News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Hit Me With The Knowledge Yo.
Okay so what has been happening gaming / mapping wise in the last 6 months?? I've scanned through GA and stuff, spotted some things, but am getting keen on gaming again so want to know what's around.

So far:

Gaming:

Prey - this is good right?

HL2 EP1 - same?

Titan Quest - everyone seems to have been playing this?

Demos:

Dark Messiah - pwn.

DOW: DC - kinda cool.

Penumbra - interesting.

Maps:

(This is where I'll need to most advice).

DM3RMX - great fun.

There was some Doom3 map released that was some good, right??

What else is going on (yes, I saw Spirit's runes, classy stuff)??

Prey is fucking awesome cool in the beginning but as it moves on it gradually goes more and more meh and then it ends.

HL2 EP1 is like a really really well made custom map pack that someone figured out how to hack a walking, talking Alyx into. Very good.
Everyone are looking forward to EP2 with great anticipation because there we get new environments and shit and we get Portal which is awesome and TF2 which has some really sexy character models.

Vondur started playing World of Warcraft and now noone likes him anymore.

I've not played a cool new map or game in a hundred weeks. 
Oh 
Ahem 
Yeah what czg said, except I still love Vondur! 
Shambler 
Prey insulted me as a gamer, quite frankly.

Here's my full review outlining the reasons: http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=23795&start=602

In a nutshell: <spoiler>You can't die</spoiler> 
Kinn 
what's difference between save/load procedure or that one seen in prey? i see no difference, but prey's is better because it's tied to the story ~_^ 
Yes 
Since you can save at any point in most games these days, failing the game is merely an annoyance.
Prey made it so that annoyance was less because you could still continue playing the game while dead. 
Prey 
eveyone says the same thing about prey - starts good and becomes tired quickly, same as doom3. I haven't played it yet and probably won't (I gave away my copy of doom3 since I hated its caveman level design, no matter how nice it looked).

You've got to remember that games are a product and all the cool features you see in the first handful of levels (or even just the first level) were most likely meant to be spaced out throughout the entire game. But then marketing says - 'holy shit, put everything good in level 1 or else no-one will buy it after playing the demo!' Because they seem to forget that gamers actually talk to each other.

I have the most fun now playing through old (or new) q1 maps/mods or else going through the archives of other great games of yesteryear. I liked HL2 despite its funnelyness (?) and crap ending but the amount of stuff available for free in terms of studio mods etc. makes it well worthwhile - just a shame steam doesn't work unless it feels like it. 

I enjoyed Prey (especially the gravity bits and the flying bits), and thought it was a fun game, but have no desire to play it again. Also, the protagonist was a douchebag, which was annoying at times.

I'll add my voice to the "HL, ep. 1 was very good" crowd, especially the "holy shit, zombies! Get to the elevator" bit.

Shambler, dunno if you play RPGs, but Oblivion is quite good. Immense and immersive and fun and all the better for next-gen goodness. Also the combat system is immeasureably better than Morrowinds and is actually based on movement/timing/contact rather than purely chance-based per skill level.

Also, I'll use this as another opportunity to pimp Trackmania Nations. If you like racing games at all, give it a shot. It's FREE. I'm the only one I know who's totally hooked on making tracks for this. It's like heroin. :( The editor is easy to use and fun, and it's nice to crank out a finished "level" in an evening, complete with intro and replay cam. My tracks can be found here (search by pjw):

http://nations.tm-exchange.com/main.aspx?action=tracksearch

Okay, I'll shut up about frikking Trackmania Nations now. 
Pjw 
I'll go download those! I've been playing Trackmania over the summer, and even held a racing competition at a recent LAN event. 
Cheers So Far. 
Point taken about Prey's un-killable issues, and it being another FPS. But hell, FPSes rock, and it looked good, I'll certainly get it. I don't mind a more relaxed game sometimes ;). How does it run??

Morrowind 2, ah yes, I did see that, and it did look very cool. I am tempted but equally I know how stupidly addictive these RPG things can be. Guild Wars raped my life, then my ass. I'd probably best not get involved with this, and wait for Dark Messiah and it's 5 hours of gameplay ;).

