News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Quake Anniversary
As many of you no doubt know, Quake almost have 10 years i think is in 22 of July, why dont we all try to make a small polish map to this day and release it, all in same day? theme could be something like...

"ANIVERSARY"

what do u guys think?

ops could be our contribucion to qexpo 2006 aswell

P.S-> sorry shity English please some Admin fix the errors...eheh 
Trinca 
Don't worry... there are some other projects that are still cooking for this special event !

But well, why not ! 

i now but a full pack with a lot of mapper�s will be real cool 
The Polish... 
probably don't know Quake. 

Phait look at #2 p.s.

foda-se caralho!!! 
Phait 
the polish _do_ know quake. They have many good mappers as well as players. Mostly for dm though. 
So 
what would a polish map be like? 

how wel maby not a speedmap and not a too long map something nice that keep us few minuts at computer playing our beloved game!!! 
Ok 
I think it's a good idea, was just kidding for a while. Many people here are already working on something for the time. (distrans & co) 
Bump 
Bump for QExpo 2006
I really hope to see a lot of you mappers turn out for that with some good content, and perhaps some nonmap Quake related items as well. 
QExpo 
is there a proper plan for this yet? Are we having booths and stuff as before. Willthe or
ganiser(s) be trying to get hold of famous Quake mappers/modders from the industry that started in Quake and id employees to give interviews. I think as it's the 10th anniversary it won't be hard getting a few words from them.

Man, we should do so much this time. 

man i�m noob in this part of game... :\ i need help i dont have the connections to start the boat move in the water!!! 
Trinca 
I think the folks over at inside3d and in #quakec are the ones that are organising something, but I haven't seen much news about it lately, and there wasn't a lot going on over at the inside3d forums last time I checked.

I'm still slowly plodding away on stuff for QExpo though, and I reckon a bunch of others are planning to have their maps read by that time.

I am definitely willing to help out, but I don't know how busy with real life stuff around the date of QExpo. I think it should be ok, because our game should be ready fairly soon.

I'm at the very least going to have a booth and some content to release if QExpo is going ahead. 
Bumtsibum 
Famous Quake mappers/modders from the industry that started in Quake and id employees to give interviews

Heh, they just state something like "We feel that Quake 4 is the best Quake game in the series, it really embodies what the spirit of Quake originally was intended" and leave it at that. :C 
Hey Than, 
I found them,

<i/>there wasn't a lot going on over at the inside3d forums last time I checked

The channels they hang out can be found on an page embed linked on the Inside3d fron page. 
Than And QExpo 
QExpo is going ahead, yes it will have booths and such as before, plus more.

id people are being/have been contacted, and I plan on contacting old guys from early in the community as well.

True there is not a lot of news as of late but that is because most of the work taking place currently is technical (aka making the php a lot better for a better booth system and site overall). This is boring info to 99% of the people and so it is not public.

But yes, interviews are planned (one is going to start this week), I would like to do some reviews as well, maybe as a throwback to the Quake Literary Guild do some good fanfic also, and also more Quake comics (I keep prodding Deej to do a few special DJQuakes for QExpo). On top of this Im really hoping we can get more people playing Quake in general during this time, with current mods and maps, stock Quake, oldschool things, and stuff unique to QExpo.

Im hoping to see a stronger turn out from both the mappers and the modders for this one, and Im trying to court the players, QW and NQ, as I have found by and large, they dont know about QExpo... I hop onto a server and mention it, no one has ever heard the term before, which is alarming to me. We have untapped Quake players out there who are without new content. Im hoping this decade celebration of Quake can reunite all of us and get some good frags in while were at it. 
There Will Definately Be 
one or two speedmapping sessions again. i'll be happy to run them - or maybe zwiffle will be back into action then, too... 

omg a speedweek with like 10 maps or more will be real fun!!! 
Scare 
quakeworld.nu and besmellaquake.com are the qw headquarters. 
Bambuz 
Thanks, I know of besmella but I dont know the guys there yet... Need to start hanging around their forums some.

neg!ke - Id love to see more speedmapping sessions, and it would be cool to get a high turnout one come July for Quake's sake. 

i got my own project but a special aniversary map i will for sure!!! i�m just to noob at mapping but i rape here�s ass :\ 
QExpo Date 
QExpo's tentative start date is Monday July 17th. At current planning it will be 10 days long, thus making the 22nd basically the mid point of the week, making it the main event but giving people time afterwards to continue to celebrate via booths and other such things. Keep the festivities going basically. 

i will have a small surprise for this date is all i can say :)

but i wrealy whould like to have a special speedmap event with more then 10 mapper�s

LET�S PRAY!!!

