News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Chasm_quake_devkit
I read a lot of toppics about the possibillity of making a chasm quake convertion. As with the discusion about beez it often ends up whith a lot of whisfull thinking.
Here my intention to do make a chasm.quake devkit.

So far I've got the models in Quake running, but only on "notarget" function. If you have any ideas here is a devkit with the results.
There is still a lot to be done before all subroutines are cleaned up. For some I have a solution, but there are a lot of double poses in them.

To be done:
- stripping the frames for double action.
- adding the attack pain and death qc.
- eventually change the weapons and attack.
- adjusting the sound files.
- making maps for it with the chasm.wad
- extracting the cieling/floor parts.

Here's the first part of The Sewer map I'm making to try out the first three monsters Stratos - Faust and Spider.

chasm_quake_dev02

sewer1
sewer2
sewer3

I know it is a rather big chunk of work.
I just do it for fun and have no commercial intrest.
Just my urge to see that bastards run in Quake.
:P
First | Previous | Next | Last

about the textures...

The doom community already converted chasm textures to use in doom maps:

https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/texture-stock-mainmenu-152/624-chasm-the-rift-texture-pack

If you know how to extract doom textures, then you can try and see if the floor/ceiling/sky textures are there. 
Well There You Go 
Seems like a competent collection. The floors are there, no duplicates as far as I can see. And even the thin textures are correctly sized.

Meanwhile I have also discovered that Noesis can open .3O models and export them straight to .mdl, animation and all.

Even more than that, Noesis can even open entire Chasm maps and export them to common formats while including the props. Then you can just convert to .map and compile. The whole thing's automated, all that's left are the interactive parts (and matching some texture names). 
@-chedap 
There's a lamp, hanging in the office, slowly turning.
Only way to do that is to develope a lamp and animate it, as quake has no function for it.
Most props like fences I made myself.They are already converted.

And yes, I converted all models first, before I knew Noesis could open .30 models.

What I don't understand is how you convert a map.10 file in Noesis to a map with props. If you can show me how I would like to know. 

To convert a map with props you first need to unpack CSM.BIN with Noesis (it renames certain things in a specific way). Then, on export, you put "-chasmloadmodels" in "Advanced options". This command, and some others, are documented under "Advanced commands" button to the left.

Unfortunately, I was a bit over-optimistic. Not all export formats are viable. OBJ has geometry missing, and FBX has generic material names. So the only options left seem to be Collada or glTF. Collada has slightly more reasonable material names.
Depends on your software. Blender (Assimp as well) fail to automatically hook up the textures in a Collada file. And I had to download a newer glTF importer for Blender for it not to fail on import.

map1 via gltf
map1 via collada
addon map1 via gltf 
Yes 
Quit surprised how you managed to open that BIN file. It looks as if there is a possibility anyway. Would have saved me a lot of work constructing the map.
Blender is not one of my practical habits to use modelimport, but thanks for the hint. 
Too Much Charge Attack 
While searching the bin file I found the floor textures. I can update the wad file now.

I was so disordered by the charg attack of Mong & startaos I didn't know where to look. I had gave them a ldmg statement, but this works much too soon used in a launch attack.
Contraire is that I can'r give them a launch attack strength.

Here is the last update. I replaced all skinn file wuth the UVswapper, but still there's something that cause fitzquake to bounce off.

dev2.28 
There 
goes my heart again. 

The the original chasm, the skeleton's pain pose is not used, I don't think.

Maybe used the Joker and Skeleton models already converted to doom format to fix the skeleton knee and Joker hand blade problem? 

Here is a saved game for Dos chasm that shows the joker, as well as all weapons.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqhmfwgm95f3mfh/CHASM00.rar?dl=0 
Fait Divers 
What's the purpose of "heart" in Chasm? There are a lot of props I can't set foot off. Not that I would convert them all, but things like the "blood" texture ould be made animated. As the switches, which I see no reason to make them static.

Joker and Skeleton are the Zdoom models. Lcaptain has the same kind of raisor, but it's smaller.
I don't see it as a major problem. I added a random pose to skeleton, as if its ditching a death player.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to make NewHero the internet player.

And.., I started with the wad, then converted the monsters, changed some weapons which, I must admit, are a bit more complicated then I thought.
I have to take care or I kill the hub and add dust sprites. 
The Heart 

Madfox, can you explain how the charge damage works? 
Yes 
@_chedap: That explains enough for fidling a way to get around that worm. It looks as if it is a secret place down under it.

@_yeh1: to keep it simple, take the ranger who shoots a scanhit. There is no physical object, ie no w_spike.mdl, that hits the player. Still it receives a charge load that instantly does damage.

The enforcer also shoots a laser, but this is precoded in a Launch_attack, which excecutes on the frame count number it is in the macro.

The difference is that a ranger shoots and the player always gets hit if not out of range, while a laser shot of the Enforcer can be dodged as a (physical) w_spike.

- Adjusted the floor & ceiling textures, and switch animations.
- Made an exit door by using the Iris_door construction.
- Bouncing box Sphinx, and falling Stratos rearranged.

chasm_quake_dev2.29 

So No monster should have charged damage, but you gave charge damage to Mong and Stratos? 

You must see charge_attack like the thing that creates the chainsaw swap pain.
While the Ogre wheels it's saw the charge attack acts like an extra boost.

Mincer has some while it bites. But a little back holding by doing so is recommended.
When a monster has a bite attack of 15* ldmg you can give the two surrounding frames a ai_ charge (8){}; they will count in when a player gets too close.
The attack will give a volume of 31* ldmg.

