News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Screenshots & Betas
This is the place to post screenshots of your upcoming masterpiece and get criticism, or just have people implore you to finish it. You should also use this thread to post beta versions of your maps.

Need a place to host your screenshots? Upload them here:
http://www.quaketastic.com/
Username: quaketastic
Password: ZigguratVertigoBlewTronynsSocksOff

[[[CAN WE PLEASE HAVE A NEW PASSWORD FOR THIS AS THIS ONE IS UTTERLY FUCKING ANNOYING]]]

File size limit is 128MB.
First | Previous | Next | Last

Been putting lots of time into the side scroller. Heres some new tiles.

https://twitter.com/muk0r/status/1212905762038657024 
Wrong Topic. 

Screens Of My Vanilla Doom 2 Map. 
Using those sweet, sweet Knave textures.

Thank you Dr Lovekok. 
Looks Good 
it has a strong Hexen vibe.

And thanks for not using Imgur for the screenshots. 
Meathole 
Kinda Cool. 
I like the weird lack of head. Claws could look a bit more inhuman. Deffo could work well in Quake. 
Boss2 
Isn't that not Ijed's model? 
It Is. 
But I'll be using it. 

http://shoresofnis.com/temp/Screenshot_Doom_20200113_195048.png

not sure if this would have been easier or harder in quake.

i will say the doom engine handles off-axis stuff nearly perfectly.
did Q1 compilers ever get around the limited number of planes? 
Adoria, Final Section And Progress 
After one year I think this work is going in its final lap.
My idea of creating a simple lighting mechanic test for my self turned into a storybased reference to games, films and music when I played Quake the first time.
There's still some work for me to do, especially because of the story (there will be a connection between the stories of quake and doom).
There are new features, known from modern games ,like voice guided sequences and changing music.
At the moment I'm working on the last section "the white room" wich should become a fresh change in the gamplay with some puzzles.

Screenshots:

comcenter:
http://www.quaketastic.com/files/screen_shots/gshw_atta/2/ua2.jpg

Prison overview:
http://www.quaketastic.com/files/screen_shots/gshw_atta/2/ua3.jpg

UAC-lunch room:
http://www.quaketastic.com/files/screen_shots/gshw_atta/2/ua4.jpg
UAC-quaters:
http://www.quaketastic.com/files/screen_shots/gshw_atta/2/ua5.jpg

Hopefully looking forward.

best wishes 
Ummm Wow 
This looks pretty epic. 
Bal Posted This On Twitter 
Looks Interesting 
I am eager to see what the storyboard is about and how it will be done. 

Yeah... sounds like it's part of a big AD update that sock and gang are preparing. 

also those conveyor belts .... maybe it's time to add either smooth scrolling textures, or high-framerate animated textures, to quakespasm/etc. 
An AD Update? 
I thought sock had written that AD was now a "complete project". I sure hope I got this wrong --- and if there's an update in the works, that it'll not feature only base maps. I can't wait to see another work in the vein of Foggy Bogbottom, Firetop Mountain, Leptis Magna or The Forgotten Sepulcher. 
AD 1.8 Is In The Works 
Lots of bug fixes and some new features (and monsters?) coming. But that's all I know second hand. 

i think they are adding Floyds 
"i Think They Are Adding Floyds" 
Finally, Quake is complete and life is perfect. 

Oh my. 2020 is going to be a wonderful year. 
Have I Ever Told You... 
New Deathmatch Map With Bot Support 
Hi, in case anyone's interested, I finished a large Q1 map with a slightly different flavor. It's deathmatch, but it's also designed so the Omicron bots can use it. So for those who want single player against bots, or playing against humans, or both bots and humans together, it's great. There was a time when just a few friends could have a closed multiplayer game, without somebody like Thresh showing up. Using this map, with DirectQ as the server, a small group can have a great time. To fill in the 16 person quota, you just add the correct number of bots. Some may remember the Omicron bot problems with original Q1 maps. I also had a few, and spent a lot of time ironing out the bugs, and getting a very enjoyable bot experience, for those who want this. I also didn't want anyone to be in the dark, as far as how the map works. It's very complex, so I am preparing a youtube instructional video.
Here's the video intro I intend to use at this point. I may change the music. Go to the following link:

http://www.quaketastic.com/index.php

Find the file "Intro.mp4" Turn up the volume and double left click the file. :) 
Well. 
I need a 2 minute intro video with lift muzak for a 1996 quality DM map like I need my arse being filled with molten iron and then a magnet attached to the bottom of the ocean. Perhaps the time spent on the video and music and somehow not even posting a direct link, would have been better spent polishing and refining the map??

Still if you want more feedback and beta-testing feel free to post it on here too when it's ready: https://discord.gg/d5mytUj 
Testing 
That's the beauty of opinions. Everyone has one. The map has already been thoroughly beta and bot tested. Quakespasm, which supports the Omicrons and large maps, seems to be stable across all Windows platforms. About the only thing Quakespasm isn't good at is packet handling. This makes bad as a server, but okay when connecting to a DirectQ server in DM. DirectQ is a question with regards to Windows 10. I know it works fine in Windows 7 Pro, and doesn't work well in XP Pro. Since development stopped before 10 was released, and that's what most use I would think, I don't know if it's 10 compatible as a server. So if one wanted to beta test, this would be the best task. 
Inky Scratchy 
Not sure if it fits quake's bestuarium, but it just creeped out my mind. Something with a vanishing sprite fog.

octo
pussy 
@madfox 
I love it!! =D 
Cthulhu Approves 
so it certainly fits Quakes bestiarium.
And a real beauty it is, at that! 
Same Species I Suspect 
I've read that they have a brainpart for each tentacle and seem to be highly intelligent. Apart from that they have eyes with the seize of a bowling ball, and have extra uv sight like cats.
That a terrible animal can be so hiddious. 
Unreal 1/Gold Map Work In Progress. 
Skaarj base themed level.

