News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Idbase Or Runic: Which Is The Better Set?
Here it is, the thread you've all been waiting for! The line in the sand has been drawn and sides are being chosen!

In this corner, weighting in at an impressive 5,000 pounds of pure metal, concrete and dohickies, the reigning champion of the world, it's IDBASE!

And it's challenger, sporting the blue and brown trunks, covered in arcane symbols, the master of darkness and evil, the RUNIC set!

Which will prevail as the top dog? Which is the better set for Quake maps? Why should mapper's choose one set over the other? Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children!?

idbase 
W00t 
idbase. 
You've Got To Be Fucking Joking!! 
Idbase are you mad?? A pile of bollox. Ikbase vs Runic you might have a fairly contest.

Anyway, fucking RUNIC.

It's what defines Quake, it's strongest theme, it's darkest atmosphere, it's most distinctive aesthetic. 
Shambler Is Ass 
idbase 

idbase 
Shambler 
not only do I share the opinion, but also the stonking incredulity at these cretinous philistines. Idbase is a hideous range of colors: it supposed, I presume, to represent militry green...but does it bollox. It's quite possibly the worst shades of green ever assembled in the name of design. I mean...they're PASTELS ffs! Pastels aren't even fashionable amongst artsy interior designers; they're despicably tasteless. And so is idbase.
Not to mention most of the idbase is composed of that bloody quake-shape monosymetrical hexagon - nowhere near as much versatility in application as the runic metal.
And the monitors...oh gods, not the monitors...

I say again - philistines! A pox on all yer kin! 
Bah 
I can't believe anyone gives a crap.

But I vote idbase purely to piss off Shambler. 
Wankers 
idbase 
RUNIC defines quake, it seperates it from the fold....

IDBASE is a more structured set althot not without its abundant variety of uses.

I vote....
*drumrool* *gasps* *women diving at his feet*

RUNIC! 
RUNIC defines quake, it seperates it from the fold....

IDBASE is a more structured set althot not without its abundant variety of uses.

I vote....
*drumrool* *gasps* *women diving at his feet*

RUNIC! 
Vote For Arnold 
free pies for everyone! 
Runic 
As if it were not immediately evident based upon the huge success and incredible quality that is known as RPGSP1. 
Not Much To Think About 
RUNIC is Quake!
RUNIC is master
RUNIC - RUNIC - RUNIC!! 

Runic 
Runic 
enough bases
styigan environment will never die 
Vondur 
you get a bonus point for using the word 'stygian', even though you did typo.
extra points for those who already knew what it meant...

...whaddya mean, patronising philology? :P 
:) 
yeah, my typing sucks last time ;) 
Runic - Blue - Metal! 
I luv this set

I prefer medieval maps more then base anyway cuz there are only few original base monsters (I think using medieval monsters in base maps sucks, even fiends or shamblers)

Once again: blue textures rock!! 
RUNIC 
Shall we gather by the river?

Stygian Ha! 
Hmm 
Runic, it's more versatile (and looks better to boot) 
Humbug 
I'll vote idbase if everyone promises to never, ever use it again. 
Idbase... 
Sucks.

Runic Rocks. 
No Contest. 
Idbase rules. Hehe, like I'd be saying otherwise... 
Runic. 
it's all i can map to. 
RUNIC! 
I would have to agree with everyone that said it defines the look of q1. 
RUNIC 
*BASE rox my cox [in da sox], but I dont think the same about pure IDBASE...

I'll give the trophy to RUNIC
but IDBASE comes a close SECOND. 
I'd Go With Runic 
Since you can use it with just about anything. Some cable runs, a few lumps of machinery - poof! Either it's Zerst´┐Żrer or Da Pak style 'eavy metal base (Or Speedy's type.) Toss in some bloodstains, demon-head plaques - zing! Welcome to Heck. Fling stone and brick around the place, and you get a nice medieval feel.

I keep saying I'm going to quit mapping next year, but I'm starting to reconsider. Again. 
Eat That CZG! 
The truth will out! Despite your puny attempts! 
Yes 
idbase was used only one 4 or so levels in quake.
other levels used ancient(runic etc) textures.
yet, there is q2, go eat base textures there, czg ;) 
By Far, 
RUNIC! Makes the Cyclopean, Lovecraftian come alive. [IDbase has its place, though, of course . . .].