I deleted most charge attacks for the lower entities. 
Toggle 
While changing the animated button textures of quake to chasm I came upon the question how to make them turn on & off? Is there a flag for it or is it just the even or uneven frames that count?
Now the buttons keep animating while they are turned off. 

How about chart of the monster's health and how much "real" damage they do (charge damage included)? 
Chart Of The Charge 
Indicating charge damage is a bit weird.
First of all, every melee attack has a charge(10) startpoint.
It can be adjusted with ldmg().
It can also be triggered by a phrase at the end of a frame ai_charge(count). So three attack scenes can have a charge with different count and moment.
Then there is the side_melee attack that also has it counts, see ai.qc.
Then there are the Launch attacks that are made up with a ldmg() statement.
So it is not always easy to say what the end count will be related to time in charge and distance.

Here is the chart of the charge:
every melee attack has 10* ldmg. So if (+ 0*) it's already (+ 10*)

chmbat - melee attack 15* (+ 5*) health 80
deadguy - melee attack 25* (+ 10*) missile_attack 20* health 180
fatguy - melee attack 25* (+ 0*) missile_attack 25* health 200
faust - melee attack 25* (+ 0*) missile_attack 25* health 180

goblin - melee_attack 20* (+ 2*) missile attack 25* health 200
gross - melee_attack 25* (+ 20*) missile attack 35* health 240
joker - melee_attack 20* (+ 0*) missile attack 25* health 200
lcapt - melee_attack 35* (+ 22*) missile attack ? * health 600
(missile attack lcapt will probably be the enforcer's laser ldmg)

lionguy - melee_attack 25* (+ 10*) health 350
ltrop - melee_attack 25* (+ 28*) missile_attack 35* health 500
mincer - melee_attack 35* (+ 9*) health 300
grunt - melee_attack 25* (+ 0*) missile attack scanhit health 180

orc - melee_attack 20* (+ 0*) missile_attack 30* health 300
piggy - melee_attack 25* (+ 10*) health 240
sarcof - melee_attack 25* (+ 0*) missile attack 35* health 500
bigSarc - melee_attack 55* (+ 0*) missile attack 75* health 3000

sphinx - melee attack 35* (+ 0*) missile_attack 25* health 500
BigSphi - melee attack 50* (+ 0*) missile_attack 50* health 3000
fantom - melee attack 35* (+ 0*) missile_attack 40* health 600
Bigfant - melee attack 45* (+ 0*) missile_attack hitscan health 3000

scorpio - melee_attack 15* (+ 5*) health 120
stratos - melee_attack 20* (+ 0*) missile hitscan health 120
viking - melee_attack 25* (+ 20*) health 350
t_tower - melee_attack 20* (+ 0*) health 250

skelet - melee_attack 25* (+ 0*) missile_attack hitscan health 330

The big phantoms attack said hitscan, you were not able to fix this? 

Still the wizard code.
As soon as I add a ldmg to a launch_attack it works on instant.
It looks a bit strange to receive damage before getting hit. 

I think that is the biggest problem with the mod right now, other than that the monster attacks mostly good. Maybe look at the source code of the dragon from mission pack 2? Or Drake source code, it has a dragon too. 

Does the source code of the dragon has three fireballs?
I think I could pass that error at the end.
Now I'm constructing an end scene for Worm. 

Madfox, the Dragon could fire two fireballs, so maybe the code can help you to reach three. I think it is a better base than the scrag. The map name is r2m8 

Also, the Stratos's missile attack should not be hitscan either. So its almost exactly like the Dragon's fireball attack. 
Some Ldmg Clearance 
I've been tracing the charge_attack to see what is going on in that pain limit score.

There are several statements that relay on it, starting in the fight.qc.
So whenever an attack takes place these args come to order, independ of the monster.qc.

void() ai_melee =
{ldmg = (random() + random() + random()) * 3;}

So every attack starts with ldmg = (* 3).
Further on

void() ai_melee_side =
{ldmg = (random() + random() + random()) * 3;}

So it is one or the both.

In the monster.qc itself attack_ldmg is stated as

void() lcapt_bite =
{ ai_charge(25);
ldmg = (random() + random() + random()) * 35;}

This second addon_ldmg in this case makes ai_charge 3 + 25 + 35 =
(* 63).
Later on in the attack_frames it is possible to add a comment like

void() lcap_atka7 =[ $atka7, lcap_atka8 ] {ai_charge(14);};

what declares there are 14 * ldmg on account extra.
The limited ldmg the Captain brings in atka7 is (* 77).

This all goes well to know that, if the attack takes place, it results within this outcome.
What happens is that, when I want to make a statement with a missile or laser attack, I can't clearly comment what the charge attacks are.
The wizard is not really using a hitscan, nor stratos or sacrof.
It is the ldmg a laser can offer, and that part of the code is unclear to me. 

madfox, I noticed that the chasm scorpions skin is messed up, and the scorpions also do their melee attack out of range. These problems were not there before. 
Uv Scaling Factor 
The disordered skin was due to the uv scaling of the models.

- Addon of the floor/ceiling textures, animated switch tex (how to toggle
it on and off).
- Added a grey piggy, slightly stronger.
- Wacked with the Phantom code, strange its projectiles sound at start of launch and not at destiny. Kinky monster.
- Fiddled a bit with lightning and fog.
- Adjusted the grenade launcher, but it blows up the game with missing h_scor.mdl, which is untrue, because the file is right there. Will be the launch attack error.
- Made an end exit with the Iris Door from AzrKnight.

dev2.30.zip 

What about the scorpion's melee attack? it seems to be that old lionman problem.