Screen 1
Screen 2 
Marvelous ! 
Help me get up if you made that with the UnrealrEd v01. Never understood the crashes it caused.

Top notched screenies! 
Some Old Teasers, Warmed Up 
Whoa! Cool!!! 

Juicy Stuff 
As always. Looking forward to this along with AD 1.8 
@Mfx 
we are tired of waiting!!! ;-) 
Amazing! 
I've always asked myself how to do such angled brushwork, especialy angled arches. 
I Give Up 
That map I posted screenshots of earlier... I have no motivation to finish it. It's not even a matter of scale... Even if I scaled back my ambitions, I don't even have the motivation to finish even a much smaller layout, let alone populate it, test it, etc.... Whenever I open the editor I just get bored. And in general, I've been coincidentally steadily losing all interest in even playing video games since I started making it, let alone creating something game-related of my own.

And yet, I think it's a unique theme, with some potential. I don't want to fall prey to the sunk cost fallacy (and God knows I sunk plenty of time detailing tiny areas of this unfinished map) so I'm not going to force myself to continue, but would any mappers have any interest in having a peak at the scraps? It would take two minutes for me to drop the map file and the wad files I used into a zip or something and upload it or email it somewhere. Maybe someone will have mercy on my wasted time and do something with it. One can dream. 
That Sucks. 
But I understand.

We should have a general scrap repository on func... 
He's Done It 
#16330 Metlslime 
I agree. Smooth scrolling textures are incompatible with Quake's software renderer architecture, but they're worth it.

The easiest way for software renderers to implement scrolling textures without sacrificing lightmaps is to scroll them in the surface caches, similarly to.how WinQuake scrolls the overlay of sky textures. A default scrolling speed of 32 or 48 texel coordinates per second could be very effective. WinQuake's sky overlay scrolling looks jerky because it scrolls only 8 or 4 units per second. 

yo mankrip, are you planning on releasing your engine anytime soon? or at least your SW quake improvements?

the world could use something better than engoo. 

There's Engoo, Super8 and MarkV. And the latter two have way better compatibility with community maps than I can hope to achieve.

For dithered software rendering improvements, there's Makaqu 1.5.2. It still uses the vanilla WinQuake rendering architecture, so its changes can be easily ported over to other engines. 

Yes, I'm aware. But I'm also aware of the improvements you made to RetroQuad and I wanted to make use of those for my mod.

I find it curious, since in your twitter feed:
> Nothing would make me happier than someone willing to create a new game using the technology I'm creating for Retroquad. Nothing would make me happier than knowing that my tech inspired someone to do that.
> There's nothing I crave more than that in my life.

But at the same, you're not sharing a page where we can buy the engine, or sharing the source-code, or anything like that. It's basically just yours, yet you want people to use? 

Just put up an itch.io page or something 

At this point, I should have completed at least the renderer. But I didn't.

I prefer to not give excuses, I'm lucky to have not died yet.

My life doesn't let me fulfill that dream.

I've got a vision for the Retroquad renderer, several other improvements have already been planned out, including some massive optimizations, and it pains me to see that vision being not fulfilled. If I managed to get at least the BSP renderer finished and fully rewritten, I could consider my "life mission" in this engine complete.

But I am lucky to have simply not died yet. 
Never Give Up 
Ok, sounds like the beginning of that kind of cheesy inspirational speeches, but heck, whatever.
There is that quote by da Vinci that "Art is never finished, only abandoned."
Maybe take a break from your engine project, look after yourself so you do not die, and later on when you feel the urge, pick it up again.

At least for me that often helped with getting things done in the end, even if there where years of halting the project in between.
On the plus side those projects often benfited from the new experiences and knowledge i collected in the meantime. 
From Twitter... 

holy crap that map looks awesome, so intricate. 
Love Those Pictures! 
Map looks awesome, can't wait to play it! 
Here's A Ceremonial Circle For You. 
I Really Enjoy 
the small brick variant used there. 
Thanks Drew 
It's one of the wall textures from Doom, modified to resemble the Quake swampy brickwork. I nicked it from UDOB. 
Beta-Testers WANTED 
Hi!

After allmost more then a year my first mod "Adoria" is going to become finished.
Now I'm interested in what you guys think about it and ask you to help me to get the job in its final lap.

Every demo or review is wellcome.

You can download the mod here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MKt75IHzlGx69ebkfzKkBcXtWtFMYQte/view?usp=sharing

The mod has been tested with "fteq64" because Quakespasm 0.92 cause crashes with explosions on multiple custom debris.

You can expect a story, based on id-classics, different environments, different music tracks in one map, references to films and games

In the meanwhile my tasks are:

1. creating one more room "the greenhouse"
2. creating the final voicetrack that closes the story
2. polishing up the environment
3. polishing up some of the music tracks
4. polishing up the gameplay

best wishes! 
Re: Testing Adoria_beta 
Anyone else getting this error on the first map?

Mod_LoadTexinfo: 90 texture(s) missing from BSP file
Host_Error: Mod_LoadModel: 9 not found 
Bad Ah! 
Well I'm done with modelling my octopush, but my skin file gets twisted. Maybe it is my configuration.
octopusy.gif

Here is the creature, I added a qc :
<a
href="http://home.kpn.nl/lo2kf8/quake/models/Q1_octa.zip">octopusy.zip</a> 

Skinsize 
I'm not sure bit in game my skinfile gets ruined. Has to do something with the odd size 68x616. 
Maybe Try With Something 
that is divisable by 16, 64x560 or something like this. 

The height limit for skins in GLQuake is 480. 
Grm... 
I lowered it already to 64x306 but it doesn't matter. The half size picks up the black outlines.

