Prodeus Broke $100K
...would be cool as a rhythm shooter. As it is now - would get repetitious pretty quickly.
Ludum Dare games are meant to be boring anyway. It's nearly impossible to make a non-repetitive game in 2 days.
makes sense - I forgot it was for a jam
Ooh, the inventory is a pie menu, sweet! Need. Wrath. Now.
Even Skipping Through That Video....
....is the worst thing to happen to my eyes for several days.
I Said "Fun", Not Pretty.
The Latest Shit On A Fucking Stick.
For Fuck's Sake!
That's gotta be the ugliest-looking piece of shit yet, surely?
Not even gonna use the Daikatana smiley, that would be an insult to Daikatana.
How is it possible to make such an aesthetically bankrupt game?
Maybe if you have autism, and your autism also has autism.
Not My Thing
...but there has to be something that justifies the garish colors. Like you are sucked into a GameBoy game or more likely the protagonist is hallucinating the game world.
There's making a game look retro and then there's not even fucking trying, abysmal. Say what you will about Memoirs but at least it executes a style.
Viscerafest is how to do this Doom-esque 3D game style right imo, crazy as fuck FOV, smooth and easy to understand sprites and effects that don't cover the entire screen ala that eyesore brutal doom.
at least the looks are consistent, and it seems that they are giving an Alice´s like explanation for them.
Leaving aside that, there is some things that does better than some others that were posted here.
Maybe Dusk or Project Warlock fans will like it.
It's one of the few games I've preordered/kickstarted so I'm excited for it. I loved the name Ion Maiden. Hopefully the Spanish Inquisition will sue the thrash metal band for stealing the name of their torture device....
... the comfy ion fury chair?
Yeah, too bad the name was changed. :/ I might be buying the game for myself. Gotta increase the length of my game backlog, you know.
Ion Fury is really good. It managed to keep me interested in finding secrets and small details in level design, something that modern games fail to do, even Doom 2016. Definitely worth your money.
So This Weekend Is Retro Test Weekend!!!
We've got Warth Anus Of Ruin Early Access:
Which as well as looking like one THE most "true to retro spirit" FPSes, also features the work of some func_ / #terrafusion regulars. Early reports are that it is pretty cool. Don't forget as well as giving report and feedback here, we've got a Wrath section on discord https://discord.gg/d5mytUj
- if of course you don't feel like joining 3DRs own discord too.
And there's Hellbound:
Which has a free demo today! I tried this when it was a one level arena survival mode and that told me fuck all as obviously level design is crucial for any game, but this hopefully should be a proper demo test. I'll check it out in a bit and stream it too :)
Hellbound Demo Stream In 5 Mins Aka 16:15 GMT
Okay So Hellbound Demo.
Sorry stream didn't happen, game refused to broadcast.
So far, it is very much the Quake 3 Arena of Modern Retro Shooters. Well, maybe not quite that bad. But it's got that sort of feel to the design.
On the plus side:
+ Combat is pretty meaty and weapons are effective.
+ Default speed is good and there's no headbob thank fuck.
+ Decent starting level with a decent layout and promising style.
On the minus side:
- Movement is weird as there's no movement acceleration/deceleration, movement starts/stops with neck-snapping abruptness.
- Always run is pretty jarring due to the above.
- Jumping is a bit short and hoppy on walking speed.
- Enemy tend to blend into the background due to their size and similar colours (ramping crosshair size/opacity up is essential).
- Weapon flash and massive blood explosions get in the way of aiming or seeing the gameplay.
- Use key seems a quite unnecessary.
- The level is very large scaled and open, making it a bit bland in places and having surprisingly snipey gameplay.
- No saving / skill settings implemented yet (the latter would surely be very easy even for a demo).
- Bestiary doesn't have a real theme.
- Lighting is constantly oversaturated with too many different colours.
- Protagonist sounds are a bit annoying.
It has some promise and actually shows an actual game, with indeed a blend of semi-modern gfx and old style gameplay. But doesn't hit the mark yet - the devil is in the details...