Vondur, Czg, R.P.G, Bal, JPL, e.t.c hope to see also a small contribucion for u guys ;) just a small speedmap ehehe 100 minutes is not much 
Trinca... 
I'm very busy at the moment with Doom3 texture set conversion.... and my participation will depends on 2 things:

1/ When I will finish the Doom3 texture set conversion
2/ The target date for this special speedmap event..

In anyway, I already planned to do something for this event... hoping I will have enough time.. though... 

JPL is just a small speedmap :) ehehe like a aniversary theme... a small map with a cake or somehing like that eheheh 
Trinca 
I was thinking about something... bigger... 

hehe i got my own project... that is already in progress as u now... :)

already got start map finish ;) and first sp1 is going wel...

speedmap is the only stuff we can join a lot of people becouse dont take to much time of our own life!!! 
Trinca 
> that is already in progress as u now

Did you finally waypoint ever single last map ever made ;) 

no but i did waypoints today...eheheh for Drako new map four.bsp 
Speedweek? Hmm 
a turtle episode would be nicer. like everybody makes a small map in a week (following a certain theme) and we put them all in a pak to be played in order. maybe bits of bambuz's idea here, too. 

good idear!!!

start date could be 3 month after the date becouse not all people got enought time for it!!! and time avaible would be nice for some guys! 
Turtle Map 
Perhaps people are given the ability to pick one of the themes of a standard ExMx map, and make a map based on that theme? Then they all get linked together blah blah blah 
Turtlemap: Classics Revisited 
As one of my QExpo projects, I am working on rebuilding DM3 (in a similar was to e1m1rmx, but as more than just a visual makeover, since it has no existing SP gameplay). Perhaps that would also be another idea for turtlemap projects - either rebuild a standard sp map, or take one of the dms and cram an sp experience inside (with new architecture, but a fairly faithful layout, and dm support).

I'm pretty well up for a turtlemap (of any theme) and at least one speedmap session though :)

Maybe there could also be a speedchainmap session if there is anyone with the time to spare to glue that can do it in a week (honestly, it isn't that hard providing the pieces are decent). 
I Think... 
...dm2 (and maybe other Id DM's) got that treatment over at SDA for a speed running comp...err and again by me as part of...oops! 
Ah 
wasn't aware of that.

Still, I'm having fun with it, so I will continue what I am doing with DM3. 
Inertia 
yeah, sounds feasible.
but then a mandatory rule should be to start and end base maps with slipgates and metal/medieval/wizard maps with teleporters or arch gates, so they appear more or less seamless.
i'm not sure about the weapons, though. if everybody built his map like an independent one, the player will probably already get all weapons in the first level. this should be avoided somehow. 
Or Just Toss Some Weapons To The Player At The Start So It's Moot 
Maybe... 
...you could, given a sure number of people participating, give a rule of thumb as to which weapon should be included in said level... Like, running this like a coordinated chainmap, say in advance how many maps and distribute weapons all along the progression...
Just my 2 cents... 
Or... 
You could create slots for each weapon pick-up -- six, I think, if I count using all the fingers on my right hand -- times the number of episodes or styles that you wish to have. Mappers could then sign up for one or more spots, e.g. a Super Shotgun pickup area in Episode 3 style...

You might also want to standardize the transitions from area to area, sort of like OUM did, with prescribed door prefabs built in each style...

or not :) 
Or 
haxor a progs.dat to reset your weapons after every map change.

:P 
Would Love To Contribute 
But my computer isn't even at my apartment yet and I have virtually nothing set up at the moment. :( July 22 is still pretty far away though so who knows by then :) 

i�m making my owns project but i�m prety sure i will have time for one week mapping for this event!!! 
Other Ideas? 
Any non-speedmapping ideas in particular.

Also, if anyone wants to actually write content (articles, interviews, guides, reviews...) for the expo, it would be really appreciated, as it looks like there aren't many people that can help out at the moment.