Did you disable infighting for the chasm monsters? seems that the mong and stratos no longer infight.

You shouldn't touch the grenade launcher. That is one of quake's unique weapons with no counterpart in chasm. Just add the chasm weapons. I have enabled the weapons cheat in that joker saved game that I gave you, so you can check how the weapons work. 

madfox, you added a grey pig, does this mean you can make the small Sphinx, Scarof, and Phamtom a different color?

I would suggest separating out the weapons and the monsters. Get all of the monsters working correctly first, then do a release. And then work on the weapons.

Regarding weapons, one thing you need to keep in mind is that the Volcano gun does not act like the nail gun. It is hitscan. so it is more like a rapid fire shotgun.

The super nail gun, the grenade launcher, and the thunderbolt are unique to quake. Don't change these three. 
A La Mod 
does this mean you can make the small Sphinx, Scarof, and Phamtom a different color?

The grey pig skin came with the chasm models.
It's easy to change the skin colour as long as the original one is present. Taking the same macro.qc with some addons make it stand apart its twin.

What happened with the scorpio skin was a mixed up uv filter.
It seems to be a regular error compared compatibillity with other engines.
But it won't help a bad skin like Joker to get better.

I didn't disable anything what infight concerns.
I just changed the details in the map, and worked out the Vikingman crash h_scor.mdl bit.

Weapons, right. Not sure if I understand right.
You want no quake weapons in the mod, or
you don't want no chasm weapons in quake?

By the way, thanks for the notable advice and testing all along. 

Regarding infighting, the mong at the beginning ignores the stratos totally even when he is hit by the stratos. So there is something wrong with Mong infighting.

You should port chasm weapons into quake, but don't remove supernailgun, grenade launcher, and thunderbolt, so there should be 12 weapons total when you are done.

The model you use for grenade launcher is actually the chasm rocket launcher. Chasm does not have a grenade launcher. 

Also, there is no point in having a grey pig that is slightly stronger than a regular pig. Might as well make him a midboss. Make grey pig same size as shambler, 1500 Health, 60 melee damage per hit. 

Also something wrong with the Gross' lavaball, it now looks like it is coming from his hand, but it does look like the lavaball hits me at all. The correct thing should be the lavaball coming from the gross's hand, but flying towards the player's center. 

something wrong with Goblin bounding box, other monsters don't infight with it. 

How is this going Madfox, did you manage to get the big Phantom's attack to work? 

Not coding at the moment.., looking for a way to get worm going. 

That should be easy, right? Make a room with the Heart, then place a teleport on top of the worm. The worm does not move anyway. It is just a rip off of Shub 
I Know, But 
making it happen in a last end screen with text is something diferent.
Anyway, not actually to the point what modelling concerns. 

Okay, some other stuff regarding the joker and the skeleton.

The following pose is not used for the skeleton in chasm.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/chasm-the-rift/promo/promoImageId,94529/

The Chasm skeleton also does not get knock down and get back up again.

also, your skeleton is missing the head butt attack.

The Joker, however, does get knock down and get back up.

These are all the issues with the Joker and the Skeleton.

I noticed that you managed to make the Skeleton's knees look better. Congrats! Hope you can make the Joker's handsaw look better. 

Good site for reference.
There are some pix of the Editor. What should cause the Editor to appear only for a quart on screen? 
Jay! 
I got the editor working in DOSbox after checking out on a win98 computer. That was what I was searching for.

Now I've made my map, saved it well, crunched my way to the Processor way path for events and could only save it on a 30 map, as the cursor damned to change the number.

Now I want to play the map, but every "GO 30" won't respond to the call.
Why won't Chasm play my map? 

I think go is just a cheat code, maybe there is another load map command. 

I can't play the addon1 levels.
After some searching I end up with an argument to change dosbox:

edit dosbox.conf in notepad and relace after "@echo off" below
cd CHASM
CTRLOOP.COM
chasm.exe ADDON:(usermap) -safe

won't work. No way to get access to maps beside the standard, so I wonder how to play further than "Go 16". 

chasm.exe -addon:addon1 
Yes! 
Never thought I could get it working, but hey .., it works!
Where are all the other Chasm usermaps?

Thanks chedap, it´s another console use then quake.
Good to have some extra maps to explore. 

Chasm does not have any user levels, thats why porting the monsters to quake is a good idea 
How Can This Be? 
Is it the rude mapping technic or the lame interest? Normally I'm wild for games with editors, although I could never aim a Doom or Unreal1 map. 

Lame interest, chasm has good models, but the engine sucks, thats why the chasm monsters and the quake engine need to be together 
Won't Give Up 
let's try another chasm_disk 
Csm_edit 
Husseled a bit with the chasm start map and could load it in the editor.
I've been able to add changes to the map.
In game I came to another levelstart

I think it would be better if you changed the dino skin back to the green one.

Does the Joker's handsaw look better now? 

Changing skin isn't that hard, as long as the uv flipping won't harm the performance like the spider had.

The handsaw border skin is very obvious, I can change the shape but not the skinfile, as it starts scrambing as soon it passes the line.

I'm left with two things.
I can't give skeleton three attacks: bite - sword - shout.
For some reason I can only add two attack codes.
So a bite attack for shout will only act on close range, which is no solution.

Joker will regenerate like a zombie?

I have deadguy with a floating light attack for shout.
Also changed the deathpose without head.
How to make it go throwhead in the first deathframe.

Sounds delay on a horrible way. 

Remember I gave you a joker and a skeleton saved game, so you can use those for reference.