I think it's the result of my chasm UV flipping. 

Skin width must be divisible by 4. Your skin is 614x68.
273 frames of animation is also pushing it. 
Ah! 
Yeh, lots of frames. I should stick to the 255.
I'll ook for the size again.

Thanks for the hints! 
More Skin Is Better... 
Very nice octopussy Madfox. It can be tricky to keep track of animating all those tentacles, nicely done.

Anyway, here is a Quake model to have a gander at:
To liberate your wild curiosity 
Ludwigh XIII 
Thanks, indeed it has a tricky foot. Although I think the shoulder parts a bit frozen. I would like to go for a sliding ball as sienna can get very flexible.

Good model, it is more realistic than I would fight avant-garde with. But beatific skin setting.

I'm eagerly searching for that dust appearance after making some sprites myself.
Do you have an idea how it is done? 
To Model Or To Sprite?... 
Madfox, for this scene the gun smoke and dust are models with scaling and position keyframed, along with the alpha blend shader. These models have only one single skin so there is no sprite animation. The effect is achieved by key-framing these three attributes:

A closer look

The model skins can be converted to sprites with AdQuedit 1.3. You can spawn these sprites as temp entities on the correct frame in code. You can also give the sprites a self.alpha for each frame.

Here are my smoke and dust alphas already in Quake palette as an example:
http://www.quaketastic.com/files/misc/dust_textures.zip 
The Sprite 
I was already amazed by the way you had that alpha on the pinetree. I see your aproach is different than mine.
I see you're using Blender to make these attitudes. I never managed to get my model in it, but it looks good seeing it is possible.

Only way I can use sprites is with an alpha screen on tiff file. Other extentions loose the transparant quality.

AdQuedit, I used it once to change the hub files. Didn't know it had that ability. 
I Come Bearing Gifs 
Nice Stuff 
and quite good for learning pruposes too! 
Ouch 
Right in the motivation package...

Just kidding, that stuff is awesome :D 
Then 
they aren't released maps, or are they? I wanted to check the texture set of this map: http://born-robotic.net/spog/thumbnails/isntanttele.gif
It suits the maps i am making lately. 
Seen A Couple Of These Before 
It's for a future release. 

Cocerello, I think they are from Makkon's textures:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_D51Sc4eaugI4XEwqHtSjD7Pkn0DFNIg 
Qmaster 
Thanks. Yeah, they are the same ones: even though it is hard to see details on the .gif, with the name i tracked them back to the source, on Twitter, and found the release post and later Bal showing some screenshots of that map to Makkon.

Surprisingly they look a lots less sharp on the map than on the .wad, which makes me think if Bal edited them a bit ... also because they are 178Mbytes and the textures for detail are all together into a single picture.

And, by the way, is there another repository for .wad files like Quaddicted or Quaketastic now? I have seen some new textures for Quake in the last years but no new files on either of them. 
Re: That Malice Textured 1024 Map 
Finally sealed that bad boy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJklY_akUEs

I'm cautiously optimistic about meeting the Xmas Jam 2021 deadline now. 

Made in Quest??? 
Looks Great Neggers. 
Just needs a proper skybox, some fog, and nice coloured lights. 
Nice 

Also does anyone know what map has a "bloodfall" texture? I think I recall playing a map that had one but I can't remember what map. 
Wrong Thread 

Jam3 Has Bloodfalls 
Else search quaddicted wads

https://www.quaddicted.com/files/wads/ 
Czg07? 

ps Bal shit is as inspiring/dispiriting as ever.
Love the pointers and hints marbled in with the brainbreaking detail shots.
Negke - yes please! Some of my favourites from you are in this vein. Hope to get to play eventually. I'll even record a demo! (will probably record it in quoth though, full disclosure)
Shambler - you've been oddly quiet on the map front as of late! Here's hoping you release something with a proper skybox, some fog and nice coloured lights some time soon 
Drew 
Thanks for the encouragement, I haven't been mapping nor playing Quake though, I've been catching up on other games, and painting: https://teamshambler.blogspot.com/ 
@Qmaster 
@Qmaster, are you still working on the keep mod? 
Gaaaaaaaay 

Jk 
hope you map soon tho 
Put The Jump Boots In The Keep Mod 

Stained Glass 
Finally a way to blast the window and get way through the pew!
tiffany 
Ah 
stupid, it's sealed. 
That Looks Very Cool. 

Maybe A Grenadelauncher.., 
Not To... 
...be a downer, but is that window intended to be used in places where a solid wall would exist underneath it? 
Unreal? In My Quake 1? 
Screenshot

Using Hourences' converted icy skaarjtech textures from Xidia Gold. 
Indeed 
Presuming it would be on 64 units height would give a natural look. It is always possible to lower the gibs of the underlying debris.

It is made as a static_debris using "newton force", that makes it possible to ruin every object in an exploding act so al components make a real advantage use of the gravity they depend on.

I made it a second time, as the first one didn't give enough space to crawl through. Now I'm left with a ruined scrambled skin. 
As You Can 
see

These are both static_debris with the original as reference. I used the HR tga windows0_1 skin file, so it might look a bit pale.

Now it has ruined my qc knowledge how to toggle it on and off for use as breakable and how to correkt the skin file. 
&amp; 
as this is the beta thread..,
here you can find both files.
If someone can clear up my qc settings I would explode it! 
What Kinn Said... 
it looks like half the debris will end up inside the wall. 
Yes 
I know. The first one with the falling glass ends nice upon one side, but won't leave space to get through.
The exploding one will leave debris in the wall, but I don't think that's relevant taking in mind that there are fifty scattered objects. They do fall both sides, are penetrable. I made the bouncing box just high enough to jump over.