Personally I am going to release 3 maps (well, 2 SP at least) and have a booth with a mapping guide geared at getting new people interested in mapping for Quake. I will probably have a few other bits and bobs up and will try and participate in the speed/turtle events if I have time.

There are some interviews planned, but I don't have a list of confirmed people. Scarecrow has confirmed at least one Quake developer, but we don't have enough questions as far as I am aware, so perhaps you guys could think up questions you'd like to ask id developers or well known modders, mappers etc. If you want to know specifics, scar3crow is the man to talk to, as I am not that involved in the organisation at the moment. 

but we don't have enough questions as far as I am aware, so perhaps you guys could think up questions you'd like to ask id developers

Q no. 1 - "do fiends have eyes?" 
Kell... 
... please... don't be so stupid... ;P 
Seriously... 
The whole monster eyes or no eyes question should definatly be asked. =)
I'm hoping I'll find time to do something (I have a q1sp project in the works), but it all depends on how overloaded with school work I am... =( 
Bal 
The whole monster eyes or no eyes question should definatly be asked

I guess you meant either answered, or closed;P

This is definitively NOT an issue IMHO.... though... o_O 
Questions For ID Folk Interview Thingy: 
1) Will the SinglePlayer Quake series ever revisit its Lovecraftian beginings?

2) Are Shamblers hairy or leathery?

3) Quake 1 has been kept alive by its faithful modding community, but John Romero has suggested that in an increasingly controversial and money-concious industry some modders may have a detrimental effect on the sales of modern games. Do you agree? Do you think it matters?

4) Do you think it's possible to recreate the essence and ambiance of Quake 1 in a modern engine?

5) Why doesn't Carmack just rocketjump into space? 

Quake 1 was probably a freak accident and will never be consciously recreated I guess.

Romero also posted a followup to the piece he wrote about modding: http://rome.ro/2006/05/whose-side-am-i-on-anyway.html
He uses the word superdumb, which I find incredibly cute. 
Than 
Were you planning to just throw up a bunch of handy tutorials? If that's the case, you might considering stealing czg's curve tutorial. I might could toss up something too if I could think of a worthy topic. 
Stuff From An Email I Sent To Scar3crow 
It seems that there are at least 4 or 5 factions of the quake community out there; the modders/coders, the mappers, the QW players, the speedrunners, and maybe the NQ players. QExpo is traditionally run by the modders/coders, with heavy mapper involvement, and no involvement by the other groups.

One suggestion on how to bring in the other groups is to figure out how they can contribute something visible to others without asking them to make a mod, map, or other game content (which they don't do as players.) Demos are an obvious choice, and maybe even just having a QExpo forum would help, since the simplest way to participate online is to talk to people. The question of the forum is interesting; would it create more splintering to add yet another forum, or would it help bring people together to have a forum that isn't "home" to any of the different factions? What seems to happen currently is that people visit the QExpo site, and then retreat back to their own messageboards to talk about it.

Another aspect of this QExpo that I would like to see is a focus on the past -- most QExpos are all about the present; new content, the latest engines, projects in the works. It would be nice to also look back at the best user-made content, greatest matches of QW, most interesting engine mods, etc. There seem to be more newbies in the quake scene than one would expect, who never actually played or saw a lot of the older stuff. 
Metlslime 
Very good! 
Metlslime 
I agree: it would be a kind of 10 years of tribute to Quake topics... Nice idea ! 

Sassa a good qw player have a project for qexpo... and last year was also a qw movie... this year will be more for sure :) 
Cheers! 
Groups: don't forget about the SP players. I'm sure there are many people who only play offline. I was one of them for some time and no one knew me although I "knew" a lot of people here and there. Also there are quite a few people registered at Quaddicted who never posted anything and who I never saw anywhere else. I am just brainstorming how these people could contribute? Reviews? Feedback?

QExpo forum: agreed!
Focus on the past: agreed!

My goal for QExpo will be to finish the reviews for all the Singleplayer maps at Quaddicted. Complete with links to other reviews and corrected filedates.

And I want a Quake1 only QExpo. Really. 
Good Idea 
And for those who miss old Q1 sites that have disappeared, try visiting the Internet Archive: http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

I've just tried it and there's a lot of material if you just know the old URL. I even managed to squeeze out some more old QMap threads with a little work.