On the subject of MMORPGs, Vondur joined WOW whilst everyone else is playing Titan Quest HUH. Why do I end up playing the unfashionable MMORPGs :(. I thought GW was really good and you should have been playing that instead.

What else, if anything, are people playing online??

Also, more maps!

And scandals! 
Oh. 
And one more thing.

Tech.

What is it doing these days? Where are we standing with processors and cards and shizznizzle??

Keep it simple please, lots of fancy terms and numbers confuse me.

I'm still running a P4 2.8 gig, 1 gig RAM, and a Radeon 9800 Pro 256meg, from November 2k3! This ran Dark Messiah demo and Penumbra demo very well incidentally. I presume it will do okay with Prey and HL2E1?

Any thoughts on upgrading etc etc. 
Thanks Vigil! 
Warning, some of them (especially the "Way, Way Too Hard!" series of tracks) are really retardedly stupidly difficult and may make you want to stab yourself, or me.

You should make some tracks. It's fun. Just one dose. Try it out. Free the first time...

@Shamb, Dark Messiah was a hog, compared to the other games you mention...you should be okay--although Oblivion is a bit of a beast to run too, if everything's cranked up. 
Prey 
I enjoyed it a lot too, I had no issue really with the invincible player, just meant I could enjoy playing instead of worrying about dying all the time :)

Shamb, prey runs VERY nice, even smoother than doom 3 on my rig actually, dunno what they did to the code but its great.

You should think about adding another gig of ram shamb, I added another to my rig and it makes a huge difference, and ram is dirt cheap these days so there is no excuse :)

I would also say upgrade graphics card, the 9800 pro is getting a bit old now... I got myself a Geforce fx 7900 gt (around 180 quid) and runs all the latest games no probs with full details and 4x AA. cant go wrong really... But I dont think they do an AGP slot version (you probably have AGP) whereas these days PCI-Express is the new standard so you might need a new motherboard too... doh. 
Vondur 
what's difference between save/load procedure or that one seen in prey? i see no difference, but prey's is better because it's tied to the story ~_^

Prey gives you access to an unlimited amount of health in order to get through any fight via the "Deathwalk".

Save/Load only lets you continue with whatever health you had at the point you saved. You cannot generate any more health than what you started with (or is placed in the map)

Prey lets you die any amount of times you want during a fight and the damage you've inflicted on enemies is carried over when you respawn.

Save/Load ensures that whatever killed you comes back at the exact state of health it was at the point you saved (and who quicksaves mid-battle anyway? Nutters, that's who). You still have only one "life" in which to kill it fully, even if you are allowed an unlimited number of attempts.

Prey lets you respawn at the exact location you died. Save/Load dumps you at the position at which you saved.

I'm sure there was a less wordy way of saying this, but whichever way you crumble the biscuit, Prey's default mode is still God Mode. 
Oblivion 
I just lost 2 weeks of my life to that game recently, best to stay away from it.

Trackmania is fun yeah, you guys seen this?
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

By the way, Titan Quest isn't an mmorpg is it? 
Shambler / TECH 
CPUs: Intel and AMD have been having a ridiculous price war and now you can get crazy fast CPUs on moderate budget.

Ultimate perfomance king are currently the Intel Core 2 Duo's, which are the pwn. In the sane ~200$ pricerange, the choice is Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+.

GPUs: NVIDIA 7950GX2 if you want uber-perfomance and NVIDIA 7600GT if you want the best perfomance/price ratio at a sane price of 160-170$. 
P.S. 
If you get a new PC and get the parts I listed in the "moderate budget" part to replace your P4 2,8 / R9800, your perfomance in newer games will increase 2,5-3-fold. I am also not kidding. 

Titan Quest is like Diablo, but in ancient Greece. Played that for a bit, was underwhelming.

Company of Heroes by Relic will be released this week in the US, and I've been really enjoying the multiplayer beta. It's like Dawn of War, except more tactical and set in WWII. 
Jago 
Sweet, I will bear that in mind. Don't think I have to upgrade for the current crop and catching up on what I've missed. But maybe for what is coming up next - ET QW and that sort of stuff.

On the subject of which, any interesting news on what IS coming up next? Any ass-shattering developments? 
Err 
Crysis obviously...

