News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Mapping Help
This is the place to ask about mapping problems, techniques, and bug fixing, and pretty much anything else you want to do in the level editor.

For questions about coding, check out the Coding Help thread: http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=60097
First | Previous | Next | Last
@madfox 
I use GZDoom and F12 is the key to take screenshots, but i don't remember if i had to change it or not... anyway, if you are using GZDoom just go to the "customize controls" menu and you can set any key you want to take screenshots 
Thanks 
I tried printscreen, but it results in a pink-blue gamma error. Then used my old 386 with VGS (dos screencapture) but then Doom shut of because of the Terminate and Stay Resident prog.
Will try it out anyway. 
Sv_startsound: Not Precached 
While I'm modding, I still can't lay my hands on this little error.

I can't help it. Everytime I add a new monster, with its specific alterations, the game stays persistent giving this warning.
Sometimes after a few weeks, or pakking the file to a pak file it disappears.

How does it come? Is it something hard coded or just a flawn in the engine? 

make sure you've called precache_sound() before you call sound() with that name...
some engines allow you to call precache_sound outside of spawn functions while others consider that a fatal error. these permissive engines still expect you to precache, its not fatal to fail to do so but you'll still get warning spam.

secondly, remember that many engines (including quakespasm) are lame and favour files from paks over files outside of them.
(hence why qss and qs display slightly different ordering from the path command).
So yeah, don't put your progs.dat into a pak, at least while still developing your mod. 
Yes 
but I precached new sound in a soldier.qc, made a new sound folder for it, the script runs fine in fteqc and still these warnings apear. The sounds come through well.
Can't think of another place to store them, world.qc?

I run the game in quakespasm_spike_ad. 
WAD For Original Jrbase1.map 
Any idea where can one get the gfx/base.wad file that should have come with the example jrbase1.map in the original source code of QuakeEd? I’m working on a MacOS port of the app and would like to run some tests with it. 
@-Izhido 
I jumped into my archive, installed the original QuakeEd. Read me shows This is qED(tm) Version 2.0.0126 (26 Jan'1998)
I couldn't find the jrbase1.map, probably a later version.
Maybe you could combine it with the original QUAKE101.WAD.

Here is the original sample file that came with Qed2.
Hope it is of any use. 
And 
qedsamp is another one.
This one is slightly larger (2.48Mb).
qedsampq.zip = 1.752Mb 
@-madfox 
Thanks for the help! Alas, the files do not seem to be compatible with what the app needs.
Just to clarify, the app I'm porting is the very, very old QuakeEd written in Objective-C for NeXTstep machines.
Somehow, the app expects a WAD file whose first lump is called precisely PALETTE and contains palette data, followed by many miptextures (and *only* miptextures). I'm not sure that qed, or any of the modern map editors, would have (or generate) files following such a strict sequence and format. 
@-izhido 
I only have the light version of qED as it was a commercial programm, but there´s a work around for it.

With adquedit_v13 you can manage to extract the wadfile into specs for *.lmp and *.mip textures. But there's glitch, it will show the texture files in 16bit only and that's really bad.
Solution is to export your texture files to *.bmp 256bit and export them to *.pcx.

From there you can import them in adquedit again and export them to *.lmp. Then import them back again and export them to *.mip files.
I know, it's a bit complicated, but it works. One good thing is that adquedit has the quakepal.lmp stored.

So let's say you've got your directory with quakepal.lmp first, then you start adding the others to it and when you use quake101.wad you'll be able to import them in Wally and compose your own wad file for research.

I know it is quiet a lot of hussle, but as I suspect you're a tester it shouldn'ty be that much work. 
Monster_damage 
There is a little overvieuw which counts the maximal damage versus ammunition towards monsters.
I'm eagerly searching for it to finish my level.
Does somebody has it close at hand? 

This is probably not what you are looking for but it's helped me in the past.

http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61262&start=26&end=26#26 
Sure 
it's a close goal to reach.
thanks! 
Missing Textures In Darkplaces 
Hi all. About three years ago, I started on my first ever map and got a long way into it before real life got in the way.

I'm coming back to it now and finding that some of the textures seem to be missing in Darkplaces:
https://i.imgur.com/qeL3pUp.jpg
(maps works fine in Quakespasm).