A nice blast from the past ... :) 
Well... 
...wouldn't the most obvious way to get the players involved be some sort of tournament? :s 
RPG 
I was planning on doing a getting started (with Worldcraft and Radiant) guide, plus a guide where I do an quick sp remake of DM1. I was also planning on linking all the most useful tutorials, so that would include the hipnotic and curve tuts by czg.

We really need to come together and do all we can to make this the best QExpo ever. We could start by posting links to useful Quake resources, mirrors of stuff that has vanished from the net, classic mod and map review and feature ideas and anything else you can come up with.

I will try and get some stuff together during my lunch break whilst I go through all the new e3 video releases :) 
Than... 
With regards to CZG's curve tutorial...
It's much loved, but one thing I always craved for was a technique for making more complex curves, or some kind of easy to follow formula.
And for starting mappers, I think compiling might be important enough to warrant its own mini-tutorial.
It seems like you guys are all really putting alot of thought and love (and work)into this, and I really think it will be a fitting celebration of Quake.

PS - Neg!ke - would you be doing some SMs? 
Drew 
What sort of tutorial does you need? I'm sure czg says how to make curved pipes in the tutorial, and there isn't much more complex than that, unless you want curved intersecting pipes at odd angles as seen in spog's spogsp1 for Quake 2.

I can cover the basic ratios for having stuff rotated 45 degress and aligned to the grid, common texture scales and rotations, but I don't know what else people want. Also, I think that there are people more qualified than I on these things that could probably shed more light.

We need a qc hack tutorial! Who wants to write that? There is tons of info in the qc hack thread, but it's scattered over so many posts it might be quite a job to get it all together.

Uhm, quick summary:
*Introduction. Why Quake is still worth mapping for (this has been covered several times in the past, noteably by Shambler) and how easy it is to move from Quake level design to Doom 3 or Half-Life.
*Shambler's single player theory guides
*DM theory guide (there must be some existing guides somewhere).
*Getting started guides for WC and Radiant. Maybe one for Quark if someone can be arsed.
*General mapping techniques and a basic DM or SP level mapping tutorial and explanation (I will probably do this if I have time).
*Updated curve tutorial
*CZGs hipnotic tutorial
*no progs hacking guide.
*Texture creation guide? Maybe just a quick texture modification or merging guide using texmex.
*Mapping for popular mods (basic guide) 
Drew 
read my posts above.
on second thought, though, i think i'll solely base my participation on the condition of your and shambler's return! 
Than... 
don't forget to ask RPG and Speedy for their dome examples (they use different methodologies, ratios etc.). An RPG dome features prominently in travail e2m2. Maybe you could get them to write a small .txt to accompany the example. 
Oooh. I'd Love To See The Texture Tutorial. 
I'm fine with creating textures, but a decent optimisation tut [ideally covering several graphics utilities] would be useful because that's always given me problems. 
Than 
See distrans's post. Speedy and I got into a fight about how to make domes and curves, so I created a 12-sided dome using the principles of czg's tutorial. (Speedy insisted on just copying and moving vertices randomly until it looked like a 2nd century architectural experiment.) The advantage of the principles of czg's tutorial is that you can actually make that dome, but with Speedy's method, it's time consuming, nearly impossible, and the results are extremely uneven.

That may be the more complex technique that Drew was talking about. Anyway, theoretically I could do up a tutorial on how to make that. 

The 'do Fiends have eyes' thing is just the sort of questions we're asking. Some long standing questions, like that and the Shambler's hide question. Although in my opinion I'd rather know if Shamblers have eyes (I hope not). I was rather distressed when I found that the Fiend did appeared to have eyes when I looked at him closely in the model editor. Eyes or maybe weird golden scab things.

Of course, we are also asking the perhaps more meaningful questions. The bottom line is no asking Carmack about his aerospace stuff, no asking Romero about Daikatana or monkey stone, no asking Peterson about what he has in his pockets, no asking about what id is working on now, it's all only Q1 stuff. 

hello page 2 
:) 
we should ask quake developers if they visit func_msgboard daily?

btw I plan to release something for 10 years date 
Woot - 10 Years Of The Best Video/computer Game Ever... 
im late to the party, ive been busy as usual.

i might write an overview of the development of quake 1 SP maps over the 10 year period, noting the highlights, themes, types and authors and so forth. for the expo. 
Another Question 
kind of an addition to PuLSaR's:
Do they follow the Quake modding (as mod/map/engine/whatever) scene?