Unreal Tournament 2007 is getting closer as well, im not sure if I should mention Stalker but I will, I still have a shred of hope that it will be awesome :D 
I Think 
I've got an ass-shattering development in the pipeline, but one that's probably more to do with the All-Bran I've been eating recently, rather than any game-related work. 
Kinn 
Isn't that to do with CZG's love trumpet stretching tentatively but enthusiastically across the North Sea??

P.S. Crysis, yes, awesome, looks exactly like more Far Cry, which is definitely a Good Thing TM. 
Tech 
Perpendicular recording hard-drives allow you to cram more data in less space, and I've seen some 7200 RPM, SATA, 160GB or possibly in the 200gb range for under $100, reputable brands.

http://www.newegg.com 
WRONG 
I bought a 320 gigabyte SEAGATE(!) SATA drive from newegg a month ago for ~90USD 
YES 
The 320GB Seagate SATA drives are also avaible here for ~90 or so euro. And Seagate is the only manufacturer that gives their HD's a 5 year warranty (all others give 3) so it's really not a tough choice. 
Holy Fucking Shit! 
Free fucking game? With fucking track editor? Really fucking easy? Why the fuck didn't I know about this! I'm fucking downloading it. 
Cheese 
rofl@smab!!! 
Bler 
You might like this, it's what I'm spooging for right now:

http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/home/index.php 
...fucking...fuck? 
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, since I've bleated on about it a few times... 
Kinne I See Yer Pointe 
yeah, that's rather unbalanced to have player respawned with full health, it should be 50% or something to keep things interesting.

Shambler: why wow? well i was ordered to play it at work. Though, I got bored after the week of insane play ;) 
Shambler (sys Spec) 
well every your respawn here leads to hardware update at your depot (or whatever sinister oubliette you live in). good to see you back and all, come to tf if thou wilt, feel yourself at home, and so forth...

since your last appearance here before going to cryolab for 1 year nothing much changed in terms of hardware specs. it's the same gf 6x-7x cards that are top these times. if you have something below 6x i strongly recomend you to get 7x cards (7800/7950). these have all the features and shaders supported and you won't have any troubles. as for the cpu, if you have something around 2-3k GHz it should do. and I think you have 1 Gig of ram already so you don't need anything more (well 2 gigs should improve things on very hungry games like oblivion or something).

as for the prey, it's very fast if you use hw spec like mentioned above, nothing will prevent you to set 1280x1024 and all high and play comfortably.

so there, hope my silly info helps. 
Von: 
well every your respawn here leads to hardware update at your depot (or whatever sinister oubliette you live in). good to see you back and all, come to tf if thou wilt, feel yourself at home, and so forth...

Cheers for that, sinister oubliette LOL :).

Actually I don't think in this case I'm intending to upgrade now, just scouting out the options.

Zwiffle: Ah yes, good point. Hadn't followed that one much. But on a similar theme, what about Warhammer: Mark Of Chaos - looks like a seriously stylish RTS, will definitely get that.

Anyway people: MAPS! (please?) 
Pjw 
Seriously, I do not ever remember hearing about that ever before. Ever.

I've seriously downloaded it, and I'm going to seriously check it out next time I have a few serious seconds, but seriously that's probably not going to be any serious time soon. Seriously. 
Quick Tip 
Trackmania Nations has Starforce.
Just FYI. 
Trackmania Nations 
looks great fun, but it hangs my pc anything from 5 seconds - 10 minutes into a gam, which totally destroys it :( even blue screened windows at one point which is a massive achievement as I've never seen a BSOD on winXP before... 
Czg 
True--I probably should have said that. It's never given me any trouble. *shrug*

Your milage may vary, so to speak.

Also, why Starforce on a free game? Who knows. It is a mystery... 

you guys think prey will run on a 2.0ghz AMD sampron w/ 896 of ram? with a geforce 61000 w/ 256 ram? 
The Demo Ran Like A Dream 
on my system, which in both CPU and Video Card is probably about a generation behind yours. 
GF 6100 = NO 
The 6100 is comparable to GF4 FX5200 in perfomance, probably even lower. 
Prey Demo 
Runs better on my Athlon 64 1.8 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 128MB PCI-E GeForce 6200 LE (shared 512 MB) than Doom 3 demo even does! Whatever. Not awesomely smooth, but about medium details it's quite playable. 
Guild Wars 
Shambler, im downloading the game as we speak (legally...) dunno how the servers work, is there just 1 or multiple ones? If there is more than 1 which one are you on? 
I See 
The 6100 is comparable to GF4 FX5200 in perfomance, probably even lower.