But I think that the Skeleton's attacks are the same as the goblin. The goblin has four attacks, left arm, right arm, head, ranged attack.

Joker does not regenerate like a zombie. You see how sometimes an ogre gets knocked on its ass by the shotgun? it is like that. 

I "morphed" the deadguy's shout for a launch attack with no missile object. In this way it looks as a shout attack with a light trace.The others are just bite attack.

Skeleton has a sword attack launch an two bite attacks. Hard to add the another shout attack, as there is only one launch function. 

While playing with the minor chasm monsters it comes to me that they are rather chanceless. When their pain poses are larger than four or six frames the time a player can shoot them is almost enough to kill them before they can recover.

So Joker or skeleton are relatively weak as they have 8 12 and 14 pain frames.
A player can launch four shots in 1 second so when they are aproached from behind they are killed instantly.

Giving them more health in return is a bit lame. 

As close as I can JokerSaw

Can you move the square so that it is attached to the Joker's arm diagonally? 

Just tested the Skeleton in Chasm. It has four attacks total. Two sword attacks with its right arm. One bite attack, and one ranged attack. Any other attack is not used. Like I said, it has the same number of attacks as the Goblin and should not be a problem. 

Regard the Chasm monsters, don't worry about pain state's length. It is a problem shared by Ogres and enforcers. A single enforcer isn't a threat, a group of enforcers is. The chasm small monsters are meant to be used in groups anyway. 
@madfox 
AD has a sawblade in the progs folder (trap_sawblade.mdl) i think it is from one of the official mission-packs.

You could resize it to fit in the Joker's hand 

I could reposition the saw diagonally.

When I use another model to merge this skinfile is so obvious (64×968) that it's ruined with every attempt. 
chasm_quake_dev2.31

- Changed Deadguy death pose.
- Rearranged Joker death/ regenerate in paind frames and handsaw.
- Not repositioned yet. 

Skeleton is pretty good, only thing missing is the head attack.

as I said before, this pose is not used in chasm itself

https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/chasm-the-rift/promo/promoImageId,94529/

All the problems I mentioned in post 351 to 354 are still there tho. 
So 
Yes., it were the old bboxes. I think it's solved now.
Repositioning the saw gets queer in other than commen poses.
I think he catched a cold. :P

Why should we use poses that are not in the original game?
I could give the joker a spellmaster gig. It uses its arm to range, could be a backtrap spell. 

You should make a version faithful to chasm first, then if you can get the spell attack working, then use that for a Joker boss. 

The mong still ignores being hit at all. This is not a bbox problem. I think you need to restore an old version of the mong, maybe version 2.17 

I only tested Faust and Goblin. They seemed to have good infight.
What Mong concerns I can't get grip on its behaviour.
When all have left fighting it is the only one left behind.
Can't make a thing of it. Needs a kick-ass.

With file 2.17 all attacks were scrambled with hitscans by ai_charge.
I had to start over again. 

Then use 2.16 or earlier, the mong's infight work fine back then 
Mong 
- Returned Montgrunt v2.13. Infight is better now.
- Joker with fist repositioned handsaw. first stage.

There seems to be no change in Mong behavior. Check if a mong will fight with a enforcer, and check if a stratos will fight with an enforcer. 

Can you give sacrof armblade to joker? 
Ah, 
Given a chasm/quake.mdl is strictly bound to vert/tris count and skin seize.
I can create a new skin, change the pattern within the mdl file, but that's about all.

It's possible to merge an object into the excisting one by cost of doubling the skinseize. (original + import = 2). Shrink the merging object as small as possible, but still the whole skin file will be lashed.

I've studied the error with Mong, and something strange come to me. MonGrunt has the exact the same code as the Enforcer, with altered launch function aside, but in game they won't hardly have infight.

If I take two Enforcers, they won't attack eachother either, so I think that is what's happening. Code wise it are identicall monsters, so they won't have infight.

The last string I could find is in:
void(vector org, vector vec) GrunLaunchLaser =
{
if (self.classname == "monster_grunt")

If Enforcer has the monster_enforcer code here they will have infight. What happens is that Mong will give an attack, but then quickly starts hunting again. Unfair, as its health of 180 fails enforcer's 80. 

Madfox, not sure if you understand me 100%, but the joker's handsaw is a like a skin. The only limitation is that the edges must be straight. well, the scarof's sawblade can be straight edged and not look bad. maybe you can try to make a Scarof blade with the skin file, then shrink it and attach to joker's arm.

Regarding Mong infighting, what if you replaced both the mong and the stratos with the version right after the boundbox bug was fixed? I remember mong and stratos infight worked fine back then. 

dev2.15 is the last where mong has a kind of infight.
Bad is that it isn't that easy to copy all files back, because all errors with stale frames are back again.
There is no difference in the mongrunt.qc or fight.qc so it stays a wonder to me. 
No 
I've gone back to dev2.09 and although in that map mong seems to infight, as soon as I use the dev2.09.qc and try it on a map there are only mongs that react with a counter attack, but then run blind to the player.

I get a bit irry about this stupid error.
I wanted to make chasm monsters work in quake,
not why they won't fight eachother. 
You Shall Not Chasm In Quake 
A bit hillarius about the mong accident. I think it's there but it is a small error compared to the things that work well. :P

Anyway, this is as far as I have come and I know there are attack scenes that could do better. But I'm no coder, as good as I can do.

Here's is the latest map, I didn't change much. I deleted the Grunt_check_Attack in fight.qc after I saw it make ingame fights. But they are much to obvious. Not ment as a truely counter attack.

dev2.34 

what about using Quake Grunt code instead of enforcer code for the Mong? 

