News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Dark Places Latest Build
It seems that the significance of Lord Havoc's latest build has slipped under the radar screen. It has full support for Q3 maps; he just casually mentions this in his release notes -- except, you have to use Lord Havoc's lighting methods instead of Ydnar's (though it DP accepts Q3map compilations without a problem).

I spent the weekend testing it -- I made unGodly huge levels in the CZG07 style, and the engine handled them better than Q3Arena; I tested 2,000, 5,000, and 10,000 poly models of my custom misc_models and it handled them without choking. I noticed no performance hit in the 2,000 and 5,000 poly models. Also, I experimented with in map curved meshing, and I can report no problems in the engines handling of them.

I'm working on a map custom made for the new DP. It was intended to be a remake of E1M6 just for comparison purposes, but so far it does not look anything like it because the curved meshing of Q3 gives me a level of design freedom I feel compelled to take advantage of it.

BTW, the complaint that Dark Places looks too grainy is true for low detail 16-bit textures but it cleans up significantly for high detail textures like the Episode I retexture project.
Correction 
'(though it DP accepts Q3map compilations without a problem)'

This little bit of illiteracy on my part should read, 'though DP accepts Q3map2 compilations without a problem'

Sorry for any misunderstanding. 
Correction 
'(though it DP accepts Q3map compilations without a problem)'

This little bit of illiteracy on my part should read, 'though DP accepts Q3map2 compilations without a problem'

Sorry for any misunderstanding. 
Darkplaces 
Darkplaces has a channel now to,
#darkplaces on irc.anynet.org 
Headthump: 
New threads are for discussion of ideas and such, not annoucments. The General Abuse thread is where things like this belong.

Oh, and a URL to get Darkplaces would be nice.

(just to point out how things run here, no offence meant) 
Whoops 
Sorry, I actually read the FAQ after I posted and realized, 'uh-oh, wrong place there.' Though I was truly amazed noone else seemed to pick up on this news, even on PlanetQuake, they didn't mention the most significant factor of the new build. I'll end this right here and do as you requested. :) 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.