My current card is a Radeon 9500 Pro, so I missed that marker by a bit. 
Daz... 
Well...I'm not playing it much any more, kinda reached an impasse with the last missions. But if you get hooked on it and get to the later stuff, preferably the Desert or later, then I could meet up for some action. Certainly if you get to the Ring Of Fire (post-curry shizzle snort).

Errrr but it is quite a big and complicated game to progress in. You can do it kinda quickly by just doing missions but there is a hell of a lot to do not least with character customisation and all...

As for servers, they are divided into international and european districts, and sub-districts within that. You can only meet people in towns and cities and arrange to do missions from there. You'll see. There's quite a bit to learn. See if Kapt Kinn is still playing, he was quite early on.

P.S. MAPS! Where are the MAPS, people?! 
Shambler 
Guild Wars 
I stopped playing it around the time Shambler last saw me in there, which was quite a while ago. Would they still have preserved my account after all this time? I might be tempted to mess around in it again as long as I don't have to start over again 
As Far As I Know 
GW accounts don't get deleted due to inactivity. If you haven't loaded it up for a while you might find a nice little birthday present in the inventory of any characters that are over one year old. 
Hehe 
Yeah, after I started playing GW again I had a Christmas present for me. The expansion pack is pretty good too. The new classes are pretty unique, and the settings are gorgeous (at the start) but turn butt ugly for like the middle part of the game, when you're in this HUGE Chinese slum. I haven't gotten too far in Factions yet because my friend lost his internet, and I only really played because of him, but it's fun. 
Ankh. 
Oh yes, I've got that in C:\Quake\id1 - so I guess I played it too. I seem to remember it being good, some nice surprises / ambushes, interesting layout, and an easy ending?

Any more or do I have to actually scan the news threads myself?? :P

Zwiffle - for some reason, I wasn't that enticed by the GW XP - it looks kinda cool but the settings didn't grab me so much...

My favourite places in GW are:

Southern Shiverpeaks
Northern Shiverpeaks
Desert
Canyonlands near Maugma 
Easy Ending 
everybody says the map had easy ending. I should have closed some bars behind the player to prevent escaping and it would be much harder.
Did you see the speedruns? Really good stuff I think.
http://speeddemosarchive.com/quake/mkt.pl?level:hdn 
Sham... 
i assume you've looked at all the QExpo maps then? 
Shambler 
Do NOT, I repeat NOT, try that "Tail's Quake" thing. You would die of disgust as much as I know you. ;) 
Shambler 
starbuck released some cool hi res idbase textures. 
Shambler 
If you want new maps, then use your powers and bring Tronyn back to life. You'll have a chance to get 2 new large q1sp maps. 
Shambler 
PuLSaR is not joking when he says "large." 
Except When A Girl Asks Him How Big It Is!!! 
OMG LOL!

Ah, I crack myself up.

Seriously though, go find Tronyn. 
Also,,, 
if you sweet-talk RPG enough, he might finish up this really pretty base map that may or may not have once been called "cardo the unstoppable love machine" before being renamed to "sm69" and then "rectal ambition" and then "Am-Besek". 
Okay.... 
So why didn't anyone mention the development of Bioshock (looks/sounds cool) nor Gothic 3 then? Eh? What? 
Because 
both games have been in development for years, so shame on you if you haven't heard of them yet. gothic3 will be released in about three weeks (at least the german version) and i'll be so getting it no matter what... 
Well... 
They have been discussed plenty in #tf, if you weren't such a snob maybe you would of heard about them there. :D 

He's a snob + noob... a snoob. 
Oi 
You buggers. I might be back on IRC, I'm not sniffy about it, just got into other habits.

Anyway.

9 minutes.