How come the mong fires a little arrow now instead of the correct attack (shotgun)? 

I've been trying different attacks for mongrunt to see if it changes the infight.
The original code was the quake grunt, but soldiers don't infight eachother.
The small arrow is the frame of the animation becausw I switched the code to enforcer.

Not enough to make it more alert, which is strange because the other chasm monsters with quiete the same code have no trouble with infight. 

what code is the alien warrior based on? The alien warrior is one monster that never had any problems with infighting. maybe use alien warrior code for Mong? 
Infight 
Most chasm monsters are made up by altered enforcer.qc.
The little arrow is the goblin code used for the mgrunt.qc.

The longer I change the attack code for mgrunt, the more I come to see that this isn't the cause of the error.

All other chasm react the way they should do with enforcer code.
Only Mong seems to be the exception that won't relate to the infight code.
If it would be the soldier/grunt attack it would be clear as they don't infight eachother.
But whatever attack code I give to Mong, after one or two counteracts he just stops, as hunting player_target is prior.

I see no reason why target = self.enemy; only leads to player attack, and not on other monsters. 

Perhaps IW or qmaster can step in and fix this infight error again lol 

look at the code of the AD shotgun enforcer? 

I changed all references to grunt into mong to assure there is no relation with grunt or army whatever.
The only way to get the buck go infight is to delete its melee attack bite, then 25% change it goes infight.

Let's call him JackPotMong! 

what bite attack? Mong only has punch and kick melee attack 
Yes 
But they are ordered with an altered dog bite attack which is split up in punch & kick. 

so the mong no longer punch and kick? 
Not So Fast 
I'm just testing why the mong won't infight. Deleting as much attack statements may show why it won't leave the player alone and concentrate on other enemies.

Mong has two attack scenes, bite that is used for push and kick and the shoot scene.
Placing an army and mong in a map the infight always goes one way. Mong gets shots, fires one or two counter attacks and if the army soldier would not interact it wouldn't fight back at all.

So deleting the bite attack would make it only survive in the shoot attack. In that case it would have the exact code as the army guy. And they should fight eachother.

Just don't get it why mong is so concentrated on the player, leaving other enemies out hand. 

The failure is a bit hillarious, because I made a mong soldier with exact the same animation frames as the army soldier.
In this way I could give it the same qc as the monster_army.
Mong stays lame. 
Rain 
It might be a retoric question, but after all this time I use quakspasm I haven't been able to add rain. I can't find the right plug to do so and no way to use the right parms.

Is there anyone who could hand me a reasonable argument for this? 

maybe look at Abyss Of Pandemonium? 

The quakespasm thread had the particle.ref file, but the link is death. 

I think you should release the mod in the following order: Monsters, weapons, then finally the maps if you convert them. The monster models were always chasm's strongest aspect, and the maps the weakest. 
Goose Chase 
I recoded the mong soldier for better infight, but it seems hardly have any outcome. Maybe I should be content with a counter attack or two.

If I'm right there is only the attack of the end bosses now that need to be more accurate.

dev2.35 

There is another issue, you need to figure out why the rockets and the sphinx fireballs do not explode. 

I think the use of the own sphinx sound of explode gives the impression they don't explode.

What I have is the Faust, Viking, Gross and Orc all trhowing enemies have an explosion, but the straight line to the player is converged aside. 
Love This! 
Nothing much to say, but I love that you guys are working on a chasm mod. I was messing around with what you have already in TrenchBroom a bit. So cool. 

So the monsters are pretty much done other then the mong issue, and Phamtom, and the explosion issue? 
Sure! 
@xaGe: fine to hear! Do you watch the map in Trenchboom or are you planning to make one of your own?

@yhe1: I'm still surprising myself about the mong. After working with all kind of quake models he is still on top of my list. Never engaged such behaviour before. If I had to code him the way he refuses infight I couldn't have used more time.
The straight lines you want it to attack is something my qc is struggling with.

I think the explosion issue is that the chasm sounds I used are much lower in volume than the ones quake uses. I'll reverse them. 
Well... 
I'm using a copy of your test77 with my fgd I made for chasm_dev in TrenchBroom. I realize it's dev and things can change, but I have about every monster in, working on adding the rest of the items you currently have.

https://i.imgur.com/FohtkEr.png

I've also added my own spin on the qc and so far have only plugged in Joshua Skelton's misc_model support so mappers can add their own models and sprites, animated or not. 
Chasm / Quake Wad 
That's quite an achievement! I work with Radiant1.5 and have to add the entities by hand.
Good to see you have found the right workaround for it. So the chasm.wad file will also be on its purpose.
I have made two uploads to quaketastic. One with the usual textures and one with the tga files, which are the comments chasm.wad.
I tried out to see if it would be worthwhile to make an extra texture file with the original wad, but couldn't find any difference in game. 
Madfox 
I work with Radiant1.5 and have to add the entities by hand.
If you mean by that, that you add each one individualy via the entity inspector, i could create a .ent file, if needed. 
I Will Go Grab Those Now. 
Thank you for letting me know about the wads. I sent you a few messages on Discord Madfox, but from the looks of it, you don't use that much. :) 
Before The Wadfather.., 
@_wakey: it would be welcome, I hardly had timegoing mapping for Chasm maps. It could help future attempts, or others.