P.S. - Do I get points for "Cyclopean?" 
We Can Only Wonder 
at what NotoriousRay's vote will be

(My vote goes for Runic though) 
Far By 
P.S. - Do I get points for "Cyclopean?"

Yes, you do ( though, technically, 'cyclopean' refers to architecture made from large blocks of stone; in this context, though, I'll accept it ) 
It Depends, Really... 
When Quake was released, low poly was key. idbase is well suited to low poly.

Runic can be used in higher poly situations.

It really does depend on what your target machine is, really. 
Ugh 
Runic? The better set? PUH-LEASE! You bunch must be 15 year old satanists to like running around in the dark looking at brown rivets, blue metal, and grey candy stripes on repeat.

Idbase is the heart and soul of Quake. Remember the storyline? Technology goes evil and heywire and teleports monsters to earth? That's right, idbase is the reason all those other sets exsist! If not for idbase, Quake would be just a random mishmash of evil and incoherancy.

It's use in custom maps demands skill, unlike the runic set's 'throw the same 4 textures together, shake, serve' approach. Idbase has skinny and fat trims, cool doors, and walls with infinite possiblity for cutting and mixing your own versions. The textures are so well designed that you can easily use them on angled surfaces and create your own interesting look and style. The defined edges of the textures mean the mapper must use them in good alignment, unlike runic's use by 'slapping these things randomly on blocks and moving on'. Idbase's grace and beauty cannot be denied when used with skill.

And let's talk about setting and theme for a bit. Runic... runic... wtf IS that theme? Is it trying to be dark and scary? Is it trying to be industrial? Where the fuck are you and why do you care? I have a hard time suspending belief for most maps textured in the insanely halfassed runic set.

On the flip side, Idbase proudly wears it's status as a military base. You know where you are, and know why you care that monsters are invading your base! Going to their worlds and killing them is no better than murder, and that's exactly what you do in runic maps, Mr. 'George W.'! Idbase, while normally only populated by dogs, grunts, and enforcers, can easily be used with other invading demons like fiends, rottfishes, orges, and spawn. Don't tell me your choices are limited, that only means your mind is limited to thinking only what id originally did in their base maps was the way it had to be done.

I think you runic fans need to get out more and stop jerking off to Lovecraft long enough to relieze you're a bunch of pathetic losers who would rather vague evil and satan than the true excellance of design that is Idbase. 
Go Eat A Dick 
Runic wins! 
No, Scampie Wins! 
Runic is just a blocky half-assed set of one<i/> type of wall, and two or three trims. (Oh, and wizmet1_2.) Creative designs in runic maps are usualy limited to maybe an angled doorframe or perhaps a bevel of some sorts in a corner. The atmosphere in a runic map spans the enitre breathtaking spectre of Dark whatever with lava to Dark whatever with glowing red runes. The success of mixing and matching other sets with runic just stands to show that runic is a poor texture scheme with no engaging theme on its own.

Idbase on the other hand has a plethora of assorted walls, trims, floors and details that can give birth to an orgasmic frenzy of themes that all give a strong sense of place and atmosphere. To make a level designed in idbase look good, it depends on the author being creative with angles, trims and details, making neat insets and details that match up with the decidedly un-angular designs of the textures. The atmosphere can span anything from a dark underground laboratory with claustrophobic corridors linking up deplorable, dark rooms where unmentionble experiments take place, to lofty bunker complexes, washed out and bleak from the blasting sun that throws its thin and fumbling rays into deep bowels covered in dust and echoing with the howling of wind.

And I also agree with scampie regarding the lovecraft wankers bit. Lovecraft wrote horrificly tedious stories about... well, who knows, he never let us know!!!