One for Daz or Zwiff - any of you managed to beat the Dark Crusade Demo skirmish map by Take And Hold in under 9 minutes?? I've been trying and got to 9.03, by spawning at the top of the map, and researching jump packs first to get my Stealth Suits to the central point ASAP. Any other suggestions?? (And yeah I'm sure it can be done with Annihilation quicker...) 
Um 
shamb you are the only person i know that speedruns rts maps LOL

TBH my rts playing time at the moment is 100% going into Company of Heroes, damn this game just prawns everything before it. maybe even total annhilation (!!!).

Gives me a warm fuzzy about dawn of war 2 too =) GO TYRANIDS! 
Daz... 
Ummm yeash well, it's not really speed running, there are no tricks and stuff, but basically with most DOW skirmish, if you are quick enough in the first minute, you will piss most maps. And I was just playing around with that....cos once you can do that skirmish is kinda boring, you have two choices to make it fun - go as quick as possible, or turtle around a small base and wait for an impressive AI assault....but it's all quite artificial... 
So... 
I've just ordered Prey and HL2E1.

And waiting for Dark Messiah, HL2E2, Guild Wars Nightfall, DOW Dark Crusade and maybe Gothic 3.

That's it right?? Anything obvious I've missed?

Hmmm. Guess I'll trawl the news threads for some maps too... 
''this Is Fucked Up!'' 
wasting money on prey?! - "no, THIS is fucked up!" 
Huh? 
Prey rocks! By far the best doom3 powered fps! But it is a tad easy as you cannot die (lol)

Shambler I see you haven't got company of heroes on your list, I would recommend it its a fantastic game... I think the demo gives a good presentation of the full game, single player at least, MP I cant comment on yet as I have not played enough but it looks damn fun...

I am currently level 14 in GW (just reached lions arch) and will probably buy factions/nightfall if it holds my interest for the duration of level 14-20.

Other games I am still pining for are supreme commander (plz be cool!), ET:QW and Stalker (lol)...

I will always have hope for stalker! 
Stalker 
Oh yeah, I thought about doing that double order bonanza at Amazon with DNF ;).

How are you finding Guild Wars?? Sounds like your cruising a bit. I might have to fire it up again. I find the area around Lion's a bit bland, but once you get further on it gets well inspiring again. I think I'm going to leave Factions as it doesn't look as nice, but get Nightfall.

Hmmmm Company Of Heroes - can't say I am particularly inspired by WW2 stuff BUT it does look pretty damn cool in the shots. Will have to give the demo a look I guess! 
GW 
Well it has really nice things and some things that bug me, but overall its a nice little game that I can dip into pretty much whenever I like :)

For instance, in WoW I had to play for hours on end to achieve anything, and it ended up sucking away all my free time, in GW I can pop online and do a few story missions, collect some materials and make a new piece of armour all in 1 hour which is fantastic imo, getting something like that done in WoW would take an entire day :D

It feels odd not being able to use all my chracrers skills at the same time like you can in WoW, but this does add a nice little "minigame" of choosing how to setup your character, do you go all damage skills but no healing or sacrifice dmg to add a few spells or a healing signet? Its interresting to play around with different skill combos and see what works.

A few things that bug me though, invisible walls in most areas (hello 1996), no auction house, cant link items in chat which makes selling anything with stats a chore.

Overall though I am digging it! 
WoW Versus GW 
Lots of pros and cons to both, but at the end of the day GW has no monthly fee and is less of a time sink!

I actually haven't played the original version (just Factions, since it is a stand-alone game if you don't own the original). Hadn't played it but for one weekend (super busy at work), but this last week I had some time off and the wife and I picked it up again and played it quite a bit.

Incidentally, part of the reason we got into it again is that they had a preview weekend where you could play the first part of Nightfall for free. After playing that I'll definitely pick it up, it seems more PvE oriented than Factions (which is good for me, no interest in PvP in this type of game).

There were many different areas and themes (all nicely done) just on the first island, the new character classes were cool, and you can now have "hero" henchman (you can order them around more, choose their skills and equipment, etc).

If I had to recommend any one version I'd definitely say grab Nightfall when it comes out in a month - bear in mind that I haven't played the original Prophecies campaign though. 
Woohoo. 
So, when it's released, we'll have some func_terrafusion get togethers with Mr and Mrs Fribbles ;) 

Mrs Fribbles OWNS Mrs Trinca just like to play Super Pang lol 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.