And since John Romero and American McGee created lots of the sounds: Would these two make new sounds for us (in decent quality)? Even if it were just a joke :D 
Damn People, You Can't Ask Shit Like That 
What on earth makes you think anyone gives a fuck about our shitty little 'community'?

Make new sounds? What the HELL people? 

is sad but czg is true :\ let just keep our litle project to our selves :) is also great fun ;) 
Q To Whichever Developer: 
What happened to the episodic approach to games where you could just pick an episode and play it instead of playing linearly from the beginning to the end? 
RPG 
Storyline happened. 
You Could Always Have 
a squad of four different playable characters, each of which has to complete a different part of the same overall mission. I do miss being able to choose between episodes. 
RPG 
yes i think Zwiffles response is basically the correct one.

the desire/need/blind acceptance to follow a linear "story" has severely reduced the players freedom to choose how they want to play the game in many recent titles. 
But 
Even in Doom 3 for example there are still several distinct and unique areas: Alpha Labs, Delta Labs, Hell/temple. Surely three episodes are appropriate for that, each one getting unlocked as you reach it? Even HL1 could have conveniently been broken into 2 episodes: before you get knocked unconcious, and after you get knocked unconcious (since you lose all your weapons anyway). 
But 
you still wouldn't have a choice of episodes at the start of the game. :\ So what would be the point? 
HL2 
has like 12 episodes that get unlocked as you reach them. What's wrong with that? 
Than Y Text_Fish 
than: I dunno; I haven't played it.

Text_Fish: The point is that then if I only want to play the second half of HL after I've beaten it, I can. Otherwise I just have to rely on old save games or cheat my way through or just give up and uninstall the game while reminiscing about the old days when games were episodic and I didn't have that problem. 

...not that the choice between four episodes really gives the player much freedom.
so a better question would be why recent games are so extremely linear in themselves - the levels (no choice of routes, approaches, etc.). in the end, we could answer this question ourselves, but maybe it can trigger something in the 'officials' if the interviewer adds some aggressive "huh?" after each one, or something like that.. ;)

as for the participation/forum thing metl introduced (also in relation to something i read at i3d): having a simple, registration-free forum integrated into the qexpo site would be a very good way of bringing everybody together. maybe one general forum and seperate ones (or at least a thread) for each booth. dunno how feasible this is, but i don't think it poses too much of a problem. 
oh, i forgot:
i also vote for quake1 only.
since it's an unscheduled event - quake's 10th birthday - it should only focus on that very game.
regular, bi-annual qexpos, like the next one (if there will be another one at all) can include all three games again.
although, one could argue that, since quake1 is the father of all following games, the other quakes should have a chance to 'congratulate' it, as well. but i don't. :) 
I Agree 
that the onus should be on Quake 1, but why shut out the fans of later Quakes completely?

RPG, I think you can go back and select certain chapters of HL2 to replay. I don't really rate the game that highly myself though, so I might just be talking complete arse here. 
Well 
They could try to experiment with the episode format in a different way. For example, what if the story wasn't so linear, but kind of open ended? What if the structure of each episode depended on what had happened in the universe already?

Say that there's 2 episodes in this game; The first has you defending Earth from an alien invasion, the second has you fighting on the alien mothership in a counter attack.

Now, say you play the first episode first. You're actually playing the levels as alien pods scream down from the atmosphere and crash through buildings into pavement, etc etc. At the end, you defeat the ground General guy, and prepare for the counter attack in episode 2. Along with way, you helped several resistance groups, story, blah.

So you get to episode 2, and they're aware you were coming since their ground force was defeated. They've prepared a massive defense on their mothership; not only do you have to get to the center of the ship to destroy the Mother Mind, but you have jump from Alien Cruiser to Alien Cruiser on your way their.

No, say you reversed the episodes, and played episode 2 first and episode 1 second. All of a sudden, attacking the mother ship is like a sneak attack; You're in space in your attack pod on your way to kill the Mother Mind at the same time all those other attack pods scream towards Earth. All those cruisers never knew you were coming.

So you kill whatever, and return to Earth, only to find out that Earth couldn't defend shit without you. Now all of Earth is a cliche apocaplyptic world, humans have been enslaved and they've ALREADY started setting up alien mines, factories, and human cubing plants. Suddenly saving Earth is looking a lot more grim.