My god, I start excusing my glass assurance!:P 

The exploding one will leave debris in the wall, but I don't think that's relevant taking in mind that there are fifty scattered objects

I'd say it's very relevant. Just tweak the direction of the force in your simulation to throw them clear. Should be a trivial fix. 
Sure! 
I could make a debris causing it in or outwards.
I did it this way because I want to use it on both sides.

You are right saying it is relevant, but do you see much errors except the scrambled skinfile

madfox: It's only a polish thing. The physics simulated pieces in your current animation are impressive looking, but it will be less impressive if they pass through the surrounding wall geometry without reacting to it.

This is already above the quality bar expected by quake players in terms of breakable objects. 
True 
Tracing my workaround I see myself with an idea. The first window was a catch, but had a bit lame appearance. That's how I window would act when beaten by an axe. Then I to get through of it, and have the look of a grenade explosion.

After making the right setup I was able to get a real explosion blast. By then I was so surprised a bit attention lost my intrest in doing better. 
Trimmed 
exa
exb

Now how to make the impact two staged,
first the glass then the henge.

:P 
Much Better 

Checkoff 
winsmash0

The winmash.mdl is the "borderlined" one. 
I Like SoulsBorne Quake? 
I've been most preoccupied lately, but here is about 6 months or so of stuff I threw together. A lot of stuff used: Blender, XNormals, InstantMeshes, OBJtomap and of course Trenchbroom.

Art Gallery 
Right On Spot 
That makes an Ogre feel awfull low textured!
Great work, got shivers of cold.
Especialy the figurine, almost too real. 
Amazing 
Redfield, those screenshots are terrific. As a big fan of the Souls series myself and Bloodborne, you nailed the aesthetic perfectly. The inside of that Cathedral is awesome, and so are all the models. And the model of Lady Maria is so friggin good, god.

If you need any beta testing, please I insist.

And we can't neglect Madfox's smashing windows :) 
Thanks 
I've not had the time to accomplish a lot since this whole season of unpleasantness began, as I've been really busy.

Another issue is I'm using the AD code base so its not a s straightforward as it would be to come up with solutions to some of the problems I've had with the code.

I will contact you for help when things have progressed a little further though. 
Escape From Quakertraz 
Hey guys, would love some of you peeps to give my map a try. It's the first one I have made but it's getting some good compliments over at the quake speedrunning discord, which i'm a part of. I think you guys might really like it. hopefully lol

Give it a look. There are screen shots in the .zip too so you can get a taste before trying :)

File download:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1r5OXyKrxuL-OuDbVblx9iefHvWoBCA-e 
Stylaphone 
I've tried your map-beta.

I like very much all the original details (cameras on ceiling, broken buttons, tools, etc). I laughed at the squared cigarets on a table.

But here are my critics:

1. The start map lacks a nightmare entrance.
2. Many doors of the main map are too crude or doesn't look like doors.
3. The rocky natural parts are too "squared", especially the exterior parts near the end. Need more debris, smaller rocks and cracks or something there.
4. level was too easy, not enough assholes to squash (especially in nightmare mode).

I suggest that you make this an AD level (with some of the new monsters).

Some parts could be breakable... 
Barnak 
Thank you for the feedback Barnak 👍 very helpfull and I'm glad you liked it :)

Is it possible to convert it to an AD map this far down the line? How would I do that? 
Stylaphone 
Here i have a demo of your map, so you can see how others play it. It is a first time playthrough.

http://quaketastic.com/files/demos/efq_demo_cocerello.zip

liked it: it has some good looks and lighting, and plenty of ideas added and detail to it. The combats are not tedious or unfair, and the secrets are well done. It is also good to see that you put the effort so the map does not require any special engine or mod.

On the other side, it seems that you put too much attention on adding detail and not on detailing the map itself: Putting more work on making the rooms' general brushwork and composition, combats and layout themselves more detailed and varied would have worked better than adding lots of details to blocky rooms.
- The combat are a bit too straightforward and need some surprise or ambush, or just use the T intersections to throw enemies to the player from both sides.
- Some more variety in scale of the rooms.
- The way to the NG is probably too hard, save for speedrunners. As you set it up to make lots of damage it needs also a green armour or megahealth with the NG, at least on skill 0 and 1, and make the pipe on diagonal a bit bigger.
You need to give also a clue to the player that the slime is so harmful. Maybe a message and use another slime texture.
- Some doors need to be set up so they last longer open or stay open (wait -1 on the editor). For example, on the start map, as the player cannot hear what the door opened from there and the door itself has no message, it is hard to guess it is related to the beginning, even more as that side room resembles the ones on SoA expansion pack start map.
- Some doors are a bit hard to navigate and would need some clip brushes.
-It is too easy, save for the NG part or in skill 0. I would recommend to spice up the encounters or to set them up so the enemies do not aggro till the player is inside the rooms. The number of enemies is ok.
- Make it harder than the rest from the endless pit onwards.

To summarize, i would focus on spicing up the combats, fix some of the doors closing and the NG part, and yo would be ready to release. 
Stylaphone 
Is this a beta or a released map? You put in here as beta and on Quaddicted as a release. 
Cocerello 
I was ready to release it, as I had a couple of testers play it and I made the adjustments they suggested so I thought it was ready to release lol. I'm extremely new at all this so wasn't really sure where I was supposed to post it or what the normal procedure was :/

I couldn't get your demos to play. I tried them on JoeQuake and Quakespasm but it just gives me an error.

In terms of the NG and the acid, were you not using the hazmat suit?

Thank you for all your feedback as well man and taking the time to play the level. I'd really like to watch those demos. 
So 
is it a beta or a release? If it is a release you need to make a news thread (bottom of the page while on the main or news page).