In those three years, I replaced my PC and thought I'd copied the entire Quake directory across so I'm not sure what's gone wrong.

I've tried reinstalling Darkplaces but the textures are still missing.

Any ideas gratefully received. Thanks. 
Re: Missing Textures In Darkplaces 
If only I could delete my previous post.

I found the problem. A .shader file in the ID1/scripts folder. I removed it and bingo! All textures display properly again.

Now to get round to finishing my first ever map ... 
Questions About Csaddon For Quake3 
Questions About Csaddon [EDIT]
Posted by FTE terrain editor, csaddon on 2019/05/15 14:48:19
Hello!
I was making map with landscape for quake3 and when I decided to make landscape with q3 patches I remembered about the csaddon in fte engine. Yesterday I tried it and it works pretty fine but I have some questions about it.

First of all, which type of heightmap is it using? Is it a kind of format which some terrain-editors like worldmachine can use or it is a format which was made only for csaddon editor? And where is it saved? I cant find any heightmap files in maps or in any other folders.

The second question is can I make a lightmap from the sun (q3 shader light) or can I make lightmap for terrain without using any realtime lights? And if I can do that, what exactly should I do?

Thanks, and sorry for my poor English... 

its some private sparse format, split over multiple files (which allows for some massive terrain).
losslessly exporting it to a raw heightmap would take 16gb.
the texture blends (and granularity) is unlikely to be compatible with other programs, and would be about 16 times bigger, and it would still be missing data.

the sections get written into some 'maps/FOO/block_XX_YY.hms' files, which you'll generally find in some annoying homedir location somewhere that everyone forgets about etc.
use the 'path' command at the engine's console and you'll see lots of paths, files usually get written to the first one listed.
or `dir maps/*/*.hms` should include the system path info too (and can list dupes if you have the same file in multiple places - a red colour shows inactive entries). 
Landscape Works With Csaddon In FTE 
Hello, I copy this question from my thread which was deleted for some reason. I have some questions about terrain editor in FTE.

First of all, where are all those terrain files saved? I checked maps and other mod folders, but nothing is there.

The second question is which format is used for terrain in that editor? Is it some kind of format which can be used in other editors like worldmachine, or is it format which was created only for FTE?

I wonder how can I make light for terrain on my map. I am making map in q3 format and I would like to use only lightmaps without any rtl lights. But if there is no other way than use rtl lights is there any possibilitiy to make directional rtl light? I mean not pointlight but something similar to sun light shader in q3.

P.S. Nice editor. It is pretty convinient to use and in my opinion it is the simpliest way to make landscapes in quake forks. Thanks for that. 
Sorry For Coping This Here 
Sorry, I didnt notice, that Shambler already copied my question here 
Lightmaps 
What about adding the lightmap. Is it possible to make lightmap "from the sun" for terrain which was created with csaddon? And if it is possible how can I do that? 
Light Sources 
Quick and stupid question: Is there a limit on the amount of light sources one should use in a map? I've kind of gone overboard in my very first room, which has +1000 light sources by now... 
Arkngt 
Your light compile times should let you decide what's too much for your map. If the compile becomes intolerably time-consuming, then consider ways of simplifying your lighting. 1000 in one room does sound a bit crazy (how big and complex is the room?)

Light times for 1/x and 1/x^2 lights will be massively influenced by how much vis-blocking you are doing. If your map is very open without much vis-blocking, lighting will be exponentially more time-consuming than in a room-corridor-room type dealio.

In desperate times, for 1/x and 1/x^2 lights, the "gate" variable can be played with - this sets a hard cutoff on the area of influence of your light, but the light will just visibly "cut off" if the value is too high, so use this with care. 

Thanks, much appreciated! Yes, I have six walkways in a room and decided to have small lights on the sides of them, which multiplied the light sources ridiculously. I can probably cut it in hald - every single small light texture doesn't need its on light source I guess.

Nice to know the issue will be compiling time rather than some technical limit. 

*half* 

So basically six walkways like this, although they weill extend to different rooms:

https://i.imgur.com/P1r1Obn.jpg

If nothing else, tinkering around with Trenchbroom makes me look at other Quake maps with different eyes, checking for neat ideas. 
@-arkngt 
Did you know about surf_light?
It can be helpful with many lights for the same texture. Add one light with the argument surf_light light1 and all light1 textures receive this light without adding one.
Of course this do count as light and goes on for every light1 texture you use. So carefully before you reach the 625 entity count. 

surf lighting is very coarse (1 light every 128 units) and not terrible controllable (if faces are split, more lights are generated)

I would consider a different design for the platforms that doesn't use tiling light textures with huge extents. maybe just have some light fixtures plonked along the walkways at reasonable intervals?