Well anyway, I think shows that the episode format could possibly be better than a linear game. Feasible for development houses to put in the extra time? Well, it does kind of double the gameplay, while using some levels twice and others only once, you can make a totally unique experience with (only some minimal ?) extra effort. Just an example though.

Now what does this have to do with Quake 10? Not a damn thing, other than it's too old for me to molest anymore. 
On Your Way Their? 
RPG should shank me. 
Wot 
why shut out the fans of later Quakes completely?

Because they do not bow before my mighty fist of vengeance and retribution. Also, it isn't the birthday of the other games. At a birthday party, you're celebrating that one's birthday, and not the birthdays of other people who aren't actually having a birthday that day. 
What If 
the Q2 and Q3 Arena fetishist are doing remakes of Quake for those engines should their projects be included?

Of course, this is an academic excercise as the arrangements for this event are not in our lowly mapperite hands. 
Hey 
it would be cool to have a section on the QExpo site showcasing Quake remakes and content in other games actually. Maybe just an article or a sidebar or something, but it'd be an interesting read. 
I Am Afraid 
The people from ID Software will reply complete and utter crap like "Quake 3 has the best multiplayer we've ever made" and "Quake 4 is Quake singleplayer at it's finest". They have been known to spit out comments like that in the past.

Have you guys noticed how Quake is now supposedly a sidestory to Quake 2? If you read up on ET: Quake Wars (Quake 2 universe), its mentioned that some missions involve humans trying to steal "slipgate technology" that would be later used in other Quake games story-wise. Makes me sad. 
Bar Some Accident Involving Combusting Gophers... 
...QExpo will be hosted once again at Quakedev.com which is notably an engine site, and is ran by Echon who is primarily from what I gather a Q2 guy. It already has a QExpo forum there, however I do not know if we can setup a QExpo 06 specific section, and if we can enable unregistered posting... I'll ask Echon about that by the end of the weekend (Im moving and heading out of town for a day this weekend on family matters).

I do prefer that it be Q1 only, however, I dont outright object to the others... but if they are involved it will be made well known that this exposition is focusing on the first Quake, as it is centered, literally, around its registered release date.

Thank you for all of the question suggestions, I had been remarkably low in question ideas from others, and these should help move things along. The subject who has agreed to be interviewed prefers a conversational method, so it will most likely not be a linear question-answer format.

I had toyed with, and love, the idea of recognizing wonderous greats of Quake's past. However I would think myself (all the more) arrogant if I dared to attempt to assemble such a list of things in Quake... and would love to see suggested lists from members of the community, which would basically create a simple consensus on the greats in Quake (for me I immediately think of Zerstorer, Beyond Belief, TeamFortress, Blahbalicious, Ranger Gone Bad 2, Dank and Scud... these are things that created unique memories for me). So please, scavenge the fields of your nostalgic moods and either email me (my nick at yahoo) with QExpo in the subject line or post them in this thread.

A tournament would be a nice way to get people involved, though it still has a bit of the divisive aspect of "NQ or QW?" (to which I say, DP cause it connects to both, but I know there is most definitely not a consensus on engines). Another thing is the celebration of Quake clans, past, present... and we could even have temporary ones for good fun wars (casual matches between temporary clans). I think the Inside3d/qc crew would most likely get raped by the other groups, but I think it would be fun, and it would bring about an important aspect to the event, at least for me: People playing Quake together like they used to.

I would LOVE to bump into someone I know from func or i3d on a server... But the only people I ever see on servers are the quakeone.com crew. Speaking of the playing community, Sassa and Baker have been enthusiastic about QExpo and promised to have quakeworld.nu and quakeone.com help rally support and interest, which is important as I have disappointingly found that if I mention QExpo on a random server... ...no one has heard of it. And rarely have they heard of i3d or func.

Im sure I have plenty more to say, but I just noticed this thread had exploded just today, and so I tried to catch up with it all at once.

One last note: if you feel that you wont have content ready for QExpo, but do have something to show, when the time comes, please do still sign up for a booth. It can be used to generate interest in what youre working on with a short summary and teaser shots. And in fact... if you have more than 2 things, I would suggest considering releasing one of them after QExpo. I dont want people to blow their load on one day or over 11 days. I want to use this as a point to broaden awareness of the various scenes within Quake, and what we are all doing and what we have in common. More importantly I would like to see this generate a stronger interest in creating content for Quake - and trying it out. I would love to see the players dropping by here and i3d for new maps and mods - I would love to see them ask questions about how one works WC/Radiant, or how to compile a mod... QExpo to me is much more than a birthday bash, it is more like a baby shower - a celebration of what is to come, and thus it can also be used as the conception, illustrate the fertile ground still available to work with.