I have mainly been busy processing the chasm entities in a qc file. In order to have good terrain for this, I copied the first chasm folder. The first thing I came up with is that the wad file is slightly different from Quake's. Mainly in the yellow and pink colors. What I did not succeed are the textures with transparency, which there are still a lot in it. In the end I decided, just like with an HR texture, to add the original chasm tga files. In the game itself I don't see much difference, but when I look at the comparable colors of for example the skin color of the joker, I think it can be done much better. Quake simply has such an obscure range.

@_xaGe: you can find it in the quacktastic/texture files. As the quake.pal and the chasm.pal are rather different I decided to add a tga file with the original chasm.wad colors.

And Dischord. It could be me, but I can't last five minutes on that site by constantly refreshing the page.
It just upsets me, and that's even exaggerated for my actions. :P 
Madfox 
You could have done what the commercial mod Malice did and just use it's own custom palette in quake. The downside to this would be if you used any of the many quake wads available to create maps for chasm_dev the colors would be off.

Looking over the chasm00.wad I think the conversion choices you made to the chasm textures over to the quake palette look plenty fine.

It's been a while since I played chasm so I am right now via DOSBox for inspiration. I'm looking through the cell texture assets and other stuff too. I keep forgetting chasm came with a map editor, might try to run that later too. 

I don't think the colors are currently that far off or ugly, its just a little lighter. The mong's infighting is the bigger issue lol 
Edit 
Initially I thought it would work the same as with HD textures. Just place an extra subdirectory with the (chasm.wad) textures and they would be used in game. That way it would preserve the quake.wad and still use the original chasm.wad.

I tried several ways to see but there was no obvious difference. It looks as if the extra textures are just neglected.
What I do concern is that I see no way to get the transparent in game. There should be a workaround for it using bmp to add an alpha channel.

I got the chasm editor working, but it has a real tacky way for using it. I'm not familiar with doom editing customs. But it works, although working in DOS Box is a bit cranky.

And Yeh, that mong. I'm still surprised you captured that buggy, yhe1. If I had to code it I would be as narrative as he is.
Still crunching on that infight. 
Yeah About That.. 
Chasm editor is a PITA to get to run via DOSBox so I gave up on it. It was out of curiosity more than anything else I wanted to try to run it.

I've been converting the chasm static models objects I don't see in your chasm_dev yet. There are many in the game that are used as map decorations. Any of them will be easy for the mapper to include in there maps with a misc_model entity so not every one of them needs to be defined in the QC. I am only converting those that can't be done with mapping brushes fairly easily. Those static game models that can be made from map brushes I am extracting their textures to make a wad for the mapper. 
And External Textures Load Fine For Me. 
They are loading. 
Also About The Transparent Map Textures... 
I know how to convert the chasm textures with transparent parts over to quake. So I have been doing that. 
Props 
I have no idea about pita. If you're using the original game, there is a file called CSM_EDIT.exe which turns on the editor in dosbox. Then it takes some intuition to make it run.
editor game play

Most static models I have gathered but only used the ones in the first map. Some I remade as the buzzing flies didn't move, or the turning_walls had to have a framed model.

I'm really looking forward to the transparent textures, as they would make a lot of the premade statics unusefull. 

I've been busy. I have done a bunch of things.

Only this to show right now. Made these along with others from chasm model textures. Example: https://i.imgur.com/fjLY3Ro.png

I don't use these forums much madfox, but I left you messages on discord if you ever log in there. :-) 

Madfox, did you make any breakthrough with the Phantom's attack? 
He Is In Ai_cafe With A Milkshake 
I'm still searching in weapons.qc attack. Aiming the player versus spread attack are quit different parms.

Let's invite a helicopter to leave, like the start demo of Malice.
Quasm_dev2.36 
I think the Quasm name is already used.
I made some new additions to the attack scenes by moving code from the monsters to the weapons.qc.

Faust and Gross made a progress. LCapt with its double shot ruins to colapsing. It gives my screen too much debris and squeeks all sides.

Sacrof falls in a half death pose, noreason why. Its larger version with the same code runs fine.
They also won't react to a target function.

And no, I can't create a parallel attack,..yet.
Quasm_dev2.36 

What about the Faust's rocket? does it explode now? 
Yes 
Chasm sounds are not as clear as Quake. They are delayed and roll after eachother. Also the sv_starts oud keeps warning.

DeathGuy looks better now I changed its death pose. L CAPTAIN ruins the screens with its attack. It causes so much debris the screen collapse. 

No, change the alien captain back to how it was, in Chasm, sometimes it could even fire six shots from each arm. All you need to do is change the lasers from orange to green.

so the mong is infighting with the Stratos again. Nice. 

Al captain works fine now, five double shots in a row. Six times is a bit much for a five frame attacks. Enough to get killed in one range.
Phantom remains, but I think I have a solution for it. 

How does an Alien captain vs Shambler fight go now? If they are pretty evenly matched, then it would be good.

The skeleton is missing the headbutt/bite attack. It is the same attack as that the goblin has. He also moves a bit too fast and his model sinks a bit into the floor. 

It is the attack time that counts in this case. They might have the same health, but by the time a Shambler launches an attack it already has five laser blasts from ElCaptain.
Skeleton is just fixed in its pose range. I haven't sealed it off. It's poses are a little shatters, reason why it's deathpose is scrambled. 
Shambler Wins! 

Dev2.37 
- Returned MongCheckattack.
- LCaptain double fire range.
- Fantom with spread attack.
- Deleted chmbat and lizzard.

quasm_dev2.37 

It seems like the mong will react to a kick by a stratos, but not a ranged attack. Could you check this? maybe you can solve this infight bug once and for all.