About the error in the demos, could you copy the text here? I recorded them on Quakespasm without anything special so they should work. Were you maybe playing them on AD or any other mod? That could be the reason as i recorded them in id1 (modless), and would also explain why i haven't seen an envirosuit in the map. 
Correction 
To submit a news thread is on the TOP of the news page and bottom of the forum page. 
Cocerello 
I would say it's a release.

in terms of the demos. For Quakespasm it says:

playing demo from efqc.dem (I renamed it)
fitzquake 0.85 server (24778 crc)
escape from quakertraz
using protocol 666
host_error: model maps/efq.bsp not found

for joequake it say:
playing demo from efqc.dem
fitzquake 0.85 server (24778 crc)
server returned version 666. not 15
host_error: cl_parseservermessage: Illegible server message.

??????
I don't know what any of that means lol 

did you record the demo and then later rename the bsp? That would explain Quakespasm's error. 
Stylaphone 
It is ok to rename the demo file, it will not change a thing.

About Quakespasm, it is what metlslime said: The .bsp file you have has a different name. You probably renamed it for release but the one you were compiling has another filename. Grab the one from the pack you linked here, put it in /id1/maps and try again.

About Joequake, it is saying that it does not recognize the version of the server used for recording the demo, as it is exclusive of Fitzquake-type Quake engines. 
I Shrunk 
a shambler & shambler shrunk my textures.
:P 
There Is Any News? 
First Map, Feedback Appreciated
#15806 posted by Poorchop on 2018/08/30 18:11:45
I wasn't able to finish this map and I won't be able to work on it for a really long time, so I'm releasing it as an unfinished beta...

Is this avesome map still beta? 
First Single Player Beta. &quot;Can't Stop Me Now&quot; 
Map Layout Testing 
Hello
I have a map blockout that needs testing if anyone is interested.
Requires Arcane Dimensions. Base themed and very combat focused.
Please ignore the fugly build and some rather blunt triggering atm :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/331t5sddionrm9x/zqfdraft01.bsp?dl=0 
First Single Player Beta 2. Electric Boogaloo 
Just an update of the beta I posted before.

Comments and critiques welcome.

http://www.quaketastic.com/files/sc_CSMN_beta2.zip 
Rogue Teleporter Noise At Origin 
Use the "silent" spawnflag (2) on all point-sized trigger_teleport entities! 
Re: Rogue Teleporter Noise At Origin 
HA! It worked! Many thanks negke! 
Tribute To Escher 
While mapping some idiot samples of a distorted Escher map I came to the point to add the TurnWig to the level. Faintly the thing came up with a 3000 vertices model.
After a few days grimming on giving up I found a movearound with *.obj transport that minimized it back to the save zone of 800 verts. Now wait till it starts rolling against the walls. :P 
Cute Guy 

SgtCrispy 
I have an skill 1 demo of your map.

http://quaketastic.com/files/demos/sc_csmn_beta2_cocerello.zip

It is a good map, solid and well balanced. The lighting is adequate and the secret i found was well planned.

On the other side, the map is too straightforward, as it is most of the time just staying on the place and shooting at the front. I think it needs some more ambushes or enemies from the side or a different floor, like it is on the two slime areas or at the silver door. For example, the encounter at the silver key would be a lot better if making the room a bit bigger and teleporting the enemies to the sides or at an upper floor, while being careful that the player not just stays at the door shooting. Other way would be to change some more corridors into T sections that end soon and place the enemies there.
Another thing to take into account is that the map can be finished even in skill 2 with only the SG and even leave withan almost full caché of shells. I think you should change some big shell boxes for normal ones, like the one with the NG.
I would also make it so the jumping grunt at the beginning will ot aggro till the player is inside the room. 
First Single Player Beta 3 
Reworked some areas. Added some stuff.

A little more light and monster/ammo tweaking should be about all.

Should be a slight improvement over beta 2 I hope.

http://www.quaketastic.com/files/sc_CSMN_beta3.zip

Pics of tweaked areas
http://www.quaketastic.com/files/sc_csmn_beta2_1.png
http://www.quaketastic.com/files/sc_csmn_beta2_2.png
http://www.quaketastic.com/files/sc_csmn_beta2_3.png 
@SgtCrispy 
Here's a Skill 1 demo with commentary throughout.

Things I liked:

Nice little old school map. I prefer shorter maps so this was great for my tastes. The secrets I found were fun and rewarding. I liked how you wove in some outdoor areas here and there. I'd suggest adding more if you want. i.e in the the silver key area you have an enemy fire in at you from outside. That was cool. The exit room was really nice. High contrast looks great in there. You have some nice multi-stage contraptions (silver key room) - more of those would be awesome.

Some things to consider:

Base maps are kind of hard to nail because they can get "busy" very quickly if you use a bunch of colorful textures. You have some very "vibrant" areas in the map that are almost too much to look at. So for example you have some doors with big yellow light textures surrounding them. Some of those are a bit much for my tastes. But this is a subjective thing. I think overall you have a decent looking base map here.

As far as gameplay. It's an easy map.I am going to go back and play this on hard to see any differences. Many of the enemies are on the same plane as the player. That's too Doom-y for me. There's one area where you have enemies attack from above though. That took me off guard because it was rare in your map. You may want to mix up some of the elevations in the map where possible.

You had some dead end areas and that's okay but I was a bit confused here and there as you'll see in the demo. Also maybe mix it up a bit on your doors. I missed the nail gun area completely. If you had a "see thru" door that showed me the gun was there I would have noticed it. As it stands, you have some doors that are unlocked and some that are "opened elsewhere.

One last thing: those "phat" railings in the central slime room are out of control! I'd re-work those to match some of the better railings in the map. Makes for much better visibility. I didn't notice the hatch until much later for example.