I am looking forward to everything that is to come, during QExpo, and afterwards. Especially content like than's tutorials. Also... this is Quake as a whole, if you have anything related, such as humorous or cool Quake art, be sure to submit it. I miss Dank and Scud. 
Yay For Qexpo 
About tournament: FTEQW can serve both QW and NQ clients, so this should be a good choice for providing a server.

I am very enthusiastic too and I will do my best to advertise QExpo at Quaddicted, but since I haven't got a real community there (at least I don't really know who comes and goes) it is a bit harder. 
If There's A Qw Tournament 
Use qw. That is, mvdsv server and ktpro mod. Fuh and ezquake clients.
Nobody from the qw community plays with anything else, this has been the standard for over 3 years.
It's a very high-skilled and pretty friendly community, they do really awesome stuff, there are a hundred spectators in big games etc. (No money involved!) Some of the players have played other games, but they have come back to qw because it is the pinnacle of fps:es. And 4on4 is the peak of qw.

I know some of you are allergic to this talk, but with years-trained high skills and enthusiasm, you want an even playing field that everyone knows and can agree on. An agreed way to settle who's best. It's stabilized, and it's hard to change it, and it also works pretty well. New maps would be good, but new clients / servers with different feel and physics, please no.

This is a bad analogy, but it's like if they wanted to have the football world cup in greenland and thought "hey, let's play with an ice cube". Most normal football players would be disgusted, and one can understand why. Of course the icecube players would love it, but the tournament wasn't supposed to be for just them. They could have two separate tournaments though and even cross-participate, and that could be cool. 
Qw 
4on4 is the peak of qw.

Bambuz is not an authority :D

1on1, 2on2, 4on4 -- they all have a dedicated player base and �ber fans!

Also, don't expect all qw players to be open to playing custom content... their goal is competition and honing of skills; in the NQ-DM/SP community the focus seems to be geared more towards creation of content, for sharing and enjoyment.

So, everyone, be open minded! Et cetera (hard 'c'). 
I Think The Word Tournament 
is being carried with more weight to some.

I speak of such for QExpo specifically only for the dimension of getting more people to play Quake. Not to show whos the best bunnyhopper (I dont do it) and can time the quad the most accurately (once again, I dont even try), but to play Quake amongst the community as a whole. The way games seem to be currently played... Im never going to run into intertia, bambuz, FrikaC, LordHavoc, Sassa, and Baker on the same server, even if they all liked straight dm or such... yet its still Quake. I can see having standards (even if one could argue theyre flawed drastically) for a tournament that is based around showing your abilities and striving to win... But in this case... it is only for the organization of the tournament, at least to me. To catalyze people through that structure into hopping into a different server and simply playing.

4on4 sounds good, 1on1 sounds good, 2on2 sounds good... How about 16on16 ? Or 8on8? Or just have a large ffa dm for the fun of it. Im not interested in someone winning a grand prize (btw, there isnt one) at QExpo for playing Quake, and Id hope thats not why they would be interested in it either. Play Quake because it is fun, and during QExpo, a community event... loosen up some, and play with other people. I personally choose DarkPlaces because its not finicky about alt-tabbing which is handy for me, and it sees no difference as far as Im concerned between QW or NQ... I simply play Quake for the fun of it, and it is fun. Use whatever engine you so desire, but this is not some serious tournament. Just play Quake. 
Yeah Well 
I just try to say that I find the real spiritual multiplayer quake deathmatch to be qw. It's the way it was meant to be. ;)

I mean, it's not some few guys playing in a basement, (which can be fun too), or mappers trying out their maps, but something that's played worldwide and it's often organized and all, it has been played since 1998 or so. And no game since has reproduced it's qualities. And it's fun, when a game is good.

It's like football, it's got an established position and rules and traditions, and it's not just the same if you play with some "weird" rules like 30 players or baskets instead of goals. But I understand, maybe the point of view is narrow and what I'm talking about should really be fit for the QW anniversary, which is later, if ever noticed that much, it kinda crept in with unplayable first versions.