Meh 
tags = teh s4wk 

The defined edges of the textures mean the mapper must use them in good alignment, unlike runic's use by 'slapping these things randomly on blocks and moving on'. Idbase's grace and beauty cannot be denied when used with skill.

http://xen.quakepit.com/e3m1.jpg 
Oh Yeah, Vote... 
Runic. It offered a refreshing alternative to Quake's trademark brown; grey! 
Http://xen.quakepit.com/e3m1.jpg 
Noone ever said the original id maps were exactly masters of texture alignment...
Idbase's grace and beauty cannot be denied when used with skill like it isn't in that pic. 
Czg 
Creative designs in runic maps are usualy limited to maybe an angled doorframe or perhaps a bevel of some sorts in a corner.

And giant penises. Duh.

And the fact that runic doesn't require you to use the same repeating panel textures at high grid numbers is freeing. It's like walking around your house in the nude, except you don't get cold in the winter. 
Mr Czg 
You calling Romero unskilled?

WELL?!

ARE YOU?!!?!? 
Yes. 
I think he is... 
Case In Point: 
<cheap shot>
Daikatana.
</cheap shot> 
Actually 
I take that back.
It's a bit low, even for me... 

It's like walking around your house in the nude, except you don't get cold in the winter.

Double windows. 
Actually 
I do see your point :-p 
Hmm 
If not for idbase, Quake would be just a random mishmash of evil and incoherancy

Um... Oh I can't be arsed to say it. 
And The Final Verdict Is... 
<TastyPie> czg anal intrudes cows tight ass btw 
To All The Runic Fanboys: 
I hear you guys have really small dicks. 
Maybe 
but at least we don't stick them in domesticated animals 
For What It's Worth 
The Base is where it all begins and attention to alignment is a must to make convincing base maps. I like well made Base maps.

However, I vote for Runic because Quake is about going against one's better judgement and with conviction leaping into portals that launch you well away from human occupied territory and into the hot magic bowels of fiery environments made by purely evil minds who have no safety codes to follow. The complementary enemies of this tex scheme is what defines Quake, IMHO. 
Actually, 
technically, Start is where it all begins... 
No Contest 
The success of mixing and matching other sets with runic just stands to show that runic is a poor texture scheme with no engaging theme on its own.

bollox... or a series of grammatical errors and you actually meant "it is a fine texture scheme that, while having an engaging theme of its own, also allows for thematic expansion by successfully combing with other texture sets"

Metal 4 eva 
Runic 
czg is gay and runic rules 
2 Cents Worth 
personally I think runic is good on average to above average looking maps (architecture wise), for more complex stuff, idbase looks better IMHO. 
Seriously 
I could count the number of original idbase maps on one hand. One hand with no fingers. 
So That Would Be... 
one? 
I Came Pretty Late To Be Throwing In My Opinion Now But... 
I personally think it's okay if a map artist uses idbase textures if he's making a military installation, and runic textures if he's making a dark medieval environment. I personally consider it very important that the artist either have some idea of what he's going to do before deciding on a texture set, and then chooses textures based on that (ie Well, I'd like to make a dark hellish dungeon with iron bars and bloody walls, but I've already decided on idbase, and that could fit... ;P ); or, the mapper picks a texture set he likes and lets the ideas flow from there (ie, I feel like runic today), but does so without blind bias.

If you want to make a military installation, but are morally opposed to using idbase, then you're on your own for textures. There are many textures out there that are admittedly way better than idbase, but they may not fit your theme, if you can even find what you want. Idbase is both classic, and easy to get a hold of. It's ugly as sin, but that can be cleverly disguised by proper use. Runic to me is boring, and it has a tendency to make me immediately feel bored, tired, lost & confused, and often makes me have to squint to see it. It does this because that's how I felt when playing the original ID1 maps that got past M4-5 in episodes 3 and 4. I'd just get lost and bored. And all too many custom maps that use them insist on making the map so dark I can't see where I'm going anywhere that doesn't have lava. However, I've seen runic textures used perfectly, creating an environment that grabs my interest on first sight.

So I don't think either texture is better than the other. It all comes down to creativity and skill of use.

But enough middle-manning. It's time to take a stand. When asked whether I prefer ID base or Runic, I choose... something else, usually.

Really, I like RPG's maps, Mr.Fribbles' maps, czg's maps, and a whole host of others. Some use idbase, some use runic, but most use whatever the hell fit their needs. Some even use a combination, if that fits their needs.