There are some buttons you need to fix the lip and add wait -1 after they are tripped. Little fixes here and there.

Okay, that's enough from me! Good job. Keep mapping and enjoy yourself. 
FSPM Beta 4. 
Some more tweaks ect.

Hopefully should be the last construction build
and will be moving on to monster placement ect ect.

http://www.quaketastic.com/files/sc_CSMN_beta4.bsp 
In The Elder World 
Some WIP Stuff 
I did some mapping with LibreQuake textures. These work-in-progress maps might or might not show up in LibreQuake (they're not official by any means), but I strung them together to form an impromptu mini-campaign. Perhaps some enjoyment can be derived from giving these maps a go.

https://maikmerten.de/maps/savlqmaps/ 
SavageX 
SLIGHT SPOILERS FOLLOW

Fun little mini-episode. I'll have to go back for the secrets I missed; enjoyed the ones I did find. The ending of the last map made me chuckle.

Some thoughts:

The good:

I really liked the first and second map (and the transition map was a cool effect). Got a little lost in the second one and found myself looped back to the GK door without having encountered the GK itself -- had to go back and find an area I'd missed. Maybe that's just me, or maybe progression in the second map could be tweaked a bit.

Quite a few of the textures are really nice (which is more feedback for the LibreQuake team than for you specifically, I guess) and I really like the old-school-but-not-quite architecture, which I often find more charming and interesting than every-brick-is-a-brush excessive detail.

The less good (in my opinion):

The horde fight in the first map feels a little too climactic for the first map in an episode. On a related note, you were also a tad overly generous with the weapons here, leaving pretty much nothing new to be found in the second and third maps -- particularly if the player finds all the secrets.

(Since you wrote that you just pretty much just glued together a few maps in an impromptu fashion, I guess this map was not necessarily meant to be the the first map of an episode, so my criticism might not be that relevant.)

In fact, in my opinion both horde fights (in the first and last map) kind of clash with the old-school approach the maps otherwise follow, as do the use of so many high-tier monsters. Perhaps not much of an issue now, but I wonder how well this kind of gameplay would fit LibreQuake's vision. Plus, I just find horde fights boring (but that's just me!).

The ugly:

Sorry to say this, but the start map is really ugly (I don't mean the two jokey textures; I liked those). The final map was also a bit of a let-down after the other two. It feels perhaps a bit unfinished (WIP, I know), with a few areas being maybe somewhat underdetailed. I mean, I like the restrained aesthetic overall, but the final map features a few too many large monotextured blocks. It was also a little disappointing to see so many textures repeated form the first map, which made this one feel less like a separate place. It would have been nice if it had more of a distinct identity, especially after that transition map.

Overall, though, I enjoyed this. It's made me excited for LibreQuake. Thanks for sharing. 
@threekidsinatrenchcoat 
threekidsinatrenchcoat, thanks for giving these maps a try and providing your thoughts!

I'm glad you in general seem to like maps one and two - those are "new", while the third map is a retextured version of my SM181 entry from a while back with a few tweaks here and there. I resurrected that one mostly to give the LibreQuake textures a try. Being satisfied with the quality of the textures, I created the other two maps. I guess the retexture did nothing to hide the speedmap roots ;-)

As you have noticed, the weapon progression in the impromptu mini-episode does not make a lot of sense. As fact, all maps right now are designed for a "shotgun start" and it is as of now unclear in what episode and in which slot these maps end up being (in fact, it is unlikely that these maps will end up in the same episode). The "shotgun startability" means each map is keen to provide ample of supplies, which feels overly generous. With a proper placement being settled on, it then should be possible to redistribute weapons and items accordingly.

I assume you'll be happy to hear that this particular start map is not LibreQuake's start map, I simply slapped that one together to have *something*. I'm glad I did not invest a lot of effort into that one, for the following reason:

Given that each map is somewhat "standalone", the start map perhaps instead should be a "map selection hub" and not just a difficulty select. As such, the premise of the current start map to be a "quickly thrown-together classic Quake start map" may be flawed.

As for missing the GK on the first run through the loop in map two: I'm somewhat surprised that players don't seem to reliably notice the brightly lit gold key placed in plain view in an otherwise dimly lit environment. You are not the only one that left the GK behind, so I guess I might have to prevent players from leaving the area too soon or have a stronger visual cue. 
SavageX 
Thanks for the detailed response!

Funny, I hadn't recognised sm181_savage under the new coat of paint, but of course it's so obvious in retrospect. I played that map back when it was released and found it incredibly impressive for a speedmap, both in terms of visuals and gameplay. But I guess one holds speedmaps to a different standard, even if just subconsciously.

Sorry to have been so harsh regarding the start map. I knew it was quickly thrown together and not meant as a "serious" start map. I just felt that it was unnecessarily off-putting, given how nice the actual maps that follow it are. I had another look at it and don't really mind the relatively simplistic brushwork and layout. The clear homage to the id1 start map is charming and cute. My main problem with it is the texturing. And not actually the textures themselves -- I just think they're really not well-chosen for the spaces; especially that brown brick texture in the main room of the start map. My first thought when moving through the start map initially was "ugh, the LibreQuake textures still need a lot of work". However, the subsequent maps clearly show that the textures can actually look really good when used properly. Seeing that the LibreQuake textures are sort the raison d'etre for this map pack, I think it might be worth ensuring the player's first glimpse of said textures do them justice.

Err, sorry if I rambled a bit there and if it still sounds overly harsh. I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

Given that each map is somewhat "standalone", the start map perhaps instead should be a "map selection hub" and not just a difficulty select.
That would certainly work. Swampy feels like it could be part of a longer episode, but castellated can (/should?) certainly stand on its own (perhaps it's worth considering releasing it on its own -- you know, as a "proper" release?).

