the player keep their bearings with strong, unique environment art. Styles, shapes, inside, outside, water, lava, up into the tower, down into the bowels.

Your level can signpost itself with its own form language. 

what lunaran said 
I Have This One Idea I'll Use For My Mod 
You progress through your typical quake map, you notice a big door that's locked, so you go on. You make it at what seems to be the end, but said exit is destroyed and a self destruct sequence appears as more monsters are spawned throughout the levels: Said door is now unlocked and you have to exit the level through here before the timer runs out.
The biggest challenge would be to 100% it, as some secrets would be unlocked (the same message played at the big locked door would appear before the countdown) and the biggest portion of monsters would appear. 

I really hate time pressure countdown levels but that's a personal preference. 
I Want This... 
just this... as a game, doesn't even have to be quake -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBQL4zsyKLk 
We Also ... 
had something like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orqXw9AeUgI

but instead of a dungeon master it was a mage doing the guiding.

I loved it back then. 
Actually This Fits Here As Well 
Ariadnes Thread, in a maze, vertical and horizontally. With demons snapping parts of and you have to find a way back through all those candles that have been blown out suddenly.. Chasms reaveal under broken stairs..
Much Kellness, books and blood.

Piranesi and all that.

Im not sure, but there are pages to be found, ripped from an arcane manuscript to mighty to be left intact, but you knew that maybe :P

I call it geocities, "What once bloomed is now dead"
or some other weird net reference, maybe the "big bubble burst of 200800" idk really.

The actual "ariadne thread thing" is only a hook to get into the map i'd say now. Maybe too error prone to switch bmodels on and off again for thread parts to re/disappear.

The actual map flow would be more quakey to the end.
Thats why we are here, right?

Go map! 

Someone should take the can-do-everything deep learning hype and make it process all the Quake maps to be able to generate new maps from it. 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.