And in a pinch, I'd pick ID Base, because I really like millitary installations. They're more "atmospheric" and "intimidating" to me than what's being passed off as a hellish alternate universe. I enjoy games like Dino Crisis partly because they have so many 'more-modern than rocks and sticks' military/industrial facilities, which I recognize immediately and tend to relate to more. When I'm in a runic environment, stuff just seems silly to me. Structures are just there to look good or direct movement etc.

The same could be said by someone else, but in reverse. I don't deny that, but I do have my opinion. 
As If You Couldn't Guess.. 
E M B R A C E T H E B A S E

let us not foget the CRATE'S native theme!!! 
You Fool! 
Crates aren't native to idbase. They are transcendent constructs that permeate all the known universes, several unknown universes, and one or two imaginary ones known only to myself and Aristotle.

After all, was it in Quake that Crate DM was made? No! 'Twas Quake II. Even medieval themes have crates, and never mind urban. They're everywhere and everywhen! So pah! on your crates, and ptooey! as well, they'll never take me alive, you've seen the posters, "Wanted: Dead or Washed," ptooey ptoing ping ploppy plee pli plo... 
Hehe... 
Fatty smokes more Elf-weed than anyone. 
No 
Fatty has simply achieved a higher level of 'crate' than the rest of us 

Try not to think about it in terms of being 'inside' or 'outside' the crate, instead, become one with the crate, and relieze that the crate itself does not exist, there's only you. 
What Do I Put Here 
Q3CTF4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ill snipe all ur asses! rofl 
Oic 
o my bad i thot we were talking about lvls....................................................... 
Hay Guys What Is Going On In This Msgboard 
HOW DO I SHOT WEB?! 
I LIKE LINUX AND GETTING KICKED IN THE BALLS AND FACE 
LINUX FAQ FAQ:

1) Woah what do i type here?
-> ANSWERS TO QUESTION

2) Are you god lol?
-> lol no

3) Nvidia is a company i heard about in a magazine
-> what magazine?????

4) How do i get my questions answered quickly
-> try pasting the link in aol chat room linux over and over

5) What is a troll?
-> A troll is an internet attention seeker do not pay attention to them

6) How do i shot web?
-> what 
^^^ 
Hi Sarojin, thanks for being a retard on our forums.

http://sarojin.ath.cx/

http://www.livejournal.com/users/sarojin/18401.html

(i am protected) 
You're Welcome 
^_^ 
idbase, that's quake 
Links 
Could I have some link to Runic and IDBase textures and any other texture please.

My quake directory doesnt seem to be in pak files so WC1.6a doesnt seem to wanna get textures from it. 
Gib 
Thanks 
OMG all seperate and all from fileplanet and all on my 56kb modem erk.

Thanks tho :) 
Gib 
if you wanted, I could just DCC the id+hipnitual textures in 1 wad, plus any others I have lying around... 
Ta 
Thanks but I just download all from that site. (/me throws water on smoking modem). Unless those are different ones in which case I'd love to have them. 
Or... 
download a pak utility, and re-pak your entire id1 dir. 
Which? 
I tried searching in google for a pak utility but couldn't find anything. 
Or... 
get TexMex and rip the textures out of all the id maps, and all the customs that have textures you want.

Give a man a .wad, and he maps for a day. Help him make his own .wads, and he maps for just as long, but with more textures. :D 
Lol 
Right downloading winpak now and already have texmex :) 
One Of The Editors 
i can't remember which, automatically rips all the quake textures for you and makes a wad, maybe quark? 
It's... 
Starbuck... 
Worldcraft does it... the issue was that it wouldn't because his id maps weren't in the .paks anymore.

This post brought to you by the letters R,C, and P.

Read. Comprehend. Post. 
Ohh I See 
yeah then i guess you'd have to do it manually... a bit painful but texmex does a good job 
Starbuck: 
Yea, Quark does all that for you. 
In Case Anyone Didnt Know 
my personal huge stash of idbase textures and variants (need to upload newest version, but still alot in here)

http://www.chesapeake.net/~rjoneill/idbase_mega.zip 
Nice 
downloading now, thanks! 
So About The Topic Of This Thread 
we arrived at a consensus, right?
IDBASE is the best?