I was going to suggest swapping swampy and castellated around as an alternative solution, and just tried that out (by renaming the bsps). Gameplay-wise it does flow better this way, but aesthetically I have to admit preferring it the way you've set it up, with castellated as the first map.

By the way, in case you do decide to turn the start map into a hub and have each map be played as standalone: when I played through swampy from shotgun start, I found there to be frustratingly little ammo at the start (skill 1). A couple more shells wouldn't be amiss here. The rest of the map played fine. 
Erratum 
sms_savagex, I mean. D'oh. 

sm181_savagex!

The hell is wrong with me. 
Just To Clarify... 
The rest of the map played fine.
Just to clarify (probably needlessly, but hey, why not turn an already embarrassing triple post into a quadruple disaster): I mean that it played fine in terms of ammo balance. Didn't pay so much attention to other aspects of the map and what I wrote earlier about the GK progression still stands. Obviously the second time around I had a better idea of where to go first and I was basically just rushing through it to get an idea of how swampy and castellated would play if swapped around. 

Thanks again for your kind feedback and detailed response. Given that the start map will shape the first impression for most people, I guess that putting in some extra effort there does make sense.

Thankfully I still have a rather intricate start map lying around from a scrapped project - and it turns out that the LibreQuake textures work really well there: https://maikmerten.de/maps/savlqmaps/newstart.jpg 
SavageX 
My pleasure.

Loving that new screenshot; I'm jealous of your terrain work.

I do have one last very general bit of constructive criticism; please disregard if you disagree. I really like everything you've released so far, but I do feel like your maps -- at least in part -- have a tendency to be slightly overscaled. This was more of an issue for me in dreadbase, many areas of which I thought could have been scaled down quite significantly.

Still, in the two new maps (castellated and swampy), as nice as they look, I felt that many parts would have looked even better were they just scaled down ever so slightly; perhaps by about 10%. Certainly not to the point of becoming cramped; just so as not to feel overly spacious and empty. One clear example would be the near-circular room with the fiends and the pool of blood. Not that I'm suggesting you redo anything in these maps, but maybe it's something to keep in mind in future. Then again, what do I know? :) 
Scale Is Hard 
Well, yeah, scale in Quake is hard.

Quake guy seems to be rather short, while moving unreasonably fast.

My major point of reference for scale is doors, then scale the rooms accordingly. In castellated, I chose 192 qu for door height (wizard doors, as in e1m3). These doors indeed dwarf the player, and so do the rooms. This is not unintentional for magic castle-libraries with "you're not welcome here"-architecture, but may still be excessive, so I *do* see your point.

In swampy, doors are 128 qu tall and the map *is* built to a smaller scale. Of course, I still like my big cave and outdoor areas...

farty is the oldest of these three maps, and also has 192 qu doors. So the scale here should be comparable to castellated.

Scale is a topic I'll have to keep in mind. 
@SgtCrispy 
What's going on with your Base map? I just played your Beta1 and then Beta4 (didn't see it until later). I liked the changes that you made along the way! 
@threekidsinatrenchcoat 
I think you'll find that the current snapshot available at https://maikmerten.de/maps/savlqmaps/ now features a much improved start map. 
SavageX 
Indeed!

As was already clear from the screenshot you posted, the terrain work in the map is really nice. And I agree that the LibreQuake textures work well in this map -- although having reddish fireballs emerge from yellow lava looks a bit odd.

Love the way you integrated the notepad message at the start. :) 
@Greenwood 
The usual rl stuff and world on fire mental dread was keeping me distracted. Should have something around this weekend.
Thank you for the interest, kind of needed a reminder I was working on a map. 
FSPM Beta 5: The BSP Awakens 
Added and tweaked some enemy placements with a couple minor geo and lighting tweaks.

Should be the last beta (fingers crossed again)

http://www.quaketastic.com/files/sc_CSMN_beta5.bsp

http://www.quaketastic.com/files/sc_CSMN_beta5.txt 
@SgtCrispy 
Here is a demo of your latest beta (#5):
http://www.quaketastic.com/files/demos/csmn_greenwood.zip

I like it! It's a nice little retro map. The only secret that I didn't get was the rafter quad (which I didn't need). Maybe you could change that with something more useful, like grenade launcher, because you end up killing everyone in that room before you get to it. 
FSPM Beta 6/RC1: The Final Countdown 
BETA 6 LAST ONE I SWEAR! (unless someone finds a major boo-boo)

Added and tweaked weapons placements.

Changed the sewer secret train to a lift. Simpler and less noisy.

Minor stuff you won't notice probably.

http://www.quaketastic.com/files/sc_CSMN_beta6_RC1.bsp
http://www.quaketastic.com/files/sc_CSMN_beta6_RC1.txt 
Pertinax_desastrious 
I rounded up my escher model with a skin texture. I wanted it to use it in a map. Bad is that is rather long, so its bbox won't crawl through holes as I wanted. Also don't wanted to fight it .., more like a passive atribute, but yeh, quake is a shooter, so I couldn't resist it.
A bit strugling with the qc to get it run and roll togling.

pertinax
pertinax
pertinax
pertinax

"pertinaxis_desastrious" a bacteria that lives on chips and silicium. 
I Love It, Madfox 

How does this thing attack? 
It Doesn't Have To Attack 
Whilst Ranger is busy "wtf"ing at it, that's when the other monsters get the drop on you.

Clever girl... 
Secret Project 
Madfox, could you email me a copy of that model? I've had this idea for an animation gimmick in Quake for a while, and that creature is the perfect candidate to try it... 
On Its Way 
Some lingering monsters, an amonite or so..,

I had this intention earlier to add a population of statics, to serve as eyecandy. Things like birds that just fly arround to enlightened the grimm of the dark.