@madfox - what "625 entity count" ? 

"not terribly controllable" I meant. 
@-Kinn 
I'm still living in the age compilers use this 625 enitty count as limit. That means the total count of entity and lights have this ceiling before the game starts "warning maximum entities reached".
It can be nowadays engines don't have this failure, but I'm like an old dog that can't learn new tricks.
Something like the maximum poly's what is I thought 33768, and then try to build a map with one more to see what happens.

Your declarance though of surf_lights helped me to see why I keep getting those dark spots in my map. 
Dude. 
You do not need anywhere near that amount of overlapping light entities to give a good lit-up effect to that texture. Try 1/4 the amount and play around with the entity values. 

@madfox

..... non-interactive light entities with no associated sprites or models, are removed as the map loads, so they don't contribute to the in-game entity limit (the "edict" limit)

This was always the case even with old unmodified engines.

of the lights that aren't removed, some e.g. torches, are turned into statics (so again, not contributing to the edict limit, only the static ent limit)

the only light "edicts" should be those that need dynamic interaction in game, e.g. switchables. 
Arkngt 
Since those lights in the screenshot above are "light_flouro" they are going to make a sound. Might be a bit loud or cause issues. You may want to use them at certain intervals 512 units or so. 
Woah, 
1000 light fluoros per room HYPE! 
FTE Csaddon Terrain Lighting 
How can I make light “from the sun” for the terrain made with csaddon? Is it possible to make the lightmap (I am working with q3 format)? Or if it is not possible, can I make directional rtl light in fte? 

How can I avoid monsters to start fighting eachother? (like ogres don't). 

Give them all the same classname 
Duh 
(void) monster_anonymous = explode on it selve
return ; 
From A Discussion Thread. 
Lighting For Graveyard And Flat Ambience [EDIT]
Posted by Featheon on 2019/06/01 23:10:21
Thanks for hosting my question. I'm having trouble of solving light sourcing for a graveyard scene featuring tall mausoleum. In your experience, to get an even low ambience, does one use many point entities or one powerful entity and adjust the penumbra? I cannot use worldspawn light more than 20 for this project. Editor is trechbroom, engine is darkplaces.

Thank you.

#1 posted by anonymous user on 2019/06/01 23:30:26 spam
Try these tools if you aren't using them already: https://ericwa.github.io/ericw-tools/

Some options like -bounce may help. You'll need fewer light entities that way.

.mdl Files 
What is the preferred way to create (or modify, if possible at all) Quake .mdl files? Unless I’m severely wrong (or utterly blind) the Quake-Tools repo in github do not mention a way to create them with any existing tools.

I know the progs are there, so you can alter their behavior (possibly), but what about their appearance? 
Izhido 
Here's the best tutorial on the web I've been able to find on the subject. This details every step and has links to tools etc.

http://pnahratow.github.io/creating-models-for-quake-1.html 
@-izhido 
I'm not familiar with phonetics but maybe it are the format options this that you searching? 
@-madfox 
1) Nice way to force lowercase :D
2) Nice specification document! I intended, however, to ask for actual model creation tools, just like dumptruck pointed in the page he posted. 
I'll Stay 
lower case,

but just in case your looking for a way to get your jbase.wad right it would help if you have a compiled jbase.bsp or jbase.map file.
AdQEdit has a tool for remipping wadfiles. 
Oh. That Particular Issue 
Has been already solved. In fact, I already created two command-line tools that generate the .wad files that QuakeEd needs to open maps - one that generates plain textures (fakewad) and another that reads them from a pakfile (leechwad). They are now in the QuakeEd for MacOS package, starting from v. 1.0.2 . 
Tessla 
I'm trying to use the tessla coil I made in 2013.
When I download the map from quaketastic and play it everything goes right, with a bright lightning bold.
When I use the map to recompile it I end up in a dimm room with a shaded bold I can hardly see.