I thought so. 
Bah... 
Even with all the idiots voting for Idbase solely to piss Shambler off, you STILL lost miserably. Lame with added lame! 
Shamblers Refer To Themselves In The Third Now? 

The Tally 
Roughly...

idbase \\\\\ \\\\\ \
runic \\\\\ \\\\\ \\\\\ \\\\\

...by my count. Yeah obviously idbase is the best, hm. Or maybe not :-p 
And Since When Was Quake A Democracy? 

Pushplay: 
Ever since Labor took power. 
Hmm 
Labour

There's a fucking 'u' (same goes for colour dammit) 

Iu'm Sourry Misteur Bitiush. 

Sht the fck p, stpid yank cnt 
RUNIC!! 
My vote is for runic,
cause I can write my own name in
ancient Norse Runes
:) 
I Still Say 
idbase 4 lyfe! 
Interesting Resurrect I Totally Forgot This One 
idbase is an original theme for a scifi base, but it's the non-scifi-base themes that make Quake itself unique.
that said, imagine if there was a runic set with the geometric shapes of idbase, or at least more than 90 degree lines and skulls. with crosses, made of 90 degree lines... with skulls. 
Apples And Oranges 
Runic is a very abstract texture set where almost anything goes.
Idbase usually conforms to some kind of pseudo-realistic setting.

The differences really set them apart, with idbase maps you get a sense of place and purpose and this is really fun for the player because it's easy to understand. With runic maps you can let creativity take over completely and make some horrible nightmare that is very unnerving for the player. Both of these are great as gameplay devices but the comparison makes no sense.

A fair comparison would be idbase and wizard/keep as you can imagine both as being real world locations. Or runic/blue because they are very abstract.

I like all types of maps... unless they have tarbabies. 
RE: I Like All Types Of Maps... Unless They Have Tarbabies. 
The problem with Tarbabies aren't what they do but how they do it. Terribly over powered and almost impossible to kill without some serious health\armor and weaponry (along with some serious skills).

In my opinion id screwed up by even putting them in there as they were. Their blast hit is overpowered, their touch hit is overpowered, their movement speed is overpowered and ignores basic physics to the point of unbelievability (even for the Quake universe). Cut any two of those in half and they probably would be used a lot more but as shipped they are useless for anyone wanting to make a level that people will play. 
Tarbabies Quoth 
are nerfed a bit aren't they? They creep and slug around and aren't relentless.

I'd love to see a phalanx tarbaby style boss, I think they had one in the beta but it never made it into the final game. 
Runic 
And tar babies are awesome. 

not in quoth. i nerfed them in ne_ruins (and all future maps i make, if i ever finish them).

the main problem is that the tarbabies jump ceaselessly even when they aren't really in a position where they should be able to.

the easiest nerf to do to them is to put a cooldown on the next jump after it lands. that alone makes them much more manageable.

but yeah... i don't like idbase so much. idbase + ikbase on the other hand is much more fun. idbase has a lot of large textures that make it hard work with at times.
and of course i love idmetal because of how freeform it is. :) 
Dunno 
I made one IDBASE map and one RUNIC 
Negke 8===D ~ ~ ~~ Tarbabies 
idbase is ugly, boring and fucking monotone. tarbabies can be fun when used responsibly. use hitscan weapons. 
Tarbabies 
Really cool enemy. Yes they can be IMBA but it's up to mappers to use them well, and almost all recent usages I can think of are good and and provide fun, challenging gameplay. 

Rottweilers are the best enemy, which is another point in favor of idbase and against runic! 
Rottweilers 
are the best enemy? I know I used them a lot in q-deck but I tried to use them in fun ways. Besides, the model is horrifically broken unless you use capnbubs revamped model.
The best enemy is the Ogre IMO, which capnbubs has neglected to revamp (son' bitch gone AWOL!).

I love the deathknights too. I should go make a medieval/runic map or something. 
Ur An Ogre 

Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.