Right, as if a flog of squeeking ravens would comfort me.:P
No, they will attack me and I will defend myself.

It is just that this kind of attitude does not fit in Quake. A static won't move, a bird jumps over from walkmove to flymove. To much hussling with code I'm not familiar with. (yet) To make a walkmonster_go and a flymonster_go it has to switch between these two scripts, and I learnd with my amphebian this isn't the easiest way to do it.
The same goes for beez. Making a flog isn't that hard, but the bbox widthold its appearance. And a bbox for every bee costs to much entities.

It must be possible to adjust only one black point in game, that could function like that. I wish I had the knowhow to do so. From there it would be easy to make beez, or add fleez to an Ogre.

But whatever, it seems anything has to be shot in Quake, even a lost refugee who has done anyhing but being there. I won't mind if I loose my shells on shooting ravens, but I first have to make them fly and land. 
@madfox 
Maybe you can adapt Cannonball's code from the X-Men: Ravages of Apocalypse mod for the raven you want to make. I remember that Cannonball could walk and fly in this mod.

X-Men: Ravages of Apocalypse is free, you can download the game and the sourcecode from this page:
https://www.zerogravity.com.au/xmen/

look for cannon.qc and cannon2.qc 
@Tribal 
Ha, yes I found it. It seems to convert with a FlyThink. Never would have come up the idea.

Thanks for the hint! 
How Crows Would Feel In Quake1 
Here is the first impression how Crows would act in Quake1. I can get them stand and walk, not in one row sadly. As soon as I add run I also need to make them attack, so no space for free wandering still. 
Great Fucking Idea Madfox 
I'd like to see them blacker tho. Also any way to make a 'skybound only' setting? 
How Zombies Would Squeel 
It is an old concept of Necros, trying to port a H2 raven model to quake. It ought to just surf around, sit down and pick around, fly in flogs, gather.

Quake doesn't have that many th_entity settings, so I split up the stand and walk functions in two toggable poses, and took the run function for fly.

Still was confronted with the error it would only walk with two seperated files. So one can be used for sky tracing only. It still will attack though.

Bad intentions for standing wagon wheels with hanging zombies and crows on top, burning cities in the background.

QRaven 
@Preach 
I keep getting a noreply on your email adress, is something broken? 
Quake Ravens 
are awesome. 
First Release, Looking For Feedback 
Hello everyone! This is a medium to small-sized base map I was working on for almost a month now, and potentially my first Quake release. It is not in the final state yet, and any kind of feedback is appreciated, including demos! You can DM me in discord @ Mista Heita#9082

Quoth and protocol 999 is required. Tested, working with QS/QSS.
Download
Some screenshots 

Those screenshots look lovely.

Protocol 999 for a "medium to small-sized" map, though? Shouldn't that only be required for Ter Shibboleth-sized monstrosities? 
It's Not Big, It's Deep! 
There are a couple of pits that are just over 4k coords, hence it launches under 999. 
ACTUALLY 
It's just me always testing it with QSS, so it always launches it @ 999. Just tested with regular QS - works with 666! Sorry! 

Heh, that sounds more reasonable :) Remember the limit is 4096 in all directions from the centre, so you effectively have 8192 units of playable area to work with from the very top to the very bottom of your map (or from one side to the other).

And don't quote me on this, but as far as I know for areas the player can never reach, you can even go over that and still have you map work with protocol 666. 
@Mista Heita, Your Map Is Really Impressive 
I wasn't really planning on playtesting it, but curiosity got the better of me. Here's a bit of feedback; make of it what you will.

It looks absolutely fantastic. You must have mapped for other games, right? This does not come across as a first map at all. Beautiful brushwork, clean texturing, and great environmental storytelling. The fog could be toned down a bit, though.

Nice sock-style pseudo start map, although not including easy skill is so 1997. :P

Found 3 of 8 secrets, though I wasn't really looking. Can imagine myself going back and secret hunting in the final version of the map, since you have created such a beautiful, interesting space.

Overall, gameplay is good, albeit in need of a bit more polish in my opinion. The following applies to skill 1:

The first part of the map needs more ammo. By the time I encountered the first flamethrower enforcer (or whatever they're called), I was completely out of shells. The map had only given me a shotgun and SSG at that point, so this was a problem. Cheating myself 50 shells solved the problem, so I'd suggest adding ~50 shells (or even a few more) somewhere in this part of the map.

After that, health becomes very scarce, which make the map very unforgiving. As Quoth monsters can deal a lot of damage very quickly, not providing more health pickups leaves your players very little room for mistakes. I'd suggest a couple extra health pickups on skill 1.

The final fight is an impressive piece of choreography, but the small space combined with a large number of high-tier monsters makes for an overly brutal experience. Had to switch on godmode to survive. Needs to be toned down for skill 1 in my opinion. Neither ammo nor health is a problem here; there are simply too many monsters dealing damage to the player at once with very little room for escape and avoidance. In addition to reducing the number of monsters, perhaps having a slightly longer delay between waves would help, so as to give the player a bit of a chance to take stock and strategise.

No demo, sorry. :( As I said, wasn't really planning on playtesting.

Once you've ironed out the kinks, this is going to be a stunning debut map! 
Thanks! 
Yea, I've made just a couple of maps for HL2 in the past, for small competitions.

Thank you for playing! Will look into those. 
Can't Play Currently 
but those shots look SICK. nice moody, not unsophisticated lighting, and I'm generally a fan of 'midsized to tight' spaces in quake maps 
First Maps Screenshots 
Absolute Beginner 
Yes, good idea's, lightning is good! It looks like some good maps can be made with it.
Add some decoration and watch out for texture alignment. 

Oldschool vibes with modern lights 
9 posts not shown on this page because they were spam
First | Previous | Next | Last
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2020 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.