So a "all of quake" anniversary could have some show stuff and some different games, that's fine. Just that the QW community is quite big and it might be cool if there was something for them in their own field, if they would be interested. Like the football 300 year anniversary could have show matches that are played by 4 players in a cage with a small ball. ;) 
Metaphor 
no more elimination brackets -- creation brackets! 
Regarding Tournaments... 
Just have a QW server one day and a NQ server a different day. People can play either or both, and they can use the QW-compatible engine of their choice one day, and the NQ-compatible engine of their choice the other day. 

i use a lot of clients depend what i�m going to do ;) 
New Dm Map Server 
or just custom dm map/mod server? Is that likely to happen? How many servers do you reckon will be devoted to QExpo?

In addition to my main map project, I have been working on a dm3 sp remake recently, and I am nearly done with it. I plan to release two versions - one with standard progs SP and classic multiplayer (with all new areas blocked off) and one which requires the Quoth progs and features Quoth base enemies and an unrestricted layout, more suitable for FFA than the original map. I would really like to try it out if there are plans to run a server in FFA mode. I'm sure any speed dm mapping event that might occur will want to be run with the intention that the maps will be tested afterwards.

A coop server which runs Quoth would also be nice ;)... or is that impossible without using NQ?

Anyway, for DM, I definitely think you should use QW, since that's what everyone is used to using. 
Custom Dm Maps 
I can ask some of the server runners at quakeone.com to host some custom maps for QExpo, and see if I can get sassa to do the same with QW servers. It would be nice to see people playing something that isnt dm3/6 on ocassion.

Speed maps should definitely be played (in the case of sp, perhaps Spirit or underworldfan would be willing to do minireviews during the Expo? and for dm, just enter them into rotation on a server or three for a few days). 
Quake Mdl Modelling Tutorial... 
Does anyone have time to make a Quake monster creation guide by QExpo? Even if it were late an arrived after QExpo it would be much appreciated. I would love to see a step by step guide for creating a Quake monster from scratch.

Kell? ;) 
There Use To Be 
a very thorough tutorial in five parts on a site called QuakeC Extreme (or Xtreme) on getting an original model in Quake, but that site is no longer up and running. It may be worth it to check through the archive site AquiRe has listed in a post a few days ago.

As for modeling, the Wings3d reference manual (not nearly as dry as it sounds) has excellent explanations for the theory and practice of subdivisional modeling. 
Mild QExpo News 
Just a small bump to inform that the PHP for QExpo06 has passed the 90% mark in completion, and the website is being worked on. Also the space for QExpo on the domain has been improved, and quakeexpo.com has been registered by Echon. It currently points to the 2005 expo.

The other day than poked me online asking about the filr submission method, after conferring with SantaClaws, who is in charge of the PHP, it will be form based, not ftp. 
Good To Hear Some QExpo News! 
It seemed a bit quiet lately, so that's why I was asking you about it.

Anyway, have any events been decided yet? What are the likely speed- events?

Mappingwise, I fancy a turtlemap, 2xspeedmap sessions (1dm, 1sp?) and a final speedchainmap session, so there is something to look forward to after QExpo (well, there should be anyway, but something definite I mean ;)

Any news on servers for playing mods and maps etc? 
Title! 
Whenever you have any questions or suggestions than, feel free to drop me a line via chat or an email, I check both consistently.

Its been a bit quiet mostly cause my life has been busy as hell (thankfully classes end a little over a week before QExpo).

Events are up in the air, simply because I feel that is more of a community decision, not as in Ask Everyone, but I would like to have input from you and a few other mappers, as well as a few coders, and see what the general players want also. However despite the multiple invites for suggestions, I feel that I may just have to impose my own ideas for events upon QExpo with some moderation by those who wish to contribute (meaning at this rate things will get ran by Sajt, LordHavoc, FrikaC, SantaClaws and than depending on who I encounter online).

I do definitely want to see speedmapping and speedmodding (it would be interesting to see combinations of this... speedmodding mapper ents to be used in a speedmapping event, or speedmapping levels that modders have to code something around), and I will attempt to get in contact with some QW and NQ server admins regarding running QExpo mods and maps of some sort. However, I have an essay, 2 exams, and an experiment proposal due in the next 40 hours. 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.