Could it be the new compile tools that cause this?
The map hasn't changed.

classname info_notnull
use CastLightning
enemy 1

Gate Logic Error: Runaway Loop 
Hi.
Got a problem that I don't understand.
I created a three button gate logic in my map months ago and everything worked fine. Now I tested it again and it crashes all the time when pushing a button for the logic.
Has someone an idea whats going wrong or how I can figure this out? 
Condump 
Probably good to see the error. Advice is to get to the spot where this is triggered. Type clear in the console then trigger the event. When it quits to console, type condump which will spit out a log in your id1 or mod directory. Paste that here and it will help. 
@dumptruck_ds 
Thanks!

Hope I can find the mistake before recreating the whole puzzle. 
Quake 2 Maps Won't Compile 
So I was drafting a Quake 2 map, but upon compiling and running the game I get an error:
CMod_LoadbrushMode: mapbase123.bsp has wrong version number (15972 should be 38).
My Quake 1 maps compile with a few errors but run without any issues, but Quake 2 seems to be throwing fits. Any help would be appreciated. 

Are you using Quake 2 compiling tools specifically. I'm not sure of a suite that does both Quake and Quake 2 maps. 

No, I'm using the baseline set that came with ericw's tools. Do I need something specific then? 

I am pretty sure ericw's tools only work with Quake and Hexen2.

Try these out:

https://sites.google.com/view/quake2/tools

or here (scroll down a bit):

http://maps.rcmd.org/tutorials/q2_mapping_today/ 

Kickin, I'll test this out after work and report back any success or failure. Ty man. 
FTE Texture Bug 
Hello, found some bug on md3 models on my q3 map. So I am making map in q3 format and one bug appeared. Look at that:
https://pp.userapi.com/c856036/v856036992/6ca8b/9Q-s-6sd00o.jpg
The part of model is covered with texture and one part is not. It is so weird. The problem is not in model because in darkplaces it works fine. How can I fix that? 
@dumptruck_ds Re: Gate Logic 
So finaly the error report helped nothing.
So I deleted the whole gate logic and rebuild it now.
But now I'm a bit whiser. :)
I think the problem with the infinit loop has something to do with copieng and renaming functions.
It seems, for me, that it's in the program language.
If you copy and rename a bunch of functions it's still a copy of the older one.
So if you trigger the first one the others are also triggerd and this brings the loop.
The only solution for me now is to rename copys one by one to made them separet functions.
It seems that it works now. 
Quake 3 Lightstyle In FTE 
Hello. I am using FTE engine and I have some troubles with lightstyles on my Quake 3 map.

I would like to use some lightstyles on my quake 3 map, so I placed point light with parameter "style 3". After that I compiled the map. Here is the screenshot of light entity settings:
https://pp.userapi.com/c855424/v855424394/7eed6/yMArrcugy8w.jpg

When I launched my map the screen was blinking and the brightness of textures in the room was higher than usual. Check it out:
Here is how the map looks without lightstyles:
https://pp.userapi.com/c849128/v849128517/19e0fa/0_ZQzqu73Sw.jpg
And here is how the map looks with lightstyles (also screen is blinking but you cant see that on screenshot):
https://pp.userapi.com/c855424/v855424476/7f00f/tfH5n_wTbug.jpg

After that I tried to compile this map for qfusion format but no result. May be I have done something wrong. Here is my compiler settings:
https://pp.userapi.com/c855424/v855424394/7eedd/lSHNUFnqW3M.jpg

Does anybody know how to fix it? If this bug can not be solved please tell me. There are already 3 my questions on this forum which were ignored. Thanks. (sorry for my English if I made any mistakes) 
Trouble With Fence Texture 
Hi, I'm trying to make the GoldenEye's Dam, I'm having problems with this fence texture:
https://i.imgur.com/7QerJiv.png
I did exactly what it says here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnSqmHOh3XQ&list=PLgDKRPte5Y0AZ_K_PZbWbgBAEt5xf74aE&index=32
Am I missing some parameters in the compiling tools or something? 
Party Boy 
Is that texture 8bit and inside a wad file or is that an external texture? 
And 
what engine are you using? Not all Quake engines support fence textures...

also the texture name must begin with the { character. 

It has 8 bit per channel

It's inside a .wad, I created it with TexMex 3.4

I tried saving it with Use Full Brites on and off

Quakespasm 0.93.1

Yes, it has a Left Curly Bracket 

I don't know if it's important but the map is not closed yet, it's leaking 
Can You Upload The Image(or Wad)? 
Then we can determine where this is going wrong.