Nice to see the Faust's rocket explode now. It should be the same strength as a ogre's grenade.

Also remember that the sphinx's fireballs should also explode, just like the faust.

Why did you delete the lizard and the chasm bat? The Lizard is a fully functional monster, and the chasm bat's model should be used for the Phantom's fireball. 

the big Phamtom's attacks seems to work good, but the damage per fireball is too low. It should be 25 per fireball for a total of 75 dmg if all three hit.

Gross does not infight with goblin, check their code and bounding box 

Something is wrong with the Goblin's code, now even when I am close to it, it shoots me with its crossbow instead of headbutt and punching me. 

I deleted chmbat and lizard because they don't exist in the original game.
I can give phantom a spread attack, but I use the hellknight code. If I use a missile attack it looses it's spread attack. A bit kinky to give a missile a spread attack.
I think the code of goblin is hussled, I'll check it out. 

I think there is a misunderstanding for the Phantom's attack. I am not saying changing the code or making a missile attack. I am wondering where this model came from:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdncjrotg0zxret/star.jpg?dl=0

and I am saying this model should be replaced with the Chasm bat.

The Gross' fireball should not explode, He throws rocks in Chasm, so the lavaball should be retextured as a white rock.

The Lizard is fully functional, it should be added back in. Who cares if it is not in the orginal game.

Regarding the small sacrof's corpse floating in the air. could it be because the game still thinks that the corpse is suppose to be big, like the large sacrof?

The large sacrof fires a rocket. I think you should give the small Scarof a grenade.

Can you give the Stratos double rockets? I want to see if it looks good. The manual said that the double ringed attack is supposed to be rockets anyway. 

One more thing, the mong never punch now, always uses his rifle even when I am close to him, so check his code. 
Banshee 
That model is the banshee I gave Phantom, although it had to be chmbat. I did so because banshee is better vissible than chmbat.

The melee attacks disapeared when I use monsters in weapons.qc.
Now they're back on check_attacks.

Who cares if it is not in the orginal game.
Maybe that is where the misunderstanding starts.

I think you aim at the both phantom's corpses in the air?
And no, they both are seperated by the
setsize (self, VEC_HULL2_MIN, VEC_HULL2_MAX); for the biggy and setsize (self, '-24 -28 -24', '24 28 56'); for the small one.

I can do the things you want to, but first let's see how far we have come yet.

Quasm_dev2.38 

well, since Chasm only has the big Phantom, I best course of action would be to give the chasm bat to the big Phamtom, while giving the banshee to the small phantom. This will also differentiate the two monsters.

Where did you get the corpses for the Scarof, Sphinx, and Phantom? In Chasm, when these bosses are defeated, they explode into gibs, leaving no corpses.

You don't like the the Lizard? That was the first model you converted, right? Just though its a shame to leave him out. 

In 2.38, the Faust's rockets no longer explode.

But since you got the explode rockets working, maybe create a missile turret? Quake base maps always lacked automated defenses. 

viking is short compared to Lion man, I think they should be the same size. 

It depends on the supriority of the both. As Banshee is more vissible I could give it to the small fantom.
Chmbat could be freshened up with a fullbright skin as this way it is hardly to see.

The corpses? I went to the local abatoir and, no the end of the death scenes I covered up by using the pain frame as a copy and slowly turned them untill the fell horizontal. Some scrubbing with bodyparts.

The lizard, yes. Let's say it was the only model I couldn't find in the Chasm file, although they used it in the viewer, so I tried it out in my own way. The result is a bit freaky, and compared to the other chasm monsters falls out of line, I think.

Faust's rockets no longer explode
Not sure what you mean, I can hear them clear.

Again, I hate turrits! It feels like a stupid fool banging that creepy fridge.
Viking was a bit bigger, only small problem.., then he looks over you.

Madfox, I made two videos showing the faust rocket bug

first is version 2.36

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zoi5qlvl0u5w0g0/236.mp4?dl=0

Next is version 2.38

https://www.dropbox.com/s/24vpma5a9eu7gfu/238.mp4?dl=0

You can clearly see the rockets exploding in 2.36, but they no longer explode in 2.38

Hope it helps you fix this bug. 

Some technical stuff:

Starting with version 2.37, the map becomes really dark, like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jkrqc27i1xn9idg/238%20dark.jpg?dl=0

I had to use r_fullbright 1

and I thought you fixed the skins already?

with regular quakespasm, I get:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ybkns7y04vzobui/238%20skin.jpg?dl=0 
Slip Of The Qc 
Thank you for your consideration.

It is indeed a dark level, I turned off the skylight to adjust the static lights.

As for Faust's behavior, in version 2.36, the weapons are embedded in weapons.qc so that explains why the missiles do explode. In version 2.38 I put the same feats in faust.qc with the result that there is now no explosion. I don't know exactly what this is yet, just that version 2.36 is not stable.

Somehow the previous texture formats ended up there. I have been too preoccupied with Phantom's attack that it has escaped me.

I will look at it. 

OK, just remember that the Scarof's rocket and Stratos rocket must also explode.

The sphinx's fireball does not explode, I remembered wrong, but you might want to find a better fireball for him, a rock does not look good.

Also, I think the Skeleton's sword projectile does not look good, should be some of skull projectile, the original is impossible to create in quake anyway. 
I Got A Litle Typo 
Just didn't see it what Mong distrracted from infight. It was very simple indeed, Shamblernaut. Still I had no idea after your message on discord.
I kept on going wit the Mong's run function that I didn't see the typo, as it was encapsulated in the sound message. ai_walk had to be ai_run.

void() grun_run1 =[ $run1, grun_run2 ]
{
if (random() < 0.2)
sound (self, CHAN_VOICE, "grunt/atk1.wav", 1, ATTN_IDLE);
ai_walk(18);
};

Now it is running fine.
Thanks for the advice on this weary long lacking subject!
It was beyond my expectation monsters would infight,
always went for the full confrontation.