Somehow I suspect the "color", the garish pink, is getting changed om you. 

OK, I fixed, it

I'm working with PS, I was just picking the color from the Quake palette .png from here:

https://quakewiki.org/wiki/Quake_palette

and applying the Paint Bucket over the texture, all of this on RGB Color mode

It didn't work for some reason

I took the texture and on Indexed Color mode, applied the .act palette

Then changed it to RGB Color mode again and exported

It worked

Thanks for the help 

Nice Texture! 
How did you obtain the transparant? 

It's explained here:

https://youtu.be/xnSqmHOh3XQ?t=362

I extracted the texture from the GoldenEye .rom 

With Source, there's a lot of detailed information on in-game units, such as player speed, bounding blocks, etc. Check this page: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Dimensions

Where can I find similar info for Quake 3 and Quake 1? 
Misc_poster 
not sure about Quake 3 but here's some info for Quake 1

http://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=4&start=13030&end=13034 

Is that velocity in units per second? 

Looks like it yeah. 

Hi I am trying to make an elevator in my map... the problem I am having is the elevator is triggered by a button... the only problem is when it gets to the bottom it comes back up... how do I make it stop till triggered again at the bottom of the elevator shaft? thanks.

In "vanilla" Quake once a func_plat is triggered it will lower and wait for the player. Once the player steps into the "trigger volume" of the elevator it will rise up.

If you want a elevator that toggles using a button that use a func_door instead. This is covered in my entity tutorial here: https://youtu.be/TQ8MN8V0JuE?t=233

Watch the whole way through as I show how to toggle a door - which is the method you will use to toggle the elevator. 
Two Questions 
1. Hi I am trying to make an elevator in my map... the problem I am having is the elevator is triggered by a button... the only problem is when it gets to the bottom it comes back up... how do I make it stop till triggered again at the bottom of the elevator shaft? thanks.

2. I am trying to make triggerable enemies but when i set them some where and apply a trigger to a dog for example i pass the trigger point and it still sits in the spot i had put it.... 

1. There should be a flag to set the elevator to just toggleable.

2. Double check targetnames etc. Should just be a matter of trouble shooting. 
Gillandro 
Often the trick to making an elevator that does what you want is to use the func_door class instead, and vary the lip field to get the height you want. In your case you will want to apply the TOGGLE spawnflag to your "door" so that it never moves without being triggered. 
Preach 
thank you for your help... but what is the plat function for? 
Specialised Task 
func_plat is designed to be an self contained platform that doesn't need any other triggers to function. So it automatically rises when the player steps on it, and automatically descends again afterwards. It's not useless, but it can't really be customised if you want it to behave differently. 
Door Issues 
how do you get a door to go up and down instead of side to side? thanks. 
Re: Door Issues 
Set the angle to -1 for up, -2 for down 
Secrets 
Hi all... I was wondering... when I make a secret door to hide maybe an item or something... what do I do to make the game display a "you have discovered a secret"
message? I know I would probably have to trigger it... or is it in the secret door function as an option? thanks. 
Secrets 
Hi all... I was wondering... when I make a secret door to hide maybe an item or something... what do I do to make the game display a "you have discovered a secret"
message? I know I would probably have to trigger it... or is it in the secret door function as an option? thanks. 
Secrets 
never mind...found it just wasn't sure how to delete my previous post about the matter thanks. 
Gillandro 
I think you missed my post above with the YouTube link that explains plats and doors. Here's the link again:

https://youtu.be/TQ8MN8V0JuE?t=233

also here is a long video that explains how secret doors work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw1c7O5WkbI&t=334s 
Where Do Black Ops 3 Mappers Lurk? 
Not really sure if this belongs here or in the General thread.

Since creators of custom maps for Black Ops 3, both multiplayer and zombies mode, do exist, where do these people "hang out"? I went through a few large discords I could find, but they had no mapping/modding channels. Wasn't successful at finding some forum-based community either.

What gives? 
Blops Custom 
3 seconds later and google autocomplete delivers
https://discordapp.com/invite/PncbcvT 
10 posts not shown on this page because they were spam
First | Previous | Next | Last
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2019 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.