Quasm_dev2.39 

Check the skeleton and the goblin. They only use their ranged attacks.

and the Viking looks really tiny next to the gross.

I think you should start testing Chasm vs quake monsters again to ensure balance. 

The mong does not use his melee attacks. You also need to change his weapons back to a shotgun.

And I think your first release should only contain the monsters. The colors on the ammo boxes look pretty bad because of the difference in the Palette. 
Yes, Tiny Viking. 
Skeleton, Mong and Goblin use ranged attacks (?).
Stop Them!

Quasm_dev2.4 

The goblin's bound box is still wrong, other monsters don't fight back after being hit by him.

The Gross's rock throw is flying too far up, the correct path should be like the fatguy's axe. 

The alien trooper also has a skin file taller than 480 
Goblin's bbox right, Gross projectile right.
I couldn't find skin textures higher then 214.

Quasm_dev2.40 

I sometimes get an Progs/flubber.mdl not found msg, can you look into this?

Also try to test your chasm mod with the regular quakespasm.

So I guess the last major hurdle is too debug why the fausts rockets don't explode, and adding the skeleton's bite attack. 

The Progs/flubber.mdl not found msg happens when using regular quakespasm 
Yeh? 
debug fausts rockets

I'll look for the flubber error. 
Yhe1 
I try to understand what is the cause you have no explosion on Faust.

Do you hear no explosion sound or don't you see an explosion3 sprite? The last can be a bit strange, because a missile won't give a grenade sprite.

Corrected The Sacrofage deathpose.

Quasm_2.41 

Solved the flubber error. Watched the Joker beat me with its three bite attacks. What to add what is already there.

Quasm_dev2.42 

I do not see an explosion sprite.

Madfox, you need to add the bite attack to the skeleton. The joker always had the attack. 

Madfox, I think you misunderstand the issue. The explosion sound is there, what you need to do is add the explosion sprite to the missile attack. The Rocket ogres and the AD Rocketeer all have the explosion sprite. 

Yhe1 
the explosion sprite is calculated in the missile_attack, but for some reason not vissible.

The issue is that I don't understand why you search a bite attack that is allready there. Skeleton has three bite routines beside the sword attack, as the Joker has.

Why do you try to play the game under Fitzquake0.85 , while you know it has the skin texture failure? 

yes, that is what I mean, make the explosion sprite visible.

I made a video of the skeleton's attacks here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yngvjll4hkb5znd/video-1598592857.mp4?dl=0

two sword attacks, one ranged attack.

Compared to the Original:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yngvjll4hkb5znd/video-1598592857.mp4?dl=0

The bite attack at 0:39 is missing. 

The crash screenshot is not from fitzquake 0.85, it is from regular quakespasm. regular quakespasm saids fitzquake.085 server in the console. 

sorry, the original chasm skeleton video is here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3zrgrpyuypmoupg/video-1579461918.mp4?dl=0

As I said, the bite attack is at 0:39 

Please do one more test, if you do enough damage to gib a turret with a rocket or grenade, does it cause the game to crash? 

Something is wrong with the Small Sacrof, it won't walk towards me when I fight him. Its sounds are also wrong, its melee attack sounds like a missile. 
Something's Wrong Indeed 
dear yhe1

# 476 "make the explosion sprite visible" is present in the code.
Code: "make the explosion sprite visible!".
Well code.., "hurry up with that explosion sprite!".

You make a video to show that there are four attack methods for the Skeleton.
I can only find three attack methods.
I think you are confused with the "hussle" pose, which I used as an idle pose.
I could use these as an attack tactic, but I hope you understand that I will never be able to get EXACTLY the original Chasm code in Quake.

"does it cause the game to crash"
I get a bit lost, I have never seen the game crash, but I have noticed that when you use different engines, your sdl.dll is changed, so that I'm not surprised to see the game crashes.
AGAIN: why do you try to use Fitzquake0.85 to test the game, while you know it doesn't work in that engine, even if it is quakespasm?

The small sacrof does not come to you, because it is placed a little too high. We are still in the testing case. If you are realy that concerned, why don't you make a map on your own, with the sacrof, put it in a subdirectory with the given progs.dat and see for yourself?

I appreciate your attention to test the game, but I get a little fuxed if you really expect me to try to get exactly Chasm into Quake. Some things like a skeleton, which should give an explosion sprite, which I just put in the code, and doesn't work, I just have no explaination for. It makes me feel like a fool, who doesn't understand the qcc code.
(Which I do only partly, but do all my best to understand.) 

Madfox, I think you misunderstand. I appreciate you making the Chasm devkit, I think you totally should work at your own pace. The issues I point out and record here are to make it easier for you to remember. Think of it like a log. But definitely do not think I am rushing you. 

In fact, I think your chasm monsters are pretty much perfect except for this skeleton bite thing and the rocket explosion sprite. Once those are done, just change a couple of projectiles (which I already know you can do), then you can release. But Like I said before, definitely work at your own pace and don't think I am pressuring you. 

Madfox, I just checked, The bite attack I am talking about is indeed your idle pose. Sorry about that. 
1 post not shown on this page because it was spam
First | Previous | Next | Last
You must be logged in to post in this thread.
Website copyright © 